Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009)
ThreeWiseMen

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

Got this in a recent trade with my favorite trading buddy, fogdog. Thanks a ton Kevin! Can't wait to get my hands on some more Cigar City stuff!

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Very hazy caramel-colored body with a small white cap. Head looked a little fizzy at first, but quickly settled to a tight, sticky, halo. Great web-like lacing. Looks elegant.

Smell: Rich cedar, flowery hops, and pine. I also get some caramel and toffee-like undertones. Pretty mild on the whole, with cedar being the most prominent aroma.

Taste: Cedar and caramel are the most obvious flavors up front. Surprisingly, I'm tasting a lot of pilsner malt - not sure if they actually use that in the recipe though. Maybe that's the cedar barrels causing that flavor. The finish is very dry and piney with some solid bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light on the palate. Prickly, somewhat gritty, feel from the carbonation. Feels pilsner-y to an extent. As noted above, finishes dry and bitter.

Drinkability: This was my second time tasting this beer, and both times I haven't been too impressed. I like the idea, and I like the cedar, but this one just doesn't do it for me. Worth a try still.

11-08-2009 21:55:44 | More by ThreeWiseMen
HonusWagner

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a very pretty orange hue, resembles apricots to me, but I'm mildly colorblind, so who knows! I like the color but the head is only decent so I can't give this a 5.

The smell is very boring, some mild piney hops and presumably cedar, and definitely didn't impress me as I tilted the glass back for the first time.

The taste, on the other hand, is pretty impressive. A very good balance between the moderate citrus hops and the cedar keeps the beer from getting in to hop bomb territory. I'd be very interested to try the normal Jai Alai to see how these good hops taste when they're on their own.

The mouthfeel is very good, a nice amount of carbonation gives the beer some life in the mouth. Drinkability started out pretty high but it definitely feels boozier as you get down the bottle. Unfortunately for all other IPAs, the standard to me is Pliny and it's pretty damn hard to come close to PtE in drinkability.

Overall, a solid buy and one I might revisit later after I've tried the regular IPA.

10-21-2009 22:32:24 | More by HonusWagner
PretzelCity

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a nice mahogany color with a decent fluffy white head. Smells like cedar. Taste is spicy, peppery, with a little bit of citrus and a lot of cedar. Light to medium body and really drinkable. The Cedar blends with the hops perfectly making for a very balanced yet complex flavor. If you like cigars at all, this beer is worth a try. It looks, smells and tastes like a cigar box and I mean that in the best way possible. Not a huge fan of the Jai Alai IPA by itself but it is totally transformed with cedar aging. Really enjoyed this brew both times I've been able to try it.

10-13-2009 19:06:32 | More by PretzelCity
maximum12

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

I would be remiss not to send out a great, chest-thumping thanks to moose3285 for sending me a great, big, overflowing box of Cigar City to add to my collection. Split with the wife while settling in to watch the Twins dismantle the Yankees in game two...I hope.

First & foremost, CC gets props for their cool-ass bottles, each with an amusing anecdote on the side. The beer leaks into my Tyranena pint glass a light amber, borderline red-style brew. Smell is subdued hops & faintly woody.

Not much subtlety here. I'll warrant that I'm not terribly keen on anything interfering with my hops, but the cedar balance here is spot-on perfection. The underlying IPA I'd warrant is very good, the hops are there, but not so bright as usual; warm, rather than bitter, sharp rather than biting. The cedar does a marvelous job of complementing the hops with its woody woodiness, rather than taking over, or slinking too far into the background. Perfect balance.

Split the bomber with the wife, but she just got a dinner invitation, so I'm eyeing her half of the bomber in the fridge...I can't let that oxidate for an hour plus, can I? That would be criminal. I suppose that means it's drinkable, to consider stealing good beer from your most excellent wife. I'll get the stink eye for that later. Better bust out something else she likes!

Dammit, this is an excellent beer, which I've come to expect/assume from Cigar City. This raises the bar on a wood-agd IPA. I'd drink this every day & twice on Sundays given the chance.

10-09-2009 22:47:58 | More by maximum12
BDLbrewster

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

First off thanks a ton for this goodie, my best to all who participated in the Football and Beer BIF.

Pours a very hazy ripe grain hued orange amber with a large frothy, sticky head. Large bubbles and tons of sticky lacing wrap up this category.

I don't get the huge amounts of cedar that a lot of the other reviews highlight in the smell. Mildly powerful pine resin is my first thought, oh wait. The more I sniff the more wood I get. Ha Ha. Sweet almost fruity malts make up a huge proportion of the odor as well along with a faint spice. Other than that not a whole lot going on here.

The cedar is epic in the flavor, it seems to drag down the plethora of other things going on in here. The spicy, piney hops put up one hell of a fight but ultimately fail in breaking through the woody forefront. The malty backbone is sturdy enough here and releases flavors resembling toffee and earthy grains. I would enjoy this a lot more without the heavy wood taste.

The mouthfeel is good, feels naturally carbonated in your mouth. Very large bubbles and not at all syrupy. This is the best part of this brew so far.

Overall, this beer really makes me want to try the non-cedar aged. I bet it is amazing. This brew is a knockout, but I just don't think that cedar aging is necessarily the best compliment to an already amazing IPA.

10-09-2009 01:06:31 | More by BDLbrewster
redneckchugger

2.15/5  rDev -47%

Poured into my duel tulip.
Smells like cedar shaving with beer spilled on them
Tastes of cedar, and hops, with a bit of malt in the back. This beer is very off putting. I really feel like I'm licking a tree when i drink it. In my opinion the reason for this beers high rating is the hype monster. Its not good, the cedar is far too strong. I have had the regular jai-alai and its wonderful, so why mess with it. The only answer i can come up with is that CCB wants to make hype work for them. Which they seem to do very very well.
Not a good beer at all.

09-30-2009 02:00:40 | More by redneckchugger
ffejherb

4.1/5  rDev +1%

750ml bottle into half pint glass on 9/14/09. Thanks to FooFaa for sharing.

A - Poured a hazy amber/orange colored body, reminiscent of a sunset, with a one-finger rocky, frothy head that deposited lots of sticky foam around the glass.

S - Initial aroma is extremely spicy and woody with fragrant wafts of pine needles, cedar and white pepper. Malt character is sweet and syrupy.

T - Spicy and woody flavor with a dominant cedar character and hints of pine needles. A syrupy sweet malt backbone balances all of the spicy notes. However, plenty of sticky, piney hops emerge in the backend and work quite well with the cedar and woody characteristics.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a syrupy texture with a bit of oily residue. Finishes with assertive bitterness on the palate.

D - Unique and innovative, this cedar-aged ale is extremely aromatic and flavorful. The cedar character is undeniably palpable. I have a feeling this brewery is going to become one of my favorites very quickly.

09-22-2009 21:57:05 | More by ffejherb
NeroFiddled

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

I wasn't sure what this was when I bought it as there's really no marking on the bottle. It just has the Humidor series label. Luckily BA had all of the information I needed!

It poured a golden-amber body with a slight haze beneath a creamy head of off-white foam. The head retention was excellent, and it displayed some very good lacing.

The aroma was initially malty with a bit of caramel, and then leafy and slightly herbal hops (or does it appear herbal because of the cedar?). Then the nose adjusted and the cedar became quite clear. It was kind of perfumey, and I guess a little bit like cedarwood as well.

In the mouth it was full-bodied, creamy, and smooth with a very fine-bubbled median carbonation due to bottle conditioning.

The flavor was malty and gently caramelish with a toasty edge, and minty and spicy hops (or, again, is that the cedar peeking through?). A rock-solid bitterness anchored it, leading into a dry finish. The cedar came on at the swallow, and then lingered nicely, but faded before the hop flavors and bitterness did.

Not having had the Jai Alai before, I'm not sure how different this beer really is. My guess is that the standard Jai is a fairly basic and drinkable English-style IPA. The cedar was interesting, however, and I found it quite intriguing, and a bit charming. I didn't find it to be a quaffer though, I found myself treating it more like a sipping beer. I would enjoy a taste or two and then put it down for a bit. Again, not having ever tasted the Jai Alai, I have no point of reference, but I will say this: I'd gladly buy another couple bottles to enjoy, and possibly age a bit.

09-18-2009 22:19:14 | More by NeroFiddled
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

Big thanks to both Jw347 and Beerlando for bottles of this one.

Pours a very nice looking slightly hazy glowing orange color with light brown highlights and a monsterous fluffy pillowy billowy white cauliflower head that retains extraordinarily well and leaves fantastic lacing. Very nice looking.

Nose smells, in all literality, like a well seasoned humidor full of IPA.

Hmmm. The Cedar doesn't seem so strong at first, but then it jumps out of the closet in a clown suit and wails you in the balls with a bat made out of old cigar boxes. The IPA underneath this tastes like it would be quite good, maybe very good, but i just think the cedar aging is a bit overboard. I love the use of cedar in other CCB offerings, but in this one its just a bit too much. That being said, its very educational, and allowed me to appreciate what they've done with it in other beers, and this is still a good brew. I just need it in very small doses.

The mouthfeel is solid, not soupy, but certainly not thin. Carbonation is ideal.

Drinkability would be great, the abv is well hidden and all that, but due to the cedar face raping, it makes it a little tough.

Overall I think this is a beer everyone should try, and certainly has proven to me that cedar aging does belong in the beer world. I just think the beer its used on should be able to stand up to its prominent flavor, and IMO, this one would be better without the cedar. I would love to someday try the regular old Jai alai. An interesting, educational, and beer worth trying, but not one i would drink alot of. Still tastes great, its just too much...

09-17-2009 03:25:32 | More by AKBelgianBeast
dstc

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a deep, deep murky burnt gold. Cloudy. Big foamy light tan head with good retention and nice lace.

Big sweet nose with plenty of hops. Syrupy sweet aroma.

Wow. Bold flavor. Big hops and a mild malt sweetness in the finish. Cedar lingers on the tongue in the finish. Nice sweetness mixed with the bold hops. Strong bitter aftertaste.

Full and smooth in the mouth. Somewhat oily.

Very nice well crafted brew. Full flavor. Real enjoyed.

09-16-2009 18:44:54 | More by dstc
AChamberlain

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

750 bottle. Poured into chalice sort of glass. Poured an orange, marmalde color. Translucent, a bit murky. Nice head. Good looking. Musty hop aroma. Dirty hop water. Woody? Sharp bitterness up front and then sparkling sweet malt flavor covering my tongue. Definitly a wood quality in the flavor, dank. Smoothish, some zest. Overall pretty drinkable. The flavor and mouthfeel work well. Aroma needs some work.

09-15-2009 20:32:58 | More by AChamberlain
nickd717

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Very generically labeled bottle without "jai alai" on it anywhere from what I could tell, shared at a BA tasting by mfielden - thanks, Mark!

A - Pours a cloudy golden-amber with noticeable sediment and a creamy white head that leaves some nice foam.

S - Aroma is citrusy hops, sweet malt, and lots of cedar, which I think works well here.

T - Sweet pale malt and cedar balanced by grapefruity hops. A little spice as well, especially lemon pepper. Another winner from CCB flavor-wise.

M - Palate is nice and smooth with soft carbonation.

D - High. I got through this one way too soon.

09-15-2009 00:31:50 | More by nickd717
Onslow

buckle up buttercup! .. . god, aroma is amazing, a well baked pinecone and cedar (fresh humidor) .. . pours a kickass causing dark rich gold tan with a fantastic silly fun cream head, lacing is cute as a button.. . abv is so well hidden and the subtle refined whiffs of cedar to sap are just wonderful, and super tasty! .. . aroma is just to awesome and the flavours, light peppery spice from the cedar, so intriguing and unique.. joey, you sir have started something that will/should take off like california wildfires.. . this is the highlight of all the beers i tried/picked up while in Orlando! .. . does it get better than this?

09-14-2009 23:57:22 | More by Onslow
khiasmus

South Carolina

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

"I'm kind of a big deal, my library smells of rich mahogany..."
So it is with Cigar City, a big deal, small batches, cedar-aged IPAs(really?), the hype monster. So here's the first try at it, sitting in the library of rich mahogany with a puro and a CS Lewis book for good measure.
"I say, what a bit of alright! What of it, chaps?"
"Blimey! White pepper! Bakery-rolls and all, what with a bit of grapefruit to boot!"
"Lightly cloudy and little head, but what of a chance at rain? Heh heh..."
"Crikey! Here, lads, is a load of hops. A bloody monstrous bitter too, I say..."
"Well, after I dropped a bomb on this, I did expect to be gobsmacked, while this is a bit of a disappointment."
"Well I think it's bleeding ace."
"Write your own bloody review then."
"Stonking hopping, bitterness, and lemon-sour, then just a bit of white bread, cedar..."
"I think they made a blatant dog's dinner. What of all the chemical bits?"
"Well, horses for courses, I suppose."
"Low carbonation, watery, astringent, ill-balanced, bitter and spicy. I find little to enjoy in this."
"Well, there's little sense in waffling on and on... I'm a bit squiffy anyway."
"It was a fine piss up. Ta."
"Cheers mate."

09-14-2009 15:40:08 | More by khiasmus
tempest

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Picked up a 750 ml bottle from Knightly Spirits in Orlando. Poured a hazy orange with a tall white head. The aroma has a syrupy mix of sweetened grapefruit, toasted cedar plank, and ash, but with more of the focus on the citrus hops. The flavor hits off with the hops - big pine and juniper (almost like gin), and then biting orange peel. Dry, wood flavors kick in to finish with cocoa and toasted crust. Overall, a very well-made and interesting IPA. I hope this beer gets around, it's damn good.

09-14-2009 03:59:56 | More by tempest
largadeer

Appearance: Murky amber with a sticky white head. Good lacing, good retention, clarity could be much improved.

Smell: Intensely woody with a bit of citrusy hops beneath. Some oxidation as well. A cedar overload.

Taste/mouthfeel: Woody, tannic, borderline astringent cedar overpowers the hops and malts both. I get a bit of citrusy hops mid-palate, and no malt to speak of. Bitter tannic finish, it seems like the astringency comes from the wood more than the hops, and there's a noticeable lingering wet paper flavor. Decent, not great.

09-14-2009 03:25:57 | More by largadeer
FtownThrowDown

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a cloudy amber in color. Nice inch of frothy head forms on the pour.
Smell is spicy hops, just a hint of cedar. Taste is a nice balance between the hop flavors and the cedar. There's not as much cedar in this beer as I was expecting. The 100k + OT #2 had a lot more cedar in the flavor.
Medium to full on the mouthfeel. Very easy drinking beer that you could easily drink a bunch of. Would have loved to try this on draft.

09-12-2009 17:49:35 | More by FtownThrowDown
pwoods

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Thanks Ftown for sharing. Murky light iced tea color. Godd head. Lots of peppery spice and sharp citrus. Cedar is soft in the back. Taste is a bit more subtle but good spice and citrus. Average bitterness. Moderate malt to balance. Good body and drinks decently.

09-12-2009 02:20:36 | More by pwoods
Arbitrator

2.98/5  rDev -26.6%

Chilled 750mL into a glass. A generous extra from Jw347. Thanks Johnathan!

A: Pours an extremely cloudy amber color that glows a diffuse orange against the light. Great-looking body that would be improved by some clarity. With some inspection I can see bubbles streaming up the glass. The pour results in 1.5 fingers of creamy, off-white head that retains for several minutes before retreating into a light cap on top of the brew. Leaves some dribbles of lacing down the sides of the glass. I like my IPAs clear, unfortunately.

S: Wow, they really take the cedar to heart. Very tannic and earthy, with an herbal note to it. The hops are almost an afterthought, or perhaps they're fading a bit. There's some dankness in there, with citrus hops coming last. The smell really stands out on this one; I'm having a great time just sniffing it and not sipping (I like cedar). Not a great nose if you're looking for IPA characteristics, though.

T: Initially malty with a caramel flavor, but it gets hoppy midway through with, as the nose suggests, citrus and a stronger pine/weed flavor. Dank, earthy pull into the finish, which is fairly tannic (if I can be honest, TOO much so) and surprisingly dry. A lingering bitterness with some pepper in the aftertaste.

M: Medium-bodied. Well carbonated. I don't like lingering bitterness in beers, and the bubbles in this one do a decent, but not great, job of staving it off. Kind of a chewy body.

D: A very distinct flavor and one I appreciate. But a bit much to have on a regular basis. Definitely a brewery to keep an eye on, though.

09-11-2009 09:44:47 | More by Arbitrator
boatshoes

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Received this bottle in my first trade with Bucwild, his first trade ever as well! Thanks again and hope to have many more trades!

Appearance- Pours a beautiful orange-tinged amber with a massive white head. I shared this one with a visiting guest to our glass studio on our farm and the first glass poured with about three and a half fingers off a relatively mild pour. The second glass I was a little more careful, but still ended up with about two and a half fingers. The head stuck around for quite awhile too, eventually dying down to about a quarter finger that stuck around over the surface of the beer. Carbonation beaded throughout the drinking experience as well and perhaps most impressive were the massive amounts of sticky lacing left down the side of the glass as I drank.

Smell- The smell was very unique in terms of the IPA's that I've encountered. There was a great deal of fruity/citrusy hops present, giving it the typical grapefruit scents of many IPA's. That being said, the hops definitely tilted towards citrus rather than pine or resin. However, in addition to the typical IPA notes, the cedar really came through. It was almost like smelling the inside of an empty cigar box. Very unusual but very interesting and pleasant I thought.

Taste- Interesting yet again. Big notes of grapefruit and citrus up front. However, unlike the usual drying hop bite that follows these initial flavors in an IPA, the cedar immediately follows the citrus. It is less prominent as cedar per se than in the nose but here has the effect of really smoothing out the hop bitterness of the IPA. As such, this is really a rather fruity, mild tasting IPA. While this isn't what you might expect as an IPA, it is certainly a unique experience and one that I could appreciate.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- A really heavy and sticky mouthfeel. Very chewy and somewhat unusual yet again as it lacked the drying bitterness of the IPA's I'm used to. Great level of carbonation however. I will say though that on the whole I found this beer to be a touch too sweet to drink too much of.

Overall, a very unique experience that might not be everyone's cup of tea, especially hop heads. However, I found it interesting and enjoyable. Go into this one with an open mind and you might just like it quite a bit.

09-11-2009 02:58:26 | More by boatshoes
RomaniIteDomum

4.18/5  rDev +3%

Upon pouring the beer produces a very fluffy off-white head. The head sticks around for some time until becoming a ring that produces some wonderful lacing.

The beer smells interesting. The hops and cedar both come out in the nose and prodce a light grapefruit smell.

There is an initial sweetness in the beer that is countered by the hops and cedar together. There is perceptable grapefruit, but the cedar and hops working in chorus are very interesting. At first it felt like I was slurping a beer from a humidor, but when the beer breathed a little it came together. I blame my overzealousness.

In the mouth it is nice and smooth, even creamy. The carbonation helps prepare your tongue for a nice hoppy kick.

Hell, yes this beer is drinkable. It is a very refreshing drink by the pool on a warm day. I see why this was released this time of year.

09-07-2009 22:33:46 | More by RomaniIteDomum
mikey711

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Received this in a trade with Markwise.

I am very interested in trying this one because of the cedar aging.

A: It's a nie copper color with a bubbly slightly off white head. A nice ring of layers remains after each sip.

S: The cedar is very present, providing a mix between tobacco and pepper. I have never smelled a beer like this before and am pleasantly surprised. The hops there to but not as strong as the cedar.

T: It starts out with a nice grapefruity citrus bitterness and finishes a bit peppery and smoky.

M: Very full and refreshing. Nothing unpleasant here.

D: Another easy one to drink. The 750 doesn't stand a chance, but I wouldn't go after another.

This was my first beer from Cigar City and my first cedar aged beer. I was extremely happy with this beer because it was a bit unusual. I wouldn't be surprised if other breweries start to experiment with cedar as a result, but this was definitely a hit.

09-07-2009 21:14:40 | More by mikey711
portia99

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

750ml bottle received in trade from BeerLovinGrl. Thanks Chrissy for the chance to try another great Cigar City beer. Really appreciate this! Shared with nonstick. Poured into a Russian River Belgian glass.

A - Nice clear, orangey amber with an off-white 1 finger head comprised of various sized bubbles. Head lasts a minute and then dissipates leaving nice lace on the sides of the glass.

S - Piney hops with a helping of citrus, grapefruit and pineapple...also some spicyness - is this the cedar?...hmm, can't identify it. Underlying sugary malt balances things out.

T - Piney and citrusy hops come thru and dominate this beer. Nice caramel and sugary sweet malt balance, and some woodiness rounds things out. Some alcohol flavor also. Everything blends really nicely.

M - Medium bodied, ample carbonation. Lingering woodiness and bitterness into the aftertaste with a little fruitiness mixed in. Very good.

D - A little bit on the heavy side, and 7.5% alcohol impedes drinkability, but this is a very tasty beer. I would definitely like to have another one of these. Really interesting wood flavor with the cedar aging. Very good overall.

09-06-2009 23:46:59 | More by portia99
gunnerman

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured into a pint glass pours a hazy orange copper color with a fluffy foamy head that leves nice lace on the entire glass. Smell has that citrus character to it. Taste is very impressive with a nice hop explosion on the front end and a bit of a peppery wood on the back end. The flavors mended nicely and the cedar to me really shined through. Overall another outstanding product for Cigar City.

09-06-2009 12:09:19 | More by gunnerman
infestaxion

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

From my notes

A - Hazy coppery orange with a big fluffy meringue head. Great retention. The lacing is insane.

S - Glorious slick hops. Good dose of malt and hint of cedar. These smells only stronger would get a 5.

T - The same slick hops are there but the malt seems less prevalent than the smell. The cedar adds a very subtle and unique flavor. As it warms the malt opens up more. Nice and bitter in the finish. Very good.

M - Thick & sticky. Good carbonation.

D - Very, very drinkable.

08-31-2009 20:44:02 | More by infestaxion