Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Thanks to a buddy in FL for trading this and some others for some FFF's I had. My 1st ever Cigar City offering.

A - Hazy Orange to tan, 1 inch creamy head. Nice Lacing, good retention

S - Lots going on. Earthy, malts, some wood scents, grapefruit caramel/toffee, nothing really outdoing the other. Really nice aromas

T - Hops, balanced nicely with malts, some sweetness going on (Vanilla?), finishes crips, lingers a bit, but not too long

M - Pretty good, a touch dry but not bad.

O - Solid brew, would much like to try some other Jai Alai offerings. (555 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured an orange color with a 1 finger head. Decent amount of lacing on the glass.

Smelled of grapefruit, citrus, a little pine and some sweetness from the cedar.

Nice grapfruit bitterness up front that mellows out as the cedar kicks in. Finishes with nice, lingering citrus bitterness.

Medium mouthfeel, carbonation was a little on the high side.

Overall this was excellent. I enjoy Jai Alai, but the cedar aging adds a whole other dimension, really mellowing it out and giving it a smooth taste. (501 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +10%

I would be remiss not to send out a great, chest-thumping thanks to moose3285 for sending me a great, big, overflowing box of Cigar City to add to my collection. Split with the wife while settling in to watch the Twins dismantle the Yankees in game two...I hope.

First & foremost, CC gets props for their cool-ass bottles, each with an amusing anecdote on the side. The beer leaks into my Tyranena pint glass a light amber, borderline red-style brew. Smell is subdued hops & faintly woody.

Not much subtlety here. I'll warrant that I'm not terribly keen on anything interfering with my hops, but the cedar balance here is spot-on perfection. The underlying IPA I'd warrant is very good, the hops are there, but not so bright as usual; warm, rather than bitter, sharp rather than biting. The cedar does a marvelous job of complementing the hops with its woody woodiness, rather than taking over, or slinking too far into the background. Perfect balance.

Split the bomber with the wife, but she just got a dinner invitation, so I'm eyeing her half of the bomber in the fridge...I can't let that oxidate for an hour plus, can I? That would be criminal. I suppose that means it's drinkable, to consider stealing good beer from your most excellent wife. I'll get the stink eye for that later. Better bust out something else she likes!

Dammit, this is an excellent beer, which I've come to expect/assume from Cigar City. This raises the bar on a wood-agd IPA. I'd drink this every day & twice on Sundays given the chance. (1,522 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet.

A: Pours a relatively clear, autumn-orange color with about 2 1/2 fingers of creamy and bubbly, light tan foam on top. Retention was fleeting but the ropey lacing left behind was gorgeous. The second pour was incredibly thick and murky looking...almost like mango nectar.

S: The very first whiff I took of this from the bottle had a noticable cedar hope chest/cigar box type aroma that faded quickly. What emerged after that was mango, papaya, pineapple, toffee, clementine, pine bough, caramel, and tangerine.

T: Just like above with more of a cedar presence. I really liked how citrus and tropical fruit forward this was. Slight alcohol flavor becomes apparant as it comes up to temp. When it came time to pour the second half of the bottle, I made sure to swirl all of the sediment and get it into my glass. This netted me a TON of spicy cedar flavor.

M: Big juicy and sticky tropical fruit blend very nicely with spicy cedar, and prickly citrus and pine. Finishes with more than a hint of solvent alcohol. Second pour (with all the sediment) was spicy to the point of heavy astringency.

D: I think this would've scored maybe half a point higher if it weren't for the obvious alcohol presence. This is supposedly only packing 7.5% abv, but feels much higher. Other than that, this is a stellar AIPA! (1,363 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%

The beer pours slightly hazy and copper in color with a huge 4 finger light tan head with giant bubbles. Over the few minutes it took me to get my computer set up the head has slowly begun to fade, but the lacing clings strong to the edges of the glass. The nose is full of pine and citrus hops along with a grounded earthy character.

With the first sip I'm struck with bitter grapefruit, and then as that initial flavor starts to fade the cedar starts to take over. It reminds me of what you would hope a humidor would taste like if you licked it. The key point there is "what you would hope", I'm sure if you licked a humidor it would taste nasty.

