Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009

3.66/5  rDev -9.2%

Got this in a recent trade with my favorite trading buddy, fogdog. Thanks a ton Kevin! Can't wait to get my hands on some more Cigar City stuff!

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Very hazy caramel-colored body with a small white cap. Head looked a little fizzy at first, but quickly settled to a tight, sticky, halo. Great web-like lacing. Looks elegant.

Smell: Rich cedar, flowery hops, and pine. I also get some caramel and toffee-like undertones. Pretty mild on the whole, with cedar being the most prominent aroma.

Taste: Cedar and caramel are the most obvious flavors up front. Surprisingly, I'm tasting a lot of pilsner malt - not sure if they actually use that in the recipe though. Maybe that's the cedar barrels causing that flavor. The finish is very dry and piney with some solid bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light on the palate. Prickly, somewhat gritty, feel from the carbonation. Feels pilsner-y to an extent. As noted above, finishes dry and bitter.

Drinkability: This was my second time tasting this beer, and both times I haven't been too impressed. I like the idea, and I like the cedar, but this one just doesn't do it for me. Worth a try still.

3.66/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Momar42 for the 12 oz bottle! Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a hazy dark copper color with many yeast particles floating about. The head is a two finger white shade. Retention is fine, but the lacing left behind is great.

S: The cedar qualities here are downright shameless - to the point where they nearly overpower the trademark tropical fruit aromas of the regular Jai Alai. Honestly, though, it works in a strange way. Strong black pepper, smoke, and phenolic notes are prevalent, too.

T: Again, the word 'shameless' comes to mind when describing how the wood aging impacts the flavor profile. Citrusy hops exist as a secondary player behind the cedar, and create a minor effect of emphasizing notes of black pepper, pine, and smoke. One of the more complex IPAs I've ever had. It never balances fully - considering how much of the wood qualities come through, it's probably as balanced as it could ever be. The cedar harshness calms down after several swigs, too.

M: Like the base (Jai Alai), it's very dry yet unclean. The texture is light and crisp enough where I'd call it refreshing. Good ease of drinkability, as well.

O: I applaud the experimental bend of this brew, and it succeeds at a moderate level. It's quite tasty, but I think regular Jai Alai is just a smidge better.

3.65/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Certainly interesting, being aged on cedar. Pours like most any other Jai Alai with a smell of hops and faint cedar. As the brew warms up the cedar smell become not only more apparent but dominant. It helps bring out the citrus flavors and other bitters in the beer. It has a unique woodiness that I've never tasted before until this medium has come bearing the flavor. Cedar imparts its own bitterness as a very flavor altering aging ingredient. A must try.

3.65/5  rDev -9.4%

A - pours a clear light orange hue with minimal white foam. lacing practicly covers the glass. the second pour is surprising as it pours out a cloudy murky amber with some yellow highlights. 3 fingers worth of foam this time, though it quickly dissipates it still leaves the same amount of lacing.

S - nose has a lot of earthy, woody notes. lots of tropical fruit along with candied orange peels. as it warms the earthy notes come out more in the form of tobacco and hints of pine needles.

T - doughy malt profile up front. sweetness and bitterness blend together mid palate along with some tropical fruit flavors. more intense bitterness on the back end. finish is dry and piney.

M - medium bodied. slick texture with just a hint of creaminess.

O - nice beer. i do wish it was touch drier but the bottle conditioning really gives this beer life and body, i only wish i got around to drinking the bottle sooner. will get another bottle fresher to review.

3.64/5  rDev -9.7%

Thanks to glazeman for this one who got it as an extra from moose3285. A few quick comments about this tasty brew - the cedar aging in this definitely comes through in the nose, giving this beer a unique and wonderful smell. The taste is a bit boozy and perhaps a little too malty, but overall, this is a good beer - one I would certainly try again. In terms of mouthfeel, this beer was way too carbonated.

3.64/5  rDev -9.7%

Opened and it started gushing out of the top, smells slightly infected to me.

Pours a cloudy orange color with a HUGE white head and huge bubbles. Not characteristic for an ipa, or the one I had a few months ago.

Smells like cedar, hops, and I get a hint of gueuze and cherry. It kind of tastes like wild devil with cedar, which is not that bad.

Taste follows the smell. Tastes slightly like vinegar, and a little bit of cherry. Cedar on the end. Its actually not too bad.

Mouthfeel is full and carbonated.

Drinkability is alright. The sour flavors don't belong and its going to be a chore to get through the 750.

Not as bad as you'd think, but its infected for sure.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I think this is the correct beer. I couldn't match up the label on my beer to exactly what was on here. My cousin brought this back from the brewery, so big thanks to BudAssassin21 for this bottle.

750 mL poured into a tulip.

A - Pours a copperish/amber color with about a finger width of head (or more depending on how you pour it). The head is pillowy, and soft, and leaves nice lacing on the glass.

S - This thing smells like a lumber yard. The cedar is overpowering. There may be some hints of earth..like freshly tilled earth, but not much else. Maybe some orange peel...

T - Kind of follows the nose...it's like I'm gnawing on wood in the lumber aisle at home depot. Cedar just overpowers all other aspects of the beer. I don't even know what I'd pair with this.

M - Medium body with lots of carbonation. My tongue is prickly before I even get the beer to the back of my pallet....palate, whatever.

D - It's kind of harsh. I'll finish the 750 mL, but I kind of wish I had someone else to share this with.

3.61/5  rDev -10.4%

A- Some lacing, pours a nice amber color.

S- Strong cedar, but not overpowering. Slight alcohol burn, but not much and it is pleasing with the wood character.

T- Hops up front, citrus and sweet fruit. Then caramel malts, blending into a nice smooth hop bitterness.

M- Medium body with tiny bubbles makes for a great mouth feel in this experimental beer.

O- This is my favorite cigar city beer. The base IPA is great, but aged on cedar makes it a nice occasional treat.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to jedwards for sharing. 750ml capped bottle served in a tulip. Pours a hazy, burnished, burnt orange with a frothy, bubbly white head that quickly dissipates, but is revived with a swirl of the glass. Cedar wood dominates the nose (definitely has that humidor smell), with some citrus following. Cedar is more subdued in the flavor profile - cork, citric acid and grapefruit are also revealed. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body, with a lively, semi-dry finish. An interesting and decent brew; however the cedar is a bit overwhelming.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed this brew with scoobydank while watching the Twins not long ago and thought tonight seemed like a good reason to drink the 2nd one. The regular version was tasty but I know what Cigar City's cedar treatments do to beer. Dominate. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale flute.

Appearance- Murky orange with a beautifully full two finger off white head that's rich and fluffy. A great cap and collar is maintained the entire beer along with a fair amount of thick lacing.
Smell- Holy balls, smells like this thing is LOADED with black pepper. Seriously, pure black pepper. Hints of orange peel and grapefruit peak in but play second fiddle to the cedar. I'm just amazed at how spicy this brew smells.
Taste- The IPA has been very much taken over by the cedar. It's full of spicy black pepper from the wood but the beer really isn't overly "woody". A bit of pineapple and orange mix in adding some fruitiness. Not overly hoppy but it is fruity at times but I can't get past the freaking black pepper. The finish is somewhat dry and spicy.
Mouthfeel- Great body as the beer is somewhere around medium bodied with a light zip of carbonation.
Drinkability- This is my second time around trying this beer and I definitely enjoyed it a bit more than the first (of course it was after we drank a '06 BA Speedway). The nose smells exactly how I remember but the taste seems a bit hoppier and fruitier than I remember. I'm still not a huge fan of Cedar but I'll keep trying em' if people keep making em.

3.6/5  rDev -10.7%

750ml into tulip. Thanks to TheSevenDuffs.

A- Cloudy burnt orange/peach colored pour. Two finger eggshell head that quickly disappears leaving a thin cap. Lacing is spotty.

S- Very first thing is the cedar. Humidor, ceder chest or even those cedar pucks people put in their sock drawer. Floral hops with a sweet citrus note fall short. As per Marcus this isn't a very fresh bottle.

T- Floral hop bite with aromatic cedar following close behind. There is a sweet malt and juicy citrus before the cedar comes back and dries your mouth out.

M- Medium bodied, juicy up front long dry finish.

O- Cedar while wonderful to smell isnt my first thought for a wood aged beer. It's different to say the least. Not for the good or bad. Just different.

3.59/5  rDev -10.9%

Thanks Ftown for sharing. Murky light iced tea color. Godd head. Lots of peppery spice and sharp citrus. Cedar is soft in the back. Taste is a bit more subtle but good spice and citrus. Average bitterness. Moderate malt to balance. Good body and drinks decently.

3.59/5  rDev -10.9%

This is one of the most unique cask beers I think I have had the chance to try. I had a 10oz half pint at cask temp.

A - The color is a murky hazed (due to lack of cask finings) color of apricot with smallish head of cream

S - The smell is a strange but pleasant blend of piney hops and cedary woodiness w/ a light fruit ester

M - The mouthfeel is intensely hopped upfront with a astringent/resinous cedar bark texture which leaves the palate dry - medium body, a bit on the thin side of 7.5%

T - The taste is good, but not great as the hops are sligthly overpowered by the cedar, there is a nice Ipa flavor with mild fruit and subtle citrus of the hops, but it seems like they just went overboard with the cedar to prove to you that this is Really REALLY a cedar beer and IPA second. I love the experimentation, but when in balance with the total beer in mind

D - I will sum up here with a good, but not great along the lines of the taste portion of the review. I could probably only handle a 1/2 pint to be honest. I like the way cedar smells and Jai Alai is a decent IPA, but the combination seems to detract slightly for me rather enhance the drinking experience -just my .02

Tulip from a 750

How do you rate a beer that is very interesting, but not necessarily in a gustatively pleasing or coherent way? In a nutshell I feel like this was a bold try that didn't quite work. I'm glad they tried it and I'm glad I tried it but having noted and appreciated its unique impact, I would not buy it again. It's a thinker.

A - Cloudy dark orange with a bright white head that dies down but keeps replenishing itself for a while. Tons of lacing. I kind of don't care how a beer looks and don't really care about style guidelines, but in trying to be a team player I was about to rate this down because it was cloudy and I didn't feel like it should be. But I just read the BJCP guidelines for the style, which said in part, "Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy." As this is unfiltered and bottle fermented, let's don't rate down its appearance for that. Nice color, nice head, nice bubble action.

S - Sharp cedar mixed with fresh citrus mixed with malty caramel sweet. The cedar comes across initially spicy, which is welcome until the cedarness of it kicks in. I can't help but be reminded of the cedar shavings in my elementary school gerbil cage, which was usually mixed with gerbil pee smell, which is an (admittedly subjective) association I don't want to get from a beer. Yet at the same time there is something sort of refined about it, reminding me of a cigar humidor as the series name implies. These three aroma notes aren't bad but don't quite come together harmoniously for me. I bet a different wood would do better here. I'd like to try oak, maybe in the form of a cognac barrel. Citrus + caramel + oak-aged cognac would be like a cognac long drink. You're welcome.

T - The cedar dominates the taste and the aftertaste. Everything else is happening beneath that. It's hard to consider those things without the cedar note because it refuses to yield center stage even for a moment. Late in the 750 I'm getting substantial booze breath, like when you wake up the next day after a college keg party for an 8-o'clock class and are still exhaling straight alcohol and people are like damn, what did you get up to last night? The guy two reviews ago mentions grapefruit. Interesting, I can kind of see what he means now. The combination of processed grain alcohol breath with cedar does kind of combine to form a grapefruit effect. Feels a little like gin and tonic breath, which is on the border between maturely refined and Oh No I'm An Alcoholic.

M - Smooth and soft. At first it was ending a little sticky, but towards the end, I guess having stripped all the native mucus away, it was ending with a hint of that dry tongue abrasion, sort of like you'd licked a block of cedar. The last reviewer mentioned that his foamed over when he opened it. While mine was well carbonated and had lots of action in the glass to keep replenishing the head for a while (then dying out), mine did not foam over upon opening like his, so maybe that was an anomaly.

O - My whole goal of beer exploring is to find interesting beers, and in that respect this one really delivers. I've never had anything like this and I say it's worth your while to try it. Yet while interesting and different and memorable, this beer tells me I don't want beer aged on cedar. It still manages to be pretty decent aside from the cedar, so I'll want to track down their un-aged Jai Alai. I bet it's nice. I feel like if I hadn't had that gerbil cage for all those years, cedar would make a different and better impression on me, because its spice notes add a really interesting layer of complexity and exciting flavor. It kind of makes you want food or a sauce flavored with those initial spicy notes, like maybe a curry. Hop on that, India, and call me when you've got something. Cedar-smoked lamb korma curry. There it is.

My smell, taste, and overall scores represent the average between how much I appreciate the originality of the attempt and how not-quite-right I perceive the result. If there were an originality category I'd give them a 5.

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

A - Poured out a clear, orange color with golden highlights. It had a small, white head of foam that left some nice rings of lace.

S - It smelled of cedar and citrus - mostly orange. There are some hidden notes of caramel, too.

T - Lots of spicy flavor and lots of cedar flavor, maybe too much cedar. The caramel and malt is mild and sweet.

M - Very crisp and sharp. A smooth finishing ale that is medium bodied.

D - I've only had a handful of cedar aged beers, but this one was a little too strong on the cedar.

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

Picked up a bottle of this on the cheap at whole foods in plymouth meeting, poured into a Penn Pilsner pint glass.

Jai Alai cedar pours out the standard orangeish infused with light red color and some creamy egg colored foam on top, small lacing. Smells like Jai Alai, I guess the cedar really is not all that prevalent. The wood is there, it just does not break through the east coast malt build. Some small citrus in the nose with grapefruit, I guess the hops died down when this was aging on the cedar. It tastes like Jai Alai as well, I thought I was drinking the regular version because the wood is not big. Grapefruit and a dash of pine with minimal wood. Feel is medium and bulky, drinkability is hindered, not a huge fan off this. They should do a double cedar aged version of this

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

Thanks to kbutler1 for bringing this treat back from CC.

Pours a golden color with a hazy cloudy body. The the head is thin and bubbly, looks inviting.

Lot's of cedar going on here, it's a very original smelling IPA. Tangerine, citrus and other hoppy notes.

Bitter with some woody notes, must be the cedar. Tons of cedar, not much malt present. Lots of cirtrusy hops, maybe some grapefruit as well. This is a very original IPA, that's for sure.

Medium carbonation, bitterness lingers in the tongue.

This beer was great to try, but I found it to be lacking in the drinkability department.

3.57/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 750 mL bottle into shaker pint glass.
A: Pours a clear golden color with 1 inch bubbly white head. Decent retention. Faint lace.
S: Nice cedar and hops. Pine and pineapple notes. Hint of guava and black pepper. Fresh and pleasant.
T: Holy hops! Cedar is still present, but not as nicely balanced as in the aroma. I'm sure there's more there, but the hop bomb obliterates everything else.
M: Very bitter from the overpowering hops. Light body. Slightly oily feel.
D: I'm a little over half-way through a pint of this one and having difficulty continuing. This started out promising, but took a nose-dive. Although I'd still say this is above average overall, I wouldn't recommend it. Don't go out of your way for this one.

3.57/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Jai alai cedar.  Turbid, hazy copper color.  Sweet fruity smell, with a bit of booze as well.  Metallic hop flavor, mild on the metal.  If I really try to, I can taste the cedar. Heavy on the hop bitterness, heavy on the malts, but the malt clearly takes a backseat. Not sure what hops were used but they are very bitter. Wish there was a stronger aroma hop presence. For the amount of flavor here, not as drinkable as it should be...too high abv.

Addendum: I just sipped the dregs, not sure why, but it was painfully hoppy. Was this dry hopped?

3.56/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received a bottle in a trade with Keifdog.

Preface: I decided to drink this in a cigar store (which boasts one of the largest walk in humidor's in the state, so lots of cedar smells already) with a cigar (Rocky Patel Sungrown).

Appearance: Poured slightly cloudy copper with a huge head (maybe four fingers) with great retention and lacing.

Smell: Citrusy/piney hop metallic and the more I drink the more I smell the cedar.

Taste: Malty and citrusy with cedar prominent in the after taste. Moderate hopiness. The cedar is not a bad flavor, just different but I don't think the cedar adds to the beer. I've had the regular Jai Alai IPA and given the choice, I would order the regular Jai Alai every time. However, the cedar did add an interesting complexity in the cigar shop which was already cedar smelly in its own right.

Mouthfeel: Moderate to heavy carbonation. Pretty refreshing on a warm day.

Drinkability: Somewhere between a gulper and a sipper. Medium body.

3.56/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Straight pour from a 12oz pry-off bottle to a teku; bottling date of November 7, 2013 printed in some sort of dark-ish ink on the shoulder of the bottle (“Bottled on 11/07/13”), making this bottle a week old on the date of consumption. Yep, one week. Huzzah for freshness.

Appearance (4.25): Sure is an attractive beer: a good two fingers milk-white foam rises off of the pour, capping a rich orange-amber body with a moderate chill haze. The head shows decent retention, dying down relatively slowly and leaving a thick collar and thin film at the surface. A few nice splotches and thick legs here and there.

Smell (3.25): This is quiiite a unique aroma—honestly not sure what to make of it at first. Must be the cedar? There’s an herbal-spicy scent that’s almost sulfurous, but a little woody and spicy like mustard, almost (though that side of it is lighter). Some fruity, slightly resinous hops underneath it, but the aroma really is dominated by what must be the cedar. To be fair, the fruity hops come in to balance out the cedar a bit more as it warms.

Taste (3.5): Following the aroma at first, with that funky, at turns sulfurous cedar, but the hops character is much clearer and more prominent here: that weird, woody-botanical tang accompanied by a bit of spiciness, sitting next to a juicy citrus component with sweet red grapefruit, some of the melony richness of papaya, and then a moderately sharp red grapefruit bitterness in the close, as the beer finishes crisp and dry. Some of the slightly spicy, woody-botanical cedar character (which I recognize now is unmistakeable) permeates every aspect of the flavor, from start to finish. Is there malt in here? Yeah, I suppose so. A little rich peasant bread and toasted wheat bread underneath the hops and melding with the cedar. Certainly is unique.

Mouthfeel (4.25): Smooth bodied, a slightly oily just-under-medium-weight, with a moderately velvety carbonation that foams easily but subtly, dies out before too long, and washes down cleanly with a dry, but not parching or astringent, finish. No booze at all.

Overall (3.5): So, the base beer here is killer—Jai Alai is always on point and an absolute joy to drink. The cedar aging adds a very unique dimension to it, though, which is impossible to ignore because it is front and center. It also mutes/covers up some of the hoppiness that makes Jai Alai so damn good, too, but not entirely. So, basically, in the end what you have here is a very solid IPA with an extremely unique treatment that has the potential to be very polarizing. I’m on the fence about how I feel about it, in the end, but I’m glad I’ve tried it. In the future, though, I’ll probably just stick to Jai Alai.

3.56/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours a cloudy amber in color. Nice inch of frothy head forms on the pour.
Smell is spicy hops, just a hint of cedar. Taste is a nice balance between the hop flavors and the cedar. There's not as much cedar in this beer as I was expecting. The 100k + OT #2 had a lot more cedar in the flavor.
Medium to full on the mouthfeel. Very easy drinking beer that you could easily drink a bunch of. Would have loved to try this on draft.

3.55/5  rDev -11.9%

A: cloudy as hell, amber orange with an enormous pillowy head, rocky peaks all over the place. it literally doesnt move if its left untouched. theres legs and patches of fluff all over the sides of the glass.
S: kind of smells like pineapple and possibly raw fruit. theres also some spice aspect, seems like cloves that youd stick in an orange for an air freshener. im not sure i really enjoy the way it smells altogether, but its different for sure.
T: again almosy a mildewy pineapple. its got a weird prominent flavor that i cant really pinpoint, but im leaning towards charbroiled pineapple. these flavors are kind of a headscratcher.
M: this thing has huge amounts of carbonation, and it really pricks the tongue and palate rather viciously. something about this just rubs me the wrong way.
D: im ok with this on my first glass, but interested to see how i feel in a little while. overall im not really sold on this one.

3.54/5  rDev -12.2%

750 bottle. Poured into chalice sort of glass. Poured an orange, marmalde color. Translucent, a bit murky. Nice head. Good looking. Musty hop aroma. Dirty hop water. Woody? Sharp bitterness up front and then sparkling sweet malt flavor covering my tongue. Definitly a wood quality in the flavor, dank. Smoothish, some zest. Overall pretty drinkable. The flavor and mouthfeel work well. Aroma needs some work.

3.54/5  rDev -12.2%

Very nice extra from HeyOhhh...thanks!

Pours the color of blood orange juice with slight haze and a really gorgeous orangey-white head of about one inch. Very soft with amazing retention and abundant lacing. If clarity bothered me, I'd give this a 4.5, but I really can't understand scoring it less than that. Exceptional is right!

Smell is...well....it is what it is. Ever jammed your face into an empty cigar box? Yep, that's exactly what it smells like. Pure, unadulterated cedar. Very light biscuity malt sweetness and a little bit of sweet citrus. The non-cedar elements are definitely overpowered by the wood. I happen to love the smell of cedar; in fact, it's one of my favorite smells. This is a bit too much, but I rather like it.

Thankfully, the flavor is not quite as out of balance as the aroma, but it's pretty close. Cedar is certainly the most prominent flavor here, but there is also a nice underlying grapefruit-peel bitterness. Not as sweet as the regular Jai Alai. In fact, nowhere on the bottle is Jai Alai mentioned. Biscuity malts. Dry finish. Not entirely complex, thanks to the prominence of the cedar.

Lots of really active carbonation on the tongue, though not uncomfortably so. Medium bodied, and lightly astringent. Very oily, the flavor sticks around in your mouth for ages.

This is a pretty tasty beer, especially for big fans of cedar such as myself. That said, the 750 was a bit of a chore after a while. So much cedar. I feel as though cedar could certainly contribute in a very positive way to a beer, but this is too much.
Sorry Cigar City.