2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 866 | Reviews: 447 | Show All Ratings:
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Cigar City Tampa FL for 5$

Appearance - Slightly hazy gold colour with a large size fizzy white coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some great lacing. The head lasted for only a few minutes.

Smell - Hops, malts, grapefruit, wood/smoke

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste caramel and malts mixed with hops. There is also some grapefruits mixed with cedar/smokey/peppery notes. It ends with a bitter hop aftertaste and some lingering woody notes.

Overall – I had this along side a regular Jai and this one seemed to lose a bit of the tropical fruitiness while gaining the woody flavours. It's a really interesting beer, but not something I'd want to drink a whole lot of.

01-17-2013 01:28:45 | More by spinrsx
Justin_Neff

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle received from Smokinoak. Big thanks!

A: Pours a cloudy dark, burnt orange body. Creates a massive pillow-like beige colored head. Clings to the glass the whole time it slowly disappears.

S: The cedar smell dominates, underlined with exotic fruits and a bit of citrus - Mango, Papaya, Pineapple, Orange, Grapefruit. The cedar smell comes off a little bit like tomato juice. Peppery.

T: The Cedar is the star of the show here. Definitely some fruity citrus character, as well as some hop bitterness to take away from the sweetness of the fruit. Again, as the smell suggests, the cedar has a tomato juice resemblance. A little bit of a different taste with every sip - IMO that reveals a high level of complexity.

M: Medium Body. Moderate carbonation. A little dry actually. Sticky.

O: It took a few minutes for this one to sink for me honestly. At first I thought the wood was overly dominant. Then I took another sip and got seemingly an entirely different taste. As it warmed even more complexity came out. Definitely not my favorite, but definitely a cool twist to an already stellar IPA.

03-09-2013 01:24:25 | More by Justin_Neff
LambicPentameter

Kansas

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed out of a 12 oz brown bottle that I received as part of a Cigar City sampler pack. There is a bottling date engraved (?) on the curve of the bottle where the neck meets the body, but it is a bit marred. From what I can tell, it looks like a bottling date of 10/6/2013. Poured into the IPA-specific Speigelau glass for maximum IPA-ness.

Appearance - Looks much like the base beer, Jai Alai, with the overall tone being a ruddy orange-copper color, but this one has a bit more reddish element to it. There is a noticeable amount of particulate in the glass, showing off the fact that this is an unfiltered IPA. Atop the body sits a frothy head of about two fingers that begins to dissipate slowly almost immediately. However, it moves at a snail's pace, and never completely dissipates. As it shrinks, it leaves healthy sheets of lacing on the side of the glass, as well as some faint rings that eventually disappear with time.

Smell - Notes of tropical fruit, again much like the base beer, but there is another element there that is hard to detect on it's own, but definitely changes the characteristic of the IPA. Some faint woodiness and the pleasant bite of astringency. I was hoping for more cedar characteristic, but approaching three months after bottling, I suppose that hope is misplaced. Still a nice smelling IPA.

Taste - The wood is a little more present here, with some subtle spice imparted by the cedar, but then the tropical hops are again present with mango and pineapple, but with a malt profile that is heftier than I initially detected from the smell. Rye biscuit and toasted whole grain bread along with some grapefruit bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel - Light-to-medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a somewhat bitter aftertaste.

Overall, it's hard to be a fair judge of this beer, given the age it's seen and the likelihood that said age has hindered the flagship characteristic of this beer--the cedar. However, it is a nice IPA in it's own right and I'm impressed that the hops have held up well, especially in contrast to the cedar. Would love to try this a tad fresher sometime.

01-08-2014 05:22:39 | More by LambicPentameter
HonusWagner

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a very pretty orange hue, resembles apricots to me, but I'm mildly colorblind, so who knows! I like the color but the head is only decent so I can't give this a 5.

The smell is very boring, some mild piney hops and presumably cedar, and definitely didn't impress me as I tilted the glass back for the first time.

The taste, on the other hand, is pretty impressive. A very good balance between the moderate citrus hops and the cedar keeps the beer from getting in to hop bomb territory. I'd be very interested to try the normal Jai Alai to see how these good hops taste when they're on their own.

The mouthfeel is very good, a nice amount of carbonation gives the beer some life in the mouth. Drinkability started out pretty high but it definitely feels boozier as you get down the bottle. Unfortunately for all other IPAs, the standard to me is Pliny and it's pretty damn hard to come close to PtE in drinkability.

Overall, a solid buy and one I might revisit later after I've tried the regular IPA.

10-21-2009 22:32:24 | More by HonusWagner
Avagadro

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

A: This brew presents a perfect appearance, with a massive, rocky head, great retention, crystal clarity, and a light copper tint.

S: Bouquet is well presented, with heavy doses of Pacific northwest hops. No cedar is found in the nose.

T: Body is off-dry, with heavy emphasis on the PNW hops. Pine and citrus give way to a juicy malt sweetness. I really can't pick up on any cedar though.

M: The body is full, with a touch of tingly carbonation and hop astringency.

D: Overall, a great IPA and definitely worth checking out. I have to knock of a few points though due to the absence of anything resembling cedar. Since the label suggested pairing a cigar, I took the liberty of pairing this with an Onyx Robusto, after enjoying the beer solo, of course.

10-31-2010 03:25:36 | More by Avagadro
mntlover

Tennessee

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a hazy burnt orange color with a off white two finger head that falls to a cap and laces well.

Aroma is wow earthy, deep fruits almost dark like, maybe more like tobacco kept in an old cedar chest. Cedar is noted along with a nice dose of spiciness lightly peppery.

Taste is unusual also, carbonation seems to push fruit bitter grapefruit hops, but not normal bitter grapefruit. Grapefruit infused with cedar, tobacco and lots of spicy earth notes. Very worth trying but not sure I would want this on a regular basis.

Mouthfeel is medium with fairly lively carbonation that seems to push all the flavors to you.

Overall enjoyable experience aroma is very nice but for me the flavor might be just tad too much for me to enjoy this one on a regular basis. But damn sure worth a try glad I had the chance.

07-29-2011 02:22:44 | More by mntlover
callmescraps

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

My first cigar city brew. Very excited. Not sure how the cedar will work on this one.

App- nice deep orange, amber color. Big, frothy off white head. Nice retention, nice lacing. Very cloudy. Nice looking. Lacing is great on this one.

Smell- some nice tropical fruit. There is a definite malt backbone. Not getting a ton of cedar. A little mellow.

Taste- nice hoppiness, but not as much as I would like. There is a strong, sweet caramel malt supporting his one. Very bitter finish that lingers. A little floral.

Mouthfeel- nice and rich. Unfiltered, bottle conditioned, and nice and rich.

Drink- goes down pretty easy.

A little sweet. More malt than I prefer. But i do like the richness, and the great look. A nice beer, but not for me.

01-21-2011 02:29:02 | More by callmescraps
kawilliams81

Yukon (Canada)

Served in a La Chouffe Tulip

A- Very cloudy, burnt orange.

S- Pick up on the cedar nicely, get some pine and citrus hops as well.

T- Similar to the nose. Lots of cedar from the barrel aging is noticeable at first. Then the pine and some citrus hops hit you with a big bitterness. Followed by a dry bitter aftertaste.

M- Chewy and has a creaminess to it.

O- The cedar is a nice change up to a barrel aged IPA. Liked it but I will not seek it out the next time I am in Florida.

05-30-2011 21:34:02 | More by kawilliams81
Kadonny

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Third person in a row reviewing this beer from the firkin at Capones in Norristown PA during PBW. Poured from firkin into a regular pint glass.

A: Immediately I looked and thought of apple cider. Exact same color as fresh apple cider. A real murky, chunky brownish orange color with very minimal head. Not much glass lacing.

S: Cedar aged? You bet it is. Huge (I mean huge) smell of cedar coupled with the citric hops and sweet caramel malt. Still, the cedar seems to overpower the other smells.

T: First sip brings cedar (shocking) but it does get mixed with the classic Jai Alai citrus hops and heavy caramel sweetness. Pineapple, orange and slight grapefruit rind give some woody bitterness that quickly gives way to the heavy caramel sweetness. Cedar flavors stick throughout. Finish for me turned sweet, especially as it warmed. At the end of the glass the beer got very sweet upon finish. I'm not getting a drying finish at all as someone else mentioned. Woody sweetness here.

M: Sweet, full, woody, alcohol well hidden slight bitterness.

O: Ok, I'm going to be different here and say I enjoyed this a bit. I like the cedar idea, but it for sure needs toning down to allow the Jai Alai flavors to come out more. I will disagree with the 2 other reviews and say I had no problem finishing the glass, but I can say I didn't want another one.

Overall this was a very interesting beer that I was still very glad to try. As I said, tone down the cedar a bit and see how that turns out. A rare beer (via cask no less) that I'm super happy Matt at Capones was able to secure. Nicely done whether you like the beer or not.

Serving type: cask

06-09-2011 16:46:50 | More by Kadonny
russwbeck

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

A: Yellow-brown clear pour with a wispy white head. Very bubbly.

S: Malts, cedar, oak all prominent. Hoppiness in the background. Doesn't specifically smell like an IPA.

T: The maltiness blend nicely with the cedar and oak flavors. The hops are there, and add a bit of fruit, but the hit of hops is small.

MF: Light body, carbonation is low. Alcohol is not noted at all.

O: This was a big strange. Not bad, certainly an interesting taste. Don't think I'd have it again.

08-27-2011 21:11:55 | More by russwbeck
Spider889

On tap at Cigar City.

A - Very clear, amber in color, maybe a twinge darker than the original, though this was never as pale as some IPA's get... Good head and retention, leaves decent lace as well.

S - Very spicy and earthy with some lemon coming through from the hops and oaken/wood aroma that I wasn't entirely certain I could distinguish as cedar.

T - Citrus and grapefruit start things off, as well as some bitter fruit pithiness. The hops are going strong in the flavor department still. Nice sweet caramel maltiness and wood flavor underneath. Not nearly as strong or unique a wood flavor as I was anticipating though.

M/O - Crisp, a bit dry. Overall interesting but I'd take a regular Jai Ali over this most occasions.

12-11-2011 10:37:17 | More by Spider889
Viciousknishs

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

A- pours a hazed deep burnt orange color with a finger of off white head.decent head retention. Good lacing.

S- robust cedar aromas permeate the aroma. Nice citrusy and spicy floral hop notes come out in the middle. Dry malt aroma on the finish.

T- nice burst of citrusy and spicy floral hops up front. Dry biscuity malt brings some balance. Big woody cedar character on the finish with solid hop bitterness. The cedar and spicy leafy hops linger on the palate.

MF- full slick mouthfeel with a medium body and medium carbonation.

D- good drinkability with very unique flavor from the cedar.

01-19-2012 01:57:40 | More by Viciousknishs
IPAdams

3.74/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- pours an orange amber with an inch white head that lingers for a little and leaves some lacing. A lot of visible yeast.

Smell- lots of citrus hops with just a hint of the oak.

Taste- oak is a bit more noticeable here than in the smell. Starts very woody with hints of vanilla, then a mix of caramel and citrus hops. Moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel- good medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

Overall- very good beer, the woody flavors are offset by the citrus hops and it makes for a very tasty mixture

08-20-2013 23:34:50 | More by IPAdams
Domingo

Colorado

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

Brought this back from my last Tampa trip.
Pours a cloudy copper color with lots of hop oils suspended in it.
Hops hit the nose right away, but with some distinct peppery character, too.
The flavor is interesting and has a lot going on. Initially it's like the normal Jai Alai, with malts hitting up front and a huge wave of resin-y hops following. However the finish has a pretty distinct wood character that imparts a hint of ginger-like spice and a big wave of pepper. It's really unusual as most wood aged beers tend to be oak. The cedar is very peppery, with a hint of sourness, too. I appreciate the uniqueness of it, but I'm not sure it's my cup-o-tea.
Mouthfeel is as expected. No real difference between this and the normal Jai Alai.
Drinkability is huge initially just because the flavor is so different, but after about 1/2 a glass I slowed down a lot.
Pretty cool item that showcases a different wood and flavor profile. Not a world beater, but still tasty.
While not perfectly to my own tastes, I think this is a really unique item that some people might really love.

07-05-2010 20:19:43 | More by Domingo
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

Big thanks to both Jw347 and Beerlando for bottles of this one.

Pours a very nice looking slightly hazy glowing orange color with light brown highlights and a monsterous fluffy pillowy billowy white cauliflower head that retains extraordinarily well and leaves fantastic lacing. Very nice looking.

Nose smells, in all literality, like a well seasoned humidor full of IPA.

Hmmm. The Cedar doesn't seem so strong at first, but then it jumps out of the closet in a clown suit and wails you in the balls with a bat made out of old cigar boxes. The IPA underneath this tastes like it would be quite good, maybe very good, but i just think the cedar aging is a bit overboard. I love the use of cedar in other CCB offerings, but in this one its just a bit too much. That being said, its very educational, and allowed me to appreciate what they've done with it in other beers, and this is still a good brew. I just need it in very small doses.

The mouthfeel is solid, not soupy, but certainly not thin. Carbonation is ideal.

Drinkability would be great, the abv is well hidden and all that, but due to the cedar face raping, it makes it a little tough.

Overall I think this is a beer everyone should try, and certainly has proven to me that cedar aging does belong in the beer world. I just think the beer its used on should be able to stand up to its prominent flavor, and IMO, this one would be better without the cedar. I would love to someday try the regular old Jai alai. An interesting, educational, and beer worth trying, but not one i would drink alot of. Still tastes great, its just too much...

09-17-2009 03:25:32 | More by AKBelgianBeast
ThreeWiseMen

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

Got this in a recent trade with my favorite trading buddy, fogdog. Thanks a ton Kevin! Can't wait to get my hands on some more Cigar City stuff!

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Very hazy caramel-colored body with a small white cap. Head looked a little fizzy at first, but quickly settled to a tight, sticky, halo. Great web-like lacing. Looks elegant.

Smell: Rich cedar, flowery hops, and pine. I also get some caramel and toffee-like undertones. Pretty mild on the whole, with cedar being the most prominent aroma.

Taste: Cedar and caramel are the most obvious flavors up front. Surprisingly, I'm tasting a lot of pilsner malt - not sure if they actually use that in the recipe though. Maybe that's the cedar barrels causing that flavor. The finish is very dry and piney with some solid bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light on the palate. Prickly, somewhat gritty, feel from the carbonation. Feels pilsner-y to an extent. As noted above, finishes dry and bitter.

Drinkability: This was my second time tasting this beer, and both times I haven't been too impressed. I like the idea, and I like the cedar, but this one just doesn't do it for me. Worth a try still.

11-08-2009 21:55:44 | More by ThreeWiseMen
Reagan1984

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

Special Thanks to Avalon68 for providing this as an extra in a recent trade. Frank is an awesome trading partner..

Poured this into a tulip glass hoping to accentuate the wood notes of this beer. As it turns out that was not necessary. Beer pours with couple fingers of tight foamy white head what almost looks like whipped egg whites. Excellent retention and lots of sticky lacing. The beer is a hazy amber color with orange sunset tones.

Aroma is peppery and clearly of cedar. Lots of herbal qualities here along with some pine.

Well my first impression is that the cedar completely takes over the beer. As I slowly worked my way through the bottle I got accustomed to the heavy cedar notes and enjoyed the beer more. Initial pine notes, white pepper and then cedar, cedar, cedar. I've heard pencil shaving used as an adjective for some wood aged beers. I've never used it and now I am... Yep, taste like wood shavings. It's almost like the cedar accentuates the hop bitterness. Big lingering hop bitterness. Also some yeast notes here.

The carbonation is almost pin point like and brightens the flavor. Medium body and a little powdery.

The wood aging really slows you down in drinking this. If this is a standard IPA, it's the slowest one I've ever consumed.

This is interesting, that's for sure. But I am not in love with it. Very glad to have tried it.

11-21-2009 23:10:58 | More by Reagan1984
thecarster1

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

a- 750ml bottle poured into a perfect pint, two finger billowy head, cloudy tawny brown coloring.

s- lots of cedar in the nose, a little peat,

t- ipa in a cedar closet. that about sums it up, lots of the citrus, a touch sweet, tropical fruit, and sappy pine from the jai alai poured into a cedar closet and drank with a crazy straw. as it warms the cedar character gets more and more prevalent, i could have it be a little more subtle.

m- medium, prickly.

d- nice, this is a nice change up here, the aging really did something nice for this brew, while still retaining all the great qualities that make jai alai a top notch brew. i could stand the cedar to be a little more subtle, but it is still good.

02-12-2011 00:41:52 | More by thecarster1
sentomaster

Connecticut

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

A- very hazy like a golden cloud. Cloudier than any IPA I've seen. A fat, soft, fluffy white head rises up and hangs out for awhile.

S- Sharp zesty notes of citrus and grapefruit. There's a smooth subdued earthy scent that I assume comes from the cedar. The cedar adds an interesting element I can't quite put my finger on.

T/M- A strong and sweet malt presence smacks upfront, but is nowhere near out of balance. The wood is really interesting and I like the way it rounds out and brings together all of the flavors. A creamy, big bodied IPA that feels more like a DIPA. The hops really hide underneath the wood and malt upfront, but flank your palate and pull a surprise attack. A sharp bitterness, sweet and sour grapefruit, and just a touch of citrusy orange peel. There's also an herbal spiciness. An amazing finish that hits a wall. Just as you imbibe and the hop flavor hits a crescendo the flavors are mopped up almost completely and only a bit of malty sweetness lingers faintly.

O- A really nice IPA and I love the way the wood plays in this beer. I wish there was a little more hop presence as this finishes so crisp; it's nice but I think it needs even more hopping. While this is a very interesting beer, its not quite great and I wouldn't reach for it over and over again.

04-02-2011 02:00:16 | More by sentomaster
Marty30

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

Thanks to sergfl for this one. 750ml poured into a Duvel tulip at fridge temp. Bottle dated June 14.

A. Nice golden orange body,with a thick two finger offwhite fluffy head. Lacing stuck all over.

S. Tons of cedar, it is the dominant smell. I get some faint piney hops along with a little peach.

T. Upfront I get the cedar, just like the nose. I think it works well with the piney hops. Not getting to much more.

M. Good creamy,smooth medium feel,with perfect carbonation. Bitter,dry finish.

Overall this is a solid beer that benifits from the cedar. It really balences it out. Well done. Makes it very interesting and differant.

10-31-2011 00:47:37 | More by Marty30
iadler

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

Bottle courtesy of Aiptasia.

A- Pours a hazy dark orange with a two finger white head with good retention. A few lines of lacing are left behind.

S- Earthy oak upfront followed by red apples, lemon juice, grapefruit, orange and a hint of caramel malt.

T- Citrus notes with lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit as well as red apple, caramel malt and a strong oak flavor, which is a bit too harsh and overpowering. It did get a bit smoother as the beer warmed up a bit.

M- Medium carbonation and body with a dry finish.

O- This was as advertised with the oak being prominent in the aroma and taste. I did think it was a little too overpowering in the taste which hurt the drinkability, but certainly not a bad effort from CCB.

02-02-2012 00:25:29 | More by iadler
nrbw23

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a fairly clear golden orange color with a huge biege head. Head has great retention and left a tremendous amount of layered lacing. As I poured this one the brew changed from slightly hazy to pretty murky.

S- Smells fairly light. The hops seem to be covered by the cedar smell and a bit of spices.

T- The taste is a bit spicy and a little citrusy, a bit of a bit from the hops. Peppery and again the cedar woody taste is here for sure.

M- Medium in body and fairly low in carbonation.

D- Took me a bit to drink this one. Nothing terrible but was rather different. I'm not sure if I'm digging the wood aged IPA's. I'd try this one again just don't think I'd search super hard for this one.

08-17-2010 08:16:46 | More by nrbw23
wisrarebeer

Wisconsin

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased at Ward's in Gainesville for $8.99.

A: nice bronze-copper color with great rocky head
S: mild nose with nice balance between malt and hops, cedar not noticeable
T: very nice, good malt up front with a ton of bitter piney hops in finish - too much bitterness in finish for me - cedar not noticeable - bitterness mellowed after first sip but still a lot
M: good but too much bitterness in finish for my tastes
D: good but bitter finish tempered my enthusiasm to drink more than what I had in front of me

01-09-2011 21:38:01 | More by wisrarebeer
airohead2001

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

Thanks to glazeman for this one who got it as an extra from moose3285. A few quick comments about this tasty brew - the cedar aging in this definitely comes through in the nose, giving this beer a unique and wonderful smell. The taste is a bit boozy and perhaps a little too malty, but overall, this is a good beer - one I would certainly try again. In terms of mouthfeel, this beer was way too carbonated.

01-20-2011 00:36:01 | More by airohead2001
bs870621345

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

Opened and it started gushing out of the top, smells slightly infected to me.

Pours a cloudy orange color with a HUGE white head and huge bubbles. Not characteristic for an ipa, or the one I had a few months ago.

Smells like cedar, hops, and I get a hint of gueuze and cherry. It kind of tastes like wild devil with cedar, which is not that bad.

Taste follows the smell. Tastes slightly like vinegar, and a little bit of cherry. Cedar on the end. Its actually not too bad.

Mouthfeel is full and carbonated.

Drinkability is alright. The sour flavors don't belong and its going to be a chore to get through the 750.

Not as bad as you'd think, but its infected for sure.

03-03-2011 02:58:45 | More by bs870621345