The finish is very dry and invites you to take the next sip. This is overall a fantastic beer. Traditional Jai Alai is an amazing beer, but this cedar aged version takes it to such a different level. I need to pick up more cigar city beers. (893 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +9.5%

The smell of this one is intriguing. It smells slightly sweet, but with noticeable hoppiness. The hops wind up tasting very smooth and their citrus flavor evens out the wood perfectly. I was expecting more of a sharp taste or smell of cedar, but the balance of floral hops and subtle woodiness is very nice. This beer leaves a nice foam on the side of the glass and is well carbonated. The combination of which is a perfect full body mouth feel. Great beer. (457 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reddish gold colored, that pours with a three-quarter inch off-white head that collapses quickly. Nose is cedar, citrus and black pepper. Taste is lots of cedar, with a touch of lemon and a dry, bitter, astringent finish. Feel is substantial but not thick, with a lot of bubbly carbonation. This is an interesting twist on one of my favorite IPAs. (347 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Jai Lai has become one of my favorite IPAs, so without doubt I'm quite eager to pop this one open...

A - A beautiful cascading pour... Three fingers of rich creamy slightly rocky light khaki colored head that is intertwined with some large chunky bubbles... Excellent retention... Loaded with small bubbled carbonation starts slow and builds to a quick pace as it rises to the top of the glass... Loads of lacing cling to the sides of the glass... The color is a slightly bronzed orange...

S - Bright ripe oranges and red grapefruit are at the forefront... Also present are the cedar notes which are reminiscent of an empty cigar box... The interplay between the citrus and cedar is remarkable... Also present are some bready malt undertones and a tinge of spiciness...

T - Bursting with flavor... Citrus dominated by oranges, the cedar, and bready malts come together and assault the pallete right of the bat... Wonderful depth and complexity... The cedar and grapefruit compete for supremacy on the aftertaste as both linger for a while... Ultimately the grapefruit wins...

M - Medium bodied... Lush... Slightly creamy... Remarkably engaging... Refreshing... Very light carbonation on the tongue... Juicy most of the way but turns a tad dry on the finish...

D - I believe this was the first cedar aged beer that I've ever tried and I walk way impressed... The cedar adds layers of depth and complexity in terms of aroma, taste, and overall drinkability... I would gladly drink this when given the opportunity and look forward to trying additional cedar aged offerings from Cigar City and others... A job well done... (1,627 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

Reviewed from notes; originally 6/15/10.

A-Pours a ruby-tinged amber with a 2.5 finger glistening white head, and leaves a sticky, thick lacing behind. This is a beautiful beer.

S-Pineapple, pine, a very obvious cedar component, spicy herbal, and a gentle earthiness to it.

T-Wow, cedar! Spicy cedar upfront with pine, grapefruit, and a dry, herbal, bitter finish. Very interesting taste profile.

M-Very smooth with very prickly, almost heavy carbonation. It's almost light bodied because of the carbonation.

D-This is a pretty unique beer. The cedar gets to be a little much near the end of a 750 ml bottle, so that knocks down the drinkability a notch for me. That being said, a very solid, very original beer. I love that that the hops are very discernible and mesh well with the cedar. (794 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle supplied as an extra by a generous Florida BA having side by side with the regular jai-alai.

a- we've got a gusher. it didn't stop at that though. the hazy orange liquid produced a massive amount of head. nice lacing, too.

s- compared to the regular IPA this literally almost smells like wood-chips at first. the IPA is under there though. citrus and caramel malt are most prevelent. slightly floral as well. the cedar may be a bit heavy but it's not off putting at all.

t- the woodiness from the cedar is still obvious but it doesn't cover up the IPA base nearly as much as in the aroma. it melds very well with the big caramel malt flavors. some floral and citric hop bitterness. slightly biscuit-like. a great balanced IPA taking advantage of a large malt profile to make a very good IPA.

m- very full bodied for the style. plenty of carbo. a bit of stickiness.

d- goes down as easy as any I can think of and packs a punch at 7.5%. I'd definitely have again I see it anywhere (996 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big boy magnum bottle via milwaukeeclassic via an in-person trade at Darkness Day. Thanks again, Duane.

Murky orange unfiltered pour with a boatload of sticky lacing and cling.

Massive pepper on the nose overrides any major elements from the base. Underlying sweetness is subtle and cannot overcome the condimental pepper slap. While not IPA-ish, it's enjoyable but one-dimensional.

Cedar becomes evident right away and pepper rides hard. Underlying IPA base presents sweet and the hops are mostly muted and mild. Not sure I would peg this as an IPA without prior knowledge, but it's quite good.

Carbonation is a bit high while the cedar aging leaves the finish dry while the hops juiciness pushes hard against the dryness. Funny how the hops seem to showcase themselves best in the mouthfeel and not in the taste. Not sure that makes sense as it confounds me a bit as well, but damn it if I don't feel it.

Good, enjoyable, surprising, drinkable. Those are four words I enjoy. (983 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a tulip. Thanks to urwithdave for the bottle.

A - Pours a bright amber-orange with three fingers of pillowy beige foam. With each sip, the beer deposits another intricate strand of lace.

S - Toffee, pine and herbal hop aroma, cedar.

T - Tastes of toffee and black tea with white pepper and a very dry, leafy hop flavor. Cedar adds a very welcome note of wood and a dry spiciness that's an interesting departure from the usual oak. Bitterness is only a bit on the high side but is accentuated by the slight, tea-like astringency. The finish is quite dry, with a lingering, citrus-pith flavor and bitterness.

M - Light body for the style, dry and a bit puckering. Good carbonation.

D - This is a unique - to my knowledge - take on the American IPA and a thoroughly enjoyable one at that. Great flavor without being too heavy, boozy, or over-the-top hoppy. Well done, Cigar City! (913 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +9%

Pours a dark slightly hazy amber color with a generous amount of white sticky, soapy head leaving ample sticky bubbly lacing on the goblet and a nice lasting soapy-looking, white, bubbly cap.

Aromas are begin with lemon, orange, and slight grapefruit hoppiness. Then you get some biscuity and pale sweet maltiness. On top of that is the spicy yet subdued wood aroma of a fine cigar box and a small hint of alcohol. It really, really smells like a empty cedar cigar box, that is crazy...

The tastes begin with biscuity malts and light pale malt sweetness, but then you get a nice light hop bitterness and flavor highlighted by lemon, orange and grapefruit notes, just like the nose; then the cedar wood flavors flows in. The wood both mellows and adds complexity to the taste.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation; light enough to be drinkable but has enough body to stand up and complement the complex cedar-aged flavors. Finish is on the drier side thanks to the "higher" ABV but mainly the wood-aging. I wouldn't classify it as crisp or clean because the citrus hops are still quite apparent; extraordinarily balanced between clean malt bodied, sticky (hops), sweet (malt again), bitter (hops) and dry (cedar) is my "expert" analysis.

Overall this beer was a treat. I really, really enjoy wood aged IPAs because the oak aging allows the hops to take a lesser role, and in a way, balance the beer to an almost American Pale Ale hoppiness level. The flavor and aroma are quite complex and interesting and worth while to savor. The cedar character is incredible and Cigar City has really mastered and yet still continues to revolutionize this style in my opinion. I have met few wood-aged beers I dislike, but this one stands out because the cedar is so prevalent/distinct and makes this worth seeking out if you can find it relatively fresh. (1,864 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +9%

Cigar City Cedar Aged IPA, Humidor Series. Bottle bought at Whole Foods in NYC for $9.95. Bottle says only "H" and "Humidor Series", but no mention of Jai Alai, so it took me a bit to find the proper entry here.

Appearance: Again, as with Marshall, carbonation issues. Pops loudly, spills, huge head. What gives, CCB?? Three fingers of lily-white head that lasts and leaves major lacing. Color is a hazy copper, like a dirty saison.

Smell: The nose is truly exceptional, whether you like it or not. There's nothing like it! The cedar is strong, fragrant, aromatic. Reminds me of walking through a pine forest or a prairie full of lavender and other herbs. Pine needles, citrus, dry sweetness... a whole word of aromas.

Taste: More of the same, with that cedar ever present, but not as exciting as the nose. Spice, pine, tropical fruit. Candied orange, chewing gum. A tad of wood, but not quite like other aged IPA's (Burton Baton, for example).

Mouthfeel: Persistent, dry and spicy at the end. Sort of creamy, definitely well-rounded and full-bodied despite a somewhat lacking carbonation (surprising considering the initial issues).

Overall: Quite a unique beer that I'm sure has got as many fans as it has detractors. I was surprised at first, then warmed up to it and enjoyed. The aroma is fantastic, and the cedar works well with the IPA base. At $10 per bomber, though, not sure I will go back to it... Marshall is my fav! (1,434 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +9%

A. Pours orange with a thin white foamy head.

S. Holy shit! Humidor like crazy. I've had a few of these and this one plays up the humidor to 11. Incredible.

T. The jai alai flavor is played down a bit to the predominate cedar flavor. The grassy and citrus hops are very nice with a good malt.

M. Medium body with fairly high carbonation. Matches the flavor well.

D. I would truly like all of the humidor series to smell like this. (434 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +9%

I got this beer at the Tasting Room on a recent trip to Tampa. I poured into a goblet.

Appearance: A pleasant hazy light golden color with a head the settles after a short time. No lacing was left on my glass.

Smell: To me this does not smell like cedar from a humidor. I used to smoke cigars some time ago, but they got to expensive. Now my habit is craft beer, I am not sure which one is cheaper. :-)

I can smell the hop bitterness and I can sense a little of the alcohol booziness.

Taste: This is very delicious. All three characters, malt, hops, and cedar, intermingle nicely. The malt is able to stand up to the hoppiness, while they wait their turn and show up in the aftertaste. All the while the wood aging adds an interesting dimension, that is not present in the Jai Alai IPA.

Mouthfeel: Fine, carbonation and body are spot on. This beer is a bit slick or oily from the hops. Very nice.

Drinkability: Higher ABV and assertive flavors make this a bottle to share. That and I will not be able to get this except for trips to see family. I will definitely drink this one when I can, which will not be all that often. (1,131 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +9%

Got this 750mL from Gtreid in a recent LIF, thanks so much for the generosity! Cracked this open for new beer Saturday with Alex and Dave (MasterSki and d0b).

A: Pours a hazy orangey amber with just off-white colored head and lots of lacing on the glass.

S: Smells like tons of orange, grapefruity hops, citrus, pine, light cedar, earthiness...smells great, but not as intense as I'd prefer

T: Lots of pine, grapefruit hoppiness, more cedar in the flavor, a nice amount of malt but still the hops win out, decent amount of bitterness in the finish

M: Really full bodied and well carbonated make this a really nice mouthfeel

D: Pretty highly drinkable, it feels like a bigger IPA, but it's still sessionable with the great flavor and you really don't pick up much alcohol if any. (783 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

Thanks to Gabor the primo Penn Station beer man for this nugget which I can't find around here. Poured cold from a capped 750 into a pint glass.

A-Mostly clear bright copper with a thick creamy eggshell head. Enticing looking brew.

S-Wow...the cedar really packs a punch in the nose, think of raw cut cedar and you get the idea. Caramel malts and some earthy hops are also present in the nose.

T-Intitial sweet caramel malts immediately give way to robust citrus hops that are utterly infused with cedar. Now I have no idea what cedar tastes like, but I'm tasting the smell for sure. The cedar seems to flatten the citric nature of the hops and adds its own unique lingering finish, with the bittering hops lasting well through the end of the tongue numbing palate. Some fellow BA's have tried this and say the cedar is overpowering, and I can sort of get that, but to me, it adds a refreshing level of complexity to an IPA (and admittedly, I've never tried the regular Jai Alai) that I find both refreshing and delicious.

M-Well balanced carbonation, and creamy for the style. Spot on.

D-A standout in a field where it is really hard to produce something wonderful and unique. I will buy this again any time I can find it. (1,228 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

I love the smell of cedar and cooking with it so this beer couldn't go wrong! Pours an amazing opaque ruby color with a fine white head. Smell is very cedary with some mild pineyness and citrus notes. Taste is cedar forward with some ruby red grapefruit in the hops and a smooth clean finish. It is a beaver's dream! (316 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

750 ml bottle poured in to a goblet.

Pours a hazy orangy amber with a white sticky head that isn't moving anyime soon.

Smell starts like sweet citrus, then a spicy woody finish.

Taste is cedary. Starts with a mellow cedar then a hoppy middle finishing with a deeper woody finish.

Mouthfeel is very full and the cedar keeps the hoppy bitterness from being too strong.

An excellent beer that I was very surprised to find. (424 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

Had this on my visit to Cigar City. Served in a pint glass.

A: darkish orange color, a bit opaque. Very small head that managed to stay for quite a while. Good lacing.

S: cedar, pines, oak, hints of herbal and citric notes. Very nice but this smell wasn't as strong as the regular bottled Jai Alai IPA I've tried previously which I thought it was a bit weird.

T: follows the nose with a woody taste, hops, citric hints, a touch of spicyness as well that doesn't get in the way. Everything is very balanced, nothing offensive. Amazing taste for an IPA.

M: medium carbonation. Finishes off excellently and smoothly; goes down well for being an IPA.

O: no wonder this is one of Cigar City's award winning beers. If you are into IPAs this is a must-have. Heck, even if you're not a big IPA fan (like myself) you should definitely try this amazing beer. (853 characters)

750 mL poured into a snifter

A- A deep orange with a touch of amber and huge fluffy white head.

S- Grapefruit, pine, hops, some cedar. Grapefruit is more than just citrus hops, it is actually tart and acidic smelling like fresh squeezed grapefruit.

T- Cedar is really big, grapefruit in the middle has a nice tartness, nice hoppy bitterness finish. Really tasty.

M- Smooth, medium body, refreshing.

O- This is a great easy to drink IPA. The wood taste works really well, enjoy the tartness a lot. I enjoyed regular Jai Ahia, but this is better. I can't wait to drink more. (608 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks Blastbeats for sharing! Too cool, just got a fresh bottle from the brewery.

A - Appears a cloudy orange color with a sticky, frothy head.

S - Smells extremely interesting, actually reminds me of the smell of Binney's liquor stores when you first walk in, haha. Smells like fresh cut cedar, backed up with a spicy hop aroma. Very enticing aromas!

T - Taste is more hops and grapefruit and less cedar, but you catch it when you exhale through the nose. Lots of bittering piney hops, actually the cedar wood really accentuates the pineyness and resinous grapefruit without any of the tropical hops like Jai Alai.

M - Mouth feel is smooth, rich and full,

O - Overall an extremely unique and interesting beer that seems to work. I can imagine this beer really shines when paired with food, particularly spicy seafood or cajun dishes. (840 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A: A very hazy orangish goldish body with a pure white half finger head.

S: The cedar is very obvious. It is behind the intense grapefruit, lemon, and pine aromas that the hops are giving off. There is also a subtle caramel aroma.

T: Very good. There is a dry bitterness to start it off and then it goes into a pine and grapefruit flavor. The caramel and toffee flavors form the malts come forward next and the body finishes with a smooth cedar flavor. Complex and works well.

M: Nice heavy yet silky body with perfect carbonation.

O: Great IPA. Get this one if you can. (574 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured into a Stone RIS Snifter.

A: Pours a nice orange/peach color. A decent amount of carbonation. 1 inch white foam.

S: On the citrusy side along with a detectable hint of cedar, as the beer warmed up it began to smell like a fresh bag of weed. The nose was great for nostalgia.

T: Tangerine with the piney hop bitterness to it. Cedar flavor is noticeable, very balanced though. It has a fresh wood feeling that a lot of the other wood aged beers do not get. It adds a nice character to the beer.

M/D: The carbonation is pretty high on this beer. It was absolutely delicious and very interesting as IPA's go. I really enjoyed the unique character this beer had. It was like every other IPA out there and it worked very well. I will be seeking this out again. (765 characters)

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing