Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Reviews: 707 | Hads: 3,552
4.99/5  rDev +10.6%

Really enjoyed this.

Poured thick, black, oily, very little head. Great aroma, subtle chile spice. First sips while still cold were all chocolate. As it warmed up a lot more complexity came through, no heat but some chile flavor, not much cinnamon, just good balance.

Easy to see why this was so highly rated. More please...

4.32/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle dated 2013. Poured from 750 ml into pint glass. Oily black. Little brown head. Smells of chocolate, roasted malt, and cinnamon. Tastes the same. Vanilla. Finishes spicy. Delicious.

4.38/5  rDev -2.9%

2010 bottle.

A- Pours absolutely black with a one and a half finger dark brown/reddish hued head. The head is made up of nice, tightly knit, tiny bubbles. This beer literally stains the glass when swirled it is so dark. Excellent lacing and alcohol legs. Easily the darkest beer and darkest head I have ever seen. The best looking beer I have ever seen, as a matter of fact. For those of you who did not give this a 5 for appearance, I have no idea what you're thinking.

S- Brown sugar, molasses, some vanilla, cinnamon, and spiciness from the chiles and alcohol. Dark malts take a back seat. No astonishingly apparent chocolate smell here. Smells nice.

T- Cocoa nibs dominate this beer with an excellent chocolate flavor. The chiles are also apparent, but are kept in check. The chiles also bring a little tartness to the table. Not really picking up much of the other boat-load of ingredients in this beer though. The chocolate added to this beer is done in a very classy way, and is very enjoyable, unlike some beers I've had (cough, southern tier choklat, cough, southern tier mokah, cough, cough).

M- The thickest beer I have had in a long time, maybe the thickest ever. Literally like drinking a milkshake. Very heavy. The light tartness makes this feel slightly thinner on the back-end and during the swallow. Light carbonation, but just enough. Outstanding mouthfeel - easily one of the best I have ever had.

D- This beer has so much weight to it that splitting this with a friend is the way to go. I drank about 2/3's of the bottle and that was plenty even though this was an outstanding beer.

Overall, one of the best beers I've had in a while. Would have liked to see more complexity in the taste, though. Still, great stuff that I will definitely trade for again.

This is the stout all others should be judged by. I definitely compare all others to this beer. vintages 2011 and 2013 are the best years to get.
it pours as black as dark lord but in a whole nother category. the nose is that of vanilla, cinnamon, tabacco, chillies. Smells like a liquified swisher sweet cigar.

The mouthfeel is heavy and coats very well. the glass takes three rinses to clean.
just a bad ass beer period!

2.23/5  rDev -50.6%

This one is from notes.

A - One finger dark head overlying a black as night brew. Great head retention and lacing. There are multiple shades of brown that layer on top of each other within the head itself. Very nice.

S - Pickled jalapeno peppers, stale vinegar, and cinnamon. This is literally the worst smelling beer I have ever smelled. Gross.

T - Better than the smell, but still really bizarre and poorly melded together. Bitter roasts and dark chocolate up front, with harsh chiles and sourness in the finish.

M - Very nice. Rich and thick - just as a heavy, high ABV stout should be. Not much carbonation, nearly perfect to my liking.

D - Not a whole lot here. The overpowering aroma and taste of the jalepenos/chiles leaves a lot to be desired in this beer. And it's a shame too - without the addition of such random, poorly chosen ingredients, such as the chiles, this would make a truly excellent stout. If this were available on tap at the Map Room or any other Chicago beer bar, I would certainly not order it, nor would I ever seek out another bottle.

All cylinders are firing, perfect stout pour, amazing entertaining nose, multitude of flavors (coffee, vanilla, cinnamon) working over your taste palate with a nice heat finish. Perfect!!

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Stone RIS snifter.

A: pours a thick dark black, with a 2 finger mocha foam that stays for awhile. very carbonated.

S: chocolate and coffee hit the nose right away, a little bit of vanilla and a little of the chilies are noticeable.

T: smooth and delicious, semi-sweet chocolates, hints of hotness from the chillies smoothed out by the vanilla.

M/D: Exceptionally tasty, the carbonation is just right, it works well with this beer. a spicy and sweet beer. delicious.

4.87/5  rDev +8%

Had this at the re-grand opening event on 1/15/10.

A- Pour a thick black with a light dark brown head.

S-Vanilla and light chocolate hit the nose first then some roasted malts.

T-Again big vanilla. Then roasted malts come in with some chocalate (not dark, but not milk either). No bitterness present. Great flavor. You cant really taste the chili peppers at all. No heat either.

M-Very creamy, and kinda hot. I didnt taste the peppers, but about 1/3 done witht he beer and you start to feel a slight burn, a good burn down your throat. Not an alcohol burn tho, a hot pepeper burn.

D-For and 11.5% beer, you cant taste the alcohol at all. If I were to guess, I would have said 7%. This is one great beer, I could have a ton of these, until I started to stagger across the room. Best beer I have had to date. PERIOD.

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

2011 Vintage poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a dark, inky black with a dark frothy head that slowly dissipates.

S: Notes of chocolate, cocoa, sweet chili, alcohol with a strong malt backbone.

T: Starts with a dusty chocolate up front, followed by a chili heat in the back of the throat which is still balanced by a sweetness that permeates the mouth. Lastly, there is some alcohol heat that hits the back of the throat and causes a brief resurgence of the earlier flavors.

M: Thick body, but avoids being syrupy. The balance of complex flavors keeps it from being cloying in a very different way.

O: A very unique stout, but a very good one too. Bold, complex flavors take a familiar style and make it into something exceptional.

4.42/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Super excited to pop this bottle open. Had it for the first time last year during Philly Beer Week and was blown away. Bottle acquired via trade.

Pour is awesome: Pours a jet black with a deep tan head that sticks around for the whole ride. Excitement.

The nose is fantastic. Complex spice flavors meld with the vanilla and chocolate notes. Exactly what I remembered.

The taste follows suit. The taste is initially cinnamon, then I can actually taste the chilies used in the beer, followed by the spiciness of the chilies and then finishing out with a bittersweet chocolate tone.

Mouthfeel is fantastic too. Silky, thick and viscous. So good.

After about 4 oz I am finished with this beer just because it is so immense. The hype is well deserved.

2.99/5  rDev -33.7%

2011 vintage shared with 2 non-BA's, my Dad & sister, sometime in early April. Big thanks to Belthor for this one.

Poured into a snifter.

A - Pours a thick jet black with the darkest head that I've ever seen. The head was about a 2-finger billowy chocolate color and had great retention. Great lacing.

S - Large amounts of spicy chili's with a slight vanilla undertone. Also present is roasted coffee, dark chocolate, and sweet dark malts. It definitely smells different, but not so much in a good way.

T - Up front are notes of cocoa, a mild coffee, and a little vanilla. I can't get past the sickeningly sweetness that follows next. On the finish, I get a lot of cinnamon and a little bit of spicy chili's, but both are more unpleasant than anything. Very strong presence of burning alcohol.

M - The mouthfeel was good and pretty much what I'd expect. It was smooth, creamy, rich, and fairly full-bodied. My only gripe was that it seemed to be a little over carbonated.

D - Overall, the drinkability just isn't there for me. The taste is unappealing and tough to drink, given the sweetness and alcohol burn.

I'm glad that I got a chance to try it, but that'll be it for me.

4.28/5  rDev -5.1%

Bottle poured into pint glass. Must note that this is one of those bottles that leaked slightly during shipping. Apparently this was quite common for this batch of Hunahpu's.

A: Absolute black body topped by billowing dark tan head--almost 2 inches worth.

S: Chocolate, coffee and molasses with some tobacco and leather.

T: Taste follows aroma very well. There's also dark fruit and a slight hoppy bitterness in the finish.

M: Nice and thick, almost syrupy.

D: The lingering bitterness after a couple of glasses is a little much but that's not going to stop me from drinking this whole bottle by myself.

My first CC brew and we're off to a great start. A very solid stout!

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

2011 vintage enjoyed in honor of zombie Jesus.

Alright, so I've been dying to try this and figured Easter was an appropriate occasion. Poured it out into some HotD snifters with a fellow BA. The first thing I noticed was the generous head and insane, sexy time, legs.

Smelled like grade school. I couldn't put my finger on it at first, but what this really smells like is science class, circa 6th grade. I remember it like it was yesterday (dissolve to a long time ago...)

Ms. Janonis drove a Fiero and had a boy's haircut. We didn't know better and just thought she was damn cool. She was teaching us about physical change due to applied heat. We were cooking down sugar to make candy, basically. I'll never forget the incredible smell that cooked sugar made as it melted down into a clear brown glass. That is exactly what Hunahpu smells like and it is awesome.

Taste is a home run, too. Cinnamon and burnt sugar and vanilla and then, as the last taste is leaving your tongue, the chile heat. Just a little tingle on the buds. It's like a Chinatown happy ending.

This beast is also creamy like horchata. Creamy like you could eat it with a fork. Creamy like I am not sure I will ever be able to completely wash it out of the glasswear, now stained permanently brown.

Anyway, this is a special brew and worth every effort to obtain. I wish I had more.

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Big thanks to Sentz for being kind and generous enough to part with a bottle. After cellaring for 5 months discovered cap was slightly lifted and there was stickiness running down the side. But welcome hiss when popped - beer so thick it must have sealed again. Poured into a wine glass, enjoyed chilled on a winter porch and let it warm throughout the evening.

(A) Dark, pitch black. Pours thick as rich hot chocolate - color too. Rich deep reddish-brown head. Keep thinking gourmet hot chocolate.

(S) Dark chocolate, coffee nose. Wisp of fresh, spicy chili pepper.

(T) Wow wow wow. Rich, high quality, high % cacao. Spice more prevalent as warms. Coffee again. Slight cinnamon.

(M) Thick, silky, pure indulgence. Coats mouth and tongue. Like letting piece of chocolate melt on your tongue with a spicy kick. But not cloying, and still slightly prickly carbonation on tongue.

(D) Tremendous dessert beer to be split with a friend or brother-in-law, but when he doesn't show up even better as an all night sipper.

4.61/5  rDev +2.2%

A: pours thick black velvet liquid and a huge deep deep brown head and stays like it has to. real nice

S: chocolate roast with heat from the chili and a slight coffee. a little lighter than i would expect

T: first taste when it was slightly chilled and huge chili upfront with the cinnamon peaking its head around the corner. vanilla chocolate cooling the spices down. when its cold i can pick out every ingredient individually which was slightly overwhelming at first but when it warmed up and my tongue adjusted everything came together beautifully. it was really like night and day when it warmed up. the flavors came together perfectly

M: sticky full body slickness with a little pop from the carb. it seaks out every part of my mouth trying to find a place needing flavor

D: its a big flavored beer that is really thick. I'd like to say i could finish the bottle by myself but i know it would take 2 or 3 hours but those would be some nice hours. when its cold it was just a tad to huge but when it warmed up i could sip on it much easier

4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the 2013 vintage as I wanted it fairly fresh. It has about 3/4 of a year on it.

Pours out dark as night with a one-finger, dark brown head with great retention and some nice lacing. Smell is nice chocolate forward with some decent vanilla and definitely a little peppers but not overdone. Definitely some nice dark, burnt malts in there as well. The nose is really well balanced and melds together well. Taste is chocolate forward, dark malts next, then comes the vanilla, but like the first time I had this the peppers really aren't forward until you've drank a quarter of the glass so that's what I am expecting here. After a few more gulps you can sense the peppers. Everything REALLY comes together well. This is a great recipe. Mouthfeel is definitely on the thick side like I love my stouts given decent carbonation. Overall this is one of my favorite stouts (I have lot's favorites) an look forward to my trip to Florida so that hopefully I can do some in person trading and get a couple more bottles as I want to share with my friends,

Edit: I love this beer so much cause at first you barely notice the peppers but after half a glass they start to make you sweat a tad bit. This beer is put together so well.

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Had this at the grand reopening on January 15th so I'm going off memory.

A - Appearance was black with a thin brown head that dissipated quickly

S - Vanilla, coffee, chocolate and a cinnamon like smell probably from the chillies

T - Amazing, Goes trough 4 different distinct flavors vanilla, coffee, chocolate and the chillies on the backend. Honestly I didn't think this would be as wonderful as it was. I thought the chillies would be to much but they made it just perfect.

M - Creamy

D - At the high ABV of 11.5% the alcohol is masked extremely well.

Overall this is a beer lovers dream extremely complex and super tasty. Easily my new favorite beer.

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Cigar City Never Ceases to Impress!

A: Motor Oil Black, Sticks to the Glass, Tar Pit with a tan frothy head that hunkers down low around the edge of the glass.

S: Plumb, Raison, Malty, Roasty, Chocolaty, Caramel, Alcohol, Subtle Molasses hints/

T: Just tasting this beer lets me know that God loves us and wants us to be happy. Possibly The Holy Grail of Stouts? This beer should be in a genre of it's own, with it's Intense Dark Chocolate & Roasted Grains, Almost a woody earthy background. Slight alcohol burn. or is it? Suddenly you will feel a burn in the back of your throught that soon spreads to the rest of your mouth. This beer is alive and won't go down with out a fight.

MF: Creamy, moderate Carbonation. Hot Pepper tingle.

D: (More, give me More. Now!) obviously not for the faint of heart or die hard BMC drinkers whom would never appreciate the artwork within the glass.

3.38/5  rDev -25.1%

2013 release, served in snifter

A - Black, creamy dark brown head, finger length... not much lacing

S - Milk chocolate

T - tastes like an imperial milk stout

M - Rich and creamy

O - Very disappointed, I would have much preferred the 4 KBS I traded for this... the beer is very one dimensional to me. I served the beer at 55 degrees and over an hour drank this beer and let it warm to room temp. It smells like carbonation was rushed if that makes sense to home brewers. I did not get any of the spice or vanilla... it just tastes like a creamy chocolate milk stout... not that that is bad, I just expected a lot more from this... I think this is the first beer where I gave the highest rating due to the appearance... due to it's price/rarity and what it is trading for I would give the beer a 2 out of 5.

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from bottle into tulip. Date of review is 6/14/14.

Appearance- Pitch black with a half-finger dark tan head. Great lacing straight away. Little to no carbonation.

Smell- Peppers and cinnamon are the first two dominant scents. Following that, I detect brown sugar and vanilla. I imagine this is gonna be a sweeter stout. Just perfect in every aspect of scent.

Taste- Same exact flavors as scents, which is remarkable. The vanilla, cinnamon, peppers and cacao nibs all play their parts perfectly. So much hoppier than I had expected. A real treat to say the least.

Mouthfeel- Again, perfect in every way. Coats your mouth in a delicious stew of wonderful flavors and gives you the tingles in your throat. This beer has the perfect amount of peppers.

Overall- Almost a perfect beer. I will be seeking this beer out on every possible occasion. I will be trading for this, so I am ISO.

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750mL served in a duvel glass (denis meyers edition). 2011 Vintage. Thanks to AgentZero for hooking me up with this. Split with Shumania, but we developed our initial opinions separately.

A- pours a deep black, with a dark brown, 1-finger head.

S- dry cocoa, a lot of cherry

T- cherry, a montage of spices throughout, dry cocoa. Chili spice on the back end, but a touch subtle. More cherry. Vanilla is there but is tough to find.

M- cherry lingers...sweet, coats the mouth. Creamy.

O- an excellent beer. Had this without any food, but I suspect this would fare well with a pairing...perhaps some form of spicy chocolate, or a rare steak.

edit: as it warms, getting a lot more chocolate and spice, much less cherry.

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

A - jet black with a ton of chocolate milk head

S - roasted malts, chocolate, vanilla

T - huge roasted taste, cinnamon, just a hint of spice, and then everything is mellowed out by the vanilla

M - lush, rich, incredibly smooth

O - an incredible beer, a complex mix of flavors that meld incredibly well

I reviewed the 2011 version with a year of aging. My only complaint with this beer is CCB does not make enough of it. I had to quit my job to get this as a going away gift, thanks PintOStout!

2.5/5  rDev -44.6%

Poured a 2011 vintage into a CCB snifter and shared with my girlfriend

A: Pours like molasses, midnight black in hue with a slow-rising, deep chocolate colored head. The head quickly falls and the liquid sits like oil in the glass. Slow falling, vinous legs drip down the sides of the glass upon swirling. Very attractive beer.

S: Very bold burnt roast profile upfront, heavy on the anise and alcohol. A slight waft of baker's chocolate resides in the background. I have to say, the alcohol and burnt roast character don't make for the most inviting aroma...

T: Wow, there is a lot going on here. Some things in a good way, a lot of things in a not so good way. Bitter, dark chocolate upfront with a very heavy lean on malts roasted to the point of char and a touch of heat from the chiles. The middle of the beer is the hardest to get through but near the finish is not as bad as the previous taste leads you to believe. Instead of a bitter charred bite, the beer starts to finish with a kick of vanilla, a touch of cinnamon, and a pretty good velvety, chocolate cake like profile. However before the sweet taste really sets in, the alcohol rears it's ugly head and leaves a lasting, burning note that makes for a not so pleasant aftertaste. In all, a lot is going on here and it is not exactly well blended.

M: Decent mouthfeel, thick and syrupy with slightly too much carbonation. Full bodied, with a very coating character. Finishes with a tingling burning sensation from the alcohol and a high emphasis on a tobacco like char. Sits EXTREMELY heavily in the stomach.

O: I really wanted to like this beer, I really did. It is possible that Imperial Stouts just aren't my thing but this was a really rough beer to get through. Going in, I was expecting a well blended, smooth and dessert like stout with an intriguing blend of flavors. What I got out of it was a rather harsh beer that I kept wanting to like, but each consecutive sip made me cringe just a little more. I didn't want to waste my $20 investment and thought maybe, just maybe it would start to get better over time. Wrong assumption. The char and the alcohol were just too much and the balance that I sought just wasn't there.

All in all, I had to suck it up and drain pour half of the $20 bottle after about 2 hours of trying to get through it. I could likely enjoy this beer as maybe a 3oz sample, but any more than that seems to become insufferable and hard to finish. I guess my next bottle will have to be brought out amongst A LOT of people. I can't see how many people could endure more than a couple ounces of this brew in one sitting.

By the way, the beer literally made my girlfriend physically sick.

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An awesome treat during a tasting session at Damico's place. Pours a dark black color with a caramel colored head. Has an aroma of vanilla and pepper. Sweet start. Then notes of pepper and vanilla, that mix with the cinnamon, to give it a wood flavor. An awesome cocoa finish with notes of cimmamon. What makes this beer so special is the perfect medium mouthfeel and the quality flavor of the cocoa. Cannot wait to get my hands on another one. Many thanks to Damico for tasting of this top IS.

4.74/5  rDev +5.1%

Big thanks to steppnrazr and cyrusthepup for hooking me up with a couple bottles of this. Two exceptional BAs.

2011 Edition 750mL bottle poured into Cigar City snifter on April 14, 2011.

A- Poured vigorously into the bottom of the snifter. Thick and oily, like draining the oil in your car. Absolutely no head, no matter how hard I tried. Acceptable lacing, given the ABV.

S- Immediate chocolate presence, followed by a nice vanilla and and coffee smell. Let it warm up significantly, the cinnamon and chile pulls through at the end. Impressed.

T- Sweet vanilla chocolate up front, followed almost immediately by a nice cinnamon and spice from the chiles. The chiles mask the alcohol beautifully, and create a heat I wish more stouts had.

M- Thick and creamy, with medium-low carbonation. Coats the mouth and throat without overwhelming, leaving a nice lingering flavor.

O- Considering this beer's exceptional status going in, I was more that pleasantly surprised that all the ingredients in the bottle are displayed in both taste and smell. I didn't think I would love the chiles, but I was proven wrong. Give this beer time to warm to a little below room temperature, and it becomes a frontrunner for my favorite non-bal stout. A very well balanced beer that is worth seeking out.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing