Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Happy to find this on the shelf at Total Wine. Bomber poured into a pint glass (wish I had a snifter or tulip); dated Nov 2011 on the label.

Hazy body, dark yellow/orange color, with a three-finger, creamy light tan head. The head has excellent retention and settles into a foamy cap.

The aroma is not really like an IPA but is interesting nonetheless. The cedar/wood notes are prominent, followed by a light earthy hop aroma. Some sweet malt in the background.

The flavor is equally interesting. The hops take a background to the wood flavors. The cedar flavor is again prominent, and as the beer has aged, the hop flavors have obviously faded in favor of the malt. The flavor is good, but I actually think this one would be better with a little more age on it, maybe a year or so to have the flavors blend.

Medium mouthfeel with an oily hop texture. Overall, one of the most unique beers I've ever had and definitely worth a try.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

I've had this a number of times, but have not reviewed, and never out of the 750ml bottle. Think that means it's time for a proper review.

Poured into a tulip glass. Nice appearance...rousing head above a sinister, sparkling reddish-gold. Excellent lacing. A shade darker than I'd expect.

Smell is all IPA to begin with, mostly Pine-Sol with a bit of lemon zest and grapefruit. Some slightly funky overripe strawberry as it warms, I think this is the cedar coming through - I pulled a similar note from the Japanese Classic Ale from Hitachino Nest, also cedar-aged.

The wood doesn't come through quite as much here as in previous batches I'd had, but it's still there. It seems to really serve to dry out any residual sweetness left here; it has that flinty, woody dry finish. Before that, it's the grapefruit and pine you get from the standard Jai-Alai, with some overarching flavor of strawberry-and-whiskey for which I'm crediting the cedar. Still, not as much obvious wood as in earlier batches, I think. The earlier batches were "like licking the floor at Home Depot," lot of wood-shaving taste. This seems to have more balance, with the hops coming through a lot more; it's closer to what you'd typically think of as a beefy IPA.

Feel is rather soft and agreeable, while maintaining plenty of active carbonation. Outstanding. It seems to have the lush feel of a bigger beer, not that 7.5% is exactly small.

At this strength, probably more drinkable than it should be. Yet, I'll stop at 4.0, as it feels like a big beer, and has big-beer flavor.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

A-hazy gold with white head and lacing through out
S-the cedar comes through predominately. I feel like I'm at a lumber store
T-wow very complex. The wood comes through and almost adds a sour taste to it. Nice balance with the hops
M-medium bodied, crisp and dry
O-decent brew. Cedar is overpowering...

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Review from 12/15/10. I'm assuming this is the right Humidor Series IPA. The label looked different, but this is the closest I could find.

The color of this brew is a hazy copper with some hues of peach and amber. The hazy nature is likely the result of bottle conditioning. A white foamy 1 finger thick head forms atop the liquid with good lingering qualities. The only way to rid the beer of its head is to drink it and have the head lace the glass, which it does a good job doing.

A floral bouquet greets my nose with notes of lilac and lily of the valley. Some honey helps smooth the bouquet providing a pleasant balance. I also detect some woody tones.

Starting out the taste is a dose of flowery hops combined with smoked cherry wood. Honey sweetens the deal and mellows the flavors. The bittering in the end reminds me of pine tar but does not take away from what the beer is creating. The sum of flavors equals a very balanced and pleasing IPA.

This beer has a wonderful medium full mouthfeel with some nice creamy qualities. A stinging bitterness gently lingers with a satisfying amount of bitterness.

This is a tasty lovely beer and I would drink it again.

4.29/5  rDev +5.7%

Had this on tap at the brewery a few weeks ago, but this review is from a 750 ml bottle, poured into a tulip.

A: Hazy burnt orange color. The pour produces a little over one finger of fluffy cream colored head that leaves great lacing.

A: Almost perfect nose. I get the simcoe and cascade hops, grapefruit, orange peel, and maybe some honey. But the cedar wood, just acentuates all of these flavors. It is distictly cigar cedar, it smell just like walking into a humidor.

T: Again very nice. I get everything I got in the nose. The cedar is definately different, but welcomed. This is a one of a kind taste. The beer finishes very dry, with no hint of the ABV.

M: Medium body, very good amount of carbonation, makes for a smooth semi-resinous mouthfeel.

D and overall impression: I could only drink one of these 750 ml bottles, not that I couldn't have more, but because of the complexity of this IPA, my palate is ruined. Overall, this is a fantastic beer. Cedar should become a staple for aging beer. Kudos again to Wayne and Joey, just great! Skal.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

From notes, 3-25-11

A - medium cloudy burnt orange body, medium white head with great retention and good lacing.

S - wood and earthy hops

T - earthy vegetal hops, dry wood.

M - medium body, quite smooth. a bit dry.

O (D) - an interesting beer for sure, pretty tasty. It's ok, I would drink this more.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a pint glass. FINALLY, I get to drink this from a bottle. I had this on tap during a Cigar City event at Capone's during Philly Beer Week, but wasn't reviewing at the time. The first bottle I got in trade, I busted. :( So alas, I finally get to do this.

Beer pours a very murky golden-orange. Nearly opaque, which is odd for a beer that's not black (stout, etc). The head on this is voluminous, especially when pouring down the center. Very thick and creamy. Resembles the top of a rootbeer float. Head has serious staying power and provides copious amounts of lacing as it receded down the glass. The nose is heavy on the cedar. Not surprising considering it's the big draw. Usually I notice notice any maltiness in an IPA on the back end of a sip, and in the aftertaste. However, it's right in your face in the nose of this beer. The taste is a wonderful combination of hoppiness, cedar, and that maltiness I spoke of. I would prefer a little more hope and cedar, and a bit less maltiness, however. The mouthfeel is a bit smoky, with a good bit of bitterness. The malty overtones of this beer persist from the nose, straight through to the finish. Overall, this is a fabulous twist to the stock Jai Alai. Each taste is a sip of beer and a draw from a cigar at the same time. Nice treat. Glad I have 2 more in the fridge.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

A - A caramel golden color. Nice 1 finger head and sticky lace all over the glass.

S - Piny hops and cedar. Wow, excellent...

T - Cedar and pine hops. Grapefruit galore. Sweet.

M - Medium bodied and well carbonated.

O - A very good IPA. Cedar adds a great touch, but is not overwhelming. An excellent version of the Jai Alai

4.39/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reddish gold colored, that pours with a three-quarter inch off-white head that collapses quickly. Nose is cedar, citrus and black pepper. Taste is lots of cedar, with a touch of lemon and a dry, bitter, astringent finish. Feel is substantial but not thick, with a lot of bubbly carbonation. This is an interesting twist on one of my favorite IPAs.

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 750 mL bottle into shaker pint glass.
A: Pours a clear golden color with 1 inch bubbly white head. Decent retention. Faint lace.
S: Nice cedar and hops. Pine and pineapple notes. Hint of guava and black pepper. Fresh and pleasant.
T: Holy hops! Cedar is still present, but not as nicely balanced as in the aroma. I'm sure there's more there, but the hop bomb obliterates everything else.
M: Very bitter from the overpowering hops. Light body. Slightly oily feel.
D: I'm a little over half-way through a pint of this one and having difficulty continuing. This started out promising, but took a nose-dive. Although I'd still say this is above average overall, I wouldn't recommend it. Don't go out of your way for this one.

4.51/5  rDev +11.1%

750 ml bottle from the Rare Beer of the Month Club; poured into a goblet.

A - Beer is orange-amber and slightly cloudy but not opaque. It has a thin, incomplete layer of off white foam and lots of lacing on the glass.

S - The aroma is amazingly complex and inviting. Its base is the super-hoppy, grapefruit smell of a classic West Coast IPA. On top of that is the spicy wood aroma of a fine cigar box and a whiff of alcohol.

T - The taste is first dominated by hop bitterness and grapefruit notes, then the cedar wood flows in. The wood both mellows and adds complexity to the taste. There are also some malt notes and alcohol.

M - The mouthfeel is light enough to be drinkable but has enough body to be suitable for the style. The alcohol is warming.

D - This beer is definitely for sipping and contemplating, not chugging. American IPAs are not my thing and I'm not a hophead, but I am a huge fan of this beer. The flavor and aroma are among the most complex and interesting I've ever had. The cedar character is incredible and very similar to the effect Dogfish Head gets with Palo Santo wood.

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

Third person in a row reviewing this beer from the firkin at Capones in Norristown PA during PBW. Poured from firkin into a regular pint glass.

A: Immediately I looked and thought of apple cider. Exact same color as fresh apple cider. A real murky, chunky brownish orange color with very minimal head. Not much glass lacing.

S: Cedar aged? You bet it is. Huge (I mean huge) smell of cedar coupled with the citric hops and sweet caramel malt. Still, the cedar seems to overpower the other smells.

T: First sip brings cedar (shocking) but it does get mixed with the classic Jai Alai citrus hops and heavy caramel sweetness. Pineapple, orange and slight grapefruit rind give some woody bitterness that quickly gives way to the heavy caramel sweetness. Cedar flavors stick throughout. Finish for me turned sweet, especially as it warmed. At the end of the glass the beer got very sweet upon finish. I'm not getting a drying finish at all as someone else mentioned. Woody sweetness here.

M: Sweet, full, woody, alcohol well hidden slight bitterness.

O: Ok, I'm going to be different here and say I enjoyed this a bit. I like the cedar idea, but it for sure needs toning down to allow the Jai Alai flavors to come out more. I will disagree with the 2 other reviews and say I had no problem finishing the glass, but I can say I didn't want another one.

Overall this was a very interesting beer that I was still very glad to try. As I said, tone down the cedar a bit and see how that turns out. A rare beer (via cask no less) that I'm super happy Matt at Capones was able to secure. Nicely done whether you like the beer or not.

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a deep, deep murky burnt gold. Cloudy. Big foamy light tan head with good retention and nice lace.

Big sweet nose with plenty of hops. Syrupy sweet aroma.

Wow. Bold flavor. Big hops and a mild malt sweetness in the finish. Cedar lingers on the tongue in the finish. Nice sweetness mixed with the bold hops. Strong bitter aftertaste.

Full and smooth in the mouth. Somewhat oily.

Very nice well crafted brew. Full flavor. Real enjoyed.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Pours a hop-hazed bright gold color with a fluffy head. Retention is good.

S: Ceder, wet wood, bright/earthy hops, and a firm malt base. Pretty straight forward, but really unique and delicious

T: Almost like Jai Alai with a ton of ceder...lots of wood, wet wood, bitter hops, touch of vanilla and a little spice. Hops are pretty citrusy, but the wood plays well off it

MF/D: Semi-dry feel, medium in body, ceder finish.

Notes: Really glad I picked this up...very unique, but very delicious. Not necessarily to-style or anything, but I can't seem to put it down.

4.34/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750ml magnum bottle, bought from the brewery for $9, poured into a small snifter.

Appearance: Dark-orange, ruby red-ish color with a light tan head. A quarter inch of tight foam reduces to a thin, spotty layer within a couple minutes. Not completely clear, but not cloudy either. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Cedar is very prominent but mixes well with the sweet, resinous, citrusy hop aroma. A bit of caramel maltiness comes through the wood upon subsequent whiffs. A very complementary mix of wood and hops which usually doesn't work for me.

Taste: Appropriately tastes like what you smell in a humidor but not overwhelmingly so. A bit of muted vanilla in the middle and a lingering pine/fir flavor from the mix of cedar and West-Coast hops (at least some Centennial I assume) in the finish. A slightly sweet caramel flavor is present throughout and is well balanced by a decent amount of bitterness, although not enough IBUs to stand out among the other strong flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation. A smooth mouthfeel, aided by the cedar which also has a slightly drying effect in the back of the mouth after a while. The wood really lingers in a good way and mixes with the caramel sweetness which hangs around as well.

Drinkability: Not a session beer with all these big flavors, but it really hides the alcohol well. I probably could have drank the whole bottle even though I split it; I'll be back for more as this is a completely different beer than the straight-up Jai Alai.

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing