Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009)

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Reviewing the Humidor Series Cedar-Aged Jai Alai IPA from Cigar City Brewing out of Tampa Bay, Florida.
Score: 88

Bottle is from November 2011. Served in a snifter glass and enjoyed on 06/23/12 at the inaugural Chicago craft beer lovers meeting.

Appearance: Hazy/murky golden orange color with minimal head and lacing. It is a little hard to discern much "appearance" from my pour size on this one, but nothing really stood out to me about the color. 3.5/5

Smell: Huge waves of cigar box cedar hit upfront. I love the smell of cedar, so this was quite awesome. Behind the cedar is malty orange, pepper and a little onion. Pineapple with a hint of hops too. 4/5

Taste: Bring on the cigars! This beer tastes like you are standing inside a humidor! Though the hops are almost entirely faded here, left behind is a residual bitterness and oily blend of peppery cedar flavor and malty orange citrus. Easy drinking. 4/5

Mouthfeel: Light-medium bodied, medium carbonation. Nice peppery-cedar kick on the tongue. Quite malty. 3.75/5

Overall: I was not going to review this when I saw the bottle date, but then I found that I surprisingly enjoyed this stale IPA. I will be seeking out a fresh bottle of this upon its next release in a couple of weeks. Yum!

Recommendation: If you like cedar and cigars, seek this one out.

Pairings: Big, fat Cuban cigars.

Cost: $10.99 for a 750 ml bottle.

3.25/5  rDev -20%

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Barrel aging IPAs can be a very dangerous thing in my opinion. So much risk of obliterating character and just wrecking the ship. This one works for me. There are the IPA tones that area clear and evident with the barrel influences that combine to provide a nice drinking experience. It's a little boozy at times, but it works for me. P.S. Mild gusher here and a whole lotta head too.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

In spite of a slight geyser upon opening (okay, it was a massive geyser), this beer pours with a manageable head, ivory colored and stable atop a hazed cinnamon-orange body. Kinda like a hefeweizen. Kinda.

The aroma is gorgeous. Full disclosure: the smell of cedar makes me very nostalgic as it reminds me of the time I spent in Japan, and my favorite beer is Hitachino Nest JCA, also aged in cedar. This smells like that – but ramped up a notch or two. Full on peppery cedar dominates, almost to the exclusion of all other aromas, but they're there: guava, cinnamon, lime, dulce de leche, bitter otange, coriander... I could go on, but I'll just stop there and say that it's lovely.

The flavor is more cedary spice, lots of wholegrain toast spread with dark honey, apple pie, resinous bitterness, and clove. There seems to be a touch of tannins here as well, giving this a slightly tea-like edge. Soft carbonation leads into a dry finish with a lingering woody bitterness.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Looking for something different to drink tonight and boy did I find it. Forgot I even had this in the cellar.

I was surprised to see the variation in reviews for this beer. Granted this is a very unique beer but the reviews are all over the map. Any way, here we go.

Pours a cloudy orange color with about 1/2 inch cream colored head that fades pretty quickly. Bottle conditioned, so watch your pour.

Smells like the name implies; malt, cedar and tobacco.

My initial impression was alot of grapefruit flavor with a background of pepper and spice. As the beer warmed the cedar and tobacco really begin to come out.

Carbonation wasn't overwhelming and mouthfeel overall was fairly light for a beer with this much flavor.

Overall, one of the most unique and interesting beers I've had in a while. Not something I would drink on a regular basis but a good one to throw in the rotation when you are looking for something different.

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured an orange color with a 1 finger head. Decent amount of lacing on the glass.

Smelled of grapefruit, citrus, a little pine and some sweetness from the cedar.

Nice grapfruit bitterness up front that mellows out as the cedar kicks in. Finishes with nice, lingering citrus bitterness.

Medium mouthfeel, carbonation was a little on the high side.

Overall this was excellent. I enjoy Jai Alai, but the cedar aging adds a whole other dimension, really mellowing it out and giving it a smooth taste.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%