Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009)
mrmiles

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%

My first Cigar City beer becomes my first review. A lovely item from Santa Deuane. Thanks Deuane!

A: Poured into a Stone pint glass, color is light orange when held to the light with rather large bubbles rising to the surface. Half finger head with good retention.

S: Initial smell is piney hops with a strong cedar back bone. Pretty much as advertised. Hints of citrus but not much.

T: Taste is very similar to the smell, but with a stronger citrus flavor on the front end than I had expected given the smell. Cedar is very powerful on the back end almost overpowering the malts however there is a slight caramel malt presence that appears in a delayed aftertaste. Interesting.

M: The larger bubbles noticed in the pour really come through here as the foam spreads throughout the mouth upon drinking. Making this beer seem more viscous than it might otherwise.

D: The mustyness of the cedar might throw some people off, but I quite enjoy it. It's a rather heavy beer and at 1pt 9oz it might be too much for most. 1 bottle will be more than enough for me.

Overall I'm really glad I've gotten to try this as it is a neat departure from the traditional IPA I'm used to. I would definitely drink this again.

Thanks Deuane.

12-23-2010 04:34:27 | More by mrmiles
cpetrone84

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

Re-review November 14th 2011

Pours a deep slightly hazed copper orange with a full off white head with medium to large bubbles. The nose has a fair bit of lemon and orange peel with a slight phenolic twang behind a strong sweet sugary malt. The cedar may be playing in there blending with the citric flavors. The flavor is very similar, still a slightly off twang, lots of sweet malts and overly sugary, strong citric orange peel and lemon, touch of sweet wood with some tinges of booze and and strong hop bitterness. The feel is full bodied and a touch creamy mixed with grainy. Light carbonation and a bit of a muddled semi dry finish.

***
Huge extra from HeyOhh, amazing trader!

A-pours a hazy orange amber color with bubbles running up the side of the glass. The head is two or three full fingers of a slightly off white head that is fulffy and creamy. The retention is huge as it doesn't want to leave at all. The lace is thick and velvety covering the whole glass without let up.

S-the nose is quite big with cedar right up front and hints of vanilla underneath. Hops lie behind and have a solid presence. Herbal and floral hops are strongest with touches of pine needles

T-the taste follows the nose only bigger. The woody cedar is right up front with just a touch of vanilla. Hops take over with a strong herbal tea like presence, hints of floral hops with some tangerine in the back. Fresh pine needles in the finish as he bittering is light but present as well

M-medium body with a lightly syrupy texture and somewhat sandy on the palate. The carbontion is strong with a crisp bite at the finish.

D-this is a great IPA, the cedar has enhanced the piney hops and makes it taste so fresh. Nice hop presence with a light bittering so you can really enjoy.

11-16-2011 23:06:28 | More by cpetrone84
laituegonflable

Australia

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours a red-tinged deep amber colour with lovely beige head that webs out into sparse patterns, retaining a great crown of small but visible bubbles. Bit of cloud in the body. Looks great.

Smell is very funky and spicy. Not a huge whiff of rank though, rather there's some fresh floral notes on there but largely an earthy blend of aniseed, lavender and a touch of chicken batter. Intriguing, could really be more complex, it's all a bit one-note.

Taste is quite dour; gravelly and spicy with a mostly earthy palate. Starts bitter with soil notes, gets some organic spice midway with steamed bok choy, fennel and black pepper. Slight fruity bitterness on the back reminiscent of late-addition hops, but not a lot. The cedar just subjugates the palate and it's quite astringent and unpleasantly spicy. It really needs toning down, I can't say I'm a big fan.

Not bad feel, goes down quite smooth but a bit empty as it goes through the mouth.

Not an everyday drinker; it's too bold and yet doesn't clean itself up by the end of the palate.

08-30-2011 04:21:38 | More by laituegonflable
Stugotzo

11-17-2013 04:01:26 | More by Stugotzo
Steve_Oldrati

07-30-2013 18:04:54 | More by Steve_Oldrati
jsanford

Georgia

3.25/5  rDev -20%

A - Pours a cloudy orange-amber with a fluffy, khaki-colored head. Nice retention, leaves sticky, sudsy lacing.
S - Sweet caramel malt, pineapple, orange and cedar wood. Very cool to smell the cedar, it's obviously not the most common of beer ingredients.
T - Very close to the nose, mostly caramel, pineapple and orange peel with a pleasantly bitter finish. Again, the cedar is there, but it's nicely balanced. I feel like too much wood presence would really detract from this beer.
M - Medium-heavy body with a sticky mouthfeel and crisp, moderate carbonation.
D - It's good, but a bit sweeter then I'd like. May be tough to drink the bottle by myself.

I thin I'm gonna give up on Cigar City IPAs, just not my thing.

01-20-2011 00:18:37 | More by jsanford

01-19-2014 19:27:37 | More by Bartos
TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

Bottle purchased from Lueken's Liquors on-line. Date on label was JUN2012. It appears that this is well past its prime which is disappointing.

A -Poured a cloudy medium orange/amber colour with two fingers of bubbly white head with some great lacing.

S - Cigar smoke up front - the Spanish cedar really comes through. Sweet caramel and a light citrus aroma round out the nose. The hops are barely noticeable.

T - Follows the nose. The Spanish cedar really shines, creating a cigar-smoke like palate that is definitely the predominant flavour. The hop presence is barely noticeable, likely the result of this bottle not being very fresh. Sweet caramel malts and some muted pine notes round our the palate. Somewhat one dimensional.

M - Medium body with a good chew. Light carbonation.

O - Past its prime and one dimensional but interesting nonetheless.

11-16-2011 02:26:52 | More by TheSevenDuffs
zeledonia

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

Humidor Series IPA, 7.5% ABV. Aged on Barrel Mill Cedar Spirals. I can make out a date that looks like Jun 18 2013. Tasted 15 August 2013.

Pours a medium amber color. Clear but for a few floaties that I couldn't help stirring up. Half-finger of off-white head, okay retention, a little lacing. Meh.

Smell is different. It's definitely not full of the aromatic hops that many IPAs are these days, but it's got that bitter hop acid back with a lightly sweet caramel malt front. Heavy heavy heavy on the wood resin, like I'm drinking it out of a cedar chest almost.

Taste is a medium-bitter, straightforward IPA. Nothing notable about it. Nothing wrong with it, either, which I appreciate, given how many IPAs have off flavors. There's still a lot of cedar in the taste, too.

Feel is mediocre. Flattish, medium-bodied, a little sticky. The lack of carbonation bugs me, as the weight and sugar sit heavy on my tongue, dragging it down.

The truth is, I don't see much point in aging an IPA on wood (or really, on anything). It's weaker than their Jai Alai IPA in every way, and I just don't see the point. There are other beers that might gain more from cedar spiral aging, too. But it's drinkable.

08-16-2013 03:42:32 | More by zeledonia
beertunes

Washington

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

Received in a trade with NYBrews a couple moths ago, this one got lost in the back of the fridge until now. Poured into 16oz nonic. Poured over 4 inches of head on the initial pour, less than 1/8 inch of beer at the bottom. This problem would continue throughout the bottle. When there was finally enough beer to look at, the beer was a slightly hazy, very attractive orange-gold color.

The aroma was good, some malts showing through the citrusy hops. The flavors were also good, those same citrus hops on a nice malt base. Maybe I tasted a bit of cedar, or perhaps it was the power of suggestion.

The body was good, full, sharp and dry, but the finish was a bit harshly bitter. Drinkability was good, but is losing a half-point because I ended up drinking as much head as I did beer. Overall a pretty nice brew, almost a must try. You should give it a shot if you see it, and it's probably worth setting up a trade for.

10-07-2012 22:30:46 | More by beertunes
khiasmus

South Carolina

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

"I'm kind of a big deal, my library smells of rich mahogany..."
So it is with Cigar City, a big deal, small batches, cedar-aged IPAs(really?), the hype monster. So here's the first try at it, sitting in the library of rich mahogany with a puro and a CS Lewis book for good measure.
"I say, what a bit of alright! What of it, chaps?"
"Blimey! White pepper! Bakery-rolls and all, what with a bit of grapefruit to boot!"
"Lightly cloudy and little head, but what of a chance at rain? Heh heh..."
"Crikey! Here, lads, is a load of hops. A bloody monstrous bitter too, I say..."
"Well, after I dropped a bomb on this, I did expect to be gobsmacked, while this is a bit of a disappointment."
"Well I think it's bleeding ace."
"Write your own bloody review then."
"Stonking hopping, bitterness, and lemon-sour, then just a bit of white bread, cedar..."
"I think they made a blatant dog's dinner. What of all the chemical bits?"
"Well, horses for courses, I suppose."
"Low carbonation, watery, astringent, ill-balanced, bitter and spicy. I find little to enjoy in this."
"Well, there's little sense in waffling on and on... I'm a bit squiffy anyway."
"It was a fine piss up. Ta."
"Cheers mate."

09-14-2009 15:40:08 | More by khiasmus
mverity

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

Bottle from Proof Bottle Shop. Poured into a snifter. Clear amber orange with tiny white chunks suspended throughout. Some white head, thin white collar and poor lacing. Aroma is citrusy, sweet earthy cedar, some caramel, lots of orange, some grapefruit and lemon. Taste is mostly the cedar and orange/grapefruit with a touch of the medium malt. Mouthfeel is slightly under carbonated and a little thin too. I finally sat down to write this review after a few four packs over the past few years. Decent, but I'll take Jai Alai any day of the weeks.

05-16-2013 20:52:59 | More by mverity
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

Overall, I'm not sure the Cedar really works with this as it's so much cedar and grapefruit all around, but this grew on me as I drank it. Opened this last night with friends thanks to aepb1 for this as an extra in a recent trade.

A: Dark orange with gold highlights, this beer has a nice bubbly ring of white head with good retention and ok lacing.

S: For me, I think the cedar just makes this smell almost like fresh grapefruit juice and grapefruit rinds, but not in a hop way, in the pure bitter fruit way. Lots of cedar pulp, with some smoked malts in there as well. Kind of a weak aroma in terms of how much springs from the glass to me and friends drinking it, definitely unique.

T: Bigger palate and complexity here, again with an abundance of grapefruit pulp and rinds and sweet savory spicy cedar notes, both of those certainly dominating the flavor. Nice citrus and tropical fruit hops behind the grapefruit though and the woodsy smoked malt notes are pleasant. Seems dry and tobaccoish in ways, I can see how this would be good with a cigar as the label states.

M: Very biting grapefruit, it's a little astringent. Smoky charred feel somehow without the RIS like malt or porter char. Bitter finish. Ok.

Overall this is an interesting beer but not one I would ever buy myself, as it seems like a beer to only have with a cigar, by itself it is kind of bizarre and a little off-putting.

06-19-2011 13:43:16 | More by Dreadnaught33
BDLbrewster

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

First off thanks a ton for this goodie, my best to all who participated in the Football and Beer BIF.

Pours a very hazy ripe grain hued orange amber with a large frothy, sticky head. Large bubbles and tons of sticky lacing wrap up this category.

I don't get the huge amounts of cedar that a lot of the other reviews highlight in the smell. Mildly powerful pine resin is my first thought, oh wait. The more I sniff the more wood I get. Ha Ha. Sweet almost fruity malts make up a huge proportion of the odor as well along with a faint spice. Other than that not a whole lot going on here.

The cedar is epic in the flavor, it seems to drag down the plethora of other things going on in here. The spicy, piney hops put up one hell of a fight but ultimately fail in breaking through the woody forefront. The malty backbone is sturdy enough here and releases flavors resembling toffee and earthy grains. I would enjoy this a lot more without the heavy wood taste.

The mouthfeel is good, feels naturally carbonated in your mouth. Very large bubbles and not at all syrupy. This is the best part of this brew so far.

Overall, this beer really makes me want to try the non-cedar aged. I bet it is amazing. This brew is a knockout, but I just don't think that cedar aging is necessarily the best compliment to an already amazing IPA.

10-09-2009 01:06:31 | More by BDLbrewster