2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Maduro Oatmeal Brown AleMaduro Oatmeal Brown Ale

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Pours brown in color with notes of caramel, toffee, chocolate and hints of espresso. Flavor has caramel/toffee sweetness is upfront with intermingling notes of chocolate and espresso with a roasted peanut expression in the finish.

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-04-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,562 | Reviews: 583 | Show All Ratings:
mjtski

Loved this beer!

Bottle into Sam Adams Boston Lager Glass.

Appearance was dark brown with slight haze, Medium bodies off white cap.

Smell was of light chocolate and coffee with mealy warm notes common of an oatmeal stout..

Taste was exceptional with the mixing of darker flavors such as coffee, chocolate, and a spice I cant quite place.

Mouthfeel was silky smooth, the smootheness of an oatmeal stout without the weight of one.

Overall, this is my favorite varietal I've had so far.

04-09-2011 22:19:19 | More by mjtski
lnashsig

4.88/5  rDev +24.2%

Thanks to my buddy Brett in FL for sending. We cant get this in TX, and it drives me crazy.

A: Chocolate Brown pour into a dogfish head tulip glass. About 1.5 fingers of head tht quickly dissapated with a little tan lacing

S: Brown sugar, oats, caramel, tobacco, and a hint of nuttiness. I definetely thought of brown sugar oatmeal

T: This has some nice complexity- the oatmeal caries through, it has some really nice caramel nutiness, and just a little bit of musty flavor. Its obvious and impressive that the brewer had in mind a great beer to pair with a great cigar- the tobacco flavors get your palate reved up for a stogie.

M: Nice thickness to this one- medium bodied and consistent all the way down.

D: Highly drinkable, sessionable brown solid ale. Another great creation from the good folks at CCB.

12-15-2010 22:38:33 | More by lnashsig
m1ked

4.85/5  rDev +23.4%

Picked up a sixer to have with some friends at the corner market.

A- Pours a ruddy dark brown with some cloudy garnet edges. Gives off a nice large bubbled 1.5" tan head that swells, then ebbs to a thin tan cap with a couple of large bubbles popping here and there. I really noticed the slight cloudy appearance to the parts that are not totally void of color.

S- There's a rich slight sweetness in the front that is quickly replaced with some light woody, coffee bitter notes. That slight sweetness weaves throughout, like candied raisins (do those even exist) or something. Bottom line, it smells delicious.

T- Smooth creamy milk chocolate notes have a slight edge over some of the bitter coffee notes, but the balance is really noticeable between the two. there are some sweet raisiny hints in there too Once again, delicious.

M- Like the flavors, smooth & creamy. There is almost a silkiness to it. The carbonation is present, appreciated, and not distracting at all. This is listed in BA as an Oatmeal brown, but I do not see anything on the packaging stating as such, but it does have the creamy mouthfeel of oatmeal for sure.

D- I really think that this is the best brown ale I have had to date. Looks great, smells great, taste & feels delicious. I could easily drink several of these (I haven't yet). I feel that this style is a classic style, but I never get really "wowed" by any. This one does.

10-25-2010 21:45:17 | More by m1ked
mooseisloose

4.85/5  rDev +23.4%

My God I thought I was in a cigar shop, not picking this brew but picking which edition of this particular brew it is to review on this site! I'm sure that there are as many brews to pick as cigars in the Cigar City but best I can do is read the bottle and then guess. Anyways this is a raved Cigar City that I spotted, so lets give it a whirl. Popping the top I get a great waft of roasted malts and chocolate and.... No I'm done.... I have had it before and sipped it, now as I rate it, for a brown ale, who beats it?

12-12-2010 00:34:52 | More by mooseisloose
LuckySevens82

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

16 oz pint at Redlight Redlight here in Orlando.

Pours a very nice golden brown color. It almost looks like maple syrup. A good 2 finger tan head tops the beer, not much in the way of lacing however.

Smell is Chocolate, slight oat smoothness, and that quite inviting maple syrup that was hinted at by the color. There is a very mild hop aroma as well.

Taste is maple syrup, oats, loads of chocolate, and just a hint of brown sugar. A mild hop flavor rounds this one out quite nicely.

Overall, the beer goes down like how I would expect a brown ale should. Not too strong, not anything to scoff at either. At 5.5% Abv (from what I understand) this is definitely one of my new favorites. Not only that, but it's local, which makes it even better!

03-24-2009 03:05:11 | More by LuckySevens82
dBmV

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Coaxed out of a 12oz bottle into a glass. Dark mud brown cant see through it. Nice head that slowly sinks down. Carbonation does hang around though. COFFEE hit right away with chocalte in the background. This is a deep complex beer no doubt. Very filling you'll be dammed to finish the whole six pack. I.m not sure what to pair it with cause it stands out so much on its own but i guess a t-bone would go well with it.

01-23-2012 22:52:09 | More by dBmV
Katahdin

4.72/5  rDev +20.1%

A very nice interpretation of a traditional American Brown Ale. The Oatmeal flavor add sa bit of chewiness to it and gives the beer a nice stick to the ribs type taste. I found it a plesant beer to sip on a cool fall evening. It is filling but not in a bloating type way. An enjoyable experience.

11-12-2009 17:00:25 | More by Katahdin
olympuszymurgus

4.72/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An extra in a trade with Maddogg. I was pretty excited about the other extras he tossed in, and just kinda shoved this one in the fridge, thinking "hey, I need a beer, this will be a new one, cool"

Into a tulip, slightly chilled. Pours a beautiful brown, muddy and opaque. Wafting tobacco, coffee, roasty yummy good without the bittering char of most roast. A slight white head covers the edges of the glass, clinging on for dear life. Taste is outstanding. I cannot say I have ever like an American Brown Ale(on of the least sexy of all styles) so damned much.

Damn, I'm glad he sent me two of them, this is just great.

Cigar City, you are in the winners seat.

11-05-2010 01:44:00 | More by olympuszymurgus
neenerzig

4.7/5  rDev +19.6%

Picked up a single 12 oz bottle of this yesterday at a Publix in Sarasota, FL, as I am currently on vacaton there with my wife and family. So glad I am finally getting to try soemthing from this brewery! I can't get their stuff up in Cleveland, OH where I live, but I have heard nothing but very good things about this brewery and their beer. Poured into a pint glass, this beer pours a clear, medium brown color with a copper/amber glow/hue when held up to the light, along with lots of little bubbles hurrying up to the surface of the beer. The slightly tan/off white head is about an inch thick when first poured, eventually settling to a very nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass, along with bits of spotty surface foam here and there on the surface of the beer. The lacing leaves soemthing to be desired though. Aromas of roasted nut, oatmeal caramel malt, and a hint of coffee and chocolate. Has a great roasted nut and coffee flavor upfront followed by some caramel, cocoa, and oatmeal. Wonderful! No discernible hop presence here for my palate, but there is one other flavor that immediately hit the back of my tongue after the first step and lingered for a very long time after I had finished my last sip. I only described it as a burnt cigar taste. That burnt cigar taste of flavorful tobacco one gets on the back of their tongue after having been puffing on a cigar of their choice for awhile. One of the things I know this brewery is known for is using the wood from humidors to age their beers in, No other brewery that I know of is doing such a thing. That flavor is very distinct as any fellow cigar smokers here will also know, and I've never experienced that kind flavor in my life ever when drinking a beer until now. And no, I had not been smoking a cigar with this beer or been around anyone smoking a cigar when drinking this beer, or even done either of those 2 things anytime in the past 16 days mind you before drinking this beer. It didn't say on the label of my bottle that this beer specfically was aged in humidor wood or antyhing else of the sort, but I tell you that a very distinct cigar flavor is present in this beer I enjoyed. Has a crisp and smooth,medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Excellent drinkability. A most impressive beer here!

Eric

08-08-2012 04:05:02 | More by neenerzig
Stinkypuss

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%

Cigar City : Maduro Oatmeal Brown

Pours a rich brown color with a yellowish off white head and little lace. Aroma is malty, with suggestions of candied pecans. In the flavor, robust maltyness, nutty, and rich. For a brown ale, this packs in lots of flavor. Hops come accross oh so lightly, just a small wood note, and a distant earthyness. Brown sugar, roast, oats, and burnt caramel. Medium to full bodied feel. Overall, this is an exceptional brown ale, and quite possibly the best I've come accross.

08-24-2011 16:44:03 | More by Stinkypuss
rmolledo

4.65/5  rDev +18.3%

A: Very Dark and Hazy Reddish Brown with a small tan head and great lacing.

S: Sweet Dark Roasty and chocolaty grains. some hops.

T: Dark Tootsie Roll like Chocolate character along with dark fruits and sweet maduro-esque cigar qualities. subtle hop and oat flavors.

MF: The slick oatmeal goodness hits right away. Nice and creamy. moderate carbonation. Sweet finish.

D: A great brown ale. Not as wonderful as their Cubano Espresso Maduro Oatmeal Brown, but still great. So glad this is in bottles now.

09-19-2010 20:17:30 | More by rmolledo
mverity

4.65/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Goodness, after enjoying this beer for over a year, I'm finally reviewing it. Sipping from the can at the moment; however, I know this beer has a fantastic hazy brown color. It smells heavily of toffee and chocolate , with a good amount of caramel and coffee. The taste is mainly the toffee, closely followed by coffee and then the roasted malts. What really makes this beer for me is the mouthfeel. Superbly creamy. I can't recall if they actually employ oats in the brewing process, but it certainly feels like it. Maduro coats the tongue and mouth, and I love that about it. No homo.

Serving type: can

05-16-2013 20:54:22 | More by mverity
BeerImmediately

4.63/5  rDev +17.8%

On tap in the home bar.

Maybe it's just the kegerator, but every pour is a massive, billowing tan head that takes considerable time to lower to a film. Deep brown with orange on the edges; plenty of lacing.

Aromas of sweet toffee and walnuts - very dessert like for a brown ale.

Flavor is fantastic. Salted peanuts take center stage, with a supporting cast of molasses, fresh 12 grain bread, and smokey (cigar-like?) roasted maltiness.

Mouthfeel is pretty rich, with an overall smoothness that helps this be an incredibly drinkable and enjoyable Brown Ale.

11-21-2009 19:23:23 | More by BeerImmediately
shwhat

4.63/5  rDev +17.8%

served on tap at the lazy boy saloon.

not such a great pour, to be honest. hardly any head. beautiful brown color, crystal clear.

the smell is very nutty. can't really smell the hops. a little buttery.

the taste is pretty wonderful. huge chocolate presence, which was a little unexpected. very sweet chocolate. a hint of caramel. almonds....tastes like a hershey bar with nuts. a bit of a roasty character, but no bitterness at all.

mouthfeel is pretty smooth and silky. light carbonation. medium-full bodied.

had this with some buffalo wings. what a great combination. really helped to tone down the heat, and bring out more of the fried chicken flavor. this is a pretty awesome beer. re-affirms my love for brown ale.

04-18-2011 02:29:50 | More by shwhat
ccampo

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I've had this on bottle and on-tap, at the brewery and elsewhere.

A - Deep dark brown with a thick dark tan head. Hold it up to the light and it glows with a deep red. Beautiful.

S - Amazing. Strong roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, and surprisingly some hops. There is also a tiny bit of booze in there. This is one of the best aspects of this beer. It is fantastic.

T - Just like the smell and very smooth. The bitterness is perfect and the roasted flavor fills your entire mouth. Its like eating a thick piece of dark chocolate.

M - Thick and creamy. The oatmeal is at work here. This brew has a very full body. The chocolate milk of beers.

D - I could drink this all day, and it goes good with just about any food. As far as I'm concerned, this is the best session-able dark beer out there (that I have had so far).

Drink this beer. On tap, bottle, growler, whatever. Its worth it. This beer is amazing.

01-27-2011 00:04:14 | More by ccampo
WoodBrew

4.6/5  rDev +17%

It was our annual trip to Tampa...the night before THE BUCKEYE CRUISE AGAINST CANCER!!!! The better half and I walked a couple of blocks down from our hotel and found a wonderful sport to taste numerous different brews. The first beer I tried, thank to the suggestion of our server...Maduro Oatmeal Brown...WOW. I am not a brown fan....but this was quite nice!! The color was a rich cloudy brown. Teh nose inclued a sweet chocolate, malt and coffee. This of course fed into the taste of the beer which was rich malty chocolate and caramel, with coffee undertones. I could drink this....wait for it....give it to me Lionel...ALL NIGHT LONG!!!!

04-24-2011 01:27:35 | More by WoodBrew
charlzm

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Consumed March 29th, 2012.

Beer pours a dark, clear caramel brown. A VERY creamy two-finger head forms and subsides fairly rapidly, leaving a luxurious foamy crown of sticky foam. Beautiful beer.

Aroma has hints of tobacco (power of suggestion?), leather, roasted nuts.

Flavor is smooth and subtle. Roasted nuts, hints of tobacco and leather, then a big full wash of toffee/toast/biscuit type malt. Low bitterness on the finish. This is smoothest, best drinking brown ale I think I've ever had.

Mouthfeel is smooth and velvety and creamy (yay, oatmeal!). Just amazing.

Best. Brown. Ale. Ever.

06-05-2012 01:36:53 | More by charlzm
Swedgin_Wu

4.6/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first tangle with Cigar City, despite the fact it's given quite a name for itself especially in Florida.

12 oz can ( i guess they abandoned the bottle) into a Tulip Glass. Perhaps the best "canned" beer i've tried thus far

Appearance - Nice medium brown color, decent amount of head

Smell - Wonderful smell. Toffee, Caramel and some nut stand out. it's very inviting and matches the taste. I don't really sense an oatmeal presence despite the name

Taste- Much like the smell...A blend of toffee, nut and caramel. Maybe a little coffee. It's a very flavorful beer to the point you want to take just the right sized sip to savor the flavor. beautiful transition to the finish.

Mouthfeel - moderately carbonated but i tend to like beers with more than a little carbonation.

Overall - Excellent beer..perhaps a great dessert beer, but i can drink this on any occasion. It's not a session beer....but it's one of my favorite just to have as a standalone. Between this and the Rogue Hazelnut, i have been fully converted to loving Brown ales. the oatmeal aspect of it i did not really notice

Serving type: can

03-16-2013 09:14:44 | More by Swedgin_Wu
STEG

4.58/5  rDev +16.5%

Pours a dark deep brown/scarlett hue into a snifter.

A semi vigorous pour leaves a 1 inch light sand colored pillowy fine bubble head. Head has some good retention, not obnoxiously so that lets you get down to business after admiring it and smelling what it has to offer.

Smell is like a bowl of oats mixed with light brown sugar and chocolate covered raisins.

Taste starts out with sweet malt and oats then moves into a darker stage with tobacco and coffee notes with a lingering coffee bitterness. Not too shabby.

The mouthfeel has a nice thickness to it, it's also a bit silky but ever so slightly watery, and I'm nitpicking overall, well done and highly drinkable.

11-16-2010 01:06:41 | More by STEG
gonzo46and2

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours rich ruby brown with a soft creamy head that sticks all over the side of the glass.

Aroma is roasted malts, cedar wood, perhaps a bit of dark chocolate.

Taste is woodsy and malty. Very robust.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Very easy to drink.

Drinkability is fantastic.

03-19-2009 19:49:36 | More by gonzo46and2
WeisGuy

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%

Growler filled at the brewery 2 days ago -- also had a few pints at the brewery.

a - pours deep dark brown with a two-finger mocha head, good retention and lacing, fairly hazy

s - big roasty and nutty malt aroma mixed with floral, slightly citrusy hops

t - balanced up front with intense nutty and citrus flavors, midpalate has some caramel mixed in with the hop resins, finish is slightly dry but well balanced, some nuttiness and hop bitterness lingers on the palate, very light caramel, alcohol not noticeable at all

m - medium-bodied, even from the growler, on the higher side of carbonation, well balanced finish, not much alcohol warming

d - incredibly drinkable, well balanced, complex and interesting, easy on the palate, the whole package

The only ABA I've had that compares to this is Bender, which I think is very similar. Very well done, CCB!

Serving type: growler

06-11-2010 22:29:12 | More by WeisGuy
jsanford

Georgia

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a growler into my New Belgium globe.

A - Deep, dark brown with a creamy khaki tan head. Nice.

S - Rich roasted nuts, cocoa powder, vanilla.

T - Follows the nose nicely. Sweet roasted malts, nuts, cocoa.
Maybe a bit of smoke.

M - Smooth and creamy with a medium body. Medium carbonation, zero ABV.

D - Wow! I could drink this all day every day! One of the smoothest beers I've ever had, my growler went way too fast. Easily the best Brown Ale I've ever had, great job Cigar City!

Serving type: growler

06-23-2010 00:18:27 | More by jsanford
TKEbeerman

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured into my pint glass, this brown ale pours a dark brown with little redish orange highlights. The two inch head has no problem leaving some nice lacing.

S: The nose contains hints of nut, oatmeal, chocolate. Surprisingly this brew is dominate chocolate with nut highlights.

T: Finally, a brown ale that isn't watered down, is complex, and overall is rich and satisfying. Chocolate dominate, with hazel nut highlights backed up by toffee and some oatmeal.

MF: Mouthfeel is a little light, but is smooth and what to be expected of a brown.

D: Drink is excellent. This is the right beer at the right ABV.

Overall, I first tried this brew about a month ago at a brewfest. Maduro is tied with Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale as my absolute favorite brown. Seriously, this brew almost takes the cake.

09-30-2010 23:20:41 | More by TKEbeerman
unit555

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%

Enjoyed this stellar beer at a conference in Ft Myers and later in the week at a cigar bar in Key West. Rich brown color with a wonderful mouthfeel and a long finish. There was a nice undertone of smokiness in this ale that made it perfect with a cigar. The only bad thing I have to say is that I am disappointed to not be able to get it in Pittsburgh.

02-18-2011 02:15:22 | More by unit555
mynie

Indiana

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I always start my reviews of brown ales by mentioning how I don't like the style so much, but then I always seem to give the beer at least a 4.1. A quick glance at my review history backs this up; browns might be one of my most highly scored categories...

What did browns do to me? Is it because I expect them to be bland? Why?

This ain't bland. This is as far from boilerplate as you can get. It smells kind of a like a dulled out version of a good, dry RIS. You get the same vinous aroma, same surprisingly big dry hop bitterness. Only it's tame. There's no burn.

Tastes less intense than it smells, but more pleasantly rough. You got some nutty and chocolately nodes up front, moving into rough and lightly sour oatmeal and bitter barley middle, finishing on a lightly vinous taste of tobacco, caramel, and peat moss. Fantabulous.

10-13-2011 04:46:23 | More by mynie