Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 919 | Reviews: 451
4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

I must say that Cigar City is about the only saving grace in the beer world down here in Florida after moving down from NC. Served from a 750 into a Harpoon IPA glass, one of my faves for ipas. Pours a murky orange color with amber highlights and hues, topped with a decent sized, slightly off white colored head that is thick and foamy and leaves tons of lacing down the sides of the glass. Head retention was quite nice also.

Aroma was very typical of the standard Jai Alai beer that is offered. I have had the normal JA plenty of times. I was a little disappointed that the cedar didn't shine more but as a stand alone beer (not comparing this one to the OG) this is still a very nice beer. No real cedar in the aroma. Plenty of hoppiness in the way of citrus and pine with hints of floral notes.

I did get some cedar in the extreme aftertaste on this one which was nice and "refreshing". Solid flavored all around for this one.

Another solid offering from CCB. I hope to try other humidor series beers from these guys.

3.25/5  rDev -20%

Received in a trade with NYBrews a couple moths ago, this one got lost in the back of the fridge until now. Poured into 16oz nonic. Poured over 4 inches of head on the initial pour, less than 1/8 inch of beer at the bottom. This problem would continue throughout the bottle. When there was finally enough beer to look at, the beer was a slightly hazy, very attractive orange-gold color.

The aroma was good, some malts showing through the citrusy hops. The flavors were also good, those same citrus hops on a nice malt base. Maybe I tasted a bit of cedar, or perhaps it was the power of suggestion.

The body was good, full, sharp and dry, but the finish was a bit harshly bitter. Drinkability was good, but is losing a half-point because I ended up drinking as much head as I did beer. Overall a pretty nice brew, almost a must try. You should give it a shot if you see it, and it's probably worth setting up a trade for.

4.07/5  rDev +0.2%

Cigar City Humidor IPA
Poured from a bottle into a glass
A: Brown, with a decent head that takes a while to fade.
S: Fruity, Grapefruit, lemon, some pine and hop notes very complex.
T: Fruity, the hops are not as front forward as they could be.
M: Some hops but you can taste the barrel aged part of this beer. Complex, reminiscent of liquor.
O: good for an IPA, I wouldn’t buy it again mostly because it’s expensive but certainly a good full bodied beer.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Reviewing the Humidor Series Cedar-Aged Jai Alai IPA from Cigar City Brewing out of Tampa Bay, Florida.
Score: 88

Bottle is from November 2011. Served in a snifter glass and enjoyed on 06/23/12 at the inaugural Chicago craft beer lovers meeting.

Appearance: Hazy/murky golden orange color with minimal head and lacing. It is a little hard to discern much "appearance" from my pour size on this one, but nothing really stood out to me about the color. 3.5/5

Smell: Huge waves of cigar box cedar hit upfront. I love the smell of cedar, so this was quite awesome. Behind the cedar is malty orange, pepper and a little onion. Pineapple with a hint of hops too. 4/5

Taste: Bring on the cigars! This beer tastes like you are standing inside a humidor! Though the hops are almost entirely faded here, left behind is a residual bitterness and oily blend of peppery cedar flavor and malty orange citrus. Easy drinking. 4/5

Mouthfeel: Light-medium bodied, medium carbonation. Nice peppery-cedar kick on the tongue. Quite malty. 3.75/5

Overall: I was not going to review this when I saw the bottle date, but then I found that I surprisingly enjoyed this stale IPA. I will be seeking out a fresh bottle of this upon its next release in a couple of weeks. Yum!

Recommendation: If you like cedar and cigars, seek this one out.

Pairings: Big, fat Cuban cigars.

Cost: $10.99 for a 750 ml bottle.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

3.25/5  rDev -20%

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Barrel aging IPAs can be a very dangerous thing in my opinion. So much risk of obliterating character and just wrecking the ship. This one works for me. There are the IPA tones that area clear and evident with the barrel influences that combine to provide a nice drinking experience. It's a little boozy at times, but it works for me. P.S. Mild gusher here and a whole lotta head too.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

In spite of a slight geyser upon opening (okay, it was a massive geyser), this beer pours with a manageable head, ivory colored and stable atop a hazed cinnamon-orange body. Kinda like a hefeweizen. Kinda.

The aroma is gorgeous. Full disclosure: the smell of cedar makes me very nostalgic as it reminds me of the time I spent in Japan, and my favorite beer is Hitachino Nest JCA, also aged in cedar. This smells like that – but ramped up a notch or two. Full on peppery cedar dominates, almost to the exclusion of all other aromas, but they're there: guava, cinnamon, lime, dulce de leche, bitter otange, coriander... I could go on, but I'll just stop there and say that it's lovely.

The flavor is more cedary spice, lots of wholegrain toast spread with dark honey, apple pie, resinous bitterness, and clove. There seems to be a touch of tannins here as well, giving this a slightly tea-like edge. Soft carbonation leads into a dry finish with a lingering woody bitterness.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Looking for something different to drink tonight and boy did I find it. Forgot I even had this in the cellar.

I was surprised to see the variation in reviews for this beer. Granted this is a very unique beer but the reviews are all over the map. Any way, here we go.

Pours a cloudy orange color with about 1/2 inch cream colored head that fades pretty quickly. Bottle conditioned, so watch your pour.

Smells like the name implies; malt, cedar and tobacco.

My initial impression was alot of grapefruit flavor with a background of pepper and spice. As the beer warmed the cedar and tobacco really begin to come out.

Carbonation wasn't overwhelming and mouthfeel overall was fairly light for a beer with this much flavor.

Overall, one of the most unique and interesting beers I've had in a while. Not something I would drink on a regular basis but a good one to throw in the rotation when you are looking for something different.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing