Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009)

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured into a snifter.

Pours a murky and dirty brownish/orange color with a thin white head on top with decent head retention. Sheets of bubbly lacing lined the glass nicely. The aromas were heavily laden with the cedar as it shined the whole way through. Underneath the cedar, however, was a nice duo of pineapple and grapefruit, earthy hops and pine, as well as honey sweetness.

Taste mirrored the aromas quite well with the cedar being the most noticeable flavor above all. The balance of malts and hops is quite evident from the first sip with the cedar just cutting through. It surrounds the palate nicely and finishes upon a gentle hop bitterness. Quite crisp and dry throughout, but still as satisfying.

Mouthfeel was light to medium-bodied with adequate amounts of carbonation on the inner cheeks and tongue. Drinkability was quite good.. the cedar puts the whole taste experience on another level that I've never had before. I had to refill my glass after completing my first- the flavors were very intriguing. Never thought cedar would work well with an IPA until this CC beer. Prost!

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Certainly interesting, being aged on cedar. Pours like most any other Jai Alai with a smell of hops and faint cedar. As the brew warms up the cedar smell become not only more apparent but dominant. It helps bring out the citrus flavors and other bitters in the beer. It has a unique woodiness that I've never tasted before until this medium has come bearing the flavor. Cedar imparts its own bitterness as a very flavor altering aging ingredient. A must try.

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

Opened and it started gushing out of the top, smells slightly infected to me.

Pours a cloudy orange color with a HUGE white head and huge bubbles. Not characteristic for an ipa, or the one I had a few months ago.

Smells like cedar, hops, and I get a hint of gueuze and cherry. It kind of tastes like wild devil with cedar, which is not that bad.

Taste follows the smell. Tastes slightly like vinegar, and a little bit of cherry. Cedar on the end. Its actually not too bad.

Mouthfeel is full and carbonated.

Drinkability is alright. The sour flavors don't belong and its going to be a chore to get through the 750.

Not as bad as you'd think, but its infected for sure.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Thanks to Gabor the primo Penn Station beer man for this nugget which I can't find around here. Poured cold from a capped 750 into a pint glass.

A-Mostly clear bright copper with a thick creamy eggshell head. Enticing looking brew.

S-Wow...the cedar really packs a punch in the nose, think of raw cut cedar and you get the idea. Caramel malts and some earthy hops are also present in the nose.

T-Intitial sweet caramel malts immediately give way to robust citrus hops that are utterly infused with cedar. Now I have no idea what cedar tastes like, but I'm tasting the smell for sure. The cedar seems to flatten the citric nature of the hops and adds its own unique lingering finish, with the bittering hops lasting well through the end of the tongue numbing palate. Some fellow BA's have tried this and say the cedar is overpowering, and I can sort of get that, but to me, it adds a refreshing level of complexity to an IPA (and admittedly, I've never tried the regular Jai Alai) that I find both refreshing and delicious.

M-Well balanced carbonation, and creamy for the style. Spot on.

D-A standout in a field where it is really hard to produce something wonderful and unique. I will buy this again any time I can find it.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Something completely unexpected, thanks you trader nation. At first your a bit taken by the cedar, but then you get through that taste and realize this is quite a drinkable beer, and quite tasty.
Aroma is a cloudy orange, light head.
Smell is really just old cigar in my opinion, but it works, nothing like those days in colllege drinking a coors light and puffing on a CAO and thinking it was awesome, this works.
Taste is dominated by the cedar, but clears up and finished woody and earthy, not really an IPA, but tasty.
Pretty drinkable, and unique. The flavors carry through the beer enough to finish it off. Not for every night, but still solid.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a rich copper color with a 2 finger solid cream colored head. Very strong lacing sticking to the glass.

The only way I can describe the smell would be to fill a humidor with an IPA. The cedar is the strongest point and it smells great, the other pine and hop scents are just added to by it.

The cedar is strong in the finish of the beer. Otherwise the beer is a typical IPA. Strong pine bitterness is prominent with little to no malt flavor.

Medium body with active carbonation. Easy to drink but the cedar is strong.

Cigar City Brewing, India Pale Ale Humidor Series aged on Spanish Cedar. 7.5% Alcohol as stated on site not bottle. This beers label must have had a face-lift because the pic is different but has some similarities. 750ml bottle pour into German Becker.

A- Pours a deep orange fluid that is almost firey red in color producing a huge off white head of about an inch and a half. Thick pillowy lacing cling to the glass with nice vigor.

S- I have to admit that the inital scent is in fact of a bitter Cedar and malt mix. Undertones include alcohol esters, earthy tones and slight caramel.

T-M- After taking a quaff of this stuff I found out what it was made of real quick. Very balanced earthy hops that are melded by a perfect mix of dark malts. Flavors include light grapefruit, tangy oranges, cedar wood, earth and semi sweet chocolate malts. (In that order.) Mouthfeel is excellent with a creamy charactor and light carbonated feel that just rolls down the tongue with such ease.

D- Drinkablity is wonderful in the aspect that it is mild and not over the top at all. Flavors are balanced and set up well for a session of IPA drinking... good beer... cheers!

1.58/5  rDev -61.1%

Appearance - really??? is this the bottom of my latest primary fermenter or a finished beer? Murky like grapefruit juice mixed 50/50 with half and half.

Smell - cedar closet, cedar chest, fresh cut cedar.

Taste - ughh, cedar again? Did I just lick my cedar closet? maybe some hops but the cedar kills them quick.

Mouthfeel - unfiltered, medium bodied, but thick. Like the last pour of a 1/2 keg of a rich heffeweizen. Again a big "Ughhhh".

Overall - based on this beer, cedar is the last species of wood I would choose to age my beer in, regardless of style, go lick some cedar and see if you want your beer infused with the flavor.

Just read the review below and wondering if cigar city sent us some bottom of the barrel crap jai alai for beer week? Calling all old Jai alai bottles, you are wanted to join a special cask of recycled "humidor series" I would love to post a picture of this murky mess!

I recall telling the bartender "that was the hardest beer to get through in a long time!" If that is not saying something then i don't know what will.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving style - poured into

A - Pours with a fairly thick head. Color is an opaque amber. Really quite a beautiful beer.

S - Lots of orange peel in the smell of this thing. It definitely dominates the smell of the beer. Slight hints of cedar.

T - Again, very orange-tasting. Almost like I'm eating an orange, peel and all. There are hints of other citrus fruits in there as well, but orange is definitely the dominant taste.

M - Not nearly as carbonated as the amount of head would indicate. This beer is quite balanced and enjoyable on the mouth.

D - Quite drinkable. Not overly bitter like many IPAs, which makes it quite easy to enjoy.

Overall not one of my favorite IPAs I've ever had, but fairly decent. Lacking in complexity and really gets overwhelmed by the orange smell/taste, but other than that a solid beer.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Received this bottle in my first trade with Bucwild, his first trade ever as well! Thanks again and hope to have many more trades!

Appearance- Pours a beautiful orange-tinged amber with a massive white head. I shared this one with a visiting guest to our glass studio on our farm and the first glass poured with about three and a half fingers off a relatively mild pour. The second glass I was a little more careful, but still ended up with about two and a half fingers. The head stuck around for quite awhile too, eventually dying down to about a quarter finger that stuck around over the surface of the beer. Carbonation beaded throughout the drinking experience as well and perhaps most impressive were the massive amounts of sticky lacing left down the side of the glass as I drank.

Smell- The smell was very unique in terms of the IPA's that I've encountered. There was a great deal of fruity/citrusy hops present, giving it the typical grapefruit scents of many IPA's. That being said, the hops definitely tilted towards citrus rather than pine or resin. However, in addition to the typical IPA notes, the cedar really came through. It was almost like smelling the inside of an empty cigar box. Very unusual but very interesting and pleasant I thought.

Taste- Interesting yet again. Big notes of grapefruit and citrus up front. However, unlike the usual drying hop bite that follows these initial flavors in an IPA, the cedar immediately follows the citrus. It is less prominent as cedar per se than in the nose but here has the effect of really smoothing out the hop bitterness of the IPA. As such, this is really a rather fruity, mild tasting IPA. While this isn't what you might expect as an IPA, it is certainly a unique experience and one that I could appreciate.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- A really heavy and sticky mouthfeel. Very chewy and somewhat unusual yet again as it lacked the drying bitterness of the IPA's I'm used to. Great level of carbonation however. I will say though that on the whole I found this beer to be a touch too sweet to drink too much of.

Overall, a very unique experience that might not be everyone's cup of tea, especially hop heads. However, I found it interesting and enjoyable. Go into this one with an open mind and you might just like it quite a bit.

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Huge thanks to moose3285 for this beer in a recent trade.

A: Orange in color with a 3 finger white head. The head has excellent retention and lacing, but was too large on initial poor.

S: I smell more of the barrel here than the base IPA, lots of woodiness

T: I feel like the main thing the cedar aging does to this beer, as compared to the regular jai-lai is that it adds a little bit of woodiness to the finish and tames the bitterness somewhat. There's some pine up front, but I don't get much citrus.

M: Over carbonated in my opinion. Otherwise this beer has a good mouthfeel and a pleasant aftertaste.

D: This beer goes down easy and is quite enjoyable. Besides the high level of carbonation that may give me an upset stomach, I feel it is pretty drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

Bottle courtesy of Aiptasia.

A- Pours a hazy dark orange with a two finger white head with good retention. A few lines of lacing are left behind.

S- Earthy oak upfront followed by red apples, lemon juice, grapefruit, orange and a hint of caramel malt.

T- Citrus notes with lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit as well as red apple, caramel malt and a strong oak flavor, which is a bit too harsh and overpowering. It did get a bit smoother as the beer warmed up a bit.

M- Medium carbonation and body with a dry finish.

O- This was as advertised with the oak being prominent in the aroma and taste. I did think it was a little too overpowering in the taste which hurt the drinkability, but certainly not a bad effort from CCB.

4.29/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beer has a dark almost amber color with very little head after the first few seconds. It smells much better than I anticipated from a barrel aged ipa. Huge tropical fruit and grapefruit nose with just a touch of cedar. The taste follows suit, at first, but the finish is almost all cedar. This adds a lot of complexity to the beer giving it notes of wood, tobacco and leather. I didn't think I would like this beer, but it exceeded my expectations by a lot. I would love to try the base beer, but this was for sure the best barrel aged ipa I've tried.

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing