2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 867 | Reviews: 447 | Show All Ratings:
srhoadsy

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Looking for something different to drink tonight and boy did I find it. Forgot I even had this in the cellar.

I was surprised to see the variation in reviews for this beer. Granted this is a very unique beer but the reviews are all over the map. Any way, here we go.

Pours a cloudy orange color with about 1/2 inch cream colored head that fades pretty quickly. Bottle conditioned, so watch your pour.

Smells like the name implies; malt, cedar and tobacco.

My initial impression was alot of grapefruit flavor with a background of pepper and spice. As the beer warmed the cedar and tobacco really begin to come out.

Carbonation wasn't overwhelming and mouthfeel overall was fairly light for a beer with this much flavor.

Overall, one of the most unique and interesting beers I've had in a while. Not something I would drink on a regular basis but a good one to throw in the rotation when you are looking for something different.

07-01-2012 03:36:36 | More by srhoadsy
busterwhite

Georgia

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured an orange color with a 1 finger head. Decent amount of lacing on the glass.

Smelled of grapefruit, citrus, a little pine and some sweetness from the cedar.

Nice grapfruit bitterness up front that mellows out as the cedar kicks in. Finishes with nice, lingering citrus bitterness.

Medium mouthfeel, carbonation was a little on the high side.

Overall this was excellent. I enjoy Jai Alai, but the cedar aging adds a whole other dimension, really mellowing it out and giving it a smooth taste.

06-22-2012 13:34:59 | More by busterwhite
bigfnjoe

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured from a bottle into a Victory tulip

A- pours a cloudy shade of orange with a one finger slightly offwhite head. A decent bit of sediment in this one. Huh.

S- the cedar is the primary aroma, with some sweet fruit creeping through as well

T- slight bitterness, decent smoky wood flavor, mild sweetness. It's ok

M- body is actually relatively thick

O- not a huge fan. I know this is one of CCB's staples, but I'm not in love with it

06-16-2012 15:19:54 | More by bigfnjoe
macrosmatic

4.75/5  rDev +17%

Had this one several times, just getting around to review. Reviewed from notes. Had on-tap at CCB tasting room.

A: Clear amber to copper in color. Forms a one finger white head. Some visible carbonation here.

S: Woody, cedar, grapefruit and tropical fruit hops.

T: Really good. The cedar compliments the IPA character wonderfully. There is citrus (grapefruit, lemon, orange), and sweet malt flavor underneath. No alcohol presence to speak of. Finish is dry, and the dryness of the cedar fights with the hop bitterness in the hang.

M: Nice, not overly heavy mouthfeel. There is noticeably less carbonation in this pour than others I've had.

O: I can understand why some may not prefer this beer. The cedar flavor certainly comes on strong. But, I absolutely love it and the cedar flavor works SO well with the IPA style. If you haven't had the opportunity to try this yet, I would suggest you seek it out.

06-12-2012 23:32:53 | More by macrosmatic
UCLABrewN84

2.85/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to ehammond1 for sharing this at DarthKostrizer's tasting.

Pours a murky honey orange with a beige head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, caramel, earth, citrus zest, and some cedar wood. Taste is of malt, dirt, ashes, earth, and damp wood. There is a medium amount of bitterness with each sip. This beer has a pretty good level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer with a better smell than taste.

06-03-2012 20:34:42 | More by UCLABrewN84
standardcherry

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at CCB tap takeover at OTC.

A: Nice looking amber color. Small white head with excellent lacing and retention.
S: The first thing I got was fruits. Grapefruit, orange, peaches, pineapple and mango. It was backed up by a sweet cedar smell. This smells amazing.
T: Taste is malty sweetness with some fruity hoppy bitterness. A bit piney that I imagine comes from the cedar ageing.
M: Medium mouthfeel with low carbonation. A bit sticky but overall very drinkable.
O: This was easily my favorite beer of the night. It's very mellow compared to other huge IPAs, just extremely well balanced and drinkable.

05-11-2012 07:29:26 | More by standardcherry
Danny1217

4.44/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours orange, with some floaties in it, but mostly very clear. Nice white head with lots of lacing.
Smells intense. Cedar wood complements the huge citrus aroma and even enhances it. Some tropical fruit and pine as well.
Tastes of citrus, tropical fruits, and pine. A touch of sweet malt, but mostly hidden beneath the hops. The cedar once again enhances the citrus. The wood aging really works so well here.

Might be my favorite treatment of this beer. Fantastic. Wish it was available more often.

05-08-2012 05:43:24 | More by Danny1217
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a clear golden color with a decent sized white head that slowly fades to a ring around the top of my glass. Smells like that old chest at the end of your grandmothers bed. Earthy and woody with a hint of patchouli. There's some citrus in there as well, and maybe some malt, but the cedar is such a powerful aroma its hard to find anything else. It tastes just like it smells. Cedar and citrus with a hint of pepper and malt splashed in for good measure. I'm not sure if I'm imagining this, but after each sip my pallet seems awash with the flavor of cannabis. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet bubbly mouthfeel. The cedar flavor and aroma is quite strong here and the first few sips were rough until my taste buds finally cried uncle. This is not something I would drink often, but I applaud the result.

05-06-2012 01:52:51 | More by johnnnniee
Treebs

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

750 ml bottle served in a Deschutes tulip. Thanks to eorwar for the share.

A: Pours a hazy amber color with a frothy white head forming on the pour. Some splotchy lace is left down the glass.

S: Big woodiness up front. There is a weird fruity tang and it mixes with big hops and more big raw wood.

T: I'm getting the big raw woodiness and the slightly awkward fruity tang from the nose. I get more of a tobacco leaf flavor here on the finish as well.

M: Medium bodied with a medium carbonation. The finish is an earthy tobacco leaf.

O: This beer really tastes like the environment inside a walk-in humidor. If you love that smell and feel you'll love this beer. I just don't find those flavors really meshing well the fruity hops from the base beer. Not a bad beer, but I wouldn't revisit.

05-05-2012 14:40:44 | More by Treebs
Teleweizen2

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

A - pours a clear light orange hue with minimal white foam. lacing practicly covers the glass. the second pour is surprising as it pours out a cloudy murky amber with some yellow highlights. 3 fingers worth of foam this time, though it quickly dissipates it still leaves the same amount of lacing.

S - nose has a lot of earthy, woody notes. lots of tropical fruit along with candied orange peels. as it warms the earthy notes come out more in the form of tobacco and hints of pine needles.

T - doughy malt profile up front. sweetness and bitterness blend together mid palate along with some tropical fruit flavors. more intense bitterness on the back end. finish is dry and piney.

M - medium bodied. slick texture with just a hint of creaminess.

O - nice beer. i do wish it was touch drier but the bottle conditioning really gives this beer life and body, i only wish i got around to drinking the bottle sooner. will get another bottle fresher to review.

05-03-2012 04:31:12 | More by Teleweizen2
BrownNut

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Tulip from a 750

How do you rate a beer that is very interesting, but not necessarily in a gustatively pleasing or coherent way? In a nutshell I feel like this was a bold try that didn't quite work. I'm glad they tried it and I'm glad I tried it but having noted and appreciated its unique impact, I would not buy it again. It's a thinker.

A - Cloudy dark orange with a bright white head that dies down but keeps replenishing itself for a while. Tons of lacing. I kind of don't care how a beer looks and don't really care about style guidelines, but in trying to be a team player I was about to rate this down because it was cloudy and I didn't feel like it should be. But I just read the BJCP guidelines for the style, which said in part, "Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy." As this is unfiltered and bottle fermented, let's don't rate down its appearance for that. Nice color, nice head, nice bubble action.

S - Sharp cedar mixed with fresh citrus mixed with malty caramel sweet. The cedar comes across initially spicy, which is welcome until the cedarness of it kicks in. I can't help but be reminded of the cedar shavings in my elementary school gerbil cage, which was usually mixed with gerbil pee smell, which is an (admittedly subjective) association I don't want to get from a beer. Yet at the same time there is something sort of refined about it, reminding me of a cigar humidor as the series name implies. These three aroma notes aren't bad but don't quite come together harmoniously for me. I bet a different wood would do better here. I'd like to try oak, maybe in the form of a cognac barrel. Citrus + caramel + oak-aged cognac would be like a cognac long drink. You're welcome.

T - The cedar dominates the taste and the aftertaste. Everything else is happening beneath that. It's hard to consider those things without the cedar note because it refuses to yield center stage even for a moment. Late in the 750 I'm getting substantial booze breath, like when you wake up the next day after a college keg party for an 8-o'clock class and are still exhaling straight alcohol and people are like damn, what did you get up to last night? The guy two reviews ago mentions grapefruit. Interesting, I can kind of see what he means now. The combination of processed grain alcohol breath with cedar does kind of combine to form a grapefruit effect. Feels a little like gin and tonic breath, which is on the border between maturely refined and Oh No I'm An Alcoholic.

M - Smooth and soft. At first it was ending a little sticky, but towards the end, I guess having stripped all the native mucus away, it was ending with a hint of that dry tongue abrasion, sort of like you'd licked a block of cedar. The last reviewer mentioned that his foamed over when he opened it. While mine was well carbonated and had lots of action in the glass to keep replenishing the head for a while (then dying out), mine did not foam over upon opening like his, so maybe that was an anomaly.

O - My whole goal of beer exploring is to find interesting beers, and in that respect this one really delivers. I've never had anything like this and I say it's worth your while to try it. Yet while interesting and different and memorable, this beer tells me I don't want beer aged on cedar. It still manages to be pretty decent aside from the cedar, so I'll want to track down their un-aged Jai Alai. I bet it's nice. I feel like if I hadn't had that gerbil cage for all those years, cedar would make a different and better impression on me, because its spice notes add a really interesting layer of complexity and exciting flavor. It kind of makes you want food or a sauce flavored with those initial spicy notes, like maybe a curry. Hop on that, India, and call me when you've got something. Cedar-smoked lamb korma curry. There it is.

My smell, taste, and overall scores represent the average between how much I appreciate the originality of the attempt and how not-quite-right I perceive the result. If there were an originality category I'd give them a 5.

04-23-2012 02:03:54 | More by BrownNut
steelerguy

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Hazy amber, absolutely huge head, tons of carbonation, almost scary!

S - Cedar and spice with a touch of sweet malt.

T - Smooth delivery of hops throughout, a bit of spiciness, the cedar is there but not overpowering. The aging and perhaps wood have rounded this beer out very well.

M - Light bodied, carbonation is a bit overwhelming, I have a feeling that some bacteria was introduced as it foamed up as soon as I popped the cap and I can't believe they carbonated it to this level intentionally. No off flavors though...

O - Good beer, definitely interesting, would honestly rather just have the Jai Alai straight up.

04-16-2012 23:42:26 | More by steelerguy
Goblinmunkey7

Huge thanks to Bilco for surprising me with a bottle.

Appearance: Orange leaning toward copper. Head is bright-white and clings to the glass. Head drops to a thin ring with wisps of foam covering the top of the beer. Slight haze from the sediment. Otherwise the beer is perfectly clear.

Smell: Cedar like whoa. It has a weird nostalgic aroma, which has to be true for anyone with a grandmother from a certain generation. Juicy citrus hops play under the spicy cedar notes. A touch of sweetness and a solid bready malt backbone. The cedar really ramps things up. Great complimentary aroma.

Taste: Spicy cedar dominates. After a few sips and the tongue gets used to the crazy cedar flavor, a nice grapefruit-forward hop bite sneaks through. Some pithy bitterness. Malts are a touch sweet. Bread dough and toasted crust. A touch of caramel to keep things interesting. The spicy components of the cedar enhance the bright citrus notes.

Mouthfeel: A little more body than the non-aged version. Smooth and oh so drinkable. Carbonation is low, but works incredibly well with treatment. So smooth and almost creamy at times.

Overall: I'd take this over the standard version any day. The cedar is a great touch if a bit unorthodox. The spicy woody flavors are a perfect compliment. This is my first encounter with bottled nostalgia and it works.

04-05-2012 01:42:13 | More by Goblinmunkey7
DCon

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Shared a 750mL bottle of this w/ BigDoug @ the Royale in St. Louis, MO. Poured from the Red/Green/Yellow Labeled bottle w/ a Giant "H" in the middle into a Shaker Glass. Has no sign of a freshness date.

Aroma- Malt, hop, and a mild blend of oak come around here. Nothing distinct in this aroma and very shy attributes.

Appearance- Pours a 1 finger head that dies quickly. Has a dark orange/copper body with good clarity. Leaves tons of suds behind.

Flavor- Very sweet flavor including American hops but stay as a light-medium flavor in here. A bit of cedar/oak come around towards the end. Medium Bitterness at most.

Mouthfeel- Medium Bodied, Light-Medium Carbonation, Smooth, and a nice barrel attribute with hops are left on the palate.

Overall Impression- Not one of my favorites from Cigar City. Since I thought the Jai Alai was an A+ IPA, you rarely see a beer this profound and world-class to be changed for the better. Glad I got to enjoy but wouldn't grab this as my first choice if around an isle with other C.C. beers.

03-14-2012 19:21:05 | More by DCon
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Bottle shared by afdempse. Thanks Adam!

The beer is transparent and orange colored, sporting a half inch of white head. Lasting retention and ample lacing.

The aroma is unique and wonderful. A bold scent of freshly lit cigars and cigar smoke take center stage, followed by floral hops.

The taste is not quite as delectable and intriguing as the aroma, but well balanced and enjoyable nonetheless. I can understand why some may dislike this beer, as it is certainly not for everyone. When viewed solely as an IPA or DIPA, this will not hold its own when matched against the upper tier brews of this ilk. That said, Humidor IPA is a complex, unique, and creative brew to be sipped and savored. I applaud Cigar City for this "outside the box" beer. While I was not expecting to enjoy this nearly as much as I did, I would certainly have this again. Recommended.

03-11-2012 21:05:28 | More by Huhzubendah
ehammond1

1.9/5  rDev -53.2%

Bottle

Thanks for opening this with me, DarthKostrizer!

Dark, hazy copper and auburn with a moderately sized very light khaki colored head that leaves small smears of lace down the glass. This is a very pretty beer, and the appearance is its best aspect, unfortunately.

I knew this would be an unpleasant drinking experience from the first moment I shoved my nose into the glass. The aroma is of boiled cabbage, old, crusted Heinz Ketchup, some salt, and a bit of cedar. This doesn't smell like anything I want to put in my mouth.

The flavor isn't quite as horrific as the aroma, as the damp cedar dominates the flavor. There's still significant vegetable (cabbage, earth, and old tomato) flavors as well, but the cedar flavor lingers on and on.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Decent enough.

I will decline a pour of this beer the next time it is offered. This was perhaps the worst IPA I've ever had.

03-06-2012 00:44:18 | More by ehammond1
cwguy5

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

poured into Stone IPA stemware. thanks to sendsilk for the hookup!

A - hazy rusty colored body with a bubbly, white, thin head that faded to thin cap; light spotty lacing

S - cedar and black pepper(lots of both), cigar, leather

T - some malty flavors, probably from the age, but not unwanted; definitely a strong hops presence there still as well though; the cedar is much lighter than the almost overpowering aroma would suggest

M - light-medium body; light carbonation; short, drying linger

O - i liked the proportion of hops to malt to cedar; a very interesting beer that did not disappoint; strong flavors but surprisingly drinkable; a must-try if you can find one

02-26-2012 01:55:04 | More by cwguy5
JoEBoBpr

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 750ml bottle.

Pours a gorgeous dark strong cooper color with some nice orange hues and some slight haze. There is a nice 0.5 inch head that is white and nicely dense. There is also some chunkier bubbles sprinkled around and the head slowly recedes to a thin film.

Interesting aroma. Starts off with some Jai Alai typical tropical notes. Mango and tangerine with some slight tangerine. However, different than the base beer there is a strong cedar notes to the aroma. Very fresh smelling with some nice grassy notes and clean wood notes. Quite interesting but nice.

The flavor is interesting as well but thankfully the wood notes only play a background to some nice tropical hop notes. Pretty nice and bitter. There are some woody notes that can be perceived through the beer as well as some spice intermingled with the mango and tangerine notes and tons of grapefruit and some orange. It definitely has some typical IPA notes but it is also quite different and interesting. Mouthfeel is nice and clean with crisp bubbles that helps the brew.

Interesting brew. Notes of wood really give this beer a different dimension especially for an IPA. Still pretty god brew and hoppy enough.

02-19-2012 01:25:32 | More by JoEBoBpr
FanofHefe

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Happy to find this on the shelf at Total Wine. Bomber poured into a pint glass (wish I had a snifter or tulip); dated Nov 2011 on the label.

Hazy body, dark yellow/orange color, with a three-finger, creamy light tan head. The head has excellent retention and settles into a foamy cap.

The aroma is not really like an IPA but is interesting nonetheless. The cedar/wood notes are prominent, followed by a light earthy hop aroma. Some sweet malt in the background.

The flavor is equally interesting. The hops take a background to the wood flavors. The cedar flavor is again prominent, and as the beer has aged, the hop flavors have obviously faded in favor of the malt. The flavor is good, but I actually think this one would be better with a little more age on it, maybe a year or so to have the flavors blend.

Medium mouthfeel with an oily hop texture. Overall, one of the most unique beers I've ever had and definitely worth a try.

02-09-2012 00:18:32 | More by FanofHefe
iadler

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

Bottle courtesy of Aiptasia.

A- Pours a hazy dark orange with a two finger white head with good retention. A few lines of lacing are left behind.

S- Earthy oak upfront followed by red apples, lemon juice, grapefruit, orange and a hint of caramel malt.

T- Citrus notes with lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit as well as red apple, caramel malt and a strong oak flavor, which is a bit too harsh and overpowering. It did get a bit smoother as the beer warmed up a bit.

M- Medium carbonation and body with a dry finish.

O- This was as advertised with the oak being prominent in the aroma and taste. I did think it was a little too overpowering in the taste which hurt the drinkability, but certainly not a bad effort from CCB.

02-02-2012 00:25:29 | More by iadler
ThePorterSorter

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

So I was going to wait and try this with a cigar...couldn't wait.
Bottles Nov 2011

The beer pours a hazy dark amber with an inch of fluffy white head that leaves incredible lacing. The beer doesn't appear to have much sediment. Smelling will let you know exactly which wood they used and why they used it. It's an incredibly pungent cedar woodiness with spicy hops to complement. What's remarkable is the taste follows the nose and carries through the notes of cedar, hops, and a rich malt. Incredible cedar, absolutely an untapped potential as far as barrel aging (other than DFH and probably a few others). Overall the beer's mouthfeel was a hoppy IPA with a strong woodiness and a medium body. Even without the cedar this beer has an incredibly smooth body. I would definitely recommend this beer to others, especially to those who enjoy an occasional cigar.

GF summary: Tastes kind of like a guinea pig cage (but in a good way).

01-28-2012 06:21:00 | More by ThePorterSorter
Thingus

Live tasting into a Delirium Tulip, courtesy of a good friend... Thank you Peacehammer!

Appearance; pours a gorgeous bright, lively orange, minimal white head that quickly dissipates leaving no lacing.

Smell; cedar, pepper, tobacco, minimal citrus

Taste; leads with some slight honey sweetness that gives way to a hoppy, citrus, peppery tobacco flavor, the bitterness of the hops quickly fades, leaving a lingering peppery tobacco flavor...

Mouthfeel; lively on the tongue, just dances on the palate, great carbonation...

Overall; a fantastic IPA, with a bit of a twist, definitely worth checking out!!

01-19-2012 05:36:04 | More by Thingus
Viciousknishs

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

A- pours a hazed deep burnt orange color with a finger of off white head.decent head retention. Good lacing.

S- robust cedar aromas permeate the aroma. Nice citrusy and spicy floral hop notes come out in the middle. Dry malt aroma on the finish.

T- nice burst of citrusy and spicy floral hops up front. Dry biscuity malt brings some balance. Big woody cedar character on the finish with solid hop bitterness. The cedar and spicy leafy hops linger on the palate.

MF- full slick mouthfeel with a medium body and medium carbonation.

D- good drinkability with very unique flavor from the cedar.

01-19-2012 01:57:40 | More by Viciousknishs
afdempse

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Cloudy orange amber color. Head has great staying power.

Smells of hops and spice. Getting the cigar cedar thing in the nose.

Woodsy flavor, strong hops and cedar. Tastes like a perfect marriage of cigars and beer. Maltiness is full without being overly sweet.

Dry finish, wood and floral hops persist in the finish. Excellent.

01-18-2012 04:23:51 | More by afdempse
TotallyHosed

3.48/5  rDev -14.3%

Thanks goes to Heatwave33.

The appearance has all the markings of a good brew: thick off-white head, translucent dark amber color, lacing from top to bottom and bubbly.

The smell of this brew is lacking. I certainly smell the cedar wood, but at no time could I smell anything else.

The taste is a little better than the smell. When the brew was cold, I was only able to taste cedar and a little bit of sweetness. As it warmed up I did pick up some hoppy bitterness.

The feel is nice. There's adequate carbonation and light body. The bottle says the brew is unfiltered, but the appearance nor the feel reflected this. I would expect to see some cloudiness and a light-to-medium body. In my opinion, this is simply an observation, not a negative critique.

I do enjoy IPA's that are aged with wood. That extra layer, or layers, of complexity is a welcome change from the usual profile. My only disappointment is that I expected more hops in the nose. Maybe a bottle that is more fresh would deliver this. This is an interesting beer that I recommend you try once. I don't smoke cigars, but I imagine this brew would make a good pair.

01-12-2012 00:43:29 | More by TotallyHosed