Bolita Brown - Mayan Espresso - Cigar City Brewing

No picture uploaded.

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

English Brown Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: cjgator3 on 08-11-2009)
4.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another gem of a growler from the boys down in Tampa. This was one I really could not wait to try as it seemed as though it would be right up my alley, Served chilled and poured into a couple of pint glasses.

The pour was nearly spot on. Rich dark brown in color with a smooth and even look to it. Nice head about an inch high peaking up and over the top seemed to hang there effortlessly for a while and really completed the look very nicely. The aroma though was divine. Rich chocolate and coffee notes just oozing into the air above the glass. So rich and sweet it was almost too much to handle. I could never have gotten sick of this, just too good! So letting it warm just serves to bring this out even more. I am so incredibly impressed that I just have to go in for a big sip, and then this wave of coffee infused chocolate just rolls across the tongue. It was like the most delicious dessert I have ever come across. Decadent and divine, ABV nowhere to be scene and a smooth, full bodied flavor that had me reeling for more.

I cannot say enough good things about this one. I have had a ton, and I mean a ton of CCB brews already and this one may be damn close to my favorite. Just so rich and complex I was floored. It may be my most favorite style now, the coffee, chocolate alet!

mikesgroove, Sep 04, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

32 ounce growler via Greg, thanks for sending this one across the states buddy, poured into my Kapittel Watou chalice tonight right after opening the package, color is a dark brown with mild red tint, one inch creamy light tan head, some lacing at first but not later on, aroma consists of different kind of spicy peppers, lots of coffee and it is certainly espresso, roasted malts, dark chocolate, burned accents, nuts, mild cream, and ortega chiles, taste starts off with a jalapeno-like flavor, chiles mixed with cashews in the middle, malts are roasty and they fade into dryness and espresso almost simulatenously in the finish, peppers fade a little as it warms, espresso sticks around and becomes a little more subtle as time goes by, cannot taste much of the double brown ale in the background, flavors are good but seem to overshadow the base beer quite a bit, roasted, spicy, dry, and tingly mouthfeel, medium bodied, moderate carbonation that is pretty creamy, taste lingers well especially as it warms, could have drank the growler of this which is impressive for a nine percent beer, not heavy at all, alcohol is hidden very well, smooth for a beer with real spiciness, espresso hides it well too, not my favorite Cigar City beer I have had to date but still very good, lots of different things going on in this one, look forward to seeing what other things they do with Bolita and opening the bourbon version soon, would drink again, recommended

Floydster, Aug 31, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Beer pours a golden brown with a slight hade where the light comes trhough. Not much head, but I blame my procrastination to drink the beer.

I smell the coffee, the base nut brown beer and I can barely detect the peppers used in the brew. Nice smell, I just wish I could smell a little more pepper.

The coffee is apparent, but nowhere near as pevalent as in the Mocha Cubano treatment. The chili peppers come through a little, but it's more of a small bite to the coffee. There is also a sweet note tasting faintly of peaches in the after taste. No clue where that's from.

The beer is creamy and has just enough carbonation. There is just some small thing keeping it from a perfect 5 and I can't put my finger on it.

This beer, like most CC brews, is very drinkable. I woule probably limit myself to one, but I would definately have another given the chance. I hate the fact that I keep comparing it to the Mocha Cubano Bolita, as I really enjoyed that beer. If only I had this one first both might have gottan an A+. Oh, well. It's still a great brew!

RomaniIteDomum, Aug 26, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Very excited to try this one. Growler, poured into a snifter.

A: Deep, rich, brown color. The pour produces one finger of sand colored head that receeds quickly and leaves very little lace.

A: Cuban espresso all the way here. Just like sticking your nose in fresh grounds. I get some light chocolate and a very faint tingle in the nose from the chiles.

T: Again, this is a very coffee forward beer. Sweet and roasty malts are portrayed very well. Where it gets interesting is about 30 seconds after swallowing. This is where the small heat from the chiles come in. It's not overpowering, infact it is strangely nice, it just gives it an extra level of complexity.

M: Heavier than the Maduro, but lighter than the hunahpus. So I'll go with Medium body and average carbonation.

D and overall impression: For me drinkability is great. I am a coffee lover, so I could drink quite a lot of this. Overall, another outstanding brew from CCB. The treatments they are doing on some of the regular offerings, are just out of this world. Skal.

Gtreid, Aug 22, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

A: Pours a nice dark brown with a tall tan head. Good retention and lace.

S: Nice aromas of roasted malt, with bold espresso. Nice vanilla notes with just a hint of the chili's.

T: Tasty for sure, much more mild than Hunahpus though. The character of the Bolita is there. Nice roast with a slight nutty character. The espresso is most forward by far which was expected, it is hard to cover up cuban espresso. Real Cocoa is there for sure along with hints of vanilla. The cinnamon and peppers are fairly muted but present.

M: Medium in body, smooth, perfect carbonation.

D: Good, another tasty treatment by CCB.

tpd975, Aug 20, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap at Brass Tap in Wesley Chapel, FL. Pours a hazy brown with a creamy tan head. Nose is chocolate, spice, slight wood, roast, unique coffee (Mayan??), and barely noticeable nut characteristic in the aroma. Mayan espresso yields a ton of spicy, earthy cinnamon-esque flavor followed by roast, woody/ earthy malt, and great coffee flavor. Still as seductive as regular Bolita, but lots of new taste in this full-bodied, unique beer. LOTS of Hunahpu character, very Mayan/ South American. Another great CCB beer.

markwise, Aug 12, 2009
Bolita Brown - Mayan Espresso from Cigar City Brewing
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.