Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
largadeer

Appearance: Murky amber with a sticky white head. Good lacing, good retention, clarity could be much improved.

Smell: Intensely woody with a bit of citrusy hops beneath. Some oxidation as well. A cedar overload.

Taste/mouthfeel: Woody, tannic, borderline astringent cedar overpowers the hops and malts both. I get a bit of citrusy hops mid-palate, and no malt to speak of. Bitter tannic finish, it seems like the astringency comes from the wood more than the hops, and there's a noticeable lingering wet paper flavor. Decent, not great.

09-14-2009 03:25:57 | More by largadeer
t0rin0

09-15-2012 21:34:16 | More by t0rin0
beachbum1975

2.08/5  rDev -48.8%

Poured into my Lost Abbey tulip a cloudy, brassy copper. Nice head and average lacing.

Holy cow, this bring me back to the days of working at a tobacco store. I get tomato, celery, black pepper and then a wave of cedar.

The taste reflects the nose. To be honest, I couldn't finish my bottle - it reminded me too much of licking a cedar lined cigar box. The hops were definitely present in it, but I couldn't get past the heavy cedar flavors.

Sorry, but not to my liking.

04-07-2011 12:18:00 | More by beachbum1975
mfunk9786

2.1/5  rDev -48.3%

Had this beer out of a firkin at Capone's during Philly Beer Week.

Overheard someone at another table say "my first sip was horrible, but I guess I'm warming up to it." I guess I had the opposite experience, and so did my friend who ordered the same beer. Not sure if this beer is the same out of the bottle as it was on cask, but what we had was major league woodsy. And not woodsy in a good way. The beer was an appealingly cloudy orange, suggesting a Jai Alai with a dark secret. Some secrets are best left hidden. Upon sniffing this beer, the cedar that we'd been so charged up about was evident, but the wonderful tropical fruit notes that make Jai Alai so unique were still peeking through admirably. I was very excited to take a sip. Until I took one. I convinced myself that I needed another to truly appreciate this brew. And another. And another. It was just dreadful. Majorly medicinal wood character combined with a bone dry finish that left a minty herbal note in my breath, and I don't mean that in a good way. I wanted this gone. I haven't chugged a beer like I did Jai Alai Cedar Aged IPA since I needed to dispose of a warm Natural Light in college.

Serving type: cask

06-07-2011 05:20:23 | More by mfunk9786
TenHornsProud

Colorado

2.1/5  rDev -48.3%

Pours a cloudy orange with a big white head.

Smells of cedar and some pine/grapefruit hop.

Up front cedar/pepper that lasts through the whole taste and ends on a woody, vanilla, peppery mess. It tastes like sawdust...no thanks.

Medium to light body with medium to low carbonation work for the style.

While this is a well enough made beer, the flavor is quite off putting. Like sucking on cedar cubes. Beware.

11-26-2011 19:54:10 | More by TenHornsProud
redneckchugger

2.15/5  rDev -47%

Poured into my duel tulip.
Smells like cedar shaving with beer spilled on them
Tastes of cedar, and hops, with a bit of malt in the back. This beer is very off putting. I really feel like I'm licking a tree when i drink it. In my opinion the reason for this beers high rating is the hype monster. Its not good, the cedar is far too strong. I have had the regular jai-alai and its wonderful, so why mess with it. The only answer i can come up with is that CCB wants to make hype work for them. Which they seem to do very very well.
Not a good beer at all.

09-30-2009 02:00:40 | More by redneckchugger
marvin213

2.4/5  rDev -40.9%

A murky brown pour contrasts with a vibrant white foam. Legs cling a little to the glass sides. The nose is a woody bittering hop. I'm not really good at distinguishing hops, but smell seems Saez or Czech, or Hallertau, or maybe even Willamette. Are these even accurate? Point is, the hops I do smell really aren't like the delicious Simcoe or Cascade or Centennial that I was expecting...and certainly no Citra. I detect only like bitterness hops, and that's a tad disappointing.

