Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: tpd975 on 10-01-2009

"O. R. C." pours brown in color with an aroma reminiscent of oatmeal raisin cookies (of course). Mild cinnamon and vanilla notes upfront in the flavor with emerging raisin notes. Lingering spices in the finish with hints of toasted bread.

4.94/5  rDev +22.6%

On tap at Capone's during Philly Beer Week. My wife actually ordered this and I got to take sips and sniffs, wishing ever so desperately that I'd decided to get it, and knowing that my driving would be fatally impaired if I decided to order one more beer. Sigh, life.

This beer looks like any other Maduro, but it's not. The aroma is that of cinnamon, oats, and large grains of sugar - and boy oh boy is the best yet to come. I know this kind of sentiment is tossed around a lot on BA - but I have never drank anything that is closer to a liquified dessert than this. It absolutely captures the taste and the mouthfeel of an oatmeal raisin cookie without any of the crumbs. Big molasses sweetness, cinnamon, raisin, grain - this, to me, is the perfect example of what a brown ale can aspire to be. Bravo, Cigar City. This is the Maduro to try. (844 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

Heard a lot about this beer from friends but have been hesitant to try it as it seemed a bit much to expect a beer to taste like Oatmeal raisin cookies.

I know I am serving the beer too cold as I had put it in the fridge 6 hours ago and meant to take it out about 1/2 hour ago. So it has about a 1/4" head with light lacing that dissipates relatively quickly. Took 1 quick sip and decided to wait a while to let it warm.

Wow, what a difference. Smell is not overbearing but distinctly there. I can smell cinnamon, raisin, outmeal and a distinct sweetness. Reminds me of smelling Cinnabon at the mall.

It's fairly well carbonated but thinner in mouthfeel than I expected..but WHAT a taste. Truly like an Oatmeal raisin cookie! Cinnamon, raisin and I swear I can taste the ICING on the top of the cookie. I bought a 4 pack of these and it certainly won't be my last!

The real kicker for me is that distinct icing taste that seems to coat the underlying cookie. What a great brew! (1,011 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +17.1%

Appearance: Arrives at the bar with a cola brown color but no cap and, as a result, no lace

Smell: As the name would suggest, this smells like oatmeal raisin cookies; also some brown bread elements

Taste: Oatmeal raisin cookie flavors up front, followed by a brown bread finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Very unusual, to say the least and gets high marks for creativity; I love oatmeal raisin cookies and love this beer (460 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - deep brown color mild carbonation with a thick off white head

S - mellow oatmeal smell with a slight sweetness guessing from the usage of raisins

T - this is super easy to describe tastes exactly like an oatmeal raisin cookie your almost going to forget that your actually drinking a beer and start looking for a glass of milk

M - very smooth no burn or sharpness from an alcohol presence and flavors are very well balanced and come through well

D - very drinkable the beer is sweet but not over poweringly and is good for a couple at a time (552 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%

A: Dark Reddish Brown Opaque with no head but a small ring of bubbles around the glass.

S: Roasted Malts, Caramel, Cinnamon, dark fruit, floral hops.

T: Raisons, Caramel, Oatmeal, Cinnamon, Roasted Barley. Like eating an oatmeal cookie. Subtle hop flavor.

MF: smooth and slick with some Co2 tingle. medium to high body.

D: A very tasty and interesting brown ale. I could drink alot of this. (395 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at the Cigar City tasting room in Tampa. Pours a dark brownish black color with a nice light tan colored head. The aroma is amazingly similar to what you would imagine an Oatmeal Raisin Cookie to smell like. A lot of sweet malts and dark fruits with a ton of raisin in the aroma. Absolutely amazing they pulled off the aroma the way they did. The taste like the aroma is really delicios. Sweet malt and dark fruits with a real smooth finish. This beer is very drinkable. Would be an awesome breakfast beer, or even a tasty dessert beer as well. Didn't think I would enjoy this one as much as I did but it was fantastic! (626 characters)

Enjoyed on tap at The Blue Piano in Miami, FL

A--Poured a warm brown, nut color with a 2" foamy heady that was a little bit off-white-to-tan. Lot of light came through.

S--In the simplest terms--it smells like mom's kitchen. Warm oatmeal raisin cookies. There are notes of vanilla, raisins, oatmeal, and sugar. This smells exactly like its name suggests.

T--YUM! This follows the nose fantastically. The raisins are easy to detect. Then comes a slight nut taste. Then a wave of vanilla and oatmeal.

M--It has a slight watery feel. The smell led me to believe it would have a thick mouth feel, but it was lighter than what I believed.

O--I'm not a brown ale fan, but this is one of the best beers I have ever had. The smell and taste of this beer brings back so many memories of childhood that it is hard not to love this. (826 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%

Thank you many times to North Babylon Superstar for bringing cigar city into town.

a -Had this before in the bottle. Doesn't look as amazing I had remembered, but that nice head and color was present still. The head on this was HUGE, foamy and frothy when I poured it into my oversized snifter. Color is a deep plum, shiny and rich.

s -Exact a the bottle, if not better. Earthy tangy sweet malty goodness. I detect fruitpunch and brown sugar. Some plum and grape...mouth watering. Cinammon in the background. Actually smells somewhat like an oatmeal raisin cookie.

t -unreal. Oatmeal raisin cookie.

m/d -My exact thoughts as from the bottle. If ben & jerry's could make a beer, this would be the beer. Maybe a bit more watery from the tap? (745 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured out of a standard 12 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a dark brown with reddish tints. Head was massive off white to light brown.

S - Well like it's name has a very similar smell to what else..oatmeal cookie raisin cookies! Has a touch of sweet in the smell maybe vanilla.

T - Raisins and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg) are the first thing I noticed. Pronounced taste like the smell. Has just the slightest touch of bitterness but it balances very well with the sweetness. Nice faint chocolate taste is where the sweetness comes from. I thought the taste got better and better as it warmed up.

M - Nicely carbonated. Medium bodied. Creamy and refreshing.

D - Yes. This makes a good session though it's ABV may fall slightly above the norm. Excellent. (768 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Thanks to Redbike22 for the growler! Poured into my Stone RIS tulip.

A -Deep, dark brown with a creamy khaki head. Lovely lacing with an film on top that resembles a topographical map or something. Really pretty!

S - Oh man, I love this! Its got the rich dark roasted malt, cocoa powder and vanilla of regular Maduro, but as it warms there's a definite Oatmeal raisin Cookie smell! Raisins, cinnamon, oats. Amazing!

T - Yeah - liquid Oatmeal Raisin Cookie. The taste echoes the nose exactly, more roasted malt, vanilla and cocoa powder with a nicely balanced raisin and cinnamon sweetness and just the slightest hint of bitterness at the end.

M - Smooth and creamy with a medium-thin body. Medium carbonation with absolutely no hint of ABV.

D - What can I say? I'm a Maduro freak, I could drink this stuff (and all the variations) all day, every day. Incredibly smooth and easy-drinking, this is a great twist on what is already one of my favorite beers. Kudos Cigar City, can't wait to make it down there to Tampa someday! (1,028 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Growler thanks to ColdSnack, poured in to Huna snifter. Thanks mang!

A - ORC pours an opaque brown with plenty of carbony fizz and a nice light head that dissipates after settling

S - sugar cookie, oatmeal, cinnamon, a hint of vanilla, maybe a pinch of brown sugar too

T - this tastes like oatmeal cookie batter; there are cinnamon, raisin, and sugar/spice notes too, with just that subtle hint of vanilla

M - for having so many flavors present, this beer is really easy drinking; there's no cloying sweetness, mild carbonation, and a smooth drink ability to it that belies all the sweet-based flavors

O - ORC is a really good brown ale with all the right flavors of an oatmeal raisin cookie. Exceptionally drinkable and tasty as can be. (742 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

A-dark brown with possibly a cherry tint to it. thin white head

S-smells like oatmeal and raisins. a bit nutty as well. fairly faint.

T-tastes like an oatmeal raisin cookie! the taste is so strong and flavorful! i love this! in and out, the flavors stay. there is even a hint of chocolate chips in there as well. this taste is a work of brewing genius. there is nothing wrong here.

M-medium carbonation with a dry finish

O-tastes stay through the entire glass. for a brown ale, this is just amazing and unique. everyone needs to get some of this! (550 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +11.4%

Finally available in bottles.

Very dark brown with a solid creme head that settles to a coating. There is pretty intense lace sticking to the top of the glass.

It smells like an oatmeal raisin cookie. That's it. They nailed it.

I think this tastes damn near exactly like said cookie, I don't see how a few others don't pick up on it. Granted, it seemed more intense when I had it on tap a while ago, but that's probably just batch variation. I'm initially struck by general mild bitterness that slowly gives way to the cinnamon, raisins, and vanilla in the center. Some chocolate in there too.The finish is mostly cookie dough and more mild bitterness. This is not too sweet, which I consider a great achievement.

The body is firm, well carbonated, and better than the base beer.
Maybe it goes without saying, but drinking this beer too cold really messes up the mouthfeel and flavor.

So happy to see a beer with flavors this big clock in at only 5.5%. I've sat at a bar and ordered 3-4 in a night. (1,004 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Has this fine draft at the CCB tasting room. Poured into a pint glass. The appearance on this beer has that brown hue to it, with minimal head that leaves a slight lace the glass. Smell is of cinnamon, fresh baked cookies, nutmeg, vanilla, the smell from this beer is out of this world. Taste is dead on with the smell, it litteraly tastes like a cinnamon cookie in a liquid form, very refreshing and smooth with a nice overall coffee raison type finish. This was amazing offering from CCB and one I hope they release in bottle form. (533 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a very very dark brown finger with two and a half fingers of head that just touches the top of the glass. Lacing and retention are very good. The smell on this is absolutely amazing. To me, this doesn't remind me of an oatmeal raisin cookie. It honestly reminds me of my best friend's house back in middle and high school. His house always smelled like this beer. It's incredibly nostalgic, and I can just keep my nose in this all night. To my knowledge, they didn't make many oatmeal raisin cookies there, which is strange, but this is honestly what I get out of it. I can definitely smell the oatmeal, cinnamon, and vanilla. Maybe a candle his mom would always burn? Either way, this is hands-down one of the best smelling brews I've ever smelled.

The taste is incredibly unique. At first, it goes down real smooth with a bit of a raisin hint. Then, there's a ton of spices in this brew, and they all come out on the taste. Cinnamon, nutmeg, all sorts of spices rush in, leaving a pleasant spicy aftertaste. A very good, very complex, very unique beer. The mouthfeel might be a little thin for the spice rush here, but it all works. The one part where this beer suffers is the drinkability. This is definitely a brew to end a good night of drinking. I don't think I'd ever have more than one of these a night. It's just a bit too much to keep drinking all night, I'm glad this is in 12 ounce bottles instead of 22. It honestly tastes and smells like the best memories from my teenage years, which is absolutely mind-blowing. Again, this is a very good, very unique beer that's absolutely worth seeking out. A definite winner from CCB. (1,693 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Big thanks to Dolfan84 for this - I knew if it tasted half as good as the name lead me to believe then I would be in for a treat!

A - Deep dark brown. Hints of a ruby color hit the glass in the bottom. Half a finger head that presents itself in the perfect off-white contrast to the body.

S - Oh goodness, is grandma in the kitchen cooking? Smells just as the name implies. Strong oatmeal, chocolate, bready, and a hint of cinnamon and raisin.

T - Just like the smell. More bread/oatmeal flavors with chocolate and the raisin/cinnamon coming in at the end. Also a little nutty taste. This baby gets better as it warms up.

M - Medium/light body. Perfect carbonation - I could drink two growlers of this in one sitting, no problem. The lower ABV makes this all the better.

O - Really enjoyed this one. I found myself tasting an oatmeal cookie minutes after finishing this. The taste really lingers and that's a great thing. Would seek this out again - one of the better brown ales I've had.

Thanks again Dolfan84! (1,018 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +10.2%

Huge thanks goes to fogdog for this growler. Kevin you are the man.

Poured from a 32oz growler into a tulip. Sadly the plastic seal around the cap was soaked with beer when I pulled it out of the box. I'm going to assume this was a small leak. I'm prepared for no carbononation.

A: dark chocolate brown with no head what so ever. I even tried to pour straight down the middle hoping to generate some bubbles. No lace obviously. This is not a good sign.

S: very brown ale esque, mild hints of oatmeal, dark fruits, even cookie dough

T: Absolutely freaking amazimg flavor! Spot on ORC! Cinnamon, raisins, cookie dough, vanilla,I swear I can taste the frosting like they put on store bought iced ORC's. How do they do it?

M: sadly this is where the beer falls flat. Literally. No carbonation at all. I know browns tend to be light on carb but this has to be a leakage issue.

D: overall despite the shipping mishap this beer is fantastic. I will have to seek out another growler to hopefully bump the mouthfeel and apperance scores. (1,037 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance: Clear dark chestnut body with a crimson cast beneath a short head of creamy tan foam. The head retention is good, and it leaves average lacing about the glass.

Aroma: Malty and gently toasty with a distinct note of dark caramel and almost burnt sugar. Ginger bread cookies. Dark fruit... plum/prune. Brown sugar. A hint of vanilla.

Taste: It's really hard to separate the aroma from the actual flavor one this one. The nose gives me spice (mainly cinnamon) and raisin, but the flavor is giving me more dark sugar. Overall, raisins and spice are the first to appear on the palate. As it warms a bit, the oatmeal comes out (Is this even made with oatmeal? It doesn't matter, the flavor of oatmeal seems to appear). It finishes with a quick dollop of golden syrup on the front of the tongue, dark skinned fruit from end to end, and drying 'oatmeal' in the back.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light in body with a dextrinous edge. Standard carbonation level.

Drinkability: Never before has a beer nailed the flavor of an oatmeal raisin cookie so completely. It is, at the very least, an amazing holiday beer - but it's also a surprisingly drinkable spiced ale. Worth seeking out!!! (1,182 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

Enjoyed during my long weekend in Tampa. I had the chance to meet some great people and try some new and some amazing new things. Had a lot of fun, but glad to be home. Enjoyed on 4/11/2011.

Have had this on one other occasion and loved it but the chance to try it on tap was a whole different experience. Pours a nice soft hazelnut brown with a small off white head that caps the top rather nicely. Smoothing out around the edges it leaves some nice rings of lacing in its wake. Aroma is deep spices, hints of cinnamon, raisins and dark fruits, notes of bready malts and a sugary cookie dough like backing. Flavor is a nice malt bomb that sits on the palate with great ease. So much smoother then you would think with a light feel and a rich creamy, roasted nut like finish, this one literally tastes just like the name.

Overall one of the great offerings from CCB. Loved the chance to try this one on tap. (909 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

Thrown in as an extra by thedominator...gracias...really wanted to try.

A-Medium brown color...good thick head that stayed around for a bit.

S-Lot of oatmeal..cinnamon..sweet smells...sugar...molases..brown sugar...good spice...it smells...well, like an oatmeal cookie...nuts huh?

T-Taste follows suit with smell...and label. I drank this and thought...they really hit a homerun here...it tastes like a good oatmeal cookie but that is not doing the beer justice...just b/c something tastes like what the bottle claims is not an indicator that it is good...this works...quite well...I contrast this to things like Short's Key Lime Pie...which I know has high ratings from others but just misses the mark for me...I get the Key Lime aspect but it does not mesh...this meshes. You get the balance of the oatmeal cookie flavors...the oatmeal, fruit, spices and it goes perfect w/ a great quality brown ale.

M-very good...medium to medium high carbonation...quite smooth on the palate...creamy character.

D-high. I only had a bottle b/c that is all that I had available...had I more bottles...i would have drank more. Looking forward to getting some more of this. (1,168 characters)

Reviewed on 4.17.11

Appearance- Pours a deep dark brown with a dark brown-tan head. Head is bubbly, but fades fast.

Smell- Oats, raisins, and some fruit.

Taste- Tastes just like the name, Oatmeal, raisins, cookie dough.

Drinkability- Smooth, and silky.

Overall- A great way to finish the night. It was like dessert in a glass. (331 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

A- Deep brow color with a nice sticky off white head with nice lacing on the glass.

S- Oh wow. Smells like a fresh baked cookie....Vanilla, cinnamon, raisins and roasty malt sweetness.

T- Just like the nose, awesome just like a cookie from moms kitchen. Lots of cinnamon and vanilla up front with the raisins finishing it out. Nice finish to it, not as dry in the finish as the bottles from what i remember. Great flavor profile with a precise execution.

M- Nice carbonation on the palate with a low to medium body that is slippery with a great finish.

O- Obsessed with this beer, cant get enough of it. Wish they could distribute to CA, i would spend every last penny on this brewery. (689 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance: Pours out a clear, dark brown body with some golden-orange edges and topped with a layer of thin, off-white froth.

Smell: Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle! It does indeed smell like oatmeal raisin cookies.

Taste: Sweet-tasting chocolate morsels stirred up with dark brown sugar, toasted rolled oats, a liberal dose of spices, hints of roast, and a box raisins with that bonnet-wearing chick on the front. Does a fantastic job of mimicking the flavor of oatmeal raisin cookies.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A very satisfying, enjoyable beer; another in a series of hits from Cigar City. This is one for the books! (657 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%

Tried at the CCB tasting at Beer City in North Babylon, NY.

Poured into a Hoffbrau mug.

A - Dark brown pour. Some obvious carbonation, and a littl elacing in the glass. Creamy foam head.

S - Smells sweet of spice and oatmeal. Very complex and interesting.

T - This is phenomenal! I swear it does taste like an oatmeal cookie with raisins. Sweet, balanced, and just a tasty treat. Could not be better. The madagascar hops give this such a unique twist is is just a standout beer.

M - A little soft for the style, but quite smooth and enjoyable. Finishes well.

D - Could easily have a couple. Easier to have than a stout, but they complexity and style amke this a beer that you may want to limit at 2.

Not sure if I will have a beer with this mix of flavors anyitme soon. Kudos to CCB for making an excellent beer. (820 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured on-tap at the Cigar City Brewing tasting room in Tampa. Served in a pint glass, the beer has the same body and color of Maduro Brown. A deep, dark brown color with ruby highlights and a light, thin, foamy head. Smells like an oatmeal creme pie, which made this fat kid very happy! My poor pregnant wife hates me right now. Slight cinnamon aroma, too, and the smell is amazing! The taste is great! The flavor has a baked sugary sweetness, cinnamon spicing, and creamy undertones. Wow! All of this while remaining light bodied. Brown-sugar sweet aftertaste, with a quick, clean finish. Delicious! Would make a wicked milkshake! (632 characters)

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown Ale from Cigar City Brewing