Join our email list →

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Laird's Apple Brandy Barrel - Cigar City Brewing

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Laird's Apple Brandy BarrelHunahpu's Imperial Stout - Laird's Apple Brandy Barrel

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States | website

American Double / Imperial Stout | 11.50% ABV

Beer added by: Gtreid on 03-13-2010

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
4.69/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

L-dark, black as you would expect. dark tan lacing

S-Spices, dark fruit, oak, vanilla, brandy, tons going on very complex.

T-brandy ,dark fruits ,oak ,chocolate, spices, chilies very complex, amazing taste. very decadent ,sweet, dessert like. Could taste this 100 times more and probably pic out different flavors

F-full bodied low carbonation.

O-amazing one of my favorites in recent memory

4.52/5  rDev -1.5%

On tap at the Hunahpu's Release Party.
Probably my favorite treatment of this beer, except maybe for the bourbon aged version when it was first released several months back.
The beer is charcoal-black and pours thick and slowly, like cascading black lava, onto the snifter. Leaves about a 1/3 of an inch of foamy head at the top. Head has the color of fresh cappuccino.
In the nose I get a lot of sweet brandy notes with hints of alcohol heat, but not overbearing at all. Also some very nice vanilla, caramelized sugar and toffee.
The front palate gets that sweet brandy heat almost right away, followed by oak, dark chocolate, vanilla and in the back that ancho chile that made hunahpu's famous creeps in slowly.
This is definitely a sipping beer, the mouth-feel is robust and substantial. Viscous. Extraordinary!

consumed at the cajun cafe beer fest.

P: Just like the regular hunahpu, pitch black and wicked looking, nice amber color head with good lacing.

The nose on this was unbeleivable. Not only do you get the sweetness from the chocolate, vanilla and cocoa, mixed in with the smell of brandy then to smell the slight heat of the peppers it was amazing.

So I really dont know how to sum this up properly I couldnt beleive all the great tastes I had in my mouth at once, chocolate, vanilla, cocoa, sweetness of the brandy followed by the slight bite of the peppers nirvana in my mouth.

The mouthfeel was great, perfectly carbonated just a slice of heaven in your mouth.

Drinkability, I would drink as much of this beer as often as i possibly could.

4.77/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to MEAT at Mr. Beery's Sarasota for pouring samples of bottle 32/84.

My first review, and I find it fitting since it's one of the best imp stouts I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. Thick as mud and little head when poured.

On the nose, obviously brandy, and that's a good thing. Spices and chocolate follow but they are definitely in the background.

Taste was ridiculous, the brandy came through immediately and lingered as the chili, charred wood and roasted characteristics came through. The booze was very present, lightly masked and hot, which I happen to enjoy... this could be a turnoff for some.

Overall I wish I could get my hands on more of this brew, it's a shame there are so few, but I'm glad there are people willing to share it.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last