Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-04-2009

Pours brown in color with notes of caramel, toffee, chocolate and hints of espresso. Flavor has caramel/toffee sweetness is upfront with intermingling notes of chocolate and espresso with a roasted peanut expression in the finish.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,827 | Reviews: 602
4.82/5  rDev +23%

My God I thought I was in a cigar shop, not picking this brew but picking which edition of this particular brew it is to review on this site! I'm sure that there are as many brews to pick as cigars in the Cigar City but best I can do is read the bottle and then guess. Anyways this is a raved Cigar City that I spotted, so lets give it a whirl. Popping the top I get a great waft of roasted malts and chocolate and.... No I'm done.... I have had it before and sipped it, now as I rate it, for a brown ale, who beats it?

4.82/5  rDev +23%

Picked up a sixer to have with some friends at the corner market.

A- Pours a ruddy dark brown with some cloudy garnet edges. Gives off a nice large bubbled 1.5" tan head that swells, then ebbs to a thin tan cap with a couple of large bubbles popping here and there. I really noticed the slight cloudy appearance to the parts that are not totally void of color.

S- There's a rich slight sweetness in the front that is quickly replaced with some light woody, coffee bitter notes. That slight sweetness weaves throughout, like candied raisins (do those even exist) or something. Bottom line, it smells delicious.

T- Smooth creamy milk chocolate notes have a slight edge over some of the bitter coffee notes, but the balance is really noticeable between the two. there are some sweet raisiny hints in there too Once again, delicious.

M- Like the flavors, smooth & creamy. There is almost a silkiness to it. The carbonation is present, appreciated, and not distracting at all. This is listed in BA as an Oatmeal brown, but I do not see anything on the packaging stating as such, but it does have the creamy mouthfeel of oatmeal for sure.

D- I really think that this is the best brown ale I have had to date. Looks great, smells great, taste & feels delicious. I could easily drink several of these (I haven't yet). I feel that this style is a classic style, but I never get really "wowed" by any. This one does.

4.8/5  rDev +22.4%

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this beer many times always delicious. Pours dark like a stout and smells chocolatey. Lots of chocolate flavors along with vanilla, oatmeal, and toffee. Probably my favorite brown ale to date. Seriously like this beer.

4.74/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The fact I can see it as an excuse for the next few weeks of a sudden it was the best of the day before I get a follow back on my way home from work to be the first half of the year and I don't think that I have to go back and I don't

4.73/5  rDev +20.7%

Coaxed out of a 12oz bottle into a glass. Dark mud brown cant see through it. Nice head that slowly sinks down. Carbonation does hang around though. COFFEE hit right away with chocalte in the background. This is a deep complex beer no doubt. Very filling you'll be dammed to finish the whole six pack. I.m not sure what to pair it with cause it stands out so much on its own but i guess a t-bone would go well with it.

4.72/5  rDev +20.4%

Out of a can into a plastic cup at a booth in Epcot. Virtually no head, but a nice dark brown color. Very nice taste and smell.

4.72/5  rDev +20.4%

A very nice interpretation of a traditional American Brown Ale. The Oatmeal flavor add sa bit of chewiness to it and gives the beer a nice stick to the ribs type taste. I found it a plesant beer to sip on a cool fall evening. It is filling but not in a bloating type way. An enjoyable experience.

4.72/5  rDev +20.4%

16 oz pint at Redlight Redlight here in Orlando.

Pours a very nice golden brown color. It almost looks like maple syrup. A good 2 finger tan head tops the beer, not much in the way of lacing however.

Smell is Chocolate, slight oat smoothness, and that quite inviting maple syrup that was hinted at by the color. There is a very mild hop aroma as well.

Taste is maple syrup, oats, loads of chocolate, and just a hint of brown sugar. A mild hop flavor rounds this one out quite nicely.

Overall, the beer goes down like how I would expect a brown ale should. Not too strong, not anything to scoff at either. At 5.5% Abv (from what I understand) this is definitely one of my new favorites. Not only that, but it's local, which makes it even better!

4.7/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An extra in a trade with Maddogg. I was pretty excited about the other extras he tossed in, and just kinda shoved this one in the fridge, thinking "hey, I need a beer, this will be a new one, cool"

Into a tulip, slightly chilled. Pours a beautiful brown, muddy and opaque. Wafting tobacco, coffee, roasty yummy good without the bittering char of most roast. A slight white head covers the edges of the glass, clinging on for dear life. Taste is outstanding. I cannot say I have ever like an American Brown Ale(on of the least sexy of all styles) so damned much.

Damn, I'm glad he sent me two of them, this is just great.

Cigar City, you are in the winners seat.

4.67/5  rDev +19.1%

Picked up a single 12 oz bottle of this yesterday at a Publix in Sarasota, FL, as I am currently on vacaton there with my wife and family. So glad I am finally getting to try soemthing from this brewery! I can't get their stuff up in Cleveland, OH where I live, but I have heard nothing but very good things about this brewery and their beer. Poured into a pint glass, this beer pours a clear, medium brown color with a copper/amber glow/hue when held up to the light, along with lots of little bubbles hurrying up to the surface of the beer. The slightly tan/off white head is about an inch thick when first poured, eventually settling to a very nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass, along with bits of spotty surface foam here and there on the surface of the beer. The lacing leaves soemthing to be desired though. Aromas of roasted nut, oatmeal caramel malt, and a hint of coffee and chocolate. Has a great roasted nut and coffee flavor upfront followed by some caramel, cocoa, and oatmeal. Wonderful! No discernible hop presence here for my palate, but there is one other flavor that immediately hit the back of my tongue after the first step and lingered for a very long time after I had finished my last sip. I only described it as a burnt cigar taste. That burnt cigar taste of flavorful tobacco one gets on the back of their tongue after having been puffing on a cigar of their choice for awhile. One of the things I know this brewery is known for is using the wood from humidors to age their beers in, No other brewery that I know of is doing such a thing. That flavor is very distinct as any fellow cigar smokers here will also know, and I've never experienced that kind flavor in my life ever when drinking a beer until now. And no, I had not been smoking a cigar with this beer or been around anyone smoking a cigar when drinking this beer, or even done either of those 2 things anytime in the past 16 days mind you before drinking this beer. It didn't say on the label of my bottle that this beer specfically was aged in humidor wood or antyhing else of the sort, but I tell you that a very distinct cigar flavor is present in this beer I enjoyed. Has a crisp and smooth,medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Excellent drinkability. A most impressive beer here!

Eric

4.66/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Goodness, after enjoying this beer for over a year, I'm finally reviewing it. Sipping from the can at the moment; however, I know this beer has a fantastic hazy brown color. It smells heavily of toffee and chocolate , with a good amount of caramel and coffee. The taste is mainly the toffee, closely followed by coffee and then the roasted malts. What really makes this beer for me is the mouthfeel. Superbly creamy. I can't recall if they actually employ oats in the brewing process, but it certainly feels like it. Maduro coats the tongue and mouth, and I love that about it. No homo.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale from Cigar City Brewing