1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Maduro Oatmeal Brown AleMaduro Oatmeal Brown Ale

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Pours brown in color with notes of caramel, toffee, chocolate and hints of espresso. Flavor has caramel/toffee sweetness is upfront with intermingling notes of chocolate and espresso with a roasted peanut expression in the finish.

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-04-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,561 | Reviews: 583 | Show All Ratings:
harrymel

1.05/5  rDev -73.3%

Bottled: unk - fail

A: Pours a dark and hazy brown ale with some ruby hues when light penetrates the ruddiness. Single finger of light latte head falls to a broken quilt of the same. Should have more clarity for the style.

S: Smells tart with infection. Sour, nearly brett like. Can't really get anything past this issue.

T: Yep, infected. Jesus, bitter and baking soda like in flavor.

M: Dry like the deserts of Africa.

O: horrible. Two sips, then drain.

05-27-2011 16:50:13 | More by harrymel
NittanyBeerFan

1.3/5  rDev -66.9%

Thanks to victory4me for hooking me up with a 6er of this beer. Got to the first 4 bottles quickly and had the other two in the cellar for a couple of months. Opened one up tonight...

Poured into a pint glass, the color is a deep brown with a red hue that lights up the whole body of the beer in the presence of light. The head is creamy and fine, bubbling up to about a half finger in height and then disappearing almost immediately.

I hold the glass up to my nose as the beer passes 45 degrees. Infected. No doubt about it. There are the typical Maduro Brown notes that I remember from my past experiences with the beer. Brown sugar, a light toasty flavor, and some cocoa. However, there are also definite aromas of sour cherries and a hint of funk, as the infection moves in. As it warms, it turns into a putrid ass-sweaty mess that makes me wanna puke. This is some nasty ass bacteria. I feel like a skunk shit it my beer, died, started rotting in there, and then got bottled along with a brown ale. The taste is similar. The brown ale sweetness and toasted malt notes are overwhelmed by some sour cherries and that same vomit-inducing, stomach churning slop. Undrinkable.

While I could stomach the flavors, the mouthfeel was alright. Thin (as an infection would make it) and somehow flat, I was unimpressed. This ended up getting drain poured. Just absolutely awful. I am really disappointed that I won't be able to drink the last one, since it was really pretty nice when it was fresher.

02-19-2011 02:39:11 | More by NittanyBeerFan
schwaeh

1.7/5  rDev -56.7%

12 oz bottle from injuredreserve

A: Pours a dark murky ruby-brown color. Minimal head dissapates into a thin ring. Lively carbonation.

S: Not what Ive come to expect. This smells sour and vinegary. Red flags are flying up. Aside from the sour I get some sweet malts.

T: Again very off. I can sense the usual brown ale qualities, light sweetness, nutiness, some CC cuban inspired spice. Now for the bad, this had a flanders taste to it that made this undrinkable.. It seemed as if someone was eating cherries and got vomited in this bottle of beer.

M: Medium body with some sprite-like carbonation.

O: Ive had this before and loved it. I was excited to open this one until I smelled it and new some nastiness was in store. Clearly a case of infection here. I wish there was a bottle date or batch code so I could point out these issues and maybe warn someone.

Drain poured.

07-10-2011 03:08:44 | More by schwaeh
Cavery

2.2/5  rDev -44%

12oz had with Klym, poured into a generic Tulip.

A: Creamy brown coffee head with some characters of sea foam. Dusty brown/red body with some micro bubble cling. Not much in terms of lacing, but a decent layer of film stays above the beer.

S: My first reaction "Is this a sour? I totally get brett...". My brother smelled it and said "This has to be a sour". Sure enough we had to admit that there was definitely a brett character in the nose. It's not quite vinegary to me, more or less a nutty sourdough bread. It's pretty strong in the smell, pretty disappointing considering this isn't intended.

T: Roasty watery hazelnuts with a bit of background melon rind. The watery nuttiness is really disappointing. It's such a bummer to be getting such nice nutty notes that are ruined by an unintended flavor character. The wateriness and flat melon rind flavors really dominate. A bit of wood shop sawdust rounds out the aftertaste.

M: Foamy soft in the mouth before a gush of flat water spreads to every crevice in the mouth. This would honestly be even too watery for most sours. It didn't quite gain that vinegary fizz carbonation that would have been expected, but the body is most certainly paper thin for the style.

O: So disappointed that my one bottle of maduro is compromised. I want to revisit this but it's hard to want to seek out something after being burned once. Living in California and seeking out something in Florida isn't that easy, and it's always disappointing when there's a compromised bottle. I will seek this out again, but it will likely have to be when I've forgotten about this incident.

07-22-2011 05:06:59 | More by Cavery
readbaron

2.25/5  rDev -42.7%

Hmmm. I'm not sure how to review this one - I'm pretty sure I've got an infected bottle, this reminds me of a less pugilistic sea bass.

Pours a ruddy clear brown, somewhat thin, with decent mocha head.

Smells of malt and a faint cherry tartness.

Taste is similar - Not horribly unpleasant actually - but certainly not like any brown ale I've had - thin and tart with a bit of malt.

Mouthfeel - prickley, somewhat over carbonated and a bit thin.

I hope the next bottle of this turns out better.

03-22-2011 04:49:07 | More by readbaron
heygeebee

Australia

2.3/5  rDev -41.5%

From Warners

Hmmm, difficult to write a review of the worst gusher I have ever had, first time ever I have seen all head and no beer.

All in all a hybrid US/UK brown ale style, big and toffee driven, but when you can't actually get at the beer you are a supposed to be drinking and it takes a dozen pours to get the bottle into the glass, it's all irrelevant, isn't it?

Fail.

05-09-2013 08:44:57 | More by heygeebee
barleywinefiend

2.45/5  rDev -37.7%

A: Poured brown with good carbonation leaving a nice off white/beige cap, with a 1/4 head leaving some bubbles and light lacing

S: A little on the mute side. Your typical toffee, caramel but that's about all folks.

T: Immediate toffee and light caramel sweetness with an odd and flat taste that starts after immediate taste and then finishes sordove blah..not much flavor, sordove muddy. There was an odd issue with this beer. See Mouthfeel. The finish was dry, light bitterness.

M: Sordove thin, perhaps a tad bit overbarbonated and this beer was leaving a gassy, bubbly type feel on the palate, like the beer was young or had some fermentation issues.

O: I did not finish this beer, five sips and I was done. Pass.

10-16-2012 15:38:52 | More by barleywinefiend
B33R501

2.5/5  rDev -36.4%

ive tasted and never been impressed with brown ales before but i wanted to try one anyways and 1/2 price growlers at whole foods plymouth meeting pa this past friday finally got me to.
that being said, im glad i spent $3 not $6 for this 32 oz growler.

pretty brown beer, nice head. smells ok, nutty. taste follows, malty, nutty. but with a weird, smoky, ashtray like finish, i can see this beer pairing well with a cigar, however im an ex smoker and absolutely cannot tolerate tobacco anymore. the oatmeal makes the mouthfeel terrific, the best part of this beer. but this was not very drinkable for me, took forever to finish this growler.

not recommended.

03-19-2012 15:32:15 | More by B33R501
trxxpaxxs

2.55/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Got this bottle as an extra.

A: Held to the light this beer is a super dark brown. Very little light makes its way through. Otherwise, it looks black. There is almost no head to this beer, and almost no lacing as it drinks.

S: I'm not really picking up much from this beer. I get a little bit of malt, and that's about it. There is a strange sourness going on in this beer though. It smells like it might have spoiled. It's not an overwhelming sour, but it's definitely noticeable.

T: Starts off sweet and roasty, but it immediately shifts to that sourness I picked up in the nose. The sours linger for quite a bit. Something is a bit off with this bottle. There is no way an American Brown Ale is supposed to taste like this.

M: Lingering tart.

O: I don't know if this is an old bottle, or if something happened to it on it's journey to my palate, but it's definitely not how this beer was intended to taste.

10-11-2011 23:09:43 | More by trxxpaxxs
mwilbur

2.6/5  rDev -33.8%

From tasting notes from 1/24/11 (picked it up on vacation in Tampa). Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.
A: Pours a medium brown with faint tan head. As expected for style.
S: Roasted and caramel malt, hint of smoke (and tobacco?). The smoke is more like cigarette smoke than wood smoke.
T: Sharp woody malt, bitter smoke. Not too good here.
M: Bland with bitterness. Bleh.
D: I enjoy this style and this is not good. I have been both wowed and disappointed by CCB...I am disappointed again. To be honest, couldn't even finish the 12 oz. You need a good cigar with this one...to overpower it and make it palatable.

01-30-2011 04:22:20 | More by mwilbur
Arithmeticus

Maryland

2.6/5  rDev -33.8%

Poured chilled in straight-edged ale glass

A: dark cola colored; very well carbonated; medium-sized head, mixed sizes of bubbles
S: brown-ale aroma; bit of root beer aroma
T: sweet; low on hops; tinny flavor; oatmeal is not really all that present
M: a bit thin-bodied

A bit disappointing for a brown ale

Serving type: can

01-04-2013 04:36:53 | More by Arithmeticus
RoamingGnome

Wisconsin

2.63/5  rDev -33.1%

Thanks to N. Ketchum for helping track this one down.

Tasting notes from 9/20/11

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a chalice
Freshness date is May 25th. The year is not detectable. I was hoping 2011.

A) A very nice deep brown, with a finger of tan head. Decent retention and patchy lacing. Looks good...

S) Okay, something is off here. I expected a pleasant sweetness, some nutty aroma, a bit of toffee or coffee. I pick up a little malt, but honestly, this smells rotten. It smells like something dead.

T) Only slightly better than the nose, and unfortunately the drinking vessel I have chosen is keeping my nose right up in there. I can detect some malt and weak coffee, very slight sweetness, but mostly just something decaying.

M) Setting aside the above issues... The mouth feel is actually good. This is lightly carbonated. It has a medium body and feels somewhat creamy.

O) We don't get Cigar City in Wisconsin, so I was pretty excited about this six pack. It turns out this was not worth the effort or the extra money involved. I tried a second bottle and the results were the same. I was still skeptical, so I had a few other people sample this before I completed the review. The results were the same. I am admittedly disappointed, but I am chalking this up to the beer going bad, and bad beer karma on my part. I'm not sure what I did to have caused this bad beer karma, but I will proceed with caution. In any case, I love brown ales, and would like to try this again. I'm guessing it would be better, and I would gladly add an addendum to this review.

09-27-2011 00:03:46 | More by RoamingGnome
DARIVA

Netherlands

2.65/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Beer tasteless, almost dead.
Looks pretty visually from the rest but there is little positive to say about it. Would almost think that this beer is the best before date had passed.
Dusty taste, a bit in the trend of cardboard.
Had really expected more, but maybe later a try to find out if there really was nothing wrong with this beer.

03-11-2012 17:15:01 | More by DARIVA
billab914

2.78/5  rDev -29.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Terrapin shaped glass. It poured a darker brown color with a bubbly head filling the top two inches of the glass. The head settled to a thin layer, and left a bit of lacing as it did.

The aroma has a fruity, cherry, raisin like flavor coming through with a little bit of a tart, acidic undertone to it. behind that I get some toffee and caramel flavors to it as well as some roasty, coffee like flavors coming through. Seems like there could be the beginning of an infection going on, but I'm not sure.

The taste shows a pretty good amount of roasty, coffee like flavors to it. Like the nose though, I also get some of that cherry, fruity, tart, acidic flavor throughout the beer. Behind that, I get some hints of toffee and caramel sweetness. Flavorful beer overall, but I have to assume the tart, acidic, fruity flavors aren't intended. Luckily the roasty, coffee flavors seem to overpower the off flavors in it.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side for the style, and carbonation is moderate. Overall it was decent despite of the fruity, tart, acidic flavors that are developing. They actually gave it some interesting flavors that complimented the malt at times. Not a bad beer overall, but one I'd like to revisit to see if there really is something going on with this one.

03-19-2011 22:50:20 | More by billab914
DaveHS

2.88/5  rDev -26.7%

A-Opens with a hiss and a burst of gunsmoke, before it rises and spills all over the table. Pours chocolate brown with 4 inches of frothy tan head. Reduces slowly, leaving spotty lacing.

S-Chocolate milk mix, rich, earthy cigar tobacco, nutty malts.

T/M-Dissapointingly weak and thin. Very little flavor. For how much head this had, there is practically no carbonation. Drainpour.

D-I have a feeling this is a bad bottle, judging by the other reviews here.

12-23-2010 23:16:18 | More by DaveHS
mfavoino

2.98/5  rDev -24.2%

First time trying a Cigar City beer. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Super rich brown color that is nearly black. Thin off head head that recedes to almost nothing.

Smell: Weak roasted malt flavors and maybe coffee. Smells watery.

Taste: Nice roasted malts as it hit my palate, but a strong tobacco flavor overcame everything. Couldn't help but notice the tobacco and it really turned me off. Not my cup of tea.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation with a dry finish.

Overall: The tobacco flavor was too pronounced and noticeable for me to pick out and enjoy any of the other flavors.

02-25-2012 18:00:01 | More by mfavoino
brewerang

3.08/5  rDev -21.6%

The tan head disappears very quickly after the pour with minimal lacing. Color is a deep reddish-brown. The flavor is dominated by chocolate and caramel malts. The carbonation was too high for my liking, especially for this style of beer. I wanted to smoothly savor the roastyness of this beer, but the carbonation level interfered with this. Not a bad brew, but not a great one either.

09-03-2012 12:21:16 | More by brewerang
Aiptasia

3.13/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Served at about 55 degrees f.

A: Pours quickly and easily without much of a head. What head there is, is simply a fizzle of sea foam.

S: Smells of wet earth and dirty tobacco. Don't detect any special fruityness or hops on the nose.

T: Meh. Underwhelmed. The flavor is like wet leather crossed with tobacco. The middle is wet horseblanket with very little hops presence. Definite nuttyness hits the back.

