Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Danny1217

4.44/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours orange, with some floaties in it, but mostly very clear. Nice white head with lots of lacing.
Smells intense. Cedar wood complements the huge citrus aroma and even enhances it. Some tropical fruit and pine as well.
Tastes of citrus, tropical fruits, and pine. A touch of sweet malt, but mostly hidden beneath the hops. The cedar once again enhances the citrus. The wood aging really works so well here.

Might be my favorite treatment of this beer. Fantastic. Wish it was available more often.

05-08-2012 05:43:24 | More by Danny1217
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a clear golden color with a decent sized white head that slowly fades to a ring around the top of my glass. Smells like that old chest at the end of your grandmothers bed. Earthy and woody with a hint of patchouli. There's some citrus in there as well, and maybe some malt, but the cedar is such a powerful aroma its hard to find anything else. It tastes just like it smells. Cedar and citrus with a hint of pepper and malt splashed in for good measure. I'm not sure if I'm imagining this, but after each sip my pallet seems awash with the flavor of cannabis. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet bubbly mouthfeel. The cedar flavor and aroma is quite strong here and the first few sips were rough until my taste buds finally cried uncle. This is not something I would drink often, but I applaud the result.

05-06-2012 01:52:51 | More by johnnnniee
ZombiesAteMyDog

Indiana

05-05-2012 23:52:27 | More by ZombiesAteMyDog
Treebs

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

750 ml bottle served in a Deschutes tulip. Thanks to eorwar for the share.

A: Pours a hazy amber color with a frothy white head forming on the pour. Some splotchy lace is left down the glass.

S: Big woodiness up front. There is a weird fruity tang and it mixes with big hops and more big raw wood.

T: I'm getting the big raw woodiness and the slightly awkward fruity tang from the nose. I get more of a tobacco leaf flavor here on the finish as well.

M: Medium bodied with a medium carbonation. The finish is an earthy tobacco leaf.

O: This beer really tastes like the environment inside a walk-in humidor. If you love that smell and feel you'll love this beer. I just don't find those flavors really meshing well the fruity hops from the base beer. Not a bad beer, but I wouldn't revisit.

05-05-2012 14:40:44 | More by Treebs
BlakeL

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

05-05-2012 00:59:47 | More by BlakeL
muskiesman

05-04-2012 20:39:34 | More by muskiesman
Teleweizen2

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

A - pours a clear light orange hue with minimal white foam. lacing practicly covers the glass. the second pour is surprising as it pours out a cloudy murky amber with some yellow highlights. 3 fingers worth of foam this time, though it quickly dissipates it still leaves the same amount of lacing.

S - nose has a lot of earthy, woody notes. lots of tropical fruit along with candied orange peels. as it warms the earthy notes come out more in the form of tobacco and hints of pine needles.

T - doughy malt profile up front. sweetness and bitterness blend together mid palate along with some tropical fruit flavors. more intense bitterness on the back end. finish is dry and piney.

M - medium bodied. slick texture with just a hint of creaminess.

O - nice beer. i do wish it was touch drier but the bottle conditioning really gives this beer life and body, i only wish i got around to drinking the bottle sooner. will get another bottle fresher to review.

05-03-2012 04:31:12 | More by Teleweizen2

04-28-2012 01:30:06 | More by halo913
BrownNut

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Tulip from a 750

How do you rate a beer that is very interesting, but not necessarily in a gustatively pleasing or coherent way? In a nutshell I feel like this was a bold try that didn't quite work. I'm glad they tried it and I'm glad I tried it but having noted and appreciated its unique impact, I would not buy it again. It's a thinker.

A - Cloudy dark orange with a bright white head that dies down but keeps replenishing itself for a while. Tons of lacing. I kind of don't care how a beer looks and don't really care about style guidelines, but in trying to be a team player I was about to rate this down because it was cloudy and I didn't feel like it should be. But I just read the BJCP guidelines for the style, which said in part, "Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy." As this is unfiltered and bottle fermented, let's don't rate down its appearance for that. Nice color, nice head, nice bubble action.

S - Sharp cedar mixed with fresh citrus mixed with malty caramel sweet. The cedar comes across initially spicy, which is welcome until the cedarness of it kicks in. I can't help but be reminded of the cedar shavings in my elementary school gerbil cage, which was usually mixed with gerbil pee smell, which is an (admittedly subjective) association I don't want to get from a beer. Yet at the same time there is something sort of refined about it, reminding me of a cigar humidor as the series name implies. These three aroma notes aren't bad but don't quite come together harmoniously for me. I bet a different wood would do better here. I'd like to try oak, maybe in the form of a cognac barrel. Citrus + caramel + oak-aged cognac would be like a cognac long drink. You're welcome.

T - The cedar dominates the taste and the aftertaste. Everything else is happening beneath that. It's hard to consider those things without the cedar note because it refuses to yield center stage even for a moment. Late in the 750 I'm getting substantial booze breath, like when you wake up the next day after a college keg party for an 8-o'clock class and are still exhaling straight alcohol and people are like damn, what did you get up to last night? The guy two reviews ago mentions grapefruit. Interesting, I can kind of see what he means now. The combination of processed grain alcohol breath with cedar does kind of combine to form a grapefruit effect. Feels a little like gin and tonic breath, which is on the border between maturely refined and Oh No I'm An Alcoholic.

M - Smooth and soft. At first it was ending a little sticky, but towards the end, I guess having stripped all the native mucus away, it was ending with a hint of that dry tongue abrasion, sort of like you'd licked a block of cedar. The last reviewer mentioned that his foamed over when he opened it. While mine was well carbonated and had lots of action in the glass to keep replenishing the head for a while (then dying out), mine did not foam over upon opening like his, so maybe that was an anomaly.

O - My whole goal of beer exploring is to find interesting beers, and in that respect this one really delivers. I've never had anything like this and I say it's worth your while to try it. Yet while interesting and different and memorable, this beer tells me I don't want beer aged on cedar. It still manages to be pretty decent aside from the cedar, so I'll want to track down their un-aged Jai Alai. I bet it's nice. I feel like if I hadn't had that gerbil cage for all those years, cedar would make a different and better impression on me, because its spice notes add a really interesting layer of complexity and exciting flavor. It kind of makes you want food or a sauce flavored with those initial spicy notes, like maybe a curry. Hop on that, India, and call me when you've got something. Cedar-smoked lamb korma curry. There it is.

My smell, taste, and overall scores represent the average between how much I appreciate the originality of the attempt and how not-quite-right I perceive the result. If there were an originality category I'd give them a 5.

04-23-2012 02:03:54 | More by BrownNut
KevieJames

04-19-2012 17:07:22 | More by KevieJames
yergermeister

04-18-2012 13:55:55 | More by yergermeister
steelerguy

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Hazy amber, absolutely huge head, tons of carbonation, almost scary!

S - Cedar and spice with a touch of sweet malt.

T - Smooth delivery of hops throughout, a bit of spiciness, the cedar is there but not overpowering. The aging and perhaps wood have rounded this beer out very well.

M - Light bodied, carbonation is a bit overwhelming, I have a feeling that some bacteria was introduced as it foamed up as soon as I popped the cap and I can't believe they carbonated it to this level intentionally. No off flavors though...

O - Good beer, definitely interesting, would honestly rather just have the Jai Alai straight up.

04-16-2012 23:42:26 | More by steelerguy

04-11-2012 03:15:55 | More by blmar311
laxer8811

04-10-2012 00:20:41 | More by laxer8811
Goblinmunkey7

Huge thanks to Bilco for surprising me with a bottle.

Appearance: Orange leaning toward copper. Head is bright-white and clings to the glass. Head drops to a thin ring with wisps of foam covering the top of the beer. Slight haze from the sediment. Otherwise the beer is perfectly clear.

Smell: Cedar like whoa. It has a weird nostalgic aroma, which has to be true for anyone with a grandmother from a certain generation. Juicy citrus hops play under the spicy cedar notes. A touch of sweetness and a solid bready malt backbone. The cedar really ramps things up. Great complimentary aroma.

Taste: Spicy cedar dominates. After a few sips and the tongue gets used to the crazy cedar flavor, a nice grapefruit-forward hop bite sneaks through. Some pithy bitterness. Malts are a touch sweet. Bread dough and toasted crust. A touch of caramel to keep things interesting. The spicy components of the cedar enhance the bright citrus notes.

Mouthfeel: A little more body than the non-aged version. Smooth and oh so drinkable. Carbonation is low, but works incredibly well with treatment. So smooth and almost creamy at times.

Overall: I'd take this over the standard version any day. The cedar is a great touch if a bit unorthodox. The spicy woody flavors are a perfect compliment. This is my first encounter with bottled nostalgia and it works.

04-05-2012 01:42:13 | More by Goblinmunkey7