Microbrew Invitational

Style: American IPA

Added by tpd975 on 05-26-2009

Reviews: 449 | Ratings: 925
4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured into a Victory HopDevil Nonic. Heavy blanket of slightly off white head. Solid orange body with a little haze. Alcohol lacing and legs are both nice. Head retention is really good as well.

Woah...right up front is a strong cedar smell, which carries all the way through. If you've ever opened up a cedar chest or cigar box then you will pick up this smell right away. The hops are sitting right behind the cedar. Hops have a piney citrus/orange aroma, faint grapefruit. Not sure how fresh this bottle is but I would love to smell how the hops interact with this one fresh. Sweet malty/bready aromas come in at the middle.

Cedar hits right upfront, just like in the aroma. The cedar flavor rises up to the roof of the mouth. A good amount of bitterness from the middle to end and the palate drys out nicely in the finish. Grapefruit and pine come in quickly but also leave rather quick...grapefruit lingers on a little bit longer. The cedar is definitely the star of the show but isn't so overwhelming that this isn't enjoyable. I find this one to be fairly drinkable.

Unlike any IPA I've ever had, but then again adding cedar during fermantation is something probably only Cigar City does. Another stellar/interesting beer by this brewery!

[97/100]

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

750 mL champagne bottle into shaker. Pours a slightly hazy deep amber with a two-three finger tan, rocky head that has excellent retention and leaves sheets of fluffy lacing. Pouring it until the end of the bottle comes the yeast in suspension and clouds the bottle to an almost opaque orange. Aroma is enormous grapefruit hops along with- no joke- a Montecristo No. 2 cedar cigar box...incredible. Taste is grapefruit juice with massive citrus hops and beautiful cedar in the background. As it warms more cedar and caramel notes show through. The cedar is such a perfect addition. Not only original but it works so well. The spicy hops and spicy cedar flavors blend perfectly but the beer is still creamy and refreshing all the same. What a treat.

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

I believe this is my first beer from Florida. I hope I've picked a good one—certainly a cedar-aged IPA sounds great. The only other I've had is Kiuchi's Hitachino Nest Japanese Classic Ale, one of my very favourite beers.

This one pours pleasantly hazed and deep orange, with an enormous and frothy head of white-sand coloured foam. Lacing is magnificently anarchic. Body has a little weight behind it, but otherwise looks pretty fluid. Pretty gorgeous looking brew.

Nose is just phenomenal. Beautifully blended sharp, resiny cedar character realised with citric hops giving touches of lemon and underripe peach. The wood is the main event, but the cedar is such a lovely sharp (almost "hoppy") character that it's like just another extremely aromatic and fragrant hop variety itself. On top of this, the sheer strength of it is phenomenal.

Taste is a lot milder—the basis of malt is noticeable here, giving it a smoothness and a slight underlying caramel note. There are still hops, but not a lot of bitterness, just a cleansing vector through the centre. In some senses, it feels a little underhopped on the palate, just because the cedar gives such a powerful punch of resin and bite on the nose that you expect more.

Wow. There's no denying that this is a really, really lovely, refreshing and exceptionally drinkable brew. The characters are extremely intense, but they give such a lovely heady flavour and aroma to the brew.

Oh yes, I picked a good first Floridan beer. This is a sensational brew, and one that gives the JCA (remember, one of my favourite beers) a run for its money.

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

750mL bottle courtesy of jdubfl poured into a tulip.

Pours a deep, hazy brownish orange with a big creamy white head that shows fantastic retention and remains a one-inch head for the duration. Lacing is impressive as well with sheets of sticky lace all the way down.

The aroma is not too different from the original Jai Alai with a dominant fruity citrus aroma with hints of pine and a nice caramel sweetness as well. The cedar is definitely present but not overpowering at all.

The taste is where the cedar comes out a bit more. There's lots of juicy citrus up front but it gives way to a healthy caramel malt sweetness and a more prevalent spicy wood presence which lingers through the finish with a healthy dose of resinous hops.

The mouthfeel is pretty full bodied and very sticky with hop juice. There is an interesting spiciness from the cedar as well which makes the mouthfeel more unique than most IPAs.

This is a very impressive beer from Cigar City and I think it's better than the original, as the cedar really smooths things out and lends an earthiness to things. I'm not normally a fan of wood-aged IPAs, but this one really surprised me. Well done and one of the better IPAs I've tasted in recent memory.

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Quite a few reviews for this beer from, aparently, the same firkin. All bad. Too bad for them. I found this beer to be pretty good looking kinda orangey-gold with a nice medium length lasting creamy head. I wasn't provided with any lace, and not great retention, but I am at work, and I know that the sanitizer probably has an effect. I really enjoy the woody fruity earthy grapefruity aroma. the ceder seems to me to be REALLY well integrated. I often think that beers that have seen wood would have been better without...like it's an extra un-needed ingredient, tossed in because someone thought that we would think it's cool...even though the beer was great already. I don't think that more is always better. I think the ceder is great, it works. I find balance in the bitter, wood, fruit, and earth...with a bare touch of malt sweetness. Nice smooth creaminess on my palate with carbonation that really seems appropriate. I like it. I would gladly drink it again. CHEERS

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

This is quite well carbonated as a soft pour produces a three-finger thick, lightly tan colored head. The beer is a nice red-amber hue that shows a slight haze and a red-copper hue to it when held up to the light. As I pour this aromas of bright tangelo and ripe-sweet ruby-red grapefruit are noticeable, but a closer inspection yields the spicy, woody, characteristic cedar character. The cedar actually mixes very well with the ample hop character; both are here in an equal amount too. The cedar serves as the balance that ample hop-pine character and it actually accentuates the pine notes in the nose. The cedar, just really works here, it is almost hop like in its herbaceous spiciness.

Served at around 60*F at first, as it first hits my tongue it feels a lot lighter than I was expecting for some reason; quaffable with a light-medium body and a certain viscous heft, but well within the drinkable limits that I like my IPAs to be in. The cedar is definitely noticeable, but, as in the nose, is played masterfully here such that it integrates within the flavor profile of this IPA like some new, exotic hop would. The hop character in this beer contributes flavors of tangerine, bright orange oil, kumquat, herbaceous pine, ample lychee, apricot and a certain "dankness" that is mightily accentuated by the cedar notes. This finishes with a biting bitterness that is accentuated by an almost astringent character from the cedar and green hop character. It is interesting how the essential oils from the cedar mimics some of the more dank and herbaceous notes that can be found in hops.

Wow, this is really nice, I wasn't really sure what to expect from this beer, but this has definitely been a surprise and in the best way possible. The cedar is more prominent in the aroma than it is in the flavor, which actually is what I want from this beer (even though I didn't know what to expect coming into this beer). Very nice, extremely tasty and in the end it is the incredible balance between the hops, cedar and supporting malt that makes this beer so good. Well, said another way the use of cedar here is just so well done, so well integrated with the base beer, and the base beer really seems like a very well made IPA in its own right.

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Grabbed a couple bottles of this while at the Hunahpu release and brought them back to the great white north of Minnesota. Recently cracked open a bottle at a tasting.
Pours a golden hued color with a slight haze to it. The head is tan.
The cedar smell is extremely prevalent in this! also pick up notes of tangerine with a sweet and bitter smell.
The taste is exactly like the smell. You get a full mouth of cedar that transitions to the IPA flavor.
The mouthfeel is medium.
The only reason I gave it a 4 on drinkability is because the cedar gets a little much after a while. Great in small doses but probably tough to drink a lot of it at once.

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

I brought this home from the Cigar City taproom, $9.99 (but I saw it 10 minutes later at Whole Foods in Tampa for $7.99!). This was much much more enjoyable than the standard Jai Alai, a beer that was OK but not as memorable as the cedar aged version.

This was copper colored and hazy, very opaque as compared with standard Jai Alai. Thick spitty head with a little lacing, not much. The aroma is kick-ass, definitely strong cedar although at first I'd have said pepper. I get the hops in the smell but it's definitely masked by the cedar.

The beer tastes spicy and a little citrusy, surprisingly light hops bite given the flavor of the base beer. Peppery and woody, really tasty. The body is maybe a little creamier or less carbonated than normal Jai Alai, but I didn't try them side-by-side. Definitely recommended, delicious beer.

750ml bottle at ginos in Tampa
poured a nice orange color with a lot of foam. Nice pacing and small head stuck around.
Smell was similar to jai alai but more subtle. Citrusy but didn't have the pop of regular ipa. Taste of pine citrus and just a bit mellow for what I was anticipating, the cedar must mute some of the hops. Not a bad thing just after jai alai was expecting major hop pop on tongue. Medium mouthfeel for ipa with nice aftertaste. Overall great job again by cigar city! I was just expecting more reading they just aged jai alai in Spanish cedar and after paying 15$ for 22oz. Glad I did, but know that your better off saving some ding and sticking with the reggie jai alai!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml poured into frosted pint glass. No freshness date on bottle unfortunately.

Unfortunate to see the bad ratings from the cask up in PA, had to be infected or something. I really think you guys should make a trade for a 750ml because (un-infected) it really is a solid IPA.

Pours a light moderately transluscent woody amber color. Head is 3 finger widths and simmers down to a thin layer within a few minutes. Lacing layers the glass all the way down, sexy shit.

Smells of piney citric hops, hops are really the most dominant aromatic. In the background you can pick up woody cedar notes and fruity (orange citrus) scents.

Tasting it corresponds very well with the nose. Piney hop bitterness bite up front that dances with a fruity malty goodness midway through. Also, a peppery spice note peaks it head out and says "hello" real quick before the cedar comes in. The cedar aging really shines through in the aftertaste & the sweet malt accumulates on the back of my tongue.

Picked this 750ml up for $9.99 at Total Wine & More. Good buy, well worth the investment.

Overall, I think this is a really solid IPA - probably the best I have had to date. The cedar wood aftertaste is a superb compliment to the bittering bite upfront! Excellent!

I have to say, I actually prefer this bottle sample vs. the pint I had at the brewery. The pint at the brewery taproom seemed to be dominated by cedar, where this IPA out of the bottle is more balanced.

Drank striaght out of a 22oz bottle on a train ride to nyc

Aweseome presentation in the bottle, unique looking label. Nice deep hop notes back by a slight maltiness, very little citrus notes as are seen in other ipas. Drinks smooth and light with a great depth of flavor.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours thick, with a half-glass full of off white head over a hazy amber body. Head fades to a thick, foamy film. Tons of lacing.

Aromas of resiny pine, plenty of cedar, and plenty of sweet caramel maltiness. You can just smell that they put some serious work into this one.

Flavor is terrific - aromas all carry over, with a good smoky quality layered on top. Hop forward and really close to DIPA world.

Pretty darn creamy up front on the palate, with a sharp bite in the finish.

I housed this puppy with a quickness... you've been warned.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into Dark Horse Brewery pint glass.

It pours a soapy head that diminishes to a beautiful lacing with loads of sediment that suspends perfectly and a few bubbles of carbonation sneaking through. I smell straight up cedar and mild hops. Breathing in while taking the first sip reminds me of my cigar smoking days. The unmistakeable cedar smell and taste gives me a beer boner. What a unique and balancing marriage of flavors. Mouthfeel is a nice and thick but unexpected hearty gulping beer. It's hard to not chug this. Ultimately I want these all day long. I have a theory on people that create art, as this beer clearly is, and that is: weather or not you have direction what you do passionately the only thing that comes out is something not of choice but something that is pure. This is a solid ass beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle received about 6 weeks ago in a trade with a generous BA thanks!

Appearance: Fairly clear orange sunburst with honey folds and a 3 finger off white crown that shows lots of lace and retention.

Smell: Loads of character here. Good floral and herbal hop notes crash into a sophisticated and sexy cedar chip humidor like quality. Tobacco comes to mind but only associatively, it is the cedar chips triggering that more than anything.

Taste: Not as pungent as the nose, but again a seemless blend of hops and cedar. I'm really impressed by the combination.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and well carbonated. A touch too crisp for my liking.

Drinkability: Nice flavor profile, crisp mouthfeel, and an abv below 8% makes this brew score well in the drinkability department.

750ml bottle

A- 750ml bottle poured into a snifter. Pours a dark hazy amber color with a huge off-white head that provides amazing retention and lacing. Cigar City sure knows how to make fantastic looking brews in the glass!

S- The aroma is a bit of malt with a good dose of fresh citrusy hops. There is also a very small presence from the cedar. It is subtle, but it goes awesome with the beer.

T- The taste like the aroma has a small malt backbone that quickly gives way to an explosion of bitter hop flavors in the finish. Like the aroma, the subtle cedar notes are very well placed.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a perfect amount of carbonation.

D- Cigar City has done it again with another fabulous beer! I was a huge fan of the regular Jai Alai on tap so I was very excited to hear that they were releasing a Cedar Aged version. It was well worth the wait, what a fantastic beer! Highly Recommended!

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a 750 into a belgian beer goblet. Beer pours a delightful tan with one finger head which recedes into a patchy lace. Smells of cedar, caramel, and aged hops. Tastes of cedar almost like an old cedar chest that is warm and inviting. Followed by caramel and almost the slightest touch of a cigar. Later after the pour I enjoyed this beer with a mellow cigar and the two paired perfectly. The mouthfeel is good, nicely carbonated and a bit drying at the finish which comes to be very enjoyable and has me anticipating it in every sip. Overall I like this beer and find it to be a comforting, sit down and relax brew. As I have only had oak aged ipa's before this, and this beer is right up my alley. Many who enjoy wood aged ipa's will enjoy this beer quite a bit. First I've had of cigar city's beers and it is a winner.

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

Got this one from the Whole Foods located behind the brewery when I was in Tampa less than a month ago. Here we go...

A- Poured from the wonderful 750 ml. bottle into my Cigar City pint glass. Pours yellow/orange with a slight haze to it. Head starts off strong and dissipates quickly.
S- Not much in this department. Normal, I suppose.
T- The best part! At first, you get a great citrus flavor similar to grapefruit. Very nice balance, not overwhelmed with bitterness. I really enjoy the flavors. When you thought you were done the cedar kicks into a smooth finish.
Nice!
M- I might have ranted too much in the Taste department, but well balanced and perfect carbonation.
D- I wish we could get this in Panama City. Maybe one day.

-Bye

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours orange, with some floaties in it, but mostly very clear. Nice white head with lots of lacing.
Smells intense. Cedar wood complements the huge citrus aroma and even enhances it. Some tropical fruit and pine as well.
Tastes of citrus, tropical fruits, and pine. A touch of sweet malt, but mostly hidden beneath the hops. The cedar once again enhances the citrus. The wood aging really works so well here.

Might be my favorite treatment of this beer. Fantastic. Wish it was available more often.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured from bomber bottle into tulip. Slight head, nice lacing.
Smells of dominating cedar...hops and a citrus aroma.
Taste is a copy of the smell...
Cedar is a dominant flavor. Hops, bitter and citrus.
Overall, its a very unique brew. The cedar really makes this brew outstanding and different. Usually, in my opinion, brewers try something strange and its hit or miss, but CC hit this out of the park. The cedar is so well balanced with the bitter hops that it seems like a natural pairing.
Great beer.

From 750mL bottle to Bruge hybrid glass on 3/12/11
*From notes

A BIG thanks goes out to an awesome trader for this one - UMCaner74. Cheers, Dave!

A: Cloudy, murky and dirty sweet tea in color. A huge 2+ finger head hits the glass on an everyday pour. A big foamy head and ridiculous lacing lingers.

S: Complex - slight cane sugar and black liquorice at first whiff. Bold, humid wood and freshly rolled smoke follow. It all adds up to one hell of a bouquet.

T: Holy Jai-Alai Batman! What a brew - it's so completely different and way outside of the (cigar) box. It's like drinking a medium-full Cuban Cohiba. Close my eyes and I swear I'm sitting at an outdoor cafe in Havana enjoying a fresh, hot plate of Ropa Vieja.

It's smokey, hoppy, robust and it hits the palate like a freight train. From beginning to end, this is one really bullied my tastebuds.

M: The heaviest AIPA in recent memory. It's got weight to it like an Imperial.

O: CCB's unfiltered and bottle conditioned Humidor Series Jai-Alai is simply wonderful. My love affair with Joey Redner's suds contiues, and I'm literally counting the days until I can visit Mecca.

Add this one to your list of Cigar City must-haves.

*Paired with a bone-in, grass fed and mojito marinated pork chop.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Hazy amber with suspended particles, lots of them. IT has a fluffy light tan head with excellent retention and lacing.

S- Grapefruit and spicy cedar dominate the nose. The cedar also lends a delicate sweet aroma to the mix. A small amount of malt is detectable.

T- Grapefruit and citrus rind. The finish is long and shows excellent notes of cedar with a light malt presence. It's a spicy/woody treat.

M- Medium bodied with light carbonation. Silky, smooth, very easy going down.

O- The cedar does wonderful things when combined with an already wonderful IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

The colour is amber, the liquid is a bit cloudy. The large beige compact head slowly sinks down, leaving lots of lacing.

The smell is woody with distinct notes of cedar pencils. Some citric notes including a touch of lemon acid. Furniture polish in the background.

The taste is at first quite mild and smooth. Then, cedar tree and American bitter hops kicks in. Hints of polish and a fresh citric bitterness and a hint of sweet strong white wine. The aftertaste is elegant and polished with mild woody notes. Citric fruits in the finish.

The carbonation is strong, the small bubbles are fresh. The liquid is semi-smooth.

A very elegant end well crafted cask-matured beer; there are woody notes but it is still an IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a cloudy amber with a white head that slowly recedes to a thin layer and a healthy ring leaving some nice sticky lacing.

Aroma is very nice with some light citrus hop notes and lots of fresh wood with some hints of mustiness.

Taste starts off with some sweet citrus hops and moves on to lots of dry fresh wood and finishes with some bready malts.

Medium in body with a good amount of prickly carbonation. It's an interesting take on an IPA, the cedar really works well with the hops and I look forward to trying this one again sometime.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

750ml bottle, no freshness date. Served in 160z stemless snifter, just above refrigerator temperature, and allowed to warm throughout the session.

A- Pours a dark, hazy, red/orange color. Comes with a one inch creamy head that dissipates pretty quick and leaves a ring. Some lacing.

S- Definitely strong on the cedar, really does remind me of a cigar box. Citrus hops- grapefruit and orange, some sweet malts, maybe caramel but it's hard to decipher, there is an almost wine-like alcohol note, and going back for that last sniff I get a lot of lactose, literally smells like 2% or higher fat milk - I believe this is merely an illusory character, and deeper smells reveal the true complexity of this beer. Slight alcohol burn, but not much and it is pleasing with the wood character.

T- Hops up front, citrus and sweet fruit. Then caramel malts, blending into a nice smooth hop bitterness. From here the cedar steals the show- semi-rough in character, the cedar is light and airy, toasty, somewhat smokey, slightly grassy, and tobacco also comes to mind. The finish is cedar, then caramel malt sweetness, and a slightly bitter, dry ending.

M- Medium body with tiny bubbles makes for a great mouth feel in this experimental beer. Enough carbonation to let the aroma open up, but not too much so that no flavor is lost.

O- This is my third experience with Cigar City and I have yet to be let down (Unfortunately I live over 1100 miles from the brewery and they don't distribute to Illinois). Is it normal or expected to age an IPA in cedar? No. Does it work? Well that is a matter of opinion, but for me it does. A lot of other reviews weren't so pleased, but the cedar really won me over in both taste and aroma. This beer is extremely complex and is definitely a sipper. I hope you at least get to try this intriguing brew, even if you don't like it, it's worth the experience.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Copper colored with pillowy cream colored head. Nice retention and lace.

S: Same great hoppiness of the standard Jai Alai. Lots of nice pine with intermingling grass and citrus. Strong notes of spicy cedar can be picked up as well. A real nice fruity aroma as well that reminds me of fruity pebbles.

T: Love how the cedar plays off the hops. If you had not had the regular Jai Alai you would think it is rye or a herbal hop. It's not its the cedar and boy does it work. Of course it is backed up by ample amounts of malt and lots of grass and citrus. The finish is bold and sweet. Nice orange with hints of pineapple. Really top notch, can't wait for the bottle release.

M: Medium in body, nice and smooth.

D: Very tasty, I love what the cedar does to this already tasty IPA.

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing