Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

bomber poured into a Sam Adams glass

A - cloudy, sizable head; great lacing; bubbly for the duration

S - what a cedar closet stuffed with hops must smell like

T - more subdued than regular Jai Alai as far as the hops are concerned; cedar really comes through but is not overpowering

M - quite dry and quite carbonated for an IPA

D - oh, yeah -- really like this as an alternative to normal IPAs -- not a whole lot of alcohol bite and the wood mellows out the biting hops -- sure the age does it too (503 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours a hazy orange with a one finger head. Not quite opaque and I do not see any chunks of yeast. I smell cedar first and foremost followed by grapefruit and mango. Incredible aroma. The taste is perfect. The cedar hits first and then morphs into a nice grapefruit and mango combo that leaves a semi-dry finish. The mouthfeel is like silk. The carbonation is light to medium. Drinkability is OK, but I can finish the bottle myself due to how good this beer really is. Overall, the most complex IPA I have had to date. This is definitely not for everyone, but it is definitely a must try for any IPA fan. Very unique and finally an extreme beer that Sam hasn't thought of. A must try! (684 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

Thanks to badboyrsl84 for this one. Poured from bottle into pint glass. Lots of head with this guy, about two fingers even with a very gentle pour. Completely murky, like an unfiltered wheat ale. The nose holds a distinct belgian aroma, like a saison, cedar, calm spices, no hops really. Tongue is amazing. Starts out much like the nose, belgian spice, then shifts quickly into the hops and then finishes with honey and cedar notes. It surely leaves a spicyness, much like a cigar would. Mouthfeel, I think is only mediocre. For being a bottle opened long before my turn, it still was reallly carbonated. But it accented to spicy characteristics of the cedar. Overall, very unique brew and I am quite pleased. (709 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

Big props to mcbackus. Thanks man! Pour is bronze with a nice, fluffy white head. Aroma of pine, grapefruit and fresh grass. Flavor is bitter upfront with a lot of cedar and almost smokey. The body is thick and almost seems to contain pulp or something. Very clean and dry. This was my favorite beer from Cigar City so far. Hook a brutha up!!! (343 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +11.7%

From my notes

A - Hazy coppery orange with a big fluffy meringue head. Great retention. The lacing is insane.

S - Glorious slick hops. Good dose of malt and hint of cedar. These smells only stronger would get a 5.

T - The same slick hops are there but the malt seems less prevalent than the smell. The cedar adds a very subtle and unique flavor. As it warms the malt opens up more. Nice and bitter in the finish. Very good.

M - Thick & sticky. Good carbonation.

D - Very, very drinkable. (492 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -5.5%

Purchased this bottle along with another(for trading) at Norman's Liquors, just east of I-75 on SR-70 in Bradenton.

Dark amber hue with red highlights. Nice one and a half finger, frothy, off white head. Laces very well. The head is here for the long haul.

Smell and taste have quite a bit of a bitter, lemon peel quality. The flavor is complimented by grapefruit and a light caramel sweetness, way in the back. An underlying earthy/woody taste remains on the tongue long after the swallow.

Mouthfeel is soft and silky. An astringent bitterness does lessen the drinkability a bit, but not a bad wood aged beer. I, however, think that IPAs are not the most suitable beer for wood aging. And i believe that the Jai Alai was better without aging it on Cedar. A fresh Jai Alai cannot be improved upon. (804 characters)

750ml bottle at ginos in Tampa
poured a nice orange color with a lot of foam. Nice pacing and small head stuck around.
Smell was similar to jai alai but more subtle. Citrusy but didn't have the pop of regular ipa. Taste of pine citrus and just a bit mellow for what I was anticipating, the cedar must mute some of the hops. Not a bad thing just after jai alai was expecting major hop pop on tongue. Medium mouthfeel for ipa with nice aftertaste. Overall great job again by cigar city! I was just expecting more reading they just aged jai alai in Spanish cedar and after paying 15$ for 22oz. Glad I did, but know that your better off saving some ding and sticking with the reggie jai alai! (689 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Recieved this awesome beer in a trade from Immortale25.

Poured into a Founders tulip glass

Pours a cloudy orange color with a 1 finger off white head.

The smell on this beer is amazing! It's like smelling a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice.

The taste on this incredible. Lots of citrus taste. I can taste the orange, grapefruit, and maybe some peach. Not a bitter hop forward brew, but a very tasty easy drinking IPA. I love it. A little less carbonation would have made this a perfect beer.

Overall I would buy this again and again. Very well done! (560 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into Dark Horse Brewery pint glass.

It pours a soapy head that diminishes to a beautiful lacing with loads of sediment that suspends perfectly and a few bubbles of carbonation sneaking through. I smell straight up cedar and mild hops. Breathing in while taking the first sip reminds me of my cigar smoking days. The unmistakeable cedar smell and taste gives me a beer boner. What a unique and balancing marriage of flavors. Mouthfeel is a nice and thick but unexpected hearty gulping beer. It's hard to not chug this. Ultimately I want these all day long. I have a theory on people that create art, as this beer clearly is, and that is: weather or not you have direction what you do passionately the only thing that comes out is something not of choice but something that is pure. This is a solid ass beer. (814 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks to trappistlover for sending this!

I've had this a couple other times, but now finally getting around to reviewing.

A - Very cloudy amber to gold with a foamy off-white head that sticks stays pretty much the entire time.

S - As advertised, wonderful cedar with heavy citrus and floral hops. Also catching some vanilla and actually pepper.

T - Lemon and bitter orange. Just some really nice hops. Finish follows the smell of cedar and that vanilla and pepper.

M - Medium bodied and oily.

I continue to forget how much I like this beer. It just has so many things going on that keeps it interesting, yet stays oh so drinkable. (638 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received a bottle in a trade with Keifdog.

Preface: I decided to drink this in a cigar store (which boasts one of the largest walk in humidor's in the state, so lots of cedar smells already) with a cigar (Rocky Patel Sungrown).

Appearance: Poured slightly cloudy copper with a huge head (maybe four fingers) with great retention and lacing.

Smell: Citrusy/piney hop metallic and the more I drink the more I smell the cedar.

Taste: Malty and citrusy with cedar prominent in the after taste. Moderate hopiness. The cedar is not a bad flavor, just different but I don't think the cedar adds to the beer. I've had the regular Jai Alai IPA and given the choice, I would order the regular Jai Alai every time. However, the cedar did add an interesting complexity in the cigar shop which was already cedar smelly in its own right.

Mouthfeel: Moderate to heavy carbonation. Pretty refreshing on a warm day.

Drinkability: Somewhere between a gulper and a sipper. Medium body. (975 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +9.5%

The smell of this one is intriguing. It smells slightly sweet, but with noticeable hoppiness. The hops wind up tasting very smooth and their citrus flavor evens out the wood perfectly. I was expecting more of a sharp taste or smell of cedar, but the balance of floral hops and subtle woodiness is very nice. This beer leaves a nice foam on the side of the glass and is well carbonated. The combination of which is a perfect full body mouth feel. Great beer. (457 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

Finally Cigar City is being distributed to Alabama and I would assume that this review would be the 1st review of said Cigar City beer sold in Alabama.

a: Golden/Yellow in color, very clear though still minimal hop haze (good thing) with a rocky white head that has pillows that wont go away.

s: The smell is amazingly complex. Cedar hits you up front with some Citrus and Earthy tones. Some vanilla is present, but only as the beer warms up. Not overly hoppy as I expected, you can still smell a good malt base.

t: A very well balanced IPA lies beneath this beer which serves as a great base. Taste up front is wood earthy notes, cedar. The back end is mostly citrus. I am very surprised how well the cedar goes with the hope here.

m: medium body seems really dry, which I like. The cedar just coats your mouth as you keep drinking.

d: Very great beer. One of the best wood aged IPA's out there IMHO. I could drink this again and soon.

Thanks again Cigar City for coming to our great state! (997 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

My first Cigar City beer becomes my first review. A lovely item from Santa Deuane. Thanks Deuane!

A: Poured into a Stone pint glass, color is light orange when held to the light with rather large bubbles rising to the surface. Half finger head with good retention.

S: Initial smell is piney hops with a strong cedar back bone. Pretty much as advertised. Hints of citrus but not much.

T: Taste is very similar to the smell, but with a stronger citrus flavor on the front end than I had expected given the smell. Cedar is very powerful on the back end almost overpowering the malts however there is a slight caramel malt presence that appears in a delayed aftertaste. Interesting.

M: The larger bubbles noticed in the pour really come through here as the foam spreads throughout the mouth upon drinking. Making this beer seem more viscous than it might otherwise.

D: The mustyness of the cedar might throw some people off, but I quite enjoy it. It's a rather heavy beer and at 1pt 9oz it might be too much for most. 1 bottle will be more than enough for me.

Overall I'm really glad I've gotten to try this as it is a neat departure from the traditional IPA I'm used to. I would definitely drink this again.

Thanks Deuane. (1,226 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -38.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Duvel tulip glass, 2011 release date. Part of a mini-tasting with Spdkilz.

It poured a translucent amber color with a pillowy white head and quite a bit of lacing. The nose is dominated by cedar with hints of vanilla and grapefruit. Taste...holy cedar. Way too over the top cedar taste for me, it was like I was chewing wood chips. Slight hints of spiciness and hop bitterness, but the cedar was over powering. Medium bodied with an oily residue finish. Overall, the cedar was so extreme that it really brought the beer down for me. Maybe it would be better if it aged for a bit and some of that dissipated but I couldn't wait to finish this one and move on to the next. (705 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

a- pale orange, nice lacing
s- nice,hops and malty sweetness, maybe a hint of cedar
t- a little bit of citrus and from the hops then some sweet malt and then on the very end you get the cedar and some bitterness
m- full bodied
d- a big beer, definitely a sipper, I enjoy it but it is taking a bit to drink (306 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a big beer mug.

A: Hazy, amber-orange. Lots of lace on the a big head that died down but stayed alive throughout the session.

S: The cedar aging is present, but the grapefruit comes across immediately. Hops, too, but that grapefruit just would not quit.

T: The cedar was evident, but like the smell, the grapefruit jumped out and demanded respect. Not as bitter an IPA like I am used to from my west coast brews, but bitter nonetheless. Not a lot of sweetness, a touch of spice.

M: Well carbonated, and very nice. Not sticky on the tongue, and not watery in any way. Well done on this front.

D: I like this IPA because it doesn't hit me over the head with hops. So many IPAs today just attack your mouth. This one is drinkable, but the grapefruit can be a little overpowering after a while. I like grapefruit, so plus one for me. Alcohol taste is masked well, so I could quaff this one without too much trouble.

I was glad to try this beer. Have been following their blog for awhile, and was curious to try their brews. A good beer, and unique in application. I will be looking to forward to more from Cigar City down the road.

Serving type: bottle (1,187 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Thanks to a buddy in FL for trading this and some others for some FFF's I had. My 1st ever Cigar City offering.

A - Hazy Orange to tan, 1 inch creamy head. Nice Lacing, good retention

S - Lots going on. Earthy, malts, some wood scents, grapefruit caramel/toffee, nothing really outdoing the other. Really nice aromas

T - Hops, balanced nicely with malts, some sweetness going on (Vanilla?), finishes crips, lingers a bit, but not too long

M - Pretty good, a touch dry but not bad.

O - Solid brew, would much like to try some other Jai Alai offerings. (555 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

Quite a few reviews for this beer from, aparently, the same firkin. All bad. Too bad for them. I found this beer to be pretty good looking kinda orangey-gold with a nice medium length lasting creamy head. I wasn't provided with any lace, and not great retention, but I am at work, and I know that the sanitizer probably has an effect. I really enjoy the woody fruity earthy grapefruity aroma. the ceder seems to me to be REALLY well integrated. I often think that beers that have seen wood would have been better without...like it's an extra un-needed ingredient, tossed in because someone thought that we would think it's cool...even though the beer was great already. I don't think that more is always better. I think the ceder is great, it works. I find balance in the bitter, wood, fruit, and earth...with a bare touch of malt sweetness. Nice smooth creaminess on my palate with carbonation that really seems appropriate. I like it. I would gladly drink it again. CHEERS (974 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

750 mL champagne bottle into shaker. Pours a slightly hazy deep amber with a two-three finger tan, rocky head that has excellent retention and leaves sheets of fluffy lacing. Pouring it until the end of the bottle comes the yeast in suspension and clouds the bottle to an almost opaque orange. Aroma is enormous grapefruit hops along with- no joke- a Montecristo No. 2 cedar cigar box...incredible. Taste is grapefruit juice with massive citrus hops and beautiful cedar in the background. As it warms more cedar and caramel notes show through. The cedar is such a perfect addition. Not only original but it works so well. The spicy hops and spicy cedar flavors blend perfectly but the beer is still creamy and refreshing all the same. What a treat. (748 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +23.4%

A: I love the hazy unfiltered appearance, but to some i understand it can be off putting.

S: Smell is perfect. the amazing smell that accompanies a fresh Jai Alai but with the complexity of the unique cedar infusion.

T: Just great. this is a beer i get something different out of every time i drink one. its like great record, always something to discover in this complex beauty.

O: One of my favorite CCB beers. Key is dont wait on this one. hops seem to fade fast. the complexity and uniqueness of this beer is one in a million. (535 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -16%

Drank @ work off a cask.

Poured a cloudy yellow with a nice thick head into a standard 4oz tasting glass. Pretty murky for an IPA but thats not a problem. Head was about finger thick and receded quickly.

Nose was of fresh grapefruit and just a tiny bit of wood. I also got some sugary tones like melted watermelon jolly ranchers. If you take the wood out it smelled like every other big, citrusy IPA I've had as of late. There was a slight peaty smell as well.

Tasted it and BANG, HOPS! Pretty much a hoppy grapefruit spritzer mixed with a picket fence. I wanted the candy tones I smelled to come in and rescue this beer but it did not happen. Unbalanced and a little confused, this beer was interesting but by no means great. After a few sips it turned into a yawner. Hops, hops, hops. Yeah, I get it.

Mouthfeel was viscous and warm. A little oily and chewy.

I had 8 oz's of this and I was set. Did not want more (918 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +7%

I tried the humidor after a few jai alai's. Let me say: this beer is a face peeler! Love it. The color is dark blonde, cedar on the nose and solid hop taste. Finnish is dry cedar and almost salty. I couldn't get enough and will mail some home for trades. Loving it!!! (267 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A great big thanks to Janderson91 for sending me my first taste of Cigar City goodness. And what a helluva introduction!

Poured into to the trusty New Belgium balloon produces a sensuous off-white two fingers atop a hazy dark amber. Good gracious...as Meatloaf would say the head on this guy "just won't quit". Absolutely gorgeous lacing all over this one.

Aroma is, as you might have guessed, dominated by the cedar. I get the pine and grapefruit of your standard IPAs but the wood is what's being showcased here and I'm a fan. A bit of a sweet malt character creeps in the more I smell.

The citrus flavor comes in first but is very easily balanced by a sweet caramel element. Having not had the base Jai Alai, I'm left to reviews to gauge the base beer. I see that some previous reviews labeled it as a bit on the sweeter side. Its difficult to remove the cedar element, but i could see that. Although, i see that as a positive attribute. The cedar has been there the whole time but clearly dominates on the finish and leaves a spicy, peppery aftertaste. Thoroughly enjoyable from my angle.

Mouthfeel is full without being syrupy. Carbonation seems adequate. A great medium feel, very pleasant.

Overall, this is a winner for me. It's certainly not the thirst-quenching everyday IPA I would gulp down without thought. Not quite a sipper, but this is certainly a beer that lends itself to a more contemplative session. An aroma and flavor as unique as cedar demands attention. Sipping this one after some porkchops off the grill seems appropriate. The occasional whiff of the charcoal still burning off and the perennial summer sound of Cicadas in the big Illinois oak trees behind me seem to complete the experience. A great beer. (1,736 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a 750 into a belgian beer goblet. Beer pours a delightful tan with one finger head which recedes into a patchy lace. Smells of cedar, caramel, and aged hops. Tastes of cedar almost like an old cedar chest that is warm and inviting. Followed by caramel and almost the slightest touch of a cigar. Later after the pour I enjoyed this beer with a mellow cigar and the two paired perfectly. The mouthfeel is good, nicely carbonated and a bit drying at the finish which comes to be very enjoyable and has me anticipating it in every sip. Overall I like this beer and find it to be a comforting, sit down and relax brew. As I have only had oak aged ipa's before this, and this beer is right up my alley. Many who enjoy wood aged ipa's will enjoy this beer quite a bit. First I've had of cigar city's beers and it is a winner. (830 characters)

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing