Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009)
3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

Got this bottle from Thryn, thanks! I've been wanting to try the Cigar City beer that won a gold medal at GABF.

It's an orange-copper in color with a big foamy head that reduces to a dollop of foam in my tulip glass.

You can really smell the cedar in this beer. Its almost-medicinal aroma is mixed with the big hop aromas that Jai Alai has.

The cedar brings all kinds of new flavors to this beer, while keeping it hoppy and bitter. I'm tasting perfume (!), flowers, rosewater, wood and more in this beer. The cedar tones down the flavors from the hops that are so strong in regular Jai Alai.

At first I thought the taste was too strong, but after more sips my palate has adjusted.

The body is just as good as regular Jai Alai: light but not watery.

The cigar cedar really transforms the beer from a juicy hop bomb to a fragrant perfume-like sipping beer.

Shaw, Nov 23, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

Special Thanks to Avalon68 for providing this as an extra in a recent trade. Frank is an awesome trading partner..

Poured this into a tulip glass hoping to accentuate the wood notes of this beer. As it turns out that was not necessary. Beer pours with couple fingers of tight foamy white head what almost looks like whipped egg whites. Excellent retention and lots of sticky lacing. The beer is a hazy amber color with orange sunset tones.

Aroma is peppery and clearly of cedar. Lots of herbal qualities here along with some pine.

Well my first impression is that the cedar completely takes over the beer. As I slowly worked my way through the bottle I got accustomed to the heavy cedar notes and enjoyed the beer more. Initial pine notes, white pepper and then cedar, cedar, cedar. I've heard pencil shaving used as an adjective for some wood aged beers. I've never used it and now I am... Yep, taste like wood shavings. It's almost like the cedar accentuates the hop bitterness. Big lingering hop bitterness. Also some yeast notes here.

The carbonation is almost pin point like and brightens the flavor. Medium body and a little powdery.

The wood aging really slows you down in drinking this. If this is a standard IPA, it's the slowest one I've ever consumed.

This is interesting, that's for sure. But I am not in love with it. Very glad to have tried it.

Reagan1984, Nov 21, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle received about 6 weeks ago in a trade with a generous BA thanks!

Appearance: Fairly clear orange sunburst with honey folds and a 3 finger off white crown that shows lots of lace and retention.

Smell: Loads of character here. Good floral and herbal hop notes crash into a sophisticated and sexy cedar chip humidor like quality. Tobacco comes to mind but only associatively, it is the cedar chips triggering that more than anything.

Taste: Not as pungent as the nose, but again a seemless blend of hops and cedar. I'm really impressed by the combination.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and well carbonated. A touch too crisp for my liking.

Drinkability: Nice flavor profile, crisp mouthfeel, and an abv below 8% makes this brew score well in the drinkability department.

koopa, Nov 21, 2009

9/6/2010
(Served in a tulip glass) Thanks to cbak999 for this beer
A- This beer has a hazy copper body with a spongy creamy yellowish-beige head and strands of bubbles trailing to the surface.
S- The juicy spicy hops have a soft wood note underneath. There is a spicy green cinnamon note and a light cream aroma that comes through when the beer opens up.
T- The light pungent woody hops taste leads to a smooth spicy green hops and a soft dry bittern bite in the finish. The green hops linger for a moment and take on a green woody note as the beer opens up. There is a very light caramel sweetness underneath the hops.
M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a fizzy finish. D- This is a nice IPA with good depth of flavor in the hops and much more hop flavor than bitterness. I didn't notice any cedar qualities and I have to say it doesn't have the depth of the original non-wood aged version.

review 11/19/2009
(Served in a stemmed strange) thanks to gunnerman for this brew
A- This beer pours a slight hazy amber gold with a light tan head that sticks to the glass with each sip. There is a gentle carbonation that supports the head.
S- This beer has a slight musty pale malt aroma with a soft green hop note that comes through as the beer warms a bit. T- This beer has a soft pine hop aroma with a faint grain and pale malt note with a nice caramel hint. There is a slightly flowery wood hint that comes through as the beer warms.
M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a slight slippery texture and no alcohol heat noticed.
D- This beer has a nice smooth taste and mouthfeel with a very soft wood quality. The hops are pretty soft aswell but it is a smooth session beer.

rhoadsrage, Nov 19, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -30.9%

Thanks to Mike for sending this rare beer as an extra, of all things!

The pour is quite gorgeous, clear amber with a dense off-white head with an off-white head with great retention and nice lacing to boot. Unfortunately, that's about all there is to really like about this beer. Rich and malty, rather simply so, with a lot of caramel, a touch of honey and some burnt caramel as well. Pine hops are apparent, and when cold, the wood character isn't particularly noticeable. However, as it warms up, the harsh cedar character becomes all too apparent. Woody and astringent, with a touch of varnish-like alcohol is present as well. The palate is rather similar, OPENING with woody tannins and a rather astringent character. Once you get used to the highly astringent nature of the brew, you are assaulted by the massive sweetness with sugar, caramel and some pine bitterness. Hop flavor is rather reserved, and frankly, is whelmed by the sweetness. There's no semblance of balance in this beer. While the finish starts off sweet, the tannins really dry out the palate with a harsh astringency. Medium in body with low carbonation, this is pretty much exactly what an IPA should NOT be, and the addition of cedar strikes me as a gimmick. While I drank my 8oz, it was only in the hope of it improving, which it didn't.

DefenCorps, Nov 12, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks goes out to Sebletitje for this brew.

750ml Bottle

Poured into a chalice a very nice hazy dark golden orange color, nice carbonation, very nice thick/creamy off-white head, with some very nice small islands and sticky lacing left behind. The nose is hoppy, with some nice malt notes, citrus, slight pine. The taste is hoppy, malty, with some citrus, slight pine note, slight cedar. Medium body, very nice bitter/dry finish. Very drinkable, a very nice tasty brew, glad to have had a chance to try it.

Wasatch, Nov 10, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

Got this in a recent trade with my favorite trading buddy, fogdog. Thanks a ton Kevin! Can't wait to get my hands on some more Cigar City stuff!

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Very hazy caramel-colored body with a small white cap. Head looked a little fizzy at first, but quickly settled to a tight, sticky, halo. Great web-like lacing. Looks elegant.

Smell: Rich cedar, flowery hops, and pine. I also get some caramel and toffee-like undertones. Pretty mild on the whole, with cedar being the most prominent aroma.

Taste: Cedar and caramel are the most obvious flavors up front. Surprisingly, I'm tasting a lot of pilsner malt - not sure if they actually use that in the recipe though. Maybe that's the cedar barrels causing that flavor. The finish is very dry and piney with some solid bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light on the palate. Prickly, somewhat gritty, feel from the carbonation. Feels pilsner-y to an extent. As noted above, finishes dry and bitter.

Drinkability: This was my second time tasting this beer, and both times I haven't been too impressed. I like the idea, and I like the cedar, but this one just doesn't do it for me. Worth a try still.

ThreeWiseMen, Nov 08, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours a very pretty orange hue, resembles apricots to me, but I'm mildly colorblind, so who knows! I like the color but the head is only decent so I can't give this a 5.

The smell is very boring, some mild piney hops and presumably cedar, and definitely didn't impress me as I tilted the glass back for the first time.

The taste, on the other hand, is pretty impressive. A very good balance between the moderate citrus hops and the cedar keeps the beer from getting in to hop bomb territory. I'd be very interested to try the normal Jai Alai to see how these good hops taste when they're on their own.

The mouthfeel is very good, a nice amount of carbonation gives the beer some life in the mouth. Drinkability started out pretty high but it definitely feels boozier as you get down the bottle. Unfortunately for all other IPAs, the standard to me is Pliny and it's pretty damn hard to come close to PtE in drinkability.

Overall, a solid buy and one I might revisit later after I've tried the regular IPA.

HonusWagner, Oct 21, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a nice mahogany color with a decent fluffy white head. Smells like cedar. Taste is spicy, peppery, with a little bit of citrus and a lot of cedar. Light to medium body and really drinkable. The Cedar blends with the hops perfectly making for a very balanced yet complex flavor. If you like cigars at all, this beer is worth a try. It looks, smells and tastes like a cigar box and I mean that in the best way possible. Not a huge fan of the Jai Alai IPA by itself but it is totally transformed with cedar aging. Really enjoyed this brew both times I've been able to try it.

PretzelCity, Oct 13, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

I would be remiss not to send out a great, chest-thumping thanks to moose3285 for sending me a great, big, overflowing box of Cigar City to add to my collection. Split with the wife while settling in to watch the Twins dismantle the Yankees in game two...I hope.

First & foremost, CC gets props for their cool-ass bottles, each with an amusing anecdote on the side. The beer leaks into my Tyranena pint glass a light amber, borderline red-style brew. Smell is subdued hops & faintly woody.

Not much subtlety here. I'll warrant that I'm not terribly keen on anything interfering with my hops, but the cedar balance here is spot-on perfection. The underlying IPA I'd warrant is very good, the hops are there, but not so bright as usual; warm, rather than bitter, sharp rather than biting. The cedar does a marvelous job of complementing the hops with its woody woodiness, rather than taking over, or slinking too far into the background. Perfect balance.

Split the bomber with the wife, but she just got a dinner invitation, so I'm eyeing her half of the bomber in the fridge...I can't let that oxidate for an hour plus, can I? That would be criminal. I suppose that means it's drinkable, to consider stealing good beer from your most excellent wife. I'll get the stink eye for that later. Better bust out something else she likes!

Dammit, this is an excellent beer, which I've come to expect/assume from Cigar City. This raises the bar on a wood-agd IPA. I'd drink this every day & twice on Sundays given the chance.

maximum12, Oct 09, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -16.5%

First off thanks a ton for this goodie, my best to all who participated in the Football and Beer BIF.

Pours a very hazy ripe grain hued orange amber with a large frothy, sticky head. Large bubbles and tons of sticky lacing wrap up this category.

I don't get the huge amounts of cedar that a lot of the other reviews highlight in the smell. Mildly powerful pine resin is my first thought, oh wait. The more I sniff the more wood I get. Ha Ha. Sweet almost fruity malts make up a huge proportion of the odor as well along with a faint spice. Other than that not a whole lot going on here.

The cedar is epic in the flavor, it seems to drag down the plethora of other things going on in here. The spicy, piney hops put up one hell of a fight but ultimately fail in breaking through the woody forefront. The malty backbone is sturdy enough here and releases flavors resembling toffee and earthy grains. I would enjoy this a lot more without the heavy wood taste.

The mouthfeel is good, feels naturally carbonated in your mouth. Very large bubbles and not at all syrupy. This is the best part of this brew so far.

Overall, this beer really makes me want to try the non-cedar aged. I bet it is amazing. This brew is a knockout, but I just don't think that cedar aging is necessarily the best compliment to an already amazing IPA.

BDLbrewster, Oct 09, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -46.9%

Poured into my duel tulip.
Smells like cedar shaving with beer spilled on them
Tastes of cedar, and hops, with a bit of malt in the back. This beer is very off putting. I really feel like I'm licking a tree when i drink it. In my opinion the reason for this beers high rating is the hype monster. Its not good, the cedar is far too strong. I have had the regular jai-alai and its wonderful, so why mess with it. The only answer i can come up with is that CCB wants to make hype work for them. Which they seem to do very very well.
Not a good beer at all.

redneckchugger, Sep 30, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

750ml bottle into half pint glass on 9/14/09. Thanks to FooFaa for sharing.

A - Poured a hazy amber/orange colored body, reminiscent of a sunset, with a one-finger rocky, frothy head that deposited lots of sticky foam around the glass.

S - Initial aroma is extremely spicy and woody with fragrant wafts of pine needles, cedar and white pepper. Malt character is sweet and syrupy.

T - Spicy and woody flavor with a dominant cedar character and hints of pine needles. A syrupy sweet malt backbone balances all of the spicy notes. However, plenty of sticky, piney hops emerge in the backend and work quite well with the cedar and woody characteristics.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a syrupy texture with a bit of oily residue. Finishes with assertive bitterness on the palate.

D - Unique and innovative, this cedar-aged ale is extremely aromatic and flavorful. The cedar character is undeniably palpable. I have a feeling this brewery is going to become one of my favorites very quickly.

ffejherb, Sep 22, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

I wasn't sure what this was when I bought it as there's really no marking on the bottle. It just has the Humidor series label. Luckily BA had all of the information I needed!

It poured a golden-amber body with a slight haze beneath a creamy head of off-white foam. The head retention was excellent, and it displayed some very good lacing.

The aroma was initially malty with a bit of caramel, and then leafy and slightly herbal hops (or does it appear herbal because of the cedar?). Then the nose adjusted and the cedar became quite clear. It was kind of perfumey, and I guess a little bit like cedarwood as well.

In the mouth it was full-bodied, creamy, and smooth with a very fine-bubbled median carbonation due to bottle conditioning.

The flavor was malty and gently caramelish with a toasty edge, and minty and spicy hops (or, again, is that the cedar peeking through?). A rock-solid bitterness anchored it, leading into a dry finish. The cedar came on at the swallow, and then lingered nicely, but faded before the hop flavors and bitterness did.

Not having had the Jai Alai before, I'm not sure how different this beer really is. My guess is that the standard Jai is a fairly basic and drinkable English-style IPA. The cedar was interesting, however, and I found it quite intriguing, and a bit charming. I didn't find it to be a quaffer though, I found myself treating it more like a sipping beer. I would enjoy a taste or two and then put it down for a bit. Again, not having ever tasted the Jai Alai, I have no point of reference, but I will say this: I'd gladly buy another couple bottles to enjoy, and possibly age a bit.

NeroFiddled, Sep 18, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

Big thanks to both Jw347 and Beerlando for bottles of this one.

Pours a very nice looking slightly hazy glowing orange color with light brown highlights and a monsterous fluffy pillowy billowy white cauliflower head that retains extraordinarily well and leaves fantastic lacing. Very nice looking.

Nose smells, in all literality, like a well seasoned humidor full of IPA.

Hmmm. The Cedar doesn't seem so strong at first, but then it jumps out of the closet in a clown suit and wails you in the balls with a bat made out of old cigar boxes. The IPA underneath this tastes like it would be quite good, maybe very good, but i just think the cedar aging is a bit overboard. I love the use of cedar in other CCB offerings, but in this one its just a bit too much. That being said, its very educational, and allowed me to appreciate what they've done with it in other beers, and this is still a good brew. I just need it in very small doses.

The mouthfeel is solid, not soupy, but certainly not thin. Carbonation is ideal.

Drinkability would be great, the abv is well hidden and all that, but due to the cedar face raping, it makes it a little tough.

Overall I think this is a beer everyone should try, and certainly has proven to me that cedar aging does belong in the beer world. I just think the beer its used on should be able to stand up to its prominent flavor, and IMO, this one would be better without the cedar. I would love to someday try the regular old Jai alai. An interesting, educational, and beer worth trying, but not one i would drink alot of. Still tastes great, its just too much...

AKBelgianBeast, Sep 17, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a deep, deep murky burnt gold. Cloudy. Big foamy light tan head with good retention and nice lace.

Big sweet nose with plenty of hops. Syrupy sweet aroma.

Wow. Bold flavor. Big hops and a mild malt sweetness in the finish. Cedar lingers on the tongue in the finish. Nice sweetness mixed with the bold hops. Strong bitter aftertaste.

Full and smooth in the mouth. Somewhat oily.

Very nice well crafted brew. Full flavor. Real enjoyed.

dstc, Sep 16, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -12.3%

750 bottle. Poured into chalice sort of glass. Poured an orange, marmalde color. Translucent, a bit murky. Nice head. Good looking. Musty hop aroma. Dirty hop water. Woody? Sharp bitterness up front and then sparkling sweet malt flavor covering my tongue. Definitly a wood quality in the flavor, dank. Smoothish, some zest. Overall pretty drinkable. The flavor and mouthfeel work well. Aroma needs some work.

AChamberlain, Sep 15, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +2%

Very generically labeled bottle without "jai alai" on it anywhere from what I could tell, shared at a BA tasting by mfielden - thanks, Mark!

A - Pours a cloudy golden-amber with noticeable sediment and a creamy white head that leaves some nice foam.

S - Aroma is citrusy hops, sweet malt, and lots of cedar, which I think works well here.

T - Sweet pale malt and cedar balanced by grapefruity hops. A little spice as well, especially lemon pepper. Another winner from CCB flavor-wise.

M - Palate is nice and smooth with soft carbonation.

D - High. I got through this one way too soon.

nickd717, Sep 15, 2009

buckle up buttercup! .. . god, aroma is amazing, a well baked pinecone and cedar (fresh humidor) .. . pours a kickass causing dark rich gold tan with a fantastic silly fun cream head, lacing is cute as a button.. . abv is so well hidden and the subtle refined whiffs of cedar to sap are just wonderful, and super tasty! .. . aroma is just to awesome and the flavours, light peppery spice from the cedar, so intriguing and unique.. joey, you sir have started something that will/should take off like california wildfires.. . this is the highlight of all the beers i tried/picked up while in Orlando! .. . does it get better than this?

Onslow, Sep 15, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -17.3%

"I'm kind of a big deal, my library smells of rich mahogany..."
So it is with Cigar City, a big deal, small batches, cedar-aged IPAs(really?), the hype monster. So here's the first try at it, sitting in the library of rich mahogany with a puro and a CS Lewis book for good measure.
"I say, what a bit of alright! What of it, chaps?"
"Blimey! White pepper! Bakery-rolls and all, what with a bit of grapefruit to boot!"
"Lightly cloudy and little head, but what of a chance at rain? Heh heh..."
"Crikey! Here, lads, is a load of hops. A bloody monstrous bitter too, I say..."
"Well, after I dropped a bomb on this, I did expect to be gobsmacked, while this is a bit of a disappointment."
"Well I think it's bleeding ace."
"Write your own bloody review then."
"Stonking hopping, bitterness, and lemon-sour, then just a bit of white bread, cedar..."
"I think they made a blatant dog's dinner. What of all the chemical bits?"
"Well, horses for courses, I suppose."
"Low carbonation, watery, astringent, ill-balanced, bitter and spicy. I find little to enjoy in this."
"Well, there's little sense in waffling on and on... I'm a bit squiffy anyway."
"It was a fine piss up. Ta."
"Cheers mate."

khiasmus, Sep 14, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +5.7%

Picked up a 750 ml bottle from Knightly Spirits in Orlando. Poured a hazy orange with a tall white head. The aroma has a syrupy mix of sweetened grapefruit, toasted cedar plank, and ash, but with more of the focus on the citrus hops. The flavor hits off with the hops - big pine and juniper (almost like gin), and then biting orange peel. Dry, wood flavors kick in to finish with cocoa and toasted crust. Overall, a very well-made and interesting IPA. I hope this beer gets around, it's damn good.

tempest, Sep 14, 2009

Appearance: Murky amber with a sticky white head. Good lacing, good retention, clarity could be much improved.

Smell: Intensely woody with a bit of citrusy hops beneath. Some oxidation as well. A cedar overload.

Taste/mouthfeel: Woody, tannic, borderline astringent cedar overpowers the hops and malts both. I get a bit of citrusy hops mid-palate, and no malt to speak of. Bitter tannic finish, it seems like the astringency comes from the wood more than the hops, and there's a noticeable lingering wet paper flavor. Decent, not great.

largadeer, Sep 14, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours a cloudy amber in color. Nice inch of frothy head forms on the pour.
Smell is spicy hops, just a hint of cedar. Taste is a nice balance between the hop flavors and the cedar. There's not as much cedar in this beer as I was expecting. The 100k + OT #2 had a lot more cedar in the flavor.
Medium to full on the mouthfeel. Very easy drinking beer that you could easily drink a bunch of. Would have loved to try this on draft.

FtownThrowDown, Sep 12, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -11.6%

Thanks Ftown for sharing. Murky light iced tea color. Godd head. Lots of peppery spice and sharp citrus. Cedar is soft in the back. Taste is a bit more subtle but good spice and citrus. Average bitterness. Moderate malt to balance. Good body and drinks decently.

pwoods, Sep 12, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -26.4%

Chilled 750mL into a glass. A generous extra from Jw347. Thanks Johnathan!

A: Pours an extremely cloudy amber color that glows a diffuse orange against the light. Great-looking body that would be improved by some clarity. With some inspection I can see bubbles streaming up the glass. The pour results in 1.5 fingers of creamy, off-white head that retains for several minutes before retreating into a light cap on top of the brew. Leaves some dribbles of lacing down the sides of the glass. I like my IPAs clear, unfortunately.

S: Wow, they really take the cedar to heart. Very tannic and earthy, with an herbal note to it. The hops are almost an afterthought, or perhaps they're fading a bit. There's some dankness in there, with citrus hops coming last. The smell really stands out on this one; I'm having a great time just sniffing it and not sipping (I like cedar). Not a great nose if you're looking for IPA characteristics, though.

T: Initially malty with a caramel flavor, but it gets hoppy midway through with, as the nose suggests, citrus and a stronger pine/weed flavor. Dank, earthy pull into the finish, which is fairly tannic (if I can be honest, TOO much so) and surprisingly dry. A lingering bitterness with some pepper in the aftertaste.

M: Medium-bodied. Well carbonated. I don't like lingering bitterness in beers, and the bubbles in this one do a decent, but not great, job of staving it off. Kind of a chewy body.

D: A very distinct flavor and one I appreciate. But a bit much to have on a regular basis. Definitely a brewery to keep an eye on, though.

Arbitrator, Sep 11, 2009