1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Maduro Oatmeal Brown AleMaduro Oatmeal Brown Ale

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Pours brown in color with notes of caramel, toffee, chocolate and hints of espresso. Flavor has caramel/toffee sweetness is upfront with intermingling notes of chocolate and espresso with a roasted peanut expression in the finish.

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-04-2009)

slimntubbs, Jan 30, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +15.6%

I'm in FLorida on business and I've been terribly sad about the beer offerings. Turns out that I was looking in the wrong place. The lobby bar in my hotel has 7 or 8 Florida brews on hand.

I'm a malt guy so I picked the brown ale - this one.

I poured it slowly - so it had about a finger of nice, firm, long lasting head - slightly cream colored. The smell is warm, malty and sweet - and matches the flavor nicely.

The oats really do their work in this beer - spectacular mouth feel. The sweet malty oilyness sticks with you.

I'm really impressed. It's lightly hopped - just enough to balance, but this is a very malt-forward beer.

I'm a newcomer to Florida craft brewing - but if this is how they do it down here I'm a fan.

brycelarson, Jan 30, 2012

hockenbeer, Jan 30, 2012

ales4baldo, Jan 29, 2012
3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

We don't get Cigar City in New Jersey, but when I visited Florida I picked up a few of their offerings. They have a great reputation for being the best brewer in Florida. I was so excited to try this beer, that I shipped it back to New Jersey.

I like the way this brown looks. It is brown with a little bit of redness to it. You get a couple fingers of foam on top.

It smells good. I smell malt and tobacco in the aroma. It makes for a pretty good smelling brown.

This is a very drinkable brown. The malt flavor is very good. I could drink this all day.

I recommend picking up this brown. It is a very good get.

ummswimmin, Jan 28, 2012
3.23/5  rDev -17.6%

A- something off right away. Tons of foam. Overflows the bottle before I even have time to pour. Pours a deep chocolate brown

S- smells sweet and light. Typical nutmeg and brown ale odors

T - nutty with hints of malt

M- a little bit malty. Just a bit of coarseness on the finish

O- just an average brown ale in my opinion, nothing special here.

Jammies, Jan 28, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

wo87810, Jan 27, 2012

jsurfs82, Jan 26, 2012

ninner00, Jan 26, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

dandmc24, Jan 26, 2012
3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

A - Appears to be a bit of sediment in the bottle so it must be over 3 months old. Color is a hazy dark brown and a half inch of opaque colored head. Sticky lacing.

S - Smells of slightly nutty, mostly brown malts, and some hops

T - Taste pretty good for a brown ale. Mostly brown malts and hops with a touch of nutty almost flavor and the finish is kind of bitter even for it being old.

M - Light to medium easy to drink.

Overall I am kind of stunned this has such great reviews. I have never been a huge fan of brown ales so maybe it is that good but it seems very similar to Voodoo's brown ale with a low ABV.

DrDemento456, Jan 26, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +11.7%

Deep brown color with a finger of tight tan head.

Smells like chocolate malt, sour note, rich malt and candy.

Sublime taste of cream, nutty, hint of bitter, milky, ends sweet. Balanced flavors, exactly where they should be.

Smooth texture, medium body, low carbonation, super smooth.

Wow. A real treat to drink. Only great things about this beer.

Fatehunter, Jan 26, 2012

Man this thing just screams quality and craftsmanship. How very nice. You know how flavors can overlap such that you can't tell if it's one thing or another and your brain kind of flips back and forth between them? For me that happened in this one with roasty vs. dry woodyness. They hit the exact midpoint between these two and it's such a pleasing balance. I really wasn't expecting dryness, so it was really surprising and really well done. Quality. This one goes on my list of special ones.

EDIT: The review above was after having it on tap. I've just had one from the bottle and here are some additional thoughts.

S - Am I going crazy or does this smell like dry turmeric and peppery green Tabasco? That's really strange yet not unwelcome. After sitting for a while that transmutes into more of a bitter chocolate smell, but those original smells still play in the background.

T- Those odd smells from the nose lead to something on the palate that is related yet sheds the specific flavors. It's more of a dryness that unites them, but it takes more of the form of bitter chocolate on the palate. I'd go 4.25 here if I could.

O - I'd go 4.25 here if I could. It's better than 4s across the board.

Still very very good but slightly better on tap.

BrownNut, Jan 24, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Pours a great murky and deep dark brown with a solid finger of fizzy and slightly fluffy head that stuck a little but fell to a ring. Something about the way this looks is amazing. The color or murkiness.

S: Tobacco and oak with hints of leather and spice, maybe nutmeg.

T: Dark and smooth. Very earthy with more tobacco, wood, a bit of sweetness like molasses or rootbeer barrel hard candy. Malty malty malty. After letting it warm raw almond is pronounced throughout. The end is just the right amount of dry bitterness.

M: Medium in every way with a sort of smooth velvety nature.

O: Really a nice beer and worth a try. Its very smooth and dark with the malts never getting heavy or too roasty. Something initially held me back from giving it a higher rating. I think it was the exceptional smoothness. It doesnt go over the top anywhere and thats what a brown ale should be, IMO.

legalpete19340, Jan 24, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

Coaxed out of a 12oz bottle into a glass. Dark mud brown cant see through it. Nice head that slowly sinks down. Carbonation does hang around though. COFFEE hit right away with chocalte in the background. This is a deep complex beer no doubt. Very filling you'll be dammed to finish the whole six pack. I.m not sure what to pair it with cause it stands out so much on its own but i guess a t-bone would go well with it.

dBmV, Jan 23, 2012

funnynoises, Jan 23, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Thanks to VDubb86 for the unexpected hookup here!

Takin' this one down without a nice maduro cigar... It pours a deep ruby-brown topped by a finger at best of sandy ecru foam. The nose comprises coffee, roasted malts, toasted bread (can't pick out what kind of bread, though), and a touch of light char. The taste holds notes of roasted malts, light maple syrup, toasted caramel, toasted oats, brown sugar, and light coffee. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a vaguely smooth feel. Overall, a very nice, robust brown, something I wish I had access to at all times 'round here. Good times.

TMoney2591, Jan 23, 2012