M: Softly carbonated, starts and finishes wet on the tongue. Not crisp, more of a coating beer that would do better paired with a meal than consumed solo.

O: It's a funky example of a brown. I could picture drinking this while chewing on a cohiba cigar. I caught no banana esters or diacetyl apple on my bottles. No signs of infection.

12-10-2011 01:51:52 | More by Aiptasia
BucBasil

South Carolina

3.13/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured on tap at the Cigar City tasting room in Tampa.

A: Brown with a good amount of light coming in on the edges. Topped with a light tan head.

S: Smell was very faint, bet there are are some roasty notes in there.

T: Pretty nondescript. Very drinkable and smooth but nothing very special to be found tastewise. Just a very solid beer. Some roast in the back. Dark bread.

Overall a good solid beer, but could have used a bit more in the taste dept.

01-03-2012 00:26:47 | More by BucBasil
mrnobody

Ontario (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev -19.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a reddish brown with two and a half fingers of thick khaki head; decent retention and some sticky lacing.

S: The smell is not overly strong: a bit of chocolate and something a little off I can't put my finger on, a faint sourness.

T: This is fairly malty as I'd expect but with a dry, tobacco-like finish, suitable of the name.

M: Medium body and fairly creamy with moderate carbonation.

D: I guess it's good for the style but not my favourite.

03-18-2011 02:41:01 | More by mrnobody
tekn0ph1sh

3.15/5  rDev -19.8%

12oz bottle poured into a crystal pilsner glass.

A Deep Reddish Brown. 1/2 inch light tan head. Quickly dissipates. Nice lacing. Bubbling in the center of glass.

S Hops. Spicy. Slightly Salty. Smoky, Earthy and slightly sour.

T/M Spicy. Hoppy finish. Has a thin mouth feel that sparkles on the tongue. Its not overly bitter or sweet. It has a pretty smooth forward taste with a slightly bitter finish.

Overall: Its ok. Its not something I would go out of my way to buy again but overall its a decent brown ale. It might be hype because I have had 4 people tell me that I have to try this brewer and its amazingly good. So maybe my expectations were a bit high.

04-14-2011 22:05:32 | More by tekn0ph1sh
DrinkinBoy

Georgia

3.15/5  rDev -19.8%

Cigar City Maduro pours a medium brown with some lighter orange brown edges. The head is light tan color, with average retention and some lacing.

Its nose has mostly sweet caramel notes, with a faint roasty background.

The taste starts off with the sweet flavors of caramel, which turns into lighter fruity hop notes on the mid palate. The finish is slightly odd, but gives a more roasty and coffee character.

Its mouthfeel is medium, and lacks a lot of carbonation.

Overall, this beer is very sessionable. However this comes at a price, it seems to lack any real malty pop. This would not be my first suggestion from Cigar City's line of beers.

11-11-2011 05:24:46 | More by DrinkinBoy
Chriscrundwell12

3.15/5  rDev -19.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a 3 floyds pint glass, sharred with a fellow BA.

A- Pours a ½ finger off white head that dissipates to nothing, some bubbles on the side of the glass, no apparent lacing, not the most attractive beer.
S- The smell is very mellow, oats come out, dark malts, smells a bit watered down.
T- Interesting tasting beer, big oat characteristics come out, dark malts, bready notes, sweet bitterness?
M- Medium/light mouth feel, decent carbonation, clean finish.
O- Easy drinkability, not a lot going on, glad to try it once, would not go out of my way to buy it.

01-12-2012 02:49:48 | More by Chriscrundwell12
billshmeinke

3.18/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured into a cigar city pint.

Brown body with no head except for a ring of foam around the edge of the glass. Uh-oh.

Smells of oats and nut like brown malt. A touch of cocoa nibs as well.

Tastes of smokey brown oats, some nuttiness, and a touch of cocoa nibs. Maybe even a little coffee. In a weird way it actually does remind me of a maduro cigar. A nice smokiness lingers.

The carbonation is really low. Body is ok, needs some carbonation to hold it up.

So yeah, this bottle did have some carbonation issues. Not to say it didn't have carbonation... it just needed more. The looks and mouthfeel definitely suffered. Howeer, the rest was quite enjoyable. I'd love to see an imperial version of this, because I think it might go nicely with a cigar.

10-17-2010 21:55:18 | More by billshmeinke
angelogarcia3

3.18/5  rDev -19.1%

Pouring this beer causes a small head to form with a white color. Very slight aroma of tobacco and beer. Dark brown murky color. A light drinking beer with a tingly effervescene in the mouth. The beer's flavor is not bitter but tastes like toasted whole wheat bread. The toasty taste is evident hours after drinking.

02-20-2011 02:59:38 | More by angelogarcia3