Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009)
Knapp85

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

This beer poured out as a nice looking orangey yellow color with a strong fluffy white head on it. The lacing was chunky and thick down the glass. The smell of the beer was hoppy much like the regular Jai Alai. The smell didn't really have much of the cedar on the nose. The taste of the beer was very good, lots and lots of hoppy flavors mixed with a light taste of fresh wood in there. The cedar gives off a little spice in the beer I think. The mouthfeel was very drinkable and very easy to gulp it down. Overall I really enjoyed this one, Haven't had anything from Cigar City so far that was a disappointment.

06-28-2011 17:01:14 | More by Knapp85
Brez07

Maine

Reviewing from notes. 750ml bottle, poured into an Allagash 25cl glass

A: Pours an tangerine color, fairly opaque. My first pour yielded a 1 finger head, but I got 2 fingers worth on next pour. Pretty good retention. Leaves a tiny amount of lacing

S: There is mellow juicy citrus, accompanied by biscuit and caramel malts. Notes of wood (cedar) remind me of being in a cigar shop. Wonderful

T: Lots of citrus, orange and grapefruit. Nice hop pine bitterness follows. I detect a little vanilla from the aging process. Has a crisp, dry wood finish

M: Medium bodied. Dry, bitter aftertaste

D: This was a really tasty IPA. The cedar aging added nice complexity. Would definitely drink this again

02-18-2011 22:42:51 | More by Brez07
MasterSki

Ontario (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Big thanks to Dave (dukedevil0) for busting this out for New Beer "Saturday". Served in an Upland pint glass.

A - A couple fingers of darker blonde foam that dissipates and leaves some patchy lacing and a nice cap. Really dark and hazy glowing red-orange color - perhaps one of the darkest IPAs I've had in a while.

S - The smell is super-intense and full of cedar and ripe Valencia orange. I'm a little confused - the smell reminds me of cedar chests, orange wood polish, and tobacco, which I generally wouldn't associate with beer, but somehow it's good nonetheless. I think the hops and humidor have combined to create a dank earthy character which I also enjoy. I think the wood presence might be a little to aggressive at the expense of the IPA flavors.

T - The taste, while still having plenty of cedar, is less woody and more orange peel, tropical fruits, and piney hops. There's some nice doughy malt presence the balances things out. Some nice mild bitterness in the finish - I get the sense that most of the hop flavor has been imparted from dry-hopping, which has keep the alpha acids down.

M - The mouthfeel is similar to many of my other favorite IPAs - lower carbonation with only a touch of zing, chewy medium body, soft texture, and lots of residual resins.

D - The cedar flavor builds a little bit keeping this from being a super session beer, but the other qualities are eminently drinkable - great ABV, carbonation, solid taste. I'd have one of these to mix things up, but it would never be my go-to brew.

I'm guessing I'll like regular Jai Alai a little more, but this was an excellent brew nonetheless.

07-18-2009 21:56:55 | More by MasterSki
thryn

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

I guess this is what I've got?

It is a very hazy, dark honey color with a nice fluffy cream colored head that leaves wonderful lace as it recedes. A millimeter or so of film hangs out atop the beer as I drink it and it leaves nice sheets of lace.

Smell is nice an hoppy -- lots of citrus hops in this one -- with some cedar and a hint of tobacco. Maybe I'm imagining that. but sweeter than a typical AIPA for sure. It smells delicious.

This is a wonderfully mellow IPA! It's got a lot of big hop flavor but the bitterness is really well smoothed out. The cedar imparts a nice bright woodiness to it, and there really is some tobaccoey character, but it doesn't taste like a cigarette -- it's a spicy character, more like fresh tobacco smells, in a way? A nice bitter finish has me reaching for the glass again.

A bit sticky and oily on the palate, with a medium body and a moderate and creamy carbonation. Slightly dry at the finish.

A little too easy to drink, but worth lingering over. Switching to a regular AIPA after this should be interesting.

07-14-2009 07:10:35 | More by thryn
trxxpaxxs

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Got this from 2beerornot2beer in the Blind Beer Round 6 BIF. 750ml. bottle poured into my Russian River "tion" snifter.

A: Pours a cloudy peach color with hues of oranges, reds, and browns. There is about one finger of thick and creamy looking off-white head. The foam settles nicely over time. There is minimal spotty lacing as it drinks.

S: I’m picking up notes of sweet malt, citrus (orange peel), and some booze. There is a really nice balance to this beer. The nose is very enjoyable.

T: I’m getting a nice hit of bitterness right up front. The citrus notes come on strong at first, but seem to mix with some sort of spice. It stings the palate a little, but it doesn’t really last. I’d venture to say that this beer was brewed pepper, not chilies. The sweetness comes through towards the finish, but then the final impression is back to grapefruit like bitters. This beer gets progressively better as it warms.

M: This is a full bodied beer. There is a bit of stickiness that coats the palate nicely. Yet, nothing is too overwhelming. Great carbonation throughout.

O: I’m really enjoying this beer. There is a smooth transition of flavors from start to finish.

01-07-2012 16:41:26 | More by trxxpaxxs
kzoobrew

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Big thanks to Beandip for this bottler. Cheers Adam!

A heavy handed pour leaves a rather imposing head. The oatmeal colored head works its way back very slowly, leaving heavy lacing clinging to the glass. The body is a hazy apricot color.

The aroma puts the cedar on display leaving the hops behind. Fragrant and fresh cedar plank smell. Soft citrusy hop present is noticed but would be easy to miss. Normally I would wish the hops were more up front but I find the aroma rather pleasant.

The flavor brings the hop characteristics back into focus. While the cedar is very noticeable, there is much more balance. Light bready malt base, rather clean allowing the hops and cedar to shine. Orange, grapefruit and pineapple flavors deliver a sweet hop flavor without much bitterness. The cedar delivers a much different flavor than the oak I have use to. The flavor is more resinous and much less earthy and woody.

Medium bodied IPA. The carbonation is medium, the beer is very soft on the tongue. The finish is fairly dry, a bit of sweetness and cedar resinous flavor do drag it out slightly.

I like this beer. I like the cedar and what it brings to Jai Alai. The balance is phenomenal, far too easy to drink. This may be the best wood aged IPA on the market. I have a feeling this will have a permanent spot on my wants list.

05-20-2011 00:20:45 | More by kzoobrew
glid02

Georgia

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Bottle shared by Brodie - thanks!

Pours a slightly hazy deep copper color with a one-finger cream-colored head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of grainy caramel malts, citrus and pine hops, and cedar. Surprisingly the cedar doesn't overpower everything but instead works nicely with the hop aromas.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Caramel malt flavors that are a bit sweeter than the nose intimates kick things off. The malts are joined simultaneously by cedar and hops. The hop flavors are very similar to those in the aroma - pine and citrus with hints of earthiness. The cedar flavor fades a bit, allowing the malt and hops to carry through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall the cedar aromas and flavors were surprisingly robust but never overpowered everything else going on in the beer. Well worth a shot.

05-27-2010 03:17:43 | More by glid02
angrybabboon

New Hampshire

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for half of this beer

Review adapted from notes taken 6/4/11

Appearance: A robust, golden orange - nice lacing, head is kind of fluffy, kind of creamy

Smell: Absolutely REEKS of cedar - this smell reminds me of a chest that my parents use to store sweaters, and the result is complete olfactory confusion - after much contemplation, I have decided that I love this - aside from the cedar, the aroma has some nice pale, biscuity malts and some tropical fruits - some citrus, some pine

Taste: Really interesting, but really not that mind-blowing - nicely balanced hops and malts - sweet, biscuity but mostly pale malts - hops are the typical Jai Alai affair, juicy and tropical - a lot of grapefruit, sweet and bitter - the cedar works really well with this, adding what seems like additional bitterness and a tangy/tart hint

Mouthfeel: Medium body, very smooth, nicely carbonated

Overall: So weird, but so good

There are so many permutations of Jai Alai that keeping track is a challenge. This is the best one I've had thus far. At first the smell made me think that I shouldn't consume this liquid, but after I got over that, it was quite enjoyable.

08-29-2011 18:09:00 | More by angrybabboon
BZero007

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Provided by a fellow BA at a recent tasting, sorry brotha your tag slips my mind. Thanks!

With this brew I felt like I was going to see a movie knowing nothing about it, and coming out amazed.

Poured in to a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Brew has a nice light amber hue to it with the head forming nicely. The head stuck around for a good amount of time and was slightly an off white color. The aroma is where the experience starts with this brew, as the cedar just delights the senses. So not knowing about the aroma I sat there enjoy just the aroma for a good amount of time. Taste and aroma is a crucial part of any brew with out both it fails and this brew did not fail. The taste was of a slightly mellow citrus and sweet malt background. The cedar came out of this brew and balanced everything lovely and seemed to add a warming sensation to it. The brew was incredibly smooth and enjoyable. Will be seeking this one out again and hopefully will make a pit stop at the brewery it self.

03-25-2011 14:53:59 | More by BZero007
oline73

Maryland

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber with a hint of orange. Has one finger of off white head that leaves nice lacing and a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Some sweet malt with a citrus peel hop bitterness. There is just a hint of wood.

Taste: Citrus peel hop bitterness is the dominant flavor. There is some malt sweetness and a spicy note. The cedar has a great flavor that compliments the hops very well. A very well thought out beer. Tastes much better than the smell.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with smooth carbonation. The finish seems like it should be dry, but it never gets there.

Overall: I really enjoyed this one, even more than I thought I would. The cedar is very nice. I would love to have more.

06-30-2011 00:38:26 | More by oline73
roodie

poured from 750 mL bottle into a Green Flash tulip

A: pours a sparkling amber with abundant pillowy head, 3 fingers. lots of lacing

S: immediately smell the cedar, sweetish with a faint hint of hops

T: once again, the cedar taste is very evident, very pleasant. spicy on the tongue with hoppy, bitter backbone

M: very smooth, a bit spicy/carbonated feel on the tongue lingers, with a pleasant sweet taste left in my mouth

D: very drinkable. finished off a 750 on my own without a problem.

O: would seek this out again. only regret is that I can't get it nearby and now it's gone!

03-12-2011 23:04:24 | More by roodie
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

The Humidor Series India Pale Ale certainly lives up to it's name. The same appreciation I get from allowing a fresh and mature cigar to rest in the mouth manifests itself into the flavor of this beer.

The pour brings a serious creamy pour that settles soon enough into a hazy copper beverage, releasing an egg-shell white head, laces extremely well, and very well retained. This is an IPA, albeit with quite the haze.

Quickly, the expected aromas of crisp graham cracker malts and citrus sharpness hits the nose. But very soon after comes the complexity of woody/floral cedar, cashew nuttiness, and mild tobacco notes. Though this is expected, the blend is a perfumy balanced earthiness that is both unmistakable and undeniable. Still, the aromas remain balanced and complex.

Flavors do much the same: The malty-rich flavors of the base beer give the caramels, graham crackers, and sun-kissed barley malt taste while the hops give a firm and bright grapefruit and orange zest contrasat to the sweetness, or even dominates it at times. But this beer is all about what the wood aging does to its transformation. The woodsy, oaky, cashew flavor comes across nicely but with a spicy and nutty taste that gives a great complexity to the beer without over doing it. The balance is complex, vinous, and very lively.

Sure the wood aging gives a feel of astringency and extra bite, but the tanic character of the woods gives a sharp and spirited bitterness/astringent element to the mouth feel that adds to what IPA's do.

Ultimately, this beer is the great IPA but the cedar aging gives the impressions of fresh tobacco, buttery nuts, and fragrant woods. The cedar begins to resemble ginger and sasafrass in its spiciness and brightness which only add to the beer's complexity and roundness. The Humidor Series IPA is truely a pleasure to drink. I would love to to pair this with a great Monte Cristo standard Chirchill.

Thanks RomaniTeDomum.

06-10-2010 05:08:36 | More by BEERchitect
WesWes

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

The beer pours a very hazy/cloudy golden/orange color with a thick frothy off-white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great! It has a very nice pale, Munich, and biscuit malt scent along with an excellent piney hop nose. The cedar adds another layer of complexity. It's light, yet noticeable. The taste is good. It has a nice bitter, hop bite up front along with a complex malt bill that adds some bready notes and a solid pale malt base. The cedar is more aggressive in the taste. The wood compliments the maltiness of the beer. This is an east coast IPA; a perfect choice for the wood aging. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn fine beer. I like the use of cedar instead of oak. It's lighter and seems to just compliment the beer instead of overpowering it.

01-16-2011 19:08:14 | More by WesWes
Idodgepucks

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Poured from a growler into a beer mug. The color on this beer was a real nice amber, with very little head. I made two pours from this bottle though and on my second pour there was about a finger of head so I think it had more to do with my pour than the carbonation.

N - Real nice nice, not too overwhelming, but solid nose with your typical IPA notes.

T - Loved the malt/hoppy taste on this beer. Has a natural, earthy taste to it. It leaves a real nice feel that makes you want to take another swig.

O - Excellent IPA in my opinion. Doesn't have as much typical bitterness as you might expect from the American IPA's, but definitely feels more like what IPA's were originally meant to taste like.

09-09-2011 01:04:25 | More by Idodgepucks
pburland23

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Great Divide Brussels glass.

I just returned from shoveling snow and was looking forward to a beer. I was of a small minority of people who wasn't blown away by regular Jai Alai, but I thought I would give Cigar City another try since it is so highly regarded.

Much like regular Jai Alai, the beer pours a rich chestnuty orange color with a thick white head which lingers for minutes before slowly retreating to some nice lacing.

The aroma is of citrusy hops upfront which recedes to a strong cedar scent. I think the cedar smells great...very earthy, musty and different.

The taste combines the citrusy of the hops with some well balanced malt flavor. The cedar taste provides a smoky quality which really ties the beer together well.

This is a medium bodies beer with an appropriate level of carbonation. The drinkability is also quite good. I could linger over a bottle and have a very enjoyable evening.

01-27-2011 00:07:12 | More by pburland23
urwithdave

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

750 ml bottle poured into my cigar city snifter.

A- Golden orange in color. 2" foamy white head. Nice sticky lacing.

S- Really nice here. Big hops and the cedar really comes out. Grapefruit, orange zest, and some floral scents.

T- The hops are big and the cedar adds a interesting twist. It's very piny and the citrus is abundant. The wood and hops are in the driver seat.

M- Nicely done. A very crisp, dry, finish.

D- I could do a cpl bombers. However, I like it better on draft.

04-05-2010 04:16:30 | More by urwithdave
infi

Poured into a snifter.

Pours a murky and dirty brownish/orange color with a thin white head on top with decent head retention. Sheets of bubbly lacing lined the glass nicely. The aromas were heavily laden with the cedar as it shined the whole way through. Underneath the cedar, however, was a nice duo of pineapple and grapefruit, earthy hops and pine, as well as honey sweetness.

Taste mirrored the aromas quite well with the cedar being the most noticeable flavor above all. The balance of malts and hops is quite evident from the first sip with the cedar just cutting through. It surrounds the palate nicely and finishes upon a gentle hop bitterness. Quite crisp and dry throughout, but still as satisfying.

Mouthfeel was light to medium-bodied with adequate amounts of carbonation on the inner cheeks and tongue. Drinkability was quite good.. the cedar puts the whole taste experience on another level that I've never had before. I had to refill my glass after completing my first- the flavors were very intriguing. Never thought cedar would work well with an IPA until this CC beer. Prost!

09-18-2010 07:40:11 | More by infi
MenloBeer

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a big beer mug.

A: Hazy, amber-orange. Lots of lace on the a big head that died down but stayed alive throughout the session.

S: The cedar aging is present, but the grapefruit comes across immediately. Hops, too, but that grapefruit just would not quit.

T: The cedar was evident, but like the smell, the grapefruit jumped out and demanded respect. Not as bitter an IPA like I am used to from my west coast brews, but bitter nonetheless. Not a lot of sweetness, a touch of spice.

M: Well carbonated, and very nice. Not sticky on the tongue, and not watery in any way. Well done on this front.

D: I like this IPA because it doesn't hit me over the head with hops. So many IPAs today just attack your mouth. This one is drinkable, but the grapefruit can be a little overpowering after a while. I like grapefruit, so plus one for me. Alcohol taste is masked well, so I could quaff this one without too much trouble.

I was glad to try this beer. Have been following their blog for awhile, and was curious to try their brews. A good beer, and unique in application. I will be looking to forward to more from Cigar City down the road.

06-08-2010 02:18:34 | More by MenloBeer
CrellMoset

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

750 mL bottle from Kingdom Liquors in Brandon, FL. Great folks - stop by if you can. Poured in to a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a hazy and honestly slightly unattractive hue, sort of a dull, brownish goldenrod, absolutely opaque either by virtue of a high hop content or the wood addition. Most notable about this beer is the high quantity of effervescence. Racing and streaming upwards, multiple streams of large bubbles zip towards an eggshell-colored head, initially one finger tall, though it ultimately fades down to a thick, uniform surface foam. Average retention kept it aloft for longer than expected, and the plentiful carbonation does a lot to maintain a thick foamy collar. The lacing on the sides of the glass is similarly foamy, thick, sudsy, and itself showcases some average though not exemplary stick.

Aroma: Much woodier than the taste ... almost one-dimensionally woody, in some ways. Cedar absolutely dominates the olfactory landscape here, slightly woody, very resinous, and very spicy. Slight citrus and slight (faintly woody, even) roast meld to suggest caramel orange, though this nose is mostly dominated by freshly cracked, Spanish cedar.

Taste: An interesting interplay. First, the IPA here is every bit of what I remember from the original Jai Alai, and that's a huge plus in this beer's favor - start with a shitty base beer, and you're nowhere; start with a great one, and you have a lot of wiggle room, regardless of what you do with your final product. The base beer here showcases a nice balance between sweet malt sugars and attenuated malt remnants, mildly roasted, with lots of caramelly toast notes, a dry biscuity cracker-like undertone, and some nice rustic, wholesome bread notes. The hop bitterness is moderate - just enough to balance the aforementioned residual sweetness - and the hop flavors robust, with tons of leafy tobacco, mint, heavy citrus (mostly heavy in a dull, buried sense, not in a "grapefruit and not lemon" sense), and juniper berry-esque pine notes. And then there's the cedar.

Cedar is one of a few things that I think most beer drinkers (beer drinking novices?) likely know far better by aroma than by taste. I mean, you smell cedar trees, or you smell cedar smoke, or you smell cedar potpourri. You don't eat cedar trees. Until now. A definite woody note - slightly spicy, slightly earthy, slightly sweet, and definitely slightly resinous and piney - mingles expertly with both the hop bitterness as well as the hop flavor profile. Jai Alai seems like the perfect candidate for wood aging of this sort (there are a few other similarly profiled IPAs and DIPAs that come to mind that would also do wonders with a similar treatment), and the results seem to bear that out.

Mouthfeel: Plentiful carbonation in a body of average, medium thickness - perhaps a little thinner than the traditional Jai Alai, though not by much - but the excellent balance of attenuated and non-attenuated sugars with the effervescence gives rise to an even, smooth beer, one part creamy and two parts lift. The former augments the slight sweetness of the malt base and the woodiness of the cedar, whereas the latter augments the (admittedly more pronounced) hop bitterness, hop spiciness, and cedar kick. Take it down one notch (out of ten), and you'd be spot on.

Drinkability: Cigar City is a brewery I cannot really forgive myself for taking so long to get in to (a fact intricately tied up with my self-loathing over my inability to visit my family in Florida often enough). So dedicated to the craft, they're brewing not only expert traditional beers (Jai Alai), but pushing them farther and harder than many American craft breweries, and for that we should all be thankful (and this beer is but one of many, many examples). At 7.5%, the amount of flavor you have here is almost sinful, and any beer that can coax this much flavor out of so few ingredients deserves a recommendation.

11-25-2010 01:03:48 | More by CrellMoset
nhudson

Alabama

4.18/5  rDev +3%

Finally Cigar City is being distributed to Alabama and I would assume that this review would be the 1st review of said Cigar City beer sold in Alabama.

a: Golden/Yellow in color, very clear though still minimal hop haze (good thing) with a rocky white head that has pillows that wont go away.

s: The smell is amazingly complex. Cedar hits you up front with some Citrus and Earthy tones. Some vanilla is present, but only as the beer warms up. Not overly hoppy as I expected, you can still smell a good malt base.

t: A very well balanced IPA lies beneath this beer which serves as a great base. Taste up front is wood earthy notes, cedar. The back end is mostly citrus. I am very surprised how well the cedar goes with the hope here.

m: medium body seems really dry, which I like. The cedar just coats your mouth as you keep drinking.

d: Very great beer. One of the best wood aged IPA's out there IMHO. I could drink this again and soon.

Thanks again Cigar City for coming to our great state!

12-15-2010 22:59:36 | More by nhudson
RomaniIteDomum

4.18/5  rDev +3%

Upon pouring the beer produces a very fluffy off-white head. The head sticks around for some time until becoming a ring that produces some wonderful lacing.

The beer smells interesting. The hops and cedar both come out in the nose and prodce a light grapefruit smell.

There is an initial sweetness in the beer that is countered by the hops and cedar together. There is perceptable grapefruit, but the cedar and hops working in chorus are very interesting. At first it felt like I was slurping a beer from a humidor, but when the beer breathed a little it came together. I blame my overzealousness.

In the mouth it is nice and smooth, even creamy. The carbonation helps prepare your tongue for a nice hoppy kick.

Hell, yes this beer is drinkable. It is a very refreshing drink by the pool on a warm day. I see why this was released this time of year.

09-07-2009 22:33:46 | More by RomaniIteDomum
OddNotion

4.18/5  rDev +3%

My second visit with this great beer. Split a 750 with my girlfriend who also purchased this for me!

Appearance: Poured into my DFH Signature Glass. The other half poured into a Bell's conical pint glass.One and a half finger light tan pillowy head. Dark red mixed with a light brown color body. Her glass had the bottom of the bottle and poured a very cloudy lighter brown color, probably from the bottle conditioning.

Smell: Lots of cedar in the nose, it is a very distinct spicy wood flavor. It goes very well with Jai Alai IPA, great choice for the wood to age it on.

Taste: The other bottle I had was fresher and better. The spiciness of the cedar melds perfectly with Jai Alai which is one of my favorite IPAs as it is. It is a very interesting mix and one that should be tried at some point by anyone who likes wood aged beers. The hops provide a citrusy and spicy undertone but the main player is the cedar.

Mouthfeel: Pretty active carbonation, medium to light body.

Overall: Good beer and worth trying. Won't be a regular but I would certianly recommend trying to to get an idea of how cedar effects a beer. As a homebrewer it gives me some good ideas.

04-02-2011 01:50:40 | More by OddNotion
devilben02

4.18/5  rDev +3%

Pours with a cloudy orange amber color beneath a fluffy off-white head. The aroma largely features fresh citric hops and an intriguing subtle woodiness from the cedar. The cedar pops out of the flavor at first, particularly in the finish, but it gradually blends into the prominent hop character. Honestly, I thought I was crazy, but it truly tasted just like fresh grapefruit juice to me after a while. This wonderful and interesting flavor combination, along with a pleasantly mouth-filling texture, made this one a truly enjoyable drinking experience.

01-03-2011 17:14:40 | More by devilben02
SDDanC

4.18/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to badboyrsl84 for this one. Poured from bottle into pint glass. Lots of head with this guy, about two fingers even with a very gentle pour. Completely murky, like an unfiltered wheat ale. The nose holds a distinct belgian aroma, like a saison, cedar, calm spices, no hops really. Tongue is amazing. Starts out much like the nose, belgian spice, then shifts quickly into the hops and then finishes with honey and cedar notes. It surely leaves a spicyness, much like a cigar would. Mouthfeel, I think is only mediocre. For being a bottle opened long before my turn, it still was reallly carbonated. But it accented to spicy characteristics of the cedar. Overall, very unique brew and I am quite pleased.

08-05-2011 05:38:25 | More by SDDanC
maxcoinage

4.18/5  rDev +3%

Poured 12oz bottle (no date) into tulip with a 2 in white head that took it's time to settle down, left some strong lacing on glass. Color is amber / orangish

Aroma - smells like a humidor! The cedar definitely dominates, some citrus and pine if you can get beyond the woodiness.

Taste - some good maltiness and hop bite but still the cedar shines through on this. the finish seems like it's a normal IPA bitter finish but then the cedar lingers at the end

Mouthfeel - medium to strong carbonation and a decent body. nice and easy drinking

Overall - While this is an intriguing twist, I prefer the regular Jai Alai. As suggested on the bottle, I think this would pair fansticially with a cigar, but given the 12 inches of snow on my porch, don't think that is going to happen any time soon. Would love to get some more of this later in the year. Got this bottle as an extra in a trade from velcogrip

01-01-2014 22:03:17 | More by maxcoinage