Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Maduro Oatmeal Brown AleMaduro Oatmeal Brown Ale

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Pours brown in color with notes of caramel, toffee, chocolate and hints of espresso. Flavor has caramel/toffee sweetness is upfront with intermingling notes of chocolate and espresso with a roasted peanut expression in the finish.

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-04-2009)
2.6/5  rDev -33.7%

Poured chilled in straight-edged ale glass

A: dark cola colored; very well carbonated; medium-sized head, mixed sizes of bubbles
S: brown-ale aroma; bit of root beer aroma
T: sweet; low on hops; tinny flavor; oatmeal is not really all that present
M: a bit thin-bodied

A bit disappointing for a brown ale

Arithmeticus, Jan 04, 2013
2.63/5  rDev -32.9%

Thanks to N. Ketchum for helping track this one down.

Tasting notes from 9/20/11

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a chalice
Freshness date is May 25th. The year is not detectable. I was hoping 2011.

A) A very nice deep brown, with a finger of tan head. Decent retention and patchy lacing. Looks good...

S) Okay, something is off here. I expected a pleasant sweetness, some nutty aroma, a bit of toffee or coffee. I pick up a little malt, but honestly, this smells rotten. It smells like something dead.

T) Only slightly better than the nose, and unfortunately the drinking vessel I have chosen is keeping my nose right up in there. I can detect some malt and weak coffee, very slight sweetness, but mostly just something decaying.

M) Setting aside the above issues... The mouth feel is actually good. This is lightly carbonated. It has a medium body and feels somewhat creamy.

O) We don't get Cigar City in Wisconsin, so I was pretty excited about this six pack. It turns out this was not worth the effort or the extra money involved. I tried a second bottle and the results were the same. I was still skeptical, so I had a few other people sample this before I completed the review. The results were the same. I am admittedly disappointed, but I am chalking this up to the beer going bad, and bad beer karma on my part. I'm not sure what I did to have caused this bad beer karma, but I will proceed with caution. In any case, I love brown ales, and would like to try this again. I'm guessing it would be better, and I would gladly add an addendum to this review.

RoamingGnome, Sep 27, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -32.4%

Beer tasteless, almost dead.
Looks pretty visually from the rest but there is little positive to say about it. Would almost think that this beer is the best before date had passed.
Dusty taste, a bit in the trend of cardboard.
Had really expected more, but maybe later a try to find out if there really was nothing wrong with this beer.

DARIVA, Mar 11, 2012

Bonsai, Aug 09, 2013

Zbeetleman, Jul 07, 2013

HopsintheSack, Oct 23, 2013

Satsuma, Jun 09, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Terrapin shaped glass. It poured a darker brown color with a bubbly head filling the top two inches of the glass. The head settled to a thin layer, and left a bit of lacing as it did.

The aroma has a fruity, cherry, raisin like flavor coming through with a little bit of a tart, acidic undertone to it. behind that I get some toffee and caramel flavors to it as well as some roasty, coffee like flavors coming through. Seems like there could be the beginning of an infection going on, but I'm not sure.

The taste shows a pretty good amount of roasty, coffee like flavors to it. Like the nose though, I also get some of that cherry, fruity, tart, acidic flavor throughout the beer. Behind that, I get some hints of toffee and caramel sweetness. Flavorful beer overall, but I have to assume the tart, acidic, fruity flavors aren't intended. Luckily the roasty, coffee flavors seem to overpower the off flavors in it.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side for the style, and carbonation is moderate. Overall it was decent despite of the fruity, tart, acidic flavors that are developing. They actually gave it some interesting flavors that complimented the malt at times. Not a bad beer overall, but one I'd like to revisit to see if there really is something going on with this one.

billab914, Mar 19, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -26.5%

A-Opens with a hiss and a burst of gunsmoke, before it rises and spills all over the table. Pours chocolate brown with 4 inches of frothy tan head. Reduces slowly, leaving spotty lacing.

S-Chocolate milk mix, rich, earthy cigar tobacco, nutty malts.

T/M-Dissapointingly weak and thin. Very little flavor. For how much head this had, there is practically no carbonation. Drainpour.

D-I have a feeling this is a bad bottle, judging by the other reviews here.

DaveHS, Dec 23, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -24%

First time trying a Cigar City beer. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Super rich brown color that is nearly black. Thin off head head that recedes to almost nothing.

Smell: Weak roasted malt flavors and maybe coffee. Smells watery.

Taste: Nice roasted malts as it hit my palate, but a strong tobacco flavor overcame everything. Couldn't help but notice the tobacco and it really turned me off. Not my cup of tea.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation with a dry finish.

Overall: The tobacco flavor was too pronounced and noticeable for me to pick out and enjoy any of the other flavors.

mfavoino, Feb 25, 2012