Capricho Oscuro - Batch 3 - Cigar City Brewing

Capricho Oscuro - Batch 3Capricho Oscuro - Batch 3

good

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Strong Ale |  ABV ?

Beer added by: tpd975 on 12-04-2009

A blend of Bolita Double Nut Brown Ale, Improv Oatmeal Rye India-style Brown Ale, and Big Sound Scotch Ale, aged in a Maker’s Mark bourbon barrel.
to view more.
Ratings: 55 | Reviews: 41
2.5/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Another one leaves the cellar. The latest bottle, being Capricho Oscuro (Batch 3), spent nearly three years in my hand via fellow BA user kbm (Kevin). Thanks a lot! Being bottle # 311/480, you know I'm going to relish the moment. On to the beer:

Gusher! Bah, my carpet is ruined. Anyway, this beer forms a thick foamy head at first, and in a few minutes things start to calm down. A soft (and smaller) head sits on top a chestnut brown liquid. Swirling the beer around yields "foam legs" that briefly cling before sliding down the glass. The nose is sour, be scared. Oh, tell us about its other aromas. Well, there actually is a good dose of whiskey soaked oak, sweet and mellow at that. There is still quite an acidic edge to the nostrils, but it actually smells pretty good. Sweet and sour, a mistake that worked?

I'm no finding much of a malty base to this beer. It's a bland sourness with whiskey, and there's a big whiskey accent in this beer. Take out the sourness and I'd be drinking beer flavored whiskey. Bring the sour back into the equation and it's a whiskey beer with a distraction. Nothing complements. The alcohol is hidden well, and its medium (yet acidic) and well carbonated body are positives to pull from.

Not fun, and contrary to the introduction, not a moment I would like to relish. Terrible....

3.92/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks to beerisheaven for this bottle, & one that has lingered in the back of the fridge for far too long. 12 oz. bottle popped with the #4 & split into a pair of small tasting glasses. Bottle 128/400, marked 2009.

Pours industrial plastic black, but really more brown with red highlights. Smell is more leather than I've ever felt coming off the dark surface of a brew. Vanilla & oak; this is a purebred bourbon-barrel reek.

Capricho Oscuro #3 is like a comfortable old baseball glove that's been worn in by plenty of hot-corner shots. Big notes of dusty leather dominate. Harsh notes of whiskey underneath feel a bit dated, faded. Sweet malts are subservient. Root & branch of the oak, probably cut from an Ent. Dry, a touch thin, the wood really sticks around on the palate. Six ounces doesn't seem enough to judge this one: good sign.

Middle-ground. Not as good as batch #2 but better than batch #4. Still a very good beer & a lesson in flashing leather.

3.72/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle shared by Thorpe, WARNING THIS BEER IS A GUSHER. This made us nervous that it was infected, I don't think so, just a big malty beer with way way too much carbonation.

Beer is brown and hazy with a big tan head of small bubbles, low retention, moderate carbonation. Looks good.

Aroma is sweet and strong, mostly malt.

Beer is medium in body and pretty sweet, a little prune, other stone fruits in there, not a very complicated beer but I enjoyed it. The finish was nice, I don't know if I would have it again but I don't regret having it.

3.46/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bottle courtesy of pittsburghkid66 a ways back. Thanks. Served in a snifter.

This one starts out as a gusher, quite a bit so. Only lost a ounce or so, but still impressive. After that, pours black with a huge off-white fizzy head that lasted for a long time before falling and leaving some spotty lacing.

It went downhill from there, with the nose being full of heavy whiskey along with a bit of roast. Faint oak and light tannin. Nothing too complex. Bourbon and oak in the flavor with just a bit of roast. Medium body with a thin overall texture and light carbonation. Decent enough, but nowhere near as good as the other blends.

3.77/5  rDev +1.9%

2009 Batch #3, bottle # 162/480

A - Pours a rich dark brown. Not black, but not see through either. Foamy brown head.

S - Chocolate and cherries. Bourbon, oak, sweet tobacco and leather. Lots of interesting smells going on here. No real definitive hop or malt presence. First whiff is slightly tart. The cherry flavor becomes more pronounced with a chocolate backbone. The subsequent whiffs reveal more flavors.

T - Lots of stuff going on there. Wow. All the things I smelled before, and a couple of new ones. Boozy alcohol burn ignites the cherry twang before becoming a sweeping rush of oak. Vanilla and bourbon flavors wash over the tongue with a dry chocolate finish. The aftertaste is semi sweet with leather and tobacco as well as more chocolate and vanilla.

M - A little thin and over carbonated. The body is not bad, but just not thick enough for a beer with so much going on. I'd like to chew on this more if I could. The carbonation is very active, a little over done if you ask me.

