Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009

Reviewing from notes. 750ml bottle, poured into an Allagash 25cl glass

A: Pours an tangerine color, fairly opaque. My first pour yielded a 1 finger head, but I got 2 fingers worth on next pour. Pretty good retention. Leaves a tiny amount of lacing

S: There is mellow juicy citrus, accompanied by biscuit and caramel malts. Notes of wood (cedar) remind me of being in a cigar shop. Wonderful

T: Lots of citrus, orange and grapefruit. Nice hop pine bitterness follows. I detect a little vanilla from the aging process. Has a crisp, dry wood finish

M: Medium bodied. Dry, bitter aftertaste

D: This was a really tasty IPA. The cedar aging added nice complexity. Would definitely drink this again

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Big thanks to Dave (dukedevil0) for busting this out for New Beer "Saturday". Served in an Upland pint glass.

A - A couple fingers of darker blonde foam that dissipates and leaves some patchy lacing and a nice cap. Really dark and hazy glowing red-orange color - perhaps one of the darkest IPAs I've had in a while.

S - The smell is super-intense and full of cedar and ripe Valencia orange. I'm a little confused - the smell reminds me of cedar chests, orange wood polish, and tobacco, which I generally wouldn't associate with beer, but somehow it's good nonetheless. I think the hops and humidor have combined to create a dank earthy character which I also enjoy. I think the wood presence might be a little to aggressive at the expense of the IPA flavors.

T - The taste, while still having plenty of cedar, is less woody and more orange peel, tropical fruits, and piney hops. There's some nice doughy malt presence the balances things out. Some nice mild bitterness in the finish - I get the sense that most of the hop flavor has been imparted from dry-hopping, which has keep the alpha acids down.

M - The mouthfeel is similar to many of my other favorite IPAs - lower carbonation with only a touch of zing, chewy medium body, soft texture, and lots of residual resins.

D - The cedar flavor builds a little bit keeping this from being a super session beer, but the other qualities are eminently drinkable - great ABV, carbonation, solid taste. I'd have one of these to mix things up, but it would never be my go-to brew.

I'm guessing I'll like regular Jai Alai a little more, but this was an excellent brew nonetheless.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle shared by afdempse. Thanks Adam!

The beer is transparent and orange colored, sporting a half inch of white head. Lasting retention and ample lacing.

The aroma is unique and wonderful. A bold scent of freshly lit cigars and cigar smoke take center stage, followed by floral hops.

The taste is not quite as delectable and intriguing as the aroma, but well balanced and enjoyable nonetheless. I can understand why some may dislike this beer, as it is certainly not for everyone. When viewed solely as an IPA or DIPA, this will not hold its own when matched against the upper tier brews of this ilk. That said, Humidor IPA is a complex, unique, and creative brew to be sipped and savored. I applaud Cigar City for this "outside the box" beer. While I was not expecting to enjoy this nearly as much as I did, I would certainly have this again. Recommended.

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing