Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown AleOatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown Ale

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

"O. R. C." pours brown in color with an aroma reminiscent of oatmeal raisin cookies (of course). Mild cinnamon and vanilla notes upfront in the flavor with emerging raisin notes. Lingering spices in the finish with hints of toasted bread.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 10-01-2009)
4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Served from bottle into a Warsteiner mug. Poured a deep red-brown with a one finger very light tan head that subsided to a half finger very slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, raisins, graham cracker, and dark chocolate. The flavor was of sweet malt, oatmeal, raisins, and milk chococlate. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was nothing short of excellent. I really don't know how CCB keeps doing this with the Maduro, but version I have had has been excellent. Definitely a great flavor and aroma going on in this one. An absolute must try for any beer lover or the curious.

thagr81us, Apr 01, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -5.8%

After pouring out an infected bottle of the regular Maduro Brown, I was worried that this guy would be a problem too, but fortunately it was all good.

This beer smells and tastes amazingly like an oatmeal raisin cookie. This was obvious from the first scent, with big raisin notes and detectable spices--I'm not sure if I would've identified the spice as cinnamon if I didn't already know it was in there, but it's definitely a yummy cookie type of spice. The flavor follows suit--the beer's name is a good enough characterization of the flavor, as oatmeal and raisin and spicy cookie flavors run wild from the first sip. I really did not expect such an accurate reproduction of cookie flavor, it's damn impressive.

The one thing missing here, really, is the brown ale. It tastes more like cookies than it does like a brown ale. Once I started thinking about the beer base, it seemed a little thin and watery, lacking the lovely rich flavors of my favorite brown ales. I wish I had a good bottle of the the regular Maduro Brown for comparison, but unfortunately my (obviously infected) bottle of that one tasted more like an Oud Bruin than an American brown ale.

My numerical ratings for this beer are maybe slightly inflated given its flaws, but honestly I'm just so impressed with the cookie aspects of this beer than I don't much mind that the beer aspects are a bit lacking. I already want to have another of these.

7.9/10

AlexFields, Mar 25, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -17.1%

A: This beer looks great, huge tan head that just won't give up on top of a dark garnett liquid that the light seems to constantly want to pass through.

S: First things first, the biggest and more overwhelming smell is one I got last night while enjoying a Maduro Brown, soap. With the Maduro Brown that was almost all I got, but with this one you can definitely pick up the cinnamon and vanilla, maybe even raisins with a slight bit of malt. Everything though is being overtaken by a distinct soapy smell.

*Don't say its my glass, I know its not.

T: It doesn't taste like soap, phew. Oddly tart is the first thing that jumps out at me. I'm getting a lot of cinnamon and vanilla, especially from the frothy head. I suppose its the raisins that are giving off the tartness, but its definitely there and very surprising for a brown ale. Not much bitterness in the finish, malt backbone just kind of hangs out and slowly fades away. Somehow though I'm not able to tie this together as an oatmeal cookie. It seems a sweet toasted flavor, pretty much the opposite of the tartness.

M: Super creamy, this one really feels great for the style. Good medium carbonation.

O: I really enjoyed this one, but not so much for it being labeled as an Oatmeal Raisin Cookie. The soapy nose is off putting and the surprisingly tart taste destroys any chance of resembling an oatmeal raisin cookie. Its a pretty unique and drinkable beer, the marketing 'gimmick' is really hurting it though.

Drazzamatazz, Mar 22, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -16.7%

From notes

A - dark cloudy brown body, with a small tan head that fades quickly to a film and medium ring.

S - Smells kinda like feces. Bitter, perhaps from spices?

T - Tastes just like an oatmeal raisin cookie, pretty much, with a good amount of added cinnamon. It's weird, but I guess it's what they were going for.

M - a medium body, not too thin, not too thick.

D - not really something I want to drink, but it's interesting and ok. Average, for sure.

ColdPoncho, Mar 21, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a hazy orangish brown. a good amount of offwhite head. Smells a bit off... Some tart funkiness and off smells that may be coming from the raisin? hard to place...
Tastes... like an oatmeal raisin cookie. Spices and oatmeal of present on the front... raisins underneath some nice brown sugary sweetness and a lot of cinnamon. Can detect some slight vanilla but until I realized it was added I barely noticed under all the other flavours. The mouthfeel is a bit off.. carbonation is high and doesn't do the beer justice. Overall... solid and unique but not great

Urbancaver, Mar 17, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Acquired this in a recent trade with fogdog. Thanks Kevin!

Poured into a New Belgium globe.

Appearance: Pour netted about an inch of khaki foam, which displayed excellent retention and lacing over the course of the session. Crystal clear, brown body glows orange when back-lit. Looks great for a brown ale!

Smell: Oats, semisweet chocolate, raisins, cinnamon, molasses, and light floral esters. Crazy! All in all, it's lightly roasty, chocolaty, and a bit jammy.

Taste: Cinnamon, oats, raisins, cocoa, and a touch of cola. JustinA1 tasted metal, and thought it might represent oxidation. Maybe I interpreted that as cola? I don't know. Either way, this tastes just like oatmeal raisin cookies! Finishes lightly roasty, with raisins and oats still peaking through in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, malty, and fairly clean. The carbonation is a bit coarser than I'd prefer, but all in all no complaints.

Drinkability: Certainly a novelty beer, but a damn good one. I had no problem polishing this one off, and it was a fun ride.

ThreeWiseMen, Mar 15, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

Received in a trade with GallowsThief, thanks Rich! Another offering from Cigar City, poured into a NB globe.

A - Beer pours a nice and deep chestnut color with some slight hues of ruby. About two fingers worth of brown foamy head bubbles to the top. Impeccable lacing kicks the grade up a bit higher then average.

S - A lot of brown sugar and caramel notes up front. A bit of molasses and toasted malt in there as well. Definitely a good amount of the raisin/dark fruit aroma to round it all out. Overall it actually does smell like a freshly baked oatmeal raisin cookie. Very impressed.

T - What a great tasting brown ale. Caramel up front leading way to a nice dark fruit character. Some brown sugar in there too. Really liking the oat aspect of this brew as well. Very slight touch of bitterness a the end.

M - Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. My only gripe would be that it seems a tad watery. No big deal though, doesn't really detract from the brew at all.

D - Great brown ale that I could drink on multiple occasions. If you have the opportunity to give it a shot I would recommend it.

BennyL1, Mar 12, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

12 oz extra thanks to HeadyHops81. Served in my Great Lakes Tulip.

Poured a 2 finger foamy head that dissipated quickly with tiny bubbles. A nice mahogany brown with a little red tint to the color. Smelled of sweet cinnamon, candied malts, brown sugar and a little bit of spice and dark fruits. Tasted of brown sugar, somewhat of a oatmeal rasin cookie as well. Picked up on cinnamon on the back palate and a little bit of smokiness as well. Medium bodied with good carbonation. Overall I was pleasantly surprised with this beer, its drinkability and tastiness! I wish CCB distributed up here with some of their funky styles.

mistakebythelake, Mar 11, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +1%

This poured from the bottle very nicely. A deep brown with a amber hue the danced along the sides of the glass. Had a nice light tan head that held up. The aroma was of sweet malts with a touch of port. At the very tip of my tongue it does actually taste like a oatmeal rasin cookie. It has a nice malt profile accented with dark fruit. Does lack a hop punch that i usually expect with a american brown. This is more reminiscent of a english brown in my opinion. The mouthfeel is a medium full body with a good amount of carbonation. Overall this beer is pretty awesome. I wish I could get more.

nopucophop, Mar 08, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Thank you many times to North Babylon Superstar for bringing cigar city into town.

a -Had this before in the bottle. Doesn't look as amazing I had remembered, but that nice head and color was present still. The head on this was HUGE, foamy and frothy when I poured it into my oversized snifter. Color is a deep plum, shiny and rich.

s -Exact a the bottle, if not better. Earthy tangy sweet malty goodness. I detect fruitpunch and brown sugar. Some plum and grape...mouth watering. Cinammon in the background. Actually smells somewhat like an oatmeal raisin cookie.

t -unreal. Oatmeal raisin cookie.

m/d -My exact thoughts as from the bottle. If ben & jerry's could make a beer, this would be the beer. Maybe a bit more watery from the tap?

cosmicevan, Mar 05, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to McDiddyPop for this one.

A- Pours a deep caramel but lets in some light around the edge of the glass. On the pour, there is a nice one finger head that sticks around for a while and leaves some pretty good lacing on the side of the glass.

S- They weren't kidding with the name on this one. I pick up oatmeal, cinnamon and to a lesser extent, the raisin. I also pick up some other spice and a dash of nutmeg. I could smell this beer all day.

T- The taste is more dominant with some roasted malts, oatmeal and raisins. The more sips you take, the more each flavor becomes more apparent.

M- Medium bodied that has a very creamy texture which the carbonation lends to.

D- This is a fine example of American ingenuity when it comes to brewing. The name is spot on and if you like oatmeal raisin cookies, this is a must try. Looking forward to trying more from Cigar City.

Wisconsinality, Mar 05, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

dark ruby chestnut color...moderate head....

nose of figs...a tiny bit of vinegar and cinnamon...earthy tones rounded off by shy nutmeg..a sourness to it

mouthed...

bitter chocolate top notes followed by gentle cinnamon and actual goddamned raisins!!..first time for everything!..how the hell does one make a carbonated oatmeal raisin cookie?...!!..well..cigar city done did it!...verygood at 5.5...this would absolutely KILL at around 11 or so...

treehouse, Mar 05, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a clear dark brown color with light ruby highlights. The head was rather small and left a thin beige ring.

The aroma is of milk chocolate, light caramel, and brown sugar. The malt is quite bready and has some nutty notes. Smells more like a chocolate chip cookie than it does oatmeal raisin.

The taste starts off with some chocolate but it transitions into the oatmeal raisin flavor. Subtle oat flavors with molasses, cinnamon, vanilla and a light grape flavors give the beer the oatmeal cookie presence. A bit of a hoppy bitterness helps offset the sweet aspect of the beer.

The feel is quite light with tingly carbonation. Sweet on the palate but does finish with some bitterness.

An enjoyable brown ale. I do get the oatmeal raisin flavors but sometimes they do get lost in some of the chocolatey notes. An easy drinker.

Gmann, Mar 03, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +7.5%

Tried at the CCB tasting at Beer City in North Babylon, NY.

Poured into a Hoffbrau mug.

A - Dark brown pour. Some obvious carbonation, and a littl elacing in the glass. Creamy foam head.

S - Smells sweet of spice and oatmeal. Very complex and interesting.

T - This is phenomenal! I swear it does taste like an oatmeal cookie with raisins. Sweet, balanced, and just a tasty treat. Could not be better. The madagascar hops give this such a unique twist is is just a standout beer.

M - A little soft for the style, but quite smooth and enjoyable. Finishes well.

D - Could easily have a couple. Easier to have than a stout, but they complexity and style amke this a beer that you may want to limit at 2.

Not sure if I will have a beer with this mix of flavors anyitme soon. Kudos to CCB for making an excellent beer.

socon67, Mar 03, 2011

Another beer from Jefe73. Thanks man

Pours a dark brown with a thin tan head. Little lacing.

Aroma of roasted grains and you can smell a bit of an oatmeal raisin cookie. Little bit of cinnamon and vanilla and a touch of raisins. Not a ton of aroma though.

Tastes just like it smells. Tastes mostly like a brown but with a hint of the cookie. Little bit of cinnamon and raisin and vanilla. Tastes great. Wish there was more cookie flavor though.

Mouthfeel is good. maybe a little more viscosity would be better. Good carb.

Overall an awesome beer. If it had more cookie flavor I would trade for more but since I can't get this around me I won't be getting more. Would if I could though. Try it once at least.

PeprSprYoFace, Mar 01, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -6.3%

Notes from 12/21/10.

Pours brown with hints of red when held up to the light. Small head upon pour with average lacing.

There is a lot of cinnamon, dark malts, and vanilla in the smell. It truly smells like an oatmeal cookie.

The roasty brown malts along with vanilla and cinnamon produce a cookie like flavor. This is quite tasty and would likely be amazing if it was in a double brown form...say, 8-9%.

Fairly light in the mouth and not incredibly interesting.

This is a very easy drinker and would go perfect with a fresh batch of oatmeal cookies.

TCgoalie, Feb 27, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

TCGoalie shared this 12 oz. bottle with zoso1967 and I on 2-18-11. Thanks, man!

The brew pours a light brown color with a nice ruby tint. It is just barely see-through. A light khaki head of about a finger rests on the body. The carbonation bubbles move lazily and are quite sparse. The lacing is light, but still pretty sticky and dotty.

This smells exactly like what it is- a brown ale with oatmeal raisin cookie flavors blended in. On second smell, the raisins dominate the show along with the oatmeal. Sweet cinammon also resides in the bouquet. I am not really getting any nutty hints from this brown ale.

The taste translates quite well from the smell. It is not quite as cinammon-spicy, but it is very much an oatmeal raisin cookie. It is also more like a brown ale than the smell would lead me to believe. A little nuttiness is evident in the flavor and the finish is quite toasty.

The mouthfeel is silky smooth and light bodied. The oatmeal lends a very nice smoothness. A nice toasty and bitter bite on the sides of my palate complements the smooth body.

This is good novelty drink. It isn't something that I would want all the time, but Cigar City pulled off the oatmeal raisin cookie taste well. This is a well crafted, smooth drinking beer.

TCHopCraver, Feb 26, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -15.9%

this was a strange one for me - i was only able to try this one bottle and i have thought it might have been infected

pours muddy dark amber brown with a huge huge head (my first thought of infection) that left lacing all down the glass

smells of some apples(#2) but could be raisins - get some brown sugar and oatmeal

taste - has lots of roasted malt and chocolate which surprised me - cinnamon and other flavors that reminded me of xmas - those same raisins/apples that seem a bit off

mouthfeel - was lacking - the body thin and was flat?? even after that huge head - maybe that was why it was flat

drinkability - i dont think i would want another right after this one but i do what to try this one again some time down the road

jsh420, Feb 25, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -1%

Big thanks to TCGoalie for bringing this bottle back from Tampa.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie pours a fairly deep woody brown color and is surprisingly crystal clear. The head is parchment in color and has quite nice staying power. The lace is mediocre but still makes some pretty designs on the sides of glass.

The aroma is nice and sweet with a healthy dose of raisin and cinnamon blended with bready malt and brown sugar. So far the name is right on since this does smell like an oatmeal raisin cookie in beer form.

The taste is amazingly similar to the aroma with a good amount of sweetness that helps carry the raisin, brown sugar and cinnamon. The cinnamon comes through a bit more in the flavor and feels prickly on my palate. The subtle oatmeal character is also a bit more apparent in the flavor as is the actual brown ale flavor.

The mouthfeel is medium and silky smooth with an easy finish. The finish deposits equal parts sweet and spicy on my tongue.

Oatmeal cookie beers are my all time favorite dessert type beers and this one was quite tasty. It could have used a little bit less cinnamon for my taste, but they did a great job of giving it a nice cookie flavor without going over the top. If I was going to be drinking a few brown ales from Cigar City, I think I would just opt for regular old Maduro brown ale though.

zoso1967, Feb 22, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

Thanks to HeadyHops81 for the extra!

A-Dark brown with some amber notes around the edges, medium light tan head with ok retention and pretty decent lacing.

S-Cinnamon, some light esters, a little chocolate, and some light vanilla with just a touch of roast hiding back there somewhere.

T-Raisins and cinnamon up front smoothing out with some vanilla and bread like malt. Moving back I started to get a little bitter chocolate and some almost banana like ester. Finishing I started to get more of the chocolate and the raisin came back along with a very light coffee quality.

M-Medium to light body with just a little prickly carbonation.

D-The esters were a little strange, I am trying to decide if they are actually esters or something from the other ingredients. The cinnamon really takes over the aroma, which works well for this concept, but I would still like to see a bit more balance.

Its kind of a novelty, but it works. I couldn't help but smile while drinking, but I don't know that it is something I would chase after. If it were available in the area I would probably pick it up for non beer drinkers. I have also had Maduro Brown and that is the superior beer for sure.

larsenju, Feb 17, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -13.5%

Thanks to Thirstybird for sharing. Pours a brownish-mahogany with a half inch creamy head that dissipates into a sudsy skim with clumps and clusters of ringlets and bubbles. Some specks of lacing adhered to the walls of the glass during the tasting. Nose expresses big cinnamon aromas, followed by raisins, all eventually yielding to the total cookie experience. Taste follows nose, but much more muted. Some brown sugar also comes out in the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is light-medium, with a slightly watery consistency and a finish that falls just short of dry. Decent, but overall flavor and mouthfeel are a little lackluster.

Jwale73, Feb 16, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours with a nice frothy head, consistent small bubbles. Color is a reddish brown, light shines through easily but glows with the reddish hue. The nose is very faint but cinnamon and a light grain note are present. The flavor is light and drinkable, good balance, and very much tastes like an oatmeal raisin cookie. The finish lingers with the sugary oatmeal flavor but a slightly astringent undertone. Overall this is very drinkable and light, an imperial version would be cool.

Tripphop, Feb 16, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

Thanks to Haver again.
Man this one pours out a really dark brown with lots of tan suds.
Smell is sugar cookies with charred malts.
Caramel is big here.
Taste is caramel and sweet cookie dough with a dash of raisin and oatmeal thrown in there.
Mouthfeel is a little sticky as would be expected.
Very high in calories this one is and excercise might be a prerequisite for sessioning this great beer.

peabody, Feb 13, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a very very dark brown finger with two and a half fingers of head that just touches the top of the glass. Lacing and retention are very good. The smell on this is absolutely amazing. To me, this doesn't remind me of an oatmeal raisin cookie. It honestly reminds me of my best friend's house back in middle and high school. His house always smelled like this beer. It's incredibly nostalgic, and I can just keep my nose in this all night. To my knowledge, they didn't make many oatmeal raisin cookies there, which is strange, but this is honestly what I get out of it. I can definitely smell the oatmeal, cinnamon, and vanilla. Maybe a candle his mom would always burn? Either way, this is hands-down one of the best smelling brews I've ever smelled.

The taste is incredibly unique. At first, it goes down real smooth with a bit of a raisin hint. Then, there's a ton of spices in this brew, and they all come out on the taste. Cinnamon, nutmeg, all sorts of spices rush in, leaving a pleasant spicy aftertaste. A very good, very complex, very unique beer. The mouthfeel might be a little thin for the spice rush here, but it all works. The one part where this beer suffers is the drinkability. This is definitely a brew to end a good night of drinking. I don't think I'd ever have more than one of these a night. It's just a bit too much to keep drinking all night, I'm glad this is in 12 ounce bottles instead of 22. It honestly tastes and smells like the best memories from my teenage years, which is absolutely mind-blowing. Again, this is a very good, very unique beer that's absolutely worth seeking out. A definite winner from CCB.

shand, Feb 06, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Received as part of a killer package from mhl060. Thanks Matt for your generous box of goodness.

A - When I had this in the tasting room, I though I remember this being a different color (more copper or amber like). The bottle pour was a dark brown with a bubbly head that tames itself pretty quickly.

S - A really enticing brew, featuring a delightful mix of cinn, nutmeg, and other "cookie" related spices. Smells like an oatmeal raisin cookie, who would have thunk that?

T - Follows the nose and is really a nice treat. The cinn, nutmeg, and other spices all play well. There is a bit of a peppery taste, probably coming from the cinn that gives it just enough bite to otherwise detract from the sweetness.

M - Not much going on here; a little thin but it is fine for the brown ale style.

D - I am not sure how many of these you could drink but for one it is a delightful beer. A little sweet and spicey so for me it is one glass and then time to move on. Still, for what they wanted to capture here, I really enjoyed it and think (overall) that it is a great effort.

On to March 12th!