1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Jai Alai IPA - Peach - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPA - Peach
No picture uploaded.

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: Gtreid on 01-15-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 143 | Reviews: 35 | Show All Ratings:
jrallen34

3.85/5  rDev -11.5%

On-tap at the pub, tried next to the papaya. Theu look the same to me, dark peach, not much retention... The aroma is lots of alcohol with a peachy finish... The taste shows off the peach more in the taste, especially compared to the papaya. The finish is so smooth and sweet, great depiction of peach. Shows off peach well but doesn't prove to be a great ipa. An ipa with a with a peach finish, good, nothing special.

03-12-2011 20:59:12 | More by jrallen34
cosmicevan

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Superstar North Babylon for hosting a Cigar City tasting and having this available.

a - Through the growler has a nice apple juice look to it (and the jug being shaped that same almost had my pregnant wife cracking it open while looking for the juice!). Poured into a Duvel taster tulip, still fresh so lots of nice carbonation and a bubbly off white head which slowly faded leaving sparse lacing blotches on the glass...settles as a clear orange.

s - Unreal. Peaches...perfectly ripe mouth watering peaches. Touch of grapefruit, but peaches all the way. I could smell this all day.

t - While peaches are featured in the flavor as well, the bitterness is a bit much for me to rave about the taste like the nose. Jai Alai is a really subtle and balanced IPA in my opinion and the peaches seem to have brought out the bitterness. Quite delicious and unique.

m/d - I really wish that this was in bottles and available to me all of the time. The folks at cigar city have proven themselves time and time again with their product, but this beer is in a class of it's own. It is amazing what you can do with a beer and this is ground breaking stuff and something that should be a staple for trying to convert non-craft drinkers. Jaii Alai on it's own is a great beer, most of the variations are excellent twists on the original. I guess when you have a great starting point...? This one has a stronger bitterness, but the peach flavor and smell (WOW, the smell) more than make up for bittery mouth and flavor. It is delicious and easy to drink.

03-06-2011 22:01:15 | More by cosmicevan
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.7/5  rDev -14.9%

Cigar City smokes NYC at Rattle N Hum. Peachy aroma, it smells likethe real thing rather than extract. Dark yellow body, little head. Smooth drinker, though carbonation is right there. More of a pale hale in terms of bitterness tasted. A Nice novelty.

03-04-2011 12:43:14 | More by Sammy
wcintula

I had this one after the Kumquat Orange and Cigar City Brewing did a much better job imparting the fruit flavor from the name of the beer into the beer itself. Great strong peach aroma as well as flavor added to a delicious IPA. Like the original and want something different? Go for this sweet version.

03-03-2011 03:43:35 | More by wcintula
socon67

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Had this at the CCB tasting at Beer City in North Babylon, NY.

Poured into a Hoffbrau mug

A - Orange and slight carbonation.

S - Sweet and plenty of peach flavor. It is not overwhelming, and quite nice. Doesn't come off as forced/articificial.

T - OMG! This is a nice variant of an american IPA. Slightly hoppy and hints of grain give way to a sweet finish loaded with peach flavor. Almost like a peach Snapple, if it were a beer.

M - Extremely light for the ABV, and smooth. I can imagine this being rediculous in the summer.

D - They really need to make this in bottles for us that live too far from the brewery. I would love to have this in the summer.

CCB has gone up a few notches in my book with this.

03-03-2011 01:24:25 | More by socon67
Thorpe429

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

Reviewed from notes. Thanks to Casey for this growler.

Pours an orange apricot color into my tulip. Nose brings some really nice peach aromas with a bit of citrus fruit and some pine. Tropical notes abound. Taste is pretty good with some peach, although the nice bitterness an resin from the original Jai Alai is a bit muted. Great feel with a nice smoothness and body. Drinks incredibly well and overall is a very good variation on the original.

11-08-2010 03:04:57 | More by Thorpe429
afksports

4.9/5  rDev +12.6%

The favorite craft beer I had during NYC Beer Week. Probably one of the favorites I've had ever. Ever ever? Ever ever. Where can I buy more of this and how. Please let me know and I will.

The appearance is akin to the Jai Alai IPA. Not much different about the orange and red hue with a finger of head. Still, it's as appealing as you'd expect.

The aroma is absolutely delightful. You've got the typical IPA smell of hops, a scent of florals coming in, and then a huge blast of peach. An orchardful.

The taste has the same batch of peaches. Somehow when you get fruit in beers they overpower everything else and you feel like it's juice. In IPA's, I feel like too frequently it's just all hops. Or there's sweetness of malt but nothing to balance it. This has it all. The peaches are present, but tempered by the hops, which bite at the finish and keep it clean.

Mouthfeel is just as well done. Carbonation and a thick medium body keep it interesting.

Best part about this for me is the drinkability, probably because it's an IPA variety that I can finally enjoy. A++. Can't wait to travel to Tampa.

UPDATE: Had on tap also, at Blind Tiger's CCB event. Still measures up.

Serving type: cask

10-03-2010 21:26:18 | More by afksports
ktrillionaire

4.1/5  rDev -5.7%

A - Pours a shade or two darker than normal Jai Alai, but generally appears similar. The head and lace may not be as vigorous.

S - Lots of fresh peach aroma, some piney-citric hop behind it and the malt mostly fuses with the peach to enhance the sensation of sweetness.

T - This beer tastes like a fruit beer, first and foremost, with a huge bitter hoppiness underlying it. Bottom line: I like it. I think this is an interesting and quite pleasing brew, although the peach is so prominent that it overwhelms most of the base subtleties without adequately replacing them. It reminds me of the peach-flavored Snapple that I used to love years ago. I don't love that peach Snapple anymore; I don't know if it has changed or I have. Anyhow, it is really not an improvement on Jai Alai, and it is especially not as delicious as Tropical IPA or Creamsicle IPA.

M - IPA. Good.

D - The peach is a bit much for me, but other people love it.

07-26-2010 01:29:55 | More by ktrillionaire
tpd975

4.6/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On draft at my house.

A: Pours a nice bright copper orange with a nice tall fluffy head. Awesome retention and loads and loads of lace.

S: Wonderful aromas from this one. Sweet Peach O's candy like aromas with hints of citrus and pine.

T: Yowzers. Wonderful rich sweet peach flavor. The peach flavors are sweet yet mildly earthy.... think peach pit and the fuzz of the peach. The regualr Jai Alai is there with notes of citrus and pine. Mild sweet caramel and wow is there peach from start to finish. Dare I say Awesome? The best CCB IPA that has passed my lips.

M: Medium in body, smooth, great carbonation from the kegerator.

D: Awesome I was gonna invite a few friends over to share this one, but I think I will keep it all to myself. I can not dream of a better beer to enjoy while sitting pool side.

Huge thanks to Joe and Tim for doing this one for me. I owe you!

06-13-2010 19:15:52 | More by tpd975
Gtreid

3.95/5  rDev -9.2%

Growler poured into my CCB tulip.

A: Identical to the regular Jai Alai. Hazy, copper penny color. The pour drops a quarter of off white head, that retains well and leaves some great lace.

A: I get the healthy dose of hops, the nice malt backbone, and yes, the peaches. The peaches really add a different aspect to the base brew.

T: The peaches are subtle, showing up on the back end. Still a great balance of hops with the malt. Finishes very peachy sweet.

M: Medium body, average carbonation. A little sticky from the fruit sugars.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is lower than the base brew due to the added sweetness. Overall, pretty solid treatment. Can't wait to try the mango version. Skal.

01-15-2010 22:12:33 | More by Gtreid