O - A tasty beer. Lots of things going on, but not necessarily working together. The flavors are nice, but I wish they were more well meshed. The tart cherry notes also get in the way. The beer would be better without that. I'm glad I got to try this, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it again.

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Pretty limited I guess. Only a couple hundred 12oz bottles.

Pours a dark woody brown, tints of mahogany. Lacy tan head. Nose has sweet candy malts, ripe fruits, vanilla, oak whiskey barrel and some Brett. Taste has plums, cherries, toffee, caramel, wood, vanilla and bourbon. Has alot going on, well balanced. But lacks a ton of complexity. Body a bit thin. But drinks well.

3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

Bottle 103/480

Pours a rich brown stained leather color. Lots of bubbles cling to the glass but no head or lacing.

Aroma is the best part. Sort of oaky leathery and bourbony with a caramel malt backbone. Smells great.

Tastes similar but the flavor proportions are off. It's too oaky and has a weird roasty bitterness. Little bit of a tang in the finish too. Don't know if I really like this one.

Mouthfeel is actually more dry than I was expecting. This beer needs to be sweeter.

Overall I wouldn't trade for this or buy it off a shelf. I would try their other experimental batches though.

2.83/5  rDev -23.5%

Reviewed on 2/3/2010. Rating #1600!! Bottle 200/480. Pours brown with just the tiniest of tiny rings of light tan head. Aroma of bourbon mostly, plus some oak, sweet malt, toffee, molasses. Flavor is less bourbony with more oakiness, woodsiness, and sweet malts (from the Scotch Ale I think) with an intense woodsy, bourbony finish. This just didn't do it for me -- bourbon dominated the other flavors and I didn't like the overall flavor profile.

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

12oz. Brown bottle.

A: Pours deep dark brown. Decent head with some retention. Good lacing.

S: Lots going on. Good amount of rye but little oat. Barrel and bourbon but balanced. Good sweetness.

T/M: Very tasty nicely balanced barrel and bourbon complimentingthe brown ale and lightly spicy rye. Great medium sweetness with some coconut and light vanilla. Medium full body with smoothing carbonation.

D: Wish I had more :). Plenty of alcohol to slow ya down but a nice sipper.

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

From 08/26/10 notes. Had at a local DC tasting. Bottle 371/480.

a - Pours a murky brown color with no head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of caramel malts, vanilla, bourbon, oak, and chocolate. Lots of bourbon.

t - Tastes of bourbon, oak, chocolate, dark fruit,roasted malts, and a hint of vanilla.

m - Medium body and no carbonation. Pretty easy to drink.

d - I enjoyed this beer and thought it was much better than Batch 2, which we tried side by side. Would like to try again sometime.

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Thanks to Gtreid for this bottle!

Bottle #38/480. The bottle is so mysterious...I wonder what's inside? It pours a darkly translucent garnet-brown topped by a minor ecru head. The nose comprises oak, very light wheat, walnuts, and a strongly alcoholic bourbon. The taste holds notes of oak, rye bread, walnuts, yeast, some slight bourbon, nutmeg, and butter cookies. The body is a heavy medium, with a moderate carbonation and smooth, slick feel. Overall, a tasty brew, but one I can't quite seem to peg.

4.62/5  rDev +24.9%

Another new one for me this evening. I had been wanting to try this one as well for what seemed liked forever. Big thanks for bringing this one. Consumed on 06/09/2010.

Nice dark brown pour, nearly opaque with a little bit of ruddy color shine through on the sides and the bottom on the glass. Nice lacing as it comes up to about a finger in height with a good amount hanging on the glass throughout the session.

Aroma is loaded with whiskey. Deep notes of roasted malts, light coffee, a hint of something spicy as well at first. Warming brings out oak, touches of vanilla and a hint of cocoa. Really full flavor though, this one really took me by surprise. Warm whiskey dominates the flavor, lots of spicy, oak like notes and hints of vanilla and cocoa as well. Smooth, ridiculously smooth with a good bit of coffee jumping up in the finish and a soft, vanilla laden taste left on the palate long after it was done.

Overall just a very, very solid ale here. Does not really fit the mold of any one style, but really just a great blend. Would love to have this one again any day, really just top notch stuff here.

Bottle #265 of 480

A - pours a deep dark brown with a lite tan head that disipates leaving a thin film arounded the edge of the glass.

S - strong bourban, sour cherries, vanilla with a sort of leathery quality

T - follows the noise pretty well tastes of bourban, vanilla, toffee, coffee, wet wood/leather, dark fruits and a slight sour note. Reminds me of a sour brown

M - medium bodied

D - drank the 12oz bottle I had pretty quickly I definatley enjoyed it and would have liked another glass

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

12 oz bottle. 2009 Batch #3 Bottle # 290/480.

Pours into my snifter a deep, dark brown pretty much black. The head is off-white, creamy, and short-lived. You can still make out tiny floaties when you hold it to the light.

The smell reeks of bourbon, which is nice. There is also some oak that brings some vanilla notes. There seems to be a funky sour smell underneath it, I am in the dark on what this beer is supposed to be like so hopefully it is supposed to smell like that. It isn't bad. There is a mild reminiscence of hops.

The taste is smooth and bourbonny. It has nice wood flavor aswell. Underneath there is an inkling of hops and slight fruits.

I'm now thinking they wanted to make a bourbon flavored beer. That is what this is, straight up bourbon with maybe a bit of hops added.

2.62/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I drank this from a 12oz bottle into my Orval glass.

The beer pours a boring watery dark brown with a light tan head that only rises about a finger then is gone right away.

The aroma is overpowering almost too strong with bourbon and to a lesser extent just regular grain alcohol, almost stinging the nostrils. A light oak finish.

The taste is just all bourbon and scotch and alcohol, way to strong and not appetizing at all.

The feel is light, this is a big time sipper.

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

Thanks to honuswagner for this beer. Fresh off the fedex truck and into the fridge it went.

Poured into my pint glass the beer is dark brownwith red tints to it. About one finger of tan head forms amd slowly fades to leave a nice lace ring.

The aroma is sour cherries to start for sure. Then the cedar comes through along with heavy bourbon and what I can only describe as smarties. This a rather interesting nose to say the least.

The flavor is not as harsh as the nose would lead you to believe. Mild dark fruit and a lot of fresh cut grass stand out at first. Then the bourbon and cedar wash over the tastebuds. I maybe even get a hint of coffee in the finish.

Medium body with light carbonation. Rather smooth.

Overall a very interesting beer. Not something I would want everyday but worth trying again.

3.41/5  rDev -7.8%

Thanks to Dan for sharing this one. Pours a very dark brown with a smallish brownish tan head with tight beading. Aroma of bourbon, chalk, berry, maple, and pomegranate. Tastes of cherry cough syrup, booze, and maple with a bitter herbal finish. Body is only moderately thick, thin for such a boozey beer and low to medium carbonation doesn't match. I was happy to try this one, but it is purely experimental. A small sample was enough.

4.12/5  rDev +11.4%

Thanks to jw347 for sending me this one. Figured I'd give it a try even with the somewhat negative buzz. Bottle #92 of 480. Served in a pint-shaped taster glass.

A - Pours with a late-rising finger of tan foam, with surprisingly good retention. It eventually settles to a thin cap, and then a thick ring, but it never goes away. Murky brown body with some red at the fringes - some visible sediment too. Dig the foam, not so impressed with the body.

S - Wow! It's sour! Not at all what I was expecting - it reminds me of a Flanders Oud Bruin. Lactic sourness, spicy wood and bourbon, some apples (calvados?), a bit of vegetal, and a brown ale backbone. The booze is there, but understated.

T - Wet wood, apple brandy(?), tannic, spice, lactic sourness, some vanilla and butterscotch as it warms up. Tastes a little like a less sour, younger, and slightly boozier version of Jolly Pumpkin Bière De Mars - Grand Reserve. Aftertaste is earthy, and then butterscotch pops up quite late.

M - Some carbonation bite, booze is present but somewhat muted. It's a bigger body, but since I don't know the ABV I'm not sure if it's quite enough - could use a bit more heft to correlate with the booze flavors. Very dry & tannic finish.

D - I drank my 6oz pretty quickly, and could easily have had the other half if I weren't sharing with my lovely wife. This was definitely not what I was expecting - but it was a pleasant surprise. I think I may try to trade for a couple more bottles to see how this ages down the road. Is there where all that infected Bolita ended up?

3.82/5  rDev +3.2%

The late rising foam almost looks like nitro (heard it was flat). The first thing that comes to mind is an infected bottle, but it does smell quite appealing! The head on this beer is a nice cream resembling a latte. The liquid, however murky, has a nice red tinge. A little lacing and a ring of foam persists.

Pepper, spice, and some slight funk combine nicely with the dark fruits. The smells continue to emerge...peach, floral notes. I am too interested in drinking this to write anymore about the smell.

This slightly sour concoction with loads of spice, pepper and plum, licorice overwhelms my palate in a way I was not expecting. It is an interesting and enticing plethora of flavours that makes you take sip after sip just to see what you will find next. Overall, a bit scattered, but generally yummy!

There is a nice amount of carbonation, full body, but a slight burn at the back of my throat. It does leave a lovely sweet aftertaste on my tongue.

The mystery percentage makes me wonder if I should drink a lot of this...I tend to be a very silly drunk. =) It is not too heavy and very interesting. I would drink more if I had another bottle!

Thanks to exiled for being the middle man in my trade for this. Not sure which Florida BA sent this, but thanks a lot.

Pours dark brown with a white head. The aroma of brown sugar, oak, bourbon and vanilla. Flavor is oak, bourbon and alcohol that is slightly warming. There is also quite a bit of caramel malt. Slightly watery mouthfeel and low-medium carbonation.

4.7/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle numbered 50/480

Pours a slightly murky brown with a small tan head around the edges.

I smelled raisins , bourbon, some butterscotch, brown sugar, and some other spices in this one. A great variety of smells, was not sure what to expect other than knowing it was an Old Ale.

Taste is very similar to the aromas. I like this one a lot. While not being too overpoweringly strong, the oatmeal raisin flavors are there which this is a blend of and there are definitely some butterscotch/caramelized sugar flavors from the scottish ale. Bourbon, Vanilla, butterscotch. The brown ale is hard to pick out of the lineup only because of the other stronger flavored beers from the blend. Bourbon rounds out all of the flavors and possibly with a little bit of sourness in the end there too, but I found the sour flavor completely enjoyable... Especially after drinking a Boon Geuze it was underwhelming and a great complexity layer.

Light carbonation, in line with a bourbon barrel aged lighter abv mix. Medium body.

A great beer for #200 review. I will be aging the other for some time to come. Thanks to Mullenite!

Thanks goes out to Mothman for sharing this bottle.

Pours a clear brown color, with a off-white head with decent retention. Leaves some spotty and sticky lacing, but nothing spectacular.

The nose comes out strong on the barrel notes, whiskey and oak. Sort of nutty and like an imperial brown ale of sorts.

The taste goes the other direction, while the whiskey and oak notes were strong in the nose, they take a back seat to the base brown ales, becoming more subtle and a more intricate part of the brew. A firm nuttiness with a smooth vanilla character makes this a very enjoyable brew.

About medium in body, with a soft carbonation and a smooth texture. Drinkability is pretty good.

Overall, I was a little skeptical because barrel aged brown ales can be really good or a little iffy. This one turned out very well. I wish I had tried the other batches to have something to compare this too, but this is a great brew.

4.12/5  rDev +11.4%

Thanks to Gtreid for this one. Bottle 52/480

Poured into flute glass.

Pours 1/2 finger of light tan head. Fades to a thin layer. Leaves some splattered lace. Color is a dark bark brown, near black.

Aroma: lots of whiskey and oak flavors. All of the brown ales are also present. Some nut flavors with big malt. Caramel notes as well. Some vanilla notes. Pretty decent for a brown ale.

Taste: Lots of barrel aged notes here. This was seems to be aged a decent amount of time. Big whiskey and oak flavors with vanilla. Lots of malts. Caramel and some chocolate. Pretty decent, but the barrels took this beer over.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy, and warm. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends malty with a little heat.

Overall, this is a solid beer. A ton of barrel age notes. The scotch notes go well with the oak and whiskey flavors. I dig it.

3.28/5  rDev -11.4%

Big thanks to Jw347 for the bottle.

Pours a clear dark ruby blood red with a light tan head that rises with a good pour and retains pretty well leaving ok lacing.

Nose is, in a word, WIERD. Big dark fruits. Caramel. And a touch of vodka like hairspray.

Hmmm. Close to good. The dark fruits are there, but they are pretty overwhelmed by booze. This tastes like it was aged in vodka barrels, haha. Strong vanilla and tannins. Pretty hot.

Mouthfeel is nice and silky, viscous as a mofo, a touch slick, but good for the style.

Drinkability is pretty sketchy. This is a very boozy beer and is a little overdone, IMO. Alcohol is very noticeable, to the point of numbing the tongue.

Overall, a nice beer, but just way too hot and overdone. Its close to something quite nice, but there is just a sloppy akwardness about it. Potential is there, but this does not live up to the 2nd capricho release.

2.66/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: The pour is a muddy brown color with some red highlights. We're not off to a good start...

S: The nose is sugary sweet with plenty of alcohol to the nose. There's a touch of solvent and metal (iron) as well, which was not pleasing.

T: The flavor doesn't improve at all from the nose. The alcohol heat is overwhelming with an cloying sweetness. There's a touch of fruit and a misplaced tartness here as well.

M: The mouthfeel is probably the best part of this beer. Medium bodied with a moderate carbonation, but the alcohol heat ruins it a bit.

D: This beer was just all over the place and really didn't make sense. Nor were any of the flavors very good, to be honest. I definitely would not try this one again.

to view more.