Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009)

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

A-hazy gold with white head and lacing through out
S-the cedar comes through predominately. I feel like I'm at a lumber store
T-wow very complex. The wood comes through and almost adds a sour taste to it. Nice balance with the hops
M-medium bodied, crisp and dry
O-decent brew. Cedar is overpowering...

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Had this on tap at the brewery a few weeks ago, but this review is from a 750 ml bottle, poured into a tulip.

A: Hazy burnt orange color. The pour produces a little over one finger of fluffy cream colored head that leaves great lacing.

A: Almost perfect nose. I get the simcoe and cascade hops, grapefruit, orange peel, and maybe some honey. But the cedar wood, just acentuates all of these flavors. It is distictly cigar cedar, it smell just like walking into a humidor.

T: Again very nice. I get everything I got in the nose. The cedar is definately different, but welcomed. This is a one of a kind taste. The beer finishes very dry, with no hint of the ABV.

M: Medium body, very good amount of carbonation, makes for a smooth semi-resinous mouthfeel.

D and overall impression: I could only drink one of these 750 ml bottles, not that I couldn't have more, but because of the complexity of this IPA, my palate is ruined. Overall, this is a fantastic beer. Cedar should become a staple for aging beer. Kudos again to Wayne and Joey, just great! Skal.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a pint glass. FINALLY, I get to drink this from a bottle. I had this on tap during a Cigar City event at Capone's during Philly Beer Week, but wasn't reviewing at the time. The first bottle I got in trade, I busted. :( So alas, I finally get to do this.

Beer pours a very murky golden-orange. Nearly opaque, which is odd for a beer that's not black (stout, etc). The head on this is voluminous, especially when pouring down the center. Very thick and creamy. Resembles the top of a rootbeer float. Head has serious staying power and provides copious amounts of lacing as it receded down the glass. The nose is heavy on the cedar. Not surprising considering it's the big draw. Usually I notice notice any maltiness in an IPA on the back end of a sip, and in the aftertaste. However, it's right in your face in the nose of this beer. The taste is a wonderful combination of hoppiness, cedar, and that maltiness I spoke of. I would prefer a little more hope and cedar, and a bit less maltiness, however. The mouthfeel is a bit smoky, with a good bit of bitterness. The malty overtones of this beer persist from the nose, straight through to the finish. Overall, this is a fabulous twist to the stock Jai Alai. Each taste is a sip of beer and a draw from a cigar at the same time. Nice treat. Glad I have 2 more in the fridge.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Served in a 24 oz. wine bottle at a local beer bar, I had to try due solely to its uniqueness and the fact that I will never be able to get this beer again. Served in a Watou goblet.

Beer was relatively clear, aged on cedar it gave it an interesting depth that I had not tasted in other beers. I am not usually a fan of Oak-aged beers, but I know they are aged to mellow them, the cedar imparted an interesting, albeit good, smoothness to this beer. It would not be fair to classify this beer as a hop bomb, although the bar tender could not tell me the ABV, I assumed it was in the 8% range. I was feeling no pain by the end. Head was steady and persistent to the end. An impressive beer all around. It is a shame that I have not gotten to explore Cigar City more.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

A - A caramel golden color. Nice 1 finger head and sticky lace all over the glass.

S - Piny hops and cedar. Wow, excellent...

T - Cedar and pine hops. Grapefruit galore. Sweet.

M - Medium bodied and well carbonated.

O - A very good IPA. Cedar adds a great touch, but is not overwhelming. An excellent version of the Jai Alai

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing