Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Reviews: 684 | Hads: 3,411
4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

A: This poured 100% pitch black with thick dark brown head. Maybe the darkest beer I've seen.
S: It smelled like rich dry cocoa and cinnamon and chipotle, with fresh roasted coffee and vanilla and chili powder, and a bit of toffee.
T: It tasted like rich chocolate and chili powder and chipotle, with fresh roasted coffee and cinnamon and vanilla, with a bit of molasses. It had a spicy and very dry aftertaste that was bittersweet.
M: It was crazy thick with a little carbonation. Maybe the fullest body I've had.
D: This was perhaps my favorite stout on record. I could imagine bourbon aging to make it even better, so it's maybe not perfect, but man it's close. The scent and taste are so delicious and unbelievably complex. The body is basically perfect. The bit of alcohol heat is masked by the chilies, so it's surprisingly easy to drink. This would be better fresh, I suppose, but I'm sure it would still be great after some years in the cellar. I love this beer and need more ASAP. (989 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Decided to finally review this one after having it quite a few times. Had a few bottles of 2010 and had it on draft at 2011 Hunahpu's release. 2011 Bottle opened on 6/3/11

Appearance: Very dark with a nice tan head that lasts for a good amount of time.

Smell: Great smell, can pick up combination of coffee, vanilla and some great scents of cinammon and chili

Taste: I Picked up some coffee and chocolate with a blend of the chili flavors. Very well put together flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: I like the thickness and creaminess of this one and just the right amount of carbonation

Overall: I really enjoy this one, big stouts tend to be my favorites and this one does not dissapoint at all. One of my favorite overall beers (727 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- pours into the snifter jet black with a small dark beige head. Laces beautifully as it goes down
S- dark chocolate, plenty of chile, cinnamon
T- tons of dark cocoa, beautiful chile flavors that give a subtle bite, lots of cinnamon, some vanilla, some dark fruit, slight coffee notes.
M- silky smooth, way smoother than it should be for 11%
O- its is unlike any beer I have had, the chile works so beautifully with the sweet flavors of the cocoa, cinnamon, and vanilla beans. This was extremely easy to drink for its high abv, and I am so glad I got to try it. (562 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2014 vintage poured into tulip glass. Many thanks to BA Dooshbagalow for the trade!

A: Deep, deep black, with really nice dark brown, cocoa colored head forming and sticking around the edge of the beer's surface. A quick swirl brings it back. Nice lacing around the outside of the glass.

S: Wonderful rotating bombast of sweet spiciness. Bitter dark chocolate, lots of cinnamon, a little vanilla. When cold they're present but muted; as the beer warms and breathes they ramp up.

T: Mmmm. Follows nose, bitter chocolate flavor is first present, with a blast of milk chocolate, cinnamon, and vanilla following. This is a sweet, complex beer, but a hint of bitterness keeps it from being too much. On the very back the chilis present themselves, adding an interesting kick. Alcohol kept in check the whole time, though there is a definite warming sensation. Tastes like a dark mexican chocolate bar with a little booziness. Fantastic.

M: Smooth, think, coats the mouth with all of these wonderful flavors.

O: A really fantastic stout, the hype is certainly warranted. One of the better stouts or beers of any kind that I've had in a long while. Will definitely seek this one out in the future, and stockpile reserves to trade for the DB version. (1,247 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

750ml bottle poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Wow...talk about motor oil. This is the thickest pour I've ever seen. Pours a pitch black...no head at all - just a collar of deep brown and some sparse bubbles on the surface of the glass. No lacing on the glass.

S - Tons of coffee on the first sniff. Alcohol is noticeable, a bit of chile pepper and cinnamon. Coffee definitley dominates, but the other aromas blend in nicely. Some dark chocolate blends in almost as an afterthought. Peppers must be more prominant than I detect by smelling because I can feel them lingering in my nose long after pulling my nose away from the glass. As it warms a bit, I pick up a bit of maple too. Really nice.

T - Wow...cinnamon up front and lingering throughout....combines really well together. Reminds me of some kind of liquored up dessert coffee drink. A bit of caramel...just a hint of pepper, more in the aftertaste and feel than taste, although gets stronger in the flavor when the beer warms up. Chocolate is also more pronounced in the flavor than the aroma for me. Really, this is like the greatest dessert coffee I've ever had. Flavors combine together really well.

M - Definitely full bodied but not as syrupy as the pour would indicate. Carbonation is low, but with enough to give a bit of tingle. A light peppery feel (but no heat), some alcohol warmth too, but hidden pretty well.

D - Really, really nice impy stout. Hype on this one is pretty justified. Wow - great beer. Really need to let this one warm up a bit to really bring out the flavors and aromas. Was excellent when a bit too cold out of the fridge, but absolutely amazing after warming up a bit. (1,662 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Bottle shared by Josh. Thanks! I have been wanting to try this one. Pours oily thick black with dark tan head. Aroma is dark roast, cinnamon, spicy pepper, some chocolate, and coffee. Dense mouthfeel. This beer coats the glass its so thick. Flavors follow the nose and meld together perfectly. There is a touch of heat that I sense in the back of the throat, but its not overpowering. The pepper flavor I think is a real nice touch with the cinnamon and vanilla flavors that tickle my taste buds. Great stuff. More please!! (523 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Much thanks to velcrogrip for this bottle, 2013 vintage.

Appearance: Pours black as death. It's so viscous, thick and creamy. There's a small brown head that quickly goes away.

Smell: Definitely getting vanilla, chocolate and coconut. Some chili pepper character is there underneath everything along with some slight cinnamon. There's also somewhat of an oaky smell, although I don't believe this is barrel aged.

Taste: Chocolate, vanilla and coconut perfectly layered over chili pepper spiciness. The chili pepper element gets stronger as the aformentioned blend tapers off. You're then left with a slightly bitter, chocolate/coconut ending, with the peppers lingering long after the drink; they kinda tingle the back of my throat a little bit, nice. It's just an amazingly well-blended and complex beer.

Mouthfeel: It doesn't get much better than this for an Imperial Stout; the viscosity is in BCBS territory. There's not much carbonation to speak of, but it doesn't bother me one bit.

Overall: This totally lives up to the hype and is one of the best beers I've ever had. Does that sum it up? (1,103 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Black color that pours like motor oil. Nice dark brown head that lasted a few seconds and disappeared, but left some nice lacing behind. Aroma of loads of roasted malts, chocolate, sweet vanilla, light cinnamon, more spiciness. Flavor is sweet, vanilla upfront, hard roasted malts, lots of bitter chocolate and milk chocolate, a hint of cinnamon, slight peppery burn on the tongue, roasted bitter finish. Full bodied, prickly but smooth and fat mouthfeel. One of the most unique Imperial stouts I've ever tried. (511 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Only the second time I've had this one. And I was very excited to say the least.On draft at the Bourbon Barrel Bolita release at the brewery. Poured into CCB stemware.

Inky black and totally opaque, this one coats the glass like used motor oil. Mocha colored head quickly dissipates to leave scattered lace. As I turn the glass, it clings to the side like a full-bodied red wine . Rich chocolate malt up front followed by vanilla and cinnamon on the nose. The chiles come in a bit at the end with some spice. Sweet chocolate up front followed by vanilla, before the cinnamon kicks in and brings it all together. After a few sips the pepper spice hits the back of my throat. Everything opens up as it warms. This is truly a joy. Coats my palate and finishes dry with a bit of alcohol warmth and an aftertaste that I hope doesn't go away. My favorite stout by far. (863 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Heatwave33 is a god in my book. Thanks man!

This thing poured thicker than motor oil. Thickest beer ive ever seen. Half inch head that looks like malted milk.

The smell is just wow. simply wow. Loads and Loads of chocolate. Sweet base beer underneath, and a hint of those peppers.

Powdery chocolate upfront, dry oaky notes, bit of cinnamon, and those peppers again. They all come, and in that order. Chocolate feels powdered, but only bittersweet. The spices kind of come in to accent the super sweet chocolate and base beer. Theres a slight hint of heat from the peppers way late on the backend. I like it, it just adds another layer of complexity. As it warms, the cinnamon comes out to play.

This beer drinks as thick as it looks, but not because of the base beer. Its so rich, deep, and complex that you cant drink too much too fast. Itd be like overload. (863 characters)

2010 Vintage poured into a large snifter

A - Thick, dark black color. Nice 1-finger tan/caramel head. After a nice swirl you can notice a reddish tint to it. Possibly from the cinnamon or chiles.

S - Can smell all of the dark fruits associated with this stout. There is a slight hint of chiles along with the cocoa and vanilla.

T - Such a smooth, creamy stout. You can really taste the sweetness of the dark fruits and cocoa. Again the hint of chiles is there despite it being almost 2 years old. Very complex. Really is amazing.

M - Like I said before, very creamy feel. Slight stickiness. Exactly what you would expect after with the appearance, smell, and taste.

O - One of my top 3 favorite beers. This one being 2 years old, can only imagine what a fresher version would be like with the extra pop of chiles and cinnamon as I am sure this one had mellowed a bit. I cannot wait to try more in the future. Awesome. (922 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +7.3%

2013. The long awaited Hunahpu.

This is a massively flavorful beer - incredible flavor depth and excellently balanced all around. Chocolate is the dominant flavor and aroma. Incredibly rich velvety mouth-coating milk chocolate, bittersweet dark chocolate covered oily espresso beans. The madagascar vanilla beans yield an amazing bourbon-vanilla sweetness - some toffee too. It's perfectly boozy at 11%. It's like a spirit coated decadent chocolate vanilla spice cake. The chillies and cinnamon blend incredibly well together and create a spicy and slightly vegetal pepper skin with a cinnamon kick. It has a wonderfully smooth, viscous, mouth-coating full body with very soft carbonation.

Incredible beer that stands out as one of the best in my memory. It's hard to imagine that a barrel aged version could make it better with so much going on, but I must try one after experiencing this. (893 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2014 750 ml vintage, served in a snifter

A) Extremely, extremely dark. Light does not escape this beer, and only a slight tinge of amber on the outside rim. Almost the appearance of a thick motor oil. How an imperial stout should look.

S) Front loaded with heavy scents of dark fruits, particularly plum. This is followed by less prominent smells of cocoa nibs, cinnamon, and chilis, in that order. Probably the most complex nose of any beer I've experienced.

T) The immediate thing I notice is the heavy dark fruit sweetness that I felt in the nose, almost immediately followed by thick dark malt, and the flavors of the chilis. The chili flavor only has a hint of heat, but it's a warmness that lingers long into the aftertaste. I don't immediately taste the cinnamon or vanilla, but detect both in the incredibly long aftertaste that lingers with this beer. My only real complaint is that the cocoa nibs lead to a bitterness that detracts a bit from the overall balance on this. The aftertaste is longer than almost anything I've had before, including even Islay or lowland malt scotches. Lasts for ages.

M) Thick, oily, amazing. The oiliness doesn't waterdown as it lingers on the tongue as some can. While well carbonated, you can barely detect it even when leaving on the tongue. Just an incredible feeling on this one.

O) Admittedly not quite what I expected, especially noting the strength of the fruit scents and taste. That said, I find little I can actually fault in this one. I wish the cinnamon and vanilla were a bit more prominent and the cocoa nibs were a bit less, but those are fairly minor complaints considering the overall complexity of this beer. If you are lucky enough to get your hands on one, do not pass up the chance. Well worth it. (1,765 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +7.3%

A - jet black with a ton of chocolate milk head

S - roasted malts, chocolate, vanilla

T - huge roasted taste, cinnamon, just a hint of spice, and then everything is mellowed out by the vanilla

M - lush, rich, incredibly smooth

O - an incredible beer, a complex mix of flavors that meld incredibly well

I reviewed the 2011 version with a year of aging. My only complaint with this beer is CCB does not make enough of it. I had to quit my job to get this as a going away gift, thanks PintOStout! (498 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours black with a finger dark tan head. Still one of the darkest beers I’ve ever seen.

Smell is a clusterfuck. Got the coco, some spice, some roast and a lot of coffee.

Taste is...carrots? Chili and coco, bit of a chalky texture, very well balanced, cinnamon, graham crackers. Magnificent. Loses the red fruit of Marshal but gains so many more flavors.

This can stand beside Abyss. It’s a near perfect blend of perfect flavors. Rich, but not overpowering. Thick but not heavy. Delicious and beautiful. (512 characters)

Review #150
Thanks a million to Ljkeats for this smooth trade that landed my hands down biggest want.

A- pours pitch black from the bottle into my snifter and sits "black as a oil spill" as Eddie Murphy once said. Nice 2 finger chocolate mocha colored head with grwat retention that turns foamy. thick heavy lacing is left around the glass as the head recedes. many bubbles are left on the glass but not jetting up. Looks like black gold.

S- Chocolate and alcohol booze scents are prominent followed by some earthy spice and vanilla. very nice

T- Heavy cocoa and chocolate are the first thing i notice followed by some light spice like cinnamon or nutmeg. The vanilla is there but hiding behind those flavors. Roasty coffee beans and some heat from hot peppers are there but hidden behind the cocoa and spice. Spicy heat begins to become more prominent as I drink more. Unbeleivable complexity and flavor. This lives up to the hype and surpassed my expectations without a doubt.

M- Heavier mouthfeel wth low carbonation. This is smooth and rich, almost velvety.

O- This beer is unbeleivable. The complex and odd flavors are beauitiful. Every sip is different and awesome, unlike any beer I've ever had. I need more of this. (1,231 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +7.3%

Tried a 2011 bottle on May 15 with two of my friends on our "Epic Beer Tasting Day". The line-up consisted of 2010 Darklord, Rare Bourbon County Stout, , 2011 Hanahpu, 2011 KBS, 2010 Abyss.

Appearance - This badboy looks jet black and like everyone said pours like used motor oil with a small dark chocolate head. Very nice lacing.

Smell - The smell of coffee almost feels as if it soccer kicks you in the face with subtle hints of dark chocolate and vanilla bean. I did not smell any traces of any kind of chili peppers though.

Taste - Starts with smooth dark chocolate and coffee taste, followed by a hint of the vanilla beans. Again no trace of any chili peppers.

Mouthfeel - It was very nice and smooth. A very thick stout with little carbonation.

Overall - I enjoyed this and can't wait for my next adventure with it. I can't get this beer out of my head. I'm looking under the door mats like a crackhead for this beer. (930 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +7.3%

On tap at Barcade in NYC. Very excited to finally have this acclaimed brew from one of my favorite breweries. Thanks CCB for getting it up to us and we're dying for more of your insane genius!

A: Thick, jet black body with a generous espresso head that dissipates somewhat quickly. Lacing on this beer is nuts and really sticks to the glass.

S: Robust dark, roasted cocoa. Woah. Some vanilla, chillies and cinnamon in the background.

T: Heavy roasted and dark malts. Then those cacao nibs become very apparent with the bittersweet chocolate taste, followed by sweet vanilla, and ending with a little hint of cinnamon and chillies. I'm getting some alcohol heat, but really not that much at all for the 11% ABV.

M: A medium body with not much carbonation. Thick and syrupy but not overwhelmingly so. Almost deadly smooth. Lingering flavors on the palate are the semi-sweet chocolate and a bit of a burn from the chillies. Nice as fuck.

O: What an amazing and complex stout from CCB. From the hyped up and highly regarded Imperial stouts that I have tried so far(CBS, KBS etc.) this is the winner for me. Not overwhelmingly sweet, rich or crazy. The flavors work so well together in this one. I had to have two. Hunahpu is one of my favorite of this style, I'd go out of your way to get a pour or a bottle or two of this. Looking forward to one day trying the barrel aged versions (1,386 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +7.3%

The sound of the lamplight and of crickets chirping... Shadows cast on the familiar empire create the unearthly, the sordid, as one's thoughts tend toward despair.
The loss of one so dear, and so young, and so beautiful... the sorrow beats in your soul along with the rhythmic chirping of insects... why me? Why must this happen to me? But you are not the first, and probably far from the last, in this God-loved and seemingly God-forsaken habitat.
The night is oil-black, viscous and earthy as it pours over you with all of it's whiles and inhumanities... there is a head, as it were, of thick tan, the only semblance of normalcy, of the idea that the earth is still spinning, despite your wishes, despite your feeling that it should have long since given up it's megalomaniacal drift through nothing.
There existed sweeter times once, next to her, times of laughter and cordial cherries, chili peppers with coffee and cream, but all gone now, and only the beating of your desolate heart as it sings the melody of long forgotten times when happiness was a part of you.
And you sit and sip your beer in desolate remembrance, its qualities seeming a mockery of the reality into which you are plunged... the insolent complexity, defying you to pick apart beyond its coffee (as you so often enjoyed with her), dense roasted grain (as she watched in rapt admiration) and pepper spice that you so used to deeply enjoy, as now it all deems you desire to purge...
The chewy, viscous dream of this only serves to remind your tearful eyes of her skin at your lips, supple and soft, the physical consisting so much of your brand of love....
And you realize that for the rest of your timid, miserable existence you will wall off your heart and present it to no one for the rending, screaming abscess that now exists there where her love should rightly be, where she should be against you as you slumber.
You will instead derive what enjoyment still remains in life by destroying pint after pint of this nectar, though it does little to fill the deep chasm in your soul. (2,060 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A-a nice hard pour reveals a 1 finger rocky dark brown head. Looks nice. Starts dissipating quickly to a wispy head and then to nothing.

S- Lots of Chocolate and some vanilla and rum notes. As for the chilis, I can pick up very slight dried ancho aromas that blend with the chocolate. Cinnamon starts presenting itself as the beer warms up, and adds a nice spice note.

T- Follows the nose. Chocolate is up front and incredible. Then in the middle of the palate the vanilla and rum notes present themselves. As the beer warms the cinnamon kind of starts presenting itself and it is really complementary to all of the other ingredients. Chili takes a while to be able to notice. But I am starting to get some chili head as the beer reaches room temp. the wonderful thing about this beer is that it keeps changing quite a bit and revealing new surprises as it warms.

M- Not as thick as a beer as I expected. Carbonation is quite low but perfect. Not as heavy a beer as I had expected. Dangerously smooth.

O- Best beer I have ever had. I expected something similar to Prairie Bomb. It is better than Bomb, yet a little lighter. This beer is like chocolate in a glass. Incredible. (1,180 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

2013 Vintage

Pours from the bottle like motor oil. Deep chocolate, incredibly dense head. The beer looks very rich, with a nice oily, slickness to the appearance. Pitch black except at the very edges where a reddish brown ring is visible. Very nice looking.

Smells of cocoa, roast, sweetness. Smells good but the aroma is probably the most subdued aspect of this amazing beer.

The taste comes in waves of flavors, dark chocolate, sweet vanilla, coffee roast, some heat from the chiles and warming cinnimon finish it off. Absolutely astounding how good this is. The flavors are perfectly blended, with nothing overpowering. It's a very cohesive flavor profile.

Full mouthfeel, bit seems a little lighter that its base Marshall Zhukov.

Absolutely worth the hype. One of the best I have had. (794 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a luscious depth of black. Small head full of rich caramel. The nose has cinnamon and chocolate. Once warmed you can pickup a little cocoa. The taste is a fantastic blend of waves featuring each additive, really impressive. The feel is a rich chocolate milk-like consistency. Overall I want more, lots more. (319 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

A - Pours black with a finger of dark tan head that fades into a thin ring with no lacing.

S - Incredibly complex, there is a ton of chocolate, caramel, chili peppers, cinnamon, molasses and brown sugar. A lot of coffee in here as well. Smells massively sweet and rich.

T - Complex taste, lots of chocolate all over this one and the slight burn from the chili is somewhat rather satisfying was very surprised. Taste is great.

M - Nice smooth creamy thick feel with low carbonation. Sticky sweet coating on the tongue. Outstanding

O - The best non-barrel aged stout in the world. I could drink this all day. What a genius move to use chili peppers in a chocolaty rich stout. Wish I had another bottle. (705 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a 2011 bottle thanks to BA muskabeatz.

A: Pours a dark, black, motor oil color that we've all seen so many times before. Where this beer really stands out to me is its head, this thing foamed up to maybe an inch and a half of, way over what I've come to expect from the latest and greatest big Russian Imperial, a bit too much for my preference. The head was so creamy it seemed to keep swirl lines.

S: Here's a sticking point with me, my drinking buddies described the aroma as "subtle", which to me says that it's not very strong. Initially I just barely smelled a sort of biscuity scent with a hint of pepper, but as it warmed it I caught much more sweet chocolate and vanilla. The way this aroma changes makes me wish I could give it two ratings, initially, I found it lacking, but as it warmed it came around.

T: This thing is marvelous! The very first thing I taste is chocolate, but just like packages from good traders, it's laden with extras! Just like that special release you get as an extra, this beer comes with a little peppery spiciness tinged with real cinnamon. Somehow all of these flavors work well together, AND THEN finishes out with a bit of sweet vanilla. Alcohol is present, but not overpowering.

M: So creamy! Thick and evenly carbonated, somehow this stout still feels almost like it's been whipped. Really a unique mouthfeel experience.

O: This is a good one, lives up the hype in my opinion, the peppery spiciness and cinnamon make this beer one-of-a-kind. Seek this one out if at all possible! (1,539 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from 750ml bottle (2011 vintage) into snifter at cosmonick's tasting.
Trying this one at long last!

Aroma: You know that feeling you get when you know you're about to drink a great one? That's what I got when I smelled this one. Sweet molasses, powdered hot cocoa mix, coffee, and vanilla in the background. Nothing but good stuff!

Appearance: Thin, tan head disappears quickly to a mirror-like black surface. Body is pitch black. Legs, rather than lacing wash down the sides of the snifer as I swirl the beer around.

Flavor: Wow. This one gets progressively better from start to finish. Aroma components also come through in the flavor. Milk chocolate, vanilla, and delicious coconut. A great amount of complexity to ponder with each sip. And there's the pepper, which comes through toward the end, and provides a subtle, but definitely noticeable, prickly heat. The pepper works very well in this one, and is the highlight in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: Full body and low carbonation. Alcohol and pepper provide enjoyable heat in mouth and throat.

Overall: Definitely one of the best I've had--easily in the top 5 (maybe 3). Due to the high alcohol, and limited availability, it's recommended that this one be shared w/ one or more fellow BA's. I will definitely be seeking this one out again! You've gotta try it! (1,323 characters)

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing