Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

I wasn't sure what this was when I bought it as there's really no marking on the bottle. It just has the Humidor series label. Luckily BA had all of the information I needed!

It poured a golden-amber body with a slight haze beneath a creamy head of off-white foam. The head retention was excellent, and it displayed some very good lacing.

The aroma was initially malty with a bit of caramel, and then leafy and slightly herbal hops (or does it appear herbal because of the cedar?). Then the nose adjusted and the cedar became quite clear. It was kind of perfumey, and I guess a little bit like cedarwood as well.

In the mouth it was full-bodied, creamy, and smooth with a very fine-bubbled median carbonation due to bottle conditioning.

The flavor was malty and gently caramelish with a toasty edge, and minty and spicy hops (or, again, is that the cedar peeking through?). A rock-solid bitterness anchored it, leading into a dry finish. The cedar came on at the swallow, and then lingered nicely, but faded before the hop flavors and bitterness did.

Not having had the Jai Alai before, I'm not sure how different this beer really is. My guess is that the standard Jai is a fairly basic and drinkable English-style IPA. The cedar was interesting, however, and I found it quite intriguing, and a bit charming. I didn't find it to be a quaffer though, I found myself treating it more like a sipping beer. I would enjoy a taste or two and then put it down for a bit. Again, not having ever tasted the Jai Alai, I have no point of reference, but I will say this: I'd gladly buy another couple bottles to enjoy, and possibly age a bit. (1,635 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +6.5%

750 ml capped bottle into a couple of tulip glasses.

Pours a crystal clear copper, with 2 fingers of foamy slightly off-white colored head that has a bit of a shine on it! This retains with about a 1/3 of a finger or so of rich froth, which coats the sides of the glass with a creamy cascade that settles into thick patches of lace. That Spanish cedar jumps out immediately, with a woody spiciness that mingles effortlessly with the floral, piney, and slightly herbal smelling tones of the hops. Bright citric hops sits underneath, both bitter and more sweet with fruit, while the malts give this a toasted biscuit presence underneath that props the hops up nicely.

The taste is bitter with grapefruit and light sticky resins, along with some juicy tropical fruit that is all backed up by caramel sweetness and the bready grains of the malts. The cedar is felt throughout and actually helps mellow the overall profile while coming out strongly in the finish with a satisfying spiciness that lingers with some bitter leafiness and pine. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a REALLY smooth and mellow feel that has just enough sharpness to it to stay crisp. Some very light warmth hangs in the throat but the alcohol is hid very well here and really keeps this drinking nicely.

I enjoyed this. The cedar was prominent but not overpowering, while that well balanced lush hop character still shined brightly and it was all wrapped up in a smooth and very easy drinking body. I liked this much more than the regular Jai Alai. (1,527 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep murky amber color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of fruity citrus, grassy hops, caramelized malts and earthy notes that come from the cedar aging.

T: The taste starts out with a burst of mint-like spice that is quickly followed by a strong hops bitterness. Then some caramel and citrus sweetness comes in along with a hearty malt character to provide a good balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly hoppy. As compared to the regular Jai Alai IPA, the cedar aging seems to add spiciness, mellow out the hops and bring out the sweetness.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, good kick, very good representation of style, although this is a nice beer and the cedar aging adds some complexity I feel like if it ain't broke don't fix it. I loved the regular Jai Alai IPA and think that it's better without the cedar aging. (1,089 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -10.5%

This is one of the most unique cask beers I think I have had the chance to try. I had a 10oz half pint at cask temp.

A - The color is a murky hazed (due to lack of cask finings) color of apricot with smallish head of cream

S - The smell is a strange but pleasant blend of piney hops and cedary woodiness w/ a light fruit ester

M - The mouthfeel is intensely hopped upfront with a astringent/resinous cedar bark texture which leaves the palate dry - medium body, a bit on the thin side of 7.5%

T - The taste is good, but not great as the hops are sligthly overpowered by the cedar, there is a nice Ipa flavor with mild fruit and subtle citrus of the hops, but it seems like they just went overboard with the cedar to prove to you that this is Really REALLY a cedar beer and IPA second. I love the experimentation, but when in balance with the total beer in mind

D - I will sum up here with a good, but not great along the lines of the taste portion of the review. I could probably only handle a 1/2 pint to be honest. I like the way cedar smells and Jai Alai is a decent IPA, but the combination seems to detract slightly for me rather enhance the drinking experience -just my .02 (1,185 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Barrel aging IPAs can be a very dangerous thing in my opinion. So much risk of obliterating character and just wrecking the ship. This one works for me. There are the IPA tones that area clear and evident with the barrel influences that combine to provide a nice drinking experience. It's a little boozy at times, but it works for me. P.S. Mild gusher here and a whole lotta head too. (384 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +14.5%

Picked up a 750 ml bottle in Brandon FL, had some at the tap room too, liked it a lot...

Pours a chill hazed amber with 2 fingers of rocky cream colored head. Superior head retention & average lacing

S: Much woodyness & some grapefruiit & peppery notes. I LOVE the nose on this!

T: Follows the nose, some honey malt & breadyness as well. Grapefruit, honey malt & cedar woodyness are the main players as this warms, some pineyness too at the back of the throat. Finishes woody, dry, grapefruiity & wth some honey sweetness, plus just a hint of booze warmth

MF: Medium biodied creamy, nice balance & warming sensation

I like the way this is drinking, have had some cedar aged beers like Boulevard's Seeyoulater dopplebock, where I wasn't thrilled with the results. This is a nice variant on the straight up jai lai, which is also top notch in my book as well. I think this presented much better as a bottled beer for that's worth... This one really worked for me (965 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -62.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

First had: firkin from Capone's, Norristown, PA

I hate to do this really, but I'm going to review this beer, even though I'm very sure it was a bad pour, and/or infected, and/or most likely the very bottom of the barrel, so to speak. It was so bad, I actually showed it to the waitress and got my money back for it. Hopefully I can try this one again, and actually have a good sampling.

Poured an ugly, murky chocolate milk color, almost looked like tea with milk in it. I knew something was wrong right away. No carbonation, no head; ugly stains on the sides of the glass. The smell was very hoppy, with tones of guava and grapefruit, but mostly, it smelled like old paint cans. Yikes. Actually the first thought that came to my mind was: this smells like the homes I used to do maintenance on in Camden when I was working with my grandfather during my high school years. Ah, memories...bad ones.

A cautious sip yielded an extremely intense hoppy taste, thick and very bitter, heavy with cedar. My wife looked at me with loving disgust as I ventured another sip, but that was it for this one. After a while, it started to settle as it sat, with most of the murk sinking to the bottom half, and something that could have been an IPA rising to the top, but again, I wasn't going for it again. Well, now at least I know what the bottom of a firkin tastes like. Either that, or cedar is not something beer should be aged in. Still better than Budweiser. (1,454 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +6%

Big thanks to Dave (dukedevil0) for busting this out for New Beer "Saturday". Served in an Upland pint glass.

A - A couple fingers of darker blonde foam that dissipates and leaves some patchy lacing and a nice cap. Really dark and hazy glowing red-orange color - perhaps one of the darkest IPAs I've had in a while.

S - The smell is super-intense and full of cedar and ripe Valencia orange. I'm a little confused - the smell reminds me of cedar chests, orange wood polish, and tobacco, which I generally wouldn't associate with beer, but somehow it's good nonetheless. I think the hops and humidor have combined to create a dank earthy character which I also enjoy. I think the wood presence might be a little to aggressive at the expense of the IPA flavors.

T - The taste, while still having plenty of cedar, is less woody and more orange peel, tropical fruits, and piney hops. There's some nice doughy malt presence the balances things out. Some nice mild bitterness in the finish - I get the sense that most of the hop flavor has been imparted from dry-hopping, which has keep the alpha acids down.

M - The mouthfeel is similar to many of my other favorite IPAs - lower carbonation with only a touch of zing, chewy medium body, soft texture, and lots of residual resins.

D - The cedar flavor builds a little bit keeping this from being a super session beer, but the other qualities are eminently drinkable - great ABV, carbonation, solid taste. I'd have one of these to mix things up, but it would never be my go-to brew.

I'm guessing I'll like regular Jai Alai a little more, but this was an excellent brew nonetheless. (1,629 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

From 5/21 notes. Had at a local DC tasting thanks to nimbleprop.

a - Pours a golden amber color with two inches of white head and light carbonation.

s - Smells of citrus, pepper, cedar, and some smooth caramel malts.

t - Taste is similiar to the nose; pepper, citrus and piney hops, smooth malts.

m - Medium body and light carbonation. Smooth and easy to drink.

d - I thought this was a pretty good IPA that was very easy to drink. Some nice citrus hops in the smell and taste. Didn't really taste any cedar but could smell it. Would definitely try again. (560 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +6.5%

Served in a 24 oz. wine bottle at a local beer bar, I had to try due solely to its uniqueness and the fact that I will never be able to get this beer again. Served in a Watou goblet.

Beer was relatively clear, aged on cedar it gave it an interesting depth that I had not tasted in other beers. I am not usually a fan of Oak-aged beers, but I know they are aged to mellow them, the cedar imparted an interesting, albeit good, smoothness to this beer. It would not be fair to classify this beer as a hop bomb, although the bar tender could not tell me the ABV, I assumed it was in the 8% range. I was feeling no pain by the end. Head was steady and persistent to the end. An impressive beer all around. It is a shame that I have not gotten to explore Cigar City more. (766 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

750 ml bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 9/17/2012. Pours extremely hazy orange amber color with a nice 2 finger dense off white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Nice dense foamy lacing clings to the glass. Aromas of big orange, mango, orange rind, grapefruit, pineapple, caramel, cedar, floral, grass, toast, and herbal earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great hop complexity and good balance. Lots of sweet hops with minimal pine or spiciness balance. Taste of big orange zest, pineapple, grapefruit, orange rind, caramel, floral, grass, toast, light cedar, light pine, and herbal spiciness. Good amount of citrus bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, pineapple, caramel, toast, light pine, grass, and herbal spiciness on the finish for a good bit. Fantastic balance of hop flavors with a nicely balanced malt backbone; zero cloying flavors noticed after the finish. Cedar wasn’t too noticeable, but it probably also smoothed out the beer flavors. Medium carbonation and body; with a nice creamy, lightly slick, and crisp mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is extremely well hidden with pretty much zero warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a highly excellent IPA! Great hop complexity and flavor balance; very smooth and easy to sip on. A highly enjoyable offering as I expected. (1,348 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -3.7%

12 oz can(!); canned March 2014; served in a lager glass.

A: Excellent semi-creamy head over a deep amber liquid full of suspended particles.

Very hoppy aroma of the piney/citrus persuasion. Mild bitterness for style, with some nice cedar wood aging effects.

Feel: smooth and full for style.

O: tamer, more interesting, and easier to drink than the very fine Jai Alai Ale that serves as the base. (403 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

The beer pours a very hazy/cloudy golden/orange color with a thick frothy off-white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great! It has a very nice pale, Munich, and biscuit malt scent along with an excellent piney hop nose. The cedar adds another layer of complexity. It's light, yet noticeable. The taste is good. It has a nice bitter, hop bite up front along with a complex malt bill that adds some bready notes and a solid pale malt base. The cedar is more aggressive in the taste. The wood compliments the maltiness of the beer. This is an east coast IPA; a perfect choice for the wood aging. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn fine beer. I like the use of cedar instead of oak. It's lighter and seems to just compliment the beer instead of overpowering it. (826 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

Review from notes 2/11/11. Thanks to THECPJ for sharing.

A: Pours a hazy orange with two fingers of thick foam on top. Great retention and lacing!

S: A little woody, nice citrus - I get some papaya, pink grapefruit, and maybe some guava.

T: A little oaky with a nice hop bite. The citrus fruits return and are extremely pronounced. Crisp finish, not very bitter.

M/D: Medium bodied with great carbonation. A really good beer, very impressed with the fruit flavors that come forward in this beer. Cigar city ipas continue to impress me. (539 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +4%

Thanks to kbutler for bringing this back from Florida.

Poured into CC snifter.

Pours 1/2 finger of off white head. Good retention with some splattered lace. Color is a dark copper hued orange. Very dark and hazed for an ipa.

Aroma: Tons and tons of cedar with mangoes, tangerines, and grapefruit. The hops are floral but not as present as they would be in a regular ipa. Great nose.

Taste: Very unique beer. Tons of cedar flavor. It reminds me of a sauna. Big fruit citrus - mangoes and tangerines. Some floral bitterness. Pretty solid and very unique.

Mouthfeel: Creamy but bitter and oaky. Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends relatively clean.

Overall, this IPA is different but good. I like it and it is very interesting. I couldn't drink an entire bottle, but a glass is perfect. A well done beer from CCB. (834 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

Thanks to ktrillionaire for sending this bottle my way.

The beer pours a hazy orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma is very heavy on the cedar with some mixed citrus fruit (mainly pineapple) and pepper mixed in. The flavor is dominated with cedar notes. There are some orange and pine hops in the flavor and the aftertaste is a mix of cedar and orange. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. (404 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

Review from notes taken on 11/20/10. The label is different from what is listed but I'm assuming this is the same brew. No indication on the bottle that the base brew is Jai Alai but this is the only listing for a cedar aged IPA so it's probably the same.

Poured into a snifter this brew appears a beautiful perfectly clear light orange color with 2 fingers of fluffy yellowish stained, creamy head. It retains well and leaves a leggy pattern of lace around the glass.

The aroma of this brew is sweet floral hops mixed with some light indications of vanilla. Some citrus, pine and spicy character is evident. A light tingle of the alcohol is felt in the nose through the back along with a seemingly candy sugary sweetness.

The taste is herbal hops mixed with a woodsy flavor that unsurprisingly tastes like cedar with some spiciness. Some oily bitterness clings with some resine like orange rind. A light toasted grain sweetness balances out the flavor of the hops and cedar.

This is a medium bodied brew with a moderate level of carbonation. The alcohol is noticeable with a bit of a perfume-like flavor and warmth. The hops last inside the mouth long after each sip. This would be a well balanced brew except the cedar flavor really stood out and sort of clashed a bit. Nonetheless it was an interesting experience and I would drink it again but maybe with a different take on the hops or with a less aggressive cedar flavor. (1,431 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +6%

Bottle shared by afdempse. Thanks Adam!

The beer is transparent and orange colored, sporting a half inch of white head. Lasting retention and ample lacing.

The aroma is unique and wonderful. A bold scent of freshly lit cigars and cigar smoke take center stage, followed by floral hops.

The taste is not quite as delectable and intriguing as the aroma, but well balanced and enjoyable nonetheless. I can understand why some may dislike this beer, as it is certainly not for everyone. When viewed solely as an IPA or DIPA, this will not hold its own when matched against the upper tier brews of this ilk. That said, Humidor IPA is a complex, unique, and creative brew to be sipped and savored. I applaud Cigar City for this "outside the box" beer. While I was not expecting to enjoy this nearly as much as I did, I would certainly have this again. Recommended. (861 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

This is quite well carbonated as a soft pour produces a three-finger thick, lightly tan colored head. The beer is a nice red-amber hue that shows a slight haze and a red-copper hue to it when held up to the light. As I pour this aromas of bright tangelo and ripe-sweet ruby-red grapefruit are noticeable, but a closer inspection yields the spicy, woody, characteristic cedar character. The cedar actually mixes very well with the ample hop character; both are here in an equal amount too. The cedar serves as the balance that ample hop-pine character and it actually accentuates the pine notes in the nose. The cedar, just really works here, it is almost hop like in its herbaceous spiciness.

Served at around 60*F at first, as it first hits my tongue it feels a lot lighter than I was expecting for some reason; quaffable with a light-medium body and a certain viscous heft, but well within the drinkable limits that I like my IPAs to be in. The cedar is definitely noticeable, but, as in the nose, is played masterfully here such that it integrates within the flavor profile of this IPA like some new, exotic hop would. The hop character in this beer contributes flavors of tangerine, bright orange oil, kumquat, herbaceous pine, ample lychee, apricot and a certain "dankness" that is mightily accentuated by the cedar notes. This finishes with a biting bitterness that is accentuated by an almost astringent character from the cedar and green hop character. It is interesting how the essential oils from the cedar mimics some of the more dank and herbaceous notes that can be found in hops.

Wow, this is really nice, I wasn't really sure what to expect from this beer, but this has definitely been a surprise and in the best way possible. The cedar is more prominent in the aroma than it is in the flavor, which actually is what I want from this beer (even though I didn't know what to expect coming into this beer). Very nice, extremely tasty and in the end it is the incredible balance between the hops, cedar and supporting malt that makes this beer so good. Well, said another way the use of cedar here is just so well done, so well integrated with the base beer, and the base beer really seems like a very well made IPA in its own right. (2,247 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -10.7%

Picked up a bottle of this on the cheap at whole foods in plymouth meeting, poured into a Penn Pilsner pint glass.

Jai Alai cedar pours out the standard orangeish infused with light red color and some creamy egg colored foam on top, small lacing. Smells like Jai Alai, I guess the cedar really is not all that prevalent. The wood is there, it just does not break through the east coast malt build. Some small citrus in the nose with grapefruit, I guess the hops died down when this was aging on the cedar. It tastes like Jai Alai as well, I thought I was drinking the regular version because the wood is not big. Grapefruit and a dash of pine with minimal wood. Feel is medium and bulky, drinkability is hindered, not a huge fan off this. They should do a double cedar aged version of this (790 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - bright orangish amber with a huge, frothy, thick, off white head that has great retention

S - citrusy, malty, a bit sugary, cedar chips come through, some cake batter

T - woody, very piney, bitter, some underlying sweetness, faint cake batter, cedar is very present

M - medium bodied, well carbonated

This is a solid beer. The cedar comes through in a big way which for me is overpowering at times. The IPA itself is extremely piney, bitter, and resinous with some underlying citrus. The malt backbone is present and a bit sugary, but in my opinion a fuller, perhaps sweeter, maltiness would help balance the bold hop presence. Overall, this is a solid IPA that is definitely worth a try by any true IPA fan. (716 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +0.2%

Cask offering at Rattle N hum in NYC. This unfiltered, barrell aged brew pours cloudy medium amber, lighter tan head, typical sheeting and lace. I get mostly grapefruit on the nose with maybe a glimmer of cedar in the rear. Soft on the tongue, with low carbonation, ample fruity hops, again with a healthy dose of grapefruit. Tasty hopped up IPA from the sunshine state. The cedar here was lost on me. (401 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -13%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Russian River tulip glass. Poured a murky copper orange color with a big frothy three finger off-white head. The head had some very good retention and left a lot of lacing on the glass as I drank it.

The aroma starts off with some hoppy citrus flavors but then the big cedar, dry, woody flavor hits you. It really smells like you walked into a humidor. It's kind of hard to pick up any of the beer flavors through the strong cedar.

The taste shows a little more of the hoppy, citrus & pine IPA flavor then the nose did, but it also has a pretty strong woody cedar taste to it. The finish leaves a nice long lasting bitterness on the palate. The ceder might just be overpowering the taste too much in my opinion though.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is decent, you really have to enjoy the wood flavor for it to be drinkable though.

Overall this was a very interesting beer, it was a cool idea and I'm glad I got to try it. The cedar is just too overpowering in it though in my opinion and the wood flavor is hard to get past. This is probably the most extreme "wood" flavored beer I've ever had and I'm not sure how I feel about cedar as a beer flavor. It didn't seem to lend itself to beer as well as say Oak does in my opinion. (1,305 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

750 mL bottle with new Humidor label. Split into snifters.

Appearance is similar to regular Jai Alai, except has a slightly more copper tinge to the golden amber color and the frothy cream colored head has much longer retention. Aroma is woodsy and vegetative, with a slightly tropical and floral hoppy presence. Flavor is less sweet than the Jai Alai, with a strong cedar taste up front and a drier, bitter finish. Very little booze and I think the wood complements the maltier flavors of the IPA nicely. For the price and availability, I highly recommend this for a very unique take on an already notable east coast IPA. (624 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +6%

Picked up a 750 ml bottle from Knightly Spirits in Orlando. Poured a hazy orange with a tall white head. The aroma has a syrupy mix of sweetened grapefruit, toasted cedar plank, and ash, but with more of the focus on the citrus hops. The flavor hits off with the hops - big pine and juniper (almost like gin), and then biting orange peel. Dry, wood flavors kick in to finish with cocoa and toasted crust. Overall, a very well-made and interesting IPA. I hope this beer gets around, it's damn good. (497 characters)

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing