Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009)
BWarrington

02-05-2012 03:52:47 | More by BWarrington
shizzyraw

1.33/5  rDev -67.2%

Served on cask at Capone's in Norristown on 06/08/2011 during their Deschutes event.

Appearance - Looks like grapefruit juice mixed with protein powder. A mudish, orangish brown. No head what so ever with a bit of lacing. Honestly doesn't look like anything that I have ever seen before.

Smell - Like a lumber yard. I actually had a flash back of walking through a lumber yard with my father when I was a kid. There is some citrus mixed in there, but the cedar masks it almost entirely.

Taste - OMG. Cedar. It just kicks you in the teeth, hard. I almost spit it back in my glass. There is some grapefruit and black pepper notes, but yikes, the cedar just simply wrecked my palate. And not in a good way. The aftertaste is pure cedar, which compounds with each additional sip. One word comes to mind, gross. I couldn't get halfway through it before I sent it back.

Mouthfeel - Like it should be consumed with a spoon. I like my Stouts thick, but not my IPAs. Almost no carbonation.

Notes - When I looked at the taplist, I said, "Hmm, never had a cedar aged beer before." Now I know why. Oak or Bourbon barrels compliment or enhance the beer it is aging. Based on this initial encounter, cedar completely changes a beer into cedar juice. Perhaps this would have tasted better ice cold as opposed to from a cask. Maybe a little chill on it would have helped mellow out that hash cedar taste.

I found this video review AFTER I penned mine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Ypfid_5dM , their faces are priceless

06-10-2011 18:04:47 | More by shizzyraw
aasher

Indiana

1.35/5  rDev -66.7%

Cedar aged IPA my ass! Insert sarcasm button here. The cedar hits you in the face when you open the bottle. You would've thought you were taking batting practice during spring training and your nostrils were being thrown at 85mph into this monstrosity. It pours a nice bright copper in color with moderate cloudiness. The aroma is of pure cedar. I expected some but it is in your face and out of control. You don't even get this much cedar from being surrounded by a room of cedar. Dear god it is strong! The flavor too is of wood, wood, wood. If you imagine hard enough I suppose you might pick up some malt, maybe. It drinks like a Jai Alai but is dry and sticky and this one is hard to down. Beavers would even have issues with this one. It just doesn't resemble Jai Alai at all. I know they've done several versions of this but cedar was a huge mistake. It was unfortunately a drain pour.

06-19-2011 02:52:35 | More by aasher
jmarsh123

Indiana

1.45/5  rDev -64.3%

Split the 750 with a buddy.

Pours a red tinged orange with a massive 2 finger head leaving great lacing down the glass.

Smells very sweet with overpowering cedar and tobacco.

Starts off with a little hop kick. Fades into a sweet malt. Taste is like I'm chewing on a plank of cedar. There is no subtleness at all to this. Cedar and tobacco overpower everything and it's a disgusting mess.
As my friend put it, "It's like they made a normal beer and dumped half a Cuban in it."

Mouthfeel is a bit sticky with medium carbonation. The thickness I would enjoy more in a barleywine, not an IPA.

Really wanted to like this one, but we both found it undrinkable and down the drain it went. Very unpleasant aftertaste. Quite possibly the worst beer I've ever consumed.

09-29-2011 23:37:44 | More by jmarsh123
Rifugium

1.5/5  rDev -63.1%

First had: firkin from Capone's, Norristown, PA

I hate to do this really, but I'm going to review this beer, even though I'm very sure it was a bad pour, and/or infected, and/or most likely the very bottom of the barrel, so to speak. It was so bad, I actually showed it to the waitress and got my money back for it. Hopefully I can try this one again, and actually have a good sampling.

Poured an ugly, murky chocolate milk color, almost looked like tea with milk in it. I knew something was wrong right away. No carbonation, no head; ugly stains on the sides of the glass. The smell was very hoppy, with tones of guava and grapefruit, but mostly, it smelled like old paint cans. Yikes. Actually the first thought that came to my mind was: this smells like the homes I used to do maintenance on in Camden when I was working with my grandfather during my high school years. Ah, memories...bad ones.

A cautious sip yielded an extremely intense hoppy taste, thick and very bitter, heavy with cedar. My wife looked at me with loving disgust as I ventured another sip, but that was it for this one. After a while, it started to settle as it sat, with most of the murk sinking to the bottom half, and something that could have been an IPA rising to the top, but again, I wasn't going for it again. Well, now at least I know what the bottom of a firkin tastes like. Either that, or cedar is not something beer should be aged in. Still better than Budweiser.

06-10-2011 13:44:38 | More by Rifugium
womencantsail

1.5/5  rDev -63.1%

I've had this one a couple occasions now. Both out of the growler and out of the bottle. Both have been the same...

A: The pour is a nice looking hazy golden orange color with a white foam on top.

S: The nose is not a good start to the beer. Cedar and spicy mothballs. The hops try to peak through with just a bit of citrus, but the attempt is futile.

T: Just when I thought the nose couldn't get worse, I drank the beer. Incredibly astringent and spicy notes from the cedar with tobacco and a flavor that I would assume is how mothballs taste (judging from the smell).

M: A medium body with a moderate carbonation. Unfortunately, that spiciness sits on the tongue and is only tolerable for a period of time.

D: I really don't get this beer or the raves about it. I suppose the cedar aging might work for other styles of beer, but get it out of the IPAs.

04-21-2010 17:46:29 | More by womencantsail
Centennial

Vermont

1.58/5  rDev -61.1%

Appearance - really??? is this the bottom of my latest primary fermenter or a finished beer? Murky like grapefruit juice mixed 50/50 with half and half.

Smell - cedar closet, cedar chest, fresh cut cedar.

Taste - ughh, cedar again? Did I just lick my cedar closet? maybe some hops but the cedar kills them quick.

Mouthfeel - unfiltered, medium bodied, but thick. Like the last pour of a 1/2 keg of a rich heffeweizen. Again a big "Ughhhh".

Overall - based on this beer, cedar is the last species of wood I would choose to age my beer in, regardless of style, go lick some cedar and see if you want your beer infused with the flavor.

Just read the review below and wondering if cigar city sent us some bottom of the barrel crap jai alai for beer week? Calling all old Jai alai bottles, you are wanted to join a special cask of recycled "humidor series" I would love to post a picture of this murky mess!

I recall telling the bartender "that was the hardest beer to get through in a long time!" If that is not saying something then i don't know what will.

06-07-2011 05:21:08 | More by Centennial
Zbeetleman

1.75/5  rDev -56.9%

07-07-2013 04:46:10 | More by Zbeetleman
ehammond1

1.9/5  rDev -53.2%

Bottle

Thanks for opening this with me, DarthKostrizer!

Dark, hazy copper and auburn with a moderately sized very light khaki colored head that leaves small smears of lace down the glass. This is a very pretty beer, and the appearance is its best aspect, unfortunately.

I knew this would be an unpleasant drinking experience from the first moment I shoved my nose into the glass. The aroma is of boiled cabbage, old, crusted Heinz Ketchup, some salt, and a bit of cedar. This doesn't smell like anything I want to put in my mouth.

The flavor isn't quite as horrific as the aroma, as the damp cedar dominates the flavor. There's still significant vegetable (cabbage, earth, and old tomato) flavors as well, but the cedar flavor lingers on and on.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Decent enough.

I will decline a pour of this beer the next time it is offered. This was perhaps the worst IPA I've ever had.

03-06-2012 00:44:18 | More by ehammond1
Overlord

1.98/5  rDev -51.2%

Thanks to fogdog for hooking me up with several Cigar City brews. I am looking forward to trying this underexposed, almost never mentioned on the forums brewery.

I carefully poured myself 2.3 oz for reviewing purposes, then set the rest aside to be consumed after my review is in final (there will be no edits at a later date). I tossed the bottle in my dryer on medium heat then shoved it in the microwave, sans cap, for thirty seconds, to replicate cross-country growler shipping in desert conditions. Now we're good to go!

Pours a deep, hazy orange-amber with a billowing off-white head. Huge heads on these Cigar City brews.

Smells like ... whoa. Holy s***. So that's what a cedar infused beer smells like. Ummm...okay. I smell what I imagine is cedar. Huge amounts of piney, aromatic, cigar-storage-box esque cedar. Yeah, the humidor name is apt. While there's no tobacco in the nose, my brain wants to insert it.

Taste is a bit more complex, with some grapefruit, juicy tangerine, and a bit of bitter pine ... along with CEDAR. And some balancing caramel. You have to have a disciplined palate to pick out the nuances here.

It coats the tongue. Exotic. Memorable. Would I want it every day? No. Cedar is awful and shouldn't be used to age beer. There. I said it.

Very good mouthfeel. Sticky, tangy, good carbonation. F*** that cedar.

07-31-2009 09:03:31 | More by Overlord
largadeer

Appearance: Murky amber with a sticky white head. Good lacing, good retention, clarity could be much improved.

Smell: Intensely woody with a bit of citrusy hops beneath. Some oxidation as well. A cedar overload.

Taste/mouthfeel: Woody, tannic, borderline astringent cedar overpowers the hops and malts both. I get a bit of citrusy hops mid-palate, and no malt to speak of. Bitter tannic finish, it seems like the astringency comes from the wood more than the hops, and there's a noticeable lingering wet paper flavor. Decent, not great.

09-14-2009 03:25:57 | More by largadeer
t0rin0

09-15-2012 21:34:16 | More by t0rin0
beachbum1975

2.08/5  rDev -48.8%

Poured into my Lost Abbey tulip a cloudy, brassy copper. Nice head and average lacing.

Holy cow, this bring me back to the days of working at a tobacco store. I get tomato, celery, black pepper and then a wave of cedar.

The taste reflects the nose. To be honest, I couldn't finish my bottle - it reminded me too much of licking a cedar lined cigar box. The hops were definitely present in it, but I couldn't get past the heavy cedar flavors.

Sorry, but not to my liking.

04-07-2011 12:18:00 | More by beachbum1975
mfunk9786

2.1/5  rDev -48.3%

Had this beer out of a firkin at Capone's during Philly Beer Week.

Overheard someone at another table say "my first sip was horrible, but I guess I'm warming up to it." I guess I had the opposite experience, and so did my friend who ordered the same beer. Not sure if this beer is the same out of the bottle as it was on cask, but what we had was major league woodsy. And not woodsy in a good way. The beer was an appealingly cloudy orange, suggesting a Jai Alai with a dark secret. Some secrets are best left hidden. Upon sniffing this beer, the cedar that we'd been so charged up about was evident, but the wonderful tropical fruit notes that make Jai Alai so unique were still peeking through admirably. I was very excited to take a sip. Until I took one. I convinced myself that I needed another to truly appreciate this brew. And another. And another. It was just dreadful. Majorly medicinal wood character combined with a bone dry finish that left a minty herbal note in my breath, and I don't mean that in a good way. I wanted this gone. I haven't chugged a beer like I did Jai Alai Cedar Aged IPA since I needed to dispose of a warm Natural Light in college.

06-07-2011 05:20:23 | More by mfunk9786
TenHornsProud

Colorado

2.1/5  rDev -48.3%

Pours a cloudy orange with a big white head.

Smells of cedar and some pine/grapefruit hop.

Up front cedar/pepper that lasts through the whole taste and ends on a woody, vanilla, peppery mess. It tastes like sawdust...no thanks.

Medium to light body with medium to low carbonation work for the style.

While this is a well enough made beer, the flavor is quite off putting. Like sucking on cedar cubes. Beware.

11-26-2011 19:54:10 | More by TenHornsProud
redneckchugger

2.15/5  rDev -47%

Poured into my duel tulip.
Smells like cedar shaving with beer spilled on them
Tastes of cedar, and hops, with a bit of malt in the back. This beer is very off putting. I really feel like I'm licking a tree when i drink it. In my opinion the reason for this beers high rating is the hype monster. Its not good, the cedar is far too strong. I have had the regular jai-alai and its wonderful, so why mess with it. The only answer i can come up with is that CCB wants to make hype work for them. Which they seem to do very very well.
Not a good beer at all.

09-30-2009 02:00:40 | More by redneckchugger
marvin213

2.4/5  rDev -40.9%

A murky brown pour contrasts with a vibrant white foam. Legs cling a little to the glass sides. The nose is a woody bittering hop. I'm not really good at distinguishing hops, but smell seems Saez or Czech, or Hallertau, or maybe even Willamette. Are these even accurate? Point is, the hops I do smell really aren't like the delicious Simcoe or Cascade or Centennial that I was expecting...and certainly no Citra. I detect only like bitterness hops, and that's a tad disappointing.

It tastes better than it smells, but not as good as it looks--not as good as the cool-looking bottle and label suggest, and definitely far short of the hoopla I've encountered surrounding CC Brewery. I'll try not to let my let-down overly contaminate my review here, but this beer is not that impressive. It's not that it's too malty; it's that the hops/ingredients seem inferior! [Edit: maybe it's the cedar?!?!?]. I think beers in big bottles--particularly 750s--should taste better than their 12oz peers. Though I bought both at the same time and place, this is my second such beer. For me, it's the hops in this IPA that just aren't that good.

The feel is also lacking. Though bittering hops seem to dominate, there is no enamel-ripping or cool-like bittering feel. It's beers like this that make me wonder if my palate is suffering! :-0 It's also dark-ass pale ales like this that remind me that I hate Irish reds. This is what the beer most reminds me of. It's not even Thanksgiving yet, but oh how I want a Hopslam....

Edit: after reading other reviews, maybe it's the cedar wood that I found overwhelming and off-putting. For me, it totally masked any citrus or grapefruit (interestingly, the wifey picked up some grapefruit...but she likes the wood more than me ;-). As for a comparison to Burton Baton, I guess I've concluded I like oak better than cedar.

11-10-2011 21:42:26 | More by marvin213
willseph

2.42/5  rDev -40.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Duvel tulip glass, 2011 release date. Part of a mini-tasting with Spdkilz.

It poured a translucent amber color with a pillowy white head and quite a bit of lacing. The nose is dominated by cedar with hints of vanilla and grapefruit. Taste...holy cedar. Way too over the top cedar taste for me, it was like I was chewing wood chips. Slight hints of spiciness and hop bitterness, but the cedar was over powering. Medium bodied with an oily residue finish. Overall, the cedar was so extreme that it really brought the beer down for me. Maybe it would be better if it aged for a bit and some of that dissipated but I couldn't wait to finish this one and move on to the next.

12-19-2011 16:28:04 | More by willseph

02-19-2012 17:09:12 | More by jfcaa193
barleywinefiend

Washington

2.63/5  rDev -35.2%

A : Poured a dark orangish color, cloudy with amber/brownish highlights. A moderate white head sits at the top which fades leaving some white bubbles and faint lacing

S: Definite cedar, some boiled vegetables, a little bit of spice and thats about all folks

T: Not exactly sure what is happening here. Moderate cedar taste upfront which then seems to grow as I swallow. There is a light spice to it and some citrus is barely noticable. The finish is more cedar, a bit tannic with more cedar, Earthiness on the finish

M: Medium bodied, a little low on carbonation perhaps, the cedar notes really kill this beer.

O: I ahd a Jai Alai just before this and I swear I could not find one single distinguishing note from Jai Alai to this beer. The cedar and whatever else happened along the way just killed this beer.

10-14-2012 14:53:40 | More by barleywinefiend