Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Laird's Apple Brandy Barrel - Cigar City Brewing

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Laird's Apple Brandy BarrelHunahpu's Imperial Stout - Laird's Apple Brandy Barrel

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Gtreid on 03-13-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next › last »
4.83/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a rich, dark black color with minimal head and lacing. Scent is of brownie like chocolate, vanilla, apple brandy, cinnamon, oak, a touch of chili pepper and dark chocolate cherry cordials. The taste is bakers chocolate with a solid baclground of vanilla, apple brandy and cinnamon. Once again the chili is there, but not overly aggressive and dark cherry flavor rounds it out. Thick and syrupy but very smooth, no lingering boozyness. An excellent, amazing beer.

rfgetz, Jun 06, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -8.9%

On tap at capone's for beer week. I love this city and da burbs.

This version of the big ol hunna is black just like all other big stouts, with some light brown edges. Smell is of apple brandy under the base beer with the chilli's remaining in the picture and a touch of vanilla. There is a bit more chocolate & some coffee that I thought would not be as big. Taste includes chilli's mixed in with the brandy finished with a vanilla splash and a touch of alcohol. The green apples are a nice addition and come out big time. With the barrel aging, it's amazing the abv did not go up on this one. Some time brings cocco and roasted coffee and some minimal dark fruit under all that stoutness. The main tastes of the regular kind of get muted under the brandy. Full bodied, carb on the light side taste on the high side. A thick beer that calls for patience with small sips, big stuff here. When all is said and done this is great beer, but the regular is marvelous.

BARFLYB, Jun 05, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -4.7%

On tap at capones, norristown pa. Thanks matt you rock.

A- black as night with hint of brown on the edges. A small cap of dark brown creamy head.

S- huge roasted malts and dark chocolate. Hints of the apple brandy and vanilla. The cinnamon and chillies really pick up with some warming.

T- cocoa powder and cinnamon with tons of dark roasted coffee. Sweet vanilla and brownie batter. The apple brandy and chillies begin to show with some warming and really play well of each other.

M- think and chewy with some syrup and slick. Low carb but with a barrel age brew of the stature I'm not surprised the carb does give the amount of lift needed for a good ride.

D- no hint of the abv and for a brew with this level of complexity its so easy to enjoy. I like the regular version better but this is no slouch.

oglmcdgl, Jun 05, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -5.3%

Had 2 on tap in a sniffer at the source.

I don't know about anyone else but reviewing A RIS is one of the hardest "beers" to review. at this level these are almost like brandy the name of the beer has because of where its aged.

A: Dark as night, did I say dark yes its black. I have seen motor oil less dark. Blacker than black.Yet up in the sunlight there are hints of orange, caramel etc It had a nice inch of head that has foam clinging to the glass for quite a while, brown lacing. What is funny most good RIS has these characters, and is hard for me to tell a difference, I guess I need a side by side, wait I did 1 here.

S: Well as in the name this beer is aged in apple brandy, so what hit you first is alcohol. as expected. Very nice smell to me. after you get past that, there are no hops detected of course, then you get burnt chocolate, cinnamon sweetness, Apple, vanilla, and molasses. of course it takes on the barrel

T: Well this is where this beer shines. Beautiful mix of alcohol, apple brandy is the main favor of course, but vanilla, and molasses, burnt coffee, chocolate, its very complex. no hops detected and its a ris so that burn is there.

M: not much carbonation, very smooth and not as creamy as some.

D: I struggled with this 1, RIS at 11% are not something even I can just down its a sipper, but I think that fits the style, so I debated the rating but heck its my review, so I give it a 4.
I had 2 of these and i loved it but I had to switch to the other aged one before it was gone.

its of the best I had in this aged barrel style.

cheers

azorie, May 25, 2010

consumed at the cajun cafe beer fest.

P: Just like the regular hunahpu, pitch black and wicked looking, nice amber color head with good lacing.

The nose on this was unbeleivable. Not only do you get the sweetness from the chocolate, vanilla and cocoa, mixed in with the smell of brandy then to smell the slight heat of the peppers it was amazing.

So I really dont know how to sum this up properly I couldnt beleive all the great tastes I had in my mouth at once, chocolate, vanilla, cocoa, sweetness of the brandy followed by the slight bite of the peppers nirvana in my mouth.

The mouthfeel was great, perfectly carbonated just a slice of heaven in your mouth.

Drinkability, I would drink as much of this beer as often as i possibly could.

mrstevens, May 20, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +5.3%

On-tap at the Hunahpu's release party.

It is hard ranking the different versions of Hunahpu and Zhukov because they are all so damn good.

A - Black as the Labrea Tar Pits. It looks like a seething lake of crude.

S - The apple brandy gives it a strongly sweet and pungent pickled aroma. Chocolate is still available in the nose, and the vanilla fuses with the apple notes quite pleasantly. The smell formerly imparted by the spicy chilies is no longer apparent, but the nose is nearly overloaded anyway.

T - The taste is ridiculously good. The base Hunahpu exists as layers of cake, if you will, and the apple brandy barrel is the layers of icing for said cake. That is as good as I can describe it.

M - Blood-thick, oil-slick.

D - If you are so lucky... consider it a very good day.

ktrillionaire, Apr 16, 2010
4.72/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A huge thanks to ArthurPendragon for flying out to FL, getting this growler filled, flying to Chicago, and meeting Alex at Midway just for us to sample this beer! You da man!

I was told the keg blew about 80% into the fill on this growler, so we did get pretty lucky! From a smallish (not sure the ounces) Cigar City Growler into a mini-snifter.

A - Pours black, super-oily resin along the sides of the glass, motor oil to the maximum. Some bubbles, but mostly, just a black. The sticky look of this beer looks cool, no doubt about it.

S - A perfect mix of sweet apples, brandy, and the base Hunahpu's beer. The Laird's complements the Hunahpu's so well, it's hard to describe how good this beer really is. I enjoyed the base beer so much alone, this was even better. You get the chili notes mixed in there as well, very complex.

T - Everything I got from the nose, I also got on the palate. I would say it's even more complex on the palate. I can really taste all the different things going on with this beer. As complex as the base beer is, this is even moreso. Apple Brandy, chilis, molasses, toffee, burnt sugars, etc.

M - Full bodied, slight carbonation, rich and smooth.

D - I had a decently-sized sample that I really enjoyed. I wanted more, but alas, there wasn't enough after everyone got their pour. Who knows if I'll ever try this again, probably not. This was an epic beer!

EDIT: To date, this is my highest rated Imperial Stout and 2nd highest of my entire drinking career. Like I said, an epic beer!

Sean9689, Mar 22, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -4.7%

On tap at the Hunahpu's Release Party.
Probably my favorite treatment of this beer, except maybe for the bourbon aged version when it was first released several months back.
The beer is charcoal-black and pours thick and slowly, like cascading black lava, onto the snifter. Leaves about a 1/3 of an inch of foamy head at the top. Head has the color of fresh cappuccino.
In the nose I get a lot of sweet brandy notes with hints of alcohol heat, but not overbearing at all. Also some very nice vanilla, caramelized sugar and toffee.
The front palate gets that sweet brandy heat almost right away, followed by oak, dark chocolate, vanilla and in the back that ancho chile that made hunahpu's famous creeps in slowly.
This is definitely a sipping beer, the mouth-feel is robust and substantial. Viscous. Extraordinary!

Maltzilla, Mar 21, 2010

Poured from tap into CCB snifter. Reviewing from notes (not that I'd need them for this one because it was soooo freaking good even better than regular Huanahpu) taken on 3/12/10 at the release at CCB.

A- Just like the regular version, pours used motor oil. Blacker than black. A good inch of head that has nice retention. Leaves nice lacing.

S- Again, just heavenly! Big chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla, and molasses. Only this time, a big nose full of brandy to get things going.

T- Simply put....the BEST.... I repeat, the BEST beer I have ever had! Just like the base, the nose isn't far off here. Chocolate, vanilla, and molasses. Then BAM...apple brandy jumps up in the mix and just blows you away. You still get the chilie effect, the brandy doesn't overpower the complex flavours in this beer.

M- SUPERB!! CREAMY as they get. Perfect amount of carbonation. Leaves me looking forward to the next drink.

D- If I had to pick one beer to drink for the rest of eternity....this would be my choice HANDS DOWN!

urwithdave, Mar 17, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours pitch black and completely opaque without even a trace of lighter color when held to a light source with a half finger dark chocolate mocha head that quickly fades into a thick lasting ring.

Amazingly complex aroma with a huge chocolate malt presence which is only slightly roasty with hints of toffee and caramel. Sweet brandy alcohol heat that adds amazing complexity. Subtle oak and vanilla blending in with the vinous dark fruit notes.

Chewy viscous body with lots of silky chocolate maltiness that is balanced out by the vinous apple brandy barrel notes. Slightly earthy oak that is very vinous with hints of dark fruit and vanilla balancing out the chilli and roasted malt perfectly. The spicy cinnamon chilli flavor is prominent in the dry finish. Excellent! I don't see any way in which it could he improved with the exception of head retention.

corby112, Mar 15, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +3.8%

Had this on tap at the Hunahpu release party

A - pours black with a quarter inch burnt cream head

S - definate brandy smell, lots of sweet candy apple, some coffee/chocolate

T - very similar to the noise, slammed with a sweet apple brandy that mixes very well with the base Hunahpu flavors of coffee, vanilla, chocolate, cinnimon and chilies. Suprised that I like this slightly better than the bourban aged version.

M - mouth feel as with all Cigar City beers is thick and full bodied, this one in paticular is quite viscous.

D - the alcohol is present but in a good way this is definitly a sipper

kfsv034, Mar 15, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -7.2%

Loved Hunahpu, liked the bourbon BA version but found it over the top. Expected the same over the top boozy experience with the brandy BA, and was pleasantly surprised that the booze was well balanced. Hunahpu is such a complex beast that any one component out of proportion detracts from the sum of it's parts. In the case of this BA version, the brandy is subtle, leaving one to appreciate the other aspects of the beer. I still prefer the standard Hunahpu, but this wasn't too far off the mark. Well done CCB!

jwjon1, Mar 14, 2010
4.65/5  rDev -1.5%

On tap at CCB during the Hunahpu's release party.

A: Look was very similar to regular Hunahpu's, as well as bourbon Hunahpu's, which made for some fun at the table. Very dark black with a very rich deep tan head and a pretty good amount of lacing.

S: The smell of brandy is immediately present alongside all of those other beautiful scents that come along with the regular version. It's quite nice and not overpowering, but at the same time I'm not sure it really complements the essence of the Hunahpu's all that much. Left me wondering whether a "Humidor Series" Hunahpu's would have been even more outstanding. Still, very beautiful nose that I won't actually complain about.

T: Very similar assessment to the nose. The brandy actually did work pretty well, and I think this is true more so for the taste than the nose; however, still not quite a perfect 5. Again, didn't like the taste as much as the standard Hunahpu's, as I felt that some of the more subtle flavors from the original version might have a bit lost.

M: Superb. Very thick and viscous and good carbonation for the style.

D: Very beautiful. Although not nearly as drinkable as the standard version, that one was well past the standard 5.0, so I have no problem giving that to the brandy version as well. Just a beautiful sipping beer.

Thorpe429, Mar 14, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +2.3%

On-tap at the Hunahpu's release party. Served in a snifter.

A - (Copied from my Bourbon Barrel Hunahpu's review) Looks like Hunahpu's - inky black body that is impervious to light, a finger of dark, dark, mocha foam that dissipates slowly to a ring and some haze and leaves a few spots of lace. For a beer that must be pushing 12-13% (11% is for regular Hunahpu's) it looks excellent.

S - Unlike the bourbon barrel edition, the brandy presence is not overpowering. It is instead well-integrated into the the incredible depth of the base beer. Rich chocolate cake, vanilla, a touch of peppery spice, earthy woodiness, and apple brandy. The combination is incredibly unique and utterly sublime.

T - Again, it's a wonderful combination of apple brandy, chocolate truffle, vanilla, and touches of cinnamon and chili peppers. Very woody finish, although it's hard to be totally objective as I had a ton of barrel-aged beers and the tannic aftertaste started to persist despite numerous glasses of water. Still, this was the best of all the Hunahpu's variants - the barrel wasn't overpowering like the bourbon version, yet it was enhanced with a complementary flavor of tart apples.

M - (Copied from my other Hunahpu's reviews) Very smooth, sticky, full body, that is chewy and viscous. Lowish carbonation, with a dry tannic finish and only light residual stickiness. Spot on for the style, and highly satisfying.

D - It's like having a rich dessert in beer format, but without the heaviness and extreme palate fatigue. Still, this beer has the same inhibitors as all variants of Hunahpu's - the richness of flavor and high ABV would keep me from downing this all night. Still, I was far more motivated to have multiple glasses of this one than the bourbon version. It was too bad the keg kicked so quickly. One of the best beers I've ever had - can't wait for the next batch.

MasterSki, Mar 14, 2010

On tap at the Hunahpus release.

A: Pours black dark and evil, like all CCB Stouts. Very dark head, excellent retention and a crazy amount of lace.

S: Loads of barrel, woody, with a huge blast of brandy. The roast, earth, chocolate, and spice of the base Hunahpu's remains as well. It is hard to describe.

T: Pure flavor explosion in your mouth. I really didn't think you can improve on the base beer but they have. The brandy barrel just puts this one in another class. Huge brandy barrel without being over the top. Tons of charred malt, earthy chocolate, light chili's and hints of vanilla. Rich chocolate, light molasses, and a dash of unicorn horn.

M: Very full in body, bold, rich, perfect.

D: Not really nor is it made to be. One I could sip on for days though.

tpd975, Mar 13, 2010

On tap at the Hunahpu's release party. Poured into a CCB snifter.

A: Black as black can get. Big mocha head appears then quickley fades to a thin rim. Very nice looking, just like the original Hunahpu.

A: All of the scents from the Hunahpu, chocolate, vanilla, roasted malt, and spice, plus a nice healthy dose of the Apple Brandy. Supurb!

T: I have been drinking beer for quite some time, and have tried many beers. Many more then what I have reviewed here. And I have never had a holy shit moment...until this beer hit my lips. The brandy barrels play perfectly with the chocolate spice from the Hunahpu. The sweet chocolate and vanilla just tantalize every taste bud. And the Apple brandy helps the brew to finish clean, sweet, and just plain awsome.

M: Again, perfect! Creamy, smooth, and viscous. Heavy body, decent amount of carbonation.

D and overall impression: Even though this rings in at 11%, I could drink this all night. Overall, I never did beleive in giving perfect 5's, I thought how can you rate a brew perfect if you haven't had everything in that style. Well, my mind has been changed. This is perfect! I just can't see how anything could ever be better than this. The best beer I have ever had, hands down! Skal.

Gtreid, Mar 13, 2010