Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Hunahpu's Imperial StoutHunahpu's Imperial Stout

Wants: 3,501
Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Reviews: 695 | Hads: 3,452
4.28/5  rDev -4.9%

Bottle poured into pint glass. Must note that this is one of those bottles that leaked slightly during shipping. Apparently this was quite common for this batch of Hunahpu's.

A: Absolute black body topped by billowing dark tan head--almost 2 inches worth.

S: Chocolate, coffee and molasses with some tobacco and leather.

T: Taste follows aroma very well. There's also dark fruit and a slight hoppy bitterness in the finish.

M: Nice and thick, almost syrupy.

D: The lingering bitterness after a couple of glasses is a little much but that's not going to stop me from drinking this whole bottle by myself.

My first CC brew and we're off to a great start. A very solid stout! (678 characters)

4.5/5  rDev 0%

2011 vintage enjoyed in honor of zombie Jesus.

Alright, so I've been dying to try this and figured Easter was an appropriate occasion. Poured it out into some HotD snifters with a fellow BA. The first thing I noticed was the generous head and insane, sexy time, legs.

Smelled like grade school. I couldn't put my finger on it at first, but what this really smells like is science class, circa 6th grade. I remember it like it was yesterday (dissolve to a long time ago...)

Ms. Janonis drove a Fiero and had a boy's haircut. We didn't know better and just thought she was damn cool. She was teaching us about physical change due to applied heat. We were cooking down sugar to make candy, basically. I'll never forget the incredible smell that cooked sugar made as it melted down into a clear brown glass. That is exactly what Hunahpu smells like and it is awesome.

Taste is a home run, too. Cinnamon and burnt sugar and vanilla and then, as the last taste is leaving your tongue, the chile heat. Just a little tingle on the buds. It's like a Chinatown happy ending.

This beast is also creamy like horchata. Creamy like you could eat it with a fork. Creamy like I am not sure I will ever be able to completely wash it out of the glasswear, now stained permanently brown.

Anyway, this is a special brew and worth every effort to obtain. I wish I had more. (1,363 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%

Big thanks to Sentz for being kind and generous enough to part with a bottle. After cellaring for 5 months discovered cap was slightly lifted and there was stickiness running down the side. But welcome hiss when popped - beer so thick it must have sealed again. Poured into a wine glass, enjoyed chilled on a winter porch and let it warm throughout the evening.

(A) Dark, pitch black. Pours thick as rich hot chocolate - color too. Rich deep reddish-brown head. Keep thinking gourmet hot chocolate.

(S) Dark chocolate, coffee nose. Wisp of fresh, spicy chili pepper.

(T) Wow wow wow. Rich, high quality, high % cacao. Spice more prevalent as warms. Coffee again. Slight cinnamon.

(M) Thick, silky, pure indulgence. Coats mouth and tongue. Like letting piece of chocolate melt on your tongue with a spicy kick. But not cloying, and still slightly prickly carbonation on tongue.

(D) Tremendous dessert beer to be split with a friend or brother-in-law, but when he doesn't show up even better as an all night sipper. (1,019 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +2.4%

A: pours thick black velvet liquid and a huge deep deep brown head and stays like it has to. real nice

S: chocolate roast with heat from the chili and a slight coffee. a little lighter than i would expect

T: first taste when it was slightly chilled and huge chili upfront with the cinnamon peaking its head around the corner. vanilla chocolate cooling the spices down. when its cold i can pick out every ingredient individually which was slightly overwhelming at first but when it warmed up and my tongue adjusted everything came together beautifully. it was really like night and day when it warmed up. the flavors came together perfectly

M: sticky full body slickness with a little pop from the carb. it seaks out every part of my mouth trying to find a place needing flavor

D: its a big flavored beer that is really thick. I'd like to say i could finish the bottle by myself but i know it would take 2 or 3 hours but those would be some nice hours. when its cold it was just a tad to huge but when it warmed up i could sip on it much easier (1,047 characters)

My favorite beer overall. And that's after having Julius, Mexican Cake, Good Morning, and other top rated beers. The mouthfeel on this thing is what separates it from the rest. The complexity is off the chain. Each sip is different. (232 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the 2013 vintage as I wanted it fairly fresh. It has about 3/4 of a year on it.

Pours out dark as night with a one-finger, dark brown head with great retention and some nice lacing. Smell is nice chocolate forward with some decent vanilla and definitely a little peppers but not overdone. Definitely some nice dark, burnt malts in there as well. The nose is really well balanced and melds together well. Taste is chocolate forward, dark malts next, then comes the vanilla, but like the first time I had this the peppers really aren't forward until you've drank a quarter of the glass so that's what I am expecting here. After a few more gulps you can sense the peppers. Everything REALLY comes together well. This is a great recipe. Mouthfeel is definitely on the thick side like I love my stouts given decent carbonation. Overall this is one of my favorite stouts (I have lot's favorites) an look forward to my trip to Florida so that hopefully I can do some in person trading and get a couple more bottles as I want to share with my friends,

Edit: I love this beer so much cause at first you barely notice the peppers but after half a glass they start to make you sweat a tad bit. This beer is put together so well. (1,227 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Had this at the grand reopening on January 15th so I'm going off memory.

A - Appearance was black with a thin brown head that dissipated quickly

S - Vanilla, coffee, chocolate and a cinnamon like smell probably from the chillies

T - Amazing, Goes trough 4 different distinct flavors vanilla, coffee, chocolate and the chillies on the backend. Honestly I didn't think this would be as wonderful as it was. I thought the chillies would be to much but they made it just perfect.

M - Creamy

D - At the high ABV of 11.5% the alcohol is masked extremely well.

Overall this is a beer lovers dream extremely complex and super tasty. Easily my new favorite beer. (662 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +8.4%

Cigar City Never Ceases to Impress!

A: Motor Oil Black, Sticks to the Glass, Tar Pit with a tan frothy head that hunkers down low around the edge of the glass.

S: Plumb, Raison, Malty, Roasty, Chocolaty, Caramel, Alcohol, Subtle Molasses hints/

T: Just tasting this beer lets me know that God loves us and wants us to be happy. Possibly The Holy Grail of Stouts? This beer should be in a genre of it's own, with it's Intense Dark Chocolate & Roasted Grains, Almost a woody earthy background. Slight alcohol burn. or is it? Suddenly you will feel a burn in the back of your throught that soon spreads to the rest of your mouth. This beer is alive and won't go down with out a fight.

MF: Creamy, moderate Carbonation. Hot Pepper tingle.

D: (More, give me More. Now!) obviously not for the faint of heart or die hard BMC drinkers whom would never appreciate the artwork within the glass. (890 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -24.9%

2013 release, served in snifter

A - Black, creamy dark brown head, finger length... not much lacing

S - Milk chocolate

T - tastes like an imperial milk stout

M - Rich and creamy

O - Very disappointed, I would have much preferred the 4 KBS I traded for this... the beer is very one dimensional to me. I served the beer at 55 degrees and over an hour drank this beer and let it warm to room temp. It smells like carbonation was rushed if that makes sense to home brewers. I did not get any of the spice or vanilla... it just tastes like a creamy chocolate milk stout... not that that is bad, I just expected a lot more from this... I think this is the first beer where I gave the highest rating due to the appearance... due to it's price/rarity and what it is trading for I would give the beer a 2 out of 5. (812 characters)

4.45/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750mL served in a duvel glass (denis meyers edition). 2011 Vintage. Thanks to AgentZero for hooking me up with this. Split with Shumania, but we developed our initial opinions separately.

A- pours a deep black, with a dark brown, 1-finger head.

S- dry cocoa, a lot of cherry

T- cherry, a montage of spices throughout, dry cocoa. Chili spice on the back end, but a touch subtle. More cherry. Vanilla is there but is tough to find.

M- cherry lingers...sweet, coats the mouth. Creamy.

O- an excellent beer. Had this without any food, but I suspect this would fare well with a pairing...perhaps some form of spicy chocolate, or a rare steak.

edit: as it warms, getting a lot more chocolate and spice, much less cherry. (720 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +7.3%

A - jet black with a ton of chocolate milk head

S - roasted malts, chocolate, vanilla

T - huge roasted taste, cinnamon, just a hint of spice, and then everything is mellowed out by the vanilla

M - lush, rich, incredibly smooth

O - an incredible beer, a complex mix of flavors that meld incredibly well

I reviewed the 2011 version with a year of aging. My only complaint with this beer is CCB does not make enough of it. I had to quit my job to get this as a going away gift, thanks PintOStout! (498 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -44.4%

Poured a 2011 vintage into a CCB snifter and shared with my girlfriend

A: Pours like molasses, midnight black in hue with a slow-rising, deep chocolate colored head. The head quickly falls and the liquid sits like oil in the glass. Slow falling, vinous legs drip down the sides of the glass upon swirling. Very attractive beer.

S: Very bold burnt roast profile upfront, heavy on the anise and alcohol. A slight waft of baker's chocolate resides in the background. I have to say, the alcohol and burnt roast character don't make for the most inviting aroma...

T: Wow, there is a lot going on here. Some things in a good way, a lot of things in a not so good way. Bitter, dark chocolate upfront with a very heavy lean on malts roasted to the point of char and a touch of heat from the chiles. The middle of the beer is the hardest to get through but near the finish is not as bad as the previous taste leads you to believe. Instead of a bitter charred bite, the beer starts to finish with a kick of vanilla, a touch of cinnamon, and a pretty good velvety, chocolate cake like profile. However before the sweet taste really sets in, the alcohol rears it's ugly head and leaves a lasting, burning note that makes for a not so pleasant aftertaste. In all, a lot is going on here and it is not exactly well blended.

M: Decent mouthfeel, thick and syrupy with slightly too much carbonation. Full bodied, with a very coating character. Finishes with a tingling burning sensation from the alcohol and a high emphasis on a tobacco like char. Sits EXTREMELY heavily in the stomach.

O: I really wanted to like this beer, I really did. It is possible that Imperial Stouts just aren't my thing but this was a really rough beer to get through. Going in, I was expecting a well blended, smooth and dessert like stout with an intriguing blend of flavors. What I got out of it was a rather harsh beer that I kept wanting to like, but each consecutive sip made me cringe just a little more. I didn't want to waste my $20 investment and thought maybe, just maybe it would start to get better over time. Wrong assumption. The char and the alcohol were just too much and the balance that I sought just wasn't there.

All in all, I had to suck it up and drain pour half of the $20 bottle after about 2 hours of trying to get through it. I could likely enjoy this beer as maybe a 3oz sample, but any more than that seems to become insufferable and hard to finish. I guess my next bottle will have to be brought out amongst A LOT of people. I can't see how many people could endure more than a couple ounces of this brew in one sitting.

By the way, the beer literally made my girlfriend physically sick. (2,685 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An awesome treat during a tasting session at Damico's place. Pours a dark black color with a caramel colored head. Has an aroma of vanilla and pepper. Sweet start. Then notes of pepper and vanilla, that mix with the cinnamon, to give it a wood flavor. An awesome cocoa finish with notes of cimmamon. What makes this beer so special is the perfect medium mouthfeel and the quality flavor of the cocoa. Cannot wait to get my hands on another one. Many thanks to Damico for tasting of this top IS. (494 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from bottle into tulip. Date of review is 6/14/14.

Appearance- Pitch black with a half-finger dark tan head. Great lacing straight away. Little to no carbonation.

Smell- Peppers and cinnamon are the first two dominant scents. Following that, I detect brown sugar and vanilla. I imagine this is gonna be a sweeter stout. Just perfect in every aspect of scent.

Taste- Same exact flavors as scents, which is remarkable. The vanilla, cinnamon, peppers and cacao nibs all play their parts perfectly. So much hoppier than I had expected. A real treat to say the least.

Mouthfeel- Again, perfect in every way. Coats your mouth in a delicious stew of wonderful flavors and gives you the tingles in your throat. This beer has the perfect amount of peppers.

Overall- Almost a perfect beer. I will be seeking this beer out on every possible occasion. I will be trading for this, so I am ISO. (897 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +5.3%

Big thanks to steppnrazr and cyrusthepup for hooking me up with a couple bottles of this. Two exceptional BAs.

2011 Edition 750mL bottle poured into Cigar City snifter on April 14, 2011.

A- Poured vigorously into the bottom of the snifter. Thick and oily, like draining the oil in your car. Absolutely no head, no matter how hard I tried. Acceptable lacing, given the ABV.

S- Immediate chocolate presence, followed by a nice vanilla and and coffee smell. Let it warm up significantly, the cinnamon and chile pulls through at the end. Impressed.

T- Sweet vanilla chocolate up front, followed almost immediately by a nice cinnamon and spice from the chiles. The chiles mask the alcohol beautifully, and create a heat I wish more stouts had.

M- Thick and creamy, with medium-low carbonation. Coats the mouth and throat without overwhelming, leaving a nice lingering flavor.

O- Considering this beer's exceptional status going in, I was more that pleasantly surprised that all the ingredients in the bottle are displayed in both taste and smell. I didn't think I would love the chiles, but I was proven wrong. Give this beer time to warm to a little below room temperature, and it becomes a frontrunner for my favorite non-bal stout. A very well balanced beer that is worth seeking out. (1,288 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +1.1%

Bought it at Cervezas in South Miami for the Release Party. World's best american double imperial stout! 35 bucks and 11.5 alcohol! Oh boy, Peruvian Cacao Nibs, Ancho and Pasilla Chiles. Cinnamon and Madagascar Vanilla Beans. What else can I ask for? This is the Champagne of beers. (282 characters)

4.43/5  rDev -1.6%

I got this bottle in a trade with urwithdave

Pours black as night and it produces a finger width of very dark mocha colored head and leaves a ring of lace with each drink. The nose has a lot of chocolate, then the next most powerful is vanilla, and lastly cinnamon I don't pick up any peppers which is a little sad. Now with the taste some things change that I didn't expect where I didn't smell a lot of cinnamon I pick it up more in the taste also with the vanilla. The chocolate play background to the cinnamon and vanilla, but this time I pick up just a slight hint of pepper which is very hard to notice (maybe I need to try it fresher). The mouthfeel is amazing its just what I expect out of big world class stouts. Huge massive, chewy body that coats the inside of my mouth and lingers. This was a huge want of mine mainly due to having Conquistador De Muerte from FFF and loving it due to the spicy pepper presence. I expected Huna to be just as spicy but alas it wasn't. But all in all an amazing beer that I would love to try on tap. (1,044 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

750 split as a night cap. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

a: black as night and no light is getting through this beer. Good one finger head that lasts for awhile.

s: Sweet on the smell with dark fruits showing up first with cherry and figs. Slight vanilla deep in the smell.

t: The cacao comes though at the beginning of the taste along with the cherry in the smell. Very interesting spiciness from the chiles that is unique to an imperial stout.

m: Nice creaminess to this one. This is definitely a beer to sip and enjoy.

I am really glad I got to try this beer. The spiciness makes this beer very unique and adds a lot of complexity. This is blended together well where all the components come to together well and one aspect is not overpowering. (749 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The aroma is cinnamon, chocolate, chilies, vanilla - exactly as advertised. Right away I can tell this is a super complex and intense beer. The taste follows the nose with huge chocolate, vanilla, and cinnamon notes. Its such a big beer and sets the standard for mouth feel. The beer is coating the glass and my mouth. I can taste this beer 5 minutes after taking a sip because it coats the mouth and throat so heavily. Chilies have faded after a year, but still remain prominent in the nose and the heat builds as the beer coats the mouth and throat. It pours with almost zero head and that counts against it is the look department, but its hard to find anything wrong with this beer. (685 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +10%

the Hunahpu is the best, plain and simple, out of all the big stouts(DL, IST, Darkness, etc), Hunahpu releases a very smooth well rounded chocolatey malty flavor that just puts any other beer to shame,i strongly suggest finding this beer and trying it, my favorite hope its your too (282 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +8.4%

Update from CC. The 2011 version is even better. More chocolate and vanilla with less pronounced peppers. Still get the heat, but mostly on the backend. Superb..
The description on the bottle says it all. The aroma was spicy chilies. The taste was like nothing I have had before. A great stout with undercurrents of roasted malt, chocolate, and cocoa that are dominated by vanilla and peppers. Wowzers... (404 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I had this in the Cigar City Tasting Room. Great place, great experience, fine beer. Dark, solid black with extremely dark brown thin head. Sweet caramely smell. Full of different flavors with so much going on it's near indescribable. Bitter cocoa powder, thick dark chocolate, vanilla, some dark cherry and spicy notes with lots of booziness. Oily, thick mouthfeel and bitter but pleasant finish. This is an outstanding, albeit one and done type beer. I recommend the beer and HIGHLY recommend the Cigar City Tasting Room experience. (534 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks to beerlando for this gem.

Pours a ridiculously nice, super dark brown and topped with a red tinted mocha head. Smells of subltey sweet chocolate and malt. Flavor is dynamic. Starts with a sweet subtle cinnamon and then moves toward milk chocolate. Finish is dark chocolate and bitter in a good way. Mouthfeel is lusciously smooth and creamy. An altogether phenomenal beer that embodies everything I want in a stout. WOW!

EDIT: Had again last night (since this review have had most highly regarded stouts out there) and it is so f'ing phenomenal I had to give it a better review. (589 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

Many thanks to alleykatking for sharing some of the 2011 version. Thanks again for this treat.

A- Pours a motor oil black with the scantiest deep mocha brown head. Wisps of the head remained for a minute or two. No lacing on the glass as to be expected.

S- It was like waking up and having some flavored coffee. Even before I brought it to my nose, whiffs of chocolate and hazelnut came through. The primary smell however was the coffee.

T- Follows up on the nose quite well. Powerful coffee at the end with hints of sweet chocolate at the beginning. The coffee has some vanilla and cinnamon/hazelnut characters that are more minimal than the coffee and chocolate.

M- Thick viscous body with good carbonation. There was some slight burn at the back end. It wasn't an alcohol burn because the alcohol wasn't noticeable.

O- An extremely tasty brew that I would gladly seek out again. I am glad I had a smaller pour (5oz) because it was so rich that I would have had a hard time finishing much more. Very tasty and well worth the hype. Possibly my favorite RIS. (1,063 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from a bottle shared at Upstate BA Gathering - 6/9/2010.

Thick, dark mahogany in color, with a tiny bubbled tan head. Aroma includes milk chocolate, vanilla bean and slightly pungent pepper. Flavor bursts forth with chocolate, roasty chicory and cinnamony goodness. Finish hits with the spicy heat of the peppers included in the recipe. Deeply satifying and the best sweet/hot combination-style brews I've yet to try. Awesome. (434 characters)

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing