Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown AleOatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown Ale

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

"O. R. C." pours brown in color with an aroma reminiscent of oatmeal raisin cookies (of course). Mild cinnamon and vanilla notes upfront in the flavor with emerging raisin notes. Lingering spices in the finish with hints of toasted bread.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 10-01-2009)
3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

TCGoalie shared this 12 oz. bottle with zoso1967 and I on 2-18-11. Thanks, man!

The brew pours a light brown color with a nice ruby tint. It is just barely see-through. A light khaki head of about a finger rests on the body. The carbonation bubbles move lazily and are quite sparse. The lacing is light, but still pretty sticky and dotty.

This smells exactly like what it is- a brown ale with oatmeal raisin cookie flavors blended in. On second smell, the raisins dominate the show along with the oatmeal. Sweet cinammon also resides in the bouquet. I am not really getting any nutty hints from this brown ale.

The taste translates quite well from the smell. It is not quite as cinammon-spicy, but it is very much an oatmeal raisin cookie. It is also more like a brown ale than the smell would lead me to believe. A little nuttiness is evident in the flavor and the finish is quite toasty.

The mouthfeel is silky smooth and light bodied. The oatmeal lends a very nice smoothness. A nice toasty and bitter bite on the sides of my palate complements the smooth body.

This is good novelty drink. It isn't something that I would want all the time, but Cigar City pulled off the oatmeal raisin cookie taste well. This is a well crafted, smooth drinking beer.

3.48/5  rDev -15.9%

this was a strange one for me - i was only able to try this one bottle and i have thought it might have been infected

pours muddy dark amber brown with a huge huge head (my first thought of infection) that left lacing all down the glass

smells of some apples(#2) but could be raisins - get some brown sugar and oatmeal

taste - has lots of roasted malt and chocolate which surprised me - cinnamon and other flavors that reminded me of xmas - those same raisins/apples that seem a bit off

mouthfeel - was lacking - the body thin and was flat?? even after that huge head - maybe that was why it was flat

drinkability - i dont think i would want another right after this one but i do what to try this one again some time down the road

4.1/5  rDev -1%

Big thanks to TCGoalie for bringing this bottle back from Tampa.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie pours a fairly deep woody brown color and is surprisingly crystal clear. The head is parchment in color and has quite nice staying power. The lace is mediocre but still makes some pretty designs on the sides of glass.

The aroma is nice and sweet with a healthy dose of raisin and cinnamon blended with bready malt and brown sugar. So far the name is right on since this does smell like an oatmeal raisin cookie in beer form.

The taste is amazingly similar to the aroma with a good amount of sweetness that helps carry the raisin, brown sugar and cinnamon. The cinnamon comes through a bit more in the flavor and feels prickly on my palate. The subtle oatmeal character is also a bit more apparent in the flavor as is the actual brown ale flavor.

The mouthfeel is medium and silky smooth with an easy finish. The finish deposits equal parts sweet and spicy on my tongue.

Oatmeal cookie beers are my all time favorite dessert type beers and this one was quite tasty. It could have used a little bit less cinnamon for my taste, but they did a great job of giving it a nice cookie flavor without going over the top. If I was going to be drinking a few brown ales from Cigar City, I think I would just opt for regular old Maduro brown ale though.

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

Thanks to HeadyHops81 for the extra!

A-Dark brown with some amber notes around the edges, medium light tan head with ok retention and pretty decent lacing.

S-Cinnamon, some light esters, a little chocolate, and some light vanilla with just a touch of roast hiding back there somewhere.

T-Raisins and cinnamon up front smoothing out with some vanilla and bread like malt. Moving back I started to get a little bitter chocolate and some almost banana like ester. Finishing I started to get more of the chocolate and the raisin came back along with a very light coffee quality.

M-Medium to light body with just a little prickly carbonation.

D-The esters were a little strange, I am trying to decide if they are actually esters or something from the other ingredients. The cinnamon really takes over the aroma, which works well for this concept, but I would still like to see a bit more balance.

Its kind of a novelty, but it works. I couldn't help but smile while drinking, but I don't know that it is something I would chase after. If it were available in the area I would probably pick it up for non beer drinkers. I have also had Maduro Brown and that is the superior beer for sure.

3.58/5  rDev -13.5%

Thanks to Thirstybird for sharing. Pours a brownish-mahogany with a half inch creamy head that dissipates into a sudsy skim with clumps and clusters of ringlets and bubbles. Some specks of lacing adhered to the walls of the glass during the tasting. Nose expresses big cinnamon aromas, followed by raisins, all eventually yielding to the total cookie experience. Taste follows nose, but much more muted. Some brown sugar also comes out in the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is light-medium, with a slightly watery consistency and a finish that falls just short of dry. Decent, but overall flavor and mouthfeel are a little lackluster.

3.65/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours with a nice frothy head, consistent small bubbles. Color is a reddish brown, light shines through easily but glows with the reddish hue. The nose is very faint but cinnamon and a light grain note are present. The flavor is light and drinkable, good balance, and very much tastes like an oatmeal raisin cookie. The finish lingers with the sugary oatmeal flavor but a slightly astringent undertone. Overall this is very drinkable and light, an imperial version would be cool.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

Thanks to Haver again.
Man this one pours out a really dark brown with lots of tan suds.
Smell is sugar cookies with charred malts.
Caramel is big here.
Taste is caramel and sweet cookie dough with a dash of raisin and oatmeal thrown in there.
Mouthfeel is a little sticky as would be expected.
Very high in calories this one is and excercise might be a prerequisite for sessioning this great beer.

4.47/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a very very dark brown finger with two and a half fingers of head that just touches the top of the glass. Lacing and retention are very good. The smell on this is absolutely amazing. To me, this doesn't remind me of an oatmeal raisin cookie. It honestly reminds me of my best friend's house back in middle and high school. His house always smelled like this beer. It's incredibly nostalgic, and I can just keep my nose in this all night. To my knowledge, they didn't make many oatmeal raisin cookies there, which is strange, but this is honestly what I get out of it. I can definitely smell the oatmeal, cinnamon, and vanilla. Maybe a candle his mom would always burn? Either way, this is hands-down one of the best smelling brews I've ever smelled.

The taste is incredibly unique. At first, it goes down real smooth with a bit of a raisin hint. Then, there's a ton of spices in this brew, and they all come out on the taste. Cinnamon, nutmeg, all sorts of spices rush in, leaving a pleasant spicy aftertaste. A very good, very complex, very unique beer. The mouthfeel might be a little thin for the spice rush here, but it all works. The one part where this beer suffers is the drinkability. This is definitely a brew to end a good night of drinking. I don't think I'd ever have more than one of these a night. It's just a bit too much to keep drinking all night, I'm glad this is in 12 ounce bottles instead of 22. It honestly tastes and smells like the best memories from my teenage years, which is absolutely mind-blowing. Again, this is a very good, very unique beer that's absolutely worth seeking out. A definite winner from CCB.

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Received as part of a killer package from mhl060. Thanks Matt for your generous box of goodness.

A - When I had this in the tasting room, I though I remember this being a different color (more copper or amber like). The bottle pour was a dark brown with a bubbly head that tames itself pretty quickly.

S - A really enticing brew, featuring a delightful mix of cinn, nutmeg, and other "cookie" related spices. Smells like an oatmeal raisin cookie, who would have thunk that?

T - Follows the nose and is really a nice treat. The cinn, nutmeg, and other spices all play well. There is a bit of a peppery taste, probably coming from the cinn that gives it just enough bite to otherwise detract from the sweetness.

M - Not much going on here; a little thin but it is fine for the brown ale style.

D - I am not sure how many of these you could drink but for one it is a delightful beer. A little sweet and spicey so for me it is one glass and then time to move on. Still, for what they wanted to capture here, I really enjoyed it and think (overall) that it is a great effort.

On to March 12th!

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

Heard a lot about this beer from friends but have been hesitant to try it as it seemed a bit much to expect a beer to taste like Oatmeal raisin cookies.

I know I am serving the beer too cold as I had put it in the fridge 6 hours ago and meant to take it out about 1/2 hour ago. So it has about a 1/4" head with light lacing that dissipates relatively quickly. Took 1 quick sip and decided to wait a while to let it warm.

Wow, what a difference. Smell is not overbearing but distinctly there. I can smell cinnamon, raisin, outmeal and a distinct sweetness. Reminds me of smelling Cinnabon at the mall.

It's fairly well carbonated but thinner in mouthfeel than I expected..but WHAT a taste. Truly like an Oatmeal raisin cookie! Cinnamon, raisin and I swear I can taste the ICING on the top of the cookie. I bought a 4 pack of these and it certainly won't be my last!

The real kicker for me is that distinct icing taste that seems to coat the underlying cookie. What a great brew!

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured out of a standard 12 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a dark brown with reddish tints. Head was massive off white to light brown.

S - Well like it's name has a very similar smell to what else..oatmeal cookie raisin cookies! Has a touch of sweet in the smell maybe vanilla.

T - Raisins and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg) are the first thing I noticed. Pronounced taste like the smell. Has just the slightest touch of bitterness but it balances very well with the sweetness. Nice faint chocolate taste is where the sweetness comes from. I thought the taste got better and better as it warmed up.

M - Nicely carbonated. Medium bodied. Creamy and refreshing.

D - Yes. This makes a good session though it's ABV may fall slightly above the norm. Excellent.

4.18/5  rDev +1%

A-Color is a deep rich dark brown, as mentioned it almost looks like cola. It had a thick long lasting foamy head.

S- That of a cinnamon raisin oatmeal cookie. What more can I say??? Fresh out of the oven? Either way it was like delicious smelling.

T- The taste is very raisiny, but not overpowering as some might hint at. The cinnamon hit me towards the end and once my pallet picked up on both is was quite harmonious. Clearly a nice roasted flavor and of course a malty oatmeal taste.

M- Medium bodied. I feel that it was too carbonated.

Over all, it was a great beer from a small local brewery and I will be trying more as soon as they restock.

3.33/5  rDev -19.6%

I have known oatmeal raisin cookies. I like oatmeal raisin cookies. You, Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale - Oatmeal Raisin Cookie, are no oatmeal raisin cookie.

That said, you had me fooled right until I tasted you. I actually think we could have been really good friends had I never actually put you in my mouth.

My problem with you, if you haven't already figured it out, is that you are like so many cups of tea I've met in my life. Full of whispered promises and soft caresses. A nibble on my ear and a hand on my knee. Once we get down to it, you never actually deliver on those sweet little lies. You disappoint me. You make me uneasy that we entered into this relationship in the first place. Ultimately, my life was better before we met.

Anyway, this beer looks pretty good, a deep and beautiful reddish brown. This beer smells positively freaking divine - full of spice and oats and raisins. I mean, I was practically huffing this like glue. It tastes like a decent brown ale filled with raisins, though, and nothing terribly more fulfilling than that. Another whiff. Another taste. Another disappointment.

On second thought, I may get another bottle just to spend a quiet night alone inhaling it.

3.58/5  rDev -13.5%

Good, lasting head with abundant chunky lace. The color is ruby, brown color. A small amount light passes.

Smells as advertised: reminds me of Quaker oats raisin and cinnimon oatmeal. Strong aroma of these. Appealing in a cookie sort of way.

Tastes more like a conventional brown ale until the swallow, where the cookie aspect leaps forward. Solid body with higher than average carbonation. The aftertaste also has a touch of spicy hop bitterness.

Procured from GBX in Greenville.

A - Pours deep dark brown with faint cola-brown highlights and a mild, tightly foamed dark khaki head.

S - Heavy cinnamon, raisin aroma, with a little alcohol, aroma is not unlike a rum-sauce bread pudding.

T - Taste is, well, intensely raisiny, almost like biting into a pile of raisin peels, with a cinnamon twist essence and some dark brown sugary malt. A little unbalanced and overwhelming, which it not totally surprising given the them of the beer. There's a brown sugary, oatmeal flavor here not unlike the aroma from a pack of Quaker instant oatmeal.

M - Light bodied, medium carbonation.

3.8/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

woah. it's actually hard to review this beer, seeing as pretty much all of the reviews are just rearranged ways of saying that this one smells and tastes just like an oatmeal raisin cookie. it really does. dark mahogany with a big, frothy, tan head that holds well and leaves lots of lace. nose is a heavy-handed dose of oats, followed by vanilla, light brown sugar, and a nice roasty-raisin scent that blends really, really well. taste is all of the above with some nuttiness, earthy maduro roast cigar city signature and slight hop bitterness which seems to send the flavors all over the palate. medium-full body and tons of flavor for such a low abv beer. finish is a little hot (although that could just be the vanilla playing tricks on me...), and mouthfeel gets just a touch sticky. fun to drink, but wouldn't want this regularly. maybe good with ice cream sundae? great creative effort from cigar city.

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Cigar City pint glass:

A: Pours a dark, ruby brown with a 1" light brown head. The thick head slowly subsides into a small cap after a few minutes and leaves little strings of splotchy webbing all around the glass.

S: Semi-sweet notes of roasted malts are the first to come out in the nose. Quickly following is actually an aroma very similar to an oatmeal raisin cookie (imagine that?). You can certainly pick up on undertones predominated by raisin with light notes of vanilla and cinnamon beneath the roasty characteristic of the aroma.

T: A roasty (and slightly smokey), smooth oatmeal malt profile all the way down blended quite well with nuances of sundried raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon, and toffee. It doesn't take much to pick up on the vanilla which well compliments the roasted malts. The cinnamon lingers with a smokey aftertaste in the finish which almost lends to the taste of a fresh baked cookie. All around a well blended, flavorful, and definitely unique brew that achieves exactly what the brewers had in mind when they named it.

M: Impeccably smooth from the oatmeal, medium bodied, and well carbonated. Leaves a sweet, coating taste on the palate which strangely makes me want to reach for a glass of milk...

D: You can easily finish off the glass without second thought in my opinion. A very unique rendition of the traditional brown ale that is remarkably smooth and flavorful. However, I can see some being off-put by the sweet nature of the beer and it does sit quite heavy in the stomach and on the palate (I couldn't see having more than two or three).

All around, the Maduro Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown Ale is more than worth a try. In my opinion, it achieves quite well the exact characteristic of which the name describes while still remaining a solid beer and not feeling exclusively gimmicky.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Spiegelau tulip.

Pours a very dark amber brown with a 1-2 finger creamy tan head. Excellent lacing.

Smell: Smells a lot like fresh baked oatmeal raisin cookies. Typical brown ale aroma paired with cinnamon and raisins.

Taste: Up front is a blast of what tastes like an oatmeal raisin cookie. Cinnamon and raisins are obvious flavors throughout. There is a bit of hoppy bitterness near the finish to go along with toasted malt. Aftertaste is a nice mixture of cinnamon, hops and malt. Very well-balanced.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Goes down very smooth.

Drinkability: Very high drinkability. You could knock back a few of these without any trouble.

Overall: This is an excellent twist on the traditional American Brown Ale. This is one of my favorites from Cigar City and I'm glad they decided to bottle it. I'll be going back for more assuming they keep bottling it.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Aromas of raisin, oatmeal, cinnamon and sweet vanilla. So spot on for an oatmeal raisin cookie it it stupid.

This tastes like a liquid cookie. Molasses, toffee, chocolate and brown sugar are all apparent in the initial flavor. Finishes with a hint of bitterness and a nice light dryness. Perfectly carbonated.

Never before has a beer nailed the flavor of an oatmeal raisin cookie so completely. It is, at the very least, an amazing holiday beer, but it's also a surprisingly drinkable spiced ale. Worth the cost it took to ship this (along with 11 750's of Cigar City from city)

3.6/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a little cloudy, dark brown with orange highlights. Decent head, tan in hue that drops to a film and holds.
Smell is smoky malt, light hops with very light raisin and spice notes, maybe some brown sugar.
Taste is malt, spice (cinnamon & ?) , light hops, brown sugar and raisins.
Medium body though a touch watery with a light effervescence. Good flavor but could use a the bit more of the idea on the label.

Thanks to Deuane for sharing this cool 32oz. medicine bottle on 12/26/10.

A - Poured a dark raisin brown with burgundy highlights around the edges and a frothy beige cap that diminished slightly but flared up with each swirl of the glass.

S - Oatmeal, molasses, raisins, sweet cookie dough malt and brown sugar all combine to create a pleasant oatmeal cookie aroma.

T - Wow! This tastes like a liquid cookie. Molasses, toffee, chocolate and brown sugar are all apparent in the initial flavor. Finishes with a hint of bitterness, most likely from the addition of the molasses.

M - Medium bodied with a slight syrupy texture that is perhaps a tad thin overall. Finish is sweet with a hint of earthy bitterness on the palate.

D - Mission accomplished, I'd say. This is a liquid cookie. Seriously.

12oz bottle poured into a CCB snifter.

Pours a beautiful shade of brown with some purple shades to it. Tan head came and went quickly.

Smell was weet raisin, oatmeal, cinnamon vanilla

The name says it all. Its a liquid oatmeal raisin cookie. Tremendous ale. I almost wanted a glass a milk to chase it with. This barrel aged would be out of control.

4.43/5  rDev +7%

Appearance: Clear dark chestnut body with a crimson cast beneath a short head of creamy tan foam. The head retention is good, and it leaves average lacing about the glass.

Aroma: Malty and gently toasty with a distinct note of dark caramel and almost burnt sugar. Ginger bread cookies. Dark fruit... plum/prune. Brown sugar. A hint of vanilla.

Taste: It's really hard to separate the aroma from the actual flavor one this one. The nose gives me spice (mainly cinnamon) and raisin, but the flavor is giving me more dark sugar. Overall, raisins and spice are the first to appear on the palate. As it warms a bit, the oatmeal comes out (Is this even made with oatmeal? It doesn't matter, the flavor of oatmeal seems to appear). It finishes with a quick dollop of golden syrup on the front of the tongue, dark skinned fruit from end to end, and drying 'oatmeal' in the back.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light in body with a dextrinous edge. Standard carbonation level.

Drinkability: Never before has a beer nailed the flavor of an oatmeal raisin cookie so completely. It is, at the very least, an amazing holiday beer - but it's also a surprisingly drinkable spiced ale. Worth seeking out!!!

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

12 oz bottle poured in to a tulip pint glass on Christmas day.

Pours a clear dark brown with a nice thick fluffy beige head.

Smell is roasty, sweet rasisiny, oatmealy. Exactly what the title describes.

Taste is a hearty whole grain oatmeal raisin cookie. This tastes like it smells, and is right on.

Mouthfeel is good, but this is a very drinkable beer. Kudos to cigar city for bottling this.

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Had a chance to try this one at Cigar City Brewery on a trip to Florida. Must stop if you are in the Tampa area...

A - Poures dark brown with a one finger tan head. Nice head retention, and a decent amount of lacing sticks to the glass. Nice...

S - Cinnamon, caramel, brown sugar, and maybe a little cookie dough. This one smells pretty sweet...

T - Wow, the taste is pretty much dead on an oatmeal raisin cookie with hints of chocolate and roasted malts sprinkled in. Tasty...

M - Medium bodied with a nice creamy mouthfeel, and a decent amount of carbonation...

D - If you are in the mood for something a little sweeter, or are just a fan of oatmeal raisin cookies, as I am, then this beer is for you. Could easily see myself putting a few of these back if they were available in my area. Hoping I will get a chance to try one of these again...

Cheers...