Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009

firstprev| 376-400 | 401-425 | 426-450  | next → last
4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

a- pale orange, nice lacing
s- nice,hops and malty sweetness, maybe a hint of cedar
t- a little bit of citrus and from the hops then some sweet malt and then on the very end you get the cedar and some bitterness
m- full bodied
d- a big beer, definitely a sipper, I enjoy it but it is taking a bit to drink

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a big beer mug.

A: Hazy, amber-orange. Lots of lace on the a big head that died down but stayed alive throughout the session.

S: The cedar aging is present, but the grapefruit comes across immediately. Hops, too, but that grapefruit just would not quit.

T: The cedar was evident, but like the smell, the grapefruit jumped out and demanded respect. Not as bitter an IPA like I am used to from my west coast brews, but bitter nonetheless. Not a lot of sweetness, a touch of spice.

M: Well carbonated, and very nice. Not sticky on the tongue, and not watery in any way. Well done on this front.

D: I like this IPA because it doesn't hit me over the head with hops. So many IPAs today just attack your mouth. This one is drinkable, but the grapefruit can be a little overpowering after a while. I like grapefruit, so plus one for me. Alcohol taste is masked well, so I could quaff this one without too much trouble.

I was glad to try this beer. Have been following their blog for awhile, and was curious to try their brews. A good beer, and unique in application. I will be looking to forward to more from Cigar City down the road.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

Thanks to a buddy in FL for trading this and some others for some FFF's I had. My 1st ever Cigar City offering.

A - Hazy Orange to tan, 1 inch creamy head. Nice Lacing, good retention

S - Lots going on. Earthy, malts, some wood scents, grapefruit caramel/toffee, nothing really outdoing the other. Really nice aromas

T - Hops, balanced nicely with malts, some sweetness going on (Vanilla?), finishes crips, lingers a bit, but not too long

M - Pretty good, a touch dry but not bad.

O - Solid brew, would much like to try some other Jai Alai offerings.

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Quite a few reviews for this beer from, aparently, the same firkin. All bad. Too bad for them. I found this beer to be pretty good looking kinda orangey-gold with a nice medium length lasting creamy head. I wasn't provided with any lace, and not great retention, but I am at work, and I know that the sanitizer probably has an effect. I really enjoy the woody fruity earthy grapefruity aroma. the ceder seems to me to be REALLY well integrated. I often think that beers that have seen wood would have been better without...like it's an extra un-needed ingredient, tossed in because someone thought that we would think it's cool...even though the beer was great already. I don't think that more is always better. I think the ceder is great, it works. I find balance in the bitter, wood, fruit, and earth...with a bare touch of malt sweetness. Nice smooth creaminess on my palate with carbonation that really seems appropriate. I like it. I would gladly drink it again. CHEERS

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

750 mL champagne bottle into shaker. Pours a slightly hazy deep amber with a two-three finger tan, rocky head that has excellent retention and leaves sheets of fluffy lacing. Pouring it until the end of the bottle comes the yeast in suspension and clouds the bottle to an almost opaque orange. Aroma is enormous grapefruit hops along with- no joke- a Montecristo No. 2 cedar cigar box...incredible. Taste is grapefruit juice with massive citrus hops and beautiful cedar in the background. As it warms more cedar and caramel notes show through. The cedar is such a perfect addition. Not only original but it works so well. The spicy hops and spicy cedar flavors blend perfectly but the beer is still creamy and refreshing all the same. What a treat.

4.95/5  rDev +22.8%

A: I love the hazy unfiltered appearance, but to some i understand it can be off putting.

S: Smell is perfect. the amazing smell that accompanies a fresh Jai Alai but with the complexity of the unique cedar infusion.

T: Just great. this is a beer i get something different out of every time i drink one. its like great record, always something to discover in this complex beauty.

O: One of my favorite CCB beers. Key is dont wait on this one. hops seem to fade fast. the complexity and uniqueness of this beer is one in a million.

3.37/5  rDev -16.4%

Drank @ work off a cask.

Poured a cloudy yellow with a nice thick head into a standard 4oz tasting glass. Pretty murky for an IPA but thats not a problem. Head was about finger thick and receded quickly.

Nose was of fresh grapefruit and just a tiny bit of wood. I also got some sugary tones like melted watermelon jolly ranchers. If you take the wood out it smelled like every other big, citrusy IPA I've had as of late. There was a slight peaty smell as well.

Tasted it and BANG, HOPS! Pretty much a hoppy grapefruit spritzer mixed with a picket fence. I wanted the candy tones I smelled to come in and rescue this beer but it did not happen. Unbalanced and a little confused, this beer was interesting but by no means great. After a few sips it turned into a yawner. Hops, hops, hops. Yeah, I get it.

Mouthfeel was viscous and warm. A little oily and chewy.

I had 8 oz's of this and I was set. Did not want more

4.29/5  rDev +6.5%

I tried the humidor after a few jai alai's. Let me say: this beer is a face peeler! Love it. The color is dark blonde, cedar on the nose and solid hop taste. Finnish is dry cedar and almost salty. I couldn't get enough and will mail some home for trades. Loving it!!!

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A great big thanks to Janderson91 for sending me my first taste of Cigar City goodness. And what a helluva introduction!

Poured into to the trusty New Belgium balloon produces a sensuous off-white two fingers atop a hazy dark amber. Good gracious...as Meatloaf would say the head on this guy "just won't quit". Absolutely gorgeous lacing all over this one.

Aroma is, as you might have guessed, dominated by the cedar. I get the pine and grapefruit of your standard IPAs but the wood is what's being showcased here and I'm a fan. A bit of a sweet malt character creeps in the more I smell.

The citrus flavor comes in first but is very easily balanced by a sweet caramel element. Having not had the base Jai Alai, I'm left to reviews to gauge the base beer. I see that some previous reviews labeled it as a bit on the sweeter side. Its difficult to remove the cedar element, but i could see that. Although, i see that as a positive attribute. The cedar has been there the whole time but clearly dominates on the finish and leaves a spicy, peppery aftertaste. Thoroughly enjoyable from my angle.

Mouthfeel is full without being syrupy. Carbonation seems adequate. A great medium feel, very pleasant.

Overall, this is a winner for me. It's certainly not the thirst-quenching everyday IPA I would gulp down without thought. Not quite a sipper, but this is certainly a beer that lends itself to a more contemplative session. An aroma and flavor as unique as cedar demands attention. Sipping this one after some porkchops off the grill seems appropriate. The occasional whiff of the charcoal still burning off and the perennial summer sound of Cicadas in the big Illinois oak trees behind me seem to complete the experience. A great beer.

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

Great beer. I got this from the only store in Alabama that sells beer in bottles greater than 16oz...weird huh? Poured a cloudy copper color. Had a huge creamy white head with spotty lacing. Cedar is all over the place, and is accompanied by citrus and earthy aromas. Great mouthfeel with a wonderful balance of sweet malty flavor up front followed by crisp hops. Nice beer, I will definitely be buying another if I'm lucky enough to come across it again.

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a 750 into a belgian beer goblet. Beer pours a delightful tan with one finger head which recedes into a patchy lace. Smells of cedar, caramel, and aged hops. Tastes of cedar almost like an old cedar chest that is warm and inviting. Followed by caramel and almost the slightest touch of a cigar. Later after the pour I enjoyed this beer with a mellow cigar and the two paired perfectly. The mouthfeel is good, nicely carbonated and a bit drying at the finish which comes to be very enjoyable and has me anticipating it in every sip. Overall I like this beer and find it to be a comforting, sit down and relax brew. As I have only had oak aged ipa's before this, and this beer is right up my alley. Many who enjoy wood aged ipa's will enjoy this beer quite a bit. First I've had of cigar city's beers and it is a winner.

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

Thanks to Cheesemoose for this one.

A:dark copper with a thin head that leaves a good lace

S: citrus with a slight cedar aroma but citrus is the order

T: bitter fruity cedar with some sweetness from the malt bill, not a hint of alcohol

M: medium body with a perfect amount of carbonation for the style

D: not your usual IPA, drinkable but I couldn't drink more tham a couple

Poured in a Pint Glass

A: Goldish amber color with about a quarter of an inch of light brown head, great looking IPA

S: The smell is like walking into a Humidor it is unreal Cigar City Brewing is just on the money

T: It taste like a Humidor,the spanish cedar really comes out with every sip, it is by far the most interesting IPA that I have ever had

M: the flavor makes the mouthfeel great and it has good carbonation

D: I could drink this all day its a good Session beer even with the higher ABV. everything CCB touches turns to gold

You have to try this Humidor series from Cigar City Brewing its like nothing you have ever had A+

4.88/5  rDev +21.1%

This beer is amazing.

A - Nice, foamy head with a light amber color. Impressive.

S - Cedar, Pepper, subtle smoke and tobacco.

T - Wow. Lots of flavors as described in the nose. Mostly the Spanish Cedar and Pepper are predominant, with a nice balance of hops and a slight bitterness as expected by the Jai Lai IPA. The palate is well balanced and the finish has me craving more. I'm not sure if this could be any better.

M - Medium bodied, nothing too over-bearing. I'm not sure if this could be anymore well balanced.

D - Give me another bomber please.

I think any experienced beer aficionado will appreciate and understand the magnitude of how wonderful this beer is. The Spanish Cedar really provides personality that easily conquers any other wood dominant beer that I've ever had. Easily one of my top ten favorite beers. Exceptional job, Cigar City. As usual.

A - Pours a hazy amber-orange, beautiful lacing.

S - Orange, grapefruit, cedar. It all adds up to an aroma near to sinsemilla.

T - Wow... sinsemilla again, in a good way. This is a very complex beer.

M - Refreshing. Makes you look forward to the next sip.

D - I loved this beer. It rivals the best IPA's I've ever had, bar none.

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

Big thanks to mikesgroove for this amazing brew!

Porange hazy orange with a big thick sticky head. Smells awesome with the cedar nose I was expecting. Taste is unlike anything I've had before. Nice bitter hop bite with tropical fruit then finishes dry with cedar aftertaste. More beers should be aged in cedar because this just adds a great dimension to the overall flavor. This is a spectacular beer!!

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

A - Poured from a growler into a beer mug. The color on this beer was a real nice amber, with very little head. I made two pours from this bottle though and on my second pour there was about a finger of head so I think it had more to do with my pour than the carbonation.

N - Real nice nice, not too overwhelming, but solid nose with your typical IPA notes.

T - Loved the malt/hoppy taste on this beer. Has a natural, earthy taste to it. It leaves a real nice feel that makes you want to take another swig.

O - Excellent IPA in my opinion. Doesn't have as much typical bitterness as you might expect from the American IPA's, but definitely feels more like what IPA's were originally meant to taste like.

had this on tap at CCB earlier this evening...

medium orange pour, thick foamy head, average lacing. cedar adds an interesting twist. drinkable, smells of light citrus and black pepper...earthy taste. thoroughly enjoyable, but i prefer the jai alai...

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

been drinking craft a good while now and finally got around to posting my first review on here!

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Three Floyds teku. Bottled last week.

A: Appearance is a deep hazy orange. Head is pure white and goes away fairly quickly. leaves bits of white lacing around the glass but not a whole lot.

S: Holy Cedar! Cedar absolutely dominates the nose. Maybe a tad bit of citrusy fruit on the end as well.

T: The nose does not lie on this one. Cedar immediately punches you in the mouth. Closest you'll get to taking a bite out of a cigar box. At first 1 or 2 sips you get a lot of cedar but as you continue to drink your palate gets used to it and you pick up a bit of pine as well. Still very cedar forward just not quite as dramatic as the first couple sips.

M: No more than medium body on this one. Not like water but definitely not quite as big as the traditional Jai Alai.

O: Overall this is a great specialty beer. If you do not like beer aged on cedar wood spirals to the max, this isn't the one for you. Don't expect Jai Alai with a hint of cedar. It's clearly part of the "humidor series" for a reason. Drink this on tap at CC all the time and will continue to buy it in 4pks every release. Cheers!

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

Okay, this reminds me exactly like one of my grandmother's hand knit afghans....maybe one that we used as kids outside for picnics once before and then it was put away, with grass blades still stuck to it, and left in her ancient cedar hope chest for months, until it came time to shake it out and wrap up in it while decorating the Christmas tree.
Weird review I know but it is how it makes me feel. This beer is good.

1.37/5  rDev -66%

Served on cask at Capone's in Norristown on 06/08/2011 during their Deschutes event.

Appearance - Looks like grapefruit juice mixed with protein powder. A mudish, orangish brown. No head what so ever with a bit of lacing. Honestly doesn't look like anything that I have ever seen before.

Smell - Like a lumber yard. I actually had a flash back of walking through a lumber yard with my father when I was a kid. There is some citrus mixed in there, but the cedar masks it almost entirely.

Taste - OMG. Cedar. It just kicks you in the teeth, hard. I almost spit it back in my glass. There is some grapefruit and black pepper notes, but yikes, the cedar just simply wrecked my palate. And not in a good way. The aftertaste is pure cedar, which compounds with each additional sip. One word comes to mind, gross. I couldn't get halfway through it before I sent it back.

Mouthfeel - Like it should be consumed with a spoon. I like my Stouts thick, but not my IPAs. Almost no carbonation.

Notes - When I looked at the taplist, I said, "Hmm, never had a cedar aged beer before." Now I know why. Oak or Bourbon barrels compliment or enhance the beer it is aging. Based on this initial encounter, cedar completely changes a beer into cedar juice. Perhaps this would have tasted better ice cold as opposed to from a cask. Maybe a little chill on it would have helped mellow out that hash cedar taste.

I found this video review AFTER I penned mine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Ypfid_5dM , their faces are priceless

3.61/5  rDev -10.4%

A- Some lacing, pours a nice amber color.

S- Strong cedar, but not overpowering. Slight alcohol burn, but not much and it is pleasing with the wood character.

T- Hops up front, citrus and sweet fruit. Then caramel malts, blending into a nice smooth hop bitterness.

M- Medium body with tiny bubbles makes for a great mouth feel in this experimental beer.

O- This is my favorite cigar city beer. The base IPA is great, but aged on cedar makes it a nice occasional treat.

3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

Served in a pint glass from a 750ml bottle. Pours an opaque orange that has absolutely no clarity to it. Has a one finger head that is slowly diminishing with great lacing. Smells is overwhelmingly strong from the citrus, namely grapefruit and some orange. There is no cedar in the nose which is disappointing. There is no cedar anywhere which is even more disappointing. If it weren't cedar aged then it would be a pretty good IPA but since it is supposed to be cedar aged it is a little bit underwhelming. That being said, it is still a very good, very drinkable IPA that should be experienced by anyone who likes the hops. The finish is slightly acidic because of the grapefruit taste that dominates the entire body of the beer. It is not balanced with the hops commanding most of the taste, with little regard to malts anywhere in the body of this beer. It has a good mouthfeel but feels oily on the palate afterwards.

I was originally excited to try this beer but it was underwhelming. It is still good to drink but the cedar is not prevalent whatsoever. Good IPA but I wouldn't go too far out of my way to get it.

3.74/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a very pretty orange hue, resembles apricots to me, but I'm mildly colorblind, so who knows! I like the color but the head is only decent so I can't give this a 5.

The smell is very boring, some mild piney hops and presumably cedar, and definitely didn't impress me as I tilted the glass back for the first time.

The taste, on the other hand, is pretty impressive. A very good balance between the moderate citrus hops and the cedar keeps the beer from getting in to hop bomb territory. I'd be very interested to try the normal Jai Alai to see how these good hops taste when they're on their own.

The mouthfeel is very good, a nice amount of carbonation gives the beer some life in the mouth. Drinkability started out pretty high but it definitely feels boozier as you get down the bottle. Unfortunately for all other IPAs, the standard to me is Pliny and it's pretty damn hard to come close to PtE in drinkability.

Overall, a solid buy and one I might revisit later after I've tried the regular IPA.

firstprev| 376-400 | 401-425 | 426-450  | next → last