1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 865 | Reviews: 447 | Show All Ratings:
gwguest

Kansas

via trade with BastionShaw

Poured from a 750ml into Boulevard Smokestack Goblet. Unsure of freshness as I did not see a freshness date. I didn't expect too much from this as it had pegged my 'over-hype' meter into the danger zone.

The aroma from across the room -- as I did not pour this myself -- was unreal. A nice combination of hops and 'weird' wood (cedar) in the nose. Not a typical crazy west coast hop aroma, which was a welcome surprise.

Visually, it is a nice looking beer, but nothing too special. The pour was good, but the head didn't make a lasting impression. Amber color with a delicate off white foam.

Wow, there is a lot going on when this beer hits the tongue. The combination of the cedar -- which I dislike in some other beers -- with whatever else is happening here gives a very tannic, tobacco-like sensation. It almost feels like a gimmick coming from a brewery named 'Cigar City', but it's so different from any other beer I have tasted, that I can't help but want more. A tempered, but sturdy, hop flavor balances the cedar perfectly. The malt is just enough to provide some structure, but I could use a smidge more. Flavor wise, this is one of the more interesting beers, I've tasted. I really enjoy this beer.

Mouthfeel is spot on for what I need out of a wood aged IPA. Enough carbonation to scrub with enough body to keep it from becoming a hot cedar mess. It's perfect for what this beer needs.

Drinkability: Well, as much as I love this beer, it's not the most drinkable bottle in the bunch. I split the 750 with one person, and it was almost too much. After every taste, I let go of my glass while the 'tannic' woody flavors took hold. I really wanted more, but I needed a quick break after every pull. Alcohol is completely hidden, but the cedar / tobacco balance really dries the mouth. Split 3 ways, I would be clamoring for more, but 2 ways was almost more than I wanted.

Overall, I would love to have another bottle of this. Actually, I'd love 2. One to cellar away (yes, the heresy!!!) to see how the hops and cedar play over the years, and another to drink soon.

This is a great beer. The hype may be overblown, but not by much. You should try it at least once. I'd like to have more.

10-30-2010 02:20:26 | More by gwguest
Mosley1212

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from the bomber into my Dogfish Head snifter. The bottle design looks different, but I think this is the same beer.

A--Pours a vibrant orange that's on the darker end of the color scale. It poured with about an inch of pour a creamy white foam head. That hung around for a bit, then left. Good retention on the glass though.

S--Hops, floral notes, grass, orange, grapefruits, and with a cedar finish. Interesting. I've never had a cedar aged beer, this is a nice touch to a beer.

T--Hops first and foremost. Then a wave of grass and fruit hits you. This beer is not as citrusy as some of the other IPAs on the market, but it's a great flavor. Very well done. I also like the little hint of cedar that you get as a finish, it's a nice touch.

M--Light, clean, and crisp. Definitely not what you would normally get from an IPA. The cedar really mellows this beer out.

D--Very, very high. Not that high of an alcohol content, and you certainly don't get very much alcohol flavor in the taste. Honestly, this would be one of the best IPAs I have ever had.

12-10-2010 02:13:04 | More by Mosley1212
grover37

District of Columbia

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750ml magnum bottle, bought from the brewery for $9, poured into a small snifter.

Appearance: Dark-orange, ruby red-ish color with a light tan head. A quarter inch of tight foam reduces to a thin, spotty layer within a couple minutes. Not completely clear, but not cloudy either. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Cedar is very prominent but mixes well with the sweet, resinous, citrusy hop aroma. A bit of caramel maltiness comes through the wood upon subsequent whiffs. A very complementary mix of wood and hops which usually doesn't work for me.

Taste: Appropriately tastes like what you smell in a humidor but not overwhelmingly so. A bit of muted vanilla in the middle and a lingering pine/fir flavor from the mix of cedar and West-Coast hops (at least some Centennial I assume) in the finish. A slightly sweet caramel flavor is present throughout and is well balanced by a decent amount of bitterness, although not enough IBUs to stand out among the other strong flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation. A smooth mouthfeel, aided by the cedar which also has a slightly drying effect in the back of the mouth after a while. The wood really lingers in a good way and mixes with the caramel sweetness which hangs around as well.

Drinkability: Not a session beer with all these big flavors, but it really hides the alcohol well. I probably could have drank the whole bottle even though I split it; I'll be back for more as this is a completely different beer than the straight-up Jai Alai.

12-23-2010 02:12:27 | More by grover37
cpmichael

Indiana

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into a Stone RIS Snifter.

A: Pours a nice orange/peach color. A decent amount of carbonation. 1 inch white foam.

S: On the citrusy side along with a detectable hint of cedar, as the beer warmed up it began to smell like a fresh bag of weed. The nose was great for nostalgia.

T: Tangerine with the piney hop bitterness to it. Cedar flavor is noticeable, very balanced though. It has a fresh wood feeling that a lot of the other wood aged beers do not get. It adds a nice character to the beer.

M/D: The carbonation is pretty high on this beer. It was absolutely delicious and very interesting as IPA's go. I really enjoyed the unique character this beer had. It was like every other IPA out there and it worked very well. I will be seeking this out again.

04-04-2011 15:01:20 | More by cpmichael
LiquidBread219

Indiana

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

A - pours an orangish copper with a really creamy head

S - smells of sweet grapefruit and citrus hops and sweet cedar

T - starts off with some sweet citrusy and grapefruit hops. Buried beneath the hops are some caramel malts. Ends with a spicy, woodsy, cedary flavor from the cedar aging. Tastes how a cigar box smells. Really nice.

M - good body that finishes extremely dry.

D - after this guy warmed up it became a really delicious beer. The cedar helped compliment the hops and added a new dimension to an already delicious beer. Worth the price tag, maybe; worth trying, definitely.

05-21-2011 18:17:27 | More by LiquidBread219
dukedevil0

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Got this 750mL from Gtreid in a recent LIF, thanks so much for the generosity! Cracked this open for new beer Saturday with Alex and Dave (MasterSki and d0b).

A: Pours a hazy orangey amber with just off-white colored head and lots of lacing on the glass.

S: Smells like tons of orange, grapefruity hops, citrus, pine, light cedar, earthiness...smells great, but not as intense as I'd prefer

T: Lots of pine, grapefruit hoppiness, more cedar in the flavor, a nice amount of malt but still the hops win out, decent amount of bitterness in the finish

M: Really full bodied and well carbonated make this a really nice mouthfeel

D: Pretty highly drinkable, it feels like a bigger IPA, but it's still sessionable with the great flavor and you really don't pick up much alcohol if any.

07-18-2009 22:01:40 | More by dukedevil0
samie85

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Reviewed from notes; originally 6/15/10.

A-Pours a ruby-tinged amber with a 2.5 finger glistening white head, and leaves a sticky, thick lacing behind. This is a beautiful beer.

S-Pineapple, pine, a very obvious cedar component, spicy herbal, and a gentle earthiness to it.

T-Wow, cedar! Spicy cedar upfront with pine, grapefruit, and a dry, herbal, bitter finish. Very interesting taste profile.

M-Very smooth with very prickly, almost heavy carbonation. It's almost light bodied because of the carbonation.

D-This is a pretty unique beer. The cedar gets to be a little much near the end of a 750 ml bottle, so that knocks down the drinkability a notch for me. That being said, a very solid, very original beer. I love that that the hops are very discernible and mesh well with the cedar.

06-19-2010 20:00:21 | More by samie85
kagent777

Utah

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

I got this beer at the Tasting Room on a recent trip to Tampa. I poured into a goblet.

Appearance: A pleasant hazy light golden color with a head the settles after a short time. No lacing was left on my glass.

Smell: To me this does not smell like cedar from a humidor. I used to smoke cigars some time ago, but they got to expensive. Now my habit is craft beer, I am not sure which one is cheaper. :-)

I can smell the hop bitterness and I can sense a little of the alcohol booziness.

Taste: This is very delicious. All three characters, malt, hops, and cedar, intermingle nicely. The malt is able to stand up to the hoppiness, while they wait their turn and show up in the aftertaste. All the while the wood aging adds an interesting dimension, that is not present in the Jai Alai IPA.

Mouthfeel: Fine, carbonation and body are spot on. This beer is a bit slick or oily from the hops. Very nice.

Drinkability: Higher ABV and assertive flavors make this a bottle to share. That and I will not be able to get this except for trips to see family. I will definitely drink this one when I can, which will not be all that often.

12-26-2010 22:50:30 | More by kagent777
caddybuyer

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Thanks to Gabor the primo Penn Station beer man for this nugget which I can't find around here. Poured cold from a capped 750 into a pint glass.

A-Mostly clear bright copper with a thick creamy eggshell head. Enticing looking brew.

S-Wow...the cedar really packs a punch in the nose, think of raw cut cedar and you get the idea. Caramel malts and some earthy hops are also present in the nose.

T-Intitial sweet caramel malts immediately give way to robust citrus hops that are utterly infused with cedar. Now I have no idea what cedar tastes like, but I'm tasting the smell for sure. The cedar seems to flatten the citric nature of the hops and adds its own unique lingering finish, with the bittering hops lasting well through the end of the tongue numbing palate. Some fellow BA's have tried this and say the cedar is overpowering, and I can sort of get that, but to me, it adds a refreshing level of complexity to an IPA (and admittedly, I've never tried the regular Jai Alai) that I find both refreshing and delicious.

M-Well balanced carbonation, and creamy for the style. Spot on.

D-A standout in a field where it is really hard to produce something wonderful and unique. I will buy this again any time I can find it.

04-24-2011 23:45:55 | More by caddybuyer
byrdman16

Alabama

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Great beer. I got this from the only store in Alabama that sells beer in bottles greater than 16oz...weird huh? Poured a cloudy copper color. Had a huge creamy white head with spotty lacing. Cedar is all over the place, and is accompanied by citrus and earthy aromas. Great mouthfeel with a wonderful balance of sweet malty flavor up front followed by crisp hops. Nice beer, I will definitely be buying another if I'm lucky enough to come across it again.

06-18-2011 00:09:55 | More by byrdman16
larryi86

Delaware

750 mL poured into a snifter

A- A deep orange with a touch of amber and huge fluffy white head.

S- Grapefruit, pine, hops, some cedar. Grapefruit is more than just citrus hops, it is actually tart and acidic smelling like fresh squeezed grapefruit.

T- Cedar is really big, grapefruit in the middle has a nice tartness, nice hoppy bitterness finish. Really tasty.

M- Smooth, medium body, refreshing.

O- This is a great easy to drink IPA. The wood taste works really well, enjoy the tartness a lot. I enjoyed regular Jai Ahia, but this is better. I can't wait to drink more.

08-15-2011 02:38:05 | More by larryi86
olimpia84

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Had this on my visit to Cigar City. Served in a pint glass.

A: darkish orange color, a bit opaque. Very small head that managed to stay for quite a while. Good lacing.

S: cedar, pines, oak, hints of herbal and citric notes. Very nice but this smell wasn't as strong as the regular bottled Jai Alai IPA I've tried previously which I thought it was a bit weird.

T: follows the nose with a woody taste, hops, citric hints, a touch of spicyness as well that doesn't get in the way. Everything is very balanced, nothing offensive. Amazing taste for an IPA.

M: medium carbonation. Finishes off excellently and smoothly; goes down well for being an IPA.

O: no wonder this is one of Cigar City's award winning beers. If you are into IPAs this is a must-have. Heck, even if you're not a big IPA fan (like myself) you should definitely try this amazing beer.

08-27-2011 13:49:37 | More by olimpia84
trbergman

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a tulip. Thanks to urwithdave for the bottle.

A - Pours a bright amber-orange with three fingers of pillowy beige foam. With each sip, the beer deposits another intricate strand of lace.

S - Toffee, pine and herbal hop aroma, cedar.

T - Tastes of toffee and black tea with white pepper and a very dry, leafy hop flavor. Cedar adds a very welcome note of wood and a dry spiciness that's an interesting departure from the usual oak. Bitterness is only a bit on the high side but is accentuated by the slight, tea-like astringency. The finish is quite dry, with a lingering, citrus-pith flavor and bitterness.

M - Light body for the style, dry and a bit puckering. Good carbonation.

D - This is a unique - to my knowledge - take on the American IPA and a thoroughly enjoyable one at that. Great flavor without being too heavy, boozy, or over-the-top hoppy. Well done, Cigar City!

03-23-2010 03:29:27 | More by trbergman
Freethyhops

Alabama

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle supplied as an extra by a generous Florida BA having side by side with the regular jai-alai.

a- we've got a gusher. it didn't stop at that though. the hazy orange liquid produced a massive amount of head. nice lacing, too.

s- compared to the regular IPA this literally almost smells like wood-chips at first. the IPA is under there though. citrus and caramel malt are most prevelent. slightly floral as well. the cedar may be a bit heavy but it's not off putting at all.

t- the woodiness from the cedar is still obvious but it doesn't cover up the IPA base nearly as much as in the aroma. it melds very well with the big caramel malt flavors. some floral and citric hop bitterness. slightly biscuit-like. a great balanced IPA taking advantage of a large malt profile to make a very good IPA.

m- very full bodied for the style. plenty of carbo. a bit of stickiness.

d- goes down as easy as any I can think of and packs a punch at 7.5%. I'd definitely have again I see it anywhere

04-11-2010 05:52:19 | More by Freethyhops
GbVDave

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet.

A: Pours a relatively clear, autumn-orange color with about 2 1/2 fingers of creamy and bubbly, light tan foam on top. Retention was fleeting but the ropey lacing left behind was gorgeous. The second pour was incredibly thick and murky looking...almost like mango nectar.

S: The very first whiff I took of this from the bottle had a noticable cedar hope chest/cigar box type aroma that faded quickly. What emerged after that was mango, papaya, pineapple, toffee, clementine, pine bough, caramel, and tangerine.

T: Just like above with more of a cedar presence. I really liked how citrus and tropical fruit forward this was. Slight alcohol flavor becomes apparant as it comes up to temp. When it came time to pour the second half of the bottle, I made sure to swirl all of the sediment and get it into my glass. This netted me a TON of spicy cedar flavor.

M: Big juicy and sticky tropical fruit blend very nicely with spicy cedar, and prickly citrus and pine. Finishes with more than a hint of solvent alcohol. Second pour (with all the sediment) was spicy to the point of heavy astringency.

D: I think this would've scored maybe half a point higher if it weren't for the obvious alcohol presence. This is supposedly only packing 7.5% abv, but feels much higher. Other than that, this is a stellar AIPA!

06-23-2010 23:18:51 | More by GbVDave
BarrytheBear

Wisconsin

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big boy magnum bottle via milwaukeeclassic via an in-person trade at Darkness Day. Thanks again, Duane.

Murky orange unfiltered pour with a boatload of sticky lacing and cling.

Massive pepper on the nose overrides any major elements from the base. Underlying sweetness is subtle and cannot overcome the condimental pepper slap. While not IPA-ish, it's enjoyable but one-dimensional.

Cedar becomes evident right away and pepper rides hard. Underlying IPA base presents sweet and the hops are mostly muted and mild. Not sure I would peg this as an IPA without prior knowledge, but it's quite good.

Carbonation is a bit high while the cedar aging leaves the finish dry while the hops juiciness pushes hard against the dryness. Funny how the hops seem to showcase themselves best in the mouthfeel and not in the taste. Not sure that makes sense as it confounds me a bit as well, but damn it if I don't feel it.

Good, enjoyable, surprising, drinkable. Those are four words I enjoy.

11-21-2010 00:05:23 | More by BarrytheBear
philbe311

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Jai Lai has become one of my favorite IPAs, so without doubt I'm quite eager to pop this one open...

A - A beautiful cascading pour... Three fingers of rich creamy slightly rocky light khaki colored head that is intertwined with some large chunky bubbles... Excellent retention... Loaded with small bubbled carbonation starts slow and builds to a quick pace as it rises to the top of the glass... Loads of lacing cling to the sides of the glass... The color is a slightly bronzed orange...

S - Bright ripe oranges and red grapefruit are at the forefront... Also present are the cedar notes which are reminiscent of an empty cigar box... The interplay between the citrus and cedar is remarkable... Also present are some bready malt undertones and a tinge of spiciness...

T - Bursting with flavor... Citrus dominated by oranges, the cedar, and bready malts come together and assault the pallete right of the bat... Wonderful depth and complexity... The cedar and grapefruit compete for supremacy on the aftertaste as both linger for a while... Ultimately the grapefruit wins...

M - Medium bodied... Lush... Slightly creamy... Remarkably engaging... Refreshing... Very light carbonation on the tongue... Juicy most of the way but turns a tad dry on the finish...

D - I believe this was the first cedar aged beer that I've ever tried and I walk way impressed... The cedar adds layers of depth and complexity in terms of aroma, taste, and overall drinkability... I would gladly drink this when given the opportunity and look forward to trying additional cedar aged offerings from Cigar City and others... A job well done...

12-19-2010 20:30:09 | More by philbe311
jonB

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%

The smell of this one is intriguing. It smells slightly sweet, but with noticeable hoppiness. The hops wind up tasting very smooth and their citrus flavor evens out the wood perfectly. I was expecting more of a sharp taste or smell of cedar, but the balance of floral hops and subtle woodiness is very nice. This beer leaves a nice foam on the side of the glass and is well carbonated. The combination of which is a perfect full body mouth feel. Great beer.

12-28-2010 23:59:08 | More by jonB
silverking

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Hazy amber with suspended particles, lots of them. IT has a fluffy light tan head with excellent retention and lacing.

S- Grapefruit and spicy cedar dominate the nose. The cedar also lends a delicate sweet aroma to the mix. A small amount of malt is detectable.

T- Grapefruit and citrus rind. The finish is long and shows excellent notes of cedar with a light malt presence. It's a spicy/woody treat.

M- Medium bodied with light carbonation. Silky, smooth, very easy going down.

O- The cedar does wonderful things when combined with an already wonderful IPA.

03-23-2013 17:21:29 | More by silverking
facundoCNB

4.41/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

a hazy orange in color with a finger of head (great retention). smells of cedar... wooooah boy does this smell of cedar, and oh man do i fucking love the smell of cedar! as with cedar, it has an almost cinnammon spice note to it, there is a caramel aroma as well, but let's not kid around, this smells like straight up cedar. oh fuck yes, the flavor.. it's overpowered by cedar as well! lots of bittering hops work so darn well with this wood, a nice caramel malty body.. this is excellent. i feel i may be a bit biased due to the wood, but man this is fucking delicious. medium body with low carbonation.

if you are a carpenter or have ever worked construction, you will appreciate the hell out of this beer. cedar is one of the most irritable woods out there, but as well it is one of the most awesome smelling woods. this is pretty much their jai alai (one of my favorite ipa's) aged with cedar spirals (my favorite wood).. how the fuck do you expect me not to love it??!

09-01-2013 01:13:39 | More by facundoCNB
tpd975

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Copper colored with pillowy cream colored head. Nice retention and lace.

S: Same great hoppiness of the standard Jai Alai. Lots of nice pine with intermingling grass and citrus. Strong notes of spicy cedar can be picked up as well. A real nice fruity aroma as well that reminds me of fruity pebbles.

T: Love how the cedar plays off the hops. If you had not had the regular Jai Alai you would think it is rye or a herbal hop. It's not its the cedar and boy does it work. Of course it is backed up by ample amounts of malt and lots of grass and citrus. The finish is bold and sweet. Nice orange with hints of pineapple. Really top notch, can't wait for the bottle release.

M: Medium in body, nice and smooth.

D: Very tasty, I love what the cedar does to this already tasty IPA.

05-26-2009 20:01:04 | More by tpd975
cjgator3

750ml bottle

A- 750ml bottle poured into a snifter. Pours a dark hazy amber color with a huge off-white head that provides amazing retention and lacing. Cigar City sure knows how to make fantastic looking brews in the glass!

S- The aroma is a bit of malt with a good dose of fresh citrusy hops. There is also a very small presence from the cedar. It is subtle, but it goes awesome with the beer.

T- The taste like the aroma has a small malt backbone that quickly gives way to an explosion of bitter hop flavors in the finish. Like the aroma, the subtle cedar notes are very well placed.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a perfect amount of carbonation.

D- Cigar City has done it again with another fabulous beer! I was a huge fan of the regular Jai Alai on tap so I was very excited to hear that they were releasing a Cedar Aged version. It was well worth the wait, what a fantastic beer! Highly Recommended!

07-11-2009 04:33:47 | More by cjgator3
indiapaleale

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Pour - nice bright orange color with some bubble streaming north leaving a decent sized head. Looks very much like a good IPA should look.

Aroma - a good whiff of this is all you need to realize you've stumbled upon a rather incomparable smelling beer. This is peppery up front from the toasted Spanish cedar and has a lot of floral hop aroma as well. I also get some pipe tobacco, brown sugar and citrus. That peppery aroma from the cedar is absolutely fantastic.

Taste - wow. just wow. Once that first sip floods your mouth you know this is something very special. The flavors of the cedar are peppery and spicy along with tastes I've rarely come across in the world of beer. Perhaps a bit like scotch or tequila perhaps a littler herbal or smokey. I am really not sure how to describe them and that just adds to the mystique of this beer. Beneath all the amazement from the cedar is a very solid IPA with great floral hop flavors as well as some grapefruit and tropical fruits.

Overall - Another great beer from Cigar City and I've only just begun to try them all. Everything melds so well with this beer it really is a very commendable (and gold medal worthy) accomplishment. This could quite be one of the most unique beers I've ever had as well as one of the best.

Would I buy more of it? - absolutely, positively without a doubt. The first time I tried this I had it on tap at Rattle N Hum in NYC and it was $10 a pint and worth every penny.

02-21-2010 04:56:52 | More by indiapaleale
ryanonline

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

hazy orange color with a big white creamy head thick and sticky lacing.

floral notes, strong cedar, and citrus. maybe a little apricot.

taste is the same but much more dry, and even has a little funk to it.

mouthfeel is lightly carbonated and very creamy with a medium body.

very light and not too filing, the flavor does not coat your palete. high drinkability.

quite a good beer and i could see this going well with a nice cedary stogie.

05-11-2010 02:42:05 | More by ryanonline
321jeff

Maryland

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a cloudy amber with a white head that slowly recedes to a thin layer and a healthy ring leaving some nice sticky lacing.

Aroma is very nice with some light citrus hop notes and lots of fresh wood with some hints of mustiness.

Taste starts off with some sweet citrus hops and moves on to lots of dry fresh wood and finishes with some bready malts.

Medium in body with a good amount of prickly carbonation. It's an interesting take on an IPA, the cedar really works well with the hops and I look forward to trying this one again sometime.

01-24-2011 01:50:59 | More by 321jeff