It tastes better than it smells, but not as good as it looks--not as good as the cool-looking bottle and label suggest, and definitely far short of the hoopla I've encountered surrounding CC Brewery. I'll try not to let my let-down overly contaminate my review here, but this beer is not that impressive. It's not that it's too malty; it's that the hops/ingredients seem inferior! [Edit: maybe it's the cedar?!?!?]. I think beers in big bottles--particularly 750s--should taste better than their 12oz peers. Though I bought both at the same time and place, this is my second such beer. For me, it's the hops in this IPA that just aren't that good.

The feel is also lacking. Though bittering hops seem to dominate, there is no enamel-ripping or cool-like bittering feel. It's beers like this that make me wonder if my palate is suffering! :-0 It's also dark-ass pale ales like this that remind me that I hate Irish reds. This is what the beer most reminds me of. It's not even Thanksgiving yet, but oh how I want a Hopslam....

Edit: after reading other reviews, maybe it's the cedar wood that I found overwhelming and off-putting. For me, it totally masked any citrus or grapefruit (interestingly, the wifey picked up some grapefruit...but she likes the wood more than me ;-). As for a comparison to Burton Baton, I guess I've concluded I like oak better than cedar.

11-10-2011 21:42:26 | More by marvin213
willseph

2.42/5  rDev -40.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Duvel tulip glass, 2011 release date. Part of a mini-tasting with Spdkilz.

It poured a translucent amber color with a pillowy white head and quite a bit of lacing. The nose is dominated by cedar with hints of vanilla and grapefruit. Taste...holy cedar. Way too over the top cedar taste for me, it was like I was chewing wood chips. Slight hints of spiciness and hop bitterness, but the cedar was over powering. Medium bodied with an oily residue finish. Overall, the cedar was so extreme that it really brought the beer down for me. Maybe it would be better if it aged for a bit and some of that dissipated but I couldn't wait to finish this one and move on to the next.

12-19-2011 16:28:04 | More by willseph

02-19-2012 17:09:12 | More by jfcaa193
barleywinefiend

Washington

2.63/5  rDev -35.2%

A : Poured a dark orangish color, cloudy with amber/brownish highlights. A moderate white head sits at the top which fades leaving some white bubbles and faint lacing

S: Definite cedar, some boiled vegetables, a little bit of spice and thats about all folks

T: Not exactly sure what is happening here. Moderate cedar taste upfront which then seems to grow as I swallow. There is a light spice to it and some citrus is barely noticable. The finish is more cedar, a bit tannic with more cedar, Earthiness on the finish

M: Medium bodied, a little low on carbonation perhaps, the cedar notes really kill this beer.

O: I ahd a Jai Alai just before this and I swear I could not find one single distinguishing note from Jai Alai to this beer. The cedar and whatever else happened along the way just killed this beer.

10-14-2012 14:53:40 | More by barleywinefiend

06-12-2013 23:20:03 | More by Brew33
DefenCorps

Oregon

2.8/5  rDev -31%

Thanks to Mike for sending this rare beer as an extra, of all things!

The pour is quite gorgeous, clear amber with a dense off-white head with an off-white head with great retention and nice lacing to boot. Unfortunately, that's about all there is to really like about this beer. Rich and malty, rather simply so, with a lot of caramel, a touch of honey and some burnt caramel as well. Pine hops are apparent, and when cold, the wood character isn't particularly noticeable. However, as it warms up, the harsh cedar character becomes all too apparent. Woody and astringent, with a touch of varnish-like alcohol is present as well. The palate is rather similar, OPENING with woody tannins and a rather astringent character. Once you get used to the highly astringent nature of the brew, you are assaulted by the massive sweetness with sugar, caramel and some pine bitterness. Hop flavor is rather reserved, and frankly, is whelmed by the sweetness. There's no semblance of balance in this beer. While the finish starts off sweet, the tannins really dry out the palate with a harsh astringency. Medium in body with low carbonation, this is pretty much exactly what an IPA should NOT be, and the addition of cedar strikes me as a gimmick. While I drank my 8oz, it was only in the hope of it improving, which it didn't.

11-12-2009 14:33:29 | More by DefenCorps
UCLABrewN84

2.85/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to ehammond1 for sharing this at DarthKostrizer's tasting.

Pours a murky honey orange with a beige head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, caramel, earth, citrus zest, and some cedar wood. Taste is of malt, dirt, ashes, earth, and damp wood. There is a medium amount of bitterness with each sip. This beer has a pretty good level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer with a better smell than taste.

06-03-2012 20:34:42 | More by UCLABrewN84
champ103

2.88/5  rDev -29.1%

A big thanks to jenray for the generous surprise. This is an IPA aged on Spanish Cedar.

A: Pours an incredibly cloudy copper/orange color. Way to much suspended sediment that detracts for me. A large white head forms, but gently fades to a ring. Not much lace to speak of.
S: The cedar is very prominent. Musky wood, almost moldy wood even. Some citrus tries to break through, but with no avail.
T: A little better. The cedar takes an up front and center seat here. Though more IPA does come through. Bitter grapefruit is dominate in the finish.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Not nearly dry enough for me though. This is a bit of a chore to finish. Not something I will come back to.

Overall, an interesting idea. Though poor execution IMO. Way to much wood takes over, and not much else. I am glad I tried it, but not something I would recommend.

03-31-2011 01:45:32 | More by champ103
AgentZero

2.95/5  rDev -27.3%

A - Dark amber color, with some brownish tints. Small white head. Some retained sticking on the sides during the drink that slid down back into the beer very quickly.

S - Wow, super huge wood smell right off the bat, smells almost like gin. Something quite spicy in there, maybe spicey soy sauce or horse radish. Also a lot of cigar smell in there, like it sat in tobacco or something. Very unique.

T - Really hard to describe what is going on here. Huge woody taste, some very hot spice going on here, and it really does taste like it was filtered through tobacco. There is some hops present but all the wood and tobacco taste kills in.

M - Lighter side of medium, decently carbonated.

D - Taste really kills this one for me, maybe my pallate is not sophisticated enough for this, but I just can't do it.

04-18-2010 01:33:35 | More by AgentZero
Arbitrator

2.98/5  rDev -26.6%

Chilled 750mL into a glass. A generous extra from Jw347. Thanks Johnathan!

A: Pours an extremely cloudy amber color that glows a diffuse orange against the light. Great-looking body that would be improved by some clarity. With some inspection I can see bubbles streaming up the glass. The pour results in 1.5 fingers of creamy, off-white head that retains for several minutes before retreating into a light cap on top of the brew. Leaves some dribbles of lacing down the sides of the glass. I like my IPAs clear, unfortunately.

S: Wow, they really take the cedar to heart. Very tannic and earthy, with an herbal note to it. The hops are almost an afterthought, or perhaps they're fading a bit. There's some dankness in there, with citrus hops coming last. The smell really stands out on this one; I'm having a great time just sniffing it and not sipping (I like cedar). Not a great nose if you're looking for IPA characteristics, though.

T: Initially malty with a caramel flavor, but it gets hoppy midway through with, as the nose suggests, citrus and a stronger pine/weed flavor. Dank, earthy pull into the finish, which is fairly tannic (if I can be honest, TOO much so) and surprisingly dry. A lingering bitterness with some pepper in the aftertaste.

M: Medium-bodied. Well carbonated. I don't like lingering bitterness in beers, and the bubbles in this one do a decent, but not great, job of staving it off. Kind of a chewy body.

D: A very distinct flavor and one I appreciate. But a bit much to have on a regular basis. Definitely a brewery to keep an eye on, though.

09-11-2009 09:44:47 | More by Arbitrator
jrallen34

2.98/5  rDev -26.6%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into an Orval glass.

The beer pours a medium orange with a bright white head that rises about a finger, but gone pretty quick. Light lacing.

The aroma is very unique, took a couple minutes to place the smell, but finally realized the front is tobacco leaves and a hint of horesradish. There is a slight amount of smoke, very unique but flavors that probably shouldn't be in a beer.

The taste is also all tobacco, its like drinking an ipa that was filtered through fresh tobacco leaves. Once again, supremely unique but not drinkable at all. The finish has a hint of pine.

Overall, different but just not drinkable. If you're a smoker give it a shot.

04-18-2010 01:20:55 | More by jrallen34