Jai Alai IPA - Papaya - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPA - PapayaJai Alai IPA - Papaya

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-07-2010)
mmcnaughton

Alabama

11-14-2011 06:48:16 | More by freduardo
RossCain

4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

Review from mid-May 2011, beer purchased from brewery around mid-March 2011. Poured from a 750ml bottle into a nonic:

A: Pours with hues of golden honey and amber topped off by a foamy, cream colored head that sticks to the sides of the glass.

S: Full on citrusy, clean aroma with a slightly tart note in the finish of the nose gifted presumably by the papaya. Beckons you forward...

T: Surprisingly floral in the hop profile (given the nose) with citrus like notes of grapefruit and orange-rind coming in for the second round. Light, caramel malts prop up the beer then gently fade into a tart, sublty sweet finish. Great tasting cast of flavors!

M: Good carbonation with a medium body. Drying in the finish with a clinging bitterness. Pretty refreshing and makes you want to drink more.

O: Compared to a regular Jai Alai, the papaya plays a relatively minor role and only really comes through in it's characteristic tartness. Regardless, the tartness complements the typically juicy, sweet Jai Alai flavors nicely. I would buy this beer again as I quite enjoyed it.

11-13-2011 03:21:22 | More by RossCain
korguy123

Ontario (Canada)

2.93/5  rDev -26.2%

750ml into tulip. Thanks to silverX for this. If this is the same batch he reviewed this would make it a 7 month old bottle.

A- Slightly chill hazed copper pour. Booming 3+ finger off white head. Tiny carbonation bubbles shooting to the top everywhere. Lacing is just sheeting around the glass.

S- Slight pine and floral notes. Papaya is there but very subdued. There is a slight alcohol presence with a sweet malt backing.

T- Pine and floral hops up front again. A strange medicinal taste which I can only attribute to the papaya with a bit of the alcohol. There is a lingering papaya aftertaste in my mouth that won't go away. It's a juicy papaya aftertaste that changes to a dry rind feeling/taste. It's far from off putting just very strange.

M- Medium bodied, lively carbonation, slight alcohol warmth.

O- I'm not super impressed. It's different for a change but I'm not sure that papaya is the go to IPA addition. Mind you this isn't fresh I can only imagine how different it was than.

10-17-2011 22:58:20 | More by korguy123
TheFightfan1

3.7/5  rDev -6.8%

I bought a bomber at Luekens in Dunedin. Poured into a tulip. Somewhat cloudy and amber in color with a beautiful tightly piled off white heading that left tremendous lacing throughout the tasting.

The nose is unlike anything I've ever whiffed. The notes of a regular hoppy IPA are apparent but with fruity more yeasty potency kind of steals the show. A somewhat fruit funk binds this all together. Not crazy potent but noticeable.

Taste is solid. It delivers what it promises a heavy hoppy IPA hits hard at first as it mellows on the palate a bit of Papaya knocks this IPA into low gear with a more boozy finish. Papaya really pinches the cheeks.

Medium body with great carbonation. Smooth with a slickey buttery mouthfeel.

An all around very unique tasting beer. Just fell short in certain area's for me.

09-07-2011 18:06:52 | More by TheFightfan1
brentk56

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance: Generates a massive head that sits atop the clear amber liquid; the retention is excellent and there are plenty of lacing strands left around the pint glass

Smell: Tropical fruits with loads of pith; a combination of both citrus and other elements; hard to pick up the papaya but papaya is not a fruit that is particularly sweet or fragrant

Taste: Hop forward, with citrusy bitterness dominant; by mid-palate, the papaya can be discerned underneath, but I would not have picked it out had it not been clearly identified as an ingredient; clean malt flavors provide a nice backdrop for the tropical flavors

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Glad I found a bottle of this on a recent trip to Miami but as it does have a bit of age on it, I wonder whether the papaya and citrus would have been more vivid in its early days

08-28-2011 23:23:18 | More by brentk56
vande

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

I split this one with a buddy whom had never had any Cigar City before. We followed it with a Humidor Series Spanish Cedar IPA [I've already rated this from a previous experience]. Needless to say, I think he really enjoyed his Cigar City exposure...

Huge thanks to miamichael2 who sent me up a couple of bottles after I had inquired about the availability and freshness of them recently!

A~orange, somewhat hazy body with a nicely placed layer of head

S~lighter than expected fruit, alongside of an earthy quality; mixed with a blend of tropical hops presence

T~although I was hoping for more fruit to shine through, this was still a tasty beer. Fruit, hops, some malt - a little sweetness, yet very appealing.

M~medium in body, refreshing

O~worth the shot if you get the chance :)

08-21-2011 21:07:44 | More by vande
rel

3.2/5  rDev -19.4%

Got this in a 750. I've read online that as an IPA it might not be at its freshest considering the time-frame of its brewing.

It poured a radiant burnt orange with clarity and a decent off-white head. Minimal lacing.

Smellingly speaking, I get some caramel malts, citrus fruits, flowery hops and lots of sweetness from the papaya.

Taste is pretty standard. Lots of floral qualities, I don't much papaya except in its sweetness, and unfortunately the finish, which comes along quickly, is exceptionally bitter and metallic.

It had a medium body, really sticks around and if you pay close attention, you can get some nice flavors hidden behind all that bitterness.

Disclaimer: I don't like IPAs, but I continually try them because I'm interested in beer and it's one of the heavy hitters in the craft world now. They are growing on me, a little.

08-03-2011 01:14:27 | More by rel
emmasdad

Colorado

3.78/5  rDev -4.8%

Thanks to Tolann and her friends for sharing beers a month or so back at her basement party. This one poured a clear dark orange color with an off-white head. Aromas of apricots, papaya and guava. On the palate this one was medium bodied and fairly sweet, with flavors of apricot, papaya and guava.

07-28-2011 20:41:47 | More by emmasdad
thagr81us

South Carolina

Big thanks goes out to my boy Jefe73 for sending this one my way! Shared this one with a few people at BASC. Served from bottle into a Duck-Rabbit snifter. Poured a hazy orange-yellow with a half finger off-white head that subsided to minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, citrus, citrus hop, and passion fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, citrus, citrus hop, earth, passion fruit, and earthy hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty decent brew. This was not my favorite variation of the Jai Alai, but it still wasn't bad by any means. The papaya was hard for me to pick up but it came across as passion fruit on my palate. It wasn't very pronounced in my bottle which was a slight disappointment, but overall the brew was solid. Really glad I got to try this one and to share it with some good friends/BAs while in-line at the BASC release!

07-18-2011 18:56:11 | More by thagr81us
devilben02

3.63/5  rDev -8.6%

While visiting Miami from out of town, this is one of the Cigar City beers I was able to pick up to sample the brewery's work. It makes a great first impression, with a hazy yet brilliant orange color being topped by a thick, creamy, off-white head that leaves great lacing as I emptied the glass. The aroma is varied but not very fragrant, with light notes of honey, flowers, orange, and a dull pine characteristic.

The flavor is likewise pleasant but not as exotic as I had hoped, with big doses of wood and pine being contrasted by a fruity sweetness that is more like canned peaches than like papaya. Because I know it's there, I can force myself to taste the papaya, but it is not prominent. The texture is solid for an IPA, with a resinous body that lingers long after each swallow. Overall, this is a well-done IPA, but it is far more common than I was hoping.

07-12-2011 16:11:40 | More by devilben02
Mora2000

Huge thanks to ericandersnavy for sharing this beer. I love the Jai Alai series and look forward to drinking this beer.

The beer pours and orange color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the papaya with some bready malt mixed in. I also get a little bit of toffee and caramel with some floral notes mixed in.

The flavor has a lot of papaya and other citrus notes with some bread and toffee malt. The bitterness is fairly low and the flavor is all about the fruit.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

07-12-2011 03:01:51 | More by Mora2000
claspada

3.68/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours a rich cloudy amber color with a nice and tight eggshell crown cap. The aromas are not as intense as I was expecting/hoping for. They begin with juicy citrus (orange mainly) hops with some pale and light caramel sweetness. As you dive back in you get some more tropical fruitiness (which I have to assume is Papaya, but if I didn't have the label in front of me I wouldn't have known.
The tastes begin with light pale and bready malts but only for a moment, because the intense bitterness immediately assaults your palate. As it warms you are able to discern the hop flavors a little more. You get some orange, tropical fruits, grapefruit but they are all kinda muddled together. Not a great hop flavor here. This is quite sticky and resinous actually. Mouthfeel is full but the finish is fairly dry from the ample hopping. Plenty of carbonation.
Overall this is a good IPA; I have had a few of their fruit aged IPAs before (on cask) and this is much more bitter than I remember, but that is to be expected from bottle vs. cask conditioned beers, specifically IPAs. This was bottled in March so who knows if the freshness is a factor. Anyway, I prefer their White Oak which I had again last evening; it is also a better deal because it comes in 4 packs for a similar $ point. Worth a sample if you have never had a fruit IPA before.

07-09-2011 19:04:26 | More by claspada
billshmeinke

2.73/5  rDev -31.2%

Review from old notes.

Amber/golden clear body. Two finger frothy white head. Good retention and wispy lacing.

Smells fruity and sweet. The papaya comes through a tad. Earthy hops hide behind the sweetness and fruit along with some alcohol.

Tastes of light malty sweetness up front papaya is there, but kinda lingering in the background. Some bitter/resinous hops and a dollop of fusel alcohol come in at the end. Yuck.

Mid range carbonation for an IPA. Medium bodied. Super hot. Minus points.

Too hot, alcohol is just way too present. Papaya didn't add enough to the mix to make up for it's flaws.

06-29-2011 21:56:09 | More by billshmeinke
aepb1

3.93/5  rDev -1%

A- orange body with a creamy ivory head and lots of lacing

S-tropical fruits, sweet

T- fruit, sweet malts up front, finishes with a nice bitter citrus hop bite

M- medium body, moderate carbonation, not crisp but refreshing

O- a very refreshing beer. Not the best jai alai variation but a solid take

06-26-2011 00:38:33 | More by aepb1