Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009)

3.25/5  rDev -20%

4.75/5  rDev +17%

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

A - A caramel golden color. Nice 1 finger head and sticky lace all over the glass.

S - Piny hops and cedar. Wow, excellent...

T - Cedar and pine hops. Grapefruit galore. Sweet.

M - Medium bodied and well carbonated.

O - A very good IPA. Cedar adds a great touch, but is not overwhelming. An excellent version of the Jai Alai

2.4/5  rDev -40.9%

A murky brown pour contrasts with a vibrant white foam. Legs cling a little to the glass sides. The nose is a woody bittering hop. I'm not really good at distinguishing hops, but smell seems Saez or Czech, or Hallertau, or maybe even Willamette. Are these even accurate? Point is, the hops I do smell really aren't like the delicious Simcoe or Cascade or Centennial that I was expecting...and certainly no Citra. I detect only like bitterness hops, and that's a tad disappointing.

It tastes better than it smells, but not as good as it looks--not as good as the cool-looking bottle and label suggest, and definitely far short of the hoopla I've encountered surrounding CC Brewery. I'll try not to let my let-down overly contaminate my review here, but this beer is not that impressive. It's not that it's too malty; it's that the hops/ingredients seem inferior! [Edit: maybe it's the cedar?!?!?]. I think beers in big bottles--particularly 750s--should taste better than their 12oz peers. Though I bought both at the same time and place, this is my second such beer. For me, it's the hops in this IPA that just aren't that good.

The feel is also lacking. Though bittering hops seem to dominate, there is no enamel-ripping or cool-like bittering feel. It's beers like this that make me wonder if my palate is suffering! :-0 It's also dark-ass pale ales like this that remind me that I hate Irish reds. This is what the beer most reminds me of. It's not even Thanksgiving yet, but oh how I want a Hopslam....

Edit: after reading other reviews, maybe it's the cedar wood that I found overwhelming and off-putting. For me, it totally masked any citrus or grapefruit (interestingly, the wifey picked up some grapefruit...but she likes the wood more than me ;-). As for a comparison to Burton Baton, I guess I've concluded I like oak better than cedar.

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

Thanks to sergfl for this one. 750ml poured into a Duvel tulip at fridge temp. Bottle dated June 14.

A. Nice golden orange body,with a thick two finger offwhite fluffy head. Lacing stuck all over.

S. Tons of cedar, it is the dominant smell. I get some faint piney hops along with a little peach.

T. Upfront I get the cedar, just like the nose. I think it works well with the piney hops. Not getting to much more.

M. Good creamy,smooth medium feel,with perfect carbonation. Bitter,dry finish.

Overall this is a solid beer that benifits from the cedar. It really balences it out. Well done. Makes it very interesting and differant.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Cigar City Cedar Aged IPA, Humidor Series. Bottle bought at Whole Foods in NYC for $9.95. Bottle says only "H" and "Humidor Series", but no mention of Jai Alai, so it took me a bit to find the proper entry here.

Appearance: Again, as with Marshall, carbonation issues. Pops loudly, spills, huge head. What gives, CCB?? Three fingers of lily-white head that lasts and leaves major lacing. Color is a hazy copper, like a dirty saison.

Smell: The nose is truly exceptional, whether you like it or not. There's nothing like it! The cedar is strong, fragrant, aromatic. Reminds me of walking through a pine forest or a prairie full of lavender and other herbs. Pine needles, citrus, dry sweetness... a whole word of aromas.

Taste: More of the same, with that cedar ever present, but not as exciting as the nose. Spice, pine, tropical fruit. Candied orange, chewing gum. A tad of wood, but not quite like other aged IPA's (Burton Baton, for example).

Mouthfeel: Persistent, dry and spicy at the end. Sort of creamy, definitely well-rounded and full-bodied despite a somewhat lacking carbonation (surprising considering the initial issues).

Overall: Quite a unique beer that I'm sure has got as many fans as it has detractors. I was surprised at first, then warmed up to it and enjoyed. The aroma is fantastic, and the cedar works well with the IPA base. At $10 per bomber, though, not sure I will go back to it... Marshall is my fav!

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 750 into a belgian beer goblet. Beer pours a delightful tan with one finger head which recedes into a patchy lace. Smells of cedar, caramel, and aged hops. Tastes of cedar almost like an old cedar chest that is warm and inviting. Followed by caramel and almost the slightest touch of a cigar. Later after the pour I enjoyed this beer with a mellow cigar and the two paired perfectly. The mouthfeel is good, nicely carbonated and a bit drying at the finish which comes to be very enjoyable and has me anticipating it in every sip. Overall I like this beer and find it to be a comforting, sit down and relax brew. As I have only had oak aged ipa's before this, and this beer is right up my alley. Many who enjoy wood aged ipa's will enjoy this beer quite a bit. First I've had of cigar city's beers and it is a winner.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a pint glass. FINALLY, I get to drink this from a bottle. I had this on tap during a Cigar City event at Capone's during Philly Beer Week, but wasn't reviewing at the time. The first bottle I got in trade, I busted. :( So alas, I finally get to do this.

Beer pours a very murky golden-orange. Nearly opaque, which is odd for a beer that's not black (stout, etc). The head on this is voluminous, especially when pouring down the center. Very thick and creamy. Resembles the top of a rootbeer float. Head has serious staying power and provides copious amounts of lacing as it receded down the glass. The nose is heavy on the cedar. Not surprising considering it's the big draw. Usually I notice notice any maltiness in an IPA on the back end of a sip, and in the aftertaste. However, it's right in your face in the nose of this beer. The taste is a wonderful combination of hoppiness, cedar, and that maltiness I spoke of. I would prefer a little more hope and cedar, and a bit less maltiness, however. The mouthfeel is a bit smoky, with a good bit of bitterness. The malty overtones of this beer persist from the nose, straight through to the finish. Overall, this is a fabulous twist to the stock Jai Alai. Each taste is a sip of beer and a draw from a cigar at the same time. Nice treat. Glad I have 2 more in the fridge.

4.78/5  rDev +17.7%

Pours a hazy orange with a one finger head. Not quite opaque and I do not see any chunks of yeast. I smell cedar first and foremost followed by grapefruit and mango. Incredible aroma. The taste is perfect. The cedar hits first and then morphs into a nice grapefruit and mango combo that leaves a semi-dry finish. The mouthfeel is like silk. The carbonation is light to medium. Drinkability is OK, but I can finish the bottle myself due to how good this beer really is. Overall, the most complex IPA I have had to date. This is definitely not for everyone, but it is definitely a must try for any IPA fan. Very unique and finally an extreme beer that Sam hasn't thought of. A must try!

1.45/5  rDev -64.3%

Split the 750 with a buddy.

Pours a red tinged orange with a massive 2 finger head leaving great lacing down the glass.

Smells very sweet with overpowering cedar and tobacco.

Starts off with a little hop kick. Fades into a sweet malt. Taste is like I'm chewing on a plank of cedar. There is no subtleness at all to this. Cedar and tobacco overpower everything and it's a disgusting mess.
As my friend put it, "It's like they made a normal beer and dumped half a Cuban in it."

Mouthfeel is a bit sticky with medium carbonation. The thickness I would enjoy more in a barleywine, not an IPA.

Really wanted to like this one, but we both found it undrinkable and down the drain it went. Very unpleasant aftertaste. Quite possibly the worst beer I've ever consumed.

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Thanks to a buddy in FL for trading this and some others for some FFF's I had. My 1st ever Cigar City offering.

A - Hazy Orange to tan, 1 inch creamy head. Nice Lacing, good retention

S - Lots going on. Earthy, malts, some wood scents, grapefruit caramel/toffee, nothing really outdoing the other. Really nice aromas

T - Hops, balanced nicely with malts, some sweetness going on (Vanilla?), finishes crips, lingers a bit, but not too long

M - Pretty good, a touch dry but not bad.

O - Solid brew, would much like to try some other Jai Alai offerings.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Shared 4 ways at a home tasting tonight.

A: golden/amber with plenty of thick, white head. Decent retention, solid lace.

S: sweet grapefruit, cedar barrels, malts, hops, a touch earthy too.

T: definitely shares many similarities with normal Jai Alai. Hoppy with pine, sweet malt, and fruity grapefruits. Notes of cedar mix with the booze as it descends. Pretty good balance of flavors for a single IPA.

M: medium-bodied & creamy. Feels under-carbonated, but no complaints here!

D: I'm not an IPA person (and I particularly dislike single IPAs), but I would happily split this bottle 2 ways next time instead of 4.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

750ml bottle poured into a Cigar City snifter. Bottle generously provided as an extra by thagr81us, thanks Calton!

A - Pours a dark goldenrod color with flecks of amber within the deepest parts. About a finger's worth of cream-colored head with pretty good retention and a thick cap after it's gone. Lacing is nice as well, with long, cascading curtains of foam surrounding the glass.

S - The nose is rich and complex, bringing in deep aromas of the underlying IPA mixed with wood. You can almost smell the juiciness of the citrus, grapefruit, and pine from the hops, and the cedar serves as a way to balance that by adding a big dose of vanilla and a sawdust smell that is like sticking your head into a cedar chest. The malts are no strangers as well, contributing a nice caramel aroma.

T - The depth of this beer continues well into the flavor. At first, it seems rather malty, with a bold caramel sweetness and a slight toffee flavor. The wood definitely serves as the bridge between the malts and hops, with an aggressive cedar taste that is almost like sucking on a stave, but then the vanilla returns to help cut that. As in the nose, the finish is all hops, from the ripe citrus notes to the bitter finish.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately heavy-bodied with good carbonation. A bit syrupy at times, but the carbonation helps alleviate this a bit. Finish is long and bitter.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately high. Up to this point, Dogfish Head's Burton Baton has set the bar for me in terms of wood-aged IPAs, but this definitely makes it close. I would say this beer is a bit more complex than Burton, but is more bitter and the amount of cedar is like getting a face-full for sawdust, which isn't necessarily bad. I haven't had Burton in too long, but I faintly remember it being a bit more smooth. This is still a great beer though, and definitely in the top tier for it's style.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Medium orange/brown topped with a decently pronounced off white head which has good lacing.

Cedar wood, orange blossom, orange zest and a suggestion of caramel.

Cedar wood is present on the tongue and quite interesting. The wood adds a welcomed astringency which goes well with the bitter citrus flavors. The nose leads into the flavor of this directly, orange peel and orange blossom meet with a milky subtle caramel. There is a nice bitterness to sweet ratio and the flavors are nice and harmonious.

Pretty sticky for the style but not in a bad way (read as solidly medium body)

good stuff, the cedar is a new flavor for me in the style and I think it works quite well.I would note that there is a slightly odd funky note (infection?) which I have to say I don't dislike. All and all this is an interesting beer.

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing