Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 826-850 | 851-875 | 876-900  | next › last »
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Big ole 750 provided by ditmier last night at inflatablechair's house... Thanks to Eric for providing such an interesting assortment of beers and to Sam for hosting.... I had this a few times over the night with nice pours into my small La Trappe goblet.

Color is a very hazy orange... no chunks... just very hazy..

Nose is pretty citrusy and much more like a traditional West Coast IPA than I was expecting.... Sam says Cedar smells like a cigar box... I know what cedar smells like, but am having a hard time picking this out in the brew.

Flavor is again pretty traditional and fairly fresh tasting despite the distance traveled... citric hops and some caramel maltiness that I think goes well with some toasty/earthy elements from the wood aging.. finish is a bit dry and mildy tannic.. good creamy body and bunches of small bubble carbonation add to the overall experience...

Thanks again Eric... This is a brewery that I just don't know if I have the gumption to go after.... glad you're such a trooper.

08-31-2009 07:40:29 | More by JohnGalt1
LilBeerDoctor

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Bottle. Pours a cloudy copper with a thick, foamy off-white head. Aroma of floral hops, bready malt, citrus, and wood. Flavor is slightly more woody/oaky with some sweet caramel malt and a touch of citrus. Creamy palate, just awesome. Not as cedary as I'd expected given the title, but I like the subtlety. Very nice IPA, definitely not a classic example of the style because it's not very hoppy, but a tasty treat nonetheless.

08-28-2009 20:45:01 | More by LilBeerDoctor
Gyle41386

South Carolina

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Review #200. Big thanks to my buddy Ken down in Florida for sending me a couple of these and some Big Sound.

Review from notes:

The pour reminded me of orange juice. Cloudy, small head, decent retention, bits and pieces of lacing left behind.

Fruity and woody aroma and flavor. Really nicely balanced. I've never had anything aged in cedar, but I didn't expect it to be a subtle flavor. Good citrus + cedar made for a really nice beer. Nice woody finish.

Very mellow...doesn't show any signs of 7.5% (my notes say 9%, wonder where that came from) ABV. Pretty good beer, and a nice easy drinker.

08-28-2009 04:12:43 | More by Gyle41386
corby112

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a dark hazy golden orange/amber color with a 1.5 finger frothy, pillowy off-white head. Good retention with soapy chunks of lacing.

Citrus earthy hop aroma. Floral and citrusy with an excellent biscuity malt backbone with a subtle cedar smokey tobacco presence.

Creamy medium body with soft carbonation. Citrus hops, light fruit up front followed by a nice citrus hop bitterness and a nice roasty cedary wooden tobacco presence that leads into a very bitter hop finish. Burnt wood tobacco aftertaste is present with a little too much of a mat backbone for my liking but otherwise very unique, complex and drinkable.

08-23-2009 07:44:00 | More by corby112
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Bottle into Sam Adams lager glass. Big thanks to Greg (Tpd975) for the great extra!

Pours clear copper with a towering, dense 2-finger off-white head and tons of effervescence. Fantastic stickage and lacing. This one hits all the right notes in terms of appearance.

Nose is evident even as the beer is being poured from a foot away. Big, vibrant, tangy grapefruit and even a bit of pineapple latch onto a spicy pine note that I think is also the best incarnation of the cedar as well, which is very subtle in the nose.

Taste carries a big, pungent hop note up front, grapefruit rind, pine, and the spicy, resiny cedar note all latch on to the prominent bitterness. Caramel malt backbone never diminishes underneath, but never escapes that big, pungent hop note either. There's a dankness to this one that I have a hard time deciding whether I'm a fan of or not, almost a denseness to the flavors. Medium-heavy bitterness lingers on the finish.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, creamy from the lingering head with a pleasant, tiny-bubbled, soft carbonation. Bit tingly, sticky, heavy.

Drinkability is ok, I suppose - too heavy and dense to really be tempting in large quantities, and the pungency and bitterness tend to build up a bit. A nice beer, and gorgeous, but with flaws as well.

08-22-2009 18:19:00 | More by JohnQVegas
miketd

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Big props to mcbackus. Thanks man! Pour is bronze with a nice, fluffy white head. Aroma of pine, grapefruit and fresh grass. Flavor is bitter upfront with a lot of cedar and almost smokey. The body is thick and almost seems to contain pulp or something. Very clean and dry. This was my favorite beer from Cigar City so far. Hook a brutha up!!!

08-19-2009 12:49:39 | More by miketd
kbm

Arizona

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

Received a bottle in a trade with Keifdog.

Preface: I decided to drink this in a cigar store (which boasts one of the largest walk in humidor's in the state, so lots of cedar smells already) with a cigar (Rocky Patel Sungrown).

Appearance: Poured slightly cloudy copper with a huge head (maybe four fingers) with great retention and lacing.

Smell: Citrusy/piney hop metallic and the more I drink the more I smell the cedar.

Taste: Malty and citrusy with cedar prominent in the after taste. Moderate hopiness. The cedar is not a bad flavor, just different but I don't think the cedar adds to the beer. I've had the regular Jai Alai IPA and given the choice, I would order the regular Jai Alai every time. However, the cedar did add an interesting complexity in the cigar shop which was already cedar smelly in its own right.

Mouthfeel: Moderate to heavy carbonation. Pretty refreshing on a warm day.

Drinkability: Somewhere between a gulper and a sipper. Medium body.

08-16-2009 07:15:29 | More by kbm
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance: Pours a hazed, deep copper body with an inch of long-lasting, whitish foam.

Smell: Pale maltiness with a sweet-scented brushing of light caramel coupled with a spicy, peppery cedar aroma and peppy hop notes of tangy citrus and grass.

Taste: Pale malts with a touch of fresh grains and a sweet mingling of light caramel and toffee. Brightly hoppy with a bold hit of juicy citrus fruits and a slight grassy overtone. Moderate bitterness. Ah, then there's the cedar wood delivering a distinct taste of finely-ground white pepper for a nice layer of spiciness. Sure, it finishes dry and fairly bitter, but it's that lingering zesty cedar wood that really sends you back for another and another sip.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Slight hefty, chewiness to the mouthfeel though.

Drinkability: Very enjoyable. While it would be a fine, balanced India Pale Ale in its own right, it's the addition of cedar wood that really sells it for me.

08-15-2009 03:49:47 | More by ChainGangGuy
jbone78

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Got this one from the Whole Foods located behind the brewery when I was in Tampa less than a month ago. Here we go...

A- Poured from the wonderful 750 ml. bottle into my Cigar City pint glass. Pours yellow/orange with a slight haze to it. Head starts off strong and dissipates quickly.
S- Not much in this department. Normal, I suppose.
T- The best part! At first, you get a great citrus flavor similar to grapefruit. Very nice balance, not overwhelmed with bitterness. I really enjoy the flavors. When you thought you were done the cedar kicks into a smooth finish.
Nice!
M- I might have ranted too much in the Taste department, but well balanced and perfect carbonation.
D- I wish we could get this in Panama City. Maybe one day.

-Bye

08-08-2009 00:08:43 | More by jbone78
hoppymeal

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a fairly hazy light to medium copper with a thick, cream colored, two-finger head that very slowly recedes, some decent lacing as it does. Aroma is a nice citrusy hoppiness, grapefruit, some oranges and cotton candy, overall a pretty hoppy aroma. Taste follows with a quick glimpse of the citrus, before the cedar becomes evident, light, but there, hope come back in towards the finish with some grapefruit-y bitterness. The cedar and woodiness accentuate some of the alcohol in the beer, but definitely doesn't make it offensive, the wood notes also work fairly well with the hoppy flavors, never taking over. Mouthfeel is medium in body, some nice tingly hops on the palate and back of the throat, a small bite of alcohol, and some drying bitterness in the finish. Overall a very good ipa, I am not usu a huge fan of wood aged ipa's as the alcohol always seems to overpower the fresh hoppiness, but here it is just mild enough to be able to work with it and still let the hops shine. Would definitely love to try some of that cedar flavor in a big stout, but it worked well here, nicely done. Thanks Jay for the opportunity.

08-02-2009 02:59:46 | More by hoppymeal
Overlord

1.98/5  rDev -51.2%

Thanks to fogdog for hooking me up with several Cigar City brews. I am looking forward to trying this underexposed, almost never mentioned on the forums brewery.

I carefully poured myself 2.3 oz for reviewing purposes, then set the rest aside to be consumed after my review is in final (there will be no edits at a later date). I tossed the bottle in my dryer on medium heat then shoved it in the microwave, sans cap, for thirty seconds, to replicate cross-country growler shipping in desert conditions. Now we're good to go!

Pours a deep, hazy orange-amber with a billowing off-white head. Huge heads on these Cigar City brews.

Smells like ... whoa. Holy s***. So that's what a cedar infused beer smells like. Ummm...okay. I smell what I imagine is cedar. Huge amounts of piney, aromatic, cigar-storage-box esque cedar. Yeah, the humidor name is apt. While there's no tobacco in the nose, my brain wants to insert it.

Taste is a bit more complex, with some grapefruit, juicy tangerine, and a bit of bitter pine ... along with CEDAR. And some balancing caramel. You have to have a disciplined palate to pick out the nuances here.

It coats the tongue. Exotic. Memorable. Would I want it every day? No. Cedar is awful and shouldn't be used to age beer. There. I said it.

Very good mouthfeel. Sticky, tangy, good carbonation. F*** that cedar.

07-31-2009 09:03:31 | More by Overlord
gford217

Georgia

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

750mL bottle courtesy of jdubfl poured into a tulip.

Pours a deep, hazy brownish orange with a big creamy white head that shows fantastic retention and remains a one-inch head for the duration. Lacing is impressive as well with sheets of sticky lace all the way down.

The aroma is not too different from the original Jai Alai with a dominant fruity citrus aroma with hints of pine and a nice caramel sweetness as well. The cedar is definitely present but not overpowering at all.

The taste is where the cedar comes out a bit more. There's lots of juicy citrus up front but it gives way to a healthy caramel malt sweetness and a more prevalent spicy wood presence which lingers through the finish with a healthy dose of resinous hops.

The mouthfeel is pretty full bodied and very sticky with hop juice. There is an interesting spiciness from the cedar as well which makes the mouthfeel more unique than most IPAs.

This is a very impressive beer from Cigar City and I think it's better than the original, as the cedar really smooths things out and lends an earthiness to things. I'm not normally a fan of wood-aged IPAs, but this one really surprised me. Well done and one of the better IPAs I've tasted in recent memory.

07-26-2009 02:06:31 | More by gford217
DIM

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

a: This was a chill-hazed golden coppery color, on the dark side for an IPA. It poured with a big, craggy, sticky white head.

s: Hard to believe this beer has been aged in anything. The first thing I noticed was the fresh, vibrant citrusy hops. Plenty of lemon peel with a little grapefruit. The cedar in the backround is subtle and comes across as spicy rather than woody. Very nicely done!

t: Pretty big departure from the smell. The cedar has muted the hops to the point that they seem herbal rather than citric. Some lemony elements do remain however. The cedar is pretty prominent at the finish, and it is distinctly "woody". Still, all this combined with just a hint of caramel sweetness makes for an interesting and undeniably delicious beer.

m: Gently creamy carbonation and a big, silky smooth body.

d: I entered into this with some trepidation. Aging an IPA for any purpose always sounds like a bad idea to me. I have to give these guys credit though. They handled this with finesse and it came together beautifully.

07-25-2009 18:04:52 | More by DIM
JAA

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Purchased this bottle along with another(for trading) at Norman's Liquors, just east of I-75 on SR-70 in Bradenton.

Dark amber hue with red highlights. Nice one and a half finger, frothy, off white head. Laces very well. The head is here for the long haul.

Smell and taste have quite a bit of a bitter, lemon peel quality. The flavor is complimented by grapefruit and a light caramel sweetness, way in the back. An underlying earthy/woody taste remains on the tongue long after the swallow.

Mouthfeel is soft and silky. An astringent bitterness does lessen the drinkability a bit, but not a bad wood aged beer. I, however, think that IPAs are not the most suitable beer for wood aging. And i believe that the Jai Alai was better without aging it on Cedar. A fresh Jai Alai cannot be improved upon.

07-25-2009 17:52:46 | More by JAA
drabmuh

Maryland

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Served in a 24 oz. wine bottle at a local beer bar, I had to try due solely to its uniqueness and the fact that I will never be able to get this beer again. Served in a Watou goblet.

Beer was relatively clear, aged on cedar it gave it an interesting depth that I had not tasted in other beers. I am not usually a fan of Oak-aged beers, but I know they are aged to mellow them, the cedar imparted an interesting, albeit good, smoothness to this beer. It would not be fair to classify this beer as a hop bomb, although the bar tender could not tell me the ABV, I assumed it was in the 8% range. I was feeling no pain by the end. Head was steady and persistent to the end. An impressive beer all around. It is a shame that I have not gotten to explore Cigar City more.

07-21-2009 16:46:39 | More by drabmuh
aubuc1

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

750 ml bottle poured in to a goblet.

Pours a hazy orangy amber with a white sticky head that isn't moving anyime soon.

Smell starts like sweet citrus, then a spicy woody finish.

Taste is cedary. Starts with a mellow cedar then a hoppy middle finishing with a deeper woody finish.

Mouthfeel is very full and the cedar keeps the hoppy bitterness from being too strong.

An excellent beer that I was very surprised to find.

07-21-2009 00:09:22 | More by aubuc1
nickfl

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

A - One and a half fingers of off-white head on a moderately hazy, copper-brown body. The thick, creamy head settles slowly and the lace is appropriately dense on the walls of the glass.

S - Lots of hop aroma, very fruity with pineapple notes and a hint of orange. Malty background, toast and a bit of caramel. Can't say I am getting any cedar yet, though it could easily hide within this hop character.

T - Pungent hops up front with some spicy, woody character up front. Pine and grapefruit with toasty, toffee like malt. Bitterness begins to kick in the middle and notes of pepper and grapefruit come out. The wood begins to assert itself in the finish, there is a subtle, incense like cedar note and quite a bit of spicy tobacco flavor. A strong, grapefruit-like astringency lingers on the palate.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a slightly sweet, somewhat astringent finish.

D - Pretty drinkable with a huge hop character. The cedar seems to be very subtle, and may have contributed to a slightly medicinal aftertaste, but it does seem to augment the hops. Clearly the base beer is a very nice, robust IPA and while I haven't had a chance to try it yet, it is on my list.

07-19-2009 03:37:04 | More by nickfl
dukedevil0

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Got this 750mL from Gtreid in a recent LIF, thanks so much for the generosity! Cracked this open for new beer Saturday with Alex and Dave (MasterSki and d0b).

A: Pours a hazy orangey amber with just off-white colored head and lots of lacing on the glass.

S: Smells like tons of orange, grapefruity hops, citrus, pine, light cedar, earthiness...smells great, but not as intense as I'd prefer

T: Lots of pine, grapefruit hoppiness, more cedar in the flavor, a nice amount of malt but still the hops win out, decent amount of bitterness in the finish

M: Really full bodied and well carbonated make this a really nice mouthfeel

D: Pretty highly drinkable, it feels like a bigger IPA, but it's still sessionable with the great flavor and you really don't pick up much alcohol if any.

07-18-2009 22:01:40 | More by dukedevil0
MasterSki

Ontario (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Big thanks to Dave (dukedevil0) for busting this out for New Beer "Saturday". Served in an Upland pint glass.

A - A couple fingers of darker blonde foam that dissipates and leaves some patchy lacing and a nice cap. Really dark and hazy glowing red-orange color - perhaps one of the darkest IPAs I've had in a while.

S - The smell is super-intense and full of cedar and ripe Valencia orange. I'm a little confused - the smell reminds me of cedar chests, orange wood polish, and tobacco, which I generally wouldn't associate with beer, but somehow it's good nonetheless. I think the hops and humidor have combined to create a dank earthy character which I also enjoy. I think the wood presence might be a little to aggressive at the expense of the IPA flavors.

T - The taste, while still having plenty of cedar, is less woody and more orange peel, tropical fruits, and piney hops. There's some nice doughy malt presence the balances things out. Some nice mild bitterness in the finish - I get the sense that most of the hop flavor has been imparted from dry-hopping, which has keep the alpha acids down.

M - The mouthfeel is similar to many of my other favorite IPAs - lower carbonation with only a touch of zing, chewy medium body, soft texture, and lots of residual resins.

D - The cedar flavor builds a little bit keeping this from being a super session beer, but the other qualities are eminently drinkable - great ABV, carbonation, solid taste. I'd have one of these to mix things up, but it would never be my go-to brew.

I'm guessing I'll like regular Jai Alai a little more, but this was an excellent brew nonetheless.

07-18-2009 21:56:55 | More by MasterSki
thryn

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

I guess this is what I've got?

It is a very hazy, dark honey color with a nice fluffy cream colored head that leaves wonderful lace as it recedes. A millimeter or so of film hangs out atop the beer as I drink it and it leaves nice sheets of lace.

Smell is nice an hoppy -- lots of citrus hops in this one -- with some cedar and a hint of tobacco. Maybe I'm imagining that. but sweeter than a typical AIPA for sure. It smells delicious.

This is a wonderfully mellow IPA! It's got a lot of big hop flavor but the bitterness is really well smoothed out. The cedar imparts a nice bright woodiness to it, and there really is some tobaccoey character, but it doesn't taste like a cigarette -- it's a spicy character, more like fresh tobacco smells, in a way? A nice bitter finish has me reaching for the glass again.

A bit sticky and oily on the palate, with a medium body and a moderate and creamy carbonation. Slightly dry at the finish.

A little too easy to drink, but worth lingering over. Switching to a regular AIPA after this should be interesting.

07-14-2009 07:10:35 | More by thryn
mullenite

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a rich copper color with a 2 finger solid cream colored head. Very strong lacing sticking to the glass.

The only way I can describe the smell would be to fill a humidor with an IPA. The cedar is the strongest point and it smells great, the other pine and hop scents are just added to by it.

The cedar is strong in the finish of the beer. Otherwise the beer is a typical IPA. Strong pine bitterness is prominent with little to no malt flavor.

Medium body with active carbonation. Easy to drink but the cedar is strong.

07-14-2009 00:46:22 | More by mullenite
cjgator3

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

750ml bottle

A- 750ml bottle poured into a snifter. Pours a dark hazy amber color with a huge off-white head that provides amazing retention and lacing. Cigar City sure knows how to make fantastic looking brews in the glass!

S- The aroma is a bit of malt with a good dose of fresh citrusy hops. There is also a very small presence from the cedar. It is subtle, but it goes awesome with the beer.

T- The taste like the aroma has a small malt backbone that quickly gives way to an explosion of bitter hop flavors in the finish. Like the aroma, the subtle cedar notes are very well placed.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a perfect amount of carbonation.

D- Cigar City has done it again with another fabulous beer! I was a huge fan of the regular Jai Alai on tap so I was very excited to hear that they were releasing a Cedar Aged version. It was well worth the wait, what a fantastic beer! Highly Recommended!

07-11-2009 04:33:47 | More by cjgator3
Gtreid

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Had this on tap at the brewery a few weeks ago, but this review is from a 750 ml bottle, poured into a tulip.

A: Hazy burnt orange color. The pour produces a little over one finger of fluffy cream colored head that leaves great lacing.

A: Almost perfect nose. I get the simcoe and cascade hops, grapefruit, orange peel, and maybe some honey. But the cedar wood, just acentuates all of these flavors. It is distictly cigar cedar, it smell just like walking into a humidor.

T: Again very nice. I get everything I got in the nose. The cedar is definately different, but welcomed. This is a one of a kind taste. The beer finishes very dry, with no hint of the ABV.

M: Medium body, very good amount of carbonation, makes for a smooth semi-resinous mouthfeel.

D and overall impression: I could only drink one of these 750 ml bottles, not that I couldn't have more, but because of the complexity of this IPA, my palate is ruined. Overall, this is a fantastic beer. Cedar should become a staple for aging beer. Kudos again to Wayne and Joey, just great! Skal.

07-10-2009 22:01:11 | More by Gtreid
hippk9

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Okay, this reminds me exactly like one of my grandmother's hand knit afghans....maybe one that we used as kids outside for picnics once before and then it was put away, with grass blades still stuck to it, and left in her ancient cedar hope chest for months, until it came time to shake it out and wrap up in it while decorating the Christmas tree.
Weird review I know but it is how it makes me feel. This beer is good.

07-09-2009 17:26:00 | More by hippk9
tpd975

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Copper colored with pillowy cream colored head. Nice retention and lace.

S: Same great hoppiness of the standard Jai Alai. Lots of nice pine with intermingling grass and citrus. Strong notes of spicy cedar can be picked up as well. A real nice fruity aroma as well that reminds me of fruity pebbles.

T: Love how the cedar plays off the hops. If you had not had the regular Jai Alai you would think it is rye or a herbal hop. It's not its the cedar and boy does it work. Of course it is backed up by ample amounts of malt and lots of grass and citrus. The finish is bold and sweet. Nice orange with hints of pineapple. Really top notch, can't wait for the bottle release.

M: Medium in body, nice and smooth.

D: Very tasty, I love what the cedar does to this already tasty IPA.

05-26-2009 20:01:04 | More by tpd975