Jai Alai IPA - Papaya - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPA - PapayaJai Alai IPA - Papaya

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-07-2010)

3.08/5  rDev -22.6%

No freshness information available on the bottle. Poured in to Duvel tulip.

A - Light to medium orange/amber colour. Appears to be completely filtered. A small amount of cream coloured head formed and slowly receded to a few bubbles.

S - The initial nose is sweet caramel malts. A slight hop bitterness is apparent as well with some citrus notes evident but I don't specifically get the papaya.

T - Very malt forward, which makes me question the freshness. Sweet caramel malts and a slight hop bitterness that is more evident in the finish is apparent but certainly doesn't seem to be as dominant as I expected round out the flavour profile. The hops bring some light citrus notes and a slight papaya flavour is evident as well but I really had to be looking for it to find it.

M - Medium body, light to moderate carbonation.

O - This was very disappointing but likely not the most fresh bottle. Without bottle dating, I won't give the brewery the benefit of the doubt.

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

4.22/5  rDev +6%

Review from mid-May 2011, beer purchased from brewery around mid-March 2011. Poured from a 750ml bottle into a nonic:

A: Pours with hues of golden honey and amber topped off by a foamy, cream colored head that sticks to the sides of the glass.

S: Full on citrusy, clean aroma with a slightly tart note in the finish of the nose gifted presumably by the papaya. Beckons you forward...

T: Surprisingly floral in the hop profile (given the nose) with citrus like notes of grapefruit and orange-rind coming in for the second round. Light, caramel malts prop up the beer then gently fade into a tart, sublty sweet finish. Great tasting cast of flavors!

M: Good carbonation with a medium body. Drying in the finish with a clinging bitterness. Pretty refreshing and makes you want to drink more.

O: Compared to a regular Jai Alai, the papaya plays a relatively minor role and only really comes through in it's characteristic tartness. Regardless, the tartness complements the typically juicy, sweet Jai Alai flavors nicely. I would buy this beer again as I quite enjoyed it.

2.93/5  rDev -26.4%

750ml into tulip. Thanks to silverX for this. If this is the same batch he reviewed this would make it a 7 month old bottle.

A- Slightly chill hazed copper pour. Booming 3+ finger off white head. Tiny carbonation bubbles shooting to the top everywhere. Lacing is just sheeting around the glass.

S- Slight pine and floral notes. Papaya is there but very subdued. There is a slight alcohol presence with a sweet malt backing.

T- Pine and floral hops up front again. A strange medicinal taste which I can only attribute to the papaya with a bit of the alcohol. There is a lingering papaya aftertaste in my mouth that won't go away. It's a juicy papaya aftertaste that changes to a dry rind feeling/taste. It's far from off putting just very strange.

M- Medium bodied, lively carbonation, slight alcohol warmth.

O- I'm not super impressed. It's different for a change but I'm not sure that papaya is the go to IPA addition. Mind you this isn't fresh I can only imagine how different it was than.

3.7/5  rDev -7%

I bought a bomber at Luekens in Dunedin. Poured into a tulip. Somewhat cloudy and amber in color with a beautiful tightly piled off white heading that left tremendous lacing throughout the tasting.

The nose is unlike anything I've ever whiffed. The notes of a regular hoppy IPA are apparent but with fruity more yeasty potency kind of steals the show. A somewhat fruit funk binds this all together. Not crazy potent but noticeable.

Taste is solid. It delivers what it promises a heavy hoppy IPA hits hard at first as it mellows on the palate a bit of Papaya knocks this IPA into low gear with a more boozy finish. Papaya really pinches the cheeks.

Medium body with great carbonation. Smooth with a slickey buttery mouthfeel.

An all around very unique tasting beer. Just fell short in certain area's for me.

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance: Generates a massive head that sits atop the clear amber liquid; the retention is excellent and there are plenty of lacing strands left around the pint glass

Smell: Tropical fruits with loads of pith; a combination of both citrus and other elements; hard to pick up the papaya but papaya is not a fruit that is particularly sweet or fragrant

Taste: Hop forward, with citrusy bitterness dominant; by mid-palate, the papaya can be discerned underneath, but I would not have picked it out had it not been clearly identified as an ingredient; clean malt flavors provide a nice backdrop for the tropical flavors

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Glad I found a bottle of this on a recent trip to Miami but as it does have a bit of age on it, I wonder whether the papaya and citrus would have been more vivid in its early days

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

I split this one with a buddy whom had never had any Cigar City before. We followed it with a Humidor Series Spanish Cedar IPA [I've already rated this from a previous experience]. Needless to say, I think he really enjoyed his Cigar City exposure...

Huge thanks to miamichael2 who sent me up a couple of bottles after I had inquired about the availability and freshness of them recently!

A~orange, somewhat hazy body with a nicely placed layer of head

S~lighter than expected fruit, alongside of an earthy quality; mixed with a blend of tropical hops presence

T~although I was hoping for more fruit to shine through, this was still a tasty beer. Fruit, hops, some malt - a little sweetness, yet very appealing.

M~medium in body, refreshing

O~worth the shot if you get the chance :)

3.2/5  rDev -19.6%

Got this in a 750. I've read online that as an IPA it might not be at its freshest considering the time-frame of its brewing.

It poured a radiant burnt orange with clarity and a decent off-white head. Minimal lacing.

Smellingly speaking, I get some caramel malts, citrus fruits, flowery hops and lots of sweetness from the papaya.

Taste is pretty standard. Lots of floral qualities, I don't much papaya except in its sweetness, and unfortunately the finish, which comes along quickly, is exceptionally bitter and metallic.

It had a medium body, really sticks around and if you pay close attention, you can get some nice flavors hidden behind all that bitterness.

Disclaimer: I don't like IPAs, but I continually try them because I'm interested in beer and it's one of the heavy hitters in the craft world now. They are growing on me, a little.

3.78/5  rDev -5%

Thanks to Tolann and her friends for sharing beers a month or so back at her basement party. This one poured a clear dark orange color with an off-white head. Aromas of apricots, papaya and guava. On the palate this one was medium bodied and fairly sweet, with flavors of apricot, papaya and guava.

Big thanks goes out to my boy Jefe73 for sending this one my way! Shared this one with a few people at BASC. Served from bottle into a Duck-Rabbit snifter. Poured a hazy orange-yellow with a half finger off-white head that subsided to minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, citrus, citrus hop, and passion fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, citrus, citrus hop, earth, passion fruit, and earthy hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty decent brew. This was not my favorite variation of the Jai Alai, but it still wasn't bad by any means. The papaya was hard for me to pick up but it came across as passion fruit on my palate. It wasn't very pronounced in my bottle which was a slight disappointment, but overall the brew was solid. Really glad I got to try this one and to share it with some good friends/BAs while in-line at the BASC release!

3.63/5  rDev -8.8%

While visiting Miami from out of town, this is one of the Cigar City beers I was able to pick up to sample the brewery's work. It makes a great first impression, with a hazy yet brilliant orange color being topped by a thick, creamy, off-white head that leaves great lacing as I emptied the glass. The aroma is varied but not very fragrant, with light notes of honey, flowers, orange, and a dull pine characteristic.

The flavor is likewise pleasant but not as exotic as I had hoped, with big doses of wood and pine being contrasted by a fruity sweetness that is more like canned peaches than like papaya. Because I know it's there, I can force myself to taste the papaya, but it is not prominent. The texture is solid for an IPA, with a resinous body that lingers long after each swallow. Overall, this is a well-done IPA, but it is far more common than I was hoping.

Huge thanks to ericandersnavy for sharing this beer. I love the Jai Alai series and look forward to drinking this beer.

The beer pours and orange color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the papaya with some bready malt mixed in. I also get a little bit of toffee and caramel with some floral notes mixed in.

The flavor has a lot of papaya and other citrus notes with some bread and toffee malt. The bitterness is fairly low and the flavor is all about the fruit.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Jai Alai IPA - Papaya from Cigar City Brewing