Bolita Brown - Mochaccino - Cigar City Brewing

pDev: n/a
Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

English Brown Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 07-24-2009)
Reviews by FtownThrowDown:
3.93/5  rDev n/a

Pours a very dark brown, nearly black in color. A bubbly ring of head forms on the pour. Doesn't stick around long, and is gone before I take my first sip.
Smell is heavily roasted espresso. Dominated in the nose by this roasted espresso notes.
Taste is very roasty espresso, some cocoa at the very back end. There's just the slightest hint of vanilla in the finish. Very roasty and smokey in the flavor. There's very low carbonation and almost seems like it may be flat.
Very good roasted flavor. Would like to see the vanilla come through more in the flavor as well. Decent beer.

4.2/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to RoyMunson for sharing.

A: Pours a very deep brown, completely opaque. Pours with very little head and not much lacing.

S: Deep brown with plenty of unexpected burnt toasty and coffee notes. Some deeply bitter chocolate in the back with just a touch of sweetness from some vanilla in the back.

T/M: More of the dark roast and coffee with a big brown base. More deeply bitter chocolate paired with the coffee and lightly balanced with the light vanilla. Body is medium full and a bit weak due to a major lack of carbonation.

D: Very tasty and unique. The lack of carbonation really hurts things.

4.7/5  rDev n/a

32oz medicine bottle growler provided and split with fellow BA Infestaxion. Thanks Daive! Served in an oversized tulip.

A: Dark Brown. No light getting through this murky mess. Half a finger of light brown head that went quick. Great lacing.

S: Rich, roasty overpowering Cuban coffee. You can tell quality when you smell it! There's some underlying chocolate notes, but the coffee almost overwhelms them.

T: Tastes much like it smells, and that's a good thing. A very good thing. BIG roasty espresso goodness. Dark coaco coats the mouth, and finishes with some sweet vanilla. Not overly complex, but then some of the best things in life aren't!

M: Mouthfeel is heftier than I thought it would be. Medium to heavy, with the carbonation level just right. Very smooth and creamy.

D: Goes down super easy for such an intense, flavorful beer. I could have finished the entire 32oz growler myself. No doubt about it.

It's a good time to be living down in Florida. Hurricanes haven't been bad, the entire nation isn't mad at you for screwing up the election, and Cigar City Brewing is churning out some killer brews like Mochaccino Bolita. Of course you could be in Florida waiting to die, but even then you can hopefully still enjoy some CCB on your deathbed. Mochaccino Bolita is so far my favorite offering from CCB and I can't wait to try more. Also please distribute to Indiana in the future. We like Florida a lot here, and already infuse your economy during vacation time.

4.83/5  rDev n/a

Bolita aged on Cuban espresso, Madagascar vanilla and Peruvian cacao nibs.

Huge thanks to greg for this one. I have to say I am doing very, very limited drinking these days, and this truly made my day. Cracked the growler with dinner tonight and finished it throughout the evening. Consumed on 07/23/2009.

Appearance - Very nice pour here, dare I say nearly exceptional as the rich dark brown color over took a book straight out of a rich coffee house creation. Nice tan head caps the glass perfectly at a height of nearly two inches before dropping down to a thin veil and coating the entirety of the glass.

Smell - Rich chocolate and coffee fill the air the second you crack the lid. Sweet milk chocolate aroma is soo heavenly I melt in the chair. Fresh brewed coffee that is laced with vanilla and hints of sugar just wonderful.

Taste - The I took a taste of one of the best beers I have ever run across. Maybe it was the week long drought of beer for me, maybe it was that the style is most likely at the top of things I look for, who knows. But it doesnt matter, what matters is the rich chocolate flavor that coats my tongue from the very first sip. So soothing and sweet, elegantly mixed with some fine fresh coffee flavors, hints of vanilla and molasses, all suddenly colliding at just the right time to produce a sublime taste, something I would pay to have on a daily basis.

Feel - For the style very full bodied, but I have to say it really works for it. Perfect carbonation really lets the flavor coat the tongue and give you the full expierence, but at the same time it keeps from getting too thick or overbearing and everything stays firmly in line.

Drinkability- Could I possibly have something hit my pint glass that is easier to drink or more enjoyable for me, I really think not.

Overall - I gotta say, I am a huge fan of CCB and I will not hide that. I have been lucky enough to try a great deal of their offerings, but that is truly not enough for me. Say what you will but this is a damn, damn fine beer here. Near perfection for me in a sessionable, full flavored and not too heavy brown ale. I only wish I lived closer.

4.22/5  rDev n/a

Man I finally made it to CCB and it was for the Hunahpu release and I wouldnt be anywhere else.

As for Bolita...

A: it pours dark as sh!t but tastes amazing, Its got colors of dark hazel nut and mahogany mixed. Really interesting.

S: wow...smells just like you would think. Totally CCB style. Its deep, rich, cocoa stlye with hints of cedar and tons of alcohol.

T/M: carbonation was legit bit not overbeareing. It was strong. Medium to full bodied.

D: love this beer. It was all around something different from something that I am used too and thats cool for St Paddys day.

Slainte

4.65/5  rDev n/a

Happy to have gotten the chance to try this beer. A 32oz growler shared with a friend, poured into a Cigar City snifter.

Very deep brown color with moderate clarity and a one-finger tan head. Very dense foam that subsides to a thin cap. Nice lacing coats the glass.

Up front, all I smell is coffee. As I dig deeper I pull out rich vanilla and some caramel. Bolita pushes through and makes its presence known with a sweet toffee aroma.

Tastes like fresh espresso beans. Not harsh, just very earthy, nutty and pleasing overall. Some vanilla-caramel sweetness at the finish. Wonderful balance of flavor- every layer blends together in perfect harmony.

Moderate carbonation. Smooth and silky mouthfeel with a slight drying finish that makes this wonderfully enjoyable. I can't believe this is 9%. The alcohol is nowhere to be found.

Thank you, Cigar City, for this ridiculously awesome beer.

4.47/5  rDev n/a

Tasted before I skipped the country for a bit.

A: Poured a nice dark nutty brown hue with a nice tall creamy head. Good retention and lace.

S: Wonderful rich Cuban Espresso right up front. Subtle hints of vanilla and caramel. The rich roasted malts from the base Bolita is there along with a touch of chocolate.

T: Bold bold bold espresso. This one is coffee forward for sure. The vanilla mingles in the back and plays off the nibs. Mochaccino is a great name for this one. The base beer is not lost here. The wonderful Bolita stands up to the treatment of espresso, vanilla, and chocolate to create another real solid beer.

M: Fuller side of medium for the style. Rich, bold, and tasty. Great carbonation to carry the big bold flavors.

D: Another solid cigar city beer. Once I could sit back and enjoy morning or night.

4.78/5  rDev n/a

16 oz flip top, filled at the brewery, into red wine glass. Big thanks to Greg (tpd795) for the effort in getting this out to me! Having a bit of experience with the Maduro, I let this one warm up to about 45 degrees and up from there before I even considered reviewing it.

Pours a dark brown that goes reddish brown around the edges, maybe a very light haze to it, with a one-finger light-khaki head that settles into a thin soapy layer.

Nose carries everything you'd expect it to - big fat cocoa with just a bit of a woody nod to the nibs themselves, a light dose of earthy coffee grounds, and a beautiful vanilla sweetness really makes this one take off. Just a bit of nutty brown ale underneath, but the three beans are the star in this one. Very impressive.

Taste up front is nutty, with smooth medium-dark chocolate coming out (just a bit of caramel mixed in there, but the coffee is by far the big brother), before taking off with a roasty espresso note from the coffee that carries all the way through to the finish - fantastic. Vanilla really shows off on the finish, which is the keynote to the whole experience - all three flavors really come out to shine as the flavor lingers in your mouth, the perfect blend of coffee, chocolate, and vanilla, sweetness and bitterness. The best big brown ale I've had, hands down. Finish has a smooth bitterness to it from the espresso that works perfectly with the rest of the beer.

Mouthfeel is medium full bodied, but with a lightness to it from the soft, coating, crisp carbonation.

Drinkability is phenomenal. Not a hint of the big 9% abv, but the flavors are just out of this world. Sweetness and bitterness sit in perfect harmony, neither lingering too long, each showing up right when it's needed.

Wow. The Cacao Maduro was a good beer, but this takes it way further. Showcases the coffee, cocoa, and vanilla perfectly. Phenomenal.

Bolita Brown - Mochaccino from Cigar City Brewing
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.