Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009)
2.98/5  rDev -26.4%

Chilled 750mL into a glass. A generous extra from Jw347. Thanks Johnathan!

A: Pours an extremely cloudy amber color that glows a diffuse orange against the light. Great-looking body that would be improved by some clarity. With some inspection I can see bubbles streaming up the glass. The pour results in 1.5 fingers of creamy, off-white head that retains for several minutes before retreating into a light cap on top of the brew. Leaves some dribbles of lacing down the sides of the glass. I like my IPAs clear, unfortunately.

S: Wow, they really take the cedar to heart. Very tannic and earthy, with an herbal note to it. The hops are almost an afterthought, or perhaps they're fading a bit. There's some dankness in there, with citrus hops coming last. The smell really stands out on this one; I'm having a great time just sniffing it and not sipping (I like cedar). Not a great nose if you're looking for IPA characteristics, though.

T: Initially malty with a caramel flavor, but it gets hoppy midway through with, as the nose suggests, citrus and a stronger pine/weed flavor. Dank, earthy pull into the finish, which is fairly tannic (if I can be honest, TOO much so) and surprisingly dry. A lingering bitterness with some pepper in the aftertaste.

M: Medium-bodied. Well carbonated. I don't like lingering bitterness in beers, and the bubbles in this one do a decent, but not great, job of staving it off. Kind of a chewy body.

D: A very distinct flavor and one I appreciate. But a bit much to have on a regular basis. Definitely a brewery to keep an eye on, though.

Arbitrator, Sep 11, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

Received this bottle in my first trade with Bucwild, his first trade ever as well! Thanks again and hope to have many more trades!

Appearance- Pours a beautiful orange-tinged amber with a massive white head. I shared this one with a visiting guest to our glass studio on our farm and the first glass poured with about three and a half fingers off a relatively mild pour. The second glass I was a little more careful, but still ended up with about two and a half fingers. The head stuck around for quite awhile too, eventually dying down to about a quarter finger that stuck around over the surface of the beer. Carbonation beaded throughout the drinking experience as well and perhaps most impressive were the massive amounts of sticky lacing left down the side of the glass as I drank.

Smell- The smell was very unique in terms of the IPA's that I've encountered. There was a great deal of fruity/citrusy hops present, giving it the typical grapefruit scents of many IPA's. That being said, the hops definitely tilted towards citrus rather than pine or resin. However, in addition to the typical IPA notes, the cedar really came through. It was almost like smelling the inside of an empty cigar box. Very unusual but very interesting and pleasant I thought.

Taste- Interesting yet again. Big notes of grapefruit and citrus up front. However, unlike the usual drying hop bite that follows these initial flavors in an IPA, the cedar immediately follows the citrus. It is less prominent as cedar per se than in the nose but here has the effect of really smoothing out the hop bitterness of the IPA. As such, this is really a rather fruity, mild tasting IPA. While this isn't what you might expect as an IPA, it is certainly a unique experience and one that I could appreciate.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- A really heavy and sticky mouthfeel. Very chewy and somewhat unusual yet again as it lacked the drying bitterness of the IPA's I'm used to. Great level of carbonation however. I will say though that on the whole I found this beer to be a touch too sweet to drink too much of.

Overall, a very unique experience that might not be everyone's cup of tea, especially hop heads. However, I found it interesting and enjoyable. Go into this one with an open mind and you might just like it quite a bit.

boatshoes, Sep 11, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +3.2%

Upon pouring the beer produces a very fluffy off-white head. The head sticks around for some time until becoming a ring that produces some wonderful lacing.

The beer smells interesting. The hops and cedar both come out in the nose and prodce a light grapefruit smell.

There is an initial sweetness in the beer that is countered by the hops and cedar together. There is perceptable grapefruit, but the cedar and hops working in chorus are very interesting. At first it felt like I was slurping a beer from a humidor, but when the beer breathed a little it came together. I blame my overzealousness.

In the mouth it is nice and smooth, even creamy. The carbonation helps prepare your tongue for a nice hoppy kick.

Hell, yes this beer is drinkable. It is a very refreshing drink by the pool on a warm day. I see why this was released this time of year.

RomaniIteDomum, Sep 07, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Received this in a trade with Markwise.

I am very interested in trying this one because of the cedar aging.

A: It's a nie copper color with a bubbly slightly off white head. A nice ring of layers remains after each sip.

S: The cedar is very present, providing a mix between tobacco and pepper. I have never smelled a beer like this before and am pleasantly surprised. The hops there to but not as strong as the cedar.

T: It starts out with a nice grapefruity citrus bitterness and finishes a bit peppery and smoky.

M: Very full and refreshing. Nothing unpleasant here.

D: Another easy one to drink. The 750 doesn't stand a chance, but I wouldn't go after another.

This was my first beer from Cigar City and my first cedar aged beer. I was extremely happy with this beer because it was a bit unusual. I wouldn't be surprised if other breweries start to experiment with cedar as a result, but this was definitely a hit.

mikey711, Sep 07, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

750ml bottle received in trade from BeerLovinGrl. Thanks Chrissy for the chance to try another great Cigar City beer. Really appreciate this! Shared with nonstick. Poured into a Russian River Belgian glass.

A - Nice clear, orangey amber with an off-white 1 finger head comprised of various sized bubbles. Head lasts a minute and then dissipates leaving nice lace on the sides of the glass.

S - Piney hops with a helping of citrus, grapefruit and pineapple...also some spicyness - is this the cedar?...hmm, can't identify it. Underlying sugary malt balances things out.

T - Piney and citrusy hops come thru and dominate this beer. Nice caramel and sugary sweet malt balance, and some woodiness rounds things out. Some alcohol flavor also. Everything blends really nicely.

M - Medium bodied, ample carbonation. Lingering woodiness and bitterness into the aftertaste with a little fruitiness mixed in. Very good.

D - A little bit on the heavy side, and 7.5% alcohol impedes drinkability, but this is a very tasty beer. I would definitely like to have another one of these. Really interesting wood flavor with the cedar aging. Very good overall.

portia99, Sep 07, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured into a pint glass pours a hazy orange copper color with a fluffy foamy head that leves nice lace on the entire glass. Smell has that citrus character to it. Taste is very impressive with a nice hop explosion on the front end and a bit of a peppery wood on the back end. The flavors mended nicely and the cedar to me really shined through. Overall another outstanding product for Cigar City.

gunnerman, Sep 06, 2009

From my notes

A - Hazy coppery orange with a big fluffy meringue head. Great retention. The lacing is insane.

S - Glorious slick hops. Good dose of malt and hint of cedar. These smells only stronger would get a 5.

T - The same slick hops are there but the malt seems less prevalent than the smell. The cedar adds a very subtle and unique flavor. As it warms the malt opens up more. Nice and bitter in the finish. Very good.

M - Thick & sticky. Good carbonation.

D - Very, very drinkable.

infestaxion, Aug 31, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Big ole 750 provided by ditmier last night at inflatablechair's house... Thanks to Eric for providing such an interesting assortment of beers and to Sam for hosting.... I had this a few times over the night with nice pours into my small La Trappe goblet.

Color is a very hazy orange... no chunks... just very hazy..

Nose is pretty citrusy and much more like a traditional West Coast IPA than I was expecting.... Sam says Cedar smells like a cigar box... I know what cedar smells like, but am having a hard time picking this out in the brew.

Flavor is again pretty traditional and fairly fresh tasting despite the distance traveled... citric hops and some caramel maltiness that I think goes well with some toasty/earthy elements from the wood aging.. finish is a bit dry and mildy tannic.. good creamy body and bunches of small bubble carbonation add to the overall experience...

Thanks again Eric... This is a brewery that I just don't know if I have the gumption to go after.... glad you're such a trooper.

JohnGalt1, Aug 31, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

Bottle. Pours a cloudy copper with a thick, foamy off-white head. Aroma of floral hops, bready malt, citrus, and wood. Flavor is slightly more woody/oaky with some sweet caramel malt and a touch of citrus. Creamy palate, just awesome. Not as cedary as I'd expected given the title, but I like the subtlety. Very nice IPA, definitely not a classic example of the style because it's not very hoppy, but a tasty treat nonetheless.

LilBeerDoctor, Aug 28, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

Review #200. Big thanks to my buddy Ken down in Florida for sending me a couple of these and some Big Sound.

Review from notes:

The pour reminded me of orange juice. Cloudy, small head, decent retention, bits and pieces of lacing left behind.

Fruity and woody aroma and flavor. Really nicely balanced. I've never had anything aged in cedar, but I didn't expect it to be a subtle flavor. Good citrus + cedar made for a really nice beer. Nice woody finish.

Very mellow...doesn't show any signs of 7.5% (my notes say 9%, wonder where that came from) ABV. Pretty good beer, and a nice easy drinker.

Gyle41386, Aug 28, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a dark hazy golden orange/amber color with a 1.5 finger frothy, pillowy off-white head. Good retention with soapy chunks of lacing.

Citrus earthy hop aroma. Floral and citrusy with an excellent biscuity malt backbone with a subtle cedar smokey tobacco presence.

Creamy medium body with soft carbonation. Citrus hops, light fruit up front followed by a nice citrus hop bitterness and a nice roasty cedary wooden tobacco presence that leads into a very bitter hop finish. Burnt wood tobacco aftertaste is present with a little too much of a mat backbone for my liking but otherwise very unique, complex and drinkable.

corby112, Aug 23, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

Bottle into Sam Adams lager glass. Big thanks to Greg (Tpd975) for the great extra!

Pours clear copper with a towering, dense 2-finger off-white head and tons of effervescence. Fantastic stickage and lacing. This one hits all the right notes in terms of appearance.

Nose is evident even as the beer is being poured from a foot away. Big, vibrant, tangy grapefruit and even a bit of pineapple latch onto a spicy pine note that I think is also the best incarnation of the cedar as well, which is very subtle in the nose.

Taste carries a big, pungent hop note up front, grapefruit rind, pine, and the spicy, resiny cedar note all latch on to the prominent bitterness. Caramel malt backbone never diminishes underneath, but never escapes that big, pungent hop note either. There's a dankness to this one that I have a hard time deciding whether I'm a fan of or not, almost a denseness to the flavors. Medium-heavy bitterness lingers on the finish.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, creamy from the lingering head with a pleasant, tiny-bubbled, soft carbonation. Bit tingly, sticky, heavy.

Drinkability is ok, I suppose - too heavy and dense to really be tempting in large quantities, and the pungency and bitterness tend to build up a bit. A nice beer, and gorgeous, but with flaws as well.

JohnQVegas, Aug 22, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Big props to mcbackus. Thanks man! Pour is bronze with a nice, fluffy white head. Aroma of pine, grapefruit and fresh grass. Flavor is bitter upfront with a lot of cedar and almost smokey. The body is thick and almost seems to contain pulp or something. Very clean and dry. This was my favorite beer from Cigar City so far. Hook a brutha up!!!

miketd, Aug 19, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received a bottle in a trade with Keifdog.

Preface: I decided to drink this in a cigar store (which boasts one of the largest walk in humidor's in the state, so lots of cedar smells already) with a cigar (Rocky Patel Sungrown).

Appearance: Poured slightly cloudy copper with a huge head (maybe four fingers) with great retention and lacing.

Smell: Citrusy/piney hop metallic and the more I drink the more I smell the cedar.

Taste: Malty and citrusy with cedar prominent in the after taste. Moderate hopiness. The cedar is not a bad flavor, just different but I don't think the cedar adds to the beer. I've had the regular Jai Alai IPA and given the choice, I would order the regular Jai Alai every time. However, the cedar did add an interesting complexity in the cigar shop which was already cedar smelly in its own right.

Mouthfeel: Moderate to heavy carbonation. Pretty refreshing on a warm day.

Drinkability: Somewhere between a gulper and a sipper. Medium body.

kbm, Aug 16, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance: Pours a hazed, deep copper body with an inch of long-lasting, whitish foam.

Smell: Pale maltiness with a sweet-scented brushing of light caramel coupled with a spicy, peppery cedar aroma and peppy hop notes of tangy citrus and grass.

Taste: Pale malts with a touch of fresh grains and a sweet mingling of light caramel and toffee. Brightly hoppy with a bold hit of juicy citrus fruits and a slight grassy overtone. Moderate bitterness. Ah, then there's the cedar wood delivering a distinct taste of finely-ground white pepper for a nice layer of spiciness. Sure, it finishes dry and fairly bitter, but it's that lingering zesty cedar wood that really sends you back for another and another sip.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Slight hefty, chewiness to the mouthfeel though.

Drinkability: Very enjoyable. While it would be a fine, balanced India Pale Ale in its own right, it's the addition of cedar wood that really sells it for me.

ChainGangGuy, Aug 15, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Got this one from the Whole Foods located behind the brewery when I was in Tampa less than a month ago. Here we go...

A- Poured from the wonderful 750 ml. bottle into my Cigar City pint glass. Pours yellow/orange with a slight haze to it. Head starts off strong and dissipates quickly.
S- Not much in this department. Normal, I suppose.
T- The best part! At first, you get a great citrus flavor similar to grapefruit. Very nice balance, not overwhelmed with bitterness. I really enjoy the flavors. When you thought you were done the cedar kicks into a smooth finish.
Nice!
M- I might have ranted too much in the Taste department, but well balanced and perfect carbonation.
D- I wish we could get this in Panama City. Maybe one day.

-Bye

jbone78, Aug 08, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a fairly hazy light to medium copper with a thick, cream colored, two-finger head that very slowly recedes, some decent lacing as it does. Aroma is a nice citrusy hoppiness, grapefruit, some oranges and cotton candy, overall a pretty hoppy aroma. Taste follows with a quick glimpse of the citrus, before the cedar becomes evident, light, but there, hope come back in towards the finish with some grapefruit-y bitterness. The cedar and woodiness accentuate some of the alcohol in the beer, but definitely doesn't make it offensive, the wood notes also work fairly well with the hoppy flavors, never taking over. Mouthfeel is medium in body, some nice tingly hops on the palate and back of the throat, a small bite of alcohol, and some drying bitterness in the finish. Overall a very good ipa, I am not usu a huge fan of wood aged ipa's as the alcohol always seems to overpower the fresh hoppiness, but here it is just mild enough to be able to work with it and still let the hops shine. Would definitely love to try some of that cedar flavor in a big stout, but it worked well here, nicely done. Thanks Jay for the opportunity.

hoppymeal, Aug 02, 2009
1.98/5  rDev -51.1%

Thanks to fogdog for hooking me up with several Cigar City brews. I am looking forward to trying this underexposed, almost never mentioned on the forums brewery.

I carefully poured myself 2.3 oz for reviewing purposes, then set the rest aside to be consumed after my review is in final (there will be no edits at a later date). I tossed the bottle in my dryer on medium heat then shoved it in the microwave, sans cap, for thirty seconds, to replicate cross-country growler shipping in desert conditions. Now we're good to go!

Pours a deep, hazy orange-amber with a billowing off-white head. Huge heads on these Cigar City brews.

Smells like ... whoa. Holy s***. So that's what a cedar infused beer smells like. Ummm...okay. I smell what I imagine is cedar. Huge amounts of piney, aromatic, cigar-storage-box esque cedar. Yeah, the humidor name is apt. While there's no tobacco in the nose, my brain wants to insert it.

Taste is a bit more complex, with some grapefruit, juicy tangerine, and a bit of bitter pine ... along with CEDAR. And some balancing caramel. You have to have a disciplined palate to pick out the nuances here.

It coats the tongue. Exotic. Memorable. Would I want it every day? No. Cedar is awful and shouldn't be used to age beer. There. I said it.

Very good mouthfeel. Sticky, tangy, good carbonation. F*** that cedar.

Overlord, Jul 31, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

750mL bottle courtesy of jdubfl poured into a tulip.

Pours a deep, hazy brownish orange with a big creamy white head that shows fantastic retention and remains a one-inch head for the duration. Lacing is impressive as well with sheets of sticky lace all the way down.

The aroma is not too different from the original Jai Alai with a dominant fruity citrus aroma with hints of pine and a nice caramel sweetness as well. The cedar is definitely present but not overpowering at all.

The taste is where the cedar comes out a bit more. There's lots of juicy citrus up front but it gives way to a healthy caramel malt sweetness and a more prevalent spicy wood presence which lingers through the finish with a healthy dose of resinous hops.

The mouthfeel is pretty full bodied and very sticky with hop juice. There is an interesting spiciness from the cedar as well which makes the mouthfeel more unique than most IPAs.

This is a very impressive beer from Cigar City and I think it's better than the original, as the cedar really smooths things out and lends an earthiness to things. I'm not normally a fan of wood-aged IPAs, but this one really surprised me. Well done and one of the better IPAs I've tasted in recent memory.

gford217, Jul 26, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

a: This was a chill-hazed golden coppery color, on the dark side for an IPA. It poured with a big, craggy, sticky white head.

s: Hard to believe this beer has been aged in anything. The first thing I noticed was the fresh, vibrant citrusy hops. Plenty of lemon peel with a little grapefruit. The cedar in the backround is subtle and comes across as spicy rather than woody. Very nicely done!

t: Pretty big departure from the smell. The cedar has muted the hops to the point that they seem herbal rather than citric. Some lemony elements do remain however. The cedar is pretty prominent at the finish, and it is distinctly "woody". Still, all this combined with just a hint of caramel sweetness makes for an interesting and undeniably delicious beer.

m: Gently creamy carbonation and a big, silky smooth body.

d: I entered into this with some trepidation. Aging an IPA for any purpose always sounds like a bad idea to me. I have to give these guys credit though. They handled this with finesse and it came together beautifully.

DIM, Jul 25, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -6.2%

Purchased this bottle along with another(for trading) at Norman's Liquors, just east of I-75 on SR-70 in Bradenton.

Dark amber hue with red highlights. Nice one and a half finger, frothy, off white head. Laces very well. The head is here for the long haul.

Smell and taste have quite a bit of a bitter, lemon peel quality. The flavor is complimented by grapefruit and a light caramel sweetness, way in the back. An underlying earthy/woody taste remains on the tongue long after the swallow.

Mouthfeel is soft and silky. An astringent bitterness does lessen the drinkability a bit, but not a bad wood aged beer. I, however, think that IPAs are not the most suitable beer for wood aging. And i believe that the Jai Alai was better without aging it on Cedar. A fresh Jai Alai cannot be improved upon.

JAA, Jul 25, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Served in a 24 oz. wine bottle at a local beer bar, I had to try due solely to its uniqueness and the fact that I will never be able to get this beer again. Served in a Watou goblet.

Beer was relatively clear, aged on cedar it gave it an interesting depth that I had not tasted in other beers. I am not usually a fan of Oak-aged beers, but I know they are aged to mellow them, the cedar imparted an interesting, albeit good, smoothness to this beer. It would not be fair to classify this beer as a hop bomb, although the bar tender could not tell me the ABV, I assumed it was in the 8% range. I was feeling no pain by the end. Head was steady and persistent to the end. An impressive beer all around. It is a shame that I have not gotten to explore Cigar City more.

drabmuh, Jul 21, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

750 ml bottle poured in to a goblet.

Pours a hazy orangy amber with a white sticky head that isn't moving anyime soon.

Smell starts like sweet citrus, then a spicy woody finish.

Taste is cedary. Starts with a mellow cedar then a hoppy middle finishing with a deeper woody finish.

Mouthfeel is very full and the cedar keeps the hoppy bitterness from being too strong.

An excellent beer that I was very surprised to find.

aubuc1, Jul 21, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +5.7%

A - One and a half fingers of off-white head on a moderately hazy, copper-brown body. The thick, creamy head settles slowly and the lace is appropriately dense on the walls of the glass.

S - Lots of hop aroma, very fruity with pineapple notes and a hint of orange. Malty background, toast and a bit of caramel. Can't say I am getting any cedar yet, though it could easily hide within this hop character.

T - Pungent hops up front with some spicy, woody character up front. Pine and grapefruit with toasty, toffee like malt. Bitterness begins to kick in the middle and notes of pepper and grapefruit come out. The wood begins to assert itself in the finish, there is a subtle, incense like cedar note and quite a bit of spicy tobacco flavor. A strong, grapefruit-like astringency lingers on the palate.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a slightly sweet, somewhat astringent finish.

D - Pretty drinkable with a huge hop character. The cedar seems to be very subtle, and may have contributed to a slightly medicinal aftertaste, but it does seem to augment the hops. Clearly the base beer is a very nice, robust IPA and while I haven't had a chance to try it yet, it is on my list.

nickfl, Jul 19, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +8.1%

Got this 750mL from Gtreid in a recent LIF, thanks so much for the generosity! Cracked this open for new beer Saturday with Alex and Dave (MasterSki and d0b).

A: Pours a hazy orangey amber with just off-white colored head and lots of lacing on the glass.

S: Smells like tons of orange, grapefruity hops, citrus, pine, light cedar, earthiness...smells great, but not as intense as I'd prefer

T: Lots of pine, grapefruit hoppiness, more cedar in the flavor, a nice amount of malt but still the hops win out, decent amount of bitterness in the finish

M: Really full bodied and well carbonated make this a really nice mouthfeel

D: Pretty highly drinkable, it feels like a bigger IPA, but it's still sessionable with the great flavor and you really don't pick up much alcohol if any.

dukedevil0, Jul 18, 2009