Jai Alai IPA - Tropic-ale - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPA - Tropic-ale
No picture uploaded.

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 03-08-2010)
Reviews by mverity:
4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

mverity, Jun 24, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Many Thanks to Thorpe429 for the growler!

A: Mainly amber in color, with a slight bit of cloudiness, but a very nice slightly off white head that leaves excellent lacing. A nice amount of carbonation rises from the bottom of the glass. I am most impressed by the carbonation levels for this coming from a growler.

S: Loads of fruity aromas from mango, papaya, tangarine, grapefruit, and most notably pineapple. It reminds me a little bit of a tropic island drink. The grapefruit also provides a very nice bitterness that balances this out a little.

T: Again completely hop/ fruit forward! There is a slight hint of caramel present that adds a touch of sweetness and the grapfruit adds a bitterness in the end.

M: Good body and nothing harsh of note.

D: I could have plenty of this and the growler was no problem at all. A winner for sure from CCB

mikey711, Mar 18, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

A big thanks to Bobby for getting this one out to me. I was beyond thrilled to be able to try it. Brought it over the inlaws for the Bday party. Served cold and split in two pint glasses, this one was consumed on 03/27/2010.

The pour was about what I would have expected. Deep amber in color and very cloudy. Nice tight head of white perched on top that settled down to a thin cap after a few moments. Aroma is ripe fruit, mangos, papaya, orange and tangerine fill the air. Really nicely done and very fresh. As I take the first sip I can feel the juice in it. Wonderful hop notes blend seemlessly with the fresh fruit and create a very bitter and very well defined flavor. Smooth and refreshing it was very easy to drink and enjoy.

Overall a very solid offering from CCB and something I would love to try again. Gotta get me more of these one off growlers.

mikesgroove, Mar 29, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from 32 ounce growler into a Unibroue tulip. Thank you so much Zack for bringing this from Tampa for me! Tall, soapy, white, long lingering head leaves sticky, soapy lacing on the glass. Beer is vibrant orange. Aroma is pine, grass, pineapple and MANGO! I'm drinking this despite the fact that I'm highly allergic to mangoes...the only thing on earth I know of that I'm allergic to. I don't really care that this may cause an allergic reaction. I'm not passing on this opportunity to drink a Cigar City beer. The fruit additions add a tasty layer to an already amazing science project. This is just delicious in every way, I just hope I don't pay for it in a few hours...

KickbacksSteve, Mar 17, 2010

wchris21, Dec 14, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-clear orange with a amber tint, pours with a cascading off-white head that fades to a small one finger sized head.

S- Certainly a tropical smell. Unique. Mango and tangerine with a pineapple dominance. Hard to pick up a true hoppy smell.

T- Strong hop cirtus. Very bitter overall and huge bitter finish.

M- Medium carbonation, good covering on the palate. Bitterness lingers.

D- Overly bitter. The "tropical" fruit flavors are unique and the hops pack a citrus punch but the bitterness is way to much here.

Yesac, Mar 21, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

Reviewed from notes.

Served in a tulip. Pours a slightly murky light orange color with a white head and a decent amount of lacing. The nose is definitely tropical along with a big of peach and citrus. Taste is along the same lines with a dose of bitterness, though it's certainly not overly so. Mildly sweet. Feel is nice between the two. Drinks quite well and would be a nice summer seasonal.

Thorpe429, Nov 08, 2010

craftbeerasian, Oct 01, 2013
4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

Had at the Hunahpu's Release Party.

Strong Amber color, sort-a cloudy.

Nose was filled with STRONG pineapple, subtle guava, mango, citrus, and hint of pine.

Taste: WHAM - POW (hops then fruit)

Really easy to drink, and really came across as a tropical beer. Perfect beach day beer. Would like to see this bad boy offered in bombers instead of just draft. Until then get to CCB and try to snag a pint!

DosBeerigos, Mar 19, 2010

bob727, Nov 21, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -3%

Reviewing from notes. Poured into pint glass.

A- golden orange in color. Pours a thick off white head. Good retention and moderate lascing.

A- pineapple and mango with piney hops.

T- a lot like regular jai alai only a little sweeter. The pineapple and the mango aren't as prevelant as they were in the nose.

M- medium bodied with a nice level of carbonation.

D- just about as good as it gets. The sweetness isn't overbearing.

urwithdave, Apr 08, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

Thanks to Chad (RocPorterFanatic) for the sample.

Poured slightly hazy burnt tangerine with a bubbly and white head. Trails of lace here and there. The aroma is really nice, notes of dragonfruit, passionfruit, and pineapple. Citrus as well, but a sweeter type, maybe blood oranges. Taste is similar with a lovely earthiness and bitterness in the finish. The tropical fruit flavor is definitely the highlight of the beer and it works very well for it. Medium bodied and very smooth carbonation. I would do an entire growler myself.

DmanGTR, Mar 20, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

Thanks to urwithdave for sharing this one. Poured into my CCB tulip.

A: Burnt orange, with just a touch of pink. The pour drops a big 2 finger, fluffy off white head, that leaves some nice lace.

A: I get all the nice hoppy goodness and balancing caramel malt in the original, plus mango, papaya (probably what gives it the more pinkish color), and pineapple.

T: Sweeter than the regular JA. The tropical fruits add different dimensions of flavor, but I'm not sure it adds to the base beer. The mango is the dominant addition, but I also get the papaya and pineapple. Finishes sweet and dry.

M: Same as JA. Good levels of carbonation. Medium body and tingely.

D and overall impression: Not quite as drinkable as the original. The fruity sweetness will limit it here. Overall, I think this is a really good treatment on an already solid base beer, but I don't think it made the beer better. I still would prefer regular Jai Alai. Skal.

Gtreid, Mar 14, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

beernads, Sep 03, 2014
4.2/5  rDev -3%

Sampled at Ybor beer fest.

A: Pours a bright amberish hue with a tall white head. Pretty good retention and a touch of lace.

S: Aroma of pine, light citrus, and a myriad of tropical fruits. I'm guessing there is a bit of Papaya and Mango from the sister IPA's.

T: The tropical fruits lead the way. The mango stands out along with hints of pineapple. The citrus and pine is there but there was enough tropical fruit to stand out and make it quite a bit different from regular Jai Alai. The caramel malt sweetness remains to round out a pretty tasty brew.

M: Medium in body, smooth, easy drinking. Would taste extra nice on a 100 degree day.

D: Good, I enjoyed this varietal of Jai Alai.

tpd975, Mar 08, 2010

Received this brew just yesterday from ihaveyourkid down in beautiful Florida. I love any beers with fruit in them and if this really does have some fruit, I'll be a happy man. Drank from my Surly AHA Rally pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a somewhat dark copper orange with a decent half finger bright white head that fizzles away fairly quickly. A spotty cap remains along with a pretty decent collar and maybe a few specks of lacing here and there.
Smell- Nice and fruity with loads of mango, papaya and kiwi. It's very fresh smelling and reminds me a lot of a toned down Mango Momma. Maybe a tinge of pine hiding behind the fruit along with a touch of caramel but its fleeting. Mostly fruity and fresh.
Taste- Not as intensely fruity as the nose led me to believe but it's still there. A bit of mango, papaya and pineapple all make their way in underneath a piney/grassy bitterness. Not as caramelly and malty as the regular Jai Alai but I definitely like this better with the fruitiness. Saying that, there is a slight bit of a toffee that hides underneath everything and the finish is fruity with a tinge of alcohol.
Mouthfeel- Nice hefty body in this beer as it has a sort of oily slickness with super light carbonation.
Drinkability- I will say I really enjoyed this. Honestly, at first, I was slightly disappointed at the fact that the fruit isn't as potent as the nose. But as I drink this and get into the second growler pour I really appreciate that the beer isn't overly fruity. Definitely an enjoyable beer though and I'm glad I got the half growler to myself. Thanks much Joe!

younger35, Apr 18, 2010