Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2009

Ratings: 922 | Reviews: 450
3.61/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I think this is the correct beer. I couldn't match up the label on my beer to exactly what was on here. My cousin brought this back from the brewery, so big thanks to BudAssassin21 for this bottle.

750 mL poured into a tulip.

A - Pours a copperish/amber color with about a finger width of head (or more depending on how you pour it). The head is pillowy, and soft, and leaves nice lacing on the glass.

S - This thing smells like a lumber yard. The cedar is overpowering. There may be some hints of earth..like freshly tilled earth, but not much else. Maybe some orange peel...

T - Kind of follows the nose...it's like I'm gnawing on wood in the lumber aisle at home depot. Cedar just overpowers all other aspects of the beer. I don't even know what I'd pair with this.

M - Medium body with lots of carbonation. My tongue is prickly before I even get the beer to the back of my pallet....palate, whatever.

D - It's kind of harsh. I'll finish the 750 mL, but I kind of wish I had someone else to share this with.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Amber frothfest that looks good in the glass. Fades to a thin lacing.

Excellent aroma of citrus/pine hops and somehow perfectly accented by the cedar. Great nose.

Fantastic flavor that brings the normal Jai Alai out of the malt and back into a pale ale with some distinction. Citrus, pine, but never the flavor of cedar. It's like the cedar somehow exalts the normal flavors in the Jai Alai to a point where the right harmony is reached.

Resinous and a little oily, and I feel the carbonation is a little clumsy? It's the carbonation level appropriate for the regular Jai Alai but not quite right for the Humidor.

Great beer, on par with the top west coast pale ales.

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle supplied as an extra by a generous Florida BA having side by side with the regular jai-alai.

a- we've got a gusher. it didn't stop at that though. the hazy orange liquid produced a massive amount of head. nice lacing, too.

s- compared to the regular IPA this literally almost smells like wood-chips at first. the IPA is under there though. citrus and caramel malt are most prevelent. slightly floral as well. the cedar may be a bit heavy but it's not off putting at all.

t- the woodiness from the cedar is still obvious but it doesn't cover up the IPA base nearly as much as in the aroma. it melds very well with the big caramel malt flavors. some floral and citric hop bitterness. slightly biscuit-like. a great balanced IPA taking advantage of a large malt profile to make a very good IPA.

m- very full bodied for the style. plenty of carbo. a bit of stickiness.

d- goes down as easy as any I can think of and packs a punch at 7.5%. I'd definitely have again I see it anywhere

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

Thanks goes to Heatwave33.

The appearance has all the markings of a good brew: thick off-white head, translucent dark amber color, lacing from top to bottom and bubbly.

The smell of this brew is lacking. I certainly smell the cedar wood, but at no time could I smell anything else.

The taste is a little better than the smell. When the brew was cold, I was only able to taste cedar and a little bit of sweetness. As it warmed up I did pick up some hoppy bitterness.

The feel is nice. There's adequate carbonation and light body. The bottle says the brew is unfiltered, but the appearance nor the feel reflected this. I would expect to see some cloudiness and a light-to-medium body. In my opinion, this is simply an observation, not a negative critique.

I do enjoy IPA's that are aged with wood. That extra layer, or layers, of complexity is a welcome change from the usual profile. My only disappointment is that I expected more hops in the nose. Maybe a bottle that is more fresh would deliver this. This is an interesting beer that I recommend you try once. I don't smoke cigars, but I imagine this brew would make a good pair.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours golden brown in the glass with the thickest head I've ever experienced on a beer. Its the same head you get when you make a root beer float.

Smells- very spicy notes to this one, almost siason like. Im guessing its from the cedar wood. No too much hop character but some citrus sweetness to it.

Taste- woody taste throughout with some almost spicy cigar characterlistics . Very unique. More malty than hoppy. Hops seem to kick in at the end with more woody spice

Overall- its one hell of a beer well worth hunt and it is one of the most unique ipas i've had.

4.31/5  rDev +6.2%

via trade with BastionShaw

Poured from a 750ml into Boulevard Smokestack Goblet. Unsure of freshness as I did not see a freshness date. I didn't expect too much from this as it had pegged my 'over-hype' meter into the danger zone.

The aroma from across the room -- as I did not pour this myself -- was unreal. A nice combination of hops and 'weird' wood (cedar) in the nose. Not a typical crazy west coast hop aroma, which was a welcome surprise.

Visually, it is a nice looking beer, but nothing too special. The pour was good, but the head didn't make a lasting impression. Amber color with a delicate off white foam.

Wow, there is a lot going on when this beer hits the tongue. The combination of the cedar -- which I dislike in some other beers -- with whatever else is happening here gives a very tannic, tobacco-like sensation. It almost feels like a gimmick coming from a brewery named 'Cigar City', but it's so different from any other beer I have tasted, that I can't help but want more. A tempered, but sturdy, hop flavor balances the cedar perfectly. The malt is just enough to provide some structure, but I could use a smidge more. Flavor wise, this is one of the more interesting beers, I've tasted. I really enjoy this beer.

Mouthfeel is spot on for what I need out of a wood aged IPA. Enough carbonation to scrub with enough body to keep it from becoming a hot cedar mess. It's perfect for what this beer needs.

Drinkability: Well, as much as I love this beer, it's not the most drinkable bottle in the bunch. I split the 750 with one person, and it was almost too much. After every taste, I let go of my glass while the 'tannic' woody flavors took hold. I really wanted more, but I needed a quick break after every pull. Alcohol is completely hidden, but the cedar / tobacco balance really dries the mouth. Split 3 ways, I would be clamoring for more, but 2 ways was almost more than I wanted.

Overall, I would love to have another bottle of this. Actually, I'd love 2. One to cellar away (yes, the heresy!!!) to see how the hops and cedar play over the years, and another to drink soon.

This is a great beer. The hype may be overblown, but not by much. You should try it at least once. I'd like to have more.

2.19/5  rDev -46.1%

Poured into my duel tulip.
Smells like cedar shaving with beer spilled on them
Tastes of cedar, and hops, with a bit of malt in the back. This beer is very off putting. I really feel like I'm licking a tree when i drink it. In my opinion the reason for this beers high rating is the hype monster. Its not good, the cedar is far too strong. I have had the regular jai-alai and its wonderful, so why mess with it. The only answer i can come up with is that CCB wants to make hype work for them. Which they seem to do very very well.
Not a good beer at all.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

I guess this is what I've got?

It is a very hazy, dark honey color with a nice fluffy cream colored head that leaves wonderful lace as it recedes. A millimeter or so of film hangs out atop the beer as I drink it and it leaves nice sheets of lace.

Smell is nice an hoppy -- lots of citrus hops in this one -- with some cedar and a hint of tobacco. Maybe I'm imagining that. but sweeter than a typical AIPA for sure. It smells delicious.

This is a wonderfully mellow IPA! It's got a lot of big hop flavor but the bitterness is really well smoothed out. The cedar imparts a nice bright woodiness to it, and there really is some tobaccoey character, but it doesn't taste like a cigarette -- it's a spicy character, more like fresh tobacco smells, in a way? A nice bitter finish has me reaching for the glass again.

A bit sticky and oily on the palate, with a medium body and a moderate and creamy carbonation. Slightly dry at the finish.

A little too easy to drink, but worth lingering over. Switching to a regular AIPA after this should be interesting.

750 ml to snifter. Appearance is good; deep from the wood, but fairly translucent. Smell is also good; hops and cedar are present, but neither is overbearing. Taste is good too. The barreling is present, but it doesn't detract from the brew the way many barreled IPAs do. It's also not too hoppy (which is a refreshing change of pace). Mouthfeel is - yep, you guessed it - good. Pretty carbonated, but not heavy or hot. Overall, a truly enjoyable IPA that I can actually enjoy with my wife (it's not overly hoppy). My first Cigar City brew - and I'm now eagerly anticipating the whiskey-barreled imperial milk porter :)

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Looking for something different to drink tonight and boy did I find it. Forgot I even had this in the cellar.

I was surprised to see the variation in reviews for this beer. Granted this is a very unique beer but the reviews are all over the map. Any way, here we go.

Pours a cloudy orange color with about 1/2 inch cream colored head that fades pretty quickly. Bottle conditioned, so watch your pour.

Smells like the name implies; malt, cedar and tobacco.

My initial impression was alot of grapefruit flavor with a background of pepper and spice. As the beer warmed the cedar and tobacco really begin to come out.

Carbonation wasn't overwhelming and mouthfeel overall was fairly light for a beer with this much flavor.

Overall, one of the most unique and interesting beers I've had in a while. Not something I would drink on a regular basis but a good one to throw in the rotation when you are looking for something different.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Big thanks to my father for bringing this one back from Florida with him
Poured from a bomber into a snifter

A- pours a hazy burnt orange color, very large 2 finger off white head emerges, a good amount of sticky lacing is left on the glass

S- get hit with hops from the start, somewhat grassy, nice citrus notes of grapefruit and orange rind, nice woody cedar notes as well, slightly sweet caramel notes bring up the rear, pretty nice smell

T- starts with the sweet caramel flavors, is quickly followed by bready malt, the hops are interesting, they bring about a slight bitterness with maintaining nice citrus flavor, the cedar adds an interesting touch, nice woodiness without being as prominent as oak, not as bitter as most American IPA's i've had

M- nice medium body, somewhat high carbonation that pairs well with the body and flavor, very smooth, finishes somewhat dry and refreshing

D- very easy to drink, I like this beer a lot, I would have liked to have seen more bitterness in this but it was tasty nonetheless, if I ever get an opportunity to grab this one again I will for sure

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Cigar City Humidor Series IPA

A- cloudy amber/orange with a big fluffy slightly off white head. Lacing all the way down the glass.

S- the smell is great. A lot of passion fruit, pineapple, mango. Really like a sweet tropical fruit salad.

T- it tastes the same as the smell. The hop flavors are on the fruity/aromatics side with a bunch of tropical fruits. Has a slight hop bitterness to balance it out. I'm not sure if I tasted the cedar.

M- medium mouthfeel, a bit sticky, bit low on carbonation (it needed more). Has kind of a fuzzy fruit nectar mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

O- I liked this beer a lot. It's not an IPA for hop heads. It's a very mellow laid back type of IPA. I like that its a bit more about the flavor of the beer without trying to crank up the hops. Very good, very drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%

The beer pours slightly hazy and copper in color with a huge 4 finger light tan head with giant bubbles. Over the few minutes it took me to get my computer set up the head has slowly begun to fade, but the lacing clings strong to the edges of the glass. The nose is full of pine and citrus hops along with a grounded earthy character.

With the first sip I'm struck with bitter grapefruit, and then as that initial flavor starts to fade the cedar starts to take over. It reminds me of what you would hope a humidor would taste like if you licked it. The key point there is "what you would hope", I'm sure if you licked a humidor it would taste nasty.

The finish is very dry and invites you to take the next sip. This is overall a fantastic beer. Traditional Jai Alai is an amazing beer, but this cedar aged version takes it to such a different level. I need to pick up more cigar city beers.

4.16/5  rDev +2.5%

Thanks Greg! Poured from bomber into my Kentucky Ale snifter.

A- pours a very bright orange copper with a bright half inch white head. Carbonation bubbles continuously rising from bottom with nice lacing.

S- very weak for an ipa but also very unique. Instead of hops I'm getting the cedar wood and a caramel scent. Good just not great.

T- the cedar plays a great balancing act with the bitter hops and create a tasty treat. Unlike any ipa I've had but really Good

M- medium bodied with Just the right carbonation

D- one of the easiest drinking ipas I've had. No alcohol in sight and a pleasure to drink

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle poured into pint glass on 3/30/11.
My first ever Cigar City beer. This ale pours with an amazing orange hue topped with a creamy off-white head. Great retention and amazing lace. The nose of this IPA is great for the style and adds a uniqueness I've never experienced before. Citrus hops, honey, a touch of pine... and CEDAR. You can smell the cedar- faint at first but after a few good sniffs it's there. As I take my first sips I immediately appreciate the balance between the sweet honey notes and the slight bitterness from the pine and citrus notes. Of course the cedar-aging is present and plays along with the other flavors nicely. My only complaint is how long the cedar wood lingers in the mouth. It's good at first but becomes overwhelming by the end of the glass. Medium body and medium carbonation. My overall impression is this beer is fantastic and I loved it all the way (aside from too much cedar) and is a top 5 IPA in my opinion.

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Got this one from the Whole Foods located behind the brewery when I was in Tampa less than a month ago. Here we go...

A- Poured from the wonderful 750 ml. bottle into my Cigar City pint glass. Pours yellow/orange with a slight haze to it. Head starts off strong and dissipates quickly.
S- Not much in this department. Normal, I suppose.
T- The best part! At first, you get a great citrus flavor similar to grapefruit. Very nice balance, not overwhelmed with bitterness. I really enjoy the flavors. When you thought you were done the cedar kicks into a smooth finish.
Nice!
M- I might have ranted too much in the Taste department, but well balanced and perfect carbonation.
D- I wish we could get this in Panama City. Maybe one day.

-Bye

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

This beauty of a beer is the cigar city jai alai ipa aged on cedar spirals. Taking the tour a couple months back was very informative on how they age the beers on different woods and the amount of time that they do it for. Pours a nice murky orange tinged color. Great nose of cedar wood on this one, everybody does oak so the subtle smell of the cedar has been such a breath of fresh air. Has that usual jai alai finish that i like, very hoppy especially for a regular IPA, most DIPA don't have this much aroma. Stockpile this if you can, seems harder and harder to get

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Had this on my visit to Cigar City. Served in a pint glass.

A: darkish orange color, a bit opaque. Very small head that managed to stay for quite a while. Good lacing.

S: cedar, pines, oak, hints of herbal and citric notes. Very nice but this smell wasn't as strong as the regular bottled Jai Alai IPA I've tried previously which I thought it was a bit weird.

T: follows the nose with a woody taste, hops, citric hints, a touch of spicyness as well that doesn't get in the way. Everything is very balanced, nothing offensive. Amazing taste for an IPA.

M: medium carbonation. Finishes off excellently and smoothly; goes down well for being an IPA.

O: no wonder this is one of Cigar City's award winning beers. If you are into IPAs this is a must-have. Heck, even if you're not a big IPA fan (like myself) you should definitely try this amazing beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours out of the 750mL bottle into a Chimay glass a nice yellow color. A nice white head, about 1/4 inch sits atop the beer.

S: Grapefruit, and a little spicey...almost peppery.

T: I love Jai Alai, and this is Jai Alai on steriods...not so much by the content of alcohol, but the awesomeness that the cedar aging gives this beer. It's spicy tasting, and almost peppery in taste. This beer has a bit of bite to it.

D: I like this beer a lot! I look forward to every bottle that I open. Another great Cigar City selection. If you can get it, take it! It's a great IPA!

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Cloudy orange amber color. Head has great staying power.

Smells of hops and spice. Getting the cigar cedar thing in the nose.

Woodsy flavor, strong hops and cedar. Tastes like a perfect marriage of cigars and beer. Maltiness is full without being overly sweet.

Dry finish, wood and floral hops persist in the finish. Excellent.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

750 ml bottle that I shared with some folks at a beer tasting this past weekend.

A - Hazy golden / orange color. Not much of a head as didn't pour a lot into the tasting glass. What head there was dissipated quickly and left a small white cap.

S - Holy cedar, Batman! Lots and lots of wood / earthy tones. Kinda peppery as well. A little bit of citrus (grapefruit) comes through, but this is definitely a cedar aged beer, and it comes through big time.

T & M - Again, lots of cedar. Decent carbonation. Some earthy hops / malt backbone, but again, dominated by the woodsy cedar aging.

Overall - I liked it. I thought it was interesting. Other people that tried it thought it was disgusting and dumped it. It's definitely not for everyone. I love a nice bitter IPA, and this one was that and then some. If you don't like cedar, earthy, woodsy scents / tastes - then avoid this... you'll hate it. If you do - then it's worth a try.

3.64/5  rDev -10.3%

Thanks to glazeman for this one who got it as an extra from moose3285. A few quick comments about this tasty brew - the cedar aging in this definitely comes through in the nose, giving this beer a unique and wonderful smell. The taste is a bit boozy and perhaps a little too malty, but overall, this is a good beer - one I would certainly try again. In terms of mouthfeel, this beer was way too carbonated.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into a Stone RIS Snifter.

A: Pours a nice orange/peach color. A decent amount of carbonation. 1 inch white foam.

S: On the citrusy side along with a detectable hint of cedar, as the beer warmed up it began to smell like a fresh bag of weed. The nose was great for nostalgia.

T: Tangerine with the piney hop bitterness to it. Cedar flavor is noticeable, very balanced though. It has a fresh wood feeling that a lot of the other wood aged beers do not get. It adds a nice character to the beer.

M/D: The carbonation is pretty high on this beer. It was absolutely delicious and very interesting as IPA's go. I really enjoyed the unique character this beer had. It was like every other IPA out there and it worked very well. I will be seeking this out again.

4.82/5  rDev +18.7%

Served at cellar temp and poured from a bomber into a SA perfect pint glass. Pours rich and clear orange, then cloudy from the yeast sediment, which to me enhances the flavor. Thick 2 finger white head.

Wow - strong grapefruit peel aroma. Hint of cigar box from the cedar. Spicy woody hops on tongue. Earthy flavors - cedar nuances on tongue - really nice touch. Pleasantly bitter on back and sides of tongue. Great malt/hop balance.

Really complex - love this beer. An IPA in a league of its own. True this brew whenever you can.

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

A- very hazy like a golden cloud. Cloudier than any IPA I've seen. A fat, soft, fluffy white head rises up and hangs out for awhile.

S- Sharp zesty notes of citrus and grapefruit. There's a smooth subdued earthy scent that I assume comes from the cedar. The cedar adds an interesting element I can't quite put my finger on.

T/M- A strong and sweet malt presence smacks upfront, but is nowhere near out of balance. The wood is really interesting and I like the way it rounds out and brings together all of the flavors. A creamy, big bodied IPA that feels more like a DIPA. The hops really hide underneath the wood and malt upfront, but flank your palate and pull a surprise attack. A sharp bitterness, sweet and sour grapefruit, and just a touch of citrusy orange peel. There's also an herbal spiciness. An amazing finish that hits a wall. Just as you imbibe and the hop flavor hits a crescendo the flavors are mopped up almost completely and only a bit of malty sweetness lingers faintly.

O- A really nice IPA and I love the way the wood plays in this beer. I wish there was a little more hop presence as this finishes so crisp; it's nice but I think it needs even more hopping. While this is a very interesting beer, its not quite great and I wouldn't reach for it over and over again.

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing