Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009

2.44/5  rDev -39.5%

A murky brown pour contrasts with a vibrant white foam. Legs cling a little to the glass sides. The nose is a woody bittering hop. I'm not really good at distinguishing hops, but smell seems Saez or Czech, or Hallertau, or maybe even Willamette. Are these even accurate? Point is, the hops I do smell really aren't like the delicious Simcoe or Cascade or Centennial that I was expecting...and certainly no Citra. I detect only like bitterness hops, and that's a tad disappointing.

It tastes better than it smells, but not as good as it looks--not as good as the cool-looking bottle and label suggest, and definitely far short of the hoopla I've encountered surrounding CC Brewery. I'll try not to let my let-down overly contaminate my review here, but this beer is not that impressive. It's not that it's too malty; it's that the hops/ingredients seem inferior! [Edit: maybe it's the cedar?!?!?]. I think beers in big bottles--particularly 750s--should taste better than their 12oz peers. Though I bought both at the same time and place, this is my second such beer. For me, it's the hops in this IPA that just aren't that good.

The feel is also lacking. Though bittering hops seem to dominate, there is no enamel-ripping or cool-like bittering feel. It's beers like this that make me wonder if my palate is suffering! :-0 It's also dark-ass pale ales like this that remind me that I hate Irish reds. This is what the beer most reminds me of. It's not even Thanksgiving yet, but oh how I want a Hopslam....

Edit: after reading other reviews, maybe it's the cedar wood that I found overwhelming and off-putting. For me, it totally masked any citrus or grapefruit (interestingly, the wifey picked up some grapefruit...but she likes the wood more than me ;-). As for a comparison to Burton Baton, I guess I've concluded I like oak better than cedar.

3.68/5  rDev -8.7%

Thanks to sergfl for this one. 750ml poured into a Duvel tulip at fridge temp. Bottle dated June 14.

A. Nice golden orange body,with a thick two finger offwhite fluffy head. Lacing stuck all over.

S. Tons of cedar, it is the dominant smell. I get some faint piney hops along with a little peach.

T. Upfront I get the cedar, just like the nose. I think it works well with the piney hops. Not getting to much more.

M. Good creamy,smooth medium feel,with perfect carbonation. Bitter,dry finish.

Overall this is a solid beer that benifits from the cedar. It really balences it out. Well done. Makes it very interesting and differant.

4.37/5  rDev +8.4%

Cigar City Cedar Aged IPA, Humidor Series. Bottle bought at Whole Foods in NYC for $9.95. Bottle says only "H" and "Humidor Series", but no mention of Jai Alai, so it took me a bit to find the proper entry here.

Appearance: Again, as with Marshall, carbonation issues. Pops loudly, spills, huge head. What gives, CCB?? Three fingers of lily-white head that lasts and leaves major lacing. Color is a hazy copper, like a dirty saison.

Smell: The nose is truly exceptional, whether you like it or not. There's nothing like it! The cedar is strong, fragrant, aromatic. Reminds me of walking through a pine forest or a prairie full of lavender and other herbs. Pine needles, citrus, dry sweetness... a whole word of aromas.

Taste: More of the same, with that cedar ever present, but not as exciting as the nose. Spice, pine, tropical fruit. Candied orange, chewing gum. A tad of wood, but not quite like other aged IPA's (Burton Baton, for example).

Mouthfeel: Persistent, dry and spicy at the end. Sort of creamy, definitely well-rounded and full-bodied despite a somewhat lacking carbonation (surprising considering the initial issues).

Overall: Quite a unique beer that I'm sure has got as many fans as it has detractors. I was surprised at first, then warmed up to it and enjoyed. The aroma is fantastic, and the cedar works well with the IPA base. At $10 per bomber, though, not sure I will go back to it... Marshall is my fav!

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a 750 into a belgian beer goblet. Beer pours a delightful tan with one finger head which recedes into a patchy lace. Smells of cedar, caramel, and aged hops. Tastes of cedar almost like an old cedar chest that is warm and inviting. Followed by caramel and almost the slightest touch of a cigar. Later after the pour I enjoyed this beer with a mellow cigar and the two paired perfectly. The mouthfeel is good, nicely carbonated and a bit drying at the finish which comes to be very enjoyable and has me anticipating it in every sip. Overall I like this beer and find it to be a comforting, sit down and relax brew. As I have only had oak aged ipa's before this, and this beer is right up my alley. Many who enjoy wood aged ipa's will enjoy this beer quite a bit. First I've had of cigar city's beers and it is a winner.

4.23/5  rDev +5%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a pint glass. FINALLY, I get to drink this from a bottle. I had this on tap during a Cigar City event at Capone's during Philly Beer Week, but wasn't reviewing at the time. The first bottle I got in trade, I busted. :( So alas, I finally get to do this.

Beer pours a very murky golden-orange. Nearly opaque, which is odd for a beer that's not black (stout, etc). The head on this is voluminous, especially when pouring down the center. Very thick and creamy. Resembles the top of a rootbeer float. Head has serious staying power and provides copious amounts of lacing as it receded down the glass. The nose is heavy on the cedar. Not surprising considering it's the big draw. Usually I notice notice any maltiness in an IPA on the back end of a sip, and in the aftertaste. However, it's right in your face in the nose of this beer. The taste is a wonderful combination of hoppiness, cedar, and that maltiness I spoke of. I would prefer a little more hope and cedar, and a bit less maltiness, however. The mouthfeel is a bit smoky, with a good bit of bitterness. The malty overtones of this beer persist from the nose, straight through to the finish. Overall, this is a fabulous twist to the stock Jai Alai. Each taste is a sip of beer and a draw from a cigar at the same time. Nice treat. Glad I have 2 more in the fridge.

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

Pours a hazy orange with a one finger head. Not quite opaque and I do not see any chunks of yeast. I smell cedar first and foremost followed by grapefruit and mango. Incredible aroma. The taste is perfect. The cedar hits first and then morphs into a nice grapefruit and mango combo that leaves a semi-dry finish. The mouthfeel is like silk. The carbonation is light to medium. Drinkability is OK, but I can finish the bottle myself due to how good this beer really is. Overall, the most complex IPA I have had to date. This is definitely not for everyone, but it is definitely a must try for any IPA fan. Very unique and finally an extreme beer that Sam hasn't thought of. A must try!

1.5/5  rDev -62.8%

Split the 750 with a buddy.

Pours a red tinged orange with a massive 2 finger head leaving great lacing down the glass.

Smells very sweet with overpowering cedar and tobacco.

Starts off with a little hop kick. Fades into a sweet malt. Taste is like I'm chewing on a plank of cedar. There is no subtleness at all to this. Cedar and tobacco overpower everything and it's a disgusting mess.
As my friend put it, "It's like they made a normal beer and dumped half a Cuban in it."

Mouthfeel is a bit sticky with medium carbonation. The thickness I would enjoy more in a barleywine, not an IPA.

Really wanted to like this one, but we both found it undrinkable and down the drain it went. Very unpleasant aftertaste. Quite possibly the worst beer I've ever consumed.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

Thanks to a buddy in FL for trading this and some others for some FFF's I had. My 1st ever Cigar City offering.

A - Hazy Orange to tan, 1 inch creamy head. Nice Lacing, good retention

S - Lots going on. Earthy, malts, some wood scents, grapefruit caramel/toffee, nothing really outdoing the other. Really nice aromas

T - Hops, balanced nicely with malts, some sweetness going on (Vanilla?), finishes crips, lingers a bit, but not too long

M - Pretty good, a touch dry but not bad.

O - Solid brew, would much like to try some other Jai Alai offerings.

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

Shared 4 ways at a home tasting tonight.

A: golden/amber with plenty of thick, white head. Decent retention, solid lace.

S: sweet grapefruit, cedar barrels, malts, hops, a touch earthy too.

T: definitely shares many similarities with normal Jai Alai. Hoppy with pine, sweet malt, and fruity grapefruits. Notes of cedar mix with the booze as it descends. Pretty good balance of flavors for a single IPA.

M: medium-bodied & creamy. Feels under-carbonated, but no complaints here!

D: I'm not an IPA person (and I particularly dislike single IPAs), but I would happily split this bottle 2 ways next time instead of 4.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

750ml bottle poured into a Cigar City snifter. Bottle generously provided as an extra by thagr81us, thanks Calton!

A - Pours a dark goldenrod color with flecks of amber within the deepest parts. About a finger's worth of cream-colored head with pretty good retention and a thick cap after it's gone. Lacing is nice as well, with long, cascading curtains of foam surrounding the glass.

S - The nose is rich and complex, bringing in deep aromas of the underlying IPA mixed with wood. You can almost smell the juiciness of the citrus, grapefruit, and pine from the hops, and the cedar serves as a way to balance that by adding a big dose of vanilla and a sawdust smell that is like sticking your head into a cedar chest. The malts are no strangers as well, contributing a nice caramel aroma.

T - The depth of this beer continues well into the flavor. At first, it seems rather malty, with a bold caramel sweetness and a slight toffee flavor. The wood definitely serves as the bridge between the malts and hops, with an aggressive cedar taste that is almost like sucking on a stave, but then the vanilla returns to help cut that. As in the nose, the finish is all hops, from the ripe citrus notes to the bitter finish.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately heavy-bodied with good carbonation. A bit syrupy at times, but the carbonation helps alleviate this a bit. Finish is long and bitter.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately high. Up to this point, Dogfish Head's Burton Baton has set the bar for me in terms of wood-aged IPAs, but this definitely makes it close. I would say this beer is a bit more complex than Burton, but is more bitter and the amount of cedar is like getting a face-full for sawdust, which isn't necessarily bad. I haven't had Burton in too long, but I faintly remember it being a bit more smooth. This is still a great beer though, and definitely in the top tier for it's style.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Medium orange/brown topped with a decently pronounced off white head which has good lacing.

Cedar wood, orange blossom, orange zest and a suggestion of caramel.

Cedar wood is present on the tongue and quite interesting. The wood adds a welcomed astringency which goes well with the bitter citrus flavors. The nose leads into the flavor of this directly, orange peel and orange blossom meet with a milky subtle caramel. There is a nice bitterness to sweet ratio and the flavors are nice and harmonious.

Pretty sticky for the style but not in a bad way (read as solidly medium body)

good stuff, the cedar is a new flavor for me in the style and I think it works quite well.I would note that there is a slightly odd funky note (infection?) which I have to say I don't dislike. All and all this is an interesting beer.

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

A - Poured from a growler into a beer mug. The color on this beer was a real nice amber, with very little head. I made two pours from this bottle though and on my second pour there was about a finger of head so I think it had more to do with my pour than the carbonation.

N - Real nice nice, not too overwhelming, but solid nose with your typical IPA notes.

T - Loved the malt/hoppy taste on this beer. Has a natural, earthy taste to it. It leaves a real nice feel that makes you want to take another swig.

O - Excellent IPA in my opinion. Doesn't have as much typical bitterness as you might expect from the American IPA's, but definitely feels more like what IPA's were originally meant to taste like.

4.09/5  rDev +1.5%

Usual orange to copper color with a white foamy head going on. Holy grandma's cedar chest-huge cedar aroma!!!! A great, almost "tangy" wood scent. Really well rounded aroma wise-enough of a hop backround going on as well. Solid malt and hops flavor with a very pronounced cedar taste. Lingering dryness I am assuming from the cedar. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel, again a lot of dryness in the finish. Very drinkable and enjoyable-the cedar may get to be too much in the long run but that could tend to be a personal preference. Nice twist on wood aged for sure. I would think you would want this as fresh as possible too.

4.53/5  rDev +12.4%

32 oz growler, from CCB draft room.
Poured into SN Snifter

A: 2 fingers creamy off white carbonated head, tight bubbles, leaves nice lacing on the sides of the glass. Appearance is similar to normal jai alai, ambery orange color, some nice bubbles on the bottom of the glass. Head stays around for a while, looks really really nice

S: Mango, Citrus, Pine, with a slight caramel and a full bodied bready malt smell emanate from the glass. slight alcohol is present. some slight woody, earthy notes are present.

T: Really sweet and malty upfront like honey, then a wave of delicious piney, citrusy, mangoey, pineappley hops comes crashing through. Finish is really really nice, nice and dry with a lingering sweet, earthy, vanilla-y wood taste from the cedar. Wow. there is a slight burn from the alcohol but it's well masked.

M: Full bodied, this one is a sipper but it is nice. The carbonation lingers and tickles your tastebuds. not too heavy, but on the heavy side for an IPA.

O: despite its (miiniscule) flaws, this is an amazing beer, you really can't ask for much more. Everyone praises DFH for experimentation but look no further for the king, than in florida at CCB, for their Firkin's and wood aged beers are some of the most flavorful, fun, and awesome beers I've ever tasted

Bottle sent by McDiddyPop , poured into a tulip.

Vermilion in color, hazed to near-opacity and topped with a dense head of cream-colored bubbles. The frothy cap descends quickly, but leaves behind wooly walls of lace as it does.

Good stuff. The juice of overripe oranges, honey, apple juice and a bit more citrus mixed, of course, with cedar. The wood is sooty, almost like tobacco smoke.

Nicely malty, with caramel offsetting the orange and grapefruit peel. The cedar here is more subdued and better blended with the hops, again lending flavors of smoked tobacco and smooth ash.

Gentle, massaging carbonation in a soft medium-light body. Some alcohol fumes come through the nose, but overall the booze blends well with the flavors.

I’m a fan of originality, and this beer is nothing if not original. A decent IPA made more alluring by Spanish cedar.

3.26/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours a red-tinged deep amber colour with lovely beige head that webs out into sparse patterns, retaining a great crown of small but visible bubbles. Bit of cloud in the body. Looks great.

Smell is very funky and spicy. Not a huge whiff of rank though, rather there's some fresh floral notes on there but largely an earthy blend of aniseed, lavender and a touch of chicken batter. Intriguing, could really be more complex, it's all a bit one-note.

Taste is quite dour; gravelly and spicy with a mostly earthy palate. Starts bitter with soil notes, gets some organic spice midway with steamed bok choy, fennel and black pepper. Slight fruity bitterness on the back reminiscent of late-addition hops, but not a lot. The cedar just subjugates the palate and it's quite astringent and unpleasantly spicy. It really needs toning down, I can't say I'm a big fan.

Not bad feel, goes down quite smooth but a bit empty as it goes through the mouth.

Not an everyday drinker; it's too bold and yet doesn't clean itself up by the end of the palate.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

A: crimson amber, very slightly hazy with a two finger head.

S: musty and pungent aroma with hop and floral notes. Cedar is more evident in the aroma than taste for me.

T: nice grassy and pine flavor which remains only mildly bitter through the flavor. Cedar notes but not to the extent I was hoping.

M: medium body and dry finish. moderate carbonation.

Overall: Easy to drink IPA. I was hoping for more cedar in the taste but its a nice addition to the aroma.

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for half of this beer

Review adapted from notes taken 6/4/11

Appearance: A robust, golden orange - nice lacing, head is kind of fluffy, kind of creamy

Smell: Absolutely REEKS of cedar - this smell reminds me of a chest that my parents use to store sweaters, and the result is complete olfactory confusion - after much contemplation, I have decided that I love this - aside from the cedar, the aroma has some nice pale, biscuity malts and some tropical fruits - some citrus, some pine

Taste: Really interesting, but really not that mind-blowing - nicely balanced hops and malts - sweet, biscuity but mostly pale malts - hops are the typical Jai Alai affair, juicy and tropical - a lot of grapefruit, sweet and bitter - the cedar works really well with this, adding what seems like additional bitterness and a tangy/tart hint

Mouthfeel: Medium body, very smooth, nicely carbonated

Overall: So weird, but so good

There are so many permutations of Jai Alai that keeping track is a challenge. This is the best one I've had thus far. At first the smell made me think that I shouldn't consume this liquid, but after I got over that, it was quite enjoyable.

3.73/5  rDev -7.4%

A: Yellow-brown clear pour with a wispy white head. Very bubbly.

S: Malts, cedar, oak all prominent. Hoppiness in the background. Doesn't specifically smell like an IPA.

T: The maltiness blend nicely with the cedar and oak flavors. The hops are there, and add a bit of fruit, but the hit of hops is small.

MF: Light body, carbonation is low. Alcohol is not noted at all.

O: This was a big strange. Not bad, certainly an interesting taste. Don't think I'd have it again.

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

Had this on my visit to Cigar City. Served in a pint glass.

A: darkish orange color, a bit opaque. Very small head that managed to stay for quite a while. Good lacing.

S: cedar, pines, oak, hints of herbal and citric notes. Very nice but this smell wasn't as strong as the regular bottled Jai Alai IPA I've tried previously which I thought it was a bit weird.

T: follows the nose with a woody taste, hops, citric hints, a touch of spicyness as well that doesn't get in the way. Everything is very balanced, nothing offensive. Amazing taste for an IPA.

M: medium carbonation. Finishes off excellently and smoothly; goes down well for being an IPA.

O: no wonder this is one of Cigar City's award winning beers. If you are into IPAs this is a must-have. Heck, even if you're not a big IPA fan (like myself) you should definitely try this amazing beer.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

750ml bottle poured into a pint glass. Big thanks to dimenhetfield for this one.

A: Very orange in color. Very slight haze. Huge three finger head, very rocky/fluffy, slightly off white in color. Decent retention and good lacing.

S: Big awesome Cedar aroma. Citrusy hops are light, but a little grapefruit and a little peach. Slight caramel backbone. An ashy, like wood ashes, aroma.

T: A slight citrus bitterness upfront. A good overall cedar taste. Very caramely from the middle to the finish. A slight woody aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied. Slightly creamy and slightly rough. Fairly dry. Medium carbonation.

O: Much better than the regular Jai Alai. Very nice Cedar flavors. Maybe the woodiest beer I've had. Oak really don't do it for me much. Would love this super fresh to get more hoppiness.

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

I believe this is my first beer from Florida. I hope I've picked a good one—certainly a cedar-aged IPA sounds great. The only other I've had is Kiuchi's Hitachino Nest Japanese Classic Ale, one of my very favourite beers.

This one pours pleasantly hazed and deep orange, with an enormous and frothy head of white-sand coloured foam. Lacing is magnificently anarchic. Body has a little weight behind it, but otherwise looks pretty fluid. Pretty gorgeous looking brew.

Nose is just phenomenal. Beautifully blended sharp, resiny cedar character realised with citric hops giving touches of lemon and underripe peach. The wood is the main event, but the cedar is such a lovely sharp (almost "hoppy") character that it's like just another extremely aromatic and fragrant hop variety itself. On top of this, the sheer strength of it is phenomenal.

Taste is a lot milder—the basis of malt is noticeable here, giving it a smoothness and a slight underlying caramel note. There are still hops, but not a lot of bitterness, just a cleansing vector through the centre. In some senses, it feels a little underhopped on the palate, just because the cedar gives such a powerful punch of resin and bite on the nose that you expect more.

Wow. There's no denying that this is a really, really lovely, refreshing and exceptionally drinkable brew. The characters are extremely intense, but they give such a lovely heady flavour and aroma to the brew.

Oh yes, I picked a good first Floridan beer. This is a sensational brew, and one that gives the JCA (remember, one of my favourite beers) a run for its money.

4.03/5  rDev 0%

Bottled 5/25/11; consumed 8/16/11

A - Pours clear orange with two fingers of beige head. Head has excellent retention and leaves some nice lacing.

S - Cedar is very noticeable in the nose, along with a wonderful citrus aroma and some noticeable caramel malt.

T - Similar to smell. Nice juicy citrus. At first taste, the cedar is almost overwhelming, especially on the finish, which is incredibly dry and full of tannins. The cedar really grew on me througout the glass. Like having a small cedar chip under my tongue.

M - medium mouthfeel with a very dry finish.

O - This definitely borders on too much wood character for my liking, but I really liked it. I've had few oak-aged IPAs that I didn't really care for, but the cedar was nice.

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

750 mL poured into a snifter

A- A deep orange with a touch of amber and huge fluffy white head.

S- Grapefruit, pine, hops, some cedar. Grapefruit is more than just citrus hops, it is actually tart and acidic smelling like fresh squeezed grapefruit.

T- Cedar is really big, grapefruit in the middle has a nice tartness, nice hoppy bitterness finish. Really tasty.

M- Smooth, medium body, refreshing.

O- This is a great easy to drink IPA. The wood taste works really well, enjoy the tartness a lot. I enjoyed regular Jai Ahia, but this is better. I can't wait to drink more.

3.53/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured a hazy yellow-orange with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, citrus, wood, and tobacco. The flavor was of sweet malt, citrus, citrus hop, wood, and tobacco. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. The tobacco aspect in this one really killed it for me unfortunately. I went into this one really wanting to like it, but couldn't bring myself to do so as much as I thought I would. However, the flavors from the Humidor was definitely transferred to the brew. Hope to get a chance to try more Humidor offerings that might fit in better based on style than the IPA.

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing