Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009

3.97/5  rDev -1%

Bottle thanks to robinsmv, poured into a pint glass.

Pour: Hazy amber with three fingers of off white, nearly tan head. Definitely some floaties. Okay lacing. Head hangs around.

Smell: Slight citrus tartness, LOTS of cedar. Some grapefruit in there, but a very woody aspect prevails.

Taste: Very woody cedar up front, followed by some pine and grapefruit. Malt has a slight caramel aspect. Finishes with more cedar spiciness.

Mouthfeel: Nice and dry from the cedar, moderate carbonation. Bitterness stops it from being very drinkable, despite the cedar aging, so this one takes a little while to get through

Overall: Very interesting, and definitely better than white oak. (678 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -33.9%

A : Poured a dark orangish color, cloudy with amber/brownish highlights. A moderate white head sits at the top which fades leaving some white bubbles and faint lacing

S: Definite cedar, some boiled vegetables, a little bit of spice and thats about all folks

T: Not exactly sure what is happening here. Moderate cedar taste upfront which then seems to grow as I swallow. There is a light spice to it and some citrus is barely noticable. The finish is more cedar, a bit tannic with more cedar, Earthiness on the finish

M: Medium bodied, a little low on carbonation perhaps, the cedar notes really kill this beer.

O: I ahd a Jai Alai just before this and I swear I could not find one single distinguishing note from Jai Alai to this beer. The cedar and whatever else happened along the way just killed this beer. (813 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

I must say that Cigar City is about the only saving grace in the beer world down here in Florida after moving down from NC. Served from a 750 into a Harpoon IPA glass, one of my faves for ipas. Pours a murky orange color with amber highlights and hues, topped with a decent sized, slightly off white colored head that is thick and foamy and leaves tons of lacing down the sides of the glass. Head retention was quite nice also.

Aroma was very typical of the standard Jai Alai beer that is offered. I have had the normal JA plenty of times. I was a little disappointed that the cedar didn't shine more but as a stand alone beer (not comparing this one to the OG) this is still a very nice beer. No real cedar in the aroma. Plenty of hoppiness in the way of citrus and pine with hints of floral notes.

I did get some cedar in the extreme aftertaste on this one which was nice and "refreshing". Solid flavored all around for this one.

Another solid offering from CCB. I hope to try other humidor series beers from these guys. (1,028 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -19%

Received in a trade with NYBrews a couple moths ago, this one got lost in the back of the fridge until now. Poured into 16oz nonic. Poured over 4 inches of head on the initial pour, less than 1/8 inch of beer at the bottom. This problem would continue throughout the bottle. When there was finally enough beer to look at, the beer was a slightly hazy, very attractive orange-gold color.

The aroma was good, some malts showing through the citrusy hops. The flavors were also good, those same citrus hops on a nice malt base. Maybe I tasted a bit of cedar, or perhaps it was the power of suggestion.

The body was good, full, sharp and dry, but the finish was a bit harshly bitter. Drinkability was good, but is losing a half-point because I ended up drinking as much head as I did beer. Overall a pretty nice brew, almost a must try. You should give it a shot if you see it, and it's probably worth setting up a trade for. (922 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +1.5%

Cigar City Humidor IPA
Poured from a bottle into a glass
A: Brown, with a decent head that takes a while to fade.
S: Fruity, Grapefruit, lemon, some pine and hop notes very complex.
T: Fruity, the hops are not as front forward as they could be.
M: Some hops but you can taste the barrel aged part of this beer. Complex, reminiscent of liquor.
O: good for an IPA, I wouldn’t buy it again mostly because it’s expensive but certainly a good full bodied beer. (460 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -2.2%

Reviewing the Humidor Series Cedar-Aged Jai Alai IPA from Cigar City Brewing out of Tampa Bay, Florida.
Score: 88

Bottle is from November 2011. Served in a snifter glass and enjoyed on 06/23/12 at the inaugural Chicago craft beer lovers meeting.

Appearance: Hazy/murky golden orange color with minimal head and lacing. It is a little hard to discern much "appearance" from my pour size on this one, but nothing really stood out to me about the color. 3.5/5

Smell: Huge waves of cigar box cedar hit upfront. I love the smell of cedar, so this was quite awesome. Behind the cedar is malty orange, pepper and a little onion. Pineapple with a hint of hops too. 4/5

Taste: Bring on the cigars! This beer tastes like you are standing inside a humidor! Though the hops are almost entirely faded here, left behind is a residual bitterness and oily blend of peppery cedar flavor and malty orange citrus. Easy drinking. 4/5

Mouthfeel: Light-medium bodied, medium carbonation. Nice peppery-cedar kick on the tongue. Quite malty. 3.75/5

Overall: I was not going to review this when I saw the bottle date, but then I found that I surprisingly enjoyed this stale IPA. I will be seeking out a fresh bottle of this upon its next release in a couple of weeks. Yum!

Recommendation: If you like cedar and cigars, seek this one out.

Pairings: Big, fat Cuban cigars.

Cost: $10.99 for a 750 ml bottle. (1,388 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Barrel aging IPAs can be a very dangerous thing in my opinion. So much risk of obliterating character and just wrecking the ship. This one works for me. There are the IPA tones that area clear and evident with the barrel influences that combine to provide a nice drinking experience. It's a little boozy at times, but it works for me. P.S. Mild gusher here and a whole lotta head too. (384 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +14%

In spite of a slight geyser upon opening (okay, it was a massive geyser), this beer pours with a manageable head, ivory colored and stable atop a hazed cinnamon-orange body. Kinda like a hefeweizen. Kinda.

The aroma is gorgeous. Full disclosure: the smell of cedar makes me very nostalgic as it reminds me of the time I spent in Japan, and my favorite beer is Hitachino Nest JCA, also aged in cedar. This smells like that – but ramped up a notch or two. Full on peppery cedar dominates, almost to the exclusion of all other aromas, but they're there: guava, cinnamon, lime, dulce de leche, bitter otange, coriander... I could go on, but I'll just stop there and say that it's lovely.

The flavor is more cedary spice, lots of wholegrain toast spread with dark honey, apple pie, resinous bitterness, and clove. There seems to be a touch of tannins here as well, giving this a slightly tea-like edge. Soft carbonation leads into a dry finish with a lingering woody bitterness. (977 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -2.2%

Looking for something different to drink tonight and boy did I find it. Forgot I even had this in the cellar.

I was surprised to see the variation in reviews for this beer. Granted this is a very unique beer but the reviews are all over the map. Any way, here we go.

Pours a cloudy orange color with about 1/2 inch cream colored head that fades pretty quickly. Bottle conditioned, so watch your pour.

Smells like the name implies; malt, cedar and tobacco.

My initial impression was alot of grapefruit flavor with a background of pepper and spice. As the beer warmed the cedar and tobacco really begin to come out.

Carbonation wasn't overwhelming and mouthfeel overall was fairly light for a beer with this much flavor.

Overall, one of the most unique and interesting beers I've had in a while. Not something I would drink on a regular basis but a good one to throw in the rotation when you are looking for something different. (933 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured an orange color with a 1 finger head. Decent amount of lacing on the glass.

Smelled of grapefruit, citrus, a little pine and some sweetness from the cedar.

Nice grapfruit bitterness up front that mellows out as the cedar kicks in. Finishes with nice, lingering citrus bitterness.

Medium mouthfeel, carbonation was a little on the high side.

Overall this was excellent. I enjoy Jai Alai, but the cedar aging adds a whole other dimension, really mellowing it out and giving it a smooth taste. (501 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured from a bottle into a Victory tulip

A- pours a cloudy shade of orange with a one finger slightly offwhite head. A decent bit of sediment in this one. Huh.

S- the cedar is the primary aroma, with some sweet fruit creeping through as well

T- slight bitterness, decent smoky wood flavor, mild sweetness. It's ok

M- body is actually relatively thick

O- not a huge fan. I know this is one of CCB's staples, but I'm not in love with it (440 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +18.2%

Had this one several times, just getting around to review. Reviewed from notes. Had on-tap at CCB tasting room.

A: Clear amber to copper in color. Forms a one finger white head. Some visible carbonation here.

S: Woody, cedar, grapefruit and tropical fruit hops.

T: Really good. The cedar compliments the IPA character wonderfully. There is citrus (grapefruit, lemon, orange), and sweet malt flavor underneath. No alcohol presence to speak of. Finish is dry, and the dryness of the cedar fights with the hop bitterness in the hang.

M: Nice, not overly heavy mouthfeel. There is noticeably less carbonation in this pour than others I've had.

O: I can understand why some may not prefer this beer. The cedar flavor certainly comes on strong. But, I absolutely love it and the cedar flavor works SO well with the IPA style. If you haven't had the opportunity to try this yet, I would suggest you seek it out. (909 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to ehammond1 for sharing this at DarthKostrizer's tasting.

Pours a murky honey orange with a beige head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, caramel, earth, citrus zest, and some cedar wood. Taste is of malt, dirt, ashes, earth, and damp wood. There is a medium amount of bitterness with each sip. This beer has a pretty good level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer with a better smell than taste. (539 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at CCB tap takeover at OTC.

A: Nice looking amber color. Small white head with excellent lacing and retention.
S: The first thing I got was fruits. Grapefruit, orange, peaches, pineapple and mango. It was backed up by a sweet cedar smell. This smells amazing.
T: Taste is malty sweetness with some fruity hoppy bitterness. A bit piney that I imagine comes from the cedar ageing.
M: Medium mouthfeel with low carbonation. A bit sticky but overall very drinkable.
O: This was easily my favorite beer of the night. It's very mellow compared to other huge IPAs, just extremely well balanced and drinkable. (614 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours orange, with some floaties in it, but mostly very clear. Nice white head with lots of lacing.
Smells intense. Cedar wood complements the huge citrus aroma and even enhances it. Some tropical fruit and pine as well.
Tastes of citrus, tropical fruits, and pine. A touch of sweet malt, but mostly hidden beneath the hops. The cedar once again enhances the citrus. The wood aging really works so well here.

Might be my favorite treatment of this beer. Fantastic. Wish it was available more often. (500 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -15%

Pours a clear golden color with a decent sized white head that slowly fades to a ring around the top of my glass. Smells like that old chest at the end of your grandmothers bed. Earthy and woody with a hint of patchouli. There's some citrus in there as well, and maybe some malt, but the cedar is such a powerful aroma its hard to find anything else. It tastes just like it smells. Cedar and citrus with a hint of pepper and malt splashed in for good measure. I'm not sure if I'm imagining this, but after each sip my pallet seems awash with the flavor of cannabis. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet bubbly mouthfeel. The cedar flavor and aroma is quite strong here and the first few sips were rough until my taste buds finally cried uncle. This is not something I would drink often, but I applaud the result. (836 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -21.2%

750 ml bottle served in a Deschutes tulip. Thanks to eorwar for the share.

A: Pours a hazy amber color with a frothy white head forming on the pour. Some splotchy lace is left down the glass.

S: Big woodiness up front. There is a weird fruity tang and it mixes with big hops and more big raw wood.

T: I'm getting the big raw woodiness and the slightly awkward fruity tang from the nose. I get more of a tobacco leaf flavor here on the finish as well.

M: Medium bodied with a medium carbonation. The finish is an earthy tobacco leaf.

O: This beer really tastes like the environment inside a walk-in humidor. If you love that smell and feel you'll love this beer. I just don't find those flavors really meshing well the fruity hops from the base beer. Not a bad beer, but I wouldn't revisit. (794 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -9%

A - pours a clear light orange hue with minimal white foam. lacing practicly covers the glass. the second pour is surprising as it pours out a cloudy murky amber with some yellow highlights. 3 fingers worth of foam this time, though it quickly dissipates it still leaves the same amount of lacing.

S - nose has a lot of earthy, woody notes. lots of tropical fruit along with candied orange peels. as it warms the earthy notes come out more in the form of tobacco and hints of pine needles.

T - doughy malt profile up front. sweetness and bitterness blend together mid palate along with some tropical fruit flavors. more intense bitterness on the back end. finish is dry and piney.

M - medium bodied. slick texture with just a hint of creaminess.

