2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Hunahpu's Imperial StoutHunahpu's Imperial Stout

Ratings: 2049

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,049 | Reviews: 594 | Show All Ratings:
greenmonstah

New Hampshire

750 mL bottle of 2011 batch shared with two others

A - Pours pitch black with half a finger of the darkest head EVER. Dark dark dark brown head with average retention and nice lacing. Never seen anything quite like it.

S - Vanilla, chocolate, considerable coffee bitterness. Even a little fig. The chile comes into play, as does the cinnamon. No booze to speak of, which is incredibly impressive.

T - I'm not worthy! This is insane. Vanilla and chocolate in droves. The chiles add this amazing je ne sais quoi that really rounds out and perfects the beer. Cinnamon is there to bring it all together and round things out. A touch of chile heat at the end to cap it off. Chocolate dominates the finish. I can hardly believe how good it is. The first time I've given a 5 in taste, and deservedly so.

M - Smooth, creamy, thick, and just right. A touch of heat at the end, from the chiles, which really enhances everything.

O - This is it. I never expected it to be this good, but this beer is just about perfect. A revelation, in many respects. Nothing is really close. Perfect use of the chile and the vanilla. Truly, this beer is unmatched.

05-14-2011 00:45:56 | More by greenmonstah
deathcharms

4.93/5  rDev +8.4%

Thanks to BastionShaw for this beast of a bottle!

Pours a coffee brown, with the darkest head that anyone in the tasting circle had ever seen. About 1/2 a finger worth of head on my pour. Smell! I wish I could smell this beer forever. Each whiff brings a different smell be it Ovaltine, Blackened peppers, tobacco, dark dark chocolate. The smell alone is phenomenal. Onto the taste, with the first sip you get a burst of deep roasted chocolate and as you let that that linger you get a grilled pepper flavor that dances in your mouth. Every sip is different from the next. The mouthfeel is nice but not in your face. The chilies play a good role in letting the tingling sensation coat your mouth without burning your tongue. Also this beer leaves your mouth feeling dry like a tannic wine, but it works! Overall I am ecstatic I got to try this beer and would love to snag another bottle!

06-30-2011 07:51:00 | More by deathcharms
lakersfan16

Alaska

4.93/5  rDev +8.4%

2011 vintage. I took the bottle out of the fridge, and allowed it to warm for about 30 minutes before I poured my first sample into my tulip glass.

A: I cannot recall another beer pouring any darker than this beast. It looked exactly like used motor oil coming out of the bottle, absolutely no chance of any light making it's way through whatsoever. A normal pour yielded about a 1/2 inch very dark brown head, again one of the darkest I have ever seen. Looks very appetizing.

S: Wow, where do I even begin? Chocolate, roasted malts, cocoa, cinnamon, and a hint of chiles, somewhat subdued.

T: The first sip absolutely blew me away. I honestly didn't move for about a minute, savoring and trying to comprehend all of the flavors I was experiencing. By this time, it had warmed up to the perfect temperature, and all of the flavors seemed to complement one another perfectly. Strong cocoa/chocolate flavor, with cinnamon also pronounced. The vanilla and chiles were also noticeable, but not overpowering, playing a perfect supporting role. It is so completely rich, that drinking a couple ounces took quite a while, but I enjoyed every second of it.

M: The mouthfeel on this sucker was amazing, one of the best I've ever had. Very thick, but at the same time silky smooth, almost velvety.

O: This beer is probably the best non-barrel aged imperial stout I've ever had. It's so complex that it seems no amount of description will do it justice. It's balanced perfectly, all of the different flavors seem to blend together better than I ever could have imagined.

This was my first Cigar City brew. I huge bravo to everyone involved in the creation of this beauty!

07-01-2011 16:32:12 | More by lakersfan16
biggied

4.93/5  rDev +8.4%

A- Jet black with a dark dark tan head. Head recedes slowly but surely into a ring. Practically stains the glass.

S- Oh wow! Smells incredible! You can smell everything in its place, the chiles, the coco, the vanilla, and of course the cinnamon gives a great complexity.

T- This beer is awesome! So much complexity, but everything is very balanced. You get everything and it all has its place and none of it is overbaring at all. Truly awesome flavor.

