Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

Big thanks to my father for bringing this one back from Florida with him
Poured from a bomber into a snifter

A- pours a hazy burnt orange color, very large 2 finger off white head emerges, a good amount of sticky lacing is left on the glass

S- get hit with hops from the start, somewhat grassy, nice citrus notes of grapefruit and orange rind, nice woody cedar notes as well, slightly sweet caramel notes bring up the rear, pretty nice smell

T- starts with the sweet caramel flavors, is quickly followed by bready malt, the hops are interesting, they bring about a slight bitterness with maintaining nice citrus flavor, the cedar adds an interesting touch, nice woodiness without being as prominent as oak, not as bitter as most American IPA's i've had

M- nice medium body, somewhat high carbonation that pairs well with the body and flavor, very smooth, finishes somewhat dry and refreshing

D- very easy to drink, I like this beer a lot, I would have liked to have seen more bitterness in this but it was tasty nonetheless, if I ever get an opportunity to grab this one again I will for sure

4.57/5  rDev +13.4%

Cigar City Humidor Series IPA

A- cloudy amber/orange with a big fluffy slightly off white head. Lacing all the way down the glass.

S- the smell is great. A lot of passion fruit, pineapple, mango. Really like a sweet tropical fruit salad.

T- it tastes the same as the smell. The hop flavors are on the fruity/aromatics side with a bunch of tropical fruits. Has a slight hop bitterness to balance it out. I'm not sure if I tasted the cedar.

M- medium mouthfeel, a bit sticky, bit low on carbonation (it needed more). Has kind of a fuzzy fruit nectar mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

O- I liked this beer a lot. It's not an IPA for hop heads. It's a very mellow laid back type of IPA. I like that its a bit more about the flavor of the beer without trying to crank up the hops. Very good, very drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%

The beer pours slightly hazy and copper in color with a huge 4 finger light tan head with giant bubbles. Over the few minutes it took me to get my computer set up the head has slowly begun to fade, but the lacing clings strong to the edges of the glass. The nose is full of pine and citrus hops along with a grounded earthy character.

With the first sip I'm struck with bitter grapefruit, and then as that initial flavor starts to fade the cedar starts to take over. It reminds me of what you would hope a humidor would taste like if you licked it. The key point there is "what you would hope", I'm sure if you licked a humidor it would taste nasty.

The finish is very dry and invites you to take the next sip. This is overall a fantastic beer. Traditional Jai Alai is an amazing beer, but this cedar aged version takes it to such a different level. I need to pick up more cigar city beers.

4.16/5  rDev +3.2%

Thanks Greg! Poured from bomber into my Kentucky Ale snifter.

A- pours a very bright orange copper with a bright half inch white head. Carbonation bubbles continuously rising from bottom with nice lacing.

S- very weak for an ipa but also very unique. Instead of hops I'm getting the cedar wood and a caramel scent. Good just not great.

T- the cedar plays a great balancing act with the bitter hops and create a tasty treat. Unlike any ipa I've had but really Good

M- medium bodied with Just the right carbonation

D- one of the easiest drinking ipas I've had. No alcohol in sight and a pleasure to drink

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle poured into pint glass on 3/30/11.
My first ever Cigar City beer. This ale pours with an amazing orange hue topped with a creamy off-white head. Great retention and amazing lace. The nose of this IPA is great for the style and adds a uniqueness I've never experienced before. Citrus hops, honey, a touch of pine... and CEDAR. You can smell the cedar- faint at first but after a few good sniffs it's there. As I take my first sips I immediately appreciate the balance between the sweet honey notes and the slight bitterness from the pine and citrus notes. Of course the cedar-aging is present and plays along with the other flavors nicely. My only complaint is how long the cedar wood lingers in the mouth. It's good at first but becomes overwhelming by the end of the glass. Medium body and medium carbonation. My overall impression is this beer is fantastic and I loved it all the way (aside from too much cedar) and is a top 5 IPA in my opinion.

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

Got this one from the Whole Foods located behind the brewery when I was in Tampa less than a month ago. Here we go...

A- Poured from the wonderful 750 ml. bottle into my Cigar City pint glass. Pours yellow/orange with a slight haze to it. Head starts off strong and dissipates quickly.
S- Not much in this department. Normal, I suppose.
T- The best part! At first, you get a great citrus flavor similar to grapefruit. Very nice balance, not overwhelmed with bitterness. I really enjoy the flavors. When you thought you were done the cedar kicks into a smooth finish.
M- I might have ranted too much in the Taste department, but well balanced and perfect carbonation.
D- I wish we could get this in Panama City. Maybe one day.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

This beauty of a beer is the cigar city jai alai ipa aged on cedar spirals. Taking the tour a couple months back was very informative on how they age the beers on different woods and the amount of time that they do it for. Pours a nice murky orange tinged color. Great nose of cedar wood on this one, everybody does oak so the subtle smell of the cedar has been such a breath of fresh air. Has that usual jai alai finish that i like, very hoppy especially for a regular IPA, most DIPA don't have this much aroma. Stockpile this if you can, seems harder and harder to get

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

Had this on my visit to Cigar City. Served in a pint glass.

A: darkish orange color, a bit opaque. Very small head that managed to stay for quite a while. Good lacing.

S: cedar, pines, oak, hints of herbal and citric notes. Very nice but this smell wasn't as strong as the regular bottled Jai Alai IPA I've tried previously which I thought it was a bit weird.

T: follows the nose with a woody taste, hops, citric hints, a touch of spicyness as well that doesn't get in the way. Everything is very balanced, nothing offensive. Amazing taste for an IPA.

M: medium carbonation. Finishes off excellently and smoothly; goes down well for being an IPA.

O: no wonder this is one of Cigar City's award winning beers. If you are into IPAs this is a must-have. Heck, even if you're not a big IPA fan (like myself) you should definitely try this amazing beer.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours out of the 750mL bottle into a Chimay glass a nice yellow color. A nice white head, about 1/4 inch sits atop the beer.

S: Grapefruit, and a little spicey...almost peppery.

T: I love Jai Alai, and this is Jai Alai on steriods...not so much by the content of alcohol, but the awesomeness that the cedar aging gives this beer. It's spicy tasting, and almost peppery in taste. This beer has a bit of bite to it.

D: I like this beer a lot! I look forward to every bottle that I open. Another great Cigar City selection. If you can get it, take it! It's a great IPA!

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

Cloudy orange amber color. Head has great staying power.

Smells of hops and spice. Getting the cigar cedar thing in the nose.

Woodsy flavor, strong hops and cedar. Tastes like a perfect marriage of cigars and beer. Maltiness is full without being overly sweet.

Dry finish, wood and floral hops persist in the finish. Excellent.

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

750 ml bottle that I shared with some folks at a beer tasting this past weekend.

A - Hazy golden / orange color. Not much of a head as didn't pour a lot into the tasting glass. What head there was dissipated quickly and left a small white cap.

S - Holy cedar, Batman! Lots and lots of wood / earthy tones. Kinda peppery as well. A little bit of citrus (grapefruit) comes through, but this is definitely a cedar aged beer, and it comes through big time.

T & M - Again, lots of cedar. Decent carbonation. Some earthy hops / malt backbone, but again, dominated by the woodsy cedar aging.

Overall - I liked it. I thought it was interesting. Other people that tried it thought it was disgusting and dumped it. It's definitely not for everyone. I love a nice bitter IPA, and this one was that and then some. If you don't like cedar, earthy, woodsy scents / tastes - then avoid this... you'll hate it. If you do - then it's worth a try.

3.64/5  rDev -9.7%

Thanks to glazeman for this one who got it as an extra from moose3285. A few quick comments about this tasty brew - the cedar aging in this definitely comes through in the nose, giving this beer a unique and wonderful smell. The taste is a bit boozy and perhaps a little too malty, but overall, this is a good beer - one I would certainly try again. In terms of mouthfeel, this beer was way too carbonated.

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into a Stone RIS Snifter.

A: Pours a nice orange/peach color. A decent amount of carbonation. 1 inch white foam.

S: On the citrusy side along with a detectable hint of cedar, as the beer warmed up it began to smell like a fresh bag of weed. The nose was great for nostalgia.

T: Tangerine with the piney hop bitterness to it. Cedar flavor is noticeable, very balanced though. It has a fresh wood feeling that a lot of the other wood aged beers do not get. It adds a nice character to the beer.

M/D: The carbonation is pretty high on this beer. It was absolutely delicious and very interesting as IPA's go. I really enjoyed the unique character this beer had. It was like every other IPA out there and it worked very well. I will be seeking this out again.

4.82/5  rDev +19.6%

Served at cellar temp and poured from a bomber into a SA perfect pint glass. Pours rich and clear orange, then cloudy from the yeast sediment, which to me enhances the flavor. Thick 2 finger white head.

Wow - strong grapefruit peel aroma. Hint of cigar box from the cedar. Spicy woody hops on tongue. Earthy flavors - cedar nuances on tongue - really nice touch. Pleasantly bitter on back and sides of tongue. Great malt/hop balance.

Really complex - love this beer. An IPA in a league of its own. True this brew whenever you can.

3.7/5  rDev -8.2%

A- very hazy like a golden cloud. Cloudier than any IPA I've seen. A fat, soft, fluffy white head rises up and hangs out for awhile.

S- Sharp zesty notes of citrus and grapefruit. There's a smooth subdued earthy scent that I assume comes from the cedar. The cedar adds an interesting element I can't quite put my finger on.

T/M- A strong and sweet malt presence smacks upfront, but is nowhere near out of balance. The wood is really interesting and I like the way it rounds out and brings together all of the flavors. A creamy, big bodied IPA that feels more like a DIPA. The hops really hide underneath the wood and malt upfront, but flank your palate and pull a surprise attack. A sharp bitterness, sweet and sour grapefruit, and just a touch of citrusy orange peel. There's also an herbal spiciness. An amazing finish that hits a wall. Just as you imbibe and the hop flavor hits a crescendo the flavors are mopped up almost completely and only a bit of malty sweetness lingers faintly.

O- A really nice IPA and I love the way the wood plays in this beer. I wish there was a little more hop presence as this finishes so crisp; it's nice but I think it needs even more hopping. While this is a very interesting beer, its not quite great and I wouldn't reach for it over and over again.

4.23/5  rDev +5%

A:dark orange with some red mixed in. not really see thru but the light is brighter around the edges of the glass when looking through it. Nice head and lacing.

S: citrus, wood/cedar, a little sweet maltiness I think at the back end.

T: bright citrus hop flavors at first, a bit fruity,followed by the cedar flavors of wood and some spice, maybe a bit of malt at the end with the cedar flavor persisting in the aftertaste. Unusual at first but becomes very pleasing.

M: once it warms up the feel improves greatly. Medium thickness and a bit creamy.

D: pretty nice. I could see the cedar flavor becoming too much at certain times if your not in the mood for it but it is going down very easily and just asking to be drank right now.

A very unique and interesting beer. I had mixed feelings about this beer during the first half of the bomber but am enjoying the second half a whole lot more as it warms and I become accustomed to the cedar flavor. It is hoppy but very different than most other ipas. Would recommend to hop heads and barrel/wood aged beer fans. A big thumbs up.

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a mildly hazy, yellowed orange with a fair amount of white foamy head that lingers.

The nose is very faint, consisting mostly of peppery spice with a little bit of citrus.

I have never had the Jai Alai to compare, but I can definitely get a good idea from drinking the one. The wood seems to mellow out the hop profile which doesn't hit you up front, but the grapefruit notes definitely linger on the backside of the brew. Loads of pepper in this brew. The cedar certainly makes for one interesting brew.

Medium body and a somewhat bubbly feel. This beer is very drinkable, but I don't know if I could drink them back to back.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

750ml bottle, no freshness date. Served in 160z stemless snifter, just above refrigerator temperature, and allowed to warm throughout the session.

A- Pours a dark, hazy, red/orange color. Comes with a one inch creamy head that dissipates pretty quick and leaves a ring. Some lacing.

S- Definitely strong on the cedar, really does remind me of a cigar box. Citrus hops- grapefruit and orange, some sweet malts, maybe caramel but it's hard to decipher, there is an almost wine-like alcohol note, and going back for that last sniff I get a lot of lactose, literally smells like 2% or higher fat milk - I believe this is merely an illusory character, and deeper smells reveal the true complexity of this beer. Slight alcohol burn, but not much and it is pleasing with the wood character.

T- Hops up front, citrus and sweet fruit. Then caramel malts, blending into a nice smooth hop bitterness. From here the cedar steals the show- semi-rough in character, the cedar is light and airy, toasty, somewhat smokey, slightly grassy, and tobacco also comes to mind. The finish is cedar, then caramel malt sweetness, and a slightly bitter, dry ending.

M- Medium body with tiny bubbles makes for a great mouth feel in this experimental beer. Enough carbonation to let the aroma open up, but not too much so that no flavor is lost.

O- This is my third experience with Cigar City and I have yet to be let down (Unfortunately I live over 1100 miles from the brewery and they don't distribute to Illinois). Is it normal or expected to age an IPA in cedar? No. Does it work? Well that is a matter of opinion, but for me it does. A lot of other reviews weren't so pleased, but the cedar really won me over in both taste and aroma. This beer is extremely complex and is definitely a sipper. I hope you at least get to try this intriguing brew, even if you don't like it, it's worth the experience.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a thick, hazy, honey like gold with a billowing copper head. Excellent head retention which left behind much sticky lacing in its wake. Attractive and very reminiscent of a jar of fresh honey.

S: Upfront notes of cedar and sweet orange-like citrus which slowly fade into a more earthy aroma. Some undercurrent notes of pine are also present. The aroma is pleasant, enticing, and by no means overpowering

T: First and foremost, a mild taste of the Spanish cedar makes itself known which then quickly transitions into notes of sweet citrus predominantly characterized by tangy orange and lemon. The hop profile has certainly been mellowed with the cedar aging which has notably enhanced the overall citrus profile. A moderate, albeit still mellow, bitterness resides in the finish which lingers with a subtle, slightly resiny earthiness.

M: Smooth, medium body with light carbonation. Slightly oily and sticky which is in perfect balance with the style. The beer is not overly coating but leaves a very pleasant, dry aftertaste as it continues to explore the palate. For 7.5% abv, the alcohol profile is entirely innocuous.

D: Enticing and very drinkable. Before I was aware, I had finished the entire 750ml in no time and was sad to see the final drops come out of the glass.

Overall, the CCB Humidor Jai Alai exists and incredible example of a well crafted, cedar aged IPA. I'd recommend anyone seeking a unique experience to give this beer a try whenever the chance arises.

3.57/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Jai alai cedar.  Turbid, hazy copper color.  Sweet fruity smell, with a bit of booze as well.  Metallic hop flavor, mild on the metal.  If I really try to, I can taste the cedar. Heavy on the hop bitterness, heavy on the malts, but the malt clearly takes a backseat. Not sure what hops were used but they are very bitter. Wish there was a stronger aroma hop presence. For the amount of flavor here, not as drinkable as it should be...too high abv.

Addendum: I just sipped the dregs, not sure why, but it was painfully hoppy. Was this dry hopped?

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured an orange color with a 1 finger head. Decent amount of lacing on the glass.

Smelled of grapefruit, citrus, a little pine and some sweetness from the cedar.

Nice grapfruit bitterness up front that mellows out as the cedar kicks in. Finishes with nice, lingering citrus bitterness.

Medium mouthfeel, carbonation was a little on the high side.

Overall this was excellent. I enjoy Jai Alai, but the cedar aging adds a whole other dimension, really mellowing it out and giving it a smooth taste.

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured into a Victory HopDevil Nonic. Heavy blanket of slightly off white head. Solid orange body with a little haze. Alcohol lacing and legs are both nice. Head retention is really good as well.

Woah...right up front is a strong cedar smell, which carries all the way through. If you've ever opened up a cedar chest or cigar box then you will pick up this smell right away. The hops are sitting right behind the cedar. Hops have a piney citrus/orange aroma, faint grapefruit. Not sure how fresh this bottle is but I would love to smell how the hops interact with this one fresh. Sweet malty/bready aromas come in at the middle.

Cedar hits right upfront, just like in the aroma. The cedar flavor rises up to the roof of the mouth. A good amount of bitterness from the middle to end and the palate drys out nicely in the finish. Grapefruit and pine come in quickly but also leave rather quick...grapefruit lingers on a little bit longer. The cedar is definitely the star of the show but isn't so overwhelming that this isn't enjoyable. I find this one to be fairly drinkable.

Unlike any IPA I've ever had, but then again adding cedar during fermantation is something probably only Cigar City does. Another stellar/interesting beer by this brewery!

3.99/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A- Poured a gorgeous orangish brown with a small 1/2in head. Slighty hazy and when held up to light you can see small particulates floating around.

S- Cedar definately comes across and instantly takes me back to my childhood living on Cedar Street full of cedar trees. The cedar dominates the nose and the hop aroma is hard to find.

T- Cedar, Cedar, & More Cedar. there is so much cedar going on in this that i barely notice the hops coming across. Dont get me wrong though while the cedar is dominant it does not overpower this beer at all.

M- Sticky, resiny where the Cedar and hops on the end feel like they leave a residue that coats the mouth.

O- A. Definately worth Seeking out or trading for if your outside of FL. I will be searching for more of this as i feel it is comparable to White Oak Jai Alai IMO.

Live tasting into a Delirium Tulip, courtesy of a good friend... Thank you Peacehammer!

Appearance; pours a gorgeous bright, lively orange, minimal white head that quickly dissipates leaving no lacing.

Smell; cedar, pepper, tobacco, minimal citrus

Taste; leads with some slight honey sweetness that gives way to a hoppy, citrus, peppery tobacco flavor, the bitterness of the hops quickly fades, leaving a lingering peppery tobacco flavor...

Mouthfeel; lively on the tongue, just dances on the palate, great carbonation...

Overall; a fantastic IPA, with a bit of a twist, definitely worth checking out!!

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured a half inch head and has an off orange color. The smell is a nice lemony, malty, hoppy aroma. A very nice smell. This is my first oak aged IPA and really like the tongue. It begins with a grapfruit hoppy taste, moves into a bit of malts and finishes as it begins with the same grapefruit hops. The mouthfeel is medium. Overall dig this one and wish I could find it locally. Picked up a bomber while in Tallahassee, Fl. Should have gotten a few. Will do when in the area again. Very nice offering from the Cigar City folks.

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing