Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009)
4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big boy magnum bottle via milwaukeeclassic via an in-person trade at Darkness Day. Thanks again, Duane.

Murky orange unfiltered pour with a boatload of sticky lacing and cling.

Massive pepper on the nose overrides any major elements from the base. Underlying sweetness is subtle and cannot overcome the condimental pepper slap. While not IPA-ish, it's enjoyable but one-dimensional.

Cedar becomes evident right away and pepper rides hard. Underlying IPA base presents sweet and the hops are mostly muted and mild. Not sure I would peg this as an IPA without prior knowledge, but it's quite good.

Carbonation is a bit high while the cedar aging leaves the finish dry while the hops juiciness pushes hard against the dryness. Funny how the hops seem to showcase themselves best in the mouthfeel and not in the taste. Not sure that makes sense as it confounds me a bit as well, but damn it if I don't feel it.

Good, enjoyable, surprising, drinkable. Those are four words I enjoy.

BarrytheBear, Nov 21, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Glad to try some of the Cigar City lineup this week. Hopefully I will get to try more before the week is out. 750ml bottle...

A: A murky iced tea color with a small off white head that fades at a decent pace and leaves a layer of lace on top of the brew. Good.

S: I get a blend of mild hop, cinnamon, and some nutmeg. I quickly get some maple and cedar in the middle and sweet malt on the backend. Decent.

T: I get a blend quickly upfront. Earthy hop, mild grapefruit, some mild cinnamon, and some piney spices. I get some cedar hints in the middle and a watery floral flavor on the backend. Good.

M: Full body with a great carbonation. Thick on the finish. Very good.

D: This one goes down incredibly easy. Perfect!

All in all, I like this version better than the White Oak version. Definitely worth a try if you like a malt and hop blend in your IPA. If you want bitter brutal hop, this is not for you.

steve8robin, Nov 17, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a hazy orange-ish/ yellow color with an off white head. In the aroma, mix of pine and citrus hops and a hint of wood. In the taste, starts with pine hops and leads into orange citrus hops at the end, a bit woody and nice malt backing. A small hop bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry orange citrus hop in the aftertaste. Nice citrus hop and just a hint of wood.

OWSLEY069, Nov 16, 2010

750mL bottle poured into tulip glass

Pours a clouded orange auburn with a thin film of wispy film, leaving some eventual treads of lacing.

A unique blend of light wood, piny hops and fruit in the nose.

Cedar is apparent up front with some juicy yet piny hops. Resiny flavors and herbal spice mix in. Smoother woodiness and caramel malt with toasted bread in the middle. Overall richness is apparent for the style. Finishes warm and dry.

Fairly creamy and fuller feel with some dryness. Solid drinking and flavor, alcohol is under control too. I suppose this makes Jai Alai even better, or at least adds a new dimension to the beer, although I was expecting a little bit more.

xnicknj, Nov 15, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +20.7%

This beer is amazing.

A - Nice, foamy head with a light amber color. Impressive.

S - Cedar, Pepper, subtle smoke and tobacco.

T - Wow. Lots of flavors as described in the nose. Mostly the Spanish Cedar and Pepper are predominant, with a nice balance of hops and a slight bitterness as expected by the Jai Lai IPA. The palate is well balanced and the finish has me craving more. I'm not sure if this could be any better.

M - Medium bodied, nothing too over-bearing. I'm not sure if this could be anymore well balanced.

D - Give me another bomber please.

I think any experienced beer aficionado will appreciate and understand the magnitude of how wonderful this beer is. The Spanish Cedar really provides personality that easily conquers any other wood dominant beer that I've ever had. Easily one of my top ten favorite beers. Exceptional job, Cigar City. As usual.

WholeFoodsDerek, Nov 15, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Cigar city recently expanded their brewing capacity, and the 750ml bottle of Humidor series IPA that I got to try in Long Island NY is a direct result of that. THANK YOU!

I absolutely loved this IPA.

A - A stunning mahogany-apricot. Smooth and creamy head with great retention. One of the best looking IPA's I've ever seen.

S - Grapefruit laced with light resiny cedar

T - Bursting with citrus. I can't believe how clear the flavors are. The profile includes some bitter-boozy Campari, but is dominated by sweet white grapefruit and blood orange. Clean cedar flavors play a supporting role and avoid the "in your face because I'm on the label" cliches. Smooth malt shows up early in the mid profile and hangs around to tie everything together. Very well done.

M - Smooth, medium body. Mild effervescence with a light boozy feel.

D - Very drinkable for the style. IPA's can wear out your palate in a hurry, but the juicy citrus of the beer kept me coming back for more.

O - A delicious, edgy IPA that pushes the style in directions other than the IBU arms race that's dominated American IPAs over the past few years. Cigar City - keep up the good work!

vfgccp, Nov 13, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -2%

Thanks to dimenhetfield for this one! 750mL brown glass champagne bottle capped. No freshness date. Bottle is different than picture with a large "H" right in the center of it.

Pours a beautiful amber orange with thick cascading tan head. Hazy but vibrant. Nose reminds me of a British bottle conditioned IPA with some plastic-y hops. Lots of preserved oranges/marmalade, honey and a floral quality like lavender. Big and citrusy.

Palate is bright and fleshy with orange pulp flavor and then the cedar creeps out and flashes before letting the hops take over again. Pine resin and herbs round things out. Bitter, but round and dense.

Spicy peppery cedar plays a supporting role and is not ever aggressive. This is the best wood-aged IPA I've had yet and it all owes to the fact that the cedar is adding flavor without taking over. Cedar can be tricky and these guys nailed it. Well done.

SFLpunk, Nov 09, 2010

Cigar City Brewing, India Pale Ale Humidor Series aged on Spanish Cedar. 7.5% Alcohol as stated on site not bottle. This beers label must have had a face-lift because the pic is different but has some similarities. 750ml bottle pour into German Becker.

A- Pours a deep orange fluid that is almost firey red in color producing a huge off white head of about an inch and a half. Thick pillowy lacing cling to the glass with nice vigor.

S- I have to admit that the inital scent is in fact of a bitter Cedar and malt mix. Undertones include alcohol esters, earthy tones and slight caramel.

T-M- After taking a quaff of this stuff I found out what it was made of real quick. Very balanced earthy hops that are melded by a perfect mix of dark malts. Flavors include light grapefruit, tangy oranges, cedar wood, earth and semi sweet chocolate malts. (In that order.) Mouthfeel is excellent with a creamy charactor and light carbonated feel that just rolls down the tongue with such ease.

D- Drinkablity is wonderful in the aspect that it is mild and not over the top at all. Flavors are balanced and set up well for a session of IPA drinking... good beer... cheers!

wesbrownyeah, Nov 08, 2010

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a golden copper color into my tulip. Thin white head without much retention or lacing. The nose is citrus, floral, and slight pine hops with a good dose of cedar. Taste is cedar wood and bitterness, leading to a pretty dry feel. Drinks well, though I prefer the original.

Thorpe429, Nov 08, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

Drank from a 1 pint 9.4 fl.oz. bottle
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a slightly hazed, deep orangey-amber color with a billowing, four-finger head of light tan foam. Thick, sticky chunks of lacing coated the glass from top to bottom. Possibly the most impressive lacing I have ever seen.

Lots of powdery, dry yeastiness came through in the nose. Slightly spicy. Apparently some of this spicy dryness was from the cedar aging. Moderately hoppy and fruity. Citrus notes were apparent. A touch sweet. Caramel malts were also noticeable, and they became more prominent as the beer warmed.

The flavor profile was super hoppy and complex, yet very well balanced. Lots of caramel malt sweetness up front. This beer almost falls into barleywine territory. Peaches, apricots, tangerines and tropical fruit notes came through in the center. Mango and pineapple were quite apparent. Slightly piney on the back end. The finish was crisp and just a touch bitter. I would guess that the cedar aging helped mellow out much of the bitterness from the hops.

The body was somewhat syrupy yet thinner than I anticipated. Carbonation was fine and medium.

Drinkability was impressive, as this beer is quite tasty and hides its alcohol prowess remarkably well.

I sampled this beer both on-tap and from the bottle and each time I thought it was fantastic. My only complaint would be the somewhat thin mouthfeel and the fact that I could hardly detect any cedar nuances. In any case, this is an interesting and highly drinkable IPA.

Damian, Nov 06, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +9.6%

The beer pours slightly hazy and copper in color with a huge 4 finger light tan head with giant bubbles. Over the few minutes it took me to get my computer set up the head has slowly begun to fade, but the lacing clings strong to the edges of the glass. The nose is full of pine and citrus hops along with a grounded earthy character.

With the first sip I'm struck with bitter grapefruit, and then as that initial flavor starts to fade the cedar starts to take over. It reminds me of what you would hope a humidor would taste like if you licked it. The key point there is "what you would hope", I'm sure if you licked a humidor it would taste nasty.

The finish is very dry and invites you to take the next sip. This is overall a fantastic beer. Traditional Jai Alai is an amazing beer, but this cedar aged version takes it to such a different level. I need to pick up more cigar city beers.

jlandis, Nov 01, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a dark slightly hazy amber color with a generous amount of white sticky, soapy head leaving ample sticky bubbly lacing on the goblet and a nice lasting soapy-looking, white, bubbly cap.

Aromas are begin with lemon, orange, and slight grapefruit hoppiness. Then you get some biscuity and pale sweet maltiness. On top of that is the spicy yet subdued wood aroma of a fine cigar box and a small hint of alcohol. It really, really smells like a empty cedar cigar box, that is crazy...

The tastes begin with biscuity malts and light pale malt sweetness, but then you get a nice light hop bitterness and flavor highlighted by lemon, orange and grapefruit notes, just like the nose; then the cedar wood flavors flows in. The wood both mellows and adds complexity to the taste.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation; light enough to be drinkable but has enough body to stand up and complement the complex cedar-aged flavors. Finish is on the drier side thanks to the "higher" ABV but mainly the wood-aging. I wouldn't classify it as crisp or clean because the citrus hops are still quite apparent; extraordinarily balanced between clean malt bodied, sticky (hops), sweet (malt again), bitter (hops) and dry (cedar) is my "expert" analysis.

Overall this beer was a treat. I really, really enjoy wood aged IPAs because the oak aging allows the hops to take a lesser role, and in a way, balance the beer to an almost American Pale Ale hoppiness level. The flavor and aroma are quite complex and interesting and worth while to savor. The cedar character is incredible and Cigar City has really mastered and yet still continues to revolutionize this style in my opinion. I have met few wood-aged beers I dislike, but this one stands out because the cedar is so prevalent/distinct and makes this worth seeking out if you can find it relatively fresh.

claspada, Nov 01, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

A: This brew presents a perfect appearance, with a massive, rocky head, great retention, crystal clarity, and a light copper tint.

S: Bouquet is well presented, with heavy doses of Pacific northwest hops. No cedar is found in the nose.

T: Body is off-dry, with heavy emphasis on the PNW hops. Pine and citrus give way to a juicy malt sweetness. I really can't pick up on any cedar though.

M: The body is full, with a touch of tingly carbonation and hop astringency.

D: Overall, a great IPA and definitely worth checking out. I have to knock of a few points though due to the absence of anything resembling cedar. Since the label suggested pairing a cigar, I took the liberty of pairing this with an Onyx Robusto, after enjoying the beer solo, of course.

Avagadro, Oct 31, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

via trade with BastionShaw

Poured from a 750ml into Boulevard Smokestack Goblet. Unsure of freshness as I did not see a freshness date. I didn't expect too much from this as it had pegged my 'over-hype' meter into the danger zone.

The aroma from across the room -- as I did not pour this myself -- was unreal. A nice combination of hops and 'weird' wood (cedar) in the nose. Not a typical crazy west coast hop aroma, which was a welcome surprise.

Visually, it is a nice looking beer, but nothing too special. The pour was good, but the head didn't make a lasting impression. Amber color with a delicate off white foam.

Wow, there is a lot going on when this beer hits the tongue. The combination of the cedar -- which I dislike in some other beers -- with whatever else is happening here gives a very tannic, tobacco-like sensation. It almost feels like a gimmick coming from a brewery named 'Cigar City', but it's so different from any other beer I have tasted, that I can't help but want more. A tempered, but sturdy, hop flavor balances the cedar perfectly. The malt is just enough to provide some structure, but I could use a smidge more. Flavor wise, this is one of the more interesting beers, I've tasted. I really enjoy this beer.

Mouthfeel is spot on for what I need out of a wood aged IPA. Enough carbonation to scrub with enough body to keep it from becoming a hot cedar mess. It's perfect for what this beer needs.

Drinkability: Well, as much as I love this beer, it's not the most drinkable bottle in the bunch. I split the 750 with one person, and it was almost too much. After every taste, I let go of my glass while the 'tannic' woody flavors took hold. I really wanted more, but I needed a quick break after every pull. Alcohol is completely hidden, but the cedar / tobacco balance really dries the mouth. Split 3 ways, I would be clamoring for more, but 2 ways was almost more than I wanted.

Overall, I would love to have another bottle of this. Actually, I'd love 2. One to cellar away (yes, the heresy!!!) to see how the hops and cedar play over the years, and another to drink soon.

This is a great beer. The hype may be overblown, but not by much. You should try it at least once. I'd like to have more.

gwguest, Oct 30, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

A huge thanks to erikkoppin for this great beer! Cheers!

Appearance - Pours a clear amber color into my SA Perfect Pint. About a finger and a half worth of tan head is achieved with a moderate pour, leaving some decent lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Pine, bitter hops, citrus flavors such as orange and lemon. There is a distinct earthiness to the nose also, and I can definitely smell the cedar.

Taste - A well done east coast IPA. While this is a bit more sweet than the nose, it is a very balanced beer. The bitter hops are at the forefront which melds with semi-bitter citrus flavors explained in the smell. The whole thing ends with a slight caramel/malt backbone toning down the bitterness, but not making it a cloyingly sweet IPA. As the beer warms more grassy/earthy notes come through, and I really can taste the cedar (or is it all in my head?)/

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

Drinkability - Quite so. I'm quaffing this down right now without an issue. No alcohol taste nor burn. A very nice IPA and am very glad I was able to try it. Went into this expecting the "worst" knowing it was from technically the east coast (no offense everyone, just don't like many east coast IPAs). Damn drinkable.

SpdKilz, Oct 28, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

750 mL bottle poured into a balloon glass. Thanks to chowdahead for sharing this one. I was a little skeptical of cedar aging, but that went away instantly. This is a fantastic aged IPA, where the hop presence was still strong, and the caramel notes subdued by the bite of the cedar, which I loved. I recently tried Southern Tier Oak Aged Unearthly, and loved it, but I may tip my cap to this one a little more. A great beer to try should it cross your path.

ElGallo, Oct 27, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +1%

Pours an extremely hazed orange amber color with moderate poof of off white head, decent retention and sticky lacing with some oily residue. Scent is dominated by tropical and citrus - grapefruit and mango - backed up by some pine and ceder scents. Only a faint hint of pale malts. Taste brings tropical fruits backed up by some grapefruit - the ceder aging adds a hint of pine but also softens the bitterness. Slightly noticeable alcohol presence. Nice medium body, oily with a very very dry finish. A really really good base beer in Jai Alai, but to be honest, the ceder aging only really softens the bitterness and adds a modest touch of character.

rfgetz, Oct 24, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

A- Pours and nice orange color.

S- Picking up orange lemon and even mangos and even a hint of cedar.

T-Hops with notes of mangos and orange and lemon. Alittle woodsy after taste from the cedar.

M- semi dry crisp alot of flavors going on through out the sip.

D- I like this beer series love to try more.

Cheers...

SamuelJackson45, Oct 23, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

I love the smell of cedar and cooking with it so this beer couldn't go wrong! Pours an amazing opaque ruby color with a fine white head. Smell is very cedary with some mild pineyness and citrus notes. Taste is cedar forward with some ruby red grapefruit in the hops and a smooth clean finish. It is a beaver's dream!

Portertime, Oct 22, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

A- Poured into a DFH snifter... Starts with a very nice white pillowy head with very nice retention and lacing. Beer is a cloudy amber color

S- Has a nice aroma... somewhat sweet. Thought I'd get more earthy notes, but not there. Smells delicious none the less

T- This one tastes like it was brewed on the west coast... pretty intense hop taste with the same hint of sweetness in the aroma, present in the taste. Finishes dry and earthy

M- Light/medium body with medium carbonation

D- A very nice east coast IPA... one of the best I've had. Don't remember what I payed for it, but pretty sure I'd pay it again... definitely give this one a try

CHEERS!!

bbeane, Oct 21, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a hazy deep amber color with a large creamy beige head. The aroma is pale malts with touches of caramel, woody spicy cedar, with grassy, citrus and herbal hops. The flavor is pale malts with more caramel than in the nose. Grassy and citrusy hops. The cedar provides a tingly spiciness that sets this apart from other beers. The finish is dry and bitter with the addition of the cedar that is different. Medium bodied with moderate bitterness. Extremely drinkable.

hophead247, Oct 15, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

750ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Clear deep amber body with 3 fingers of creamy tan head. Fantastic retention and solid rings of lace. I couldn't be more pleased with how this looks - it's clear yet rich, imposing yet delicate. Fantastic looking IPA.

S: Sweet malt, vegetal hops, and rich, sweet wood. Plenty of vanilla, and yet also some cedar dryness. I'd like some more pop from the hops, but this is still excellent.

T: Starts out hoppy, then turns malty and woody. The cedar is completely distinctive, and yet doesn't threaten to overpower. Cleanly bitter finish. Excellent.

M: Medium bodied; starts a little sharp carbonation-wise, but smooths out nicely.

D: The alcohol starts to peek through a little bit, and the woodiness gets a bit heavy. Still, not too bad.

Notes: I've been looking forward to trying this beer for a long time, and it didn't disappoint. It's my first cedar-aged beer, and I love the hint of humidor. I was afraid the cedar would get oppressive, but it kept itself perfectly in check throughout. Far better than regular Jai-Alai, and a real treat.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Oct 10, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750mL bottle to oversized wine glass. No ABV, date or batch number indicated. $13 at my local bottleshop.

A: The creamy/frothy head rises to 3 fingers, light brown with orange tints. Very long lasting. The body has a stunning creamcicle orange hue, hazy and completely opaque from being unfiltered and bottle conditionined. Good lacing but not quite great.

S: Light malts, primarily bready with supporting notes of caramel. Hops are heavy with SUPER fresh aromas, especially for an IPA that spent some time on wood. Dried orange peel and grapefruit stand out. The alcohol is probably more noticeable than it should be, now that I know what the ABV is. Slightly solventy, there are some prevailing notes of Sharpie marker.

T: Just enough hops for a serious hop head. Bright and juicy. Additional flavors of fermented peach and pineapple plus a touch of pepper.

M: Full body with creamy texture. The level of effervescence is just a bit low for my preference. Finishes with a bold and heavy bitterness.

D: Honestly, this beer hardly resembles the unmodified Jai Alai. The cedar transforms it into something truly unique, but I prefer the original a little bit more.

FeDUBBELFIST, Oct 09, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -2%

A: Well it is definitely unfilitered. Very cloudy and resembles apple cider. Nice head buildup and retention with about two fingers worth of sticky white bubbles clinging to the edge of the glass. The head is forming into a solid mass, nearing milkshake viscosity. Very interesting.

S: First sniff was Jai Alai through and through. Second sniff revealed the wood aging behind this one. The base beer is full of wonderful fruity hops with some nice bitterness as well. The cedar provides a nice woody aroma that lends some tobacco and bbq type aromas. I love Jai Alai, and this little twist on it is a nice change of pace.

T: The cedar aging definitely had more of an effect on the taste of this beer, rather then the nose. The beer appears to be a bit more dry and bitter than its counterpart. Some of the big juicy hop flavors are set aside for a wonderful earthy and near savory wood flavor. Having a hard time describing this one. Perhaps the hops faded during the aging process, but the base beer is still distinguishable behind the wood flavors. I almost want to venture to say it was a younger, fresher cedar that this was aged on because it has a very vinous, "green" wood type of flavor. Very unique IPA.

M: The thick and foamy head that developed on this beer made for a very creamy mouthfeel. It was similar to a nitro mouthfeel for me. Great carbonation for an aged IPA.

D: As this beer warms, it is really turning into a beauty. Very easy drinking, as Jai Alai is, but just a twinge different as far as the flavor goes. 11 bucks is certainly a fair price for a 750 ml of this beer. Great buy and glad I got to try it.

kiddynamite920, Oct 06, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Huge thanks to my man, Kiefdog, for hooking me up with this in our last trade! I've really wanted to try this one for awhile.

Big bottle poured into a stemmed Allagash glass. First beer to be poured into this one. Pours a very cloudy dark rusty-orange with a massive 3-finger beige head on top. Excellent retention, and tons of sticky lace stuck around. Wow. This is cedar-aged for sure. Smells like my humidor, obviously, given the series name. This followed by faint tobacco, fresh spices, and mild citrus. I loved the nose on this beer. Excellent.

The mouth is full for the style. Carbonation level is about mid-level. It bites at moments, but at other times becomes very smooth and bordering on flat. The flavor on this one is far different than the original Jai Alai. The citrus aspects are pushed out of the way by a big semi-sweet spiciness that I'll attribute to the cedar. Very woodsy tasting. The bitterness makes itself known on the back end, but leaves a mildly spicy aftertaste. This is a great autumn IPA. I like the spice characteristics, especially given the season. I think I prefer the original version, but this was a treat to try.

Onenote81, Oct 06, 2010