Jai Alai IPA - Papaya - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPA - PapayaJai Alai IPA - Papaya

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-07-2010)

MCN56171, Jul 22, 2014

DIPADude01, Jul 26, 2012

freduardo, Nov 14, 2011

bob727, Nov 21, 2011

Stankonia, Nov 15, 2011

christoj0818, Dec 07, 2011

Discordian, Dec 15, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +22.9%

Well, I am so happy to report that I was able to share three bottles of this great beer. This is an example where I get so mad at my hobby... Why. Why only make this beer once? It's phenomenal!!!! It's not like dried papaya isn't available anymore. Time to raise more money for the Florida Brewer's Guild. One of my favorite IPA's...

A nice aggressive light tan head forms atop this beer. Retention is very impressive and lacing a left all over your glass. A brown/amber color with good clarity.

Aroma is the beginning of your awesome journey. Citrus and tropical fruits, which obviously resemble papaya. Fresh, bright and perfume like. Just wonderful.

The flavor of this beer is just amazing. There is this wonderful balance between the three main components. 1) A toasted malt backbone that is just great. The slightest sense of smoke. Not smokey.. But there is something nice. Reminded me of DFH 60 Minute's malt profile. 2) The bright fresh citrus & pine hop flavors and bitterness. Excellent. 3) And the tropical fruit flavors that just make this very complex and wonderful. Yes, papaya... but it's deeper than just that. All of this works perfectly together..

Subtle carbonation, medium bodied, smooth in your mouth with a touch of oiliness.

Phenominal Beer and one I would chase forever. Please make this again!!!!

Reagan1984, Apr 07, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

sendbeer, Oct 27, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

Alpar, Aug 12, 2014
4.72/5  rDev +18.9%

A - Completely clear golden color with a fingerof head that left a nice lacing down the glass.

S - Aroma is a fantastic balance of hoppy bite, citrus and pine with a fruity sweetness from the papaya.

T - Taste is as good as the smell, a bit hoppierwith lots of citrus and the fruit mostly comesout in the aftertaste. Overall an excellent balanced flavor.

M - Mouthfeel is thick and smooth with a creamy finish.

Overall - Anybody who said don't fruit the beer would change their mind tasting this beer. It has an incredible balance of fruit and hops that will please any palate.

mwa423, Apr 03, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.

This brew is a fairly clear red-amber color with two fingers of head that retains and laces fairly well. The aroma is nice, the standard IPA hoppiness and pineyness are present, along with the normal tropical fruit bouquet from CCB's IPAs. The papaya blends in here on the nose, just adding another dimension to the aroma. The taste is exceptional, this is one of the best fruited beers I've ever had. The papaya is upfront on the taste, riding up front on a wave of other tropical fruits that that washes away to a nice hoppy, piney finish. The best thing is that the fruits are not very sweet too, this is less sweet than even the base Jai Alai. A great fruited IPA.

The mouthfeel is great, it's fairly thick but not quite as thick as a DIPA, and it is fairly highly carbonated. The drinkability is absolutely superb. I really, really love this beer. Now, personally, it must be taken into effect that I love fruit beers and I love IPAs, so the two making a beautiful beautiful child is something basically right up my alley. Highly recommended.

shand, Apr 15, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from a 750 into a Duvel tulip

A- pours a lovely shade of dark orange with a very slight red tint to it with a three finger offwhite head. Excellent lacing. I adore how this looks

S- it smells just like the regular Jai Alai, with a ton more papaya. I love this. So strong and juicy smelling...great

T- a lot of papaya, as you'd expect. It's mainly sweet, and there's just a slight bit of bitterness to it...I'd actually say it's a little too sweet and juicy, but still very nice

M- not too syrupy, but it is very thick. The standard Jai Alai is a lot like that, too

O- damn good beer, but reminds me more of a DIPA than a single IPA. No matter, still very enjoyable and I'm glad it's bottled now

bigfnjoe, Mar 19, 2011

RomaniIteDomum, Mar 14, 2012

codynevels, Nov 17, 2011

HairyHood, Oct 23, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

another new one this week for me from ccb, this was just straight genius. poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 04/12/2011.

nice pour, about what i would have expected with a rich amber color that was very clouded over and a nice and tight crown of what that gracefully sat on top of the glass. the aroma was to die for. just such rich, juicy citrus notes i was beside myself in all their glory. huge notes of papaya, orange, tangerine. so sweet and fresh, it was simply amazing and quite impressive i have to say. each sip opening up into another wonderful example of fresh fruit and smooth, citrus hops. even the finish was so fresh and clean i was simply floored.

overall i dont even know what to say. this was such a good beer i was beside myself. if you get the chance you need to check this one out/

mikesgroove, Apr 16, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

I loved this beer. The papaya adds a nice little extra twist on the already tasty Jai Alai. The extra flavor blends perfectly with the already citrusy (grapefruit and tangerine) notes of the base IPA.

Nice orange, hazy color with pristine white head, about a finger. The head dissipated fairly quickly, leaving pretty spotty lacing (not a ton).

Love the aroma on this one. All the things I love in an IPA. It is a citrus bomb for sure. Great notes of grapefruit, orange/tangerine, maybe a little pineapple, and all wrap in delicious papaya.

The flavors are the citrus notes from the aroma, balanced with the malt backbone of the beer. The malts don't add a tone of flavor, but just enough to keep the huge hop profile in check.

This is a crisp and fairly clean IPA, though it felt slightly more astringent than the regular Jai Alai, but overall a pretty smooth drinking brew.

I really loved this beer and thought it was a cool twist on the already dynamite Jai Alai.

CaskBeerouac, May 18, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +10.8%

Wow, what a pour. Tulip glass, beautiful burnt orange, sticky foam with a hell of a lot of lacing.

Wow, what an aroma. Smells sweetly floral with tropical fruits, not explicitly papaya - I'd say some passionfruit.

Great-tasting IPA here. Lots of tropical fruit-y hop flavor without a ton of residual soapy bitterness. Don't expect too much papaya - I'm not certain how much of the tropical fruit flavors I'm getting are from the hops, or the papaya...I suspect it's hops.

Medium-bodied, it straddles the line between a regular IPA and a DIPA.

I'm not a CCB homer; I've been quite critical of some of their beers. I either love their beer or I hate it. This one, I love. My very minor criticism would be that I'd like to see a little more actual papaya taste, which caused me to knock off a taste point, but even so, this is a very good IPA, one of the best I've had in a while, so I feel justified in giving a 5 for overall impression. Great beer. Weird, I'm not too crazy about regular Jai-Alai, but I love its treatments. This 750 is done.

Patrick999, Apr 27, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 750ml bottle.
Split with my lady.

A - Pours a nice clear and flittered solid copper color with some slight orange notes. There is a nice .35 inch white head that recedes a bit quickly but is quite denes. After a vigorous swirl the head grows to a nice .5 inch an stay for a bit.

S - Citrus and tropical aroma. Some nice fruitiness to it which defiantly seems like papaya. Some mango and some slight tangerine is present in the nose. The papaya gives it a nice dry note to it. Very interesting hop aroma combines with the fruit.

T & M - Taste starts off with some slight citrus and some nice tropical fruit notes. Some mango and some slight tangerine. Then the papaya kicks in which gives it a nice slight sweet fruity note but its also a fresh papaya fruitiness, which is kind off dry. Delicious bitter finish to this beer with an enveloping grassy and dank profile. It is quite fruity and fresh tasting beer. As it warms the papaya is quite nice and prevalent. Mouthfeel is nice and light with some refreshing notes and good CO2.

O - Great IPA and I can imagine a great version of Jai Alai.

JoEBoBpr, May 27, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

I picked up a couple 750ml of these at Cigar City's taste room. The proceeds go to benefit the Florida Brewers Guild, which is where I first tried it on draft.

A - Pours a very clear amber. Lots of head and great lacing with some carbonation.

S - Fruity, floral, and piney.

T - Tastes a lot like it smells. Seems to be a little easier to drink than the regular Jai Alai. But I'm not really an IPA drinker.

M - Nice carbonation. Very smooth and easy to drink.

O - Very nice beer will definately have another

jaw8325, Mar 21, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

Thanks to Colin for sending me this bottle from sunny Florida! Really enjoy these CCB brews, and look forward to giving this one a shot! Poured from 750 ml bottle into La Fin Du Monde tulip.

Appearance: Pours a very beautiful mineral amber color with a copper hue, huge white bubbly 2 finger head. I hardly ever give above a 4 for appearance, but this one gets the nod.

Nose: Ahhh, yes. There is that Jai Alai nose with a bit of dried fruit attached at the end for good measure. Papaya, apricot, and a bit of citrus hop.

Taste: Jai Alai is so tasty, and this really gives it some extra oomph. The dried fruit really meld well with the bright flavors of the hops. Nice mellow, easy drinking profile.

Mouth: Bright, full of carbonation. This beer explodes with aroma in the glass, and flavor in the mouth. A really wonderful IPA variation. I'd like to do a side by side with the DFH Aprihop, both great variations on classic styles, this one might take it.

Drink and Overall: Honestly, a really fantastic beer. I'm super happy Colin (Alienoqium) sent this one along with a box of CCB goodies. Very drinkable, and enjoyable. The ABV is just right, and the blend of dried fruit and hops is wonderful. Thumbs up CCB!

MarcatGSB, May 03, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

A: Pours a slightly hazy amber body with a small white head. Leaves behind some nice spotty lacing.

S: A nice hoppy aroma with notes of tropical fruits (papaya) and pine. Very similar to Jai Alai, just more fruity.

T: Being that it's a Papaya IPA, I expected it to have a more strong tropical fruit flavor. Put that aside, a nice bitter pine hop upfront, followed by some caramel malts, and finishes with tropical/papaya fruit flavor. Slightly sweeter then their regular Jai Alai and very well balanced.

M: Medium body & carbonation, smooth & sticky texture.

O: Really enjoyed this beer and wish I bought more then 1 bottle. Extremely easy to drink and very smooth.

BrewCrew2010, Mar 27, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

A- looks just like troegs nugget nectar and it really sticks to the glass

S- the smell is nice and very different from any other ipa but its not potent very subtle, I prefer to smell the bottle than the glass to get a better aroma of the beer.

T- I have eaten lots of papaya so I actually know what it taste like and it does taste like papaya, I have even eaten allot of papaya from Cuban woman ;) this is a very nice and distinctive ipa IMO it is their best ipa, so they better continue it, much better than their regular jai ali ipa.

M-Its good, damn good, cause you know its good! yes I may have had one to many. but thats not stoping me from having another now is it!

O-I'll drink this beer till the cows come home.

JeffSpicoli, Mar 27, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Pours a light red with hints of yellow and orange. A wispy white head sits atop for a good while and laces nicely. The head consists of a copious amount of large bubbles and the beer itself us full of light small bubbles rising to the top quite a while after the pour is finished.

S: Light, piney hops are the dominant smell, but a sweetness from the papaya (I assume) is noted as well. A malt backbone is present, but in the background.

T: The hops really dont dominate the taste here. A slight hoppiness starts the beer off smooth. Followed by the papaya sweetness noted in the smell. The beer finishes with a nice malty, beady finish that makes the beer very well balanced. Hints of alcohol are only barely noticeable on the back, and linger for a bit.

MF: light and nicely carbonated. Not particularly dry on the finish, but the alcohol taste makes up for it.

O: I didn't know what to expect here, and I was quite happily surprised. The taste is not overly sweet, but the fruit ads some character to the IPA. Very drinkable and well balanced. Top notch IPA in my book.

russwbeck, Jun 13, 2011