Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009)
Reviews by DMarlinJ:
3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

This is my last of a 4-pack I bought while in Florida in April this year.
So I'm coming back to it after my first impressions and after reading some threads on BA's forum about ugliest beers and Jai Alai was mentioned because of chunks and floaties.

Well, this one poured Hazy amber with suspended particles, lots of them. It has a fluffy light tan head with excellent retention and lacing. I don't remember the particles from the other pours. Not very appealing to me other wise it looks great. i would rate higher without the floaters

Grapefruit and spicy cedar dominate the nose. Cigar like too. This really smells great and different for a standout. Lasting smell and changing as it warms. More citrus, some overripe banana.

Taste is all grapefruit and cedar. Not balanced for me, too bitter like chewing on the peel of grapefruit. Don't like the lingering after taste.

I wish the taste went with the mouthfeel. It's smooth and creamy but dry at the end. A bit too dry and astringent by the bottom of the glass. i want something else to clean my palette.

Overall this is not one I would prefer but it has merit. I'll give them credit for a good try.
I would like to try the regular Jai Alai, since others are saying they like it better.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

My first Cigar City beer....about damn time.Poured into an imperial nonic a slightly hazed brilliant burnt orange with a well defined frothy white head,old school ipa looks here.Toasty cedar wood and herbal hops in the nose,not alot of sweetness detected.Toasty and smooth on the palate with leafy,herbal hops in the finish.This a smooth mix of light toasted wood and herbal,and lightly citric hops,I really like the dryness on the palate as well.This a nice beer,it wont blow you away with its hop profile but the smoothness and drinkibility is its strong suit.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I forgot who sent this to me as an extra, but to whomever it was: thanks! Wasn't a huge fan of the White Oak Jai Alai, contrary to much of the community, so I was excited to see how this one faired. It pours a rustic copper color; mostly opaque with little, tiny floaters hanging all around like the inside of a shop window. Chunky, fluffy, and lasting is the creamy, eggshell colored head; nice, splotchy lacing is left all over the glass.

Walk into your local cigar shop and head to the back of the room where the keep the "best" cigars. You know, inside of the special, sealed room with specific insulation, walls and shelves of cedar, and an expensive environmental control system to keep the temperature and humidity at a perfect and constant level. Stand in the middle of this room. Inhale. That's the aroma of Cedar Aged Jai Alai, more or less.

Smells like a cigar shop, no joke. Polished cedar, wood, and even spicy hints of tobacco. There's an underlying touch of finishing citric hops, but much like the White Oak Jai Alai, the wood asserts its dominance and obliterates almost any trace of hops on the nose. Luckily though (at least, in my opinion) the cedar is a much more enjoyable smell than white oak. I love the way cigar shops smell, and I love how closely this beer resembles it.

The taste is also reminiscent of a cigar shop; very, very woody and cedar-y with mild phenol and ashy hints. It's like sucking on a splinter of cedar. Very light orange and pineapple are there, buried deep under the floorboards made of cedar - the only remnants left of what was once a bright, fruity, Floridian IPA. This beer is actually quite sweet and spicy, with not much hop bitterness at all. It's kind of boozy, but I think some of that is feigned by the intense woodiness.

It feels nice on the palate, too. Medium bodied, kind of creamy, with moderate carbonation. Overall, it's definitely one of the more unique beers I've had. I mean, really, it smells like you're sticking your head inside of a humidifier. It's actually quite nice to smell, though the taste doesn't translate the same awesomeness to the palate 100%. Much better than the White Oak Aged Jai Ali, but I still prefer the original. Nevertheless - try this at least once for its originality.

Cigar City Brewing, India Pale Ale Humidor Series aged on Spanish Cedar. 7.5% Alcohol as stated on site not bottle. This beers label must have had a face-lift because the pic is different but has some similarities. 750ml bottle pour into German Becker.

A- Pours a deep orange fluid that is almost firey red in color producing a huge off white head of about an inch and a half. Thick pillowy lacing cling to the glass with nice vigor.

S- I have to admit that the inital scent is in fact of a bitter Cedar and malt mix. Undertones include alcohol esters, earthy tones and slight caramel.

T-M- After taking a quaff of this stuff I found out what it was made of real quick. Very balanced earthy hops that are melded by a perfect mix of dark malts. Flavors include light grapefruit, tangy oranges, cedar wood, earth and semi sweet chocolate malts. (In that order.) Mouthfeel is excellent with a creamy charactor and light carbonated feel that just rolls down the tongue with such ease.

D- Drinkablity is wonderful in the aspect that it is mild and not over the top at all. Flavors are balanced and set up well for a session of IPA drinking... good beer... cheers!

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Hazy amber, absolutely huge head, tons of carbonation, almost scary!

S - Cedar and spice with a touch of sweet malt.

T - Smooth delivery of hops throughout, a bit of spiciness, the cedar is there but not overpowering. The aging and perhaps wood have rounded this beer out very well.

M - Light bodied, carbonation is a bit overwhelming, I have a feeling that some bacteria was introduced as it foamed up as soon as I popped the cap and I can't believe they carbonated it to this level intentionally. No off flavors though...

O - Good beer, definitely interesting, would honestly rather just have the Jai Alai straight up.

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

A: extreme likeness to apple cider in consistency and clarity, very thin foam head coats surface.

S: unlike any IPA i've ever smelled, hops peek out from a barleywine and cedar backbone.

T: an exceptional blast of quality hops that are supported by a flavorful cast of dark fruits (plums, grapes, figs) and a dry wood aftertaste.

MF/D: tickles the tongue with cool bubble, leaves a warm dry finish... easily enjoyable alone but more fun with friends. certainly dont mind the cedar aging. the subdued hops are a fresh, but pleasant, change of pace from west coast IPA's.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle from the brewery.

Pours into my snifter a deep vibrant orange with great clarity and two fingers of creamy white head that lingers and leaves sticky lacing on the side of my glass. Aromas are quite unlike anything I've had before. An amalgamation of spicy cedar wood that enters the nostrils much akin to opening a humidor and juicy, tropical fruit hop tones. Grapefruit and herbal hop resins abound. Nice caramel malt background. Really love the aroma.

First sip brings an upfront mix of spicy cedar wood and tropical, citric hops. Somewhat earthy and peppery with a nice dose of herbal, grassy hop resins. Caramel rides in the backbone. Solid bitterness, the cedar and hops mix lingers on after each sip. Yum.

Mouthfeel is both smooth and creamy. Good carbonation and perfect balance that makes drinking a breeze. Overall, wasn't sure what to expect of this, but it delivered. The cedar aging really adds a great twist to an already awesome IPA. Now I just have to figure out how to get more!

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottled 5/25/11; consumed 8/16/11

A - Pours clear orange with two fingers of beige head. Head has excellent retention and leaves some nice lacing.

S - Cedar is very noticeable in the nose, along with a wonderful citrus aroma and some noticeable caramel malt.

T - Similar to smell. Nice juicy citrus. At first taste, the cedar is almost overwhelming, especially on the finish, which is incredibly dry and full of tannins. The cedar really grew on me througout the glass. Like having a small cedar chip under my tongue.

M - medium mouthfeel with a very dry finish.

O - This definitely borders on too much wood character for my liking, but I really liked it. I've had few oak-aged IPAs that I didn't really care for, but the cedar was nice.

2.4/5  rDev -40.9%

A murky brown pour contrasts with a vibrant white foam. Legs cling a little to the glass sides. The nose is a woody bittering hop. I'm not really good at distinguishing hops, but smell seems Saez or Czech, or Hallertau, or maybe even Willamette. Are these even accurate? Point is, the hops I do smell really aren't like the delicious Simcoe or Cascade or Centennial that I was expecting...and certainly no Citra. I detect only like bitterness hops, and that's a tad disappointing.

It tastes better than it smells, but not as good as it looks--not as good as the cool-looking bottle and label suggest, and definitely far short of the hoopla I've encountered surrounding CC Brewery. I'll try not to let my let-down overly contaminate my review here, but this beer is not that impressive. It's not that it's too malty; it's that the hops/ingredients seem inferior! [Edit: maybe it's the cedar?!?!?]. I think beers in big bottles--particularly 750s--should taste better than their 12oz peers. Though I bought both at the same time and place, this is my second such beer. For me, it's the hops in this IPA that just aren't that good.

The feel is also lacking. Though bittering hops seem to dominate, there is no enamel-ripping or cool-like bittering feel. It's beers like this that make me wonder if my palate is suffering! :-0 It's also dark-ass pale ales like this that remind me that I hate Irish reds. This is what the beer most reminds me of. It's not even Thanksgiving yet, but oh how I want a Hopslam....

Edit: after reading other reviews, maybe it's the cedar wood that I found overwhelming and off-putting. For me, it totally masked any citrus or grapefruit (interestingly, the wifey picked up some grapefruit...but she likes the wood more than me ;-). As for a comparison to Burton Baton, I guess I've concluded I like oak better than cedar.

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Proof Bottle Shop. Poured into a snifter. Clear amber orange with tiny white chunks suspended throughout. Some white head, thin white collar and poor lacing. Aroma is citrusy, sweet earthy cedar, some caramel, lots of orange, some grapefruit and lemon. Taste is mostly the cedar and orange/grapefruit with a touch of the medium malt. Mouthfeel is slightly under carbonated and a little thin too. I finally sat down to write this review after a few four packs over the past few years. Decent, but I'll take Jai Alai any day of the weeks.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Cask offering at Rattle N hum in NYC. This unfiltered, barrell aged brew pours cloudy medium amber, lighter tan head, typical sheeting and lace. I get mostly grapefruit on the nose with maybe a glimmer of cedar in the rear. Soft on the tongue, with low carbonation, ample fruity hops, again with a healthy dose of grapefruit. Tasty hopped up IPA from the sunshine state. The cedar here was lost on me.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Cigar City Humidor IPA
Poured from a bottle into a glass
A: Brown, with a decent head that takes a while to fade.
S: Fruity, Grapefruit, lemon, some pine and hop notes very complex.
T: Fruity, the hops are not as front forward as they could be.
M: Some hops but you can taste the barrel aged part of this beer. Complex, reminiscent of liquor.
O: good for an IPA, I wouldn’t buy it again mostly because it’s expensive but certainly a good full bodied beer.

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to ktrillionaire for sending this bottle my way.

The beer pours a hazy orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma is very heavy on the cedar with some mixed citrus fruit (mainly pineapple) and pepper mixed in. The flavor is dominated with cedar notes. There are some orange and pine hops in the flavor and the aftertaste is a mix of cedar and orange. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

4.75/5  rDev +17%

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at CCB tap takeover at OTC.

A: Nice looking amber color. Small white head with excellent lacing and retention.
S: The first thing I got was fruits. Grapefruit, orange, peaches, pineapple and mango. It was backed up by a sweet cedar smell. This smells amazing.
T: Taste is malty sweetness with some fruity hoppy bitterness. A bit piney that I imagine comes from the cedar ageing.
M: Medium mouthfeel with low carbonation. A bit sticky but overall very drinkable.
O: This was easily my favorite beer of the night. It's very mellow compared to other huge IPAs, just extremely well balanced and drinkable.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

750ml bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours a really clear light amber with a small light yellow head. Nose is all cedar, it's malty and dry, quite unique.

Taste is bitter and dry, but the cedar is he biggest flavor - it's it a light mouthfeel that's really nice. So dry it hinders the drinkability a bit.

1.9/5  rDev -53.2%

Bottle

Thanks for opening this with me, DarthKostrizer!

Dark, hazy copper and auburn with a moderately sized very light khaki colored head that leaves small smears of lace down the glass. This is a very pretty beer, and the appearance is its best aspect, unfortunately.

I knew this would be an unpleasant drinking experience from the first moment I shoved my nose into the glass. The aroma is of boiled cabbage, old, crusted Heinz Ketchup, some salt, and a bit of cedar. This doesn't smell like anything I want to put in my mouth.

The flavor isn't quite as horrific as the aroma, as the damp cedar dominates the flavor. There's still significant vegetable (cabbage, earth, and old tomato) flavors as well, but the cedar flavor lingers on and on.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Decent enough.

I will decline a pour of this beer the next time it is offered. This was perhaps the worst IPA I've ever had.

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing