Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown AleOatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown Ale

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

"O. R. C." pours brown in color with an aroma reminiscent of oatmeal raisin cookies (of course). Mild cinnamon and vanilla notes upfront in the flavor with emerging raisin notes. Lingering spices in the finish with hints of toasted bread.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 10-01-2009)
1.93/5  rDev -53.4%

A - dark brown and super frothy. Lots of billowy tan foam. Uh-oh.

S - initially raisins and cinnamon hit the nostrils, but that's quickly tainted by vinegar.

T - Sour vinegar with a malty, cinnamon, raisin finish. Not a tasty blend.

M - Not too shabby, rich, thick, medium bodied and overcarbonated.

O - I can see the potential to like this one. Just wish my two bottles weren't infected.

I hope cigar city gets their QC issues fixed. Flat Zhukov, infected maduro & now infected raisin cookie. At least Hunahpu lives up to the hype.

2.5/5  rDev -39.6%

2.75/5  rDev -33.6%

2.75/5  rDev -33.6%

2.85/5  rDev -31.2%

Growler brought up to share by Spider889.

Appearance
Immediately it is apparent that this beer is going to be on the thin side. Its a clear, thin pour, mostly falling in shades of reds and browns. Same goes for the beer as it settles in the glass, clear reds and browns with a decently dark core. There's nearly no head.

Aroma
Wet dog aromas are very strong, especially on glancing whiffs. There is, however, plenty of vanilla and some good cookie dough aromas. There is hardly any raisin.

Taste
My nose is playing tricks on me again. This time its making me actually taste the wet dog aroma. There is a little bit of faint cocoa and vanilla with a sweet cookie dough middle. Some coconut as it warms. The back end has more light cocoa.

Mouthfeel
It feels as thin as it looks. Its watery, dry and hardly carbonated.

Overall
This isn't a disgusting beer, but I was unable to find any signs of raisin, and the overall beer seems to have some flaws. Its more of a curiosity than an actual solid beer.

**Note my review is from a Cask**

I have had this beer normally on tap and it is simply a 5.0/5.0

Had this beer on Cask at the Hunahpu's release and it fell flat on its face. There was little to no flavor of the Oatmeal Raisin Cookie like what was there on "normal" tap.

If you get a chance to have this on tap DO NOT MISS OUT. Cask, well see what else is available first

3.18/5  rDev -23.2%

A: Pours a clear brown from the bottle, but rests in the glass a deep brown with a bubbly brown head. The retention is phenomenal and the head laces down the side of the glass very nicely. Bubbles raise from the bottom of the glass for a long time.

S: The smell seems to be a bit sour (uh-oh). Reminding me of a Flounders Oud Bruin honestly. Perhaps that's what happens when my nose is presented with a smell I can't say I've ever experienced in a beer before.

T: The taste is really comprised of...an oatmeal raisin cookie mixed with a brown ale. I get the raisins especially, with a roastiness I'll attribute to the malts and oatmeal characteristics. Cinnamon and vanilla are definitely there as well. This reminds me of a winter warmer. A really weird aftertaste lingers on the palate well into the aftertaste.

MF: Light with plenty of carbonation

O: This beer is...weird. I don't really like Oatmeal Raisin cookies, so I'm not surprised I don't like this. But, the flavor just seems too strange to fit with beer.

3.18/5  rDev -23.2%

Bottle gushed over upon opening. Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Terrapin glass. It poured a dark, caramel brown color with a thick and frothy tan head to it. Pretty good head retention with a little lacing.

The aroma has a pretty big raisin flavor coming out. I get some brown sugar sweetness to it as well as a fruity, tart, cherry like flavor to it. The cherry, fruitiness gives off just a bit of a funk to it, which I wasn't expecting but didn't dislike. It's almost if they added some tart cherries to the cookies, which actually sounds delicious.

The taste has a lot of sweetness to it right off the bat. I get brown sugar mixing with the raisins up front. I also get a good dose of spices, including cinnamon coming through towards the finish. Just a hint of the fruity, cherry tartness comes through, much less than the aroma. I get some oats lingering in the finish as well. Very flavorful and interesting beer, but overall it just wasn't that drinkable or outstanding.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side for the style and carbonation is high. I liked the thicker mouthfeel, but the carbonation didn't fit for me. Overall it was an interesting beer, but a not very drinkable one. It felt pretty sweet overall, which i guess should be expected given the name. The spices in the finish were a little overpowering and the tart, fruity flavors didn't fit either. Again, an interesting beer but not one I'd want to drink very often.

3.25/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours a deep dark chocolate brown color with lighter chestnut brown edges when held to a light source and a half finger light yellowish beige color head that quickly fades into a thin lasting ring . Sporadic spots of lacing.

Slightly spicy dark fruit aroma with hints of dark fruit, roasted caramel malt, toffee and subtle spice. Hints of toffee, subtle coffee, caramel and chocolate malt . Slight alcohol. Slightly chewy medium body with hints of caramel malt, toffee, slight dark fruit and alcohol.

3.28/5  rDev -20.8%

Growler poured into an Ommegang flute on 7/19/11

Shared by Spider889

Dull plum, grape juice color, hints of rust and crimson. 1/4th inch head thins quickly to a collar; such is retention. Some lace, but not much.

This is more bizarre than my 10 year class reunion. Sure does smell like an oatmeal raisin cookie. Spiced bread, too and a hint of brown sugar. Oatmeal is dusty on the peripheries. Smells nice.

Tastes pretty much like the aroma suggests - cookie all the way. Juicy upfront with bits of raisins. This melds into a more robust middle and finish. Grainy, bready and solid on oatmeal. Some spiciness on the finish with subtle cinnamon notes.

Thin feel upfront stay pretty consistent throughout, perhaps gaining a bit of heft on the back half. Frisky enough carbonation. The feel has a fine coating layer.

Overall impression: perhaps it's a bit kitschy but Cigar City has done pretty well at emulating a cookie in a beer. It's easy to drink. I wouldn't want it all the time but I'd definitely drink it again.

3.33/5  rDev -19.6%

I have known oatmeal raisin cookies. I like oatmeal raisin cookies. You, Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale - Oatmeal Raisin Cookie, are no oatmeal raisin cookie.

That said, you had me fooled right until I tasted you. I actually think we could have been really good friends had I never actually put you in my mouth.

My problem with you, if you haven't already figured it out, is that you are like so many cups of tea I've met in my life. Full of whispered promises and soft caresses. A nibble on my ear and a hand on my knee. Once we get down to it, you never actually deliver on those sweet little lies. You disappoint me. You make me uneasy that we entered into this relationship in the first place. Ultimately, my life was better before we met.

Anyway, this beer looks pretty good, a deep and beautiful reddish brown. This beer smells positively freaking divine - full of spice and oats and raisins. I mean, I was practically huffing this like glue. It tastes like a decent brown ale filled with raisins, though, and nothing terribly more fulfilling than that. Another whiff. Another taste. Another disappointment.

On second thought, I may get another bottle just to spend a quiet night alone inhaling it.

3.43/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: This beer looks great, huge tan head that just won't give up on top of a dark garnett liquid that the light seems to constantly want to pass through.

S: First things first, the biggest and more overwhelming smell is one I got last night while enjoying a Maduro Brown, soap. With the Maduro Brown that was almost all I got, but with this one you can definitely pick up the cinnamon and vanilla, maybe even raisins with a slight bit of malt. Everything though is being overtaken by a distinct soapy smell.

*Don't say its my glass, I know its not.

T: It doesn't taste like soap, phew. Oddly tart is the first thing that jumps out at me. I'm getting a lot of cinnamon and vanilla, especially from the frothy head. I suppose its the raisins that are giving off the tartness, but its definitely there and very surprising for a brown ale. Not much bitterness in the finish, malt backbone just kind of hangs out and slowly fades away. Somehow though I'm not able to tie this together as an oatmeal cookie. It seems a sweet toasted flavor, pretty much the opposite of the tartness.

M: Super creamy, this one really feels great for the style. Good medium carbonation.

O: I really enjoyed this one, but not so much for it being labeled as an Oatmeal Raisin Cookie. The soapy nose is off putting and the surprisingly tart taste destroys any chance of resembling an oatmeal raisin cookie. Its a pretty unique and drinkable beer, the marketing 'gimmick' is really hurting it though.

3.45/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From 32oz growler to Bruges glass at a small gathering of NoVA BA's on 9/4/11
*From notes

-- Big up's to UMCaner74 for supplying me with this growler. Cheers, Dave! --

A: Purplish-brownish-red. A tiny .25 finger head (thanks, CCB growler!) and next to no lacing.

S: Earthy oats. Hints of condensed prune juice and sun dried raisins.

T: Pretty low key, surprisingly. Instead of being a massively sweet cookie bomb of a beer, it's simply a brown ale with a decent amount of dried fruit and a slightly odd twang of rust on the finish.

M: Undercarbonated (yet again, I'll credit this to CCB's growler) and a bit thin.

O: CCB's Oatmeal Raisin Cookie wasn't quite what I'd hoped for, yet it was a pretty reasonable attempt at a unique, boutique beer. I would very much like to have this again from a properly carbonated tap, and not immediately following a generous pour of Isabelle Proximus.

3.45/5  rDev -16.7%

From notes

A - dark cloudy brown body, with a small tan head that fades quickly to a film and medium ring.

S - Smells kinda like feces. Bitter, perhaps from spices?

T - Tastes just like an oatmeal raisin cookie, pretty much, with a good amount of added cinnamon. It's weird, but I guess it's what they were going for.

M - a medium body, not too thin, not too thick.

D - not really something I want to drink, but it's interesting and ok. Average, for sure.

3.48/5  rDev -15.9%

this was a strange one for me - i was only able to try this one bottle and i have thought it might have been infected

pours muddy dark amber brown with a huge huge head (my first thought of infection) that left lacing all down the glass

smells of some apples(#2) but could be raisins - get some brown sugar and oatmeal

taste - has lots of roasted malt and chocolate which surprised me - cinnamon and other flavors that reminded me of xmas - those same raisins/apples that seem a bit off

mouthfeel - was lacking - the body thin and was flat?? even after that huge head - maybe that was why it was flat

drinkability - i dont think i would want another right after this one but i do what to try this one again some time down the road

3.48/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours a nice brown color with bronze tones on the edges when held to the light. Has a nice size bubbly brown carbonated head of about one and a half fingers. Head dissipates quickly leaving no lacing.

Smells is very light. All I smell is spices and a little malt sweetness.

Taste is roasty malt and spices and the oatmeal flavor. The finish actually tastes a little burnt. I can taste some of the raisin but for the most part I cant taste past the burnt taste.

Mouthfeel is light with a nice carb feel to it. No alcohol in this one? I couldn't detect it at all.

Overall its a one try for me. I can't get past the burnt malty taste. Mouthfeel is great and smell could have been more complex.

3.48/5  rDev -15.9%

I had this on tap at the Cigar City taproom. The beer was a very dark copper color, completely clear but dark, with a thin tan head. I get a lot of spice in the aroma, it gives the overall smell of an oatmeal cookie. Cinnamon and malt, but more cinnamon than anything else.

It tastes slightly bitter, I suspect due to spice more than anything else. Kind of thin, at least thinner than I'd expected. Not really my thing, kind of in the "pumpkin ale" category.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown Ale from Cigar City Brewing