Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009)
krisandajt

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

My 200th review, figure I better make it something good. Got this one from a trade with awalk1227. Cheers!

Appearance: Poured from the bottle into my Shorts pint glass, the beer is a nice, barely cloudy, vibrant copper color with a huge amount of not-quite-white head. The retention is impressive, so much so that I have to wait for it to fade away before I can really dig into this beer. As the head slowly dissipates, it leaves behind thick sheets of schtick along the sides of the glass.

Smell: I'm getting more of the cedar aging than I am hops. The smell is muted, most likely a result of the aging. I'm getting the feeling that this brew is suffering from a bit of hop fade. I'm hoping that the aging on the cedar will make up for the lack of bitterness.

Taste: Thankfully, I'm getting me some hops now. The hops bring a bit of pine to the brew, but it's mostly overshadowed by a malty backbone and a subtle hint of wood aging. All the flavors combine to form a pretty balanced brew, but I was hoping for a bit more of an in-your-face hoppy blast.

Mouthfeel: A nice medium body, and ample carbonation.

Drinkability: Not exactly what I expected. Though I guess that an IPA that has been aged is going to be a little muted. Overall, it does have some good flavor. I think the cedar aging does add a nice quality to the beer, but it would be much better if they amped up the hops.

08-06-2010 23:41:47 | More by krisandajt
BeahDrinkah

South Carolina

08-21-2013 23:41:07 | More by BeahDrinkah
billab914

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Russian River tulip glass. Poured a murky copper orange color with a big frothy three finger off-white head. The head had some very good retention and left a lot of lacing on the glass as I drank it.

The aroma starts off with some hoppy citrus flavors but then the big cedar, dry, woody flavor hits you. It really smells like you walked into a humidor. It's kind of hard to pick up any of the beer flavors through the strong cedar.

The taste shows a little more of the hoppy, citrus & pine IPA flavor then the nose did, but it also has a pretty strong woody cedar taste to it. The finish leaves a nice long lasting bitterness on the palate. The ceder might just be overpowering the taste too much in my opinion though.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is decent, you really have to enjoy the wood flavor for it to be drinkable though.

Overall this was a very interesting beer, it was a cool idea and I'm glad I got to try it. The cedar is just too overpowering in it though in my opinion and the wood flavor is hard to get past. This is probably the most extreme "wood" flavored beer I've ever had and I'm not sure how I feel about cedar as a beer flavor. It didn't seem to lend itself to beer as well as say Oak does in my opinion.

03-21-2010 19:23:09 | More by billab914
thegerm87

Connecticut

01-21-2013 02:16:52 | More by thegerm87
TheGordianKnot

Tennessee

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Another awesome beer from ShadesOfGray, thanks Ryan! Poured into tulip glass...

A- Not quite opaque, but not clear. Blood orange in color with large two finger yellowish head. Beautiful lacing!

S- Aroma is subdued. Still spicy and earthy. Also get a hefty helping of wood, cedar I assume.

T/M- Hmmm. Spicy and earthy. Supported heavily by malts. Hops have faded for sure. Cedar is there, but smooth and balances the spicey hops. Strong bready character, maybe its more like toast actually, from the malt. Not sweet, but malty for sure. Carbonation is prominent but bubbles are tiny and not prickly.

O- Need. This. Fresh. Period. Great as is, but was sent to me cellared for an unknown period of time, 8 months I think. Everything had faded, but reminiscent of what it could be, and I want to explore.

08-19-2011 18:47:42 | More by TheGordianKnot

03-09-2013 02:10:34 | More by OUJayhawk1799
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured a hazy yellow-orange with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, citrus, wood, and tobacco. The flavor was of sweet malt, citrus, citrus hop, wood, and tobacco. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. The tobacco aspect in this one really killed it for me unfortunately. I went into this one really wanting to like it, but couldn't bring myself to do so as much as I thought I would. However, the flavors from the Humidor was definitely transferred to the brew. Hope to get a chance to try more Humidor offerings that might fit in better based on style than the IPA.

08-10-2011 19:13:27 | More by thagr81us
morimech

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a murky, dark amber with two inches of white head that had decent retention before settling to a thick cap. Moderate amount of sticky lacing is left on the glass. First impressions of the aroma, where is the cedar. I had to really search deep for any hint, but there is some cedar and herbal aroma. Citrus hops and sweet malt makes up the remainder of the aroma. The flavor as well, did not seem that special. A lot of sweet malt upfront before citrus hops and bitterness takes control. The cedar lends slight hints of, well, cedar and something along the lines of memthol. Bitterness is high but it has to be to balance the sweetness of the malt. Alcohol is detectable and feels warm in the body. The mouthfeel is the best part of the beer. Nice soft carbonation gives an excellant texture. Medium/full body that seems to becoming the norm for American IPAs. Just do not sense what is so special about this beer at what I am sure is a premium price.

06-20-2010 22:26:23 | More by morimech
mwilbur

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into shaker pint glass.
A: Pours a clear golden color with 1 inch bubbly white head. Decent retention. Faint lace.
S: Nice cedar and hops. Pine and pineapple notes. Hint of guava and black pepper. Fresh and pleasant.
T: Holy hops! Cedar is still present, but not as nicely balanced as in the aroma. I'm sure there's more there, but the hop bomb obliterates everything else.
M: Very bitter from the overpowering hops. Light body. Slightly oily feel.
D: I'm a little over half-way through a pint of this one and having difficulty continuing. This started out promising, but took a nose-dive. Although I'd still say this is above average overall, I wouldn't recommend it. Don't go out of your way for this one.

05-30-2010 04:40:02 | More by mwilbur
stang02

Georgia

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Served in a pint glass from a 750ml bottle. Pours an opaque orange that has absolutely no clarity to it. Has a one finger head that is slowly diminishing with great lacing. Smells is overwhelmingly strong from the citrus, namely grapefruit and some orange. There is no cedar in the nose which is disappointing. There is no cedar anywhere which is even more disappointing. If it weren't cedar aged then it would be a pretty good IPA but since it is supposed to be cedar aged it is a little bit underwhelming. That being said, it is still a very good, very drinkable IPA that should be experienced by anyone who likes the hops. The finish is slightly acidic because of the grapefruit taste that dominates the entire body of the beer. It is not balanced with the hops commanding most of the taste, with little regard to malts anywhere in the body of this beer. It has a good mouthfeel but feels oily on the palate afterwards.

I was originally excited to try this beer but it was underwhelming. It is still good to drink but the cedar is not prevalent whatsoever. Good IPA but I wouldn't go too far out of my way to get it.

05-26-2010 21:53:51 | More by stang02
dborginis

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Jai alai cedar.  Turbid, hazy copper color.  Sweet fruity smell, with a bit of booze as well.  Metallic hop flavor, mild on the metal.  If I really try to, I can taste the cedar. Heavy on the hop bitterness, heavy on the malts, but the malt clearly takes a backseat. Not sure what hops were used but they are very bitter. Wish there was a stronger aroma hop presence. For the amount of flavor here, not as drinkable as it should be...too high abv.

Addendum: I just sipped the dregs, not sure why, but it was painfully hoppy. Was this dry hopped?

09-07-2010 02:07:27 | More by dborginis
glazeman

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Huge thanks to moose3285 for this beer in a recent trade.

A: Orange in color with a 3 finger white head. The head has excellent retention and lacing, but was too large on initial poor.

S: I smell more of the barrel here than the base IPA, lots of woodiness

T: I feel like the main thing the cedar aging does to this beer, as compared to the regular jai-lai is that it adds a little bit of woodiness to the finish and tames the bitterness somewhat. There's some pine up front, but I don't get much citrus.

M: Over carbonated in my opinion. Otherwise this beer has a good mouthfeel and a pleasant aftertaste.

D: This beer goes down easy and is quite enjoyable. Besides the high level of carbonation that may give me an upset stomach, I feel it is pretty drinkable.

01-20-2011 00:35:23 | More by glazeman
Kkottonmouthkngz

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

A: cloudy as hell, amber orange with an enormous pillowy head, rocky peaks all over the place. it literally doesnt move if its left untouched. theres legs and patches of fluff all over the sides of the glass.
S: kind of smells like pineapple and possibly raw fruit. theres also some spice aspect, seems like cloves that youd stick in an orange for an air freshener. im not sure i really enjoy the way it smells altogether, but its different for sure.
T: again almosy a mildewy pineapple. its got a weird prominent flavor that i cant really pinpoint, but im leaning towards charbroiled pineapple. these flavors are kind of a headscratcher.
M: this thing has huge amounts of carbonation, and it really pricks the tongue and palate rather viciously. something about this just rubs me the wrong way.
D: im ok with this on my first glass, but interested to see how i feel in a little while. overall im not really sold on this one.

02-08-2011 01:17:25 | More by Kkottonmouthkngz
photomike

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Very nice extra from HeyOhhh...thanks!

Pours the color of blood orange juice with slight haze and a really gorgeous orangey-white head of about one inch. Very soft with amazing retention and abundant lacing. If clarity bothered me, I'd give this a 4.5, but I really can't understand scoring it less than that. Exceptional is right!

Smell is...well....it is what it is. Ever jammed your face into an empty cigar box? Yep, that's exactly what it smells like. Pure, unadulterated cedar. Very light biscuity malt sweetness and a little bit of sweet citrus. The non-cedar elements are definitely overpowered by the wood. I happen to love the smell of cedar; in fact, it's one of my favorite smells. This is a bit too much, but I rather like it.

Thankfully, the flavor is not quite as out of balance as the aroma, but it's pretty close. Cedar is certainly the most prominent flavor here, but there is also a nice underlying grapefruit-peel bitterness. Not as sweet as the regular Jai Alai. In fact, nowhere on the bottle is Jai Alai mentioned. Biscuity malts. Dry finish. Not entirely complex, thanks to the prominence of the cedar.

Lots of really active carbonation on the tongue, though not uncomfortably so. Medium bodied, and lightly astringent. Very oily, the flavor sticks around in your mouth for ages.

This is a pretty tasty beer, especially for big fans of cedar such as myself. That said, the 750 was a bit of a chore after a while. So much cedar. I feel as though cedar could certainly contribute in a very positive way to a beer, but this is too much.
Sorry Cigar City.

05-12-2010 03:48:17 | More by photomike
kbm

Arizona

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

Received a bottle in a trade with Keifdog.

Preface: I decided to drink this in a cigar store (which boasts one of the largest walk in humidor's in the state, so lots of cedar smells already) with a cigar (Rocky Patel Sungrown).

Appearance: Poured slightly cloudy copper with a huge head (maybe four fingers) with great retention and lacing.

Smell: Citrusy/piney hop metallic and the more I drink the more I smell the cedar.

Taste: Malty and citrusy with cedar prominent in the after taste. Moderate hopiness. The cedar is not a bad flavor, just different but I don't think the cedar adds to the beer. I've had the regular Jai Alai IPA and given the choice, I would order the regular Jai Alai every time. However, the cedar did add an interesting complexity in the cigar shop which was already cedar smelly in its own right.

Mouthfeel: Moderate to heavy carbonation. Pretty refreshing on a warm day.

Drinkability: Somewhere between a gulper and a sipper. Medium body.

08-16-2009 07:15:29 | More by kbm
AChamberlain

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

750 bottle. Poured into chalice sort of glass. Poured an orange, marmalde color. Translucent, a bit murky. Nice head. Good looking. Musty hop aroma. Dirty hop water. Woody? Sharp bitterness up front and then sparkling sweet malt flavor covering my tongue. Definitly a wood quality in the flavor, dank. Smoothish, some zest. Overall pretty drinkable. The flavor and mouthfeel work well. Aroma needs some work.

09-15-2009 20:32:58 | More by AChamberlain
pmccallum86

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

Thanks to kbutler1 for bringing this treat back from CC.

Pours a golden color with a hazy cloudy body. The the head is thin and bubbly, looks inviting.

Lot's of cedar going on here, it's a very original smelling IPA. Tangerine, citrus and other hoppy notes.

Bitter with some woody notes, must be the cedar. Tons of cedar, not much malt present. Lots of cirtrusy hops, maybe some grapefruit as well. This is a very original IPA, that's for sure.

Medium carbonation, bitterness lingers in the tongue.

This beer was great to try, but I found it to be lacking in the drinkability department.

03-24-2010 22:12:55 | More by pmccallum86
fmccormi

3.56/5  rDev -12.3%

Straight pour from a 12oz pry-off bottle to a teku; bottling date of November 7, 2013 printed in some sort of dark-ish ink on the shoulder of the bottle (“Bottled on 11/07/13”), making this bottle a week old on the date of consumption. Yep, one week. Huzzah for freshness.

Appearance (4.25): Sure is an attractive beer: a good two fingers milk-white foam rises off of the pour, capping a rich orange-amber body with a moderate chill haze. The head shows decent retention, dying down relatively slowly and leaving a thick collar and thin film at the surface. A few nice splotches and thick legs here and there.

Smell (3.25): This is quiiite a unique aroma—honestly not sure what to make of it at first. Must be the cedar? There’s an herbal-spicy scent that’s almost sulfurous, but a little woody and spicy like mustard, almost (though that side of it is lighter). Some fruity, slightly resinous hops underneath it, but the aroma really is dominated by what must be the cedar. To be fair, the fruity hops come in to balance out the cedar a bit more as it warms.

Taste (3.5): Following the aroma at first, with that funky, at turns sulfurous cedar, but the hops character is much clearer and more prominent here: that weird, woody-botanical tang accompanied by a bit of spiciness, sitting next to a juicy citrus component with sweet red grapefruit, some of the melony richness of papaya, and then a moderately sharp red grapefruit bitterness in the close, as the beer finishes crisp and dry. Some of the slightly spicy, woody-botanical cedar character (which I recognize now is unmistakeable) permeates every aspect of the flavor, from start to finish. Is there malt in here? Yeah, I suppose so. A little rich peasant bread and toasted wheat bread underneath the hops and melding with the cedar. Certainly is unique.

Mouthfeel (4.25): Smooth bodied, a slightly oily just-under-medium-weight, with a moderately velvety carbonation that foams easily but subtly, dies out before too long, and washes down cleanly with a dry, but not parching or astringent, finish. No booze at all.

Overall (3.5): So, the base beer here is killer—Jai Alai is always on point and an absolute joy to drink. The cedar aging adds a very unique dimension to it, though, which is impossible to ignore because it is front and center. It also mutes/covers up some of the hoppiness that makes Jai Alai so damn good, too, but not entirely. So, basically, in the end what you have here is a very solid IPA with an extremely unique treatment that has the potential to be very polarizing. I’m on the fence about how I feel about it, in the end, but I’m glad I’ve tried it. In the future, though, I’ll probably just stick to Jai Alai.

11-15-2013 02:21:17 | More by fmccormi
pwoods

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Thanks Ftown for sharing. Murky light iced tea color. Godd head. Lots of peppery spice and sharp citrus. Cedar is soft in the back. Taste is a bit more subtle but good spice and citrus. Average bitterness. Moderate malt to balance. Good body and drinks decently.

09-12-2009 02:20:36 | More by pwoods
FtownThrowDown

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a cloudy amber in color. Nice inch of frothy head forms on the pour.
Smell is spicy hops, just a hint of cedar. Taste is a nice balance between the hop flavors and the cedar. There's not as much cedar in this beer as I was expecting. The 100k + OT #2 had a lot more cedar in the flavor.
Medium to full on the mouthfeel. Very easy drinking beer that you could easily drink a bunch of. Would have loved to try this on draft.

09-12-2009 17:49:35 | More by FtownThrowDown
BrownNut

Tulip from a 750

How do you rate a beer that is very interesting, but not necessarily in a gustatively pleasing or coherent way? In a nutshell I feel like this was a bold try that didn't quite work. I'm glad they tried it and I'm glad I tried it but having noted and appreciated its unique impact, I would not buy it again. It's a thinker.

A - Cloudy dark orange with a bright white head that dies down but keeps replenishing itself for a while. Tons of lacing. I kind of don't care how a beer looks and don't really care about style guidelines, but in trying to be a team player I was about to rate this down because it was cloudy and I didn't feel like it should be. But I just read the BJCP guidelines for the style, which said in part, "Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy." As this is unfiltered and bottle fermented, let's don't rate down its appearance for that. Nice color, nice head, nice bubble action.

S - Sharp cedar mixed with fresh citrus mixed with malty caramel sweet. The cedar comes across initially spicy, which is welcome until the cedarness of it kicks in. I can't help but be reminded of the cedar shavings in my elementary school gerbil cage, which was usually mixed with gerbil pee smell, which is an (admittedly subjective) association I don't want to get from a beer. Yet at the same time there is something sort of refined about it, reminding me of a cigar humidor as the series name implies. These three aroma notes aren't bad but don't quite come together harmoniously for me. I bet a different wood would do better here. I'd like to try oak, maybe in the form of a cognac barrel. Citrus + caramel + oak-aged cognac would be like a cognac long drink. You're welcome.

T - The cedar dominates the taste and the aftertaste. Everything else is happening beneath that. It's hard to consider those things without the cedar note because it refuses to yield center stage even for a moment. Late in the 750 I'm getting substantial booze breath, like when you wake up the next day after a college keg party for an 8-o'clock class and are still exhaling straight alcohol and people are like damn, what did you get up to last night? The guy two reviews ago mentions grapefruit. Interesting, I can kind of see what he means now. The combination of processed grain alcohol breath with cedar does kind of combine to form a grapefruit effect. Feels a little like gin and tonic breath, which is on the border between maturely refined and Oh No I'm An Alcoholic.

M - Smooth and soft. At first it was ending a little sticky, but towards the end, I guess having stripped all the native mucus away, it was ending with a hint of that dry tongue abrasion, sort of like you'd licked a block of cedar. The last reviewer mentioned that his foamed over when he opened it. While mine was well carbonated and had lots of action in the glass to keep replenishing the head for a while (then dying out), mine did not foam over upon opening like his, so maybe that was an anomaly.

O - My whole goal of beer exploring is to find interesting beers, and in that respect this one really delivers. I've never had anything like this and I say it's worth your while to try it. Yet while interesting and different and memorable, this beer tells me I don't want beer aged on cedar. It still manages to be pretty decent aside from the cedar, so I'll want to track down their un-aged Jai Alai. I bet it's nice. I feel like if I hadn't had that gerbil cage for all those years, cedar would make a different and better impression on me, because its spice notes add a really interesting layer of complexity and exciting flavor. It kind of makes you want food or a sauce flavored with those initial spicy notes, like maybe a curry. Hop on that, India, and call me when you've got something. Cedar-smoked lamb korma curry. There it is.

My smell, taste, and overall scores represent the average between how much I appreciate the originality of the attempt and how not-quite-right I perceive the result. If there were an originality category I'd give them a 5.

04-23-2012 02:03:54 | More by BrownNut
zeff80

Missouri

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

A - Poured out a clear, orange color with golden highlights. It had a small, white head of foam that left some nice rings of lace.

S - It smelled of cedar and citrus - mostly orange. There are some hidden notes of caramel, too.

T - Lots of spicy flavor and lots of cedar flavor, maybe too much cedar. The caramel and malt is mild and sweet.

M - Very crisp and sharp. A smooth finishing ale that is medium bodied.

D - I've only had a handful of cedar aged beers, but this one was a little too strong on the cedar.

08-01-2010 03:37:47 | More by zeff80
BARFLYB

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Picked up a bottle of this on the cheap at whole foods in plymouth meeting, poured into a Penn Pilsner pint glass.

Jai Alai cedar pours out the standard orangeish infused with light red color and some creamy egg colored foam on top, small lacing. Smells like Jai Alai, I guess the cedar really is not all that prevalent. The wood is there, it just does not break through the east coast malt build. Some small citrus in the nose with grapefruit, I guess the hops died down when this was aging on the cedar. It tastes like Jai Alai as well, I thought I was drinking the regular version because the wood is not big. Grapefruit and a dash of pine with minimal wood. Feel is medium and bulky, drinkability is hindered, not a huge fan off this. They should do a double cedar aged version of this

09-06-2010 13:51:34 | More by BARFLYB
korguy123

Ontario (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

750ml into tulip. Thanks to TheSevenDuffs.

A- Cloudy burnt orange/peach colored pour. Two finger eggshell head that quickly disappears leaving a thin cap. Lacing is spotty.

S- Very first thing is the cedar. Humidor, ceder chest or even those cedar pucks people put in their sock drawer. Floral hops with a sweet citrus note fall short. As per Marcus this isn't a very fresh bottle.

T- Floral hop bite with aromatic cedar following close behind. There is a sweet malt and juicy citrus before the cedar comes back and dries your mouth out.

M- Medium bodied, juicy up front long dry finish.

O- Cedar while wonderful to smell isnt my first thought for a wood aged beer. It's different to say the least. Not for the good or bad. Just different.

11-19-2011 01:11:36 | More by korguy123