O - nice beer. i do wish it was touch drier but the bottle conditioning really gives this beer life and body, i only wish i got around to drinking the bottle sooner. will get another bottle fresher to review. (961 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -10.7%

Tulip from a 750

How do you rate a beer that is very interesting, but not necessarily in a gustatively pleasing or coherent way? In a nutshell I feel like this was a bold try that didn't quite work. I'm glad they tried it and I'm glad I tried it but having noted and appreciated its unique impact, I would not buy it again. It's a thinker.

A - Cloudy dark orange with a bright white head that dies down but keeps replenishing itself for a while. Tons of lacing. I kind of don't care how a beer looks and don't really care about style guidelines, but in trying to be a team player I was about to rate this down because it was cloudy and I didn't feel like it should be. But I just read the BJCP guidelines for the style, which said in part, "Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy." As this is unfiltered and bottle fermented, let's don't rate down its appearance for that. Nice color, nice head, nice bubble action.

S - Sharp cedar mixed with fresh citrus mixed with malty caramel sweet. The cedar comes across initially spicy, which is welcome until the cedarness of it kicks in. I can't help but be reminded of the cedar shavings in my elementary school gerbil cage, which was usually mixed with gerbil pee smell, which is an (admittedly subjective) association I don't want to get from a beer. Yet at the same time there is something sort of refined about it, reminding me of a cigar humidor as the series name implies. These three aroma notes aren't bad but don't quite come together harmoniously for me. I bet a different wood would do better here. I'd like to try oak, maybe in the form of a cognac barrel. Citrus + caramel + oak-aged cognac would be like a cognac long drink. You're welcome.

T - The cedar dominates the taste and the aftertaste. Everything else is happening beneath that. It's hard to consider those things without the cedar note because it refuses to yield center stage even for a moment. Late in the 750 I'm getting substantial booze breath, like when you wake up the next day after a college keg party for an 8-o'clock class and are still exhaling straight alcohol and people are like damn, what did you get up to last night? The guy two reviews ago mentions grapefruit. Interesting, I can kind of see what he means now. The combination of processed grain alcohol breath with cedar does kind of combine to form a grapefruit effect. Feels a little like gin and tonic breath, which is on the border between maturely refined and Oh No I'm An Alcoholic.

M - Smooth and soft. At first it was ending a little sticky, but towards the end, I guess having stripped all the native mucus away, it was ending with a hint of that dry tongue abrasion, sort of like you'd licked a block of cedar. The last reviewer mentioned that his foamed over when he opened it. While mine was well carbonated and had lots of action in the glass to keep replenishing the head for a while (then dying out), mine did not foam over upon opening like his, so maybe that was an anomaly.

O - My whole goal of beer exploring is to find interesting beers, and in that respect this one really delivers. I've never had anything like this and I say it's worth your while to try it. Yet while interesting and different and memorable, this beer tells me I don't want beer aged on cedar. It still manages to be pretty decent aside from the cedar, so I'll want to track down their un-aged Jai Alai. I bet it's nice. I feel like if I hadn't had that gerbil cage for all those years, cedar would make a different and better impression on me, because its spice notes add a really interesting layer of complexity and exciting flavor. It kind of makes you want food or a sauce flavored with those initial spicy notes, like maybe a curry. Hop on that, India, and call me when you've got something. Cedar-smoked lamb korma curry. There it is.

My smell, taste, and overall scores represent the average between how much I appreciate the originality of the attempt and how not-quite-right I perceive the result. If there were an originality category I'd give them a 5. (4,084 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

A - Hazy amber, absolutely huge head, tons of carbonation, almost scary!

S - Cedar and spice with a touch of sweet malt.

T - Smooth delivery of hops throughout, a bit of spiciness, the cedar is there but not overpowering. The aging and perhaps wood have rounded this beer out very well.

M - Light bodied, carbonation is a bit overwhelming, I have a feeling that some bacteria was introduced as it foamed up as soon as I popped the cap and I can't believe they carbonated it to this level intentionally. No off flavors though...

O - Good beer, definitely interesting, would honestly rather just have the Jai Alai straight up. (628 characters)

Huge thanks to Bilco for surprising me with a bottle.

Appearance: Orange leaning toward copper. Head is bright-white and clings to the glass. Head drops to a thin ring with wisps of foam covering the top of the beer. Slight haze from the sediment. Otherwise the beer is perfectly clear.

Smell: Cedar like whoa. It has a weird nostalgic aroma, which has to be true for anyone with a grandmother from a certain generation. Juicy citrus hops play under the spicy cedar notes. A touch of sweetness and a solid bready malt backbone. The cedar really ramps things up. Great complimentary aroma.

Taste: Spicy cedar dominates. After a few sips and the tongue gets used to the crazy cedar flavor, a nice grapefruit-forward hop bite sneaks through. Some pithy bitterness. Malts are a touch sweet. Bread dough and toasted crust. A touch of caramel to keep things interesting. The spicy components of the cedar enhance the bright citrus notes.

Mouthfeel: A little more body than the non-aged version. Smooth and oh so drinkable. Carbonation is low, but works incredibly well with treatment. So smooth and almost creamy at times.

Overall: I'd take this over the standard version any day. The cedar is a great touch if a bit unorthodox. The spicy woody flavors are a perfect compliment. This is my first encounter with bottled nostalgia and it works. (1,341 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%

Shared a 750mL bottle of this w/ BigDoug @ the Royale in St. Louis, MO. Poured from the Red/Green/Yellow Labeled bottle w/ a Giant "H" in the middle into a Shaker Glass. Has no sign of a freshness date.

Aroma- Malt, hop, and a mild blend of oak come around here. Nothing distinct in this aroma and very shy attributes.

Appearance- Pours a 1 finger head that dies quickly. Has a dark orange/copper body with good clarity. Leaves tons of suds behind.

Flavor- Very sweet flavor including American hops but stay as a light-medium flavor in here. A bit of cedar/oak come around towards the end. Medium Bitterness at most.

Mouthfeel- Medium Bodied, Light-Medium Carbonation, Smooth, and a nice barrel attribute with hops are left on the palate.

Overall Impression- Not one of my favorites from Cigar City. Since I thought the Jai Alai was an A+ IPA, you rarely see a beer this profound and world-class to be changed for the better. Glad I got to enjoy but wouldn't grab this as my first choice if around an isle with other C.C. beers. (1,033 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +6%

Bottle shared by afdempse. Thanks Adam!

The beer is transparent and orange colored, sporting a half inch of white head. Lasting retention and ample lacing.

The aroma is unique and wonderful. A bold scent of freshly lit cigars and cigar smoke take center stage, followed by floral hops.

The taste is not quite as delectable and intriguing as the aroma, but well balanced and enjoyable nonetheless. I can understand why some may dislike this beer, as it is certainly not for everyone. When viewed solely as an IPA or DIPA, this will not hold its own when matched against the upper tier brews of this ilk. That said, Humidor IPA is a complex, unique, and creative brew to be sipped and savored. I applaud Cigar City for this "outside the box" beer. While I was not expecting to enjoy this nearly as much as I did, I would certainly have this again. Recommended. (861 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -52.6%

Bottle

Thanks for opening this with me, DarthKostrizer!

Dark, hazy copper and auburn with a moderately sized very light khaki colored head that leaves small smears of lace down the glass. This is a very pretty beer, and the appearance is its best aspect, unfortunately.

I knew this would be an unpleasant drinking experience from the first moment I shoved my nose into the glass. The aroma is of boiled cabbage, old, crusted Heinz Ketchup, some salt, and a bit of cedar. This doesn't smell like anything I want to put in my mouth.

The flavor isn't quite as horrific as the aroma, as the damp cedar dominates the flavor. There's still significant vegetable (cabbage, earth, and old tomato) flavors as well, but the cedar flavor lingers on and on.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Decent enough.

I will decline a pour of this beer the next time it is offered. This was perhaps the worst IPA I've ever had. (917 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +2%

poured into Stone IPA stemware. thanks to sendsilk for the hookup!

A - hazy rusty colored body with a bubbly, white, thin head that faded to thin cap; light spotty lacing

S - cedar and black pepper(lots of both), cigar, leather

T - some malty flavors, probably from the age, but not unwanted; definitely a strong hops presence there still as well though; the cedar is much lighter than the almost overpowering aroma would suggest

M - light-medium body; light carbonation; short, drying linger

O - i liked the proportion of hops to malt to cedar; a very interesting beer that did not disappoint; strong flavors but surprisingly drinkable; a must-try if you can find one (674 characters)

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing