Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009

4.75/5  rDev +17%

3.41/5  rDev -16%

750mL bottle served into a tulip glass

Pours a darkish, burnt orange color. Plenty of murkiness to the body, though you can see some carbonation when you hold the beer to direct light. The carbonation gushes out, forming a two-finger-plus sized head, but it reduces down to a very tight one finger. Plenty of thick-ringed lace is left in its wake.

The dominant aroma I'm getting is caramel malt. Which isn't what I personally want to get as the dominant aroma in an IPA, but I can roll with it. There's green hop notes here, a splash of fruit juice too. There's a different sort of astringency here too which I am attributing to the cedar chips. Slight vanilla comes along with the wood. I've had cedar in beer before (namely Boulevard's discontinued Seeyoulator Dopplebock), and this doesn't at all smell like what I thought it would. The unique character of cedar is diminished on the nose of this bottle. Is it old? I have no reason to think so, but it could be the case.

Tasting the beer leads me to believe that it isn't blindingly fresh but isn't over the hill either. There's a fair amount of peach and orange hop flavor to this bottle. The caramel malt IS stronger than I'd prefer, but it maybe needs to be. The cedar flavor isn't dominant or even particularly strong, and I think the malt is helping a lot to keep the wood in balance. That wood is green and yes, tastes like cedar. Very trace vanilla; mostly green wood.

This beer is on the thicker side of medium-bodied. I typically don't like that attribute, but it works for this beer. There's something pleasing about the textural heft in relation to wood flavor. Usually, wood-aged beers are so thinned-out, so the contrast is unexpected and enjoyable.

Overall, this is an above-average IPA. It is unique and enjoyable, though nothing that I would turn to regularly (or ever again, even). It isn't what I'm looking for in an IPA, but it does succeed in what it wants to do.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

2.75/5  rDev -32.3%

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

4.75/5  rDev +17%

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Happy to find this on the shelf at Total Wine. Bomber poured into a pint glass (wish I had a snifter or tulip); dated Nov 2011 on the label.

Hazy body, dark yellow/orange color, with a three-finger, creamy light tan head. The head has excellent retention and settles into a foamy cap.

The aroma is not really like an IPA but is interesting nonetheless. The cedar/wood notes are prominent, followed by a light earthy hop aroma. Some sweet malt in the background.

The flavor is equally interesting. The hops take a background to the wood flavors. The cedar flavor is again prominent, and as the beer has aged, the hop flavors have obviously faded in favor of the malt. The flavor is good, but I actually think this one would be better with a little more age on it, maybe a year or so to have the flavors blend.

Medium mouthfeel with an oily hop texture. Overall, one of the most unique beers I've ever had and definitely worth a try.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

I've had this a number of times, but have not reviewed, and never out of the 750ml bottle. Think that means it's time for a proper review.

Poured into a tulip glass. Nice appearance...rousing head above a sinister, sparkling reddish-gold. Excellent lacing. A shade darker than I'd expect.

Smell is all IPA to begin with, mostly Pine-Sol with a bit of lemon zest and grapefruit. Some slightly funky overripe strawberry as it warms, I think this is the cedar coming through - I pulled a similar note from the Japanese Classic Ale from Hitachino Nest, also cedar-aged.

The wood doesn't come through quite as much here as in previous batches I'd had, but it's still there. It seems to really serve to dry out any residual sweetness left here; it has that flinty, woody dry finish. Before that, it's the grapefruit and pine you get from the standard Jai-Alai, with some overarching flavor of strawberry-and-whiskey for which I'm crediting the cedar. Still, not as much obvious wood as in earlier batches, I think. The earlier batches were "like licking the floor at Home Depot," lot of wood-shaving taste. This seems to have more balance, with the hops coming through a lot more; it's closer to what you'd typically think of as a beefy IPA.

Feel is rather soft and agreeable, while maintaining plenty of active carbonation. Outstanding. It seems to have the lush feel of a bigger beer, not that 7.5% is exactly small.

At this strength, probably more drinkable than it should be. Yet, I'll stop at 4.0, as it feels like a big beer, and has big-beer flavor.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

A-hazy gold with white head and lacing through out
S-the cedar comes through predominately. I feel like I'm at a lumber store
T-wow very complex. The wood comes through and almost adds a sour taste to it. Nice balance with the hops
M-medium bodied, crisp and dry
O-decent brew. Cedar is overpowering...

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Review from 12/15/10. I'm assuming this is the right Humidor Series IPA. The label looked different, but this is the closest I could find.

The color of this brew is a hazy copper with some hues of peach and amber. The hazy nature is likely the result of bottle conditioning. A white foamy 1 finger thick head forms atop the liquid with good lingering qualities. The only way to rid the beer of its head is to drink it and have the head lace the glass, which it does a good job doing.

A floral bouquet greets my nose with notes of lilac and lily of the valley. Some honey helps smooth the bouquet providing a pleasant balance. I also detect some woody tones.

Starting out the taste is a dose of flowery hops combined with smoked cherry wood. Honey sweetens the deal and mellows the flavors. The bittering in the end reminds me of pine tar but does not take away from what the beer is creating. The sum of flavors equals a very balanced and pleasing IPA.

This beer has a wonderful medium full mouthfeel with some nice creamy qualities. A stinging bitterness gently lingers with a satisfying amount of bitterness.

This is a tasty lovely beer and I would drink it again.

4.29/5  rDev +5.7%

Had this on tap at the brewery a few weeks ago, but this review is from a 750 ml bottle, poured into a tulip.

A: Hazy burnt orange color. The pour produces a little over one finger of fluffy cream colored head that leaves great lacing.

A: Almost perfect nose. I get the simcoe and cascade hops, grapefruit, orange peel, and maybe some honey. But the cedar wood, just acentuates all of these flavors. It is distictly cigar cedar, it smell just like walking into a humidor.

T: Again very nice. I get everything I got in the nose. The cedar is definately different, but welcomed. This is a one of a kind taste. The beer finishes very dry, with no hint of the ABV.

M: Medium body, very good amount of carbonation, makes for a smooth semi-resinous mouthfeel.

D and overall impression: I could only drink one of these 750 ml bottles, not that I couldn't have more, but because of the complexity of this IPA, my palate is ruined. Overall, this is a fantastic beer. Cedar should become a staple for aging beer. Kudos again to Wayne and Joey, just great! Skal.

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing