Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Ratings: 3,368 | Reviews: 715

C. Hard to see clarity when the beer is Black
H. Dark Black
N. Coffee, Cinnamon, Chocolate, hints of Vanilla

Comments taken from my blog

Alright this is why we came to Tampa. While I have had this beer before at craft festivals I have never actually reviewed it. Love the nose of this beer, it has such strong scent of coffee and cinnamon. It is hard to compare that odor, but it makes me happy. After first sip you can taste the cinnamon, coffee, and a hint of brown sugar and vanilla. Pretty complex and matures well while reaching room temperature. I would say slightly chilled is a great temperature for this aggressive beer. It is very smooth and easy to drink. Not an extremely thick Imperial stout. Wow...I'm really happy that I came to Tampa and am able to pick up some bottles of this beer. I personally think it is going to become AMAZING over time.

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

CCB knocked it out of the park. Phenomenal beer. Thick, dark, aromatic, and extremely complex. Chocolate and chili peppers are a classic combo, and though I've had this combo many times in a variety of beer styles, never have I had it in a IS. And it really works and adds a new level of complexity to the already fabulous Zhukov.

Tried the Brandy and Bourbon BA versions as well, but the stock brew was by far my favorite... added alcohol and boozy notes from the barrels simply overwhelm the subtleties of this amazing brew.

4.4/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Jet black, heavy handed pour yielded almost 2 finger beautiful mocha head. Leaves a nice oily residue when swirled. A bit on the cold side, but maybe a faint metallic whiff mixed in with cinnamon and cocoa. Chocolate and cinnamon dominate the flavor. Maybe a slight prickle from the pepper, but not hot by any means. Pleasantly thick mouthfeel for a non-BA stout. This beer seems to cry out for a barrel. Overall a strong offering, but perhaps I expected too much after drinking the revelation that was DBH.

4.92/5  rDev +7.4%

A- Jet black with a dark dark tan head. Head recedes slowly but surely into a ring. Practically stains the glass.

S- Oh wow! Smells incredible! You can smell everything in its place, the chiles, the coco, the vanilla, and of course the cinnamon gives a great complexity.

T- This beer is awesome! So much complexity, but everything is very balanced. You get everything and it all has its place and none of it is overbaring at all. Truly awesome flavor.

M- For something so big and bold it goes down so easy its scary.

O- Easily one of my all time favorites, blew me away.

4.46/5  rDev -2.6%

Cracked this open on July 3rd for my first anniversary celebration. Couldn't find a better reason to drink this big guy...

a: motor oil black and as thick as it when you pour it out. Beautiful creamy head with tons of dark brown bubble springing up. Nice thick brown lacing and it looks very very thick.

s: sweet and cocoa. No heat from the alcohol in the nose, but there is a rich buttery chocolate aroma pouring off the glass. Something spicy as well.

t: chocolate, rich chocolate. I am getting tons of it, more sweetness in the middle and a little spice from what I'd assume to be the chili. Not strong, but compliments the cocoa very very well. finishes bitter with a hint of vanilla and cinnamon and leaves you dry waiting for the next sip.

m: creamy and buttery. extraordinarily thick. too thick for the warm summer night that I drank it on, but in the winter what a wonderful brew this will be to try again. spreads through the mouth and stays long. very sticky sweet.

o: just wow. this beer has tons of flavor. it is truly unreal to me how they packed in this much flavor without even a touch of booze. I didn't get heat one time. the chili spice is great with the cocoa. they did a better job using it than DFH did with Theobroma. Just a wonderful beer and I cant wait til the next time.

4.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Served on draft at Kickbacks into a 8oz Unibroue snifter/sampler glass. 6oz pour.

Blacker than your ex's heart is this beer. No light anywhere near this beast is getting through. Dark mocha head, similar to a chocolate mousse, only darker. Lacing is spotty. A finger of head on the pour. Even when just moving the beer in the glass, the sticky nature of this beer takes over, leaving its mark throughout. Viscous just isn't enough to describe this beer. At rest, this is a nice rim of mocha head sitting at the cusp where the beer meets the glass. Lovely.

Nose is dominated mostly by the chocolate base that is Zhukov. Having had this fresh, it has lost most of its profound nose. Notes of sweetness from the vanilla, and a mild chili presense. Much more of a "chocolate" beer nose than anythign else. Alcohol noted, though has to be sought after. It has lost much, so I am rated it higher knowing what it once was. Fresh is better in this regard.

The taste experience is something found in no other beer I've had. The chocolate base of Zhukov is found through out, accententuated by the cocoa nibs. Off of this base comes the flavors in order. Vanilla, then cinnamon and then a fine note of the chilis. All are well done, none dominated and still an imperial stout. So much more than a chocolate beer at this point. So, damn, amazing. It may lose a bit since it was kegged in terms of fresh flavors, but it has gained a balanced quality.

So bloody viscous. Sticky in the mouth. It requires plenty of time to enjoy. It is impossible to merely drink this one, as it something to be savored. Requires a good hour just to drink.

SO intense, so powerful, so unapologetic, and so brasen in the approach, yet well done. Hard to bring another "flavored" stout that has this much intensity yet it is so enjoyable to drink. Very, very, very well done.

4.35/5  rDev -5%

Bottle shared with a BA buddy.

A: Dark black with a very viscous look. A bigger head than I am used to with some of the big cigar city stouts. Nice 1 cm dirty dark brown head.

S: Smells really strongly of spice and strong dark malt. There is a hint of booze in the nose.

T: Really surprised at the flavor of this one. Really robust. I gather dark burnt flavor up front with some cocoa and coffee hints. The middle and end remind me of vanilla and I got the spiciness at the end. I'm going to guess that was the cinnamon. It wasn't as spicy as I was thinking it would be from the chiles.

M: Like I had said, more carbonation than I was used to but it was really good full bodied beer.

D: A sipper and glad it was shared. On top of being 11.5%, the robustness of the flavor could get overwhelming but an excellent beer regardless, I just would try drinking a ton of it.

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

Spectacular

4.03/5  rDev -12%

This one has some hype to live up to.

Pours dead black with the most amazing cocoa head ever.

Smell is a bit off-putting. Nothing inviting here, bitter, dark hops and/or cacao.

Taste is COMPLEX. Getting cacao beans, and a healthy cinnamon burn which is amazing. Coffee roast coming through as well. Not getting a ton of vanilla. Did I mention Cinnamon and chile burn?

Wow, this is a wonderful taste. I love cinnamon and chocolate combined and this is the best of all worlds - Cinnamon, chocolate and BEER! But it works. This reminds me of the descriptions of ancient Aztec hot chocolate drinks back when the cacao bean wasn't the invention of Milton Hershey.

Not much else to say. Not going to be a favorite if you don't like new things. :) I love this - though I can't see drinking it all night.

4.78/5  rDev +4.4%

Ever since I read what Cigar City was doing with this beer, I've been excited to give this one a shot - I mean, a lot of stuff is going into this beer. The label says "Malt beverage aged on Peruvian cacao nibs, ancho and pasilla chiles, cinnamon and Madagascar vanilla beans." Seriously, that sounds amazing! Thanks to kbutler1 for trading me a bottle - my expectations are high! The bottle arrived with just a bit of leakage at the top (even though it was packaged perfectly and taped around the cap) - a very sticky, syrupy substance. Figured I'd better crack this one open soon - wouldn't want to waste it!

Split with a few friends and spread between three different glasses. As I cracked it open, it was immediately obvious as to why the beer was leaking. The bottle was literally filled up almost to the very top. One millimeter below the opening was standing liquid...beer! Cigar City did not skimp on this guy! I carefully poured into my Dogfish Head snifter. Whoa - that is an amazingly thick brew. As it stacks up in my glass, it appears that there is no carbonation...guh, disappointment...but wait! After I get the glass about halfway filled, I set it on the table and watch the upward cascade fill another third of my glass. From a vat of recycled motor oil to one of the thickest, darkest, brown heads I've ever seen, the bubbles keep multiplying as this thing nears the top of my glass - impressive. Fairly quickly it wanes, and by the time I've had three or four sips the head is merely a shadow of its former self capping the surface with a soft dark brown lid. The beer itself is a black hole allowing zero light to escape, even at the extreme edges.

Hunahpu's is chalk full of chocolate goodness. The chocolate malty smell dominates the nose at the beginning. A sweet chocolate rises through the head as well, making me think I'm about to enjoy dessert as opposed to a nightcap. No cinnamon for me but a bit of peppery spice when I try hard. As it warms up a bit, the alcohol becomes prevalent for the first time separating itself from a sweet vanilla and a bit of dark sweet fruit. A complex brew for sure that is only compromised just slightly by the alcoholic prevalence. Ok, I can't wait any longer to give this a shot.

Fudge. Sweet, chocolate fudge. It's pounded in there and is not shy. I do get a bit of the chili / peppery taste when I get the beer to settle on the back of my tongue. Again, as hard as I work to taste the cinnamon, I can't find it. The vanilla is definitely in there as well, adding yet another sweet component to Willy Wonka's wet dream. I'm very impressed by how well this is balanced. With a bunch of different flavors competing, things can easily get messy; but cigar city has done it right here. This is a thick and creamy brew that feels absolutely divine in my mouth. I rank the mouthfeel as a perfect 5, right there with Kate the Great's creaminess and the oily, thick, syrupy masterpiece of Dark Lords past.

This is a damn fine beer. As I finish my last few sips, my glass is laced with a thin grainy film left behind from this viscous beer. My upper lip sticks to the rim of my glass when I get a bit too close. Although the alcohol was prevalent on the nose, it is nearly completely masked in the drink. I'm wishing I hadn't invited so many friends over for this.

Consumed: 3/23/2010

4.81/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2014 vintage poured into tulip glass. Many thanks to BA Dooshbagalow for the trade!

A: Deep, deep black, with really nice dark brown, cocoa colored head forming and sticking around the edge of the beer's surface. A quick swirl brings it back. Nice lacing around the outside of the glass.

S: Wonderful rotating bombast of sweet spiciness. Bitter dark chocolate, lots of cinnamon, a little vanilla. When cold they're present but muted; as the beer warms and breathes they ramp up.

T: Mmmm. Follows nose, bitter chocolate flavor is first present, with a blast of milk chocolate, cinnamon, and vanilla following. This is a sweet, complex beer, but a hint of bitterness keeps it from being too much. On the very back the chilis present themselves, adding an interesting kick. Alcohol kept in check the whole time, though there is a definite warming sensation. Tastes like a dark mexican chocolate bar with a little booziness. Fantastic.

M: Smooth, think, coats the mouth with all of these wonderful flavors.

O: A really fantastic stout, the hype is certainly warranted. One of the better stouts or beers of any kind that I've had in a long while. Will definitely seek this one out in the future, and stockpile reserves to trade for the DB version.

4.98/5  rDev +8.7%

This was one of the best cinnamon spiced beers I've ever had! The flavors that came from this were perfect. The alcohol heat was well hidden by the chiles in the back. I will definitely be going to Huna day next year!

Poured Black like the stallion of midnight and stuff. I noticed a light tan fizz on top that disappeared fast, like Grease Lightning. Smelled different not like the uncle you rarely see, but more like a Mexican pinata before it is filled, not really but it sounds fun. I guess the smells are from the chiles? The taste is blended nicely with hints of nutmeg or cinnamon, chocolate (unsweet), the blend of chiles and finishes quite dry.

-Bye

4.43/5  rDev -3.3%

Reviewed from notes. On tap at the brewery on the day of the release. 03/12/11

A: Black as night with a ridiculously dark one finger head. Not much lacing to speak of.

S: The cinnamon is in the forefront. Followed by notes of the vanilla, chiles and chocolate.

T: The cinnamon is the first thing that you notice here as well. Then notes of vanilla, chocolate and a faint hint of the chiles.

M: Thick, creamy and silky. One of the thickest Imperial Stouts that I've had.

O: A really fantastic Imperial Stout that I much prefer fresh as opposed to with some age on it. I was glad to be able to get to try it on tap.

2.5/5  rDev -45.4%

Shared a 750 ml bottle 5 ways.

A - pours thick, a Beautiful inch thick head covers the motor oil stout. Looking into the glass you notice the head has colored of tan and red, and they swirll together to marbalize a great looking beer.

S - ok, this beer starts to go downhill here. The aroma is of soy sauce and chilies. Really offputting for my stout preferences. The aroma jumps around to slight coffee roast, but the bad smell of the chilies overpowers and ruins it for me.

T - this beer is different. The first sip hits with a slight coffee and chocolate blend, some slight vanilla, then hits you with a cloying sweetness, then some offputting chilies, finished by a slight hot alcoholic finish with cocoa, and it could not have finished much worse. The beer was all over the place and the flavors did not blend well at all. It felt like they just through in a million good ingredients and figured they would all be great together, and simply, it doesn't work well together.

M - very carbonated, creamy, and smooth. This is how I enjoy my stouts. The carbonation could be toned down a bit, but the mouthfeel is still amazing.

D - this beer was a tough one to drink. All 5 of us said it was a rough beer, and hard to enjoy. The messy flavors ruin the beer I was expecting to enjoy. The heat from the alcohol is noticable, and offputting. I didn't want anymore of this beer, so the drinkability suffers.

O - this was one of the biggest beer dissapointments IMO. The flavor was all over the place, cloying sweetness, chilies, and alcohol ruin what could have been a good beer. It was close to unanimous that this beer was far from good. I really went into this unique beer with an open mind, but was still just dissapointed in the end. Not worth the hassle to get and try this messy beer.

Relatively disappointing relative to the hype but still tasty enough.

4.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Served in 10oz Hunahpus Day snifter

A-pours like motor oil in the glass. Jet black with thick dark brown head.

S-huge vanilla and chocalate notes. Nice under lacing of spice.

T-a beautiful blend of chocalate and vanilla. Wonderful spice flavor that gives it a great bitter finish. Just perfect.

M-thickness at a perfect level. Just absolutely coats your mouth with creamy sweetness.

O- easily one of the best beers I have ever had. A must have.

4.38/5  rDev -4.4%

2010 bottle.

A- Pours absolutely black with a one and a half finger dark brown/reddish hued head. The head is made up of nice, tightly knit, tiny bubbles. This beer literally stains the glass when swirled it is so dark. Excellent lacing and alcohol legs. Easily the darkest beer and darkest head I have ever seen. The best looking beer I have ever seen, as a matter of fact. For those of you who did not give this a 5 for appearance, I have no idea what you're thinking.

S- Brown sugar, molasses, some vanilla, cinnamon, and spiciness from the chiles and alcohol. Dark malts take a back seat. No astonishingly apparent chocolate smell here. Smells nice.

T- Cocoa nibs dominate this beer with an excellent chocolate flavor. The chiles are also apparent, but are kept in check. The chiles also bring a little tartness to the table. Not really picking up much of the other boat-load of ingredients in this beer though. The chocolate added to this beer is done in a very classy way, and is very enjoyable, unlike some beers I've had (cough, southern tier choklat, cough, southern tier mokah, cough, cough).

M- The thickest beer I have had in a long time, maybe the thickest ever. Literally like drinking a milkshake. Very heavy. The light tartness makes this feel slightly thinner on the back-end and during the swallow. Light carbonation, but just enough. Outstanding mouthfeel - easily one of the best I have ever had.

D- This beer has so much weight to it that splitting this with a friend is the way to go. I drank about 2/3's of the bottle and that was plenty even though this was an outstanding beer.

Overall, one of the best beers I've had in a while. Would have liked to see more complexity in the taste, though. Still, great stuff that I will definitely trade for again.

4.35/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I have never had Hunahpu this fresh so I may be looking at things through a different set of eyes.

As soon as the bottle was open all I got was cinnamon raisin toast, seriously. This is not a bad thing, but it was was way more dark fruit than past offerings.

Everything was spot on, great nose, excellent head retention, outstanding mouthfeel.

I will open another bottle in 6-8 months and see how much this beer changes overtime and will update this review.

This is the stout all others should be judged by. I definitely compare all others to this beer. vintages 2011 and 2013 are the best years to get.
it pours as black as dark lord but in a whole nother category. the nose is that of vanilla, cinnamon, tabacco, chillies. Smells like a liquified swisher sweet cigar.

The mouthfeel is heavy and coats very well. the glass takes three rinses to clean.
just a bad ass beer period!

2.23/5  rDev -51.3%

This one is from notes.

A - One finger dark head overlying a black as night brew. Great head retention and lacing. There are multiple shades of brown that layer on top of each other within the head itself. Very nice.

S - Pickled jalapeno peppers, stale vinegar, and cinnamon. This is literally the worst smelling beer I have ever smelled. Gross.

T - Better than the smell, but still really bizarre and poorly melded together. Bitter roasts and dark chocolate up front, with harsh chiles and sourness in the finish.

M - Very nice. Rich and thick - just as a heavy, high ABV stout should be. Not much carbonation, nearly perfect to my liking.

D - Not a whole lot here. The overpowering aroma and taste of the jalepenos/chiles leaves a lot to be desired in this beer. And it's a shame too - without the addition of such random, poorly chosen ingredients, such as the chiles, this would make a truly excellent stout. If this were available on tap at the Map Room or any other Chicago beer bar, I would certainly not order it, nor would I ever seek out another bottle.

4.7/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Stone RIS snifter.

A: pours a thick dark black, with a 2 finger mocha foam that stays for awhile. very carbonated.

S: chocolate and coffee hit the nose right away, a little bit of vanilla and a little of the chilies are noticeable.

T: smooth and delicious, semi-sweet chocolates, hints of hotness from the chillies smoothed out by the vanilla.

M/D: Exceptionally tasty, the carbonation is just right, it works well with this beer. a spicy and sweet beer. delicious.

4.73/5  rDev +3.3%

Reviewed from notes. Thanks to rhinos00 for splitting this 3 ways with me.

A: Pitch black with very dark tan colored head. Reduces to a thick film. This beer is exactly how a RIS should look. Absolutely perfect.

S: Smells like sweet chocolate with a little spiciness and coffee coming through. Hint of cinnamon.

T: WOW. This is great. Lots of coffee in the taste. Especially at the end. Burnt roasty malts in the finish complemented well with dark chocolate. Pick up a little chile and cinnamon in the middle. Vanilla comes through in the finish. Very complex flavors going on with this beer.

M: Super viscous. Very thick. I love this mouthfeel in RIS. Not overcarbonated.

D: 11.5%....never would have known. Went down easy. Very little alcohol burn at all. Really enjoyed this beer

4.8/5  rDev +4.8%

2011 Vintage poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a dark, inky black with a dark frothy head that slowly dissipates.

S: Notes of chocolate, cocoa, sweet chili, alcohol with a strong malt backbone.

T: Starts with a dusty chocolate up front, followed by a chili heat in the back of the throat which is still balanced by a sweetness that permeates the mouth. Lastly, there is some alcohol heat that hits the back of the throat and causes a brief resurgence of the earlier flavors.

M: Thick body, but avoids being syrupy. The balance of complex flavors keeps it from being cloying in a very different way.

O: A very unique stout, but a very good one too. Bold, complex flavors take a familiar style and make it into something exceptional.

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

Had this at the re-grand opening event on 1/15/10.

A- Pour a thick black with a light dark brown head.

S-Vanilla and light chocolate hit the nose first then some roasted malts.

T-Again big vanilla. Then roasted malts come in with some chocalate (not dark, but not milk either). No bitterness present. Great flavor. You cant really taste the chili peppers at all. No heat either.

M-Very creamy, and kinda hot. I didnt taste the peppers, but about 1/3 done witht he beer and you start to feel a slight burn, a good burn down your throat. Not an alcohol burn tho, a hot pepeper burn.

D-For and 11.5% beer, you cant taste the alcohol at all. If I were to guess, I would have said 7%. This is one great beer, I could have a ton of these, until I started to stagger across the room. Best beer I have had to date. PERIOD.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing