1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 865 | Reviews: 447 | Show All Ratings:
shizzyraw

1.33/5  rDev -67.2%

Served on cask at Capone's in Norristown on 06/08/2011 during their Deschutes event.

Appearance - Looks like grapefruit juice mixed with protein powder. A mudish, orangish brown. No head what so ever with a bit of lacing. Honestly doesn't look like anything that I have ever seen before.

Smell - Like a lumber yard. I actually had a flash back of walking through a lumber yard with my father when I was a kid. There is some citrus mixed in there, but the cedar masks it almost entirely.

Taste - OMG. Cedar. It just kicks you in the teeth, hard. I almost spit it back in my glass. There is some grapefruit and black pepper notes, but yikes, the cedar just simply wrecked my palate. And not in a good way. The aftertaste is pure cedar, which compounds with each additional sip. One word comes to mind, gross. I couldn't get halfway through it before I sent it back.

Mouthfeel - Like it should be consumed with a spoon. I like my Stouts thick, but not my IPAs. Almost no carbonation.

Notes - When I looked at the taplist, I said, "Hmm, never had a cedar aged beer before." Now I know why. Oak or Bourbon barrels compliment or enhance the beer it is aging. Based on this initial encounter, cedar completely changes a beer into cedar juice. Perhaps this would have tasted better ice cold as opposed to from a cask. Maybe a little chill on it would have helped mellow out that hash cedar taste.

I found this video review AFTER I penned mine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Ypfid_5dM , their faces are priceless

06-10-2011 18:04:47 | More by shizzyraw
Rifugium

1.5/5  rDev -63.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

First had: firkin from Capone's, Norristown, PA

I hate to do this really, but I'm going to review this beer, even though I'm very sure it was a bad pour, and/or infected, and/or most likely the very bottom of the barrel, so to speak. It was so bad, I actually showed it to the waitress and got my money back for it. Hopefully I can try this one again, and actually have a good sampling.

Poured an ugly, murky chocolate milk color, almost looked like tea with milk in it. I knew something was wrong right away. No carbonation, no head; ugly stains on the sides of the glass. The smell was very hoppy, with tones of guava and grapefruit, but mostly, it smelled like old paint cans. Yikes. Actually the first thought that came to my mind was: this smells like the homes I used to do maintenance on in Camden when I was working with my grandfather during my high school years. Ah, memories...bad ones.

A cautious sip yielded an extremely intense hoppy taste, thick and very bitter, heavy with cedar. My wife looked at me with loving disgust as I ventured another sip, but that was it for this one. After a while, it started to settle as it sat, with most of the murk sinking to the bottom half, and something that could have been an IPA rising to the top, but again, I wasn't going for it again. Well, now at least I know what the bottom of a firkin tastes like. Either that, or cedar is not something beer should be aged in. Still better than Budweiser.

06-10-2011 13:44:38 | More by Rifugium
Kadonny

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Third person in a row reviewing this beer from the firkin at Capones in Norristown PA during PBW. Poured from firkin into a regular pint glass.

A: Immediately I looked and thought of apple cider. Exact same color as fresh apple cider. A real murky, chunky brownish orange color with very minimal head. Not much glass lacing.

S: Cedar aged? You bet it is. Huge (I mean huge) smell of cedar coupled with the citric hops and sweet caramel malt. Still, the cedar seems to overpower the other smells.

T: First sip brings cedar (shocking) but it does get mixed with the classic Jai Alai citrus hops and heavy caramel sweetness. Pineapple, orange and slight grapefruit rind give some woody bitterness that quickly gives way to the heavy caramel sweetness. Cedar flavors stick throughout. Finish for me turned sweet, especially as it warmed. At the end of the glass the beer got very sweet upon finish. I'm not getting a drying finish at all as someone else mentioned. Woody sweetness here.

M: Sweet, full, woody, alcohol well hidden slight bitterness.

O: Ok, I'm going to be different here and say I enjoyed this a bit. I like the cedar idea, but it for sure needs toning down to allow the Jai Alai flavors to come out more. I will disagree with the 2 other reviews and say I had no problem finishing the glass, but I can say I didn't want another one.

Overall this was a very interesting beer that I was still very glad to try. As I said, tone down the cedar a bit and see how that turns out. A rare beer (via cask no less) that I'm super happy Matt at Capones was able to secure. Nicely done whether you like the beer or not.

06-09-2011 16:46:50 | More by Kadonny
Centennial

1.58/5  rDev -61.1%

Appearance - really??? is this the bottom of my latest primary fermenter or a finished beer? Murky like grapefruit juice mixed 50/50 with half and half.

Smell - cedar closet, cedar chest, fresh cut cedar.

Taste - ughh, cedar again? Did I just lick my cedar closet? maybe some hops but the cedar kills them quick.

Mouthfeel - unfiltered, medium bodied, but thick. Like the last pour of a 1/2 keg of a rich heffeweizen. Again a big "Ughhhh".

Overall - based on this beer, cedar is the last species of wood I would choose to age my beer in, regardless of style, go lick some cedar and see if you want your beer infused with the flavor.

Just read the review below and wondering if cigar city sent us some bottom of the barrel crap jai alai for beer week? Calling all old Jai alai bottles, you are wanted to join a special cask of recycled "humidor series" I would love to post a picture of this murky mess!

I recall telling the bartender "that was the hardest beer to get through in a long time!" If that is not saying something then i don't know what will.

06-07-2011 05:21:08 | More by Centennial
mfunk9786

2.1/5  rDev -48.3%

Had this beer out of a firkin at Capone's during Philly Beer Week.

Overheard someone at another table say "my first sip was horrible, but I guess I'm warming up to it." I guess I had the opposite experience, and so did my friend who ordered the same beer. Not sure if this beer is the same out of the bottle as it was on cask, but what we had was major league woodsy. And not woodsy in a good way. The beer was an appealingly cloudy orange, suggesting a Jai Alai with a dark secret. Some secrets are best left hidden. Upon sniffing this beer, the cedar that we'd been so charged up about was evident, but the wonderful tropical fruit notes that make Jai Alai so unique were still peeking through admirably. I was very excited to take a sip. Until I took one. I convinced myself that I needed another to truly appreciate this brew. And another. And another. It was just dreadful. Majorly medicinal wood character combined with a bone dry finish that left a minty herbal note in my breath, and I don't mean that in a good way. I wanted this gone. I haven't chugged a beer like I did Jai Alai Cedar Aged IPA since I needed to dispose of a warm Natural Light in college.

06-07-2011 05:20:23 | More by mfunk9786
CampusCrew

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow.. just had this again on cask and I had to reiew. What an intresting complex IPA!

appearance: amberish cloudy mess. not that appealing.

smell: heavy citrus and some nice cedar aroma meshed in.

taste: loaded IPA, almost double. decently balanced and loads of citrus, more the bitter ornage taste. cedar was present but not dominate. The cedar has a similar taste to hop flavor.

mouthfeel: medium bodied to full for an IPA

drinkability: overall a great beer and even better on cask

06-03-2010 22:53:23 | More by CampusCrew
jf60657

3.4/5  rDev -16.3%

Drank @ work off a cask.

Poured a cloudy yellow with a nice thick head into a standard 4oz tasting glass. Pretty murky for an IPA but thats not a problem. Head was about finger thick and receded quickly.

Nose was of fresh grapefruit and just a tiny bit of wood. I also got some sugary tones like melted watermelon jolly ranchers. If you take the wood out it smelled like every other big, citrusy IPA I've had as of late. There was a slight peaty smell as well.

Tasted it and BANG, HOPS! Pretty much a hoppy grapefruit spritzer mixed with a picket fence. I wanted the candy tones I smelled to come in and rescue this beer but it did not happen. Unbalanced and a little confused, this beer was interesting but by no means great. After a few sips it turned into a yawner. Hops, hops, hops. Yeah, I get it.

Mouthfeel was viscous and warm. A little oily and chewy.

I had 8 oz's of this and I was set. Did not want more

05-29-2010 19:39:26 | More by jf60657
ktrillionaire

4.63/5  rDev +14%

On-cask at Datz Deli, served with Sunday brunch.

A - It appears an iced tea hue, way cloudy (turbid), no head. On par with the cask norm.

S - Smells of humidor cedar, apple cinnamon, and black pepper.

T - Tastes of super humidor cedar, less black pepper than usual, lots of tobacco notes. Outstanding!

M - It appears still and does have a scant level of carbonation. And yet it works so well.

D - An amazing brew, this Humidor IPA; it is the soul of Tampa, fermented.

05-17-2010 16:57:24 | More by ktrillionaire
Slatetank

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

This is one of the most unique cask beers I think I have had the chance to try. I had a 10oz half pint at cask temp.

A - The color is a murky hazed (due to lack of cask finings) color of apricot with smallish head of cream

S - The smell is a strange but pleasant blend of piney hops and cedary woodiness w/ a light fruit ester

M - The mouthfeel is intensely hopped upfront with a astringent/resinous cedar bark texture which leaves the palate dry - medium body, a bit on the thin side of 7.5%

T - The taste is good, but not great as the hops are sligthly overpowered by the cedar, there is a nice Ipa flavor with mild fruit and subtle citrus of the hops, but it seems like they just went overboard with the cedar to prove to you that this is Really REALLY a cedar beer and IPA second. I love the experimentation, but when in balance with the total beer in mind

D - I will sum up here with a good, but not great along the lines of the taste portion of the review. I could probably only handle a 1/2 pint to be honest. I like the way cedar smells and Jai Alai is a decent IPA, but the combination seems to detract slightly for me rather enhance the drinking experience -just my .02

03-25-2010 16:36:30 | More by Slatetank
akorsak

A cask offering at the General Sutter. Hot damn!

A: The IPA is unfiltered, looking like pulpy orange juice, only much darker, in my glass. The thickness renders thea le opaque. As with may cask offerings, there isn't much head.

S: The nose rocks. Sweetly bitter citrus rinds up front yield to white pepper at the end. I'm not sure what cedar aging adds, but the ale has a strong wooden scent that further accentuates the pepper.

T: The ale is a juxtaposition of flavors, sweet at first but quite hot at the end. The oranges stand out at first, sweet and juicy with a does of rind bitterness. The sweetness quickly transitions into a spicy pepper heat. The black and white peppercorns nip at the tongue with a bit of cayenne sharpness. The ale is very filling, as though the pulpy look adds heft to the body. A good dose of caramel malts serves as a foundation for the hops, which don't disappoint. Even on cask, this beer is hot.

M: The mouthfeel is sweet and spicy, zesty and full. I was down on Cigar City unti this beer. I really dig it.

D: Doesn't feel like almost 8%. The combination of orange and pepper is what makes the ale click.

03-14-2010 00:49:36 | More by akorsak
Billolick

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Cask offering at Rattle N hum in NYC. This unfiltered, barrell aged brew pours cloudy medium amber, lighter tan head, typical sheeting and lace. I get mostly grapefruit on the nose with maybe a glimmer of cedar in the rear. Soft on the tongue, with low carbonation, ample fruity hops, again with a healthy dose of grapefruit. Tasty hopped up IPA from the sunshine state. The cedar here was lost on me.

03-07-2010 14:38:25 | More by Billolick
brentk56

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance: Arrives with a cloudy apricot nectar appearance; the creamy head leaves plenty of lace behind

Smell: Toffee malt and grapefruit pith; hints of cedar

Taste: Toffee malt flavors up front, joined by the cedar and followed with a blast of pithy grapefruit that arrives by mid-palate; after the swallow, the subtle cedar elements are detectable in the bitterness, though the beer is more about the fruity hops

Mouthfeel: Medium body with creamy carbonation

Drinkability: Don't know if I am the biggest fan of the cedar; it adds an interesting element and is definitely worth a try (Note - I liked it a lot better in the bottle than on cask.)

02-26-2010 20:33:18 | More by brentk56
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

On cask and also on tap at Cigar City takes NYC event at Rattle 'N' Hum. Great bitterness, with cedar and complexity. Had again on cask bringing out big aromas, graperuit and orange.
Taste was bolder on tap, with appropriate carbonation. A pioneer cedar, settting the bar.

02-21-2010 18:18:42 | More by Sammy
dudecandle

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Cask into shaker at Rattle n Hum Cigar City night:

A: Orange-mango, murky body with soapy off-white head

S: Mango, herbal hops, and apples

T: The mango remains the strongest flavor from the hops, but the herb is well represented. The apples really show up on the finish, giving the beer a nice progression from fruit to fruit. The cedar gives a pleasant dynamic, but nothing all-too-significant. Definitely some caramel sweetness going on throughout.

M: It was on cask, so it was a bit thin, but the long finish was very respectable.

D: Hops don't really pop, but there's a nice variety among them. It's pretty well-balanced, and I think the cedar really mellows it out.

02-18-2010 20:12:25 | More by dudecandle
da_beers

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Gainesville House of Beer - on-tap

A - pours a clear burnt orange. 1.5 fingers of thick off white head. Nice carbonation coming up.

S - earthy, oak, some citrus. A lot like the base Jai Alai but much more woody! Great nose.

T - sweet malts at the front, in comes this nice woodiness and slight smokiness. Hops are so perfectly placed and balanced. This is what its cracked up to be! Has nice spice notes in there as well.

M - medium body, very drinkable. Carbonation isn't a whole lot going down, but nice.

O - great. Could drink a few. Definitely feel the 7.5. Very good, as all CCB is.

04-11-2014 22:14:12 | More by da_beers
rlee1390

Indiana

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

A-Semi cloudy yellow-orange, nice carbonation, one finger head that tries to leave some lacing.

S-Wood, oak, spice, lots of spice, some earthy notes, not much citrus.

T-Good deal of wood and spices. Earthy, some dirt and grass. but the spice is the main flavor. Some bitterness.

M-Medium bodied, nice carbonation.

O-The cedar dominates the beer, the citrus/tropical notes of the base beer are overpowered by the oak.

Serving type: can

04-11-2014 18:41:01 | More by rlee1390
Pintofbrown

Iowa

4.49/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this in a snifter. Bottled on date 1/23/13.

Bright copper body with some darker auburn highlights, the cap is a dense, orangey-white foam that builds to almost two-finger's. It leaves behind a good amount of sheet lacing on its slow decay.

Whoa! That is a spicy nose! Fragrant dried tobacco leaves and woodiness almost sting the nostrils, this mingles with a peach-y and mango-like tropical quality. Man, that bouquet is so spiced and sweet, and pouring out of the glass. There also feels like a honey-ish scent is buried, too. Honestly, it may just be the wonderful fragrant spice that keeps delivering new hits with each new sniff.

The palate of flavors plays almost exactly like the nose. And there is nothing wrong with that. The herbal, woody, tobacco-like, peppery fragrance blends with a sweet tropical accent, with a nice bittering resin flavor on the finish. Some slight grass-like flavors also develop with a crackery malt base as the finish progresses.

This Humidor offering is more bitter, and therefore lends a drying finish. The hops do a nice job of clinging long to the cheeks, with a medium heft rounding things out.

This was a fantastic beer and quite unlike anything that has crossed this palate before. The cedar imparts some fantastic spiced qualities that make it almost impossible to not take another drink. And as a lover of the little green wonder buds, this beer delivers a great bitter kiss with notes of sweet tropical fruits to add to the complex and spiced character. Truly a special beer, and one that should certainly be experienced if given the the opportunity.

01-14-2014 12:24:57 | More by Pintofbrown
LambicPentameter

Kansas

3.79/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed out of a 12 oz brown bottle that I received as part of a Cigar City sampler pack. There is a bottling date engraved (?) on the curve of the bottle where the neck meets the body, but it is a bit marred. From what I can tell, it looks like a bottling date of 10/6/2013. Poured into the IPA-specific Speigelau glass for maximum IPA-ness.

Appearance - Looks much like the base beer, Jai Alai, with the overall tone being a ruddy orange-copper color, but this one has a bit more reddish element to it. There is a noticeable amount of particulate in the glass, showing off the fact that this is an unfiltered IPA. Atop the body sits a frothy head of about two fingers that begins to dissipate slowly almost immediately. However, it moves at a snail's pace, and never completely dissipates. As it shrinks, it leaves healthy sheets of lacing on the side of the glass, as well as some faint rings that eventually disappear with time.

Smell - Notes of tropical fruit, again much like the base beer, but there is another element there that is hard to detect on it's own, but definitely changes the characteristic of the IPA. Some faint woodiness and the pleasant bite of astringency. I was hoping for more cedar characteristic, but approaching three months after bottling, I suppose that hope is misplaced. Still a nice smelling IPA.

Taste - The wood is a little more present here, with some subtle spice imparted by the cedar, but then the tropical hops are again present with mango and pineapple, but with a malt profile that is heftier than I initially detected from the smell. Rye biscuit and toasted whole grain bread along with some grapefruit bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel - Light-to-medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a somewhat bitter aftertaste.

Overall, it's hard to be a fair judge of this beer, given the age it's seen and the likelihood that said age has hindered the flagship characteristic of this beer--the cedar. However, it is a nice IPA in it's own right and I'm impressed that the hops have held up well, especially in contrast to the cedar. Would love to try this a tad fresher sometime.

01-08-2014 05:22:39 | More by LambicPentameter
maxcoinage

4.18/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured 12oz bottle (no date) into tulip with a 2 in white head that took it's time to settle down, left some strong lacing on glass. Color is amber / orangish

Aroma - smells like a humidor! The cedar definitely dominates, some citrus and pine if you can get beyond the woodiness.

Taste - some good maltiness and hop bite but still the cedar shines through on this. the finish seems like it's a normal IPA bitter finish but then the cedar lingers at the end

Mouthfeel - medium to strong carbonation and a decent body. nice and easy drinking

Overall - While this is an intriguing twist, I prefer the regular Jai Alai. As suggested on the bottle, I think this would pair fansticially with a cigar, but given the 12 inches of snow on my porch, don't think that is going to happen any time soon. Would love to get some more of this later in the year. Got this bottle as an extra in a trade from velcogrip

01-01-2014 22:03:17 | More by maxcoinage
fmccormi

3.56/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Straight pour from a 12oz pry-off bottle to a teku; bottling date of November 7, 2013 printed in some sort of dark-ish ink on the shoulder of the bottle (“Bottled on 11/07/13”), making this bottle a week old on the date of consumption. Yep, one week. Huzzah for freshness.

Appearance (4.25): Sure is an attractive beer: a good two fingers milk-white foam rises off of the pour, capping a rich orange-amber body with a moderate chill haze. The head shows decent retention, dying down relatively slowly and leaving a thick collar and thin film at the surface. A few nice splotches and thick legs here and there.

Smell (3.25): This is quiiite a unique aroma—honestly not sure what to make of it at first. Must be the cedar? There’s an herbal-spicy scent that’s almost sulfurous, but a little woody and spicy like mustard, almost (though that side of it is lighter). Some fruity, slightly resinous hops underneath it, but the aroma really is dominated by what must be the cedar. To be fair, the fruity hops come in to balance out the cedar a bit more as it warms.

Taste (3.5): Following the aroma at first, with that funky, at turns sulfurous cedar, but the hops character is much clearer and more prominent here: that weird, woody-botanical tang accompanied by a bit of spiciness, sitting next to a juicy citrus component with sweet red grapefruit, some of the melony richness of papaya, and then a moderately sharp red grapefruit bitterness in the close, as the beer finishes crisp and dry. Some of the slightly spicy, woody-botanical cedar character (which I recognize now is unmistakeable) permeates every aspect of the flavor, from start to finish. Is there malt in here? Yeah, I suppose so. A little rich peasant bread and toasted wheat bread underneath the hops and melding with the cedar. Certainly is unique.

Mouthfeel (4.25): Smooth bodied, a slightly oily just-under-medium-weight, with a moderately velvety carbonation that foams easily but subtly, dies out before too long, and washes down cleanly with a dry, but not parching or astringent, finish. No booze at all.

Overall (3.5): So, the base beer here is killer—Jai Alai is always on point and an absolute joy to drink. The cedar aging adds a very unique dimension to it, though, which is impossible to ignore because it is front and center. It also mutes/covers up some of the hoppiness that makes Jai Alai so damn good, too, but not entirely. So, basically, in the end what you have here is a very solid IPA with an extremely unique treatment that has the potential to be very polarizing. I’m on the fence about how I feel about it, in the end, but I’m glad I’ve tried it. In the future, though, I’ll probably just stick to Jai Alai.

11-15-2013 02:21:17 | More by fmccormi
facundoCNB

4.41/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

a hazy orange in color with a finger of head (great retention). smells of cedar... wooooah boy does this smell of cedar, and oh man do i fucking love the smell of cedar! as with cedar, it has an almost cinnammon spice note to it, there is a caramel aroma as well, but let's not kid around, this smells like straight up cedar. oh fuck yes, the flavor.. it's overpowered by cedar as well! lots of bittering hops work so darn well with this wood, a nice caramel malty body.. this is excellent. i feel i may be a bit biased due to the wood, but man this is fucking delicious. medium body with low carbonation.

if you are a carpenter or have ever worked construction, you will appreciate the hell out of this beer. cedar is one of the most irritable woods out there, but as well it is one of the most awesome smelling woods. this is pretty much their jai alai (one of my favorite ipa's) aged with cedar spirals (my favorite wood).. how the fuck do you expect me not to love it??!

09-01-2013 01:13:39 | More by facundoCNB
aMILESupreme

4.95/5  rDev +21.9%

A: I love the hazy unfiltered appearance, but to some i understand it can be off putting.

S: Smell is perfect. the amazing smell that accompanies a fresh Jai Alai but with the complexity of the unique cedar infusion.

T: Just great. this is a beer i get something different out of every time i drink one. its like great record, always something to discover in this complex beauty.

O: One of my favorite CCB beers. Key is dont wait on this one. hops seem to fade fast. the complexity and uniqueness of this beer is one in a million.

08-22-2013 22:49:23 | More by aMILESupreme
IPAdams

3.74/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- pours an orange amber with an inch white head that lingers for a little and leaves some lacing. A lot of visible yeast.

Smell- lots of citrus hops with just a hint of the oak.

Taste- oak is a bit more noticeable here than in the smell. Starts very woody with hints of vanilla, then a mix of caramel and citrus hops. Moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel- good medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

Overall- very good beer, the woody flavors are offset by the citrus hops and it makes for a very tasty mixture

08-20-2013 23:34:50 | More by IPAdams
alaimoa

Connecticut

4.1/5  rDev +1%

12oz bottle which looks to have been bottled June 2013
A: murky amber with off-white 1 inch head and lacing that fully coats glass while lingering. lots of floaties in the glass
S: pretty awesome if you ask me, it smells exactly like a cigar humidor which isn't a typical aging wood used with beers (Cedar I think). Sweet humidor aromas with a touch of cherry notes
T: upfront sweetness, cigar/cedar in the front without much biting hop profile and smooth malt notes really shine through in the back. medium/wet finish which I could imagine pairing great with a cigar
M: medium carbonation, not very aggressive, smooth, subtle creaminess, not overly dry/bitter

Overall seems like a wide range of opinions on this beer, I come away very impressed and yes, its different than the standard Jai Alai but something very unique with the cedar/cigar notes and a really nice sweet malty backbone that isn't as sticky as some of the Rye IPAs I've had. Nice balance and mouthfeel. Would most definitely have again and look to seek out if available

08-20-2013 22:59:01 | More by alaimoa
tectactoe

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I forgot who sent this to me as an extra, but to whomever it was: thanks! Wasn't a huge fan of the White Oak Jai Alai, contrary to much of the community, so I was excited to see how this one faired. It pours a rustic copper color; mostly opaque with little, tiny floaters hanging all around like the inside of a shop window. Chunky, fluffy, and lasting is the creamy, eggshell colored head; nice, splotchy lacing is left all over the glass.

Walk into your local cigar shop and head to the back of the room where the keep the "best" cigars. You know, inside of the special, sealed room with specific insulation, walls and shelves of cedar, and an expensive environmental control system to keep the temperature and humidity at a perfect and constant level. Stand in the middle of this room. Inhale. That's the aroma of Cedar Aged Jai Alai, more or less.

Smells like a cigar shop, no joke. Polished cedar, wood, and even spicy hints of tobacco. There's an underlying touch of finishing citric hops, but much like the White Oak Jai Alai, the wood asserts its dominance and obliterates almost any trace of hops on the nose. Luckily though (at least, in my opinion) the cedar is a much more enjoyable smell than white oak. I love the way cigar shops smell, and I love how closely this beer resembles it.

The taste is also reminiscent of a cigar shop; very, very woody and cedar-y with mild phenol and ashy hints. It's like sucking on a splinter of cedar. Very light orange and pineapple are there, buried deep under the floorboards made of cedar - the only remnants left of what was once a bright, fruity, Floridian IPA. This beer is actually quite sweet and spicy, with not much hop bitterness at all. It's kind of boozy, but I think some of that is feigned by the intense woodiness.

It feels nice on the palate, too. Medium bodied, kind of creamy, with moderate carbonation. Overall, it's definitely one of the more unique beers I've had. I mean, really, it smells like you're sticking your head inside of a humidifier. It's actually quite nice to smell, though the taste doesn't translate the same awesomeness to the palate 100%. Much better than the White Oak Aged Jai Ali, but I still prefer the original. Nevertheless - try this at least once for its originality.

08-19-2013 21:14:53 | More by tectactoe