M- For something so big and bold it goes down so easy its scary.

O- Easily one of my all time favorites, blew me away.

10-03-2011 02:50:49 | More by biggied
4thelvofbeer

4.93/5  rDev +8.4%

This could be one of the best beers I have had the pleasure of drinking. Really nice, really deep, really, really good. Thanks to Donn for picking this up for our outstanding tasting. There is some much depth and flavor in this beer, it is a great example of my favorite style of beer. The chiles, the cinnamon, the tastes and flavored are great. Pours a beautiful black with a nice brown dark head....overall..pure awesome!

09-12-2012 00:20:37 | More by 4thelvofbeer
BrbnBarlAgdBil

4.93/5  rDev +8.4%

Just attended the festival this past weekend and it was worth the hype. I had the opportunity to try a 2011 at the event and most everyone I spoke with said that this years batch is just phenomenal. The beer is darker than anything I have ever had before and the subtle notes of chili are apparent along with the dark coffee taste. I am extremely thankful that I brought enough home with me to enjoy one every couple of months.

03-10-2013 20:05:40 | More by BrbnBarlAgdBil
ChrisRoemer

4.93/5  rDev +8.4%

I absolutely love this brew. I have a few verticals 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013. I've had it on draft several times at the brewery as well. I prefer to let them age in the bottle. It has more bite coming off draft, but the flavors really mingle and mellow out in a good way after it's been aged. Pours thick like motor oil and smells of dark chocolate with chiles and vanilla mmmm. I've had the lairds apple brandy huna on tap as well, but I prefer the original, although I have yet to try the California Brandy Huna (2013). Overall, great beer across the board and I use this as a standard when comparing any imperial stout!

06-27-2013 17:07:45 | More by ChrisRoemer
anycrew

4.95/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured this beer into a stemmed tulip glass from a bottle.
Beer is dark brown to black with carbonation the creates tan swirls on the surface of the beer. The beer has strong legs that grab to the side of the glass. The glass had a coating of residue on the sides when finished.
The aroma was amazing for a beer. I also got the olive aroma, but I thought it smelled more like green olives.
The taste was quite interesting. Strong bitter dark chocolate flavor.
Had a smooth finish without lingering bitterness. I got some sweet malt/ coffee flavor that balanced it out. Was not overly sweet like Ive had with other stouts. Very well balanced, made you want more. I liked the the mouthfeel very much. I thought that it could coat the tongue a little more.
This beer was great as small servings with a break in between. I didnt have enough. Possibly the best beer i have had to date. Definitely is my favorite stout.

04-05-2010 19:19:49 | More by anycrew
hotmanflab666

4.95/5  rDev +8.8%

the Hunahpu is the best, plain and simple, out of all the big stouts(DL, IST, Darkness, etc), Hunahpu releases a very smooth well rounded chocolatey malty flavor that just puts any other beer to shame,i strongly suggest finding this beer and trying it, my favorite hope its your too

05-06-2011 02:44:44 | More by hotmanflab666
GarrettMD

4.95/5  rDev +8.8%

A - This beer defines black. The head alone is darker than most stouts. Absolutely amazing head retention and lacing. The best appearance I have seen on a stout yet.

S - Chocolate is the first thing that comes out to me, followed up by some dark roasted malts and coffee. Chile, and vanilla are there as well, just not as strong. Maybe even a hint of dark fruits in there as well. Very complex aroma full of a big diversity of smells.

T - Wow. You will never have a beer like this one. As complex as the aroma was, this is more. Balance of flavors completely shifts. Chile and roasted malts, coupled with chocolate and vanilla backing it up. Cinnamon, some more citrus-like fruit as well as the dark fruit (maybe dark cherry).

M - Not as thick as the pour indicates, but man this is still thick. Smooth as silk too. No alcohol noticeable, finish is sweet, slightly drying and leaves you with a sweet chocolate chile taste.

O - This is by far the best beer I have had. I am struggling to find a flaw so that this isn't straight 5's. I can't find much wrong with it. The aroma is deeply complex and perfectly balanced, the taste changes exactly as it needs to so as to keep you interested and stays just as complex and balanced. The mouthfeel is the only thing I can find a flaw in with the thin-ness of the body, but even that is still amazing.

Oh yeah, did I mention that this is a 2011 bottle?

05-13-2011 20:15:57 | More by GarrettMD
youradhere

Arkansas

South Sound Tasting Notes

Pours black with brown head, very apropriate for an imperial style. Smell is chocolate, chocolate, and chocolate covered cinnamon. Taste is- you guessed it- chocolate, with cinnamon and dark cherry, some cedar character and some slight barley char. Very well balanced and the depth of the flavors keeps me sipping. Mouthfeel is appropriately thick! THICK IS GOOD FOR RIS (I'm talking to you, you bird-lipped Southampton RIS). Medium carbonation is near perfect for the body to make this truely decadent; as preferred, this RIS coats the mouth in rich flavors (ahem, JKBM, take note). Overall, wow, if I weren't such a homer this would get a perfect 5, but that honor is reserved for my favorite reserve series RIS. I love how the flavors are balanced, yet seemingly take turns coming to the forefront of your palate's attention. A true joy to drink!

9-20-2010
From tasting notes, 750ml bottle. Pours black, black, black with dark tan head; light only shows through the very edges of the glass. Looks like Abyss when poured. Smells like cold coffee and chocolate. Taste is sweet brown sugar with tart grain astringency and chocolate bitterness to balance it out. Cold coffee, malt sugar, restrained hops, and bitter dark chocolate on the mid-back tongue; very slight smoke flavor makes itself known only when you aren't looking for it, kind of tastes like burnt coffee a bit but in a pleasant way. The sweet and sour balancing act is great, there is a lot going on in this beer. I think the sour I'm picking up is the cherry and oak notes that keep playing hid and seek. There is a lot going on here in the taste department, one of the best RIS I've had to date. Extremely well balanced yet still very flavorful, and very drinkable. This is a great desert beer and I wish I could get my hands on a bottle to save for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, something of that nature.

10-09-2011 19:05:05 | More by youradhere
BradTheHophead

4.95/5  rDev +8.8%

This beer was worth waiting in line with 5000 other beer advocates for a few bottles of this Imperial Stout.

A. Dark body with a copper head.

S. There is plethora of smells from chocolate to malts.

T. Starts of with malt and hops and finishes with chocolate coffee taste.

M. Warm and almost overwhelming with all the taste. Surprisingly the 11% alcohol was not noticeable.

O. This is a great complex beer from a great brewery!

01-22-2013 04:59:33 | More by BradTheHophead
augustg

4.96/5  rDev +9%

Just on my way back from the 2013 event and was lucky enough to have this on an unlimited tap. After having the 11 and 12 I knew this was one of my all time favorites. The 2013 did not disappoint. Pours a deep brown/black with a thick brown/red velvet head. Smells of vanilla, marshmallow, cinnamon, chili, chocolate and a little roast. Spices come through first on the taste then mellows into a nice caramel vanilla with a bit of burnt cacao. Fantastic overall and it seems to get better every year.

Thanks CCB for making great beer! See you in 2014.

03-11-2013 17:32:06 | More by augustg
RomaniIteDomum

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

So, for my 100th review I thought I'd review a special beer.

The beer is awesomely black. No head. Mysterious.

In the nose you get chocolate, chili, some cinnamon, and a few other smells I can't identify. The smell adds to the mystery.

Only in your mouth can you truly appreciate the complexity of this beer. The layers of flavor are nothing short of astonishing. So much going on that every sip is a new experience. Wow.

In the mouth it is a smooth, creamy, well-balanced treat. Almost velvety.

This is one of the most drinkable beers I've had, much less one with such a high ABV. I just wish they made this one more often.

11-06-2009 15:55:54 | More by RomaniIteDomum
jsgreen16

Indiana

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

This is the best Imperial Stout I have tasted I had on tap at the 2011 release and also opened a bottle at the Jackie O's One Funky Afternoon bottle release. The bottle that I had opened was damaged a little in shiping and some air got into the bottle so it tasted a little flat but was still hands down one of my favorite beers. Pour it in a glass and it looks like motor oil with a dark chocolate brown head. You can smell the chocolate and what ever peppers they used in brewing. Chocolate came through strongest in the taste for me along with the peppers, hints of coffee as well. Like I said one of my favorite beers I just wish more would have made it back with me from spring break.

05-13-2011 19:29:53 | More by jsgreen16
MrVonzipper

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

A Huge thanks to DarthKostrizer and his pregnant wife who wanted to save this til after the baby, but I talked her out of it cuz her trademaster husband can get more!!

Thick soy saucy looking. Pitch black. Oily. Very viscous. Brown grease left while swirled. Thick Brown head. Excellent retention and spotty lacing.

Kind of even smells like a mild soy sauce for a second then amazing Bitter chocolate brownies with a hint of earthy pepper. Faint leather and oak. Fantastic big nose.

Wow. Flavor has So much going on. Bitter chocolate brownie, dark earthy green chili. Big changes and variation from beginning to end. Earthy robust coffee along with espresso. Just delicious.

Full bodied velvety smooth, creamy viscous mouthfeel

Overall this is just a phenomenal stout! So big, bold and complex. I really liked Marshal Zhukov and this is even much better. A must find. Share with others!

10-16-2011 18:06:18 | More by MrVonzipper
vfgccp

4.98/5  rDev +9.5%

2011 bottle, opened in 2011.

A – Black body with the one of the darkest heads I’ve ever seen. The head has super-fine bubbles and holds up well with nice retention and lace. The beer is incredibly viscous with better legs than most red wines.

S – Dark brown sugar, cinnamon, espresso, ancho chilies, light booze.

T – This beer is what a billionaire's milk chocolate should taste like. Chocolate covered espresso beans, delicious raisiny ancho chilies, cinnamon, soft pepper heat, toffee, and vanilla. The flavors are soft, complex, well balanced and prominent. An absolutely beautiful flavor profile.

M – Stunningly smooth, medium/full body. Great sweet vanilla / spicy chili / bitter cocoa finish with a touch of warm booze.

O – Fantastic balance and flavor. It’s rare that a brewer posts an ingredient bill as complex as this on the bottle and everything comes through. It's even rarer that those flavors come through so clean and incredibly well integrated. Tip of the hat to CCB, job well done.

04-13-2011 16:04:35 | More by vfgccp
tpd975

On tap at Cigar City

This beer is the standard Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout kicked up a bit. Some chili were added along with a bit of vanilla and cocoa nibs.

A: Like all Cigar City stout's this one is evil looking in the glass. As dark as night with a huge creamy brownish black head. The beer clings to the glass as if it is laced with oil. The head hangs around nice, and leaves big chunks of that dark brown goodness.

S: To say the aromas are bold would be an understatement. Huge charred malt aromas with strong notes of bitter chocolate. Light hints of roasted chili's can be detected as well. The vanilla hides beneath all these bold aromas along with a bit of dark fruit and tobacco.

T: The roasted malt is the first thing you detect here. Coffee come next along wtih a blast of bitter chocolate and tobacco. A touch of vanilla can be picked up and then the chilis create a touch of warmth on the back of the tongue. Very complex and very unique.

M: Very full bodied, smooth, creamy with the chili's creating a real depth.

D: Not as drinkable as some of the other Cigar City stouts, but it sure is tasty. A one of a kind treat.

01-03-2009 16:10:27 | More by tpd975
chemmie

My second re-rate: After having this again, I had to make it a perfect 5. This beer is outrageous.

Thanks to Joey for the taste. I would rate this higher than a 10 on flavor, if I could. The chocolate flavor in this beer is over the top delicious. It is strong, creamy and decadent with vanilla and cinnamon spices added in. The peppers are sitting in the back, providing just a slight burn to let you know they are there. The mouthfeel is thick and oily. Swirling the beer around the glass leaves a light brown oil slick on the sides. I simply cannot wait until this hits the market. The chocolate flavor is a desert of its own. Fabulous flavor. Great job!
RE-RATE: After the Cigar City Kickoff party, I had to bump my rate even higher. This beer is amazing. Was told the ABV was kicked up higher, to the 13%-14% range, but it doesn't show. The flavors seem even more intense and the alcohol is hidden very well. The chocolate in this beer tastes like the best gourmet chocolate I've ever had in a beer. No corners have been cut. If I could drink on thing for the rest of my life, it would be this.

07-16-2009 22:02:00 | More by chemmie
rramis

Served at Redlight Redlight in Orlando, FL. The owner had it on C02 and decided to experiment with it and put it on nitro, WOW!!!! So he kept it that way.

A-Dark as night with a beautiful two finger creamy brown head. It reminded me of chocolate mousse.

S-Chocolate right off the top with hints of coffee, ancho chilies, and spices.

T-Dark chocolate, followed by spices and alittle vanilla. Finished slightly warm from the ancho chillies.

M-Very nice, creamy. The nitro put a nice feel to it. Felt sliky and velvety.

D-Fantabulous!!! Very smooth and warm. One of the best Imperial Stouts I have ever had. Cigar City is surprising me everytime I have one of their exceptional beers. Keep it up!!!

Serving type: nitro-tap

11-19-2009 16:35:25 | More by rramis
DosBeerigos

C. Hard to see clarity when the beer is Black
H. Dark Black
N. Coffee, Cinnamon, Chocolate, hints of Vanilla

Comments taken from my blog

Alright this is why we came to Tampa. While I have had this beer before at craft festivals I have never actually reviewed it. Love the nose of this beer, it has such strong scent of coffee and cinnamon. It is hard to compare that odor, but it makes me happy. After first sip you can taste the cinnamon, coffee, and a hint of brown sugar and vanilla. Pretty complex and matures well while reaching room temperature. I would say slightly chilled is a great temperature for this aggressive beer. It is very smooth and easy to drink. Not an extremely thick Imperial stout. Wow...I'm really happy that I came to Tampa and am able to pick up some bottles of this beer. I personally think it is going to become AMAZING over time.

03-15-2010 00:49:56 | More by DosBeerigos
PLAID813

I've had this beer multiple times seeing as I live about 15 minutes from Cigar City. Poured into my CC tulip.

A- Black like motor oil. The thickest beer iv'e ever poured.

S- Strong smell of chocolate and hints of vanilla and chili peppers.

T- One word : perfect

M- Like I said before, motor oil.

D- Very drinkable for a stout of such high alcohol percentage. Perfect brew to share with a good friend.

04-07-2010 22:14:31 | More by PLAID813
mrstevens

Let me start off by saying the night I drank this beer, it was the most amazing beer tasting night of my life. We (urwithdave and gtreid) started off the night by drinking a Kate The Great, followed by the Hunahpu, then a Darkness, a KBS and a Darklord, holy stout. But I am reveiwing the Hunahpu. What an amazing beer, the pour was jet black with the head a red in color, almost evil looking. Smell was malty, with coffee, cocoa and a faint smell of the peppers. You taste chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon followed by a subtle bite of the peppers. Very thick almost like you could eat it. I could easily drink this beer every day, if my pocketbook would allow it.

04-08-2010 01:04:31 | More by mrstevens
smellody

Believe the hype my friends, this beer is the real deal. Next year's release party is sure to be a mad house once this beer gets around a bit more via trades. I luckily came home with 12 bottles, most for trading.

The beer pours as dark as night, as some have said, like motor oil. Very little head, what remained was a small carmel colored lacing at the top. Smells are overwhelming served at room temperature. Everything from coffee, cinnamon, and chille. At first taste, almost all I got was the coffee, with a hint of chille. The warmer it got, the more complex the flavors. It has a smooth mouthfeel, and I didn't think the alcohol really stood out. As this ages, it's going to be outstanding.

04-14-2010 12:52:56 | More by smellody
tblfan04

Sharing with my wife poured into a snifter

A: by far the darkest stout I have ever poured with great dark brown head just a great looking beer.

S: it has a great roasted smell that pulls chocolate and vanilla also smells like a great cup of coffee.

T: with the first taste it has 3 or 4 flavors that seem to come at me at different times which makes that much better and complex and I don't really taste the alcohol even though it is a big boy in the ABV section

M: this Imperial stout has good mouthfeel with good carbonation and the taste just stands out and lingers great flavor

D: By far the best Imperial Stout I have ever come across and if it wasn't so expensive and hard to come by I would love to drink one after work with some buddies or my wife because it is that good.

The Hype is Real and if you get a chance at one of these take it because I know they are out at CCB

04-26-2010 01:16:41 | More